Dolby Digital Plus Atmos vs Dolby TrueHD Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheCoolDoc
  • 1 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Dolby Digital Plus Atmos vs Dolby TrueHD Atmos

I was curious as to what significant differences there are between the two Dolby Atmos formats.

Does the meta data (object placement) differ much? I know the bitrate differs a lot, obviously. 1.3 Mb/s compared to upwards of 10 Mb/s. Both streams have AC3 embedded in them, however.

Just curious about this, as I have had trouble playing Atmos TrueHD through a USB AVCHD disk on my PS3, but the same Dolby Digital Plus Atmos stream works. I think the PS3 might not allow the metadata in the TrueHD to be bitstreamed through a USB AVCHD disk (but does DD+ Atmos). (It works through my Blu-Ray disks perfectly fine.)
Pyronaut likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I believe it is an issue with the PS3 that cannot output TrueHD.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
I believe it is an issue with the PS3 that cannot output TrueHD.
From a USB AVCHD only? Because Blu-Ray works fine no matter what format I throw at it. I have a slim and a super slim and both give me the same results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6916 Post(s)
Liked: 5878
Metadata is the same, just a difference of how the audio is compressed: hi-rez lossy (DD+) vs lossless (TrueHD).
Pyronaut likes this.

Sanjay
post #5 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolDoc View Post
Just curious about this, as I have had trouble playing Atmos TrueHD through a USB AVCHD disk on my PS3, but the same Dolby Digital Plus Atmos stream works. I think the PS3 might not allow the metadata in the TrueHD to be bitstreamed through a USB AVCHD disk (but does DD+ Atmos). (It works through my Blu-Ray disks perfectly fine.)
I have the same problem with my (old) Blu-Ray player: I can only get Atmos via DD+ and have verified this via the Dolby Atmos Demo Disk (smart of them to include both TrueHD and DD+ tracks). I think it just can't keep up with the higher data rate. Good thing I'm upgrading to a UHD player, as I can't really listen to any of my Atmos Blu-Rays without drop-outs/stuttering.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.25.70]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #6 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Metadata is the same, just a difference of how the audio is compressed: hi-rez lossy (DD+) vs lossless (TrueHD).
Are we sure about that though? Sorry for seeming skeptical, but a source would help with your claim. I haven't been able to find anything that explains the differences; only news articles repeating the same thing.

The difference on paper is massive, however, I'm more interested in the sonic differences. BDInfo also shows the DD+ stream as only having 5.1 + AC3 embedded, whereas the TrueHD stream has 7.1 + AC3 embedded. Kind of confusing.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
I have the same problem with my (old) Blu-Ray player: I can only get Atmos via DD+ and have verified this via the Dolby Atmos Demo Disk (smart of them to include both TrueHD and DD+ tracks). I think it just can't keep up with the higher data rate. Good thing I'm upgrading to a UHD player, as I can't really listen to any of my Atmos Blu-Rays without drop-outs/stuttering.
Blu-Ray discs with Atmos are working fine for me (thankfully the PS3 is doing alright there). Maybe just USB AVCHD disks are the issue (which is understandable to an extent). I also think it could be a DRM issue since I've found out the Dolby Atmos Demo Disc is a BD-J (java) which means it is not possible to create a 1:1 copy. Might be preventing something, but I'm not experienced enough in the matter to be sure.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-13-2016, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Just bumping to see if someone has more info on this. Surely there must be a bigger difference than just bitrate between DD+ and TrueHD Atmos.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Why would there be any difference in the metadata? Only the core audio track would be different.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have a low end Sony Blue Ray that I got because I was not happy with how my Xbox one was handling audio. I can not run Dolby True HD 7.1 audio on the cheap Sony Blue Ray The audio gets all messed up. Does anyone know a lowered end or cheap blue ray player that will out put the from Blue Rays that are listed as having ATMOS audio? I will eventually upgrade to a ATMOS enabled AVR but not in the near future. In the mean time I want a player that will out put the audio to my AVR without messing it up on Dolby True HD 7.1 with ATMOS and DTSX enable sound tracks.

Denon AVR-X4500
Pair of Volt 6's for surrounds
1099, Volt 6, Volt 6 Atmos builds
MBM 12s Build
Pair of Mini-Marty's with Dayton UM18-22
post #11 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmithny06 View Post
I have a low end Sony Blue Ray that I got because I was not happy with how my Xbox one was handling audio. I can not run Dolby True HD 7.1 audio on the cheap Sony Blue Ray The audio gets all messed up. Does anyone know a lowered end or cheap blue ray player that will out put the from Blue Rays that are listed as having ATMOS audio? I will eventually upgrade to a ATMOS enabled AVR but not in the near future. In the mean time I want a player that will out put the audio to my AVR without messing it up on Dolby True HD 7.1 with ATMOS and DTSX enable sound tracks.
This is essentially the same problem I had...before I upgraded my Blu-Ray to UHD. Some older Blu-Ray players (mine had HDMI 1.3) just don't have the processing power to "spit out" the Atmos metadata; in other words, they play TrueHD just fine, but that's it. If you're having trouble with TrueHD, then Atmos is impossible. The fact that DD+ carries the Atmos metadata doesn't help much, because:
  1. They don't bother putting DD+ on a disc if it has TrueHD
  2. Most TV's can't output DD+ via optical/ARC, so you would still need a (new) player with apps that can pass the DD+ stream.

post #12 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 AM

Which player did you end up with?
post #13 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmithny06 View Post
Which player did you end up with?
Everything's in my sig.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
FWIW, my Sony BDP-S6500 has no problems bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #15 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Everything's in my sig.
Thanks for the input it helps with finding something that works since when I took a shot in the dark it didn't work out so well before.

Denon AVR-X4500
Pair of Volt 6's for surrounds
1099, Volt 6, Volt 6 Atmos builds
MBM 12s Build
Pair of Mini-Marty's with Dayton UM18-22
post #16 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I was curious as to what significant differences there are between the two Dolby Atmos formats.

Does the meta data (object placement) differ much? I know the bitrate differs a lot, obviously. 1.3 Mb/s compared to upwards of 10 Mb/s. Both streams have AC3 embedded in them, however.

If it makes you feel any better. Today I started watching Game of Thrones in Atmos. I got halfway through before I saw it was only in DD. You have to switch it to the 2nd audio track for Atmos and I couldn't tell until I walked by the equipment room any saw the the pre/pro.

I'm sure I could tell if A/B them but if would be very close.

Probably a better Atmos movie would have more action in the high channels.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
If it makes you feel any better. Today I started watching Game of Thrones in Atmos. I got halfway through before I saw it was only in DD. You have to switch it to the 2nd audio track for Atmos and I couldn't tell until I walked by the equipment room any saw the the pre/pro.

I'm sure I could tell if A/B them but if would be very close.

Probably a better Atmos movie would have more action in the high channels.
It was regular DD 5.1? And you couldn't tell the difference after switching to Atmos? That worries me because that's a huge difference - standard Dolby Digital 5.1 to an Atmos TrueHD stream should sound drastically different.

Unless you meant a DD+ Atmos stream, but the Game of Thrones Steelbook doesn't list DD+ Atmos, only TrueHD Atmos and DD 5.1 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Game-o...lu-ray/136824/

Maybe it's a bad mixing? The Game of Thrones dolby atmos demo disk demo sounded pretty great (battle of blackwater).
post #18 of 20 Old 02-15-2016, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
It was regular DD 5.1? And you couldn't tell the difference after switching to Atmos? That worries me because that's a huge difference - standard Dolby Digital 5.1 to an Atmos TrueHD stream should sound drastically different.

Unless you meant a DD+ Atmos stream, but the Game of Thrones Steelbook doesn't list DD+ Atmos, only TrueHD Atmos and DD 5.1 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Game-o...lu-ray/136824/

Maybe it's a bad mixing? The Game of Thrones dolby atmos demo disk demo sounded pretty great (battle of blackwater).
No it is a 7.1 THD with Atmos. Season 1&2 are available in Atmos. Anything in DD is up mixed to all channels.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
No it is a 7.1 THD with Atmos. Season 1&2 are available in Atmos. Anything in DD is up mixed to all channels.
Ah. So you had a hard time telling a difference between the Dolby Surround up-mixer (upmixing the DD track) and THD Atmos track? That's understandable. The up-mixer is really great in its own right.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-24-2017, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
once apple tv does dolby digital plus atmos, i am going to compare some movies that are available on bluray for an audio comparison.

if i cant definitively tell the difference between the true HD and the DD plus, then im going to stop getting discs and just use apple TV streaming

The user experience and interface are so much better with apple tv than swapping to blu ray.

Blazar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors