Beyond 7.1.4... Multi-AVR set-up for Immersive Audio - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 525Likes

post #2281 of 2318 Old 02-19-2020, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Beyond 7.1.4... Multi-AVR set-up for Immersive Audio

I have my Denon X8500H outputting hdmi zone 2 to my sr7012 but keeps switching to 2ch pcm. If I have 8500 zone 2 switched on audio plays fine but when I switch on the 7012 it switches back to 2ch pcm in both avr’s. What have I set wrong. Any ideas from anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by johnnyboy632; 02-19-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2318 Old 02-19-2020, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
Well @MagnumX indeed, You Sir, covered in a few words even part of the second question (and doing so You revealed a fortune-teller competence, because the second question was not asked yet!).
So, ending the second question, with only one other center channel to be positioned up on the front wall, what are the channels I have to input in the mixer?
Thanks again for the helpful answer!
Regards
Alessandro
Are you using a center height above the regular center channel? If so, you really would only be using the mixer as a gain control. You'd just send the center pre-out to it and the output to an amplifier and use the gain knob to set the relative volume compared to the bed channel. Turn it up or down until the phantom center image is where you want it on the screen.

If you're NOT using a center height, then you want to use a y-splitter on the center output and input it into Left/Right for one stereo input and the front height output to a second input. Send the output to an amp and to the front height speakers. You set the front height volume as normal for the front heights to match everything else and set your center input dial to raise/lower the volume of the phantom center image until it's where you want it on the screen. If you want to raise the L/R main stage to match (for panned dialog and so things pan evenly to the edges of the screen, also use a third input for L/R main and again adjust until it's even with the center (or where you want it). You'll have to make sure the end overall volume matches the rest of the speakers in the system (i.e. use the mixer to center the images and the regular AVR controls to even the overall volume. Once you get the phantom image where you want it in either setup, you shouldn't have to touch that again. Overall volume is controlled b the AVR.
vn800art likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #2283 of 2318 Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does it matter what speaker you use for a center above the regular center channel? Should it be identical to the regular center channel or can it just be tone matched? For example I have a CSiA6 regular center.....can I use a RTiA1 as a center height or should it also be a CSiA6?

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 2318 Old 02-19-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5342 Post(s)
Liked: 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
Does it matter what speaker you use for a center above the regular center channel? Should it be identical to the regular center channel or can it just be tone matched? For example I have a CSiA6 regular center.....can I use a RTiA1 as a center height or should it also be a CSiA6?
Dialogue is a pretty critical part of the soundtrack. I'd think you would need identical speakers or you'd notice a mismatch.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #2285 of 2318 Old 02-19-2020, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
As long as it uses the same drivers or maybe even just the tweeters, it'll probably be OK. My front towers have the same woofer and tweeters as my front height speakers and they match pretty seamlessly even though the towers have an extra woofer. If they're too far off, you might perceive them separately or perhaps as a combination of the two (not sure which).

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #2286 of 2318 Old 02-23-2020, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey everyone!

I'm very new to this and right of the bat want to apologize for not having the time or a strong will to read through all 2000+ messages in this thread, so I hope that someone can help me and guide me to the solution I need.

Right now I have a 7.1.4 system with Denon X4400H processing everything and Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 powering my main 5 channels as well as A-500 powering my surrounds. The four Atmos channels are powered by 4400. Now I was thinking about getting a second mid-tier AVR with pre-outs (something like X3500H) for increasing the number of my Atmos channels from 4 to 6 and maybe adding something like front and rear wides (again, very new to this, so not sure if I name them correctly). Maybe even a 2500H will suffice for height channels?

How many channels are there actually inside the Atmos tracks before upmixing kicks in? Is it worth it to go from 4 to 6 or maybe more height channels and is it going to be a "true" Atmos and not a upmixed sound? What equipment will I need except the AVR and speakers? An can someone please point me to the best to date schematic for connecting everything and making it all work?

Here's a schematic of my room if this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 12.36.14 PM.png
Views:	87
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	2688798  

My system: 7.2.4
Screen: LG OLED77C9 AVR: Denon X4400H, External amps: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3/A-500, Center: SVS Ultra Center, Fronts: SVS Ultra Bookshelfs, Surrounds: SVS Prime Bookshelfs, Surround backs: SVS Ultra Surrounds, Sub: Dual SVS PB-3000s, Heights: 4xCambridge Audio Minx 22, 4K Blu-Ray Player: Sony X700, Media player: Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Demetri Zuev; 02-23-2020 at 03:26 AM.
post #2287 of 2318 Old 02-23-2020, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We REALLY need a FAQ page. I'm not starting over every other day because people can't be bothered to read back a half dozen pages even....

@Demetri Zuev - Atmos (when used properly; studios like Disney don't use it properly and "locks" the channels to 7.1.4 only) has up to 34 discrete channel output from the renderer. You'd need a Trinnov Altitude 32 to achieve that, however. You can only achieve so much in "true discrete" by combining receivers. At most you can get perhaps 9.1.4 discrete. Because of Disney locked soundtracks, there's some question to the value of this (if the don't function for some soundtracks, it's like they're not even there). You can extract channels with Pro Logic that aren't affected by that lock (like DTS:X Pro does internally) and that takes up some rack space, but can work very well. However, in smaller rooms, it's probably not worth the bother as lesser numbers of speakers will phantom image quite well. Your room appears to be on the small side and there's no room behind you to speak of so I wouldn't recommend more channels, really.

Last edited by MagnumX; 02-23-2020 at 08:00 AM.
post #2288 of 2318 Old 03-01-2020, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I strongly second this need for a Faq page/indexing/link of links!

All the hardware is in my cave!
The minimixers have arrived from HK, they are packed in ANLEON brand boxes, look sturdy and well made from outside, need to add to them some anti slip pads underneath. Two or three days work to go!
Thanks to all
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50, Behringer NU3000dsp. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6, 4xJblCS1214 in 2 double boxes, V.B.S.S. with Dayton PA460-8. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Nvidia Shield ATV 2015, FireTv 4K, 2 Onkyio Dolby Surround ES600 pro, 2 Anleon MX200 Minimixer, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #2289 of 2318 Old 03-03-2020, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 383
@MagnumX I remember bringing up a FAQ a year or so ago. The reaction was that I should feel free to write one. A reasonable response IMHO, but I'm not in a position to do so. I'm not sure that there's enough juice to be worth the squeeze for anyone knowledgeable enough to take it on. I can't say that I blame them, but as a newbie with personal experience with this issue, I understand peoples' frustrations. It took days of actual concerted effort for me to get through this entire thread before moving forward with my own system. It's a pervasive online forum problem, but you get the pants with the suit

@Demetri Zuev FWIW, I have a 9.6.X Atmos system. I like the additional matrixed center heights. They definitely add to the fullness and realism of my experience, but I have a 30' deep room with a really tall cathedral ceiling and a partial wall overhead just behind the MLP. I always thought that phantom imaging did a fine job when panning front to back, but when sound is positioned directly overhead, adding matrixed height speakers helped noticibly.
vn800art likes this.

Last edited by Longeze; 03-03-2020 at 06:17 AM.
post #2290 of 2318 Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longeze View Post
@MagnumX I remember bringing up a FAQ a year or so ago. The reaction was that I should feel free to write one. A reasonable response IMHO, but I'm not in a position to do so. I'm not sure that there's enough juice to be worth the squeeze for anyone knowledgeable enough to take it on. I can't say that I blame them, but as a newbie with personal experience with this issue, I understand peoples' frustrations. It took days of actual concerted effort for me to get through this entire thread before moving forward with my own system. It's a pervasive online forum problem, but you get the pants with the suit
I might take a shot at a Beyond 7.1.4 and Auro-3D FAQ at some point in the not so distant future if I get enough free time. At least the basics could be dealt with. Trying to explain "Scatmos" or "Matrixed" extra speakers or the differences (or not so differences) of Auro-3D layouts and the effects of moving speakers to side walls, etc. instead of directly overhead just happens over and over. Some of these threads are so long that asking people to go read over 1000 pages (Atmos thread is almost to 2000 pages on my notebook for example) is absurd. Sure, people who who read that since the start read all/most of it, but they had almost 6 years to do it.

I know when I asked a few basic questions there after not visiting this site for several years (as I was happy with my 6.1 setup for many years), I got the "go read it" treatment, which frankly is 100x faster to do through other sites off Google for the basics than trying to read nearly 2000 pages of mostly extraneous information in the Atmos thread. I built a 11.1.6 combination Atmos/Auro-3D (and of course X that officially works with either just fine) system using matrixed and "scatmos" speakers in less than 6 months (9.1.6 in less than three) so it's not that hard to do even using "stranger" extras like Pro Logic decoding (and some didn't even like I used Pro Logic I when it's a fraction of the cost of PLII equipment...just "because" everyone prior had used PLII.... )

I know I've got better things to do with my time than waste it reading pages and pages of things unrelated to the information I'm looking for. If you want to build the layout for a larger room correct from the start rather than kick yourself later for not laying wiring or cutting holes when you had the chance at an earlier stage when you were crawling through the attic already anyway or whatever), you need to know early and fast, not find out later and think if only you'd known sooner (like adding top middle overhead can be done without a >11-channel AVR/AVP or that you can buy used PLI gear on eBay for a small fraction of the price and even the size of PLII receivers).

I'd just like to help give the basic information (and fully correct as many people leave a LOT of things out (e.g. like the Pro Logic I option for Scatmos or extending Auro-3D to nearly Atmos proportions using extra added speakers via matrixed or extraction methods and maybe offer some other options like speaker switches, which I also use to give me more options still regarding Auro-3D and Atmos). If others want to contribute or take over at some point, that'd be fine.

For example, I've seen evidence that we have people who think matrixed top middle won't work in a 20+ foot long room. Why wouldn't it? As long as the vertical speaker angles between pairs is less than about 120 degrees, phantom imaging should function (that applies to azimuth as well). Half that is better yet for strong consistent imaging, IMO. Matrixed moves the apparent location of the farthest pairs closer while extracted maintains the full distance. That's the main functional difference (i.e. front height would sound more like front top with a matrixed top middle while extracted would maintain the full length of the room in use. Some may even prefer that if they can't mount top front, but can do side height "top middle" or whatever as it also moves the azimuth to half the distance as well, making it seem like the side heights are on the ceiling, at least away from the side walls in terms of seating) and yet it works with Auro-3D. You can do duplicated rear height/tops as well without an extra processor (parallel driven). As you move further back in seating, it just moves the apparent phantom location of top middle and rear instead of them being locked in place. I tried that out (easy to do here with my speaker switchbox) and it sounded nearly as good as extracted top middle, IMO. It's a natural mode for Auro-3D in a multi-row setup as well (you can copy side surround to rears for that too just like the theaters do).
Foundation42 and vn800art like this.

post #2291 of 2318 Old 03-07-2020, 01:08 PM

Hey all just setting up my multi avr setup, I have 3. I have 3 rows of side surround speaker and getting some combing. How is best to combat that. I have eq’d each row of side speakers from each avr. I have a rotel distribution amp and can link signals, should I link the first row for the second and third rows to minimise it, tips needed please

post #2292 of 2318 Old 03-07-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy632 View Post
Hey all just setting up my multi avr setup, I have 3. I have 3 rows of side surround speaker and getting some combing. How is best to combat that. I have eq’d each row of side speakers from each avr. I have a rotel distribution amp and can link signals, should I link the first row for the second and third rows to minimise it, tips needed please

Get some MiniDSP 2x4, one for each side and you can set individual delays for each speakers in the arrays.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #2293 of 2318 Old 03-08-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 7896 Post(s)
Liked: 7088
Quote:
I have 3 rows of side surround speaker and getting some combing. How is best to combat that. I have eq’d each row of side speakers from each avr.
During initial set-up, you time align each speaker so that all of them sound the same distance away. That means the sound from your Centre speaker arrives at the middle of the first row at the same time as the sound from Side speakers for that row. That should be the case for every row. So...

Measure the distance from the first row to the second row. Add that delay to the Side speakers for the second row. Now the sound from Centre speaker will arrive at the middle of the second row at the same time as the sound form the Side speakers for that row.

Likewise, measure the distance from the first row to the thrird row. Add that delay to the Side speakers for the third row. Now the sound from Centre speaker will arrive at the middle of the third row at the same time as the sound from the Side speakers for that row.

The delays should be enough to minimize comb filtering you're hearing when the same content is coming from all 3 pairs of Side speakers.
johnnyboy632 likes this.

Sanjay
post #2294 of 2318 Old 03-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Well, I'm at my home, in Italy and restrictions apply to everyone here to avoid Coronavirus desease. I've run out of sound absorption panels, but the largest part is done (I started limiting myself to front and rear walls, but I thought I had enough panels left to end cover a concrete left side wall - right side wall is not completely closed and made of wardrobes, this wall is covered also but with heavy tents).
Long intro, sorry for this!
Had useful instructions here from @MagnumX that I believe I have followed thoroughly, regarding deriving FWs (done with the Dolby Prologic Onkyio decoders) and TMs (1 miniMixer). Now getting to the end of the job, I would like to try an unusual use of the Center Height, deriving it's output from the Center and the VOG channels together. The new ls is located high in the center of the front wall, right under the rolling pj screen, aimed at the Mlp. Does this make sense or it is a complete audio-multichannel nonsense?
Thanks for Your interest
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50, Behringer NU3000dsp. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6, 4xJblCS1214 in 2 double boxes, V.B.S.S. with Dayton PA460-8. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Nvidia Shield ATV 2015, FireTv 4K, 2 Onkyio Dolby Surround ES600 pro, 2 Anleon MX200 Minimixer, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #2295 of 2318 Old 03-16-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I'm at my home, in Italy and restrictions apply to everyone here to avoid Coronavirus desease. I've run out of sound absorption panels, but the largest part is done (I started limiting myself to front and rear walls, but I thought I had enough panels left to end cover a concrete left side wall - right side wall is not completely closed and made of wardrobes, this wall is covered also but with heavy tents).
Long intro, sorry for this!
Had useful instructions here from @MagnumX that I believe I have followed thoroughly, regarding deriving FWs (done with the Dolby Prologic Onkyio decoders) and TMs (1 miniMixer). Now getting to the end of the job, I would like to try an unusual use of the Center Height, deriving it's output from the Center and the VOG channels together. The new ls is located high in the center of the front wall, right under the rolling pj screen, aimed at the Mlp. Does this make sense or it is a complete audio-multichannel nonsense?
Thanks for Your interest
Regards
Alessandro
The VOG channel normally doesn't do anything outside Auro-3D (and DTS:X Pro) so combining it with center won't do much. If you're looking for a dialog lift effect, you'd just want to mix center above and below so it ends up sounding in-between. If you want true center height sounds for all material, you can do the same thing with Pro Logic extraction or even Matrixed (less effective anchor). You would derive it from Left Front Height and Right Front Height.

Good luck avoiding Corona or at least not getting bad symptoms. They're starting to shut everything down (restaurants, movie theaters ,etc.) where I'm at in the US (not my job; it's must have infrastructure based so the work must go on no matter what unless I'm dead, but at least that means the paychecks keep coming unlike some poor people living paycheck to paycheck. The sad thing is I could afford to take a year or two off, which is kind of ironic since I literally cannot due to the needs of the country. Some services are essential for the tech age (power, communications, medical, etc. or we are literally dead in the water). I'd be one the last they'd tell to stay home unless I'm actually sick.
vn800art likes this.

post #2296 of 2318 Old 03-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Hope we all get safe out of this trouble! Thanks again for your help and kind words. I'm retired, while my wife is still actively working, so quarantine will not completely work in my home!

post #2297 of 2318 Old 03-18-2020, 07:24 AM

Well! Ended all the cabling but no time atm to check thoroughly for full functionality. First view of the lower front stage
Edit 1) Checked all new/old channels and they ARE working! Had to go through the initial loudspeakers settings on the Pioneer to initialise the single SB speaker (had not ever used it before on this Avr), to be used as CH signal from Minimixer!
The whole system was switched off from late October, while I installed an AC heat pump for the garage! Big success for me, remembering all the alternative connections/options I had to recheck and do from scratch! Going to use some earphones in the Minimixers to have a first step levelling of their channels output. The two Onkyios are working properly but they lost the settings I had previously done (too much time without power connection!).
One extra problem remaining, no internet connection. Maybe a cable was damaged during AC works. Will come back soon.
Thanks again @MagnumX !
Regards
Alessandro

Last edited by vn800art; 03-20-2020 at 02:17 AM.
post #2298 of 2318 Old 03-18-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
The VOG channel normally doesn't do anything outside Auro-3D (and DTS:X Pro) so combining it with center won't do much. If you're looking for a dialog lift effect, you'd just want to mix center above and below so it ends up sounding in-between. If you want true center height sounds for all material, you can do the same thing with Pro Logic extraction or even Matrixed (less effective anchor). You would derive it from Left Front Height and Right Front Height.

Good luck avoiding Corona or at least not getting bad symptoms. They're starting to shut everything down (restaurants, movie theaters ,etc.) where I'm at in the US (not my job; it's must have infrastructure based so the work must go on no matter what unless I'm dead, but at least that means the paychecks keep coming unlike some poor people living paycheck to paycheck. The sad thing is I could afford to take a year or two off, which is kind of ironic since I literally cannot due to the needs of the country. Some services are essential for the tech age (power, communications, medical, etc. or we are literally dead in the water). I'd be one the last they'd tell to stay home unless I'm actually sick.
Just wanted to thank you for your service...
Be well
vn800art likes this.
post #2299 of 2318 Old 03-24-2020, 02:48 AM

So system is now 9.3.8 (7 base channels +FW, 4 heights + TM + VOG +CH), 2 subws under the Surround L&R, 1 VBSS placed horizontally at the farthest back of the room in the middle of the two SB loudspeakers. Run an Audyssey calibration (without the extra channels, so only as 7.3.4. +VOG) and everything is running fine after switching all extra channels On.
I nevertheless continue to have little hearing of the back stage (RH and SB), as I experienced before the upgrade.
All in all I would need a refresh or link to a post about the procedure to calibrate/integrate the extra added channels (FW, TM, CH).
Pls take note I have 2 Auro3D demo disks and 1 Atmos one also (as per DTS I have seen some demos in their home page, AFAIK) .
Have had time to have a second look at Red Tails, amazing! There I understand I have more heavy back to front movements in the heights channels, but ... how to be sure I have all what the system could do?
Thanks for your addictive and continued help in here!
This forum is real life audio science, really, not only a fantastic rabbit hole (and I follow other threads in AVS and have gifted myself a home made VBSS subwoofer only thanks to this forum) !
Regards
Alessandro
Edit: checked, only 1 Atmos demo disk!
Edit 2: must add that the input channels I used for the CH where base Center and FH ones only (I didn't add the base Fronts to the Minimixer).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200323_112032.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2701206Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200323_112001.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2701208
MagnumX and Mashie Saldana like this.

Last edited by vn800art; 03-24-2020 at 03:48 AM.
post #2300 of 2318 Old 03-24-2020, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All in all I would need a refresh or link to a post about the procedure to calibrate/integrate the extra added channels (FW, TM, CH).
There's a 11.1.6 Dolby Atmos channel test demo (without the "snap to" feature) out there (Dolby has it on their site, but it seems only Macs can get it for some odd reason, but I've seen it on other sites in the past). That should let you set levels for "front wides" using a sound meter (or even get it "close" with your ears for now if you don't have one). The Auro-3D demo discs (both of them) have calibration tones for CH and TM (and all other speakers that are supported by it).

Quote:
Edit 2: must add that the input channels I used for the CH where base Center and FH ones only (I didn't add the base Fronts to the Minimixer).
So, your "CH" is really meant to be a dialog lift effect or do you have Auro-3D "CH" going into the mixer as well? Your signature shows Marantz 7011 which does not have CH output for Auro-3D so I'm assuming it's not CH at all. For just dialog lift, you just play a center tone and adjust the levels until it's sitting vertically where you want to hear it. You can "create" an actual "CH" output (that will work with Atmos and DTS as well) by extracting a channel between front height left and front height right and then plug that output into the mixer with the center and have both come out of that speaker.
vn800art likes this.

post #2301 of 2318 Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 AM

Thanks for your replies! Well, for the first reply, ok I will have a look.
Now for the second reply: correct! I have a Sr7011. Sure I do NOT have a regular discrete CH output. But ... if I use the Minimixer inputs of the same channel (using only the 3 red RCA inputs, for instance) and give them FHR, FHL and Center doesn't it works as You suggested? In fact that's what I have done.
But ... I have followed the same thoughts for the TM matrix extraction, save that all the RED inputs are rights (FH and RH) and WHITE inputs are lefts (always FH and RH). Wasn't that right too?
Ending with the confirmation that I had to use a Y cable on each FH preout to have two signals inputs to feed the two Minimixers.
Thanks
Regards
Alessandro

Last edited by vn800art; 03-24-2020 at 08:36 AM.
post #2302 of 2318 Old 03-24-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your replies! Well, for the first reply, ok I will have a look.
Now for the second reply: correct! I have a Sr7011. Sure I do NOT have a regular discrete CH output. But ... if I use the Minimixer inputs of the same channel (using only the 3 red RCA inputs, for instance) and give them FHR, FHL and Center doesn't it works as You suggested? In fact that's what I have done.
But ... I have followed the same thoughts for the TM matrix extraction, save that all the RED inputs are rights (FH and RH) and WHITE inputs are lefts (always FH and RH). Wasn't that right too?
Ending with the confirmation that I had to use a Y cable on each FH preout to have two signals inputs to feed the two Minimixers.
Thanks
Regards
Alessandro
I miss-understood when I read it about the "inputs". I was thinking it meant center height was connected only to front heights without the mains added. Now, the mixer will work. The center output just won't be discrete for the Auro effect (i.e. it won't be dead center for any off-center seats, but as this theater appears to be made for one, it really shouldn't matter at all). I think you've got it set up correctly for matrixed output.
vn800art likes this.

post #2303 of 2318 Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM

Man, You are Da Man! Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for troubleshooting my faulty sentences.
Btw, between the single MLP seat and the VBSS in the back there is the space for a double seater, which may come in after the lockdown ends.
Now, for the sake and knowledge of all the readers, I am 67 yo, OM from great time, graduate in Economics, worked in financial services and now retired. Also had the time to get an unlimited Navigation License (used only on sailing boats). Nowadays my interests are concentrated in residential technology, from Solar Panels to CCTV/Automation/Domotica/Alarms.
My interest in HiFi dates from the early '80 (and hence from my father's interests). But everything was disconnected until December 2016. Went a long way from then.
Thanks to All
Regards
Alessandro

Edit: CAN'T THANK YOU MORE ! I still think I'm dreaming, while listening to Audiophile network stations (all 6 of them) and Tidal and sometimes viewing Altered Carbon (started season 2 now).
But ... music is now incredibly crisp, clear, defined and all of this makes me cry, really.
Must add that I fiddled much only with center lift, trying to add more mixing than only the true center, no way, mixer cannot add stereo to mono (and I only have one CH loudspeaker). But I stopped fiddling and decided to start again only listening.
Nirvana.
Regards
Alessandro
MagnumX likes this.

Last edited by vn800art; 03-31-2020 at 08:16 AM.
post #2304 of 2318 Old 04-03-2020, 12:50 AM

Well, sometimes instead of listening to the system I read here (photo taken from Marantz AV 8805 thread).
I know I am loosing something (but I still have several thousands € in my pocket), I may even have been lucky in my purchases of 25 yo equipment, but I have made it myself, proud of it. OTOH ... Flagship followers are still waiting, and waiting to spend more on top of it!
Sorry, couldn't resist, and I must also admit that all this couldn't have happened without a well equipped, high tier midrange Marantz AV receiver!
Regards
Alessandro
Edit: modified signature to reflect recent/dated added equipment

Last edited by vn800art; 04-03-2020 at 01:25 AM.
post #2305 of 2318 Old 04-03-2020, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know what you mean, I'm in no rush to upgrade my system either. It has been going strong for nearly 3 years now offering a full 9.1.6 as well as what turned out to be DTS:X Pro features with the Front Wides working with Neural:X by accident.

I will get a 16ch+ processor at some stage though mainly to get Dirac Live and the Bass Management Module.
vn800art likes this.

Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #2306 of 2318 Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 AM

Stumped on this and had to reinitialise Kodi as I had all old repos and I couldn't find a working GDrive add-on. Now all is working, will have to try Tidal and Netflix add-ons. But this French fellow looks to have done a lot of good work, during quarantine days:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Regards!
Alessandro

post #2307 of 2318 Old 04-13-2020, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am half way through the Dolby Atmos thread (over 25,000 posts!) when I decided to take a break...

I came here for a little "light reading"!

Many thanks to several contributors... it's been fun to watch the evolution, and I look forward to the continuation with each "milestone" celebrated and incorporated into the AVR's available to "the common man" {and there own little man cave!!! }

*sigh*, see ya back in the Atmos thread.

Last edited by AVTrauma; 04-13-2020 at 09:32 AM.
post #2308 of 2318 Old 04-14-2020, 04:25 PM

Just having a little issue with my multi avr setup using zone 2 hdmi output. Every time I try to playback 4k content it will resync to 1080p only. If I just play through the main avr which is 8500h it plays perfectly but once I engage zone 2 it all goes to crap. I am running premium certified cables which are length of 1.5m and under. Why won’t it play properly?

post #2309 of 2318 Old 04-14-2020, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just having a little issue with my multi avr setup using zone 2 hdmi output. Every time I try to playback 4k content it will resync to 1080p only. If I just play through the main avr which is 8500h it plays perfectly but once I engage zone 2 it all goes to crap. I am running premium certified cables which are length of 1.5m and under. Why won’t it play properly?

It's not a cable issue, it is HDCP having fun.

You either need to connect your second AVR to a 4k display or use a HDFury to trick the HDCP chain.

post #2310 of 2318 Old 04-15-2020, 01:15 AM

Beyond 7.1.4... Multi-AVR set-up for Immersive Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
It's not a cable issue, it is HDCP having fun.

You either need to connect your second AVR to a 4k display or use a HDFury to trick the HDCP chain.

So does the hdfury go between the avrs? Zone 2 out to second avr input yeah. I currently have a vertex between avr and projector. Dr hdmi 4k will work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page