Owner's thread for the Anthem MRX 520 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 89 Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Any good deals on the 520?

thx

bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 89 Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So if we get an Anthem MRX 520, there is no further firmware updates?
post #33 of 89 Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2545 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Anthem is running a 20% off trade in deal right now (details on their web site).

#JB17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 89 Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliasmd View Post
So if we get an Anthem MRX 520, there is no further firmware updates?
Why would you say that?

#JB17
post #35 of 89 Old 05-02-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Best deal anywhere?

bob
post #36 of 89 Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 PM

Because I thought it does not support connecting to internet unlike the other receiver where you can upgrade firmware
post #37 of 89 Old 05-03-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
because i thought it does not support connecting to internet unlike the other receiver where you can upgrade firmware
USB thumb drive. None of the Anthems update over the network.

#JB17
post #38 of 89 Old 05-03-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
USB thumb drive. None of the Anthems update over the network.
Thanks for helping a newbie understand :-) Do you think we could upgrade this receiver for Atmos and other features if Anthem provides firmware upgrade or is that not a possibility?
post #39 of 89 Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for helping a newbie understand :-) Do you think we could upgrade this receiver for Atmos and other features if Anthem provides firmware upgrade or is that not a possibility?
New features, sure, but it would depend what they are.

But not for Atmos or DTS:X as the 520 does not have enough channels....it is a 5.1 AVR only.

#JB17
post #40 of 89 Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 AM

if i need to run the ARC on MRX 520, does the receiver need to be connected to the ethernet? If not, how does it identify the receiver without any bluetooth or wireless connection?
post #41 of 89 Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
if i need to run the ARC on MRX 520, does the receiver need to be connected to the ethernet? If not, how does it identify the receiver without any bluetooth or wireless connection?
You would use a wired network connection. The 520 and the laptop would need to be connected to your home network. You may be able to go straight laptop to 520 as well.

Some reading material for you.

https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/MRX-520-Manual.pdf

#JB17
post #42 of 89 Old 05-25-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
You would use a wired network connection. The 520 and the laptop would need to be connected to your home network. You may be able to go straight laptop to 520 as well.

Some reading material for you.

https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/MRX-520-Manual.pdf
Thanks.. Since I dont have any way of connecting thru ethernet in my living room, I was trying to see if I would need to buy MRX 720 just to get the wireless connection feature else I am good with 100 Watts and 5.2 channel
post #43 of 89 Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have seen numerous mentions over the past 3 years about HDMI handshaking problems on the MRX 520. Is this still a problem, or have recent firmware patches fixed the old bugs? I would be making connections mainly via HDMI to and from TV, DVD, and TIVO. I want a good solid and reliable source selection each time so my technology-challenged girlfriend can just push a button on the universal remote and see what she expects to see.

Thank you to current owners who can chime in.
post #44 of 89 Old 06-26-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
@klmonline , I've never had HDMI handshaking problems with my mrx500 or mrx310 so I doubt you'll have problems with the mrx520.

I've used both with a BluRay player, htpc, apple tv, and pivos aios media player.
post #45 of 89 Old 06-27-2018, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question

Just curious if anyone here has purchased the MRX 520, and regrets not spending the extra $ for the 720. I've got a room that simply doesn't work for home theater - even for a 5.1 set-up. I've also got zone 2 speakers in another room that I currently power from a Denon AVR (which I'll look to trade in for the Anthem while their sale is still going on). The 520 doesn't really appear to support powered output for zone 2 - so I suppose I'd need to run pre-outs to an amp in the zone 2 room. With the 720, I'd have the flexibility of eventually going to a 5.1 system or beyond, and keeping the zone 2 speakers powered from the Anthem.
Play-fi and and the additional 40W per channel are nice additions - but for an additional $1K, I'm not sure they're really critical additions.
I realize the 720 is probably a little more future-proof, but I'm on the fence as to whether I'll really take advantage of that.
Any insights gladly accepted.
post #46 of 89 Old 06-27-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJK59 View Post
Just curious if anyone here has purchased the MRX 520, and regrets not spending the extra $ for the 720. I've got a room that simply doesn't work for home theater - even for a 5.1 set-up. I've also got zone 2 speakers in another room that I currently power from a Denon AVR (which I'll look to trade in for the Anthem while their sale is still going on). The 520 doesn't really appear to support powered output for zone 2 - so I suppose I'd need to run pre-outs to an amp in the zone 2 room. With the 720, I'd have the flexibility of eventually going to a 5.1 system or beyond, and keeping the zone 2 speakers powered from the Anthem.
Play-fi and and the additional 40W per channel are nice additions - but for an additional $1K, I'm not sure they're really critical additions.
I realize the 720 is probably a little more future-proof, but I'm on the fence as to whether I'll really take advantage of that.
Any insights gladly accepted.
The 720 has Atmos, DTS:X, as well as the usual 5.1 and 7.1. I think it comes down to how soon you plan on being able to do HT or not. If you you have no plans for Atmos but do plan on going HT 5.1 soon then get the 520 and add an amp to power your zone two. You can always pick up a quality used 2 channel amps from Rotel, Adcom and others on ebay for $200-$300. But if you have no plans for Atmos, DTS:X or 7.1 then the 720 is a waste of money.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #47 of 89 Old 06-27-2018, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
The 720 has Atmos, DTS:X, as well as the usual 5.1 and 7.1. I think it comes down to how soon you plan on being able to do HT or not. If you you have no plans for Atmos but do plan on going HT 5.1 soon then get the 520 and add an amp to power your zone two. You can always pick up a quality used 2 channel amps from Rotel, Adcom and others on ebay for $200-$300. But if you have no plans for Atmos, DTS:X or 7.1 then the 720 is a waste of money.
Thanks for the response. I've already got an Adcom GFA-555ii that I use to power my mains with my current Denon receiver now (which I use as a pre and to power zone 2). I could use that or go with a relatively economical integrated amp further down the road. I don't know yet how I feel about the value of Play-Fi. I still stream through the house with a Transporter and some old logitech devices. Might not be state-of-the-art, anymore, but it gets the job done. Well, the clock's ticking, and I've got to make a decision before July 1st...
post #48 of 89 Old 07-02-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I was also trying to decide between the 520 and 720. I looked at the invoice I had for my mrx310 and the discount I got was about 25% off list so I decided to hold off on rushing out to get an mrx before July 1. I'm confident I can still get at least 20% off list from a local dealer.

I really want to move to Atmos but my current HT room is not ideal for Atmos and the thought of rigging the existing configuration for Atmos will be a major pain.

In addition to the added cost of the 720, I'd have to look into getting at least 1 pair of speakers that can be surface mounted to the walls or ceiling since in-ceiling is out of the question at the moment.
post #49 of 89 Old 09-16-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anthem MRX-520 ARC problem

I recently purchased a new Anthem MRX-520 receiver. I have a Samsung PDP60 TV, and a Rotel 200watt 5 channel power amplifier. Also, a PlayStation 3, Techniks CD player, and a computer. My speakers are Paradigm Studio 100. Trying to perform the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) software with the supplied microphone, it constantly gave me an «0x03 measurement was not able to acquire a proper response » error. The right speaker would start the frequency sounds, and then after a few seconds, it would stop and give me the error. I tried doing the individual speaker test, and each one worked without problem. I ended up doing the ARC with the IPhone with no problem. I returned the Anthem and received a new one, but with the same result with ARC. I swapped 2 different speakers (used the right, then left, then the centre) with same error. I also by-passed the Rotel, using the Anthem directly, but with the same result. The store that I purchased it from tested my returned Anthem and performed the ARC without any issues. I’m also having other problems now. Friday evening I listened to a music CD on the computer for a good half-hour without any problem. Then on Saturday, while surfing with the computer, the signal would fail, giving me a black screen with writing from the TV saying no signal. I turned the Anthem off and then on, and within minutes, the signal (computer) would fail again. I then switched the hdmi cable from Anthem to TV from (TV) hdmi 2, to hdmi 1. I was then able to use the computer without any issues. The problem with this is that I am now not able to control the Anthem volume with my Bell Canada cable box remote. Having it connected to hdmi 2, I was able to control the Anthem volume, but not on hdmi 1, it then controls the TV sound which I do not use. Any ideas what’s going on here? I would appreciate any feedback on this. As a side note, the Anthem MRX-520 sounds incredibly good. Thank you.
post #50 of 89 Old 09-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Liked: 0
Arc

MRX720- 5.1 set up

Hi,

During ARC2 'quick measure' and 'measure' run for front left and right speakers, the sensitivity calculation displayed on ARC was 68db (with mic at MLP). Is it required to increase this value to 75db prior to actual measurement. What is the correct method to make it 75db.

Whether sensitivity reading can be used for matching the levels of main speaker and sub ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Renoy; 09-26-2018 at 12:37 PM.
post #51 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anthem 520 ARC setup

Picked the 520 up on Friday. Wondering how to connect arc. I ran an ethernet cable from the router to the 520.(not sure what it does). The manual says connect the microphone to the 520 and my computer. Not sure how this is done with one connection on the mic. What am I missing?
Thanks
post #52 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Another new owner question here. Am I missing something, or is the only way to change signal processing modes (Neo, AnthemLogic, Dolby Pro Logic...) to change it in the setup configuration for the input? It seems crazy to me that they wouldn't allow you to simply switch between processing modes to compare them during normal listening, but I can't seem to select a different mode except in the setup menu.
post #53 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmonline View Post
Another new owner question here. Am I missing something, or is the only way to change signal processing modes (Neo, AnthemLogic, Dolby Pro Logic...) to change it in the setup configuration for the input? It seems crazy to me that they wouldn't allow you to simply switch between processing modes to compare them during normal listening, but I can't seem to select a different mode except in the setup menu.
Just hit the "mode" button on the remote and then the up/down arrow button to switch on the fly.

post #54 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Started a thread on some info I'd like about arc and then I saw this thread on the 520 so I thought I'd post here. I traded in a MRX 500, for a new MRX 520. I'm used to using the keyspan adapter with the 500. I'm wondering how to connect arc. I ran an ethernet cable from the router to the 520.(not sure what it does). The manual says "Connect the microphone and the processor to the Computer. Does the usb cable from the mic attach to the usb connection used for updates?
post #55 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Just hit the "mode" button on the remote and then the up/down arrow button to switch on the fly.
Thanks for the fast response, Legairre! I had been doing that, but it wasn't doing anything. I finally figured out that it ignores the Mode button if your source is already surround coded, which included the input coming in on TV programming through my TIVO. I tried some 2-channel DVDs and CDs and sure enough, got the choices.

I'm disappointed that the mode menu does not show up on my monitor. The receiver is in an equipment closet, and I can't see the menu mode on the unit's display from my listening position.
post #56 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post
Started a thread on some info I'd like about arc and then I saw this thread on the 520 so I thought I'd post here. I traded in a MRX 500, for a new MRX 520. I'm used to using the keyspan adapter with the 500. I'm wondering how to connect arc. I ran an ethernet cable from the router to the 520.(not sure what it does). The manual says "Connect the microphone and the processor to the Computer. Does the usb cable from the mic attach to the usb connection used for updates?
I found this a little confusing at first as well! The microphone never connects to the 520. That USB slot is only for firmware updates. You need to download the ARC software to a laptop computer and plug the microphone into the laptop. The laptop then communicates with the 520 via wireless network. The 520 generates the signals and the laptop collects and analyzes them.

Get the ARC software from the Anthem website. You will need to note the 6-digit number on your calibration microphone, as the software has a calibration file keyed to your specific mike.

Good luck!
post #57 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I found this a little confusing at first as well! The microphone never connects to the 520. That USB slot is only for firmware updates. You need to download the ARC software to a laptop computer and plug the microphone into the laptop. The laptop then communicates with the 520 via wireless network. The 520 generates the signals and the laptop collects and analyzes them.

Get the ARC software from the Anthem website. You will need to note the 6-digit number on your calibration microphone, as the software has a calibration file keyed to your specific mike.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I downloaded everything from the Anthem website but I couldn't figure out how to connect.
post #58 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the fast response, Legairre! I had been doing that, but it wasn't doing anything. I finally figured out that it ignores the Mode button if your source is already surround coded, which included the input coming in on TV programming through my TIVO. I tried some 2-channel DVDs and CDs and sure enough, got the choices.

I'm disappointed that the mode menu does not show up on my monitor. The receiver is in an equipment closet, and I can't see the menu mode on the unit's display from my listening position.
Make sure you have the 520 setup to display on your TV or projector. Go to the Preferences/line Output screen. Once in there go to the On-Screen Info Display screen and set the screen to 16:9 or 2:4:1 depending on your screen and you'll get the info on the screen when you increase or decrease the volume or press the mode button to see the decoding.

post #59 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Make sure you have the 520 setup to display on your TV or projector. Go to the Preferences/line Output screen. Once in there go to the On-Screen Info Display screen and set the screen to 16:9 or 2:4:1 depending on your screen and you'll get the info on the screen when you increase or decrease the volume or press the mode button to see the decoding.
D'oh! You are right. I had turned off that display option because I didn't like seeing volume change information every time I feel like raising or lowering the volume a bit during a show. Okay, I'll live with that. Thank you for helping to clarify things for this noob. I was confused because it still shows other menu selection choices such as input selection.
post #60 of 89 Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
D'oh! You are right. I had turned off that display option because I didn't like seeing volume change information every time I feel like raising or lowering the volume a bit during a show. Okay, I'll live with that. Thank you for helping to clarify things for this noob. I was confused because it still shows other menu selection choices such as input selection.
Hey no problem, glad to help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page