No sound unless using ARC HDMI port? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question No sound unless using ARC HDMI port?

I just upgraded my old Onkyo receiver to a Denon x2200w and the sound difference is incredible. However, I ran into a very strange issue that I can't figure out for the life of me where the cable box doesn't play audio when the TV is on, the receiver is connected to HDMI 1 (UHD color), and UHD color is enabled on the TV. To give some background here are the devices I'm trying to connect...
  • TV - Samsung UN60JS8000FXZA
  • Cable box
  • Xbox 360
  • HTPC
  • Chromecast

At first I tried to connect everything via HDMI and used the HDMI 3 (ARC) port on the TV. Everything worked great! However I wanted to take advantage of the 4:4:4 colors on the HTPC and that's only supported on HDMI 1. So I swapped ports and hooked up an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for Smarthub audio. I tested tested the HTPC and the audio/video worked great. But when I went back to the cable box (CBL/SAT port on the receiver) there was no audio, only video. I thought maybe ARC was messing something up so I disabled HDMI-CEC on the TV and receiver, still no audio even after power cycling everything. Then I noticed that if I turn the cable box and receiver on while leaving the TV off, I get audio. But as soon as I turn the TV on the audio cuts out until I turn the TV off and power cycle the receiver.

This seems really strange to me since there should be no audio going back and forth between the TV and receiver over HDMI at this point. So I kept playing around with some settings on the TV and discovered if I turn off UHD Color support on HDMI 1 the issues completely disappears. But with that I lose my 4:4:4 colors from my HTPC. I then tried running two HDMI cables from the receiver (which just mirrors them) to the TV and that solved the problem. So now I have an HDMI cable going to HDMI 1 (UHD Color) and HDMI 3 (ARC) and everything works.

My thinking is there must be a bug with either the TV or Receiver (leaning more towards Samsung) that's causing this. Does anyone know what would cause this behavior or what's happening at a deeper technical level? I don't really plan to ever use the two HDMI outs on the receiver for multiple displays so I'm fine with the setup but I'm curious what's going on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Samsung , un60js8000fxza , x2200w

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page