Axiim Q WiSA-compliant wireless AVR - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #61 of 218 Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Q) Are there any companies that offer 1-channel Wisa receiver modules to attach to existing powered non-Wisa speakers?
The only thing I've found is the BeoLab Receiver 1. Which, unless you happen to have B&O speakers, would also require some kind of "PowerLink" to non-proprietary converter (e.g. this). Not very convenient if you live in the US.

If WiSA takes off, I suspect that there's a market for a standalone WiSA retrofit device that plugs into wall power and has a single output (a pair of speaker binding posts). Basically the existing Axiim speaker with the loudspeaker removed. The target market would be folks who already have a few nice speakers and want to move to WiSA piecemeal. For what it's worth, I'd buy two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 218 Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Since there is no room correction, could I attach a NanoAVR-DL to one of the inputs and connect my devices to the Nano-DL for processed sound or will the WiSA onboard decoder reprocess the DL signal?

Thanks

Last edited by snyderkv; 06-03-2016 at 08:22 PM.
post #63 of 218 Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool Integrating B&O

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralOut View Post
After much deliberation, I recently purchased an Axiim Q wireless AVR (as part of a 5.1 WiSA home theater bundle). I got everything set up yesterday, and so far I’m super impressed (configuration was dead simple, and it sounds awesome).

Since it looks like nobody’s started an Axiim thread yet, I figured I’d do the honors. I’ll try to keep the FAQ updated as time goes by.
Hi SpiralOut!

Thanks for opening this thread about the amazing Axiim Q system.

I live in Denmark and bought the system now two months ago. The Axiim Team was very helpfull in the shipping to Denmark as the are not represented in Europe yet.

I believe you state that Axiim is the first that implement the WISA standards in a 5.1/ 7.1 system. This is not quite true as Bang and Olufsen has been delivering WISA based systems for about 2 years now (se their Immaculate Wireless Sound system on B&O's homepage). As I have a lot of B&O systems in my house I experiment to add some Beolab 8000 loudspeakers as front speakers using the Beolink Receiver 1 units. I will come back to you all with the results and some pictures later

Looking forward to share my experience with you all in this forum

mentallapse.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 218 Old 06-20-2016, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone else have a review of this system? I'm looking to get this or the Enclave 5.1 wireless system. It's a bummer that they are now selling the Axiim for 2500$ seems a little steep. The Enclave is only 1200 by comparison.
post #65 of 218 Old 09-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Talking Axiim Q UHD Media Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
Are you all not worried about the axiim not supporting hdmi 2.0? It's a brand new receiver and won't support 4K and of the newer video innovations like HDR video. I myself don't even care about 4K that much but HDR video is a game changer.

I would be on this product in a second if it supported it but buying a receiver that's going to be obsolete so quickly doesn't make much sense. I'm boggled why they wouldn't include hdmi 2.0 in something so brand new.
Hi @gustovier

We have listened to feedback and are happy to announce the Axiim Q UHD Media Center which includes 6x HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 ports with HDR support.

See https://www.missingremote.com/news/2...ing-users-free for more information

As the caption above states, existing customers will receive a FREE upgrade to the 4K version of Q, AND you get to keep your old Q as well.
Diverge likes this.

Last edited by mikinho; 09-22-2016 at 08:50 PM.
post #66 of 218 Old 10-05-2016, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Very interested in this setup.

A fair number of reviews about the tech in general and easy setup, but not much out there about the actual sound quality.

Currently I have a 5.1 setup with KEF Q100s front/rear, Q600 center and KEF sub with a Denon X1200 AVR.

Going to be in the same quality range?...
post #67 of 218 Old 10-06-2016, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkchris View Post

A fair number of reviews about the tech in general and easy setup, but not much out there about the actual sound quality.

Currently I have a 5.1 setup with KEF Q100s front/rear, Q600 center and KEF sub with a Denon X1200 AVR.

I can't comment on KEFs but I upgraded to the axiim from a complete monoprice 5.1 system (except my sub Klipsch Sub-12HG) powered by a pioneer VSX-1022-K. Obviously the axiim is in a whole different league (and better be for the price point) but I was completely blown away. My space is a little large which made me initially concerned about stepping down to a 10" sub but I have no complaints. I also love the ability to take a speaker or 2 out on the back porch when we are grilling. I never envisioned wanting to do that before but I have grown to love that. The wife is happy because the CEC is almost magically automatic. Everything just seems to work the way you would expect it to without farting with multiple remotes.
mikinho likes this.
post #68 of 218 Old 10-07-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

It's very difficult to compare to a specific setup for many reasons. Taking your scenario, I don't have any experience with KEF speakers. Also, in a more general sense what is "good" is often complicated by what is "familiar". We get used to something sounding a particular way and that becomes the standard.

All that said, I would be surprised if the Q wasn't at least as good as your current setup. Certainly the best HT kit solution I've listened to, and very consistent with (or better) than a roll-your-own system at a similar price point. The amps are in the cabinets, so you will lose some air movement v. a similar sized [traditional] bookshelf speaker, but I think Axiim more than made up for this with the sub they selected.
post #69 of 218 Old 10-07-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
but I think Axiim more than made up for this with the sub they selected.
And you can easily buy another subwoofer (or 3)
post #70 of 218 Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
It's very difficult to compare to a specific setup for many reasons. Taking your scenario, I don't have any experience with KEF speakers. Also, in a more general sense what is "good" is often complicated by what is "familiar". We get used to something sounding a particular way and that becomes the standard.

All that said, I would be surprised if the Q wasn't at least as good as your current setup. Certainly the best HT kit solution I've listened to, and very consistent with (or better) than a roll-your-own system at a similar price point. The amps are in the cabinets, so you will lose some air movement v. a similar sized [traditional] bookshelf speaker, but I think Axiim more than made up for this with the sub they selected.
@babgvant

Since I am just trying out things at home right now (currently the KEF setup), how would you compare to the SVS Prime setup? I know you guys gave a great review of the SVS prime in the tower/sat form, I am thinking of testing out a full satellite setup from SVS next.

Appreciate the comments on general sound, knowing that its pretty subjective.
post #71 of 218 Old 10-08-2016, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@babgvant

Since I am just trying out things at home right now (currently the KEF setup), how would you compare to the SVS Prime setup? I know you guys gave a great review of the SVS prime in the tower/sat form, I am thinking of testing out a full satellite setup from SVS next.

Appreciate the comments on general sound, knowing that its pretty subjective.
The SVS Prime Towers & Center are some of the best sounding speakers at their price point that I've listened to. The Surrounds are quite good as well, but they don't quite stand out in the same way that the tower/center do, but given their role in the experience that's not really critical either. If you have a decent AVR, and the wires are there, @$1550 kit it's an outstanding value (I ended up buying the review kit), but you will need to ensure that your A/V cabinet can handle the center - it's truly massive.

Since you already have an AVR the @$1000 satellite+sub kit is definitely worth a trial. I've never heard one of their subs, but I've read really good things about them.
post #72 of 218 Old 10-23-2016, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No 3.5mm input

Hi

What if I want to connect a non-bluetooth mp3 player? Can that be done? A quick look at Amazon does not show any 3.5mm to HDMI adapters. Am I going to have to use a Bluetooth dongle on the mp3 player?

Also, will I be able to switch inputs without turning on the TV, for example to listen to a Bluetooth source?

TIA
post #73 of 218 Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Hi

What if I want to connect a non-bluetooth mp3 player? Can that be done? A quick look at Amazon does not show any 3.5mm to HDMI adapters. Am I going to have to use a Bluetooth dongle on the mp3 player?
There aren't any analog inputs on the Q. You can play music directly on the Q from an attached HDD, but that would require turning on the display. I don't think it supports DLNA so that's not an option either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Also, will I be able to switch inputs without turning on the TV, for example to listen to a Bluetooth source?

TIA
You can change inputs via the remote or the app w/o turning on the TV. If you have CEC enabled it will turn on the TV though, so that's a limitation.
post #74 of 218 Old 10-25-2016, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the help. I have also got some very useful help from Ryan at Axiim and I placed my order about an hour ago. I am looking forward to receiving it.

Thanks again.

Norman

Last edited by Norm; 10-25-2016 at 01:14 PM.
post #75 of 218 Old 11-23-2016, 02:33 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that we released a beta firmware today v16.1111.1712

We added zone support. I'm currently enjoying 5.1 in the family room and listening to two additional speakers in the kitchen.

-Michael
post #76 of 218 Old 11-30-2016, 04:32 PM

Does any have (or could supply) any photos of what the power adaptors for the Axiim Q speakers look like? I'm curious how conspicuous they will be for certain speaker locations.

Thanks
post #77 of 218 Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ray View Post
Does any have (or could supply) any photos of what the power adaptors for the Axiim Q speakers look like? I'm curious how conspicuous they will be for certain speaker locations.

Thanks
I won't be home until tomorrow but I can send photos then.
post #78 of 218 Old 12-12-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Dear owners,

1. How would you describe the surround sound fidelity, range, and richness delivered by the axiim q 5.1 while watching a movie? What about spatial positioning of sounds coming from the left and right? Immersive? Is it comparable to the high-end wired surround speaker setup?

2. Can you stream music to the speakers via Wifi? or only via Bluetooth?

Thank You
post #79 of 218 Old 01-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronferri View Post
Dear owners,

1. How would you describe the surround sound fidelity, range, and richness delivered by the axiim q 5.1 while watching a movie? What about spatial positioning of sounds coming from the left and right? Immersive? Is it comparable to the high-end wired surround speaker setup?

2. Can you stream music to the speakers via Wifi? or only via Bluetooth?

Thank You
I had the speakers for a little bit. I ended up returning them because they were not appropriate for my space. Based on some of the reviews and advertising I had very high expectations. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the axiim q is amazing for the price. However, I was hoping for $2K it would equal my existing ~$2K wired passive speaker setup (infinity towers and center with velodyne rear surrounds, and 12 inch subwoofer). That price of course doesn't even include my AV receiver.

I really wanted it to work, especially since I liked how small and slick the axiim q receiver looked, not to mention fairly advanced audio support. That and the fact that I'd get a free 4K receiver upgrade (while keeping the old one) was hard to pass up.

However, I have a fairly large living room and found the speakers couldn't provide the depth and body of sound I was accustomed to in that space. Clarity of sound, especially dialogue, was superb. When listening to music, though, it lacked some richness. Again, my comparison is unfair since I'm comparing it to floorstandong towers that are more than 5 times the size.

If I ever need a second surround sound setup in a smaller space and didn't want to deal with running speaker cable, this would be on my shortlist of speakers to audition.

Kudos to the Axiim q team for making the return process a breeze. Packaging and delivery were excellent and setup was a breeze. I wish my Harmony elite remote could replace the Axiim q remote via Bluetooth. It can't replace it as a Bluetooth remote, but can replace it as an IR remote if you invest in a cheap ir receiver you plug into the back of the axiim q av receiver.

It was hard returning this because I think the quality is superb for the value. I was simply looking for a higher quality system that unfortunately will cost me a higher price. You get what you pay for... Although, you get a lot at from the Axiim q at the $2K sale price. I think I will end up paying over $3K all in for something that works for my space (wife says I need to lose the towers and massive center) for our renovated living room for something more discreet.
post #80 of 218 Old 02-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi everybody. Does anyone have experience shipping the Axiim system to Europe? I am looking to buy and wonder what your experiences are. Thnx!

I see in this thread user 'mentallapse' has shipped to Denmark, but he hasn't been on in months.
post #81 of 218 Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'm wishing for a 5.2.4 Axiim system capable of Atmos & DTS:X. PLEASE!!!

post #82 of 218 Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willemvanvugt View Post
Hi everybody. Does anyone have experience shipping the Axiim system to Europe? I am looking to buy and wonder what your experiences are. Thnx!

I see in this thread user 'mentallapse' has shipped to Denmark, but he hasn't been on in months.

I had the Q delivered to Germany via Fedex within a few business days. Due to CE-conformity the Q shouldn't have any issues to pass customs.

Axiim did an awesome job by
a) covering all the taxes and half the shipping-costs (Axiim offered this)
b) being able to provide the correct plugs for the local sockets (I asked for this).
post #83 of 218 Old 02-25-2017, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionceau View Post
I had the Q delivered to Germany via Fedex within a few business days. Due to CE-conformity the Q shouldn't have any issues to pass customs.

Axiim did an awesome job by
a) covering all the taxes and half the shipping-costs (Axiim offered this)
b) being able to provide the correct plugs for the local sockets (I asked for this).
Thnx for the reply. I got a quote from Axiim and they told me the costs to ship to the Netherlands would be 375 USD. I passed on the offer...
post #84 of 218 Old 03-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys!!

I'm new to the forum (this is my first post) and have really only registered to ask some questions about Axiim and the Q.

The 5.1 Q system is exactly what I need for my small apartment but I've held off making a purchase while I do my research. There appears to be limited coverage of the system and company online and Axiim's social media accounts are fairly dormant. In fact, this forum seems to be the only place where anyone is even talking about Axiim at all.

I was wondering if owners of the Q could chime in and speak to their satisfaction with the product, with ongoing communication from the company and with continuing system updates.

Has anyone received their 4K AVR update yet? Have there been any updates from Axiim regarding the 4K AVR since it was announced?

Honestly, if the Axiim Q cost less (damn myself for not learning about it until after the Beta and Black Friday sales!!) I'd just suck it up and make the purchase but $2500 is just too steep for me to spend at the moment without having a greater degree of confidence that it will be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks so much for your patience and attention and for any response you might be able to offer.

Best,

b.
post #85 of 218 Old 03-07-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
The 5.1 Q system is exactly what I need for my small apartment but I've held off making a purchase while I do my research. There appears to be limited coverage of the system and company online and Axiim's social media accounts are fairly dormant. In fact, this forum seems to be the only place where anyone is even talking about Axiim at all.

I was pretty hesitant (for the same reasons + seeing that at least 1 out of 3 Amazon reviews at that time came from Axiim-staff) myself before I decided to purchase the 5.1 Q. I jumped into the cold water and didn't regret it so far... yet I'm a Little concerned about the future of the company and about customer service if anything ever breaks.

Quote:
I was wondering if owners of the Q could chime in and speak to their satisfaction with the product, with ongoing communication from the company and with continuing system updates.

I think WiSA-technology itself offers a great solution to wireless surround sound (there do exist alternatives / workaround-technologies).

The big deal about the Axiim Q - at least in my opinion - is the Q Wireless Media Center. Not for being WiSA-compliant but for the seamless App-Integration and a formidable on screen menu. I cannot emphasize enough the fact how much I love controlling my whole home cinema by using the Axiim-app on my smartphone (instead of 5 different remote controls). CEC is working flawlessly for me.

I haven't found any information about other companies offering a similar on screen menu. In my eyes this is the main reason which makes setting up and adjusting speakers so easy... it's self explaining.

As for the speakers: They offer a decent sound quality, especially the center does a good job at providing clear dialogues. In my case the 5.1-system offers enough loudness for a 30 square meter home cinema (while living next to a busy street). I think you can find better (wired) speakers at a much smaller price point - but then you wouldn't be looking for the Q in the first place.

About communications: Axiim was very helpful by answering all questions prior to my order and they did a great job by providing the correct plugs for German sockets. I think I never received an answer to the only ticket I ever issued (could solve my question through the help of LG customer service to which I issued a ticket for the same reason).

Overall I (as a non audio-fanatic) am very satisfied with the Q.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Has anyone received their 4K AVR update yet? Have there been any updates from Axiim regarding the 4K AVR since it was announced?

It didn't hit the store yet and no, as an existing customer I didn't receive any info / update so far.

Quote:
Honestly, if the Axiim Q cost less (damn myself for not learning about it until after the Beta and Black Friday sales!!) I'd just suck it up and make the purchase but $2500 is just too steep for me to spend at the moment without having a greater degree of confidence that it will be a worthwhile investment.

There are cheaper WiSA-compliant speakers out there but I cannot tell you anything about those.

How about waiting for the next black friday sales? (0;
post #86 of 218 Old 03-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Availability?

Where are you able to buy the Axiim system right now? On their site it says sold out, Amazon doesn't have it, nor Best Buy.
post #87 of 218 Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 AM

Try Axiim's facebook page. They still offer the Q there.
post #88 of 218 Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionceau View Post
Try Axiim's facebook page. They still offer the Q there.
it says they're sold out there, too.
post #89 of 218 Old 04-13-2017, 12:31 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Hi guys!!

I'm new to the forum (this is my first post) and have really only registered to ask some questions about Axiim and the Q.

Thanks so much for your patience and attention and for any response you might be able to offer.

Best,

b.
I have had mine a while now. And I really like it. I've had some issues here and there, and support (mikinho) has always been great working them out and fixing bugs. However I've had a few issues for a while now that haven't been addressed yet. One being some sort of incompatibility with Ubiquiti access points - where the Q (axiim AVR) will require a power cycle/reboot for the wireless (ethernet - not speaker comms) to even function normally again (once in this state, it won't even scan for SSIDs). The other issue is that periodically while watching Netflix on my Nvidia Shield TV (w/ passthrough enabled - bitstream), the audio with sometimes glitch. This one isn't easily repeatable, but I watch a lot of Netflix, so it pops up for a little bit every now and then.

I just reached out to support yesterday to ask if they had any progress with the wireless bug, after not hearing back from them for months, but so far haven't gotten a reply. I have not gotten the promised 4K upgrade yet, and I hope the lack of updates recently means they are working hard on it, and squashing any bugs that the 1st version has/had.

edit: I just got a reply back from Axiim support saying they are currently sold out of the current version, working hard on the 4k version, and looking for an alternative wifi solution for the 4k version.

Last edited by Diverge; 04-13-2017 at 05:10 PM.
post #90 of 218 Old 04-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post
I have had mine a while now. And I really like it. I've had some issues here and there, and support (mikinho) has always been great working them out and fixing bugs. However I've had a few issues for a while now that haven't been addressed yet. One being some sort of incompatibility with Ubiquiti access points - where the Q (axiim AVR) will require a power cycle/reboot for the wireless (ethernet - not speaker comms) to even function normally again (once in this state, it won't even scan for SSIDs). The other issue is that periodically while watching Netflix on my Nvidia Shield TV (w/ passthrough enabled - bitstream), the audio with sometimes glitch. This one isn't easily repeatable, but I watch a lot of Netflix, so it pops up for a little bit every now and then.

I just reached out to support yesterday to ask if they had any progress with the wireless bug, after not hearing back from them for months, but so far haven't gotten a reply. I have not gotten the promised 4K upgrade yet, and I hope the lack of updates recently means they are working hard on it, and squashing any bugs that the 1st version has/had.

edit: I just got a reply back from Axiim support saying they are currently sold out of the current version, working hard on the 4k version, and looking for an alternative wifi solution for the 4k version.
Did they mention anything about the Shield/Netflix glitch. I also have that issue. Before I had the shield, I used to have the same glitch/noise when using a roku 4, but this time it was only with Pandora.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
axiim , wisa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page