McIntosh MX122 A/V Processor - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 211 Old 06-06-2018, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JFR0317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I just received the update notification on my MX122 saying that the available update adds Dolby Vision and HLG capability. My unit is now updating. I'm very pleased this has finally showed up.
markmanner likes this.

John
JFR0317 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 211 Old 06-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
I just received the update notification on my MX122 saying that the available update adds Dolby Vision and HLG capability. My unit is now updating. I'm very pleased this has finally showed up.
Mine is updating now. If it works well, this solves my ATV 4K 'how do I get DD+ and PCM from my ATV to my MX122 since it doesn't pass DV' problem. Now I can quit using an audio splitter which was buggy!
Mark

Edit: I just installed the DV update, and it works great. My ATV 4K, Oppo [edit-spoke too soon, see my later post on the oppo] and Sony Blu-ray players now pass DV to the Sony A1E correctly.
Thanks to the McIntosh fellows for getting this out.
Mark
JFR0317 and Maddog56 like this.

System
Spoiler!

Last edited by markmanner; 06-07-2018 at 05:25 AM.
markmanner is offline  
post #153 of 211 Old 06-07-2018, 04:34 AM
Senior Member
 
BillJulyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
I just received the update notification on my MX122 saying that the available update adds Dolby Vision and HLG capability. My unit is now updating. I'm very pleased this has finally showed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Mine is updating now. If it works well, this solves my ATV 4K 'how do I get DD+ and PCM from my ATV to my MX122 since it doesn't pass DV' problem. Now I can quit using an audio splitter which was buggy!
Mark

Edit: I just installed the DV update, and it works great. My ATV 4K, Oppo and Sony Blu-ray players now pass DV to the Sony A1E correctly.
Thanks to the McIntosh fellows for getting this out.
Mark

Thanks, guys. Mine's updating now.

Home theater: Sony XBR75Z9D, McIntosh MX122 & MC8207, B&W 804D3, HTM1D3, 805D2, SVS SB-13, Oppo UDP-203, Atmos 7.1.4;
Living room: Sony XBR65A1E, Marantz AV8805, MC8207, B&W 802D2, 804D2, HTM2D2, 805D2, SVS SB-13, Oppo UDP-203;
Bedroom: Sony XBR65X950B, Marantz AV8802a, MC8207, B&W 805D2, HTM2D3, Oppo UDP-203
BillJulyan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 211 Old 06-07-2018, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJulyan View Post
Thanks, guys. Mine's updating now.
In the FWIW category, after some testing, the ATV 4K works great with the MX122. All formats pass through perfectly, no handshake issues, looks great, triggers DV on the Sony A1E TV. Oddly, when I try to pass the Oppo 203 through the MX122, I can't get DV to be triggered on the Sony. I don't really care, since the ATV 4K was the one I needed to get run into the AVP (Since it has only one HDMI out, unlike the Oppo, which has a separate audio out which I can send to the MX122). It may be that the Oppo Sony DV implementation which has just been released is a bit different from the ATV 4K Sony DV implementation. On the Oppo threads, there is some talk of the information being displayed by the Oppo not showing DV, even when DV is actually being transmitted. However, in my setup, unlike others being reported, my TV is not having DV triggered. This stuff is amazingly uncoordinated (not McIntosh's fault in any way). I am going to declare victory given what I needed. My guess is that Oppo will do another update to deal with what some are seeing regarding the tags on the information, and that may correct the issue I am seeing with the MX122.
If anyone reading this happens to have an Oppo and a Sony A1E, let me know what you experience.
Thanks
Mark

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #155 of 211 Old 06-07-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JFR0317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
In the FWIW category, after some testing, the ATV 4K works great with the MX122. All formats pass through perfectly, no handshake issues, looks great, triggers DV on the Sony A1E TV. Oddly, when I try to pass the Oppo 203 through the MX122, I can't get DV to be triggered on the Sony. I don't really care, since the ATV 4K was the one I needed to get run into the AVP (Since it has only one HDMI out, unlike the Oppo, which has a separate audio out which I can send to the MX122). It may be that the Oppo Sony DV implementation which has just been released is a bit different from the ATV 4K Sony DV implementation. On the Oppo threads, there is some talk of the information being displayed by the Oppo not showing DV, even when DV is actually being transmitted. However, in my setup, unlike others being reported, my TV is not having DV triggered. This stuff is amazingly uncoordinated (not McIntosh's fault in any way). I am going to declare victory given what I needed. My guess is that Oppo will do another update to deal with what some are seeing regarding the tags on the information, and that may correct the issue I am seeing with the MX122.
If anyone reading this happens to have an Oppo and a Sony A1E, let me know what you experience.
Thanks
Mark
I have an OPPO 203 currently connected via its HDMI 1 out to HDMI Input 2 on my Sony 75Z9D and via HDMI 2 out to my MX122 for audio. I will try running the OPPO HDMI 1 out through my MX122 and report back.

I notice in your signature you also have the Sony X700 UHD player. Have you tried that through the MX122 to see if Dolby Vision works with it?

John
JFR0317 is offline  
post #156 of 211 Old 06-07-2018, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
I have an OPPO 203 currently connected via its HDMI 1 out to HDMI Input 2 on my Sony 75Z9D and via HDMI 2 out to my MX122 for audio. I will try running the OPPO HDMI 1 out through my MX122 and report back.

I notice in your signature you also have the Sony X700 UHD player. Have you tried that through the MX122 to see if Dolby Vision works with it?
Hi, not yet on the X700. I plan on testing it tonight when I get back home. I will report on that.
Thanks
Mark

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #157 of 211 Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JFR0317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi, not yet on the X700. I plan on testing it tonight when I get back home. I will report on that.
Thanks
Mark
Sounds good. I just tried the OPPO 203 through the MX122. The Picture Adjustment menu on the 75Z9D showed HDR at the top and Dolby Vision under it, but the Dolby Vision logo that is supposed to show up in the upper right hand corner of the screen when a Dolby Vision signal is received did not show up. Also, the output data that the OPPO displays after a long press of the Info button showed SDR and BT2020. Strange.

Edit: I decided to try this again (sending the OPPO 203 HDMI 1 out to the MX122), and this time, the Dolby Vision logo did show up as it should be expected. The Picture Adjustment menu on the Z9D shows HDR at the top and Dolby Vision just under it.

The info screen for the OPPO that comes up after a long press of the Info button still shows SDR. This apparently is a bug that is currently being discussed in the OPPO 203 thread.

John

Last edited by JFR0317; 06-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.
JFR0317 is offline  
post #158 of 211 Old 06-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
Sounds good. I just tried the OPPO 203 through the MX122. The Picture Adjustment menu on the 75Z9D showed HDR at the top and Dolby Vision under it, but the Dolby Vision logo that is supposed to show up in the upper right hand corner of the screen when a Dolby Vision signal is received did not show up. Also, the output data that the OPPO displays after a long press of the Info button showed SDR and BT2020. Strange.

Edit: I decided to try this again (sending the OPPO 203 HDMI 1 out to the MX122), and this time, the Dolby Vision logo did show up as it should be expected. The Picture Adjustment menu on the Z9D shows HDR at the top and Dolby Vision just under it.

The info screen for the OPPO that comes up after a long press of the Info button still shows SDR. This apparently is a bug that is currently being discussed in the OPPO 203 thread.
I tried sending the Sony UBP X700 DV output through the MX122, and it works just fine. DV shows up on blu-rays and apps. So, it seems like the problem is related to the Oppo 203 HDMI when sent through the MX122 to a Sony A1E. Not only does the info screen on the Oppo say output is SDR, the Sony A1E doesn't show DV being triggered on the TV end (and it doesn't look like DV or HDR either). Your Z9D may be different from my A1E, although that seems odd too.
Mark

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #159 of 211 Old 06-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
I tried sending the Sony UBP X700 DV output through the MX122, and it works just fine. DV shows up on blu-rays and apps. So, it seems like the problem is related to the Oppo 203 HDMI when sent through the MX122 to a Sony A1E. Not only does the info screen on the Oppo say output is SDR, the Sony A1E doesn't show DV being triggered on the TV end (and it doesn't look like DV or HDR either). Your Z9D may be different from my A1E, although that seems odd too.
Mark
Hi, if anyone has an Oppo 203 and a Sony A1E, can you check DV passthrough with the MX122? As noted above, it seems to work with a Sony Z9D, but I would like an exact match if possible. Oppo thinks it should work, so I may have something set incorrectly ( although I am getting it to work with other DV inputs).
Thanks
Mark

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #160 of 211 Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JFR0317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi, if anyone has an Oppo 203 and a Sony A1E, can you check DV passthrough with the MX122? As noted above, it seems to work with a Sony Z9D, but I would like an exact match if possible. Oppo thinks it should work, so I may have something set incorrectly ( although I am getting it to work with other DV inputs).
Thanks
Mark
As I posted above, the first time I tried connecting my OPPO 203 through my MX122, the Sony's DV icon did not come on, but after I disconnected the OPPO and reconnected it later, it worked properly. Like you, I am surprised the A1E and the Z9D don't react the same.

Have you tried doing a reset to factory defaults on your 203? Bob Pariseau in the OPPO 203 thread always recommends doing that after each firmware update. It may not help, but won't hurt to try if you haven't already done so. You might also try power cycling your MX122 (unplugging it and then re-plugging).

I realize these are just ordinary troubleshooting steps I am suggesting, but it won't hurt to eliminate a few variables if you haven't already.

John
JFR0317 is offline  
post #161 of 211 Old 06-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
As I posted above, the first time I tried connecting my OPPO 203 through my MX122, the Sony's DV icon did not come on, but after I disconnected the OPPO and reconnected it later, it worked properly. Like you, I am surprised the A1E and the Z9D don't react the same.

Have you tried doing a reset to factory defaults on your 203? Bob Pariseau in the OPPO 203 thread always recommends doing that after each firmware update. It may not help, but won't hurt to try if you haven't already done so. You might also try power cycling your MX122 (unplugging it and then re-plugging).

I realize these are just ordinary troubleshooting steps I am suggesting, but it won't hurt to eliminate a few variables if you haven't already.

Hi, I usually do a reset of the Oppo after a firmware update, but can't recall now if I did. I will do so when I get back home (in a week, I am travelling).
Thanks for the reminder, I should have made sure to do that.
Best,
Mark
JFR0317 likes this.

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #162 of 211 Old 06-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi, I usually do a reset of the Oppo after a firmware update, but can't recall now if I did. I will do so when I get back home (in a week, I am travelling).
Thanks for the reminder, I should have made sure to do that.
Best,
Mark
Hi, I returned home, and did a reset of the OPPO 203, then reconnected it to the MX122, and now DV passes through normally (Oppo set to TV led on the DV setting). So, I think that the reset after new DV firmware on the Oppo was what was needed. My error in not doing it initially, so my apologies for the back and forth on this. Having the MX122 pass DV is really great, the ATV and Oppo and Sony BD players are working great, and no need for muliple HDMI cables.
Best
Mark
JFR0317 likes this.

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #163 of 211 Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
BillJulyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 85
MX122 Atmos system

My MX122 is the control center of my Atmos home theater.
The amps are a McIntosh MC8207 and two Sony TAN 80 ES.
The speakers are all B&W, except for the SVS subwoofer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2427068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos2.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2427070  

Home theater: Sony XBR75Z9D, McIntosh MX122 & MC8207, B&W 804D3, HTM1D3, 805D2, SVS SB-13, Oppo UDP-203, Atmos 7.1.4;
Living room: Sony XBR65A1E, Marantz AV8805, MC8207, B&W 802D2, 804D2, HTM2D2, 805D2, SVS SB-13, Oppo UDP-203;
Bedroom: Sony XBR65X950B, Marantz AV8802a, MC8207, B&W 805D2, HTM2D3, Oppo UDP-203
BillJulyan is offline  
post #164 of 211 Old 08-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Moderator
Moderator
 
Barrybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 2,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry guys, this is old news to the owners!






Learn more about the update and how to install it.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...


Last edited by Barrybud; 08-01-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Barrybud is offline  
post #165 of 211 Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Brewster01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just got a 'firmware notification' - and installed it the other day. I can't seem to find any info on it though. Has anyone found out what this one covers?
Brewster01 is offline  
post #166 of 211 Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster01 View Post
I just got a 'firmware notification' - and installed it the other day. I can't seem to find any info on it though. Has anyone found out what this one covers?
What is the number of the update? Mine currently shows 6002-6121-4253-05. I am having trouble connecting to server so can't see if there is an update available for mine.

Mark

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #167 of 211 Old 10-21-2018, 06:46 AM
Newbie
 
GRfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Showing on mine:

Version 6002-6121-4253-05
-DTS Version 3.90.35.00
GRfire is offline  
post #168 of 211 Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Member
 
AlmostAnAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hungary
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Though I have found no information on the new update via the net, downloaded it.
Version 6461-9161-4210-05
-DTS Version 3.90.50.51
/I am from Europe, it might differs in other areas./


So far did not find out what this fw is about, if my memory serves me well, it was tagged as one to "improve stability".
AlmostAnAngel is offline  
post #169 of 211 Old 10-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Member
 
Brewster01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostAnAngel View Post
Though I have found no information on the new update via the net, downloaded it.
Version 6461-9161-4210-05
-DTS Version 3.90.50.51
/I am from Europe, it might differs in other areas./


So far did not find out what this fw is about, if my memory serves me well, it was tagged as one to "improve stability".
Mine shows: 6461-9161-4265-05 ('4265' instead of '4210' - probably USA version).
DTS shows: 3190.50.51
Brewster01 is offline  
post #170 of 211 Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Newbie
 
Bonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am evaluating the MX-122 and the Marantz 8500 for my system and would appreciate all comments to my questions.

I have Parasound Halo amps for all channels (5.2.4) and Vandersteen speakers (3a Sig fronts w/2Qw subs, VCC-1 center and 1c rears) and four Triad Bronze sealed speakers for Atmos channels. Also two Hsu ULS-15 Mk II subs for LFE.

My MX-122 questions:

1) How well does the phono section sound with high quality MM cartridge? (Thinking Clearaudio Charisma V2).

2) Is an outboard phono-preamp recommended over the internal MC-122?

3) How well does SACD sound using either HDMI or analog inputs? I am using an OPPO 205 that has an audio only HDMI and 7.1 analog multi channel outputs.

4) What is the overall audio assessment over the Marantz?

Many thanks for any comments.
Bonez is offline  
post #171 of 211 Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
markmanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
3) How well does SACD sound using either HDMI or analog inputs? I am using an OPPO 205 that has an audio only HDMI and 7.1 analog multi channel outputs.
I use an Oppo 205 (and before 105) with the MX122 and both HDMI and the analog 5.1 inputs. I think my SACDs sound great with it, both HDMI and analog. SACD sounds different to me as compared to CDs of the same content, but since I am using room correction when I listen to multi-channel SACDs (with HDMI or analog inputs), I am not sure I can tell any difference between the HDMI and analog. As I mentioned, they both sound very good. I hope this is of some help.
Mark

System
Spoiler!
markmanner is offline  
post #172 of 211 Old 10-23-2018, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,833
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
I am evaluating the MX-122 and the Marantz 8500 for my system and would appreciate all comments to my questions.

I have Parasound Halo amps for all channels (5.2.4) and Vandersteen speakers (3a Sig fronts w/2Qw subs, VCC-1 center and 1c rears) and four Triad Bronze sealed speakers for Atmos channels. Also two Hsu ULS-15 Mk II subs for LFE.
Bear in mind that the MX-122's architecture is based on the AV8802A, so it's missing some of the newer features available in the AV8805. (I dunno if they'll be producing an MX-123.) For example, the AV8805 supports the use of Audyssey's MultEQ smartphone app, which can be used to tailor the pre/pro's frequency response. Also the AV8805 supports the use of two more speaker channels than does the MX-122.

I can't comment from personal experience, so I won't answer all of your questions below.
Quote:
My MX-122 questions:

1) How well does the phono section sound with high quality MM cartridge? (Thinking Clearaudio Charisma V2).

2) Is an outboard phono-preamp recommended over the internal MC-122?
One consideration for both pre/pros is the distance between your turntable and the pre/pro. For longer distances, a preamp near the turntable would help to reduce noise pickup resulting from the phono cartridge's low signal output.
Quote:
3) How well does SACD sound using either HDMI or analog inputs? I am using an OPPO 205 that has an audio only HDMI and 7.1 analog multi channel outputs.

4) What is the overall audio assessment over the Marantz?
The MX-122 has design features which are intended to reduce its noise and distortion levels. Whether or not you actually can hear that difference depends on the quality of your hearing, your speakers, and the room's acoustics.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #173 of 211 Old 10-23-2018, 05:58 AM
Newbie
 
Bonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Bear in mind that the MX-122's architecture is based on the AV8802A, so it's missing some of the newer features available in the AV8805. (I dunno if they'll be producing an MX-123.) For example, the AV8805 supports the use of Audyssey's MultEQ smartphone app, which can be used to tailor the pre/pro's frequency response. Also the AV8805 supports the use of two more speaker channels than does the MX-122.

I can't comment from personal experience, so I won't answer all of your questions below.

One consideration for both pre/pros is the distance between your turntable and the pre/pro. For longer distances, a preamp near the turntable would help to reduce noise pickup resulting from the phono cartridge's low signal output.


The MX-122 has design features which are intended to reduce its noise and distortion levels. Whether or not you actually can hear that difference depends on the quality of your hearing, your speakers, and the room's acoustics.
More info.

I most likely will be moving up to Vandersteen 5A's for the fronts and move the 3A Sig's to the rear. Vandersteen does not recommend using any room correction system with their speakers that feature the eleven band "Room compensation controls". So I am not including what type of room correction software offered by any processor as a selection criteria.

I will use Balanced connections for all amplifiers and high quality RCA for the turntable (6-feet length). HDMI audio only out from the OPPO to the MX-122 and OPPO HDMI out direct to the television. I may run the satellite HDMI directly to the TV as well and then optical out to the MX-122. So processor switching is also not a selection criteria.

My one conundrum is either the Marantz with an outboard phono preamp or the Mac without. Therefore the cost criteria is a wash.

Audio quality for vinyl and CDs is main criteria. Followed by user interface for basic operation as my wifey must be able to use the system in my absence.

I do think the Mac front panel looks better and appears more logical than the Marantz.

Lastly, does MacIntosh allow local dealers to discount their products? If so, what is the typical mark down?

Thanks for the comments - I look forward to more inputs.

Last edited by Bonez; 10-23-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Bonez is offline  
post #174 of 211 Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,833
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
More info.

I most likely will be moving up to Vandersteen 5A's for the fronts and move the 3A Sig's to the rear. Vandersteen does not recommend using any room correction system with their speakers that feature the eleven band "Room compensation controls". So I am not including what type of room correction software offered by any processor as a selection criteria.

I will use Balanced connections for all amplifiers and high quality RCA for the turntable (6-feet length). HDMI audio only out from the OPPO to the MX-122 and OPPO HDMI out direct to the television.
The MX-122 does provide extensive 4K UHD support, so splitting the audio and video might not be necessary. Oppo does claim to provide better jitter management on the audio-only output of their BDP-205, though. See http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/Underst...O-UDP-205.html
(I don't see an equivalent for the 203.)
Quote:
I may run the satellite HDMI directly to the TV as well and then optical out to the MX-122. So processor switching is also not a selection criteria.

My one conundrum is either the Marantz with an outboard phono preamp or the Mac without. Therefore the cost criteria is a wash.
Welll, not quite. My understanding is that the MX-122 costs twice as much as the AV8805.
Unfortunately, the two companies' manuals describe their phono inputs in quite different terms, so it's hard to compare those descriptions.
Quote:
Audio quality for vinyl and CDs is main criteria. Followed by user interface for basic operation as my wifey must be able to use the system in my absence.
If you haven't already done so, you might consider investigating Logitech's Harmony series of remotes. They can reduce a complex sequence of commands to a single button-press. FWIW, in case you didn't notice, the McIntosh remote is identical to the Marantz remote except for the logo. I'm sure it emits different control codes, though.
Quote:
I do think the Mac front panel looks better and appears more logical than the Marantz.

Lastly, does MacIntosh allow local dealers to discount their products? If so, what is the typical mark down?
I'm sure they do, but I don't know how much it might be. I'm also sure that the markdown will differ from store to store and might also be affected by whatever other things you buy at the same time. For example, in my experience, B&M stores often have included things like interconnecting and speaker cables at essentially no cost when I've made large purchases.
Quote:
Thanks for the comments - I look forward to more inputs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #175 of 211 Old 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Mike D
 
Maddog56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The update was to correct an issue with Pandora not working with some units. This comes right from McIntosh Labs.

Last edited by Maddog56; 10-23-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Maddog56 is offline  
post #176 of 211 Old 11-12-2018, 02:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Kocl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi,
I just got a mx122 and a mc207 to use with multi channel only, the steero is provided by a ma9000 that works with the mx122 via passthrought.
I do have some issues with hdmi, in oppo 205 i have to select in color space from auto to auto (least bandwidth), withou this option the screen goes black sometimes, handshake problems?
It's connected to a sony oled a1.
One other thing is that i can't have overlay actions like volume up/down in image. it only shows the action o display. its set on configuration.
Can someone help.
thanks
Kocl is offline  
post #177 of 211 Old 11-12-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,833
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
Hi,
I just got a mx122 and a mc207 to use with multi channel only, the steero is provided by a ma9000 that works with the mx122 via passthrought.
I do have some issues with hdmi, in oppo 205 i have to select in color space from auto to auto (least bandwidth), withou this option the screen goes black sometimes, handshake problems?
Problems like that often can be reduced or eliminated by upgrading all of the HDMI cables to "Certified Premium" designs. They're accompanied by a special holographic tag, but do not cost any more than the usual High Speed cables.
Quote:
It's connected to a sony oled a1.
One other thing is that i can't have overlay actions like volume up/down in image. it only shows the action o display. its set on configuration.
Can someone help.
thanks
My understanding is that the video hardware used in the MX122 is the same as is used in the Marantz AV8802A. It cannot overlay the GUI onto 4K signals. If there's ever an MX123 (similar to the AV8805), it should be able to do that overlay.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #178 of 211 Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Kocl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Problems like that often can be reduced or eliminated by upgrading all of the HDMI cables to "Certified Premium" designs. They're accompanied by a special holographic tag, but do not cost any more than the usual High Speed cables.



My understanding is that the video hardware used in the MX122 is the same as is used in the Marantz AV8802A. It cannot overlay the GUI onto 4K signals. If there's ever an MX123 (similar to the AV8805), it should be able to do that overlay.
I use these qed cables
https://www.qed.co.uk/cables/hdmi-di...mium-hdmi.html

All of them work fine with my old pioneer SC-LXC50.
The change that i made on oppo in color space, didn't work.

I post some videos on youtube.



Kocl
Kocl is offline  
post #179 of 211 Old 11-12-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,833
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
I use these qed cables
https://www.qed.co.uk/cables/hdmi-di...mium-hdmi.html

All of them work fine with my old pioneer SC-LXC50.
Certainly the specs for those cables seem OK.

If you haven't already, you should verify that the cables are all fully seated at both ends. Press firmly, perhaps wiggling them just a little. It's parrticularly easy for stiff cables to pull out ever-so-slightly, and the resulting intermittent connection will cause symptoms similar to what you show.

I see that one of your displays is a projector. How long is its cable and what cable are you using for it?

The link that you provided indicated that the Premium cables from that manufacturer have a maximum length of 3 meters, which is not long enough for most projector installations. Stringing together several cables cannot work in that situation: the signal is adequate at the end of the first cable but will be attenuated too much by any additional cable. As a result, 4K repeaters are required between two such cables. For a single cable run to a projector, people often have to get an optical cable with UHD HDMI transceivers at both ends.

Quote:
The change that i made on oppo in color space, didn't work.
What color space change was that?

Configuring the Oppo to use YCbCr 4:2:2 should yield a more reliable signal than YcBCr 4:4:4 or RGB since it requires a lower bitrate. YCbCr 4:2:0 would provide an even lower bitrate but might not work with older display devices, since HDMI v1.3 and v1.4 did not support it.

Similarly, configuring the color depth to be a fixed 10 bits would be better than allowing color channels to use 12 bit per color channel.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #180 of 211 Old 11-13-2018, 03:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Kocl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Certainly the specs for those cables seem OK.

If you haven't already, you should verify that the cables are all fully seated at both ends. Press firmly, perhaps wiggling them just a little. It's parrticularly easy for stiff cables to pull out ever-so-slightly, and the resulting intermittent connection will cause symptoms similar to what you show.

I see that one of your displays is a projector. How long is its cable and what cable are you using for it?

The link that you provided indicated that the Premium cables from that manufacturer have a maximum length of 3 meters, which is not long enough for most projector installations. Stringing together several cables cannot work in that situation: the signal is adequate at the end of the first cable but will be attenuated too much by any additional cable. As a result, 4K repeaters are required between two such cables. For a single cable run to a projector, people often have to get an optical cable with UHD HDMI transceivers at both ends.

I use a 1,5m a 5m cable from BD to AVR and AVR to TV.
The projector is a 12m lenght 1.4 Qed HDMI because its an Epson Full HD only.
Where i can find those UHD HDMI transceivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
What color space change was that?

Configuring the Oppo to use YCbCr 4:2:2 should yield a more reliable signal than YcBCr 4:4:4 or RGB since it requires a lower bitrate. YCbCr 4:2:0 would provide an even lower bitrate but might not work with older display devices, since HDMI v1.3 and v1.4 did not support it.

Similarly, configuring the color depth to be a fixed 10 bits would be better than allowing color channels to use 12 bit per color channel.


I change from Auto to Auto/safe in Oppo.
Later i'll try your sugestions.

Kocl
Kocl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
MX122

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off