Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
HDMI ARC vs Optical?

HDMI Arc will give me the ability to change settings on screen with a lot of systems. But is optical better audio quality than HDMI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyStar View Post
HDMI Arc will give me the ability to change settings on screen with a lot of systems. But is optical better audio quality than HDMI?
Since they are technically the same signal/format, the short answer is "no". However, how they are implemented in your setup can be quite different (ARC can be problematic).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.25.70]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #3 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
The ability to control other devices is hdmi control, not arc. Arc is only the return audio part.
Hdmi control must be on for arc to work, but not the reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Usually they are the same signal (typically 5.1 compressed Dolby Digital from many sources), but if you want to bitstream multichannel audio, or if you want to use high-quality formats like Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, or DTS:HD, you would need to use an HDMI connection and not the optical cable.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #5 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
In my experience, ARC can be finicky whereas optical seems to ALWAYS work. Since they have the exact capabilities as far as I know, I typically stick with optical. That said, I love the idea of the simplicity of ARC. It's just been hit and miss for me as sometimes the CEC HDMI Control (which you have to have turned on for ARC to work) can get in the way of your system working the way you want it to. Now when CEC is playing perfectly nice with all of the equipment? Then ARC can be pretty cool. That's been the exception and not the rule for me, though.
post #6 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 2
The one thing I find with optical is, depending on the system, you dont get an onscreen display.

Take the cheap sony soundbars for instance, sounds great with optical, but you have concept of where levels are at as there is no display.

Can you run HDMI for display and use optical for sound at the same time?
post #7 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 125
HDMI ARC vs Optical?

Nm

Last edited by rick98761; 02-26-2016 at 03:51 PM.
post #8 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
Usually they are the same signal (typically 5.1 compressed Dolby Digital from many sources), but if you want to bitstream multichannel audio, or if you want to use high-quality formats like Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, or DTS:HD, you would need to use an HDMI connection and not the optical cable.
ARC is not capable of Dolby True HD, Atmos or DTS HD. ARC and optical out of the TV are the same,
post #9 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
In my experience, ARC can be finicky whereas optical seems to ALWAYS work. Since they have the exact capabilities as far as I know, I typically stick with optical. That said, I love the idea of the simplicity of ARC. It's just been hit and miss for me as sometimes the CEC HDMI Control (which you have to have turned on for ARC to work) can get in the way of your system working the way you want it to. Now when CEC is playing perfectly nice with all of the equipment? Then ARC can be pretty cool. That's been the exception and not the rule for me, though.
I don't think we should throw in the towel on ARC, but go after it, and hold the manufacturers hands to the fire if issues appear. We all compromise, but I don't think we should avoid a nice feature.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #10 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
ARC is not capable of Dolby True HD, Atmos or DTS HD. ARC and optical out of the TV are the same,
Yes. ARC uses two pins on the HMDI connector and can only handle the older compressed formats.

However, the HMDI cable can do more; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Audio.2Fvideo

Quote:
For digital audio, if an HDMI device has audio, it is required to implement the baseline format: stereo (uncompressed) PCM. Other formats are optional, with HDMI allowing up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at sample sizes of 16-bit, 20-bit and 24-bit, with sample rates of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz. HDMI also carries any IEC 61937-compliant compressed audio stream, such as Dolby Digital and DTS, and up to 8 channels of one-bit DSD audio (used on Super Audio CDs) at rates up to four times that of Super Audio CD. With version 1.3, HDMI allows lossless compressed audio streams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
HDMI 2.0 goes up to 32 channels....

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #11 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
Yes. ARC uses two pins on the HMDI connector and can only handle the older compressed formats.

However, the HMDI cable can do more; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Audio.2Fvideo

HDMI 2.0 goes up to 32 channels....
Of course the hdmi cable can do more.....just not with ARC. I know I was disappointed in that aspect (should be footnoted everytime they say hdmi and arc together, plus they should have to disclose just what the tv will pass in the way of audio with ARC) ......then there's all the funky stuff HDMI-CEC wants to do which was even worse....
post #12 of 41 Old 02-27-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
I don't think we should throw in the towel on ARC, but go after it, and hold the manufacturers hands to the fire if issues appear. We all compromise, but I don't think we should avoid a nice feature.
Oh, I agree completely. I do love the idea of ARC. Now if only manufacturers could make it operate totally independently from CEC (another good idea although poorly implemented). They could easily do this with the inherent capabilities of the HDMI cable and its plethora of pins. I bet if somebody put in some effort, they'd even be able to pass lossless formats with as many channels as we'd want.

ARC and CEC are both great ideas, but I think the biggest problem we're seeing is a lack of standardization throughout the industry. Sadly, getting everybody on the same page seems to be a fruitless battle that we've witnessed for many, many years.
post #13 of 41 Old 02-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
ARC can easily do DDPlus (192kHz transport with 7.1 and Atmos vs. 48 kHz for Dolby Digital with just 5.1), but most TV manufacturers share the audio signal with the optical / RCA SPDIF output, and therefore limit it to 48 kHz. Some TVs separate the audio, and do DD on SPDIF and DD+ on ARC. This is even mandated, by Dolby, for Dolby Vision TVs.
See The Light likes this.
post #14 of 41 Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
ARC worked great on my receiver for awhile, then all of a sudden quit (well what happens is now, when I use my Harmony remote, when it switches to the HDMI in from my DirecTV box, it then automatically switches to the TV/CD input (which is the ARC return). So now I'm toying with going back to toslink, but it does lose some DD setups on the smart TV.

Steve
post #15 of 41 Old 03-25-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Quoted: 21831 Post(s)
Liked: 11827
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
ARC worked great on my receiver for awhile, then all of a sudden quit (well what happens is now, when I use my Harmony remote, when it switches to the HDMI in from my DirecTV box, it then automatically switches to the TV/CD input (which is the ARC return). So now I'm toying with going back to toslink, but it does lose some DD setups on the smart TV.
The current 2015 D+M models have a new "TV Audio Switching" setting which when set to OFF prevents the AVR from switching to the "TV Audio" source when first powered on and when HDMI(ARC) is enabled.
post #16 of 41 Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The current 2015 D+M models have a new "TV Audio Switching" setting which when set to OFF prevents the AVR from switching to the "TV Audio" source when first powered on and when HDMI(ARC) is enabled.
Forgive me for my ignorance, What is a D+M model? Denon and Marantz? I have an Onkyo so I don't think that would apply to me. It does seem weird how it would work and then stop working. No firmware updates to either TV (LG Model) or Receiver (firmware updated AFTER issue started happening).

Steve
post #17 of 41 Old 03-25-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 69
ARC will always suck as long as it is with HDMI control. I prefer optical because it doesn't carry the buzzy noise like HDMI. Although optical thru the TV will still give a higher noise floor, HDMI is worse with buzzing noise. If you don't listen to your material at or near 0db or use external amps then it's not an issue for you.

I am extremely picky and don't even use USB for my DAC because I can hear buzzing noise.

To the poster above yes D&M is Denon and Marantz
post #18 of 41 Old 04-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
General question about ARC:

I understand it returns the audio via the same cable, but does ARC pass through the audio too? For example, if my apple TV is directly connected to my TV on a regular HDMI input and the A/V receiver is connected to my TV on HDMI with ARC, does my TV send Apple TV's audio to my receiver?

Sony HX-929 TV
Canton DM-100 Soundbase
post #19 of 41 Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshamim View Post
General question about ARC:

I understand it returns the audio via the same cable, but does ARC pass through the audio too? For example, if my apple TV is directly connected to my TV on a regular HDMI input and the A/V receiver is connected to my TV on HDMI with ARC, does my TV send Apple TV's audio to my receiver?
I believe it should, but the audio will be downgraded from what the ATV can provide via HDMI. Why not plug it directly into your AVR?
sshamim likes this.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #20 of 41 Old 04-24-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The audio will not be downgraded unless the Apple TV App is using the lossless formats. I don't think any of the Apple TV apps use lossless. If your TV does not handle 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS then it would be stereo, but that depends on the model of the TV. I know all the Sony TVs handle 5.1 and that is what is sent via ARC.
sshamim likes this.
post #21 of 41 Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I hope this isn't stealing the thread, but I have a question about ARC and 12 Volt triggering my external amp.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite- SC-81 connected to a Halo A23 power amp. I connected the two using a 12 Volt trigger cable (and an adapter since the Halo is a 2.5 mm hole vs the 3.5 mm hole of my Pioneer). I flipped the switch so the Halo will turn on when the receiver turns on. This works when I have the input set to my PS4, which is connected to my receiver and then onto the tv's HDMI 1 input. This works flawlessly.

When I switch the input to "TV", which gets the sound from ARC, the amp turns off, leaving me with just the center and subwoofer functioning.

What the hell, man? I'm going to try to connect my optical wire tonight and see if it prevents the amp from turning off. Anyone have any insight into this? Is this just another drawback of ARC?
post #22 of 41 Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megametaman View Post
I hope this isn't stealing the thread, but I have a question about ARC and 12 Volt triggering my external amp.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite- SC-81 connected to a Halo A23 power amp. I connected the two using a 12 Volt trigger cable (and an adapter since the Halo is a 2.5 mm hole vs the 3.5 mm hole of my Pioneer). I flipped the switch so the Halo will turn on when the receiver turns on. This works when I have the input set to my PS4, which is connected to my receiver and then onto the tv's HDMI 1 input. This works flawlessly.

When I switch the input to "TV", which gets the sound from ARC, the amp turns off, leaving me with just the center and subwoofer functioning.

What the hell, man? I'm going to try to connect my optical wire tonight and see if it prevents the amp from turning off. Anyone have any insight into this? Is this just another drawback of ARC?
Better served posting this in the SC-81 Owner's thread ....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...rs-thread.html
post #23 of 41 Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't heard of ARC messing with voltage triggers. Some receivers you can set the trigger by input. I would check that in your Pioneer. If you manually switch from the PS4 to TV does the amp shut off? If so then it is not an ARC problem.
post #24 of 41 Old 07-16-2017, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Hi JD - with the Denon x5200 and ARC enabled, if you set this option to "off," that only affects your tv from switching to TV Audio when first turned on, correct? In other words, ARC will work fine once you go to a TV apps source or OTA. I believe I need to change this setting to off as my tv always gives me a notification that it's switching to external speakers upon booting up with my cable source.

Also, do both optical and ARC do DD+, which can handle Dolby Atmos from streaming sources? Any difference in compression or sound quality between ARC and optical on the x5200?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #25 of 41 Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Hi JD - with the Denon x5200 and ARC enabled, if you set this option to "off," that only affects your tv from switching to TV Audio when first turned on, correct? In other words, ARC will work fine once you go to a TV apps source or OTA. I believe I need to change this setting to off as my tv always gives me a notification that it's switching to external speakers upon booting up with my cable source.

Also, do both optical and ARC do DD+, which can handle Dolby Atmos from streaming sources? Any difference in compression or sound quality between ARC and optical on the x5200?
1. Correct. With the "TV Audio Switching" = OFF, you would need to manually select the "TV Audio" source on the remote in order for the AVR to receive the ARC audio from the TV.
2. No, rather DD+ requires HDMI. If ARC and optical are passing the same audio stream (eg. stereo 2.0 or DD 5.1), then should be no difference in audio quality.
post #26 of 41 Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
1. Correct. With the "TV Audio Switching" = OFF, you would need to manually select the "TV Audio" source on the remote in order for the AVR to receive the ARC audio from the TV.
2. No, rather DD+ requires HDMI. If ARC and optical are passing the same audio stream (eg. stereo 2.0 or DD 5.1), then should be no difference in audio quality.
Thanks, JD. I tried turning "TV Audio Switching" to "OFF" on my Denon x5200 and it didn't work that great with my Sony 75X900E. I just left it "ON." The TV boots to Cable/Sat and that usually works fine. When I toggle to "Apps" or "Channels-OTA" - - it switches fine. Sometimes, you have to reset the "Input" to ensure you get audio back on HDMI2 & HDMI3. I'll live with that as my TV was confused over the "OFF" setting for whatever reason.

So DD+ requires HDMI or ARC? I had thought optical could handle DD+ but apparently only 2.0 or 5.1. The reason I bring this up was a comment a poster made in another forum (Roku Premier+) that optical sounded better to him than ARC and it was less compressed. I know DD+ can provide Dolby Atmos soundtracks from the few streaming sources that provide it. The question remains whether there is any difference in sound quality between ARC and optical with the same 2.0 or 5.1 source signal. My guess is no difference - - at least to my ears.
See The Light likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #27 of 41 Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Thanks, JD. I tried turning "TV Audio Switching" to "OFF" on my Denon x5200 and it didn't work that great with my Sony 75X900E. I just left it "ON." The TV boots to Cable/Sat and that usually works fine. When I toggle to "Apps" or "Channels-OTA" - - it switches fine. Sometimes, you have to reset the "Input" to ensure you get audio back on HDMI2 & HDMI3. I'll live with that as my TV was confused over the "OFF" setting for whatever reason.

So DD+ requires HDMI or ARC? I had thought optical could handle DD+ but apparently only 2.0 or 5.1. The reason I bring this up was a comment a poster made in another forum (Roku Premier+) that optical sounded better to him than ARC and it was less compressed. I know DD+ can provide Dolby Atmos soundtracks from the few streaming sources that provide it. The question remains whether there is any difference in sound quality between ARC and optical with the same 2.0 or 5.1 source signal. My guess is no difference - - at least to my ears.
Nope.
post #28 of 41 Old 11-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
ARC can easily do DDPlus (192kHz transport with 7.1 and Atmos vs. 48 kHz for Dolby Digital with just 5.1), but most TV manufacturers share the audio signal with the optical / RCA SPDIF output, and therefore limit it to 48 kHz. Some TVs separate the audio, and do DD on SPDIF and DD+ on ARC. This is even mandated, by Dolby, for Dolby Vision TVs.
Thank you, this is great to know, as I have been telling people that ARC is limited to DD and not capable of DD+ and Atmos.

Quote:
You sir are a lifesaver, Just went to a Harmony remote and lost the TV audio switching and the audio to my Marantz 7702MKII when watching OTA via arc on my tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post

ARC and CEC are both great ideas, but I think the biggest problem we're seeing is a lack of standardization throughout the industry. Sadly, getting everybody on the same page seems to be a fruitless battle that we've witnessed for many, many years.
The TV and electronics industry are like the wild west, everybody does what they want with no regard for the consumer and implement these new technologies that are either not fully tested or implemented correctly in the hardware. I have lost any hope for any working "standard" ARC is 75% of the way there and CEC is 50% IMO.
jjackkrash and Bill-99 like this.
post #29 of 41 Old 12-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, my ? is
My cable box currently plugs into my LG ARC port.
if I plug my LG ARC port into my soundbar and connect the HDMI out from the sound bar to my cable box will the sound from all the other devices, plugged into the TV, still come out the soundbar?
Does the TV always put sound out the ARC channel regardless of which HDMI input is active?
Tnx

LG OLED65B7P
Vizio SB4551-D5 soundbar
post #30 of 41 Old 12-17-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by process View Post
So, my ? is
My cable box currently plugs into my LG ARC port.
if I plug my LG ARC port into my soundbar and connect the HDMI out from the sound bar to my cable box will the sound from all the other devices, plugged into the TV, still come out the soundbar?
Does the TV always put sound out the ARC channel regardless of which HDMI input is active?
Tnx

LG OLED65B7P
Vizio SB4551-D5 soundbar
Nope. The LG ARC port is an "input" not an output so would be connected to the "output" of the sound bar (if it has one as most connect the optical cable from the TV).

The cable box would be connected to an HDMI "input" on the sound bar.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page