post #3121 of 4008 Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7061 Post(s)
Liked: 6070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Any idea if the DTS:X mix will make it to BD?
The movie is already out on BD and probably sold as much as it's going to sell, so I doubt they'll re-author the title and release a newer edition solely for the immersive audio mix. At this point, anyone serious about collecting Atmos and DTS:X titles should be migrating over to UHD (even if they can't play back video in 4K).
Scott Simonian likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 4008 Old 03-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
The movie is already out on BD and probably sold as much as it's going to sell, so I doubt they'll re-author the title and release a newer edition solely for the immersive audio mix. At this point, anyone serious about collecting Atmos and DTS:X titles should be migrating over to UHD (even if they can't play back video in 4K).

post #3123 of 4008 Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:

Yeah, I think we've hit critical mass in the switchover to UHD as the go-to format for immersive audio. At this point, is there any studio still releasing any Atmos or DTS:X content on BD exclusively?

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 4008 Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
At this point, is there any studio still releasing any Atmos or DTS:X content on BD exclusively?
Not studio, but there are Atmos titles exclusive to BD, probably because they didn't do well enough theatrically to get a UHD release. Recent examples include: Swiss Army Man, Blair Witch, Live by Night, Monster Trucks (originally slated for UHD but cancelled). That's not happening on the DTS:X side, where titles recently released on BD (Jason Bourne, Girl on the Train, Patriots Day, Fifty Shades Darker) were ALL released on UHD as well.

Sanjay
post #3125 of 4008 Old 03-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4018 Post(s)
Liked: 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
I watched *Hero* yesterday and using the Dts Neural it sounded great! Especially the scene in the Chesshouse with the rain. The arrows flying everywhere was really great. It's amazing at least to me how many of the 5.1 Master Audio Blu ray movies sound when you use the up-converter.
It's a shame Disney couldn't be bothered to put that movie's original Mandarin language track in DTS-HD Master Audio. It's just Dolby Digital 5.1. Only the English dub is lossless.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #3126 of 4008 Old 03-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3833 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
When it comes to home video releases isn't this something that could start a thread OVER AND OVER AND OVER again?

Quote:
It's a shame Disney couldn't be bothered to................................................ .................................................. ..........

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #3127 of 4008 Old 03-24-2017, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4018 Post(s)
Liked: 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
When it comes to home video releases isn't this something that could start a thread OVER AND OVER AND OVER again?
So true. So very, very, very true.
westbergjoakim likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #3128 of 4008 Old 03-25-2017, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
At this point, anyone serious about collecting Atmos and DTS:X titles should be migrating over to UHD (even if they can't play back video in 4K).
A UHD player will be the first thing to get once my room is operational. I just like the convenience of using the Nvidia Shield for playing content from my server instead of shuffling discs and endure the pain of "You wouldn't download a car" and other annoying and unskippable clips before getting to the film itself.

Hopefully someone will either figure out how to crack AACS2.0 or release a DRM protection similar to what is used by Kaleidescape so we legally can buy digital copies of UHD discs.
sdurani and sprins like this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #3129 of 4008 Old 03-25-2017, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
A UHD player will be the first thing to get once my room is operational. I just like the convenience of using the Nvidia Shield for playing content from my server instead of shuffling discs and endure the pain of "You wouldn't download a car" and other annoying and unskippable clips before getting to the film itself.

Hopefully someone will either figure out how to crack AACS2.0 or release a DRM protection similar to what is used by Kaleidescape so we legally can buy digital copies of UHD discs.
Mashie Saldana likes this.
post #3130 of 4008 Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:

Or you can buy a K-Scape Strato for approximately $4500 (6 TB storage) and use it to download BDs and UHDs from the Store. Unfortunately not all UHDs in their store have Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks, even when released with them in shiny disc format. Maybe by the time your room is ready they'll get the studios on board for that. LOL.

Somehow a UHD player and shiny discs is a better overall option.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #3131 of 4008 Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Or you can buy a K-Scape Strato for approximately $4500 (6 TB storage) and use it to download BDs and UHDs from the Store. Unfortunately not all UHDs in their store have Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks, even when released with them in shiny disc format. Maybe by the time your room is ready they'll get the studios on board for that. LOL.

Somehow a UHD player and shiny discs is a better overall option.
The K-Scape isn't available outside of the US last I checked and it is stupidly priced as we all know. So yes shiny discs will be the route forward, just not my preferred one.

My room should be done in the next three weeks, hopefully, as I need to start some other DIY projects in the garden by then.

Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #3132 of 4008 Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Yeah, I have a pretty overkill HTPC for blu-ray playback, but haven't tested true 4K content (not streamed stuff). I really don't look forward to the idea of having my HTPC for about 600 or so blu-ray rips from my discs, and then having to put in a 4K disc if I want immersive audio (my projector is a 1080p JVC). My thought on the whole thing is that I could buy the UHD movies, rip the regular blu-ray to my media server, and then when *I* (the only person that really cares about the audio quality in our house it seems) want to watch something with an immersive track, I pop in the disc. The rest of the family just uses the HTPC like usual. Not ideal, but it would at least keep things simple for them (which was a major selling point of getting a HTPC in our house), and still allows for me to get the best audio open with the slight inconvenience of having to put a disc in, plus the price of the player and premium for the UHD version of the movies.

So all is not lost, but I agree that it would be nice to have it all in one place.
post #3133 of 4008 Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
My three year old is addicted to the trailer on YouTube. If he ever sees this at a store I'll never get my HT back...
Your three year old will be happy to know that Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2 are due in June on UHD with DTS:X soundtracks. Neither movie had an immersive mix for theatrical release, so these are brand new mixes specifically for home video.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Sanjay
post #3134 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Bass Enabler

Sooo....

I was reading a review about F&F6 on UHD. Was curious about the DTS:X sound mix. Got myself directed to the Blu-ray.com forums for a discussion about that particular disc. To sum it up, the main complain was that the Extended Edition of the movie only contains a DTS 5.1 track while the Theatrical Cut got a new DTS:X re-mix. However the discussion went to something nobody really talks about in this thread...

DTS:X

and

DTS:X Master Audio

See where this is going?

I'm going to finally get my hands on a UHD player in the next week or two. Already have a small collection of UHD's, some with DTS:X.

It will be interesting to point out that the vast majority of DTS:X releases have possibly been.... lossy DTS:X encodes.
yanks1 likes this.
post #3135 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I'm going to finally get my hands on a UHD player in the next week or two. Already have a small collection of UHD's, some with DTS:X.

It will be interesting to point out that the vast majority of DTS:X releases have possibly been.... lossy DTS:X encodes.
Which player are you going with?

I'm pretty sure the DTS:X tracks​ on the BD releases are way bigger than standard DTS. Now if they are lossless is a good question.

post #3136 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Sooo....

I was reading a review about F&F6 on UHD. Was curious about the DTS:X sound mix. Got myself directed to the Blu-ray.com forums for a discussion about that particular disc. To sum it up, the main complain was that the Extended Edition of the movie only contains a DTS 5.1 track while the Theatrical Cut got a new DTS:X re-mix. However the discussion went to something nobody really talks about in this thread...

and

See where this is going?

I was worried about that as well. I've been participating in the thread you mention and spot checked a handful of my discs and they were all showing DTSX MSTR with the exception of F&F6 & 7. Tested ID4, Jason Bourne & The Bourne Supremacy. At least now I know to pay attention on DTSX discs!
post #3137 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Which player are you going with?

I'm pretty sure the DTS:X tracks​ on the BD releases are way bigger than standard DTS. Now if they are lossless is a good question.
The Oppo 203.

Well....yeah, we knew that though. Immersive audio tracks are definitely larger than their legacy non-immersive counterparts. That's never been a real issue people bring up or worry about.

But people round here might get upset that their shiny new disc format has that old lossy stuff on it.

So far 100% of Dolby Atmos BD's and UHD's have been encoded in TrueHD and not DD+.

I'd like to see how often the signal is flagged as DTS:X MSTR instead of just DTS:X. And if it does does it mean that if it doesn't say MSTR that it isn't lossless or that some metadata flag isn't present to say it's lossless.

These are the things that keep me on these boards. Knowledge.
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #3138 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidus28 View Post
I was worried about that as well. I've been participating in the thread you mention and spot checked a handful of my discs and they were all showing DTSX MSTR with the exception of F&F6 & 7. Tested ID4, Jason Bourne & The Bourne Supremacy. At least now I know to pay attention on DTSX discs!
Ah yes. I did read your posts. Thank you for checking out for us!

It must be said... I certainly can not hear the difference. It's just the principle of the matter.
mrtickleuk and unretarded like this.
post #3139 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Ah yes. I did read your posts. Thank you for checking out for us!

It must be said... I certainly can not hear the difference. It's just the principle of the matter.
I'm sure I'm in the same boat Had I never paid any attention to the F&F thread, I'm sure I would've just thought it was an excellent DTSX mix and been none the wiser. Now it will forever bother me...what could it have been!
post #3140 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidus28 View Post
I'm sure I'm in the same boat Had I never paid any attention to the F&F thread, I'm sure I would've just thought it was an excellent DTSX mix and been none the wiser. Now it will forever bother me...what could it have been!
I've had this discussion with a friend.

I would rather have a lossy HR DTS:X track over a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track.

As long as the new immersive mix was good, of course.

Even better... have both. And in some cases, I do.
post #3141 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 943
I found "Patriots Day" to have a worthwhile DTS:X track, and found the movie itself very powerful and involving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3142 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
So far 100% of Dolby Atmos BD's and UHD's have been encoded in TrueHD and not DD+.
Well, 99%. I just had that question come up in another thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post51899041

Either way, interesting research. I did not know DTS could to X on HR. Unlike with Atmos/DD+, there are no streaming services using that format.
post #3143 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
When can we get Hockey in DTS-x? Football?

I mean these formats are as bad and BS driven as 4k

WHERE IS THE OTA CONTENT?

Where?

Where's my 1080p! Hockey? Football? etc

It's a joke "DTS-X" certified - for what ? 50 Shades of Grey ? Oh wow did you hear that zipper noise? yeah it's all around the room "

Where is my 4K DTS-X NHL ?

I believe these are fair questions considering the cash we've spent on TV's and speakers and AVRs - unless you're enthralled that you can stream .. "Deezer"
post #3144 of 4008 Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Isn't that what had to be expected ?
New technology not only on the horizon, but built in without real content ? The consumer electronics industry is just lustering (begging) for any new technology to sell their stuff without caring about delivery of content. They need incentives for selling their "new" stuff every year, but technology and its accompanying content doesn't live up to the challenge. How could they, because it usually takes years to introduce something really new into the market until penetrated widely.
The only thing those new surround formats are good for is mostly their upmixers, which will be used most of the time right now due to lack of native content.
post #3145 of 4008 Old 03-31-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 3259
Quote:
Sooo....

and

See where this is going?

Wait, say what? DTS:X is lossy? Like DD+ Atmos?

Well, DTS has really lost the ball on this 3D sound subject....

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #3146 of 4008 Old 03-31-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 4522 Post(s)
Liked: 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
No. One release (a movie about criminals driving cars too quickly, which the OP referred to) is currently causing consternation because of an authoring issue/bug/problem where it's seeming that they've used a lossy core. Many people can't play the disc at all. It seems to be an authoring fault and it will have to be re-pressed.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #3147 of 4008 Old 03-31-2017, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post

I mean these formats are as bad and BS driven as 4k

WHERE IS THE OTA CONTENT?

Where?

Where's my 1080p! Hockey? Football? etc

It's a joke "DTS-X" certified - for what ? 50 Shades of Grey ? Oh wow did you hear that zipper noise? yeah it's all around the room "

Where is my 4K DTS-X NHL ?

I believe these are fair questions considering the cash we've spent on TV's and speakers and AVRs - unless you're enthralled that you can stream .. "Deezer"
Dolby is hard at work, regarding sports and immersive audio:

BT Sport delivers “the beautiful game” live in Dolby Atmos and Ultra HD

This will become more common once AC4 is out, with the switch to ATSC 3.0. It's also expected that broadcasters will change their video resolution to 1080p60 at that time, possibly with Dynamic HDR (ITU-R Bt.2100, SMPTE 2094).

AC4 is giving Broadcasters a lot more tools to work with than the current Atmos or DTS:X, which were developed for movies, not live content. Also, DTS has zero foothold in broadcasting, that's all Dolby.
post #3148 of 4008 Old 03-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
DTS:X OTA? Likely never.

Expect Dolby Atmos transmissions soon-ish.
post #3149 of 4008 Old 03-31-2017, 09:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post

Well, DTS has really lost the ball on this 3D sound subject....
I can't disagree with you on that last one, unfortunately but.... no, I was merely speculating based off the designations for DTS:X that there is a lossy version.

Very little official documentation has come out for DTS:X so it's hard to say how all this stuff works. Why have two designations for this signal if they are the same?
post #3150 of 4008 Old 03-31-2017, 09:41 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
No. One release (a movie about criminals driving cars too quickly, which the OP referred to) is currently causing consternation because of an authoring issue/bug/problem where it's seeming that they've used a lossy core. Many people can't play the disc at all. It seems to be an authoring fault and it will have to be re-pressed.
Actually, pretty much all current DTS:X titles show up as DTS:X and not DTS:X MSTR. I was simply reading about F&F6 when I was directed to a thread that also mentioned that there is a DTS:X and a DTS:X MSTR signal. Nothing to do with F&F6 other than that people talked about this in a thread about F&F6. Afaik, the new F&F remixes are no different from all the other DTS:X tracks out there. The "issue" with the F&F6 disc was that there was only old DTS 5.1 on the Extended Cut. Not even DTS-HD. That was the issue with F&F6.

Some DTS:X signals trip the decoder to say it is DTS:X MSTR. Does that mean that when it doesn't say that it is a lossy signal or simply a metadata thing and it's all the same?

I have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page