Onkyo 2016 A/V Receiver Line Owner's Thread: TX-SR353,TX-NR555, TX-NR656, TX-NR757 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #1 of 141 Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Onkyo 2016 A/V Receiver Line Owner's Thread: TX-SR353,TX-NR555, TX-NR656, TX-NR757

Onkyo Unveils 2016 A/V Receiver Line:

http://hdguru.com/onkyo-unveils-2016-av-receiver-line/

TX-SR353
TX-NR555
TX-NR656
TX-NR757

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/pro...class=Receiver

XBR65X930C, AVR-X4200W, NVIDIA ShieldTV, SVS SB12-NSD, RF-42 II, RC-52 II, RB-41 II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 03-25-2016, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There are some pretty sweet features on these like HDR and few others I like. I'll be looking to upgrade in a year or so.
post #3 of 141 Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 2643
Very nice offerings for Onkyo's entry to mid level lines...just a few general comments:

1. Appears the 4x4 (454) has been dropped
2. Per a European (French) news publication, the RZ800 (7 ch) and RZ900 (7 ch) will soon be dropped as well
3. Per the same publication, the RZ1000 (9 ch) and RZ3000 (11 ch) will be replacements with announcements forthcoming
4. Per @jdsmoothie in the 1000/3000 thread, the RZ1000 is expected to be available in July
iatacs19 likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 141 Old 05-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the Coming weeks I will be Purchasing either a TX-NR555 or a Marantz 150X or 160X to replace my TX-NR626 that got fried during a recent thunderstorm, I'll let y'all know if there are any problems if I end up going this route.

Last edited by Icer Jo; 05-17-2016 at 05:58 PM.
post #5 of 141 Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just purchased an Onkyo TX-NR656 and a pair of Klipsch R15M bookshelf speakers. First receiver I have purchased since the Sony STR-DA1000ES so I am new to the home theater game. Any help or suggestions to get my receiver and speakers set up will be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 141 Old 07-03-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Currently I'm researching a 4K compatible AVR to replace my Harman-Kardon AVR3600. I'm used to and like the 'warm' sound that HKs are known for.

I'm seriously considering the NR757 because it appears to hit all of the marks I'm looking for. But no reviews anywhere yet about it which is concerning.

So how is the Onkyo line going to compare with the 'warm' sound of my HK? For info I've had Denon and Yamaha in the past and found the Denon to be OK, but not quite what I'm looking for. It isn't 'warm' by any definition I'm aware of.

Usage is all around viewing TV and movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lloyd
post #7 of 141 Old 07-04-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Decided since this is a rainy day and I have a 45-day return window with BestBuy, that I would just get the NR757 and give it a whirl.

Initial setup is in progress, got wifi setup and it is getting a firmware update. But I did get a quick look & listen to it and things seem OK.

Went through the initial setup and it set things fairly well. I changed the crossovers to where I wanted them and may twiddle the sub a little down, got to listen more to make those changes though.

Controls are very straightforward as was the menu system. No issues. The THX functions work quite well IMO. Picture seems fine as a passthrough to my my 4K Sharp TV, no softness that some had indicated in other Onkyo's.

Overall quite pleased. I wouldn't call the sound 'warm', but I'd call it excellent. Bass is a little crisper than with my HK AVR3600, but is very well as part of the sound field.

The setup is the Onkyo NR757, Velodyne 12" sub, Cerwin-Vega satellites/center speakers.

Lloyd
post #8 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmmm..... This thread is deader than last year's mackerel! In the meantime, I guess I'll talk to myself.

Did some changing of the setup of the speakers from the automatic settings. Changed satellites/center to 80Hz, LFE to 120. Bumped Intellisound to +10.

That last really improved the overall sound IMO, especially at lower levels. Color me impressed! One of the issues for me with the sound setup on the various AVRs I've had over the years was that at lower volume levels things just weren't good for my aging ears and my tinnitus doesn't help in that. So the fix was always play it loud!

Now with the Intellisound set the way I have it, at 30db relative everything is there and perceived by me. I like that! I may play with that setting a bit to 'fine tune' it, as well as twiddle the sub setting. +5 on the sub just seems like it would be too high.

In the 2015 owner's thread I've seen some posts about the display and how old school it is. Yes, it is. But how many times are you actually looking at it? That said, the little indicators for odds and ends like audio input codec are completely worthless since they aren't at all 'readable' from any kind of normal sitting position.

Now to SQ. I put the 757 in place of a Harman-Kardon AVR3600. Overall the SQ between the two is different, but both are excellent. The Onkyo does a much better job with dialog than the HK and the Denon I had previously. It is well defined and easy to hear.

The biggest difference is in how the sub works with the two. With Onkyo it seems the bass is more defined, with HK the best description is 'more refined', IOW smoother. To my ears both are excellent with bass, with Onkyo being a better tv/movie AVR compared to the HK being a better music AVR.

Currently I have ARC in use, but it is a bit irritating to have both the AVR and TV volume slider showing up on the screen. Since I'm not using ARC for anything else, and I have a Harmony One, and I have an optical cable from TV to AVR, I think I'll turn that off unless someone can tell me a good reason not to. Both ARC and optical only carry DD I can't see an advantage of one over the other.

I noticed that not only is this thread, or any thread about 2016 Onkyo's are dead here, they don't even have a section in the Onkyo support forums for the 2016s. Odd.

Lloyd
post #9 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Lol I appreciate your impressions. I may be getting an 757 soon so Thank you Sir.

post #10 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are welcome. It is a very nice AVR with lots of bells and whistles.

Back to Intellisound. I had remembered that one poster in the 2015 owner's thread said kick it up to +10, so I did that. Wonderful, but I got to thinking what the heck is Intellisound? I didn't actually know. So I googled it! Turns out that it is set per source with the idea in mind that the same volume level will produce the same output level at the speaker. So I've been twiddling that a bit.

And since I already had an optical connection between TV and AVR, I turned off ARC which got rid of the dual volume sliders. I did notice that the output level of the optical is lower than the ARC output. May decide to turn on ARC and 'hide' the 757's volume slider. Of course, that assumes I can find where to do that.

Lloyd
post #11 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well I'm about to go to Best Buy and pick up the 757, replacing a Pioneer 1130k I bought around January. The sound is great but it messed with my black levels. Think this reciever will compliment my new OLED nicely.

post #12 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OLED? I'm so jealous!
I got a Sharp 2015 model, it is THX certified, 70" and I love it.
I've got 3 HK's and 2 Denon's I need to peddle as soon as I figure I can put up with the scammers on Craigslist.

Lloyd
post #13 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
Hmmm..... This thread is deader than last year's mackerel! In the meantime, I guess I'll talk to myself.

Did some changing of the setup of the speakers from the automatic settings. Changed satellites/center to 80Hz, LFE to 120. Bumped Intellisound to +10.

That last really improved the overall sound IMO, especially at lower levels. Color me impressed! One of the issues for me with the sound setup on the various AVRs I've had over the years was that at lower volume levels things just weren't good for my aging ears and my tinnitus doesn't help in that. So the fix was always play it loud!

Now with the Intellisound set the way I have it, at 30db relative everything is there and perceived by me. I like that! I may play with that setting a bit to 'fine tune' it, as well as twiddle the sub setting. +5 on the sub just seems like it would be too high.

In the 2015 owner's thread I've seen some posts about the display and how old school it is. Yes, it is. But how many times are you actually looking at it? That said, the little indicators for odds and ends like audio input codec are completely worthless since they aren't at all 'readable' from any kind of normal sitting position.

Now to SQ. I put the 757 in place of a Harman-Kardon AVR3600. Overall the SQ between the two is different, but both are excellent. The Onkyo does a much better job with dialog than the HK and the Denon I had previously. It is well defined and easy to hear.

The biggest difference is in how the sub works with the two. With Onkyo it seems the bass is more defined, with HK the best description is 'more refined', IOW smoother. To my ears both are excellent with bass, with Onkyo being a better tv/movie AVR compared to the HK being a better music AVR.

Currently I have ARC in use, but it is a bit irritating to have both the AVR and TV volume slider showing up on the screen. Since I'm not using ARC for anything else, and I have a Harmony One, and I have an optical cable from TV to AVR, I think I'll turn that off unless someone can tell me a good reason not to. Both ARC and optical only carry DD I can't see an advantage of one over the other.

I noticed that not only is this thread, or any thread about 2016 Onkyo's are dead here, they don't even have a section in the Onkyo support forums for the 2016s. Odd.

Well its dead becuase its not a denon or yamaha thread which enjoy quite a deep infatuation on AVS.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I know of the love of Denon and Yamaha. Personally I like Denons as they are OK and offer pretty good bang for the buck. Don't care for Yamaha or Sony as I feel both are way too bright for my tastes. My personal favorite was Harman Kardon, but they've left the consumer AVR Market.

I was comparing the lack of posts in this thread compared to the 2015 Owner's thread. There isn't even a 2016 Owner's thread. And I suppose Onkyo's HDMI problems don't help things along either.

This is my second run at Onkyo. Bought one a bit back and returned it because at the time I needed component video from a HDDVD to be upscaled to HDMI and the Onkyo couldn't deal with it properly. Sound was fine though I didn't have it long. I'm very pleased with the 757 and since it has 8 HDMI ports which I'm using, and it supports everything I need it to I've taken the time to do some twiddling with some parameters to 'tune' it in to my preferences.

I was replacing a HK AVR3600 as I said. I finally got it down to the Denon 4200 and the Onkyo 757. The local BestBuy had a 757 and since I'm an Elite Plus member, I get 45 day trials. At this 2nd day with the 757 I'm leaning to keeping it since it does as well as it does. If I were to return it and get the Denon 4200 I would get a refurb as that price is within hitting distance of the 757.

One of the things I'm really liking with the 757 is that dialog is so crisp and understandable at all listening levels. Didn't even have to twiddle anything to get it that way. With HK and Denon I had to twiddle the center level and even then it wasn't as pronounced.

The one thing that I need to twiddle a bit is LFE. My sub seems a little off and I noticed that it is set to +5 with the equalized settings. On other equipment the LFE was never set that high. I'll be playing around with that over the next few days with different source equipment and content. I think on the Q menu I can set the level on a source basis, IOW change it to suit the source so that when I select that source I don't have to twiddle it again. Of course if I'm mistaken on that, the Q menu is easy enough to use it to change things if I need to.

One thing I noticed is that when I select Cable/Sat the front screen shows DialNorm setting but I can't find where that is adjustable. If it is I would appreciate knowing where the control is.

Lloyd
post #15 of 141 Old 07-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Loving the 757 so far. Setup was easy, it's not turning the blacks on my display grey like the pioneer did, and the sound is amazing.

post #16 of 141 Old 07-06-2016, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad to see you got it and like it.

I think the default for video is to pass through, which is not supposed to massage the video. You should also see that pulling up the OSD doesn't overlay the screen as it does on some other AVRs. And the transition from the 720p that the OSD uses back to whatever display resolution is problem free.

Lloyd
post #17 of 141 Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Glad to see you got it and like it.

I think the default for video is to pass through, which is not supposed to massage the video. You should also see that pulling up the OSD doesn't overlay the screen as it does on some other AVRs. And the transition from the 720p that the OSD uses back to whatever display resolution is problem free.

Yeah im loving it, I don't know why the pioneer was doing that to the blacks. It gave every source besides my PS4 a washed out picture. The onkyo everything is back to normal, and like you said the sound is much clearer and clean.

post #18 of 141 Old 07-08-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did some reading about dial norm. Turns out it isn't an adjustable setting and is something passed within the DD and DD+ signal. So I guess what I see flashing is just telling me what it is being set to. Since it isn't adjustable I wonder why it even flashes on the display panel.

Lloyd
post #19 of 141 Old 07-09-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One of the things I noticed with the 757 is that the bass seems less refined than it does on the HK's. I had originally set all the satellites to the 80hz THX standard and the sub to 120hz. So today I decided to twiddle a bit. Set the satellites to 100hz, left the sub setting alone and my perception is tha because the satellites are playing a bit more of the bass, that the overall effect is to refine the bass.

Another thing I noticed in the Onkyo lineup is that for normal home use, the differences between the 656 and 757 are a slight bit more power on the 757, and the THX certification and modes. The other differences would probably be of more interest to the installer market. Of course there is that $100 premium you pay to pick the 757 over the 656.

Lloyd
post #20 of 141 Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My oops! Thinking bass ackwards about crossover for the satellites, set back to the 80hz THX standard.

So this morning I decided to check how well the automatic speaker setup had done its job. Overall it did a very good job.

1. Distances - all spot on with the exception of the subwoofer. It was off about 6"

2. Crossovers - well this was the real oddity of the mix. Each speakers crossover was set to something different, yet each speaker is the same. Not a big deal, and it is something that usually gets a bit screwey with other brands. Set to 80Hz THX standard for all satellites and sub to 120Hz. To be honest, playing my 'test' clip I couldn't actually hear any big differences between what the auto set them for and what my manual settings were set to with the exception of bass 'perception'.

3. Speaker levels - Ran the test tones with a SPL app I got for my ipad. It showed that the levels were all dead on. I manually bumped the SL and SBL levels a little to compensate for my tinnitus in the left ear.

After playing around with this today, and doing some AVR swapping a little previously I've decided that for my use, which is all about TV/Movies, the Onkyo presents itself much better than does either the HK or Denons I have. For purely music, the HKs get the nod, but that isn't something I do very often. The Denons present a more 'flat' soundfield to my ears making it probably the best compromise AVR for a mix of TV/Movies/Music.

Since I have the gear and being retired, plenty of time, I may put one of the HKs back in the mix with the Pioneer Poly Planar speakers I have. One problem would be how to switch the sub between the units.

Lloyd
post #21 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Maybe it's dead because Onkyo burned a lot of people with defective crap for a decade. I've had 3 defective units with hdmi issues myself only two they covered. Most of us learned by now. Matter of fact I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread..
Jacob305, InstantYo and Bahn Yuki like this.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #22 of 141 Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Maybe it's dead because Onkyo burned a lot of people with defective crap for a decade. I've had 3 defective units with hdmi issues myself only two they covered. Most of us learned by now. Matter of fact I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread..

Which was an issue that I read about extensively. Seems overall that Onkyo provided free repairs at some point and even extended it out to 2018, well past any warranty coverage time.

Further reading shows that the newer ones are running cooler, which was a big contributing factor in previous models. My 757 runs fairly cool, no hotter than the HKs and Denons I've had, and it is in an open rack with good airflow.

The problems I read about were what kept me from Onkyo in the past. Of course, once I decide to keep it or not, I will be looking at an extended warranty as I do with most tech gear.

Lloyd
post #23 of 141 Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello everyone. I just got a 555 2 days ago. There is a way to store all of the avr's settings, in case you have to do a reset. This can only be done at the front panel, not with the remote. turn unit on, then push and hold the setup button,then push and release the enter button, display reads setup store?. then push and release the enter button again. display reads setup store,release setup button after display reads complete. To recall settings push and hold setup button, then push and release return button display reads recall settings,then push and release return button, display reads recall settings. Release setup button after display reads complete. Do this anytime you make any changes to avr.
post #24 of 141 Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Which was an issue that I read about extensively. Seems overall that Onkyo provided free repairs at some point and even extended it out to 2018, well past any warranty coverage time
Yea but the problem was they let it drag on for a decade screwing people and only THEN before what I'm sure was to be some kind of class action lawsuit or an attempt to save the reputation of the company they acted to help owners. Some of us with older models with HDMI issues got left out in the cold. One unit still giant very expensive paper weight, two others I had bought they repaired. Anyway Yea I hope they learned from their lesson on how not to build a receiver. I even question that old units used to have serious power and weight behind them, now it seems like every unit weighs in at 25 pounds. But that's a every brand issue really. I'm almost certainly going Denon when I need a new 4k able receiver.
Bahn Yuki likes this.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #25 of 141 Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Anybody know the difference between the TX 757 and RZ 710. The specs look pretty much identical, but the MSRP is $200 different.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #26 of 141 Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cursory glance shows not much, but an extra years warranty.

Go here : http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/pro...urce=globalnav

Select models to get a complete comparison

Lloyd
post #27 of 141 Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well HK made the decision to keep the 757 easier. My 3700 shot craps and they had planned on replacing it. But they don't have any and don't know when more will show up so they refunded my money.

I've got the 757 fine tuned for me and it is working quite well. The Harmony Elite remote likes it too!

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Lloyd
post #28 of 141 Old 10-24-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A little follow up. Had the 757 since 7/2016. Nary a glitch and the performance has been superb!

Lloyd
post #29 of 141 Old 11-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just a heads up, driving the TX-NR555 with a pair of Polk Audio Signature S55's, Polk CS1 center, Polk T15 surrounds and a Velodyne DPS-10 sub without any issues and sounds absolutely glorious!

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
post #30 of 141 Old 11-12-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NR555 - Very Good but Issues with Streaming Services

Enjoying the new NR555. I have not had a chance to do critical listening but it is mainly for home theater and TV watching so it will do. The setup was easy and intuitive. The firmware updated to the latest. The remote control is not overbuilt, only needed functions. The Android App adds alternate way to get at the controls. ARC is working well with my Panasonic GT50 TV, FIOS Service, and Google Cast. The only area where I am seeing problems, likely bugs or undeveloped features (not sure how they can put it out like this), are the Internet Apps:

TuneIn Radio - some of the stations stream fine. When hitting the Info button, I see the signals are coded MP3 or AAC. These include USA Today, NFL on TuneIn, various news stations. However, some of my favorite stations don't come in at all and the message 'Play Error, Cannot Play' shows up when I am tuning to them. These streams include: 91.7 Michigan Radio, 660 WFAN Sport Radio, 93.7 WEEI, 98.5 The Sports Hub.

Spotify - the app comes up but no input works or allows you to log in to engage the app.

Pandora - seems to work well

I have to guess the receiver is not coding some of the streams. I have to admit, that is troubling since the Onkyo brochure for it says it can decode darn near everything at any rate.

Is anyone else having these problems with TuneIn and Spotify?

Last edited by tonyo123; 11-12-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
TX-SR353 , TX-NR555

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page