HDMI A/V or not? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2016, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI A/V or not?

Hi all. I'm in a pickle and rather new to the world of A/V electronics... any advise is appreciated.

I'm in the process of building a 5.1 system on a budget... and can't figure out if I should go full HDMI 7.1 A/V receiver and bi-amp the fronts or go with a simple 5.1 system and use the optical dig inputs while using the HDMI on the TV.

I only use a BR player and Apple tv both have HDMI outputs... no cable box, no turntable or cd player. I mostly play music via airplay through the Apple tv, but would like a direct AUX hookup for when that thing acts up. I do have a library of losseless files and very much enjoy music, either 2 channel or digitized up to surround.

My head is hurting after days of research and looking through the endless list of receivers out there. Seems all the mid range A/V $200-$500 HDMI receivers lack in sound quality and die after a few years while the older heavy black boxes are still kicking ass and are readily available used, online. Any insight here would be very helpful...

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 250
In my opinion, your assumptions regarding modern AVR's is false. Get yourself a modern 5.1 avr and connect all your peripherals to it via hdmi, with a single hdmi out to the tv. Bi-amping does absolutely nothing (except use twice as much cable), so get a 7.1 avr only because you want 7 channel surround, otherwise just stick with the 5.1.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett_o View Post
Hi all. I'm in a pickle and rather new to the world of A/V electronics... any advise is appreciated.

I'm in the process of building a 5.1 system on a budget... and can't figure out if I should go full HDMI 7.1 A/V receiver and bi-amp the fronts or go with a simple 5.1 system and use the optical dig inputs while using the HDMI on the TV.

I only use a BR player and Apple tv both have HDMI outputs... no cable box, no turntable or cd player. I mostly play music via airplay through the Apple tv, but would like a direct AUX hookup for when that thing acts up. I do have a library of losseless files and very much enjoy music, either 2 channel or digitized up to surround.

My head is hurting after days of research and looking through the endless list of receivers out there. Seems all the mid range A/V $200-$500 HDMI receivers lack in sound quality and die after a few years while the older heavy black boxes are still kicking ass and are readily available used, online. Any insight here would be very helpful...

Thank you!
What's your budget?

The general rule of thumb is to spend twice as much on speakers as you do on an AVR. Speakers and room acoustics have the most effect on the quality of the sound you hear. Electronics is a distant third, although roomEQ firmware can help fix some audio infelicities.

If you want support for 4K UHD Blu-rays in the not too distant future, you'll need a receiver from the current, 2015, model year (or upgrade later).

Sub $500 AVRs aren't that bad, so long as they have the features you want. I suspect somebody's been exaggerating their problems. However, only the lowest-cost (~$250) entry-level models are limited to 5.1 (or fewer) speaker configurations. All the rest support from 2.0 up to 7.1 (or larger) speaker systems. The entry-level AVRs also don't have network connections, making it impossible to get firmware updates over the net if they have firmware bugs that need to be fixed. It is true that the more expensive models include higher quality room EQ firmware and lots of other features to help persuade you to part with more money.

If you want a specific suggestion, take a look at the Denon AVR S710W. Although its list price is close to $500, refurbished units from Accessories4less are a *lot* less.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2016, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the replays. I agree... bi-amping seems unnecessary. I also agree that Denon is the way to go with these guys. Do you have any other recommendations on Denon 5.1 receivers? I'll probably buy used or refurb... budget is capped at $500.

current speakers are all Paradigm V4.
Mini monitor front
CC 170 center
Atoms back
8" sub.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)