Beyond 7.1.4... Multi-AVR set-up for Immersive Audio - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 525Likes

post #2251 of 2318 Old 01-11-2020, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6111 Post(s)
Liked: 5672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
IMO most people who disagree with using a mixer or ProLogic to create channels likely never used a 9.1 DTSX setup. A significant portion of people have gone from 7.1 systems too atmos an thus likely don’t understand the loss those of us who had 9.1 systems feel. Front wides really filled in my front stage when I implemented them in my home theater. It’s one of the reasons why it took me so long to move too a atmos setup. Basically when I upgraded too 4K in my theater equipment I decided to also setup atmos as the new equipment had the ability, at the same time I have missed my front wides since making the transition. Of course if DTSX would get with the times and roll out DTSX Pro this would resolve some of the issue.
I'm guessing you mean 9.1 DTS Neo X. It's too bad that there don't seem to be any Neo X decoders which process 7.1 channel analog inputs.
Nalleh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2318 Old 01-12-2020, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 999
@Matt L If your Onkyo did wides and has hdmi input, you can still use it to make this work.
post #2253 of 2318 Old 01-12-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
@Matt L If your Onkyo did wides and has hdmi input, you can still use it to make this work.
Well, funny story -not really- the reason I"m not using the Onkyo is that it was part of that mess they had from a few years ago and failed. Onkyo did sort of come through, gave me a big discount on a new receiver, but I had already replaced it with the Marantz - that also does wides but only at the expense of either the rears or one of the top sets.

In doing some research I've come across a number of gaming headset processors that will decode Dolby Pro Surround as well as DD. Picked one up for $8 and will see if I can hack into it to get a center front feed. I've got lots of amps laying around so no issue there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 2318 Old 01-12-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Well, funny story -not really- the reason I"m not using the Onkyo is that it was part of that mess they had from a few years ago and failed. Onkyo did sort of come through, gave me a big discount on a new receiver, but I had already replaced it with the Marantz - that also does wides but only at the expense of either the rears or one of the top sets.

In doing some research I've come across a number of gaming headset processors that will decode Dolby Pro Surround as well as DD. Picked one up for $8 and will see if I can hack into it to get a center front feed. I've got lots of amps laying around so no issue there.
Since you already have a Marantz that can do 9.x.2 I would take advantage. It's easy to find another 5.x.4 AVR for the overheads for cheap.
Have you seen Mashie's diagram?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
This is how the 9.1.6 setup will be done:

To make the above work there are a few things to configure.

Speaker setup

SR7010
  • Use amp assign and speaker setup to configure 9.1.2 where the heigh speakers will use the pre-outs.
  • Set the height speaker to the Top Middle position.
  • Set the crossover for the heigh speakers to the same as the SR6010.

SR6010
  • Use amp assign and speaker setup to configure 5.1.4 where either of the heights will use pre-outs.
  • Set the height speakers to Top Front and Top Rear.

Sources

• SR7010 configure the sources as per normal and disable all that aren't used: HDMI1 Nvidia Shield and HDMI2 BD/UHD player. Set all sources to enable the +12V trigger.
  • SR6010 configure only one source, HDMI1 and disable all other sources. Set this source to enable the +12V trigger.

Zone 2 mirroring on SR7010

By default Zone 2 on the SR7010 will have a life of it's own and not tracking what the Main Zone is set to. To fix this we need to use the Marantz App.
  • Connect to the device
  • Click on Main Zone at the top.
  • On the Zone Select scren click on "View Zone 2"
  • In the drop down list for the various sources click the one that simply is named "SOURCE".
  • Exit out and you won't have to touch this ever again unless you fiddle with Zone 2 on the remote.

System Calibration

First is to configure the PLII AVR's:
  • Connect the speakers to each PLII AVR, connect L to TF speaker, C to TM speaker and R to TR speaker.
  • Set the surround mode to ProLogic II Movie.
  • Measure the distance from MLP to all three height speakers.
  • Set the distance to C to 0.
  • Set the distance to L to L minus C.
  • Set the distance to R to R minus C.
  • Connect both L and R in on the PLII AVR to height 1 on the SR6010 using Y-splitters.
  • Play a test tone on the SR6010 and measure the output using a SPL meter in MLP. Adjust the both AVR volumes until 80dB is seen on the SPL meter.
  • Remove the Y splitter.
  • Connect only L to height 1. Play the test tone again, adjust the L speaker level on the PLII AVR unlit the SPL meter is showing 80dB.
  • Connect only R to height 1. Play the test tone again, adjust the L speaker level on the PLII AVR unlit the SPL meter is showing 80dB.
  • Repeat the steps above with the second PLII AVR.

The speaker settings for the PLII AVR's are done.

Next is to configure the SR7010:
  • Connect the 9 base layer speakers and subwoofer to the SR7010.
  • Use the Y-splitters and connect both the PLII AVRs to the height 1 outputs. This should make it a basic 9.1.2 with TM speakers.
  • Run a few test tones and adjust the main volume on the PLII AVRs until they are similar to the rest of the speakers.
  • Run Audyssey calibration on the SR7010. Write down the speaker levels, distances and crossover frequencies detected for the TM, L/C/R and Surround speakers.
  • Connect the SR6010 to the SR7010 using HDMI.
  • Move the R speaker to the SR6010 and connect the PLII AVRs to height 1 and height 2 without Y splitters.
  • Set all the speaker settings on the SR6010 as per the notes from the SR7010.
  • Connect a PC running REW to the SR7010. Now we are going to measure any latency difference between the two units so we will compare L and R impulses using C as reference following this guide.
  • With the timing difference known between the two SR's we can adjust the delays accordingly on the SR6010.
  • Last step is to use the 9.1.6 test tones from the Dolby website and once again use a SPL meter in MLP to confirm all levels are the same, if not trim the speaker levels as required.

With everything configured connect the +12v trigger inputs on PLII AVR's to the SR's and set them to auto.

Single Remote (This is best to do as the very last step after all the speaker calibration has been completed.)

In addition to the settings above, to make source select and volumes fully synchronized we need to have a single IR receiver accept commands from the remote. To do this we need to connect Control Out from the SR7010 to Control In on the SR6010 and disable the IR receiver on the SR6010:

With the unit in standby, on the front panel press and hold M-DAX and DIMMER while clicking Power On.
Use TUNER PRESET CH + or TUNER PRESET CH - to select “RC LOCK On".
Press STATUS to enter the setting.

To undo this just repeat but select "RC LOCK Off".
@Mashie Saldana:confused:;Don't you get 9.x.6 with Dts:X as well with this setup? The diagram shows 7.1.6 Dts:X.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 01-12-2020 at 12:04 PM.
post #2255 of 2318 Old 01-12-2020, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Thanks, I saw that early on. At this point I"m trying not to dump $$$ into my system, over the past year or so spend $$$$'s, so I"m trying to keep it cheap. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap 5.x.4 AVR as I think that will solve my issue if the adapter I bought can't be hacked to do what I need. The second AVR is the optimal way to go though.
post #2256 of 2318 Old 01-13-2020, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@Mashie Saldana; Don't you get 9.x.6 with Dts:X as well with this setup? The diagram shows 7.1.6 Dts:X.
When I created that diagram I didn't know that Neural:X could upmix DTS:X from 7.1.4 to 9.1.2. However that functonality was "fixed" by D&M in the past year so that is no longer working. Neural:X is working fine using all speakers for non-immersive content though. So in the end 7.1.6 that was entered in error for DTS:X became true.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #2257 of 2318 Old 01-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
When I created that diagram I didn't know that Neural:X could upmix DTS:X from 7.1.4 to 9.1.2. However that functonality was "fixed" by D&M in the past year so that is no longer working. Neural:X is working fine using all speakers for non-immersive content though. So in the end 7.1.6 that was entered in error for DTS:X became true.
And due to this “fix” I am able to currently run 7.1.4 off my Denon x8500h but need to use alternate methods to implement 9.1.4 (Front wides). A: because my AVR only processes 13 channels B: because Neural X won’t recognize 9.1.4. (Only 9.1.2 or 7.1.4) I purchased a mixer and intend to try and set it up next weekend to add front wides back to my system. This should allow me to have 9.1.4 Neural X and 9.1.6 Atmos. The AVR running 7.1.6 and the mixer and amp running 2.x

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #2258 of 2318 Old 01-13-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
And due to this “fix” I am able to currently run 7.1.4 off my Denon x8500h but need to use alternate methods to implement 9.1.4 (Front wides). A: because my AVR only processes 13 channels.
It will soon with update to Dts:X Pro.
post #2259 of 2318 Old 01-13-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
It will soon with update to Dts:X Pro.
Soon is relative....2020...2021...2022...not holding my breath.....it’s been this long....atmos will dominate by the time they get around to it...
MagnumX likes this.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #2260 of 2318 Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Soon is relative....2020...2021...2022...not holding my breath.....it’s been this long....atmos will dominate by the time they get around to it...
Atmos has already dominated (relatively). I'm confident D+M will receive Pro in 2020.
post #2261 of 2318 Old 01-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Atmos has already dominated (relatively). I'm confident D+M will receive Pro in 2020.
Question for you Marc:

I followed up on a post from Batpig on the 8500 thread the idea for which I think came from here and was the following:

This method would require an external stereo amp (I bought a Rolls MX51s) for the two speakers, but it would work like this:
- Feed the pre-outs for the Top Middle (Height3 L/R) into one stereo input on the mixer
- Split the pre-out for VOG (Height4 L) into another stereo input on the mixer (creating a dual-mono signal)
- Feed the RCA stereo output from the mixer into the external amp

Now the same two speakers will function both as Top Middle (for Atmos and, potentially, DTS:X Pro) and as dual-mono VOG (for Auro3D). Because Top Middle and VOG are mutually exclusive, and will never be used at the same time, there's no danger of "overloading" the speaker by sending it a double signal. And this even allows you to use Audyssey since it will ping TM and VOG separately and set levels, distance, EQ etc.

So I have done what Batpig suggested and my two middle speakers (overhead) are configured as top middle(TM) and top surround(TS) (which I assume is VOG). Audyssey tests both TM and TS out of the same two middle speakers.

So my question is one of double checking my results. When I play an Auro 3d source, will the VOG activate?

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #2262 of 2318 Old 01-28-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post

So my question is one of double checking my results. When I play an Auro 3d source, will the VOG activate?
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work properly. Using the Speaker setup Test tones in the AVR should be good enough to verify operation.

An Auro demo disc with 11.1/13.1 callouts is another way to verify. I believe Denon will send you one upon request.
Alanlee likes this.
post #2263 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 6097
Yeah no reason why it wouldn't work. The AVR has no idea what's happening downstream, it sends out a signal and the speakers make noise. It just happens in this case that two different outputs are being "merged" downstream by the mixer to feed a single pair of speakers.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2264 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
And due to this “fix” I am able to currently run 7.1.4 off my Denon x8500h but need to use alternate methods to implement 9.1.4 (Front wides). A: because my AVR only processes 13 channels B: because Neural X won’t recognize 9.1.4. (Only 9.1.2 or 7.1.4) I purchased a mixer and intend to try and set it up next weekend to add front wides back to my system. This should allow me to have 9.1.4 Neural X and 9.1.6 Atmos. The AVR running 7.1.6 and the mixer and amp running 2.x
Have you been able to complete this implementation? Very curious since I'm looking into a similar layout and method for wides. Thanks!
post #2265 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
Have you been able to complete this implementation? Very curious since I'm looking into a similar layout and method for wides. Thanks!
Yes I hooked a mixer up, the one that was mentioned, and am running my front wides again. 😁 Thanks to the help of some on this thread. Now whether the mixer is exactly mixing the front and side surrounds appropriately due to my lack of expertise is another thing. I think they sound good and happy too be using them again for the simple cost of the $60 mixer and a couple extra cables. Find attached a simplified diagram of the hookup someone provided me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42BD11CF-320A-47EE-B3D2-A999FC15E00C.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2677638   Click image for larger version

Name:	5AB0C505-E516-41A3-A320-62D93915ADE3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2677640  
notfastenough likes this.

post #2266 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 01:30 PM

@MagnumX Can you clarify this for me. “The controls on the front determine how much of each channel goes to the output (i.e. set them equal for mid-way between or you can adjust them if your front wides are closer to the front than the sides, etc.) “

Does this refer to the proximity of the wides to the front mains and side surrounds? So if the wides are even distance between front main and side surrounds the dials on the mixer would be the same for both input 1 and 2. If the wides are closer to the side surrounds the dial on the input for side surrounds should be lower than that of the front main input dial? And so forth...

post #2267 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
@MagnumX Can you clarify this for me. “The controls on the front determine how much of each channel goes to the output (i.e. set them equal for mid-way between or you can adjust them if your front wides are closer to the front than the sides, etc.) “

Does this refer to the proximity of the wides to the front mains and side surrounds? So if the wides are even distance between front main and side surrounds the dials on the mixer would be the same for both input 1 and 2. If the wides are closer to the side surrounds the dial on the input for side surrounds should be lower than that of the front main input dial? And so forth...
Correct, although I like to verify with a sound meter. The Dolby 9.1.6 Channel Test with Pink Noise is very helpful (the one that does NOT use "snap to") as well as you can literally then hear whether the front wides sound "right" in the test.
Phillihp23 likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #2268 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm sure you already discovered this thread, but in case not, check out post #1 :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...mos-dts-x.html
post #2269 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surroundsound99 View Post
I'm sure you already discovered this thread, but in case not, check out post #1 :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...mos-dts-x.html
I’ll sit back and watch that madness unfold That threads from 2016....what ever happened to the upgrade...

Last edited by Phillihp23; 01-29-2020 at 07:00 PM.
post #2270 of 2318 Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work properly. Using the Speaker setup Test tones in the AVR should be good enough to verify operation.

thanks Marc

An Auro demo disc with 11.1/13.1 callouts is another way to verify. I believe Denon will send you one upon request.
Yes after digging through piles of stuff, I found the Auro 3d demo disc JD sent me. It's all good. Great sound. Would it be cheating to say I now have a 7.4.8 system?

And thanks to you Batpig

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #2271 of 2318 Old 01-30-2020, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 99
For the benefit of European fellow forum lurkers, I think I found a substitute for the Rolls mixer (not yet decided on it, I will test with an old mixer I own in the garbage box as first):
Tonysa Mixer Karaoke Mini, Amplificatore Mixer Audio, Noise Cancelling 3RCA Input e 1RCA Output Stereo Sound Mini Dj Mixer per Home Theater (Spina Europea) https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07R1YLWSV/..._uJTmEbT8A0M83
Looks the same design, but I cannot tell if the inside components/circuit design is at the same level of the Rolls. Rolls 51 is also available from a German distributor here in Europe, selling on Amazon, also, but at more than double the price than the above.
Regards
Alessandro
Edit:
At a lower (maybe! cannot evaluate a comparison) price/quality point there is also this:
ammoon Mixer Audio AM-228 Ultra-compatta Rumore Basso 8 Canali Metallo Mono Stereo con Cavo Adattatore di Alimentazione https://www.amazon.it/dp/B071WBR8RX/..._1WTmEbNAPCJV4
Naturally, a Guinea Pig report on these is highly appreciated!
Again, regards!

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50, Behringer NU3000dsp. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6, 4xJblCS1214 in 2 double boxes, V.B.S.S. with Dayton PA460-8. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Nvidia Shield ATV 2015, FireTv 4K, 2 Onkyio Dolby Surround ES600 pro, 2 Anleon MX200 Minimixer, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.

Last edited by vn800art; 01-30-2020 at 05:42 AM.
post #2272 of 2318 Old 01-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=vn800art;59173198]For the benefit of European fellow forum lurkers, I think I found a substitute for the Rolls mixer (not yet decided on it, I will test with an old mixer I own in the garbage box as first):
Tonysa Mixer Karaoke Mini, Amplificatore Mixer Audio, Noise Cancelling 3RCA Input e 1RCA Output Stereo Sound Mini Dj Mixer per Home Theater (Spina Europea) https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07R1YLWSV/..._uJTmEbT8A0M83
Looks the same design, but I cannot tell if the inside components/circuit design is at the same level of the Rolls. Rolls 51 is also available from a German distributor here in Europe, selling on Amazon, also, but at more than double the price than the above.
Regards
Alessandro
Edit:
At a lower (maybe! cannot evaluate a comparison) price/quality point there is also this:
ammoon Mixer Audio AM-228 Ultra-compatta Rumore Basso 8 Canali Metallo Mono Stereo con Cavo Adattatore di Alimentazione https://www.amazon.it/dp/B071WBR8RX/..._1WTmEbNAPCJV4
Again, regards![/QUOTE

The Tonysa mixer looks very much like the Rolls. As you said, one needs to find a way to test it. I guess if you buy from Amazon, you could return if you do not like it.

The ammoon mixer has 1/4 inch plugs, so if you plan to use it with an AVR with RCA plugs, you would need to find some patch cords.

post #2273 of 2318 Old 01-30-2020, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the follow up, but the cave is actually a mess, I have to glue 10 1x1meter sound absorbing panels on the front wall and many many other things on the todo list to finish the upgrade and be able to test this mixer affair. And Amazon will send the item in 2 days, not sure when I will be ready to test it! Don't want to end up out of the returning window!
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50, Behringer NU3000dsp. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6, 4xJblCS1214 in 2 double boxes, V.B.S.S. with Dayton PA460-8. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Nvidia Shield ATV 2015, FireTv 4K, 2 Onkyio Dolby Surround ES600 pro, 2 Anleon MX200 Minimixer, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #2274 of 2318 Old 01-30-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
Edit:
Again, regards!
Can someone translate for me? I believe in the Q&A. It is discussed whether the mixer is single-ended (TS) or balanced (TRS). I'd like to know.

The Rolls MX28 is single-ended (TS).
post #2275 of 2318 Old 01-30-2020, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
I’ll sit back and watch that madness unfold That threads from 2016....what ever happened to the upgrade...
Like most BTH things, it's in flux and being mulled over with alien/conspiracy/apocalypse considerations in full swing lol. The following post is about as comprehensive as his system description goes. He's got a couple of threads for his room though, so there's more current info somewhere on here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post56945540

And it looks like he's working toward theater bunker 2.0

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-possible.html

Phillihp23 likes this.
post #2276 of 2318 Old 01-30-2020, 10:37 AM

@Mark Alexander
Saw only one question asking if the Ammoon mixer could accept Xlr inputs, but ... the answer was ... I don't know. Everyway the most common reply is that the input/output connections accept the wiring of a mono 6.35mm. Jack of a Guitar. I believe they mean TS. On the mixer there are double switches to change 4x2 inputs from mic to line and a single one to change from 8mono to 4stereo inputs.
I believe the first model I referenced (and the original Rolls 51) are less tricky, since the fixed stereo configuration doesn't need to rebalance L&R channels!
Sorry if I haven't fully replied to your questions
Regards
Alessandro
Edit: I remember I have seen the same Ammoon mixer sold by Amazon.com, maybe You can find many more answers in there!

Last edited by vn800art; 01-30-2020 at 11:27 AM.
post #2277 of 2318 Old 01-30-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
@Mark Alexander
Saw only one question asking if the Ammoon mixer could accept Xlr inputs, but ... the answer was ... I don't know. Everyway the most common reply is that the input/output connections accept the wiring of a mono 6.35mm. Jack of a Guitar. I believe they mean TS. On the mixer there are double switches to change 4x2 inputs from mic to line and a single one to change from 8mono to 4stereo inputs.
I believe the first model I referenced (and the original Rolls 51) are less tricky, since the fixed stereo configuration doesn't need to rebalance L&R channels!
Sorry if I haven't fully replied to your questions
Regards
Alessandro
Edit: I remember I have seen the same Ammoon mixer sold by Amazon.com, maybe You can find many more answers in there!
Thanks, I found it: https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-AM-228...dp/B071FWQRGD/

"All the jacks are mono TS (tip & sleeve), not stereo TRS (tip, ring, & sleeve). I confirmed this not only by using the device but also by visually inspecting the circuit board."
post #2278 of 2318 Old 02-18-2020, 10:30 AM

Long story short now I have 2 Rolls 51 mixers (chinese version) coming maybe in a month (departing from HK in a while) AND 2 Onkyo 600 Dolby pro logic processors arrived 2 months ago.
Pls take note of the following: All base surrounds (4) AND FW (2) are Wharfedale Diamond 9.1.
All 6 ceiling Height speakers are Klipsch CP 6.
I also have a Jamo center much bigger than the previous Indiana Line and would like to implement some "dialog lift" with those two.
First question is: should I use the mixer for the FW OR the Onkyo processors?
Second one: will come in a while.
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Alessandro

Last edited by vn800art; 02-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.
post #2279 of 2318 Old 02-18-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Long story short now I have 2 Rolls 51 mixers (chinese version) coming maybe in a month (departing from HK in a while) AND 2 Onkyo 600 Dolby pro logic processors arrived 2 months ago.
Pls take note of the following: All base surrounds (4) AND FW (2) are Wharfedale Diamond 9.1.
All 6 ceiling Height speakers are Klipsch CP 6.
I also have a Jamo center much bigger than the previous Indiana Line and would like to implement some "dialog lift" with those two.
First question is: should I use the mixer for the FW OR the Onkyo processors?
Second one: will come in a while.
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Alessandro
I wouldn't use the Onkyo processors for dialog lift (that would be a waste and it would only offer 50% (center) whereas you really need to be able to compensate for the precedence effect a bit if the lower speakers are closer to you (they normally are) and the mixer lets you dial it in until it's where you want it. Front wides, OTOH would benefit from near-discrete in most systems (Onkyo). Unless I missed something?
vn800art likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #2280 of 2318 Old 02-19-2020, 01:05 AM

Well @MagnumX indeed, You Sir, covered in a few words even part of the second question (and doing so You revealed a fortune-teller competence, because the second question was not asked yet!).
So, ending the second question, with only one other center channel to be positioned up on the front wall, what are the channels I have to input in the mixer?
Thanks again for the helpful answer!
Regards
Alessandro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page