NAD T762 Experience - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 450 Old 02-28-2003, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had an NAD T762 for a couple of weeks and have had nothing but good experiences with it. Matched with the NAD T562 DVD player, I find it sounds smooth without lacking detail, and it's "downmix" presentation of 5.1 audio on a two-speaker setup is excellent. The HTR-2 universal remote is also the best I've tried, and far more intuitive than many of the LCD models I had auditioned. I prefered this model over several others I tried (including Rotel and Yamaha at the same price point), and it's given me no reason not to recommend it highly.

The unit in its rack has ~6" of space on the sides and top, and I haven't heard the fan start up at all on my two-channel system. I'm wondering under what conditions others have had an issue with it, and if perhaps there may be a simple way to eliminate the problem for those individuals (apart from sticking the unit in a closet)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 450 Old 02-28-2003, 05:19 PM

thanks for sharing your experience with the T762, have been patiently waiting for this NAD since last year. When you first auditioned it, did you compare it with the T752? If you did, can you tell us if there were any noticeable differences in SQ between the two? thanks!
post #3 of 450 Old 02-28-2003, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

glad to hear your NAD is working out for you.
unfortunately the remote for my 752 has become very buggy- and no, its not the batteries.

am waiting to hear back from NAD on this.
i hope this isn't a portent of troubles down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 450 Old 03-01-2003, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Aerosol: I haven't actually gotten the chance to hear the 752, so I don't think I'd be qualified to make a comparison. I know it has one fewer channel, one fewer component in, and no HDCD processing compared to the 762.

Ckolchak: Can you describe exactly what's gone wrong with your remote?
post #5 of 450 Old 03-01-2003, 06:37 AM

fsckd: thanks! i guess im willing to live with the minor differences so i went ahead and got a T752. if ever i make the jump to 6.1 or 7.1, i can probably get a used stereo amp, i see lots o good stereo amps in the classifieds here in singapore.

btw, almost broke my back hauling it up to the flat, quite heavy, haha
post #6 of 450 Old 03-01-2003, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There were some T752's with a defect in the fan that caused it to run much louder than specs. NAD is offering repairs on those units. The "good" T752s and the T762s are supposed to run pretty quiet.

As to your fan not coming on, that unit is going to run a lot cooler into 2 channels than 5 or 6. Note that fans were rare on 2-channel receivers. It may be difficult to push it to the temps needed for the fan to kick on when only using 2-channels. The heat sinks may be sufficient to cool the unit in that mode.

Tom B.
post #7 of 450 Old 03-01-2003, 12:53 PM

I've just hooked my T762 yesterday and watched a few movies with it. I can't say if the fans were activated at all. If they were, neither I, nor my guests, heard them. I would assume that with 2 fans, they would run quietly enough that you can't hear them, and still keep the receiver cool. So as far as I'm concerned, the fans are a non-issue with the 762.

As for it's performance, I'll have to reserve my opinions until I've watch more movies and listened to more music.

Toshiba HD-A1
NAD T762
PSB Stratus Silvers
Sony VPL-HS10
Bell ExpressVu 6000 and 9200
post #8 of 450 Old 03-01-2003, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

false alarm as to the remote. seems it was the batteries after all.

i think i have one of the early units. my fans are pretty noticeable when they kick on, and lately it seems i can hear the unit running even without the infrequent fan noise.

not sre whether i want to send it back or not to get repaired.
i'm a little concerned about it getting shaken up in transit, as well as the pain in boxing it up and shipping it out.

the fan usually kicks in after an extend session of aggressive sound- series of explosions, shouting, etc.
unfortunately it seems to kick in often just as the soundtrack is going back to a quiet passage :rolleyes:

other than that though its an exceptional sounding reciever-
post #9 of 450 Old 03-01-2003, 10:49 PM

move it to another room or somewhere further away =)
post #10 of 450 Old 03-02-2003, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Aerosol: Yes, I was startled at how much the 762 weighed. Somehow I hadn't paid attention to it being almost 50 lbs, and I had planned on bringing it back to work via the subway!

Ckolchak: Moving it to another room (or putting it in a closet) is one option, but how well ventilated is it as its set up now? If you're determined not to have your 752 repaired, the effect could likely be mitigated with better airflow, though if I were you I'd take advantage of the warranty. Is the receiver incased in some way, or is there anything on top of it, that might cause it to heat up?
post #11 of 450 Old 03-02-2003, 12:54 PM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Can I assume this unit has no drop-outs or cut-offs for digital audio via toslink or coax digital cable from CD players?
post #12 of 450 Old 03-02-2003, 04:14 PM

ever since i got the unit 2 days ago, ive been using it for hours on end and been waiting for the fan to kick in. so far, ive yet to hear it turn on, im sure i didnt miss it cause from earlier posting, its quite loud.

anyway, so far, so good. its barely been burn in (is that the correct term?) but it already sounds great! easily trumps the marantz and denon receivers ive used in the past.

----

hmmm, the manual says it can easily drive even the most demanding speakers. maybe i should borrow some dynaudios to see if this is true...
post #13 of 450 Old 03-02-2003, 06:15 PM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Whats this puppy and the T752 going for in Canada?
post #14 of 450 Old 03-03-2003, 07:33 AM

The T752 is MSRP at $1500, the T762 at about $2000, canadian dollars. I managed to get the 762 for $1500CAN.

As for sound, I've had a chance to push it a bit more this past weekend, and I have to say I'm impressed. It's got lots of power and the sound is excellent. Still haven't heard the fans come on.

And it's very easy to setup and run. A friend of mine has the Yamaha 2300 and he finds it very hard to setup and run. The 762 in much easier.

Ghost

Toshiba HD-A1
NAD T762
PSB Stratus Silvers
Sony VPL-HS10
Bell ExpressVu 6000 and 9200
post #15 of 450 Old 03-03-2003, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Where can I get a t-752? We have no local NAD dealers in St. Louis. I'm looking for a good deal. I found the Pioneer Elite vsx45tx for in the low $800's. What does the t-752 street at?

Thanks in Advance!

[email protected]

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #16 of 450 Old 03-03-2003, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I got my T762 for [edited at dealer's request] from Audio Lab in Cambridge, MA. The MSRP is $1300, and I've seen it most places for about $1149.

If you need an online dealer for NAD, I've had good dealings with Saturday Audio Exchange, though I don't know their price on the T752 is.
post #17 of 450 Old 03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

thats a great price for the 762!
i paid $900 for the 752 from Yawa.
i don't know what their URL is exactly, just do a search.
they are an authorized retailer, which may account for the higher price- or they could just be more expensive in general.

they also sell less expensive factory refurbs there with 1 year warrantys.

no problems with them ( although i haven't really contacted them since the purchase), and the unit was shipped double boxed -the outside box they used was a Bose box :)
post #18 of 450 Old 03-03-2003, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Audio Lab is an authorized dealer as well, and their prices on subsequent purchases have not been nearly as good. I think I just got lucky.

I would *not* recommend buying from an unauthorized dealer, as it voids your warranty with NAD.
post #19 of 450 Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 PM

here in singapore, i got my T752 for US$530 (after 15% discount from US$624 list price and before 4% govt sales tax). they tell me they will be selling the T762 at list price of US$924, so given a 15% discount, it should be around US$785.

dun know why the price of NAD here in singapore is much much lower than in N.A., most other brands here are either cost as much as the ones in the US or even higher. maybe its because sinapore is the asian distribution point (or so they tell me)
post #20 of 450 Old 03-03-2003, 09:46 PM

I just picked mine up tonight for $970 tax included from a local dealer. I'm currently waiting for my Rockets and SVS to arrive and have the receiver hooked up to an old paird of JBL l100 century's and it sounds great with them. One concern I have, though, is that there is an inordinate amount of noise that comes from the speakers as I increase the volume when no signal is present (ie, DVD input without a DVD playing). I can also hear a beeping noise that gets louder with volume as each 2db increase in volume occurs. Currently all of the audio is going through cheap RCA's (haven't had time to get digital connectors yet).

1) Does anyone else experience this noise when using RCA's? If so, does using the optical or coaxial digital ins/outs help?

Thanks
post #21 of 450 Old 03-04-2003, 07:12 AM

Hi Rehr0001
I had this problem with my t752 receiver .I found out that if you go in to the menu and turn off all of the options that you ar'nt using such as coax and optical and analogue sources on all the menus eg on cd i only have it coupled with interconnects so turned of all digital options just left it on analogue the blips and noise dissapeared.Let me know how you get on.
cheers pikeman.:)
post #22 of 450 Old 03-04-2003, 07:32 AM

hmmm, im using a toslink cable between my dvdp and t752 and i dun have this problem. maybe i try to get a decent ic tomorrow and check if this is also true for my unit.

u guys happen to know any dedicated nad user groups/forums where we can share ideas/tips, etc? thanks
post #23 of 450 Old 03-04-2003, 10:48 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Don't know of any forums, but do keep us informed.
post #24 of 450 Old 03-04-2003, 08:32 PM

Well, I replaced the RCA's with optical digital cables today and unfortunately the static is still there. With analog, the hiss is always present and louder at higher volumes. With the digital connection the hiss is present when signal is being passed, but goes silent when signal stops (ie, playing a DVD, press stop, hear hiss for a second, then to silence). I havent tried to isolate the source yet ... any suggestions on how to rule in or out the receiver. When I was getting the signal analog through RCA I also noticed that while on the DVD input, with no signal and at high volume, the sattelite audio was bleeding through

Incidentally, while I'm certainly not an audiophile and I haven't really had a chance to put the receiver through its paces with movies, I don't notice the hiss while sound is being put through the speakers.

I think my problem is more than likely not the receiver, but as I play around more I'll let everyone know. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear as well.

The thing definitely has power .... I'm getting over [email protected] ft from the speakers without clipping in a 23x13 room with a ceiling that vaults from 12-16ft and opens into the rest of my house with the pair of JBL L100 century's.

So far, the fan has never come on.
post #25 of 450 Old 03-05-2003, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

What you are describing sounds very much like RF interference. Poorly shielded cable, damaged cable, or cables spooled to form an antenna can all cause a fair amount of extraneous noise. I'm not a cable snob, but I'd start by checking your connections and isolating low-voltage from high-voltage lines. Check the jacks themselves, as well, to be sure nothing is loose. If your dealer is relatively nearby, I would consider bringing the 762 in and trying it with their setup to rule out any defect.

Do you get the same noise/interference if you use headphones? What if you listen to FM radio (that is, if the source is the receiver itself)?
post #26 of 450 Old 03-05-2003, 08:04 AM

hmmm, i checked out my unit after reading the posts about the hiss and beeping (when turning up the volume knob). i dun have the hiss problem, but i do get the beeping sound whenever i crank up the volume, when the input is switched to an input where nothing is connected. the beeping sound only comes on when i crank the volume past +2db.

could be interference alright as fsckd said. my cables are a mess right now and the banana plugs i use are cheap screwed diy types. the components are also temporarily connected to one mains, as ive yet to get a decent and inexpensive ht power strip.
post #27 of 450 Old 03-05-2003, 11:11 AM

I upgraded to an NAD T762 from a reliable R7100/2100 system with a Yamaha DSP-E300. As you well know, I waited about 6 months for arrival.

I hooked the unit up and after turning the unit on (with no input) I turned up the volume (+3 db) to hear how quiet it was - it wasn't. It was noisier than my 10+ yr old 7100.

I then played a couple of DVD movies. The movies sounded great, except for the fact that during the quieter passages, there was an audible whine from the center and rear speakers (DSP?). Also, my Sony DVD player and the NAD did not play well together. After FF, REW, pause or when switching certain scenes, the digital signal lost sync (resulting in no sound). I would have to switch to another input and then switch back to DVD on the NAD to regain the sound. This did not happen with the dealer's T562 hooked up to my T762, but on the other hand, my Sony DVD had no problem providing a digital stream to a T761 the dealer let me use for a week in Aug. 2002 when I originally started looking to upgrade.

I listened to a couple of CD's to see how that would work. Any DSP mode I used had noise. I returned the unit to the dealer, demonstrated the noise, and he promptly gave me their last new one in exchange.

After hooking it up, the noise level was less, but still not what I expected for $1300. I modified the T762 settings at the request of the dealer to set all my speakers to "small" (Thiel CS1.5 fronts, Monitor 8i center, Definitive 1.2x surrounds, M&K Volkswoofer). By doing this all bass was sent to my subwoofer and a noticeable hum was the result when the output was raised to theater listening levels with no input (+3 db).

One other thing I noticed was that when I played a CD via digital input, the beginning of the song was cut off. This did not happen when I used the line inputs instead of digital. I could only conclude that the digital did not sync quick enough or that the T762 muting circuitry didn't release quick enough and thus a chopped off beginning. Also, when playing a CD, the resulting sound was not as good as when I used the line outputs from either the DVD player or my Rotel CD. My dealer explained to me that the D/A's in the players were better than the T762 and that they usually use line inputs for their systems. Anybody have any comments on that?

My listening levels for line inputs were in the negative teens (-1x db) and positive single digits (+x db) in digital for movies.

The whine was still there when playing DVD's on the second T762.

I also thought that I might have an external noise problem, so I shut off all circuits in the house except for one dedicated outlet and ran from that. There was no difference in the noise levels. Nothing changed.

I took one of the DVD's that had silent passages (Harry Potter) to my dealer to try it out on his demo T762. Their T762 exhibited the same behavior, so we tried an experiment. We played the same passage through a Krell processor/amp and there was no whine. We took the pre-amp output of the T762 into a Krell amp - the whine was back. We took a Cambridge Audio DVD player's 5.1 Dolby decoded output into the T762's 7.1 input - no whine. Unless I missed something, it looks like the DSP in the T762 is the problem. The dealer didn't have any other T7xx equipment to test with.

I have emailed Lenbrook (NAD) on 2/12/2002 and even called them later to see if the email was received. I was told that the email will be forwarded to the proper person. I have still not got an answer. My dealer talked to his rep. on Friday, but I haven't heard any word yet.

My past experience with my 7100/2100 has been great. I never had any problems with them.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with their T76x equipment or have any constructive comments/suggestions?

I sure hope Lenbrook (NAD) gets their act together and gets back to me. I hope that the third one I get is worth the $1300 I paid for it. I can get this current kind of DSP performance from a $500 circuit city audio system.

If/when NAD fixes my problem I will post a hopefully, "more glowing", update.

Sorry for the long winded post.
post #28 of 450 Old 03-05-2003, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Allyn22: I'd call NAD on their toll-free number, tell them you require warranty repair, and not get off the phone until they've told you how to get it done. My email to NAD has all been answered within 24 hours, but a two-week turn-around is clearly unacceptable, and for all we know the person your mail was forwarded to might be on vacation (or maternity leave). You sound quite frustrated and I wish you the best of luck.

As for the "digital vs analogue input" question, I too was suprised by this at first. Many CD and DVD players (including my T562 and certainly your Rotel) do indeed have better digital-to-analogue conversion of two-channel material than their "matching" sourround-sound receivers, as "perfect" digital input requires the stereo recording to be mangled by the multi-channel processor before passed through to the speakers. Though it seems counter-intuitive, I run both analog (to the "CD" input) and digital (to the "DVD" input) output from my DVD, so that on home theater applications the 762 receives the digital signal while on musical recordings it receives the pre-processed analog signal. I haven't heard an A/V receiver in the $1000-2000 range that this isn't true of, unfortunately.
post #29 of 450 Old 03-05-2003, 09:03 PM

I only had a little bit of time to tinker today but I checked a couple of things. First, the sound level between analog and digital is very noticeable (not sure of the actual db difference because my wife went to bed early before I was able to test it with the rat shack SPL meter, but it is significantly lower through the digital connection). Anyone else notice this?

I checked the sound through my headphones, and it is exactly the same .... through a digital connection there is audible hiss(that so far I don't notice while source is playing) that quickly terminates when the signal is stopped (ie, stopping the DVD). The analog connection always has audible hiss (even when no source in use) and is louder depending upon the level the output is set at.

I'm starting to second guess my purcahse here .... I'll definitely know more, though, when I get my new speakers and use better quality RCA's.
post #30 of 450 Old 03-06-2003, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 212
rehr0001, what cables are you using? Is your wiring neat or is it a rats nest?

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page