HDMI ARC vs Optical? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Originally Posted by scarabaeus
"ARC can easily do DDPlus (192kHz transport with 7.1 and Atmos vs. 48 kHz for Dolby Digital with just 5.1), but most TV manufacturers share the audio signal with the optical / RCA SPDIF output, and therefore limit it to 48 kHz. Some TVs separate the audio, and do DD on SPDIF and DD+ on ARC. This is even mandated, by Dolby, for Dolby Vision TVs."

Originally Posted by Montucky
"ARC and CEC are both great ideas, but I think the biggest problem we're seeing is a lack of standardization throughout the industry. Sadly, getting everybody on the same page seems to be a fruitless battle that we've witnessed for many, many years."

Originally Posted by gbrandon
"The TV and electronics industry are like the wild west, everybody does what they want with no regard for the consumer and implement these new technologies that are either not fully tested or implemented correctly in the hardware. I have lost any hope for any working "standard" ARC is 75% of the way there and CEC is 50% IMO."

First, thanks to all of you for posting this. Learning from these kinds of posts are what keep me coming back.

It is a rather sad state of affairs for audio quality. I had some hopes that ATSC 3.0 might raise the bar but that seems unlikely. Until manufacturers and broadcasters see audio quality as a product differentiator and a competitive advantage, they have little incentive to change. Meanwhile, the realm of silver disks remains the best current option for high quality audio audio, and even then there's no guarantee.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 04-19-2018, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I appreciate this is an old thread.

Couple of questions, please excuse my ignorance.

I have just bought a UHD blu-ray and UHD TV and have an existing surround sound that accepts 'Dolby True HD'.
The blu-ray player has a HDMI 2.0 out (tv) and an HDMI 1.4 out (receiver) plus an optical out.

4k Blu ray
So blu-ray wise my setup is simple, HDMI out to tv and HDMI audio to receiver.

Apple TV
However I'm considering an Apple TV, which only has a single HDMI out.

2. If I connect hdmi out to receiver, I won't get 4k / dolby vision to the TV as the receiver is old.
So if I hdmi to the tv and then bring audio back to the receiver, should I use HDMI ARC or optical?

3. Is it possible to get lossless audio via the above?

Sky

I'm less bothered about this one, but assume I do HDMI to TV and then HDMI (or optical) back to receiver as above.

Thanks
Graham
post #33 of 41 Old 04-21-2018, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21644 Post(s)
Liked: 11681
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlaws View Post
Hi,

I appreciate this is an old thread.

Couple of questions, please excuse my ignorance.

I have just bought a UHD blu-ray and UHD TV and have an existing surround sound that accepts 'Dolby True HD'.
The blu-ray player has a HDMI 2.0 out (tv) and an HDMI 1.4 out (receiver) plus an optical out.

4k Blu ray
So blu-ray wise my setup is simple, HDMI out to tv and HDMI audio to receiver.

Apple TV
However I'm considering an Apple TV, which only has a single HDMI out.

2. If I connect hdmi out to receiver, I won't get 4k / dolby vision to the TV as the receiver is old.
So if I hdmi to the tv and then bring audio back to the receiver, should I use HDMI ARC or optical?

3. Is it possible to get lossless audio via the above?

Sky

I'm less bothered about this one, but assume I do HDMI to TV and then HDMI (or optical) back to receiver as above.

Thanks
Graham
Apple TV
2. Depends on which output provides the best audio. Some TVs can pass DD+ over HDMI(ARC).
3. Nope. Lossless is only possible via the new (not yet released) HDMI(eARC) and then only when featured on both the TV and the AVR.
See The Light and ChromeJob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Hey guys, I found this thread while doing ARC research. Got a couple questions:

1. I have a Sony XBR-43X800D as my current 4K / HDR compatible TV (2016 model.)
My main devices on this TV are Apple TV 4k, Sony UBP-X800 UHD player, and 2017 Roku Ultra.
The Sony has dual HDMI outputs, so I have a dedicated HDMI connection to my Vizio SB3651-e6 5.1 soundbar (2017 model.)
2. My second question is, the Apple TV, and ROKU can both play [email protected], and the TV only has 2 [email protected] ports (if the enhanced HDMI signal is enabled.)
Will I be OK for a while If I use the ARC port with the sound bar instead of optical, and be able to continue to play my HDR content? most of my services, VUDU, iTunes I think are 30, or 24p for movies, and the Disc player would be be on the remaining [email protected] compatible port.
The reason, I'm considering this is because apparently some of the built in Apps for android TV such as Google play movies, only give me 5.1 from ARC, optical gives me 2.0. It's true I could use Google play from the Roku, and get 5.1 over optical, but I am curious how the performance will be.
Maybe it's something, I'll just find out by trial and error, just curious what the best route is.

Thanks.
post #35 of 41 Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Fire TV Edition does not have ARC OUT?

I recently returned a Toshiba Fire TV Edition in hope of using the HDMI ARC to my Yamaha RX V779. I spent over a week trying every possible way to get the TV to output the audio via HDMI 1, 2 , 3. Then used Optical Digital ...no luck.

Unlike FireStick that connects to my HDMI input on the AVR, the Toshiba Fire TV failed to send the audio signals out. I suspect that the Amazon Prime program might have prevented the audio output to AVR or I had a bad fluke with this Toshiba Fire TV...

Now I am wondering just which Smart TV can truly output audio from the HDMI ARC OUT to connect to an AVR, not soundbar.

Last edited by natchie; 02-06-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #36 of 41 Old 02-06-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
I recently returned a Toshiba Fire TV Edition in hope of using the HDMI ARC to my Yamaha RX V779. I spent over a week trying every possible way to get the TV to output the audio via HDMI 1, 2 , 3. Then used Optical Digital ...no luck.

Unlike FireStick that connects to my HDMI input on the AVR, the Toshiba Fire TV failed to send the audio signals out. I suspect that the Amazon Prime program might have prevented the audio output to AVR or I had a bad fluke with this Toshiba Fire TV...

Now I am wondering just which Smart TV can truly output audio from the HDMI ARC OUT to connect to an AVR, not soundbar.
Holy thread revival, Batman. ... Didn't you post this question in another thread topic?

I'm unclear, is this a plug in device to a Toshiba TV, or is this a built-in app on the TV. It ought to send audio out via S/PDIF or HDMI-ARC, but if it refuses to, that's something to take up with Toshiba. Generally only ONE HDMI IN on a TV is ARC enabled, so ensure you're using that one.

As far as shopping for a TV that sends audio out via ARC or SPDIF, that's the fun of shopping. If it supports audio out to a soundbar, it should work for an AVR as well, that's how it works.
natchie likes this.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #37 of 41 Old 02-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Holy thread revival, Batman. ... Didn't you post this question in another thread topic?

I'm unclear, is this a plug in device to a Toshiba TV, or is this a built-in app on the TV. It ought to send audio out via S/PDIF or HDMI-ARC, but if it refuses to, that's something to take up with Toshiba. Generally only ONE HDMI IN on a TV is ARC enabled, so ensure you're using that one.

As far as shopping for a TV that sends audio out via ARC or SPDIF, that's the fun of shopping. If it supports audio out to a soundbar, it should work for an AVR as well, that's how it works.
Hi ChromeJob!
Thanks for commenting...love the Batman reference.

Yeah, I guess I wanted to let people know about the challenge of connecting Toshiba FireTV Edition...with built in WiFi and Amazon Prime program.

Before I bought the FireTV, I experimented with FireStick and instead of connecting to my plain JVC TV, I connected it to the Yamaha HDMI and was able to get the full audio outputs. But with the FireTV, I suspect that it will not normally output the audio signals from the HDMI, including one designated as HDMI ARC. Then there was a discussion about ARC IN vs ARC OUT, and I suspect that FireTV does not feature ARC OUT, nor did any of other HDMI or Optical Digital work as expected. Again, I could have gotten a fluke. But burned once, I am not ready to take a chance with any of the SmartTV.
post #38 of 41 Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still don't understand, is this Toshiba a TV with Amazon Prime Video built-in? Or Fire TV (like the TVs with Roku streaming built-in)?

Could you get audio from plain old over the air HDTV via the HDMI-ARC input? How about the other built-in apps?

BTW, don't know what you mean by "ARC IN" and "ARC OUT." An ARC-enabled HDMI OUT on the AVR goes into an ARC-enabled HDMI IN on a TV. That's it. Period. Check the TV manual to determine which HDMI input that is.

If you returned it, then your troubleshooting is over. So, try again with another TV. Either the Toshiba TV was faulty, or you were doing something wrong. Personally, I don't recommend "Smart TVs" with all the apps in them, dedicated streaming devices are IMHO more reliable, and you plug them right into an AVR for highest quality sound (which you can't get with ARC or S/PDIF).

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 02-06-2019 at 09:19 PM.
post #39 of 41 Old 02-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I still don't understand, is this Toshiba a TV with Amazon Prime Video built-in? Or Fire TV (like the TVs with Roku streaming built-in)?

Could you get audio from plain old over the air HDTV via the HDMI-ARC input? How about the other built-in apps?

BTW, don't know what you mean by "ARC IN" and "ARC OUT." An ARC-enabled HDMI OUT on the AVR goes into an ARC-enabled HDMI IN on a TV. That's it. Period. Check the TV manual to determine which HDMI input that is.

If you returned it, then your troubleshooting is over. So, try again with another TV. Either the Toshiba TV was faulty, or you were doing something wrong. Personally, I don't recommend "Smart TVs" with all the apps in them, dedicated streaming devices are IMHO more reliable, and you plug them right into an AVR for highest quality sound (which you can't get with ARC or S/PDIF).
Here is the link to the Toshiba FireTV that I bought and returned. It is similar to the ROKU but using Amazon Prime Fire program:

Toshiba - 43” Class – LED - 2160p – Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR – Fire TV Edition
Model:43LF621U19 SKU:6194907

I am beginning to suspect that "Smart TVs" are contributing to faulty setup with audio.

My separate use of FIRE STICK works flawlessly and connects to HDMI In on the AVR without a problem.

What this suggests to me is that Smart TVs want to replace the AVR with a soundboard system...?
post #40 of 41 Old 02-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

If it ever works, it has to be your Toshiba TV HDMI1 <----> Yamaha V779 HDMI1 OUT. No other way.
That's the first hardware connection.
Now, go to BOTH devices and try to enable ARC (remember do on BOTH)
You can try with Youtube app on your TV.

Also, you've mentioned the FireStick that plugged directly into your AVR, it has NOTHING to do with ARC. It is a straight forward signal, not a return signal.
natchie likes this.

Last edited by tinhvo; 02-07-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #41 of 41 Old 02-07-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Toshiba - 43” Class – LED - 2160p – Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR – Fire TV Edition
Model:43LF621U19 SKU:6194907

I am beginning to suspect that "Smart TVs" are contributing to faulty setup with audio.
My separate use of FIRE STICK works flawlessly and connects to HDMI In on the AVR without a problem.
What this suggests to me is that Smart TVs want to replace the AVR with a soundboard system...?
No. You're got your tin foil hat on too tight, causing pressure. Either the Toshiba model was defective, or you were doing something wrong. Better luck next time.
natchie likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page