"Official" Audyssey thread Part II - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44221Likes

post #3631 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 12:03 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
I have a Denon X3300 and recently downloaded the Audyssey MultEQ editor app to my iphone. The write up says that it will enable/disable midrange compensation to make the vocal region brighter or smoother. Would appreciate input on which of the two is the default mode if running Audyssey setup without the app.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Page 293 and 295 of the X4300H's manual says otherwise unless I'm missing something. I'm not a high sample rate high bit guy myself. CD quality is about where I draw my diminishing returns line so this topic isn't much in my wheelhouse. I can read a manual though.
Ahh... I haven't looked at the PDF manual yet, just the online version. Found this page I was thinking of: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4300H/N...SYmnhhjnbb.php

But I see it only says (for MultEQ XT32):

*9 This item cannot be selected when a DTS:X format with a sampling frequency of over 48 kHz is input.

So, in the case of the 4300 (and whatever earlier "family") anyway, there's only a sampling rate limit with DTS:X! I recall seeing something else that only applied to DTS:X as well...

That's cool, but I still assume @garygarrison 's Marantz loses Audyssey because of the high sampling rate?
post #3633 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
I have a Denon X3300 and recently downloaded the Audyssey MultEQ editor app to my iphone. The write up says that it will enable/disable midrange compensation to make the vocal region brighter or smoother. Would appreciate input on which of the two is the default mode if running Audyssey setup without the app.
I believe that's Audyssey Reference .

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR View Post
Ahh... I haven't looked at the PDF manual yet, just the online version. Found this page I was thinking of: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4300H/N...SYmnhhjnbb.php

But I see it only says (for MultEQ XT32):

*9 This item cannot be selected when a DTS:X format with a sampling frequency of over 48 kHz is input.

So, in the case of the 4300 (and whatever earlier "family") anyway, there's only a sampling rate limit with DTS:X! I recall seeing something else that only applied to DTS:X as well...
Ah, ok. I see what you're talking about there.

Quote:
That's cool, but I still assume @garygarrison 's Marantz loses Audyssey because of the high sampling rate?
Common sense would say yes. Must be something with the higher sample rate and DTS that's too much for Audyssey to handle?

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #3635 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Ah, ok. I see what you're talking about there.

Common sense would say yes. Must be something with the higher sample rate and DTS that's too much for Audyssey to handle?
Very odd; Audyssey works fine with 24/192 kHz stereo FLAC files. although I know these files are downsampled in order for Audyssey to work on them.
mogorf likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #3636 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
If running without the app, midrange compensation is on for the reference curve and off for the flat curve.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
rlb likes this.
post #3637 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 08:18 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Quote:
I believe that's Audyssey Reference .
I also believe that's true; but does Audyssey Reference include midrange compensation?

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #3638 of 7078 Old 09-02-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also believe that's true; but does Audyssey Reference include midrange compensation?
Yes it does.
rlb likes this.

post #3639 of 7078 Old 09-04-2017, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I ended up adding +5 db to my base, because Audessey 32 set the base way too low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #3640 of 7078 Old 09-05-2017, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
I ended up adding +5 db to my base, because Audessey 32 set the base way too low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Almost everyone turns up their bass response after running Audyssey, especially people who playback at less than reference level, due to the lower sensitivity of the ears in the bass range at lower volume. Actually, nobody I know of on this thread habitually plays back at reference level itself. Keith and I are apparently champions in this regard, and we tend to play back at 5 dB below reference or lower.

The Harmon people found that most people like a response curve that has the bass higher than the treble. Let Audyssey smooth out the bumps, dips, and kinks in the curve with its hundreds of corrections, then turn up the bass until it reflects your preference (within reason).

See techniques and cautions in Mike's excellent discussion of the subject at "Guide to Subwoofer Levels, Audyssey Setup, and DynamicEQ"
post #3641 of 7078 Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Hey folks, I just installed a completely new system in the living room, 5.1.4, with in-ceiling Canton 880 overheads and Denon 4300H. I ran Audyssey twice it set the Top Front Right speaker at +12 both times, with every other speaker between -1 and -4. When I run the connection test from set-up assistant (which plays music to confirm speakers are connected), the Top Front Right is now noticeably louder than every other speaker.

Any reasons to look for why Audyssey is picking this speaker over the rest to level boost comparatively 12-16 dBs? Something is amiss. I can pull out Omni Mic to if I need to, but probably not until this weekend.
bslep likes this.
post #3642 of 7078 Old 09-06-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 10490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Hey folks, I just installed a completely new system in the living room, 5.1.4, with in-ceiling Canton 880 overheads and Denon 4300H. I ran Audyssey twice it set the Top Front Right speaker at +12 both times, with every other speaker between -1 and -4. When I run the connection test from set-up assistant (which plays music to confirm speakers are connected), the Top Front Right is now noticeably louder than every other speaker.

Any reasons to look for why Audyssey is picking this speaker over the rest to level boost comparatively 12-16 dBs? Something is amiss. I can pull out Omni Mic to if I need to, but probably not until this weekend.
Hi,

My first thought is that the issue is with the speaker rather than Audyssey. Perhaps a tweeter is defective, for instance, or perhaps it needs to be swiveled more toward the MLP. I would probably test whether it is the speaker by changing the connections (reverse wire Top Front Right and Top Front Left) and then rerunning Audyssey to see whether the problem follows the speaker, or remains with that channel.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #3643 of 7078 Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

My first thought is that the issue is with the speaker rather than Audyssey. Perhaps a tweeter is defective, for instance, or perhaps it needs to be swiveled more toward the MLP. I would probably test whether it is the speaker by changing the connections (reverse wire Top Front Right and Top Front Left) and then rerunning Audyssey to see whether the problem follows the speaker, or remains with that channel.

Regards,
Mike
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I reran Audyssey with the new mic and got very similar results. Then I checked the eq "results" and Audyssey is not applying any eq to this speaker above 900hz (unlike every other speaker). So I now strongly suspect the tweeter is not working. I will verify with the swap method like you suggest when I get a chance with a quiet house. So, thanks.
mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.
post #3644 of 7078 Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I reran Audyssey with the new mic and got very similar results. Then I checked the eq "results" and Audyssey is not applying any eq to this speaker above 900hz (unlike every other speaker). So I now strongly suspect the tweeter is not working. I will verify with the swap method like you suggest when I get a chance with a quiet house. So, thanks.

I had a similar thing happening with an in ceiling that turned out to be wired incorrectly. I put red in black and black in....well you get it. In my case I believe Audyssey did tell me that it was a polarity issue and even illustrated that I had it wired wrong. So maybe not your issue - but worth checking?

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #3645 of 7078 Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
G'day folks!

First off, thanks a million for maintaining this thread. It's been very helpful indeed. My last Audyssey calibration was years ago when I bought my previous receiver and the technology has definitely advanced.

So I've bought a new Denon AVR-X1400H to go along with our new 4K TV and 4K Blu-ray player. I ran a standard initial Audyssey calibration using the rocketship stand, ear height for each measurement, but I think I should probably rerun it with better mic positioning. The X1400H has Audyssey MultEQ XT with 8 listening positions, but positions 7 and 8 are intended to be *behind* the main listening position, and because our couch sits against the back wall, that's not possible. I measured 7 and 8 by placing the mic on top of the headrests of the couch, but realized after I'd finished that I shouldn't have done that, either, because you're not supposed to use any positions closer than 12-15 inches to the back wall, or closer than 12-15 to the headrest.

From what I understand in the FAQ, as long as the first listening position is correct, and seven additional measurements all within 2-3 feet of the original position are taken, it doesn't matter where exactly the seven additional ones are taken. Is that correct? What would you folks recommend?

I'm attaching two photos of our living room layout, seen from approximately where the center speaker sits at the front of the room. The rear wall is formed by the fireplace (we never use it, so we placed the couch against that), with two small alcoves on either side that are filled by bookcases. The rear surrounds sit directly to the side of the couch, against each side wall.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 1.jpg (680.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 2.jpg (685.6 KB, 48 views)
post #3646 of 7078 Old 09-08-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
G'day folks!

First off, thanks a million for maintaining this thread. It's been very helpful indeed. My last Audyssey calibration was years ago when I bought my previous receiver and the technology has definitely advanced.

So I've bought a new Denon AVR-X1400H to go along with our new 4K TV and 4K Blu-ray player. I ran a standard initial Audyssey calibration using the rocketship stand, ear height for each measurement, but I think I should probably rerun it with better mic positioning. The X1400H has Audyssey MultEQ XT with 8 listening positions, but positions 7 and 8 are intended to be *behind* the main listening position, and because our couch sits against the back wall, that's not possible. I measured 7 and 8 by placing the mic on top of the headrests of the couch, but realized after I'd finished that I shouldn't have done that, either, because you're not supposed to use any positions closer than 12-15 inches to the back wall, or closer than 12-15 to the headrest.

From what I understand in the FAQ, as long as the first listening position is correct, and seven additional measurements all within 2-3 feet of the original position are taken, it doesn't matter where exactly the seven additional ones are taken. Is that correct? What would you folks recommend?

I'm attaching two photos of our living room layout, seen from approximately where the center speaker sits at the front of the room. The rear wall is formed by the fireplace (we never use it, so we placed the couch against that), with two small alcoves on either side that are filled by bookcases. The rear surrounds sit directly to the side of the couch, against each side wall.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Hi Phil,

I agree with you that, over the years, this thread has been one of the most helpful on the forum. And the "help" torch just keeps being passed on. The first suggestion I would make is to pull your couch forward about 3" and put a 1" or 2" deep acoustic panel over the stone fireplace above the couch. The rough texture of the stone will have a diffusing element to it, but you are still likely to get a lot of mid and high frequency reflections that will present as distortion. Just a small acoustic panel or two, designed to resemble art work, might make a lot of difference in your sound. Having acoustic panels behind the couch would also enable you to get your measurement mic closer to the couch (within about 6") and closer to where your ears will actually be.

You are correct not to put the mic on top of the sofa, and you are also correct that the specific location of your other 7 mic positions doesn't really matter. I would probably try to keep all of my mic positions within a total enclosure pattern of about 24" by 24" if I were you. I would also consider using a boom mic stand, rather than the paper one that came with your AVR. Something like this would work well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One final thought concerns your coffee table. Since it is directly in line with your center channel and with the sound coming from your front speakers, I might consider a soft tablecloth or throw placed over it. That would also reduce the mid and high frequency reflections that can cause audible distortion. Audyssey can be a very effective means of improving sound quality, but particularly for mid and high frequencies, the more help we can give it with our initial set-ups, the more effective it can be.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
garygarrison likes this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #3647 of 7078 Old 09-11-2017, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Mike for the response!

Acoustic panels are probably a no for the same reason that a throw or tablecloth over the coffee table would be a no -- the WAF is too low. She enjoys our home theater when it gives us nice sound and picture, but when it starts interfering with the decor, then she puts her foot down.

I will probably remeasure using eight mic positions that stay near the couch, now that I know the specific position and order doesn't matter as much as keeping them in about a 2" radius from the original measurement spot. I appreciate the confirmation on that. I know a boom mic is better than the rocketship stand, but we do have a camera tripod (my wife is a photography enthusiast) which should be a huge improvement. The rocketship stand was just for a relatively quick initial measurement anyway.

Thanks again!
mthomas47, garygarrison and yanks1 like this.
post #3648 of 7078 Old 09-11-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
Thanks Mike for the response!

Acoustic panels are probably a no for the same reason that a throw or tablecloth over the coffee table would be a no -- the WAF is too low. She enjoys our home theater when it gives us nice sound and picture, but when it starts interfering with the decor, then she puts her foot down.

I will probably remeasure using eight mic positions that stay near the couch, now that I know the specific position and order doesn't matter as much as keeping them in about a 2" radius from the original measurement spot. I appreciate the confirmation on that. I know a boom mic is better than the rocketship stand, but we do have a camera tripod (my wife is a photography enthusiast) which should be a huge improvement. The rocketship stand was just for a relatively quick initial measurement anyway.

Thanks again!
Hi Phil,

You are very welcome! I am glad if I were able to help a little, and please let us know if you need assistance in dialing things in the way you like. I completely understand about the WAF/aesthetic aspect. FWIW, I think that simply having some magazines and books on your coffee table, as you do now, will help to scatter the mid and high-frequency reflections. The worst case scenario, acoustically, would be to have a completely bare, smooth surface.

When I suggested acoustic panels behind the couch, I was actually thinking of something decorative. And, perhaps that could even tie-in with your wife's photography hobby. That part might be worth a try. Here is one company that makes decorative acoustic panels. There are others, and some of them will let you use your own images and just do a digital transfer to the panels you want to order. Even something like three 1' by 1' panels might make a noticeable difference in your sound.

https://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart/acartall-1x1/

Regards,
Mike
HYPURR DBL NKL and Madmax67 like this.

post #3649 of 7078 Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... When I suggested acoustic panels behind the couch, I was actually thinking of something decorative. And, perhaps that could even tie-in with your wife's photography hobby. That part might be worth a try. Here is one company that makes decorative acoustic panels. There are others, and some of them will let you use your own images and just do a digital transfer to the panels you want to order. Even something like three 1' by 1' panels might make a noticeable difference in your sound.

https://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart/acartall-1x1/

Regards,
Mike
Phil,

I would recommend the 2" thick ones [see their graph of the acoustical effect]. Mike's idea of three panels would be very aesthetically appealing. I'm assuming your fireplace is about 7 feet wide. If so, you might be able to fit in three 1' x 2' horizontal panels, which would, obviously, cover a greater area (in the FAQ they say they are open to making custom sizes). An alternative would be to mount two 3' x 2' panels -- oriented horizontally -- with two of her photos side by side with a space between them equal to the space on each end. She could shoot something special for the panels, if she wants. Or, instead of two distinct pictures, each of the panels could provide a view of the same thing, as if through two window panes looking out at a vista. It happens that a 3' x 2' panel has a 1.5:1 aspect ratio, the same as a 35 mm still camera negative (24 mm x 36 mm).

Mike,

Glad you found that website; what a great idea!
mthomas47 and yanks1 like this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 09-12-2017 at 01:44 AM.
post #3650 of 7078 Old 09-12-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Phil,

I would recommend the 2" thick ones [see their graph of the acoustical effect]. Mike's idea of three panels would be very aesthetically appealing. I'm assuming your fireplace is about 7 feet wide. If so, you might be able to fit in three 1' x 2' horizontal panels, which would, obviously, cover a greater area (in the FAQ they say they are open to making custom sizes). An alternative would be to mount two 3' x 2' panels -- oriented horizontally -- with two of her photos side by side with a space between them equal to the space on each end. She could shoot something special for the panels, if she wants. Or, instead of two distinct pictures, each of the panels could provide a view of the same thing, as if through two window panes looking out at a vista. It happens that a 3' x 2' panel has a 1.5:1 aspect ratio, the same as a 35 mm still camera negative (24 mm x 36 mm).

Mike,

Glad you found that website; what a great idea!
Those are good suggestions, Gary! And, thanks for the compliment. But, as with many of the things we suggest to each other, it's not my original idea. That's one of the strengths of a forum like this one, though. Someone has already tried almost everything, and we all borrow ideas from each other.
garygarrison likes this.

post #3651 of 7078 Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Anybody on here have any experience upgrading from an AVR that has Audyssey MultEQ XT to one with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and care to comment on what (if any) improvements it may have had on bass management?

My room is kind of odd-ball. 18'x22', but an "open floor plan" such that the right side of the room has a "back wall" (about 10' long), but then the remaining 12' (left side) "opens" to the kitchen/dinette. The living room is carpeted, but that 12' opening to the kitchen/dinette is hardwood.

My SVS PB-1000 sub makes the room rattle. Namely a picture frame my wife has hung along that "back partial wall" (right side), and the gas fireplace along the front wall (also on the right side). Most rattling/problems I experience seem to emanate from that right side (with the back wall and fireplace), and not the left side (open, even though there are windows along that wall). They don't rattle with every thump; it only happens at certain frequencies.

I did make one minor/half-hearted attempt at some "bass traps" via some "MyBecca" corner traps purchased on Amazon. It didn't help. My ability to heavily treat this room is pretty limited without taking a major hit to my WAF (so it's not gonna happen).

Any opinions/insight on what, if any, help/benefit I might realize by upgrading to XT32 would be greatly appreciated.
post #3652 of 7078 Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Anybody on here have any experience upgrading from an AVR that has Audyssey MultEQ XT to one with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and care to comment on what (if any) improvements it may have had on bass management?

My room is kind of odd-ball. 18'x22', but an "open floor plan" such that the right side of the room has a "back wall" (about 10' long), but then the remaining 12' (left side) "opens" to the kitchen/dinette. The living room is carpeted, but that 12' opening to the kitchen/dinette is hardwood.

My SVS PB-1000 sub makes the room rattle. Namely a picture frame my wife has hung along that "back partial wall" (right side), and the gas fireplace along the front wall (also on the right side). Most rattling/problems I experience seem to emanate from that right side (with the back wall and fireplace), and not the left side (open, even though there are windows along that wall). They don't rattle with every thump; it only happens at certain frequencies.

I did make one minor/half-hearted attempt at some "bass traps" via some "MyBecca" corner traps purchased on Amazon. It didn't help. My ability to heavily treat this room is pretty limited without taking a major hit to my WAF (so it's not gonna happen).

Any opinions/insight on what, if any, help/benefit I might realize by upgrading to XT32 would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

In theory, at least, XT-32 is a superior system with respect to the full frequency range, and especially with respect to bass frequencies, because more EQ resources are concentrated in the bass frequencies. In actual practice, it is difficult to predict how beneficial the difference between XT and XT-32 will be in a particular instance.

But, what you are describing may not be something that you can address with room EQ, and certainly not with bass traps. What I would do, if I were you, is to decouple my sub from the floor, so that the floor won't directly transmit vibrations to other parts of the room. The fact that the rattling only happens at certain frequencies is normal. You could probably make something yourself with several thicknesses of carpet or foam rubber, or if you wanted to buy something, something like this would work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I think that this, or something like it, will solve your problem.

Regards,
Mike
psuKinger and garygarrison like this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 09-13-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Less expensive example
post #3653 of 7078 Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Quote:
Hi,

In theory, at least, XT-32 is a superior system with respect to the full frequency range, and especially with respect to bass frequencies, because more EQ resources are concentrated in the bass frequencies. In actual practice, it is difficult to predict how beneficial the difference between XT and XT-32 will be in a particular instance.

But, what you are describing may not be something that you can address with room EQ, and certainly not with bass traps. What I would do, if I were you, is to decouple my sub from the floor, so that the floor won't directly transmit vibrations to other parts of the room. The fact that the rattling only happens at certain frequencies is normal. You could probably make something yourself with several thicknesses of carpet or foam rubber, or if you wanted to buy something, something like this would work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5H4QO168&psc=1

Regards,
Mike

Mike's suggestion may work, but my biggest solution to rattles was actually a bit lower cost/tech: felt furniture pads. Put one or two on the back of picture frames and it should eliminate rattles.

I also think that Mike is right in that a better version of Audyssey is not going to help with your rattling issue.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #3654 of 7078 Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Regards,
Mike
Nice pro-tip. Thanks so much. I'm gonna look into this.
mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.
post #3655 of 7078 Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Mike's suggestion may work, but my biggest solution to rattles was actually a bit lower cost/tech: felt furniture pads. Put one or two on the back of picture frames and it should eliminate rattles.

I also think that Mike is right in that a better version of Audyssey is not going to help with your rattling issue.
Go ahead and put padding under the sub, as Mike recommended.

As Fred said, for pictures, felt works. So does neoprene -- if the picture is hanging by wire, you would just need two little squares of it near the bottom of the picture.

Be sure to keep both felt and neoprene far, far away from flame or heat. What part of your gas fireplace rattles?

If a door rattles, a tiny neoprene square in the jam to hold it steady by putting slight stress on the bolt usually does the trick.

Some loud sound has great impact at 100 Hz, or so, which is above the usual crossover to the sub.

Please let us know if you still have rattles after trying these strategies.
mthomas47 and fredxr2d2 like this.
post #3656 of 7078 Old 09-14-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I have an X2200W and just upgraded my subwoofer from a crappy Pioneer to an SVS SB-1000. I did a subcrawl to make sure that the location the Pioneer had been in was still good for the SVS. It was. I ran Audyssey (with the gain at 10oclock) and it set the sub level at +1.5. I bumped the gain to 12oclock and reran Audyssey. Now the sub was set to +0.5. With the Pioneer sub in that location (granted it was ported) I would typically get a sub level of -5 or -6.

From everything I've read it seems people don't typically set the gain higher than 12oclock and ideally get a negative level from Audyssey.

The sub sounds good. This is my first quality subwoofer though so good means better than the crap I had before.

I just want to make sure it's ok to run the sub that high. Would there be a benefit of adjusting the gain to 2oclock and rerunning Audyssey? Or any other recommendations of how I should go about setting things up?
post #3657 of 7078 Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
I have an X2200W and just upgraded my subwoofer from a crappy Pioneer to an SVS SB-1000. I did a subcrawl to make sure that the location the Pioneer had been in was still good for the SVS. It was. I ran Audyssey (with the gain at 10oclock) and it set the sub level at +1.5. I bumped the gain to 12oclock and reran Audyssey. Now the sub was set to +0.5. With the Pioneer sub in that location (granted it was ported) I would typically get a sub level of -5 or -6.

From everything I've read it seems people don't typically set the gain higher than 12oclock and ideally get a negative level from Audyssey.

The sub sounds good. This is my first quality subwoofer though so good means better than the crap I had before.

I just want to make sure it's ok to run the sub that high. Would there be a benefit of adjusting the gain to 2oclock and rerunning Audyssey? Or any other recommendations of how I should go about setting things up?
I would increase the sub gain until you get a negative trim in the AVR.

Tim S.

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #3658 of 7078 Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I would increase the sub gain until you get a negative trim in the AVR.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but was worried I'd be pushing the sub too hard.

Should I be aiming for something around -5, or given that I'm only at +0.5 with the gain at 12oclock should I just bump it up to 2oclock and take what I can get?
post #3659 of 7078 Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but was worried I'd be pushing the sub too hard.

Should I be aiming for something around -5, or given that I'm only at +0.5 with the gain at 12oclock should I just bump it up to 2oclock and take what I can get?
SVS subs have dsp limiters on them, so it is very hard to damage them. I would aim for -5 to -6, and, personally, I would boost it to -3 after the calibration, but different people have different bass needs.

Tim S.

post #3660 of 7078 Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
SVS subs have dsp limiters on them, so it is very hard to damage them. I would aim for -5 to -6, and, personally, I would boost it to -3 after the calibration, but different people have different bass needs.
That's good to know. I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page