"Official" Audyssey thread Part II - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44221Likes

post #5221 of 7078 Old 09-07-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 164
^ You should set all the speakers to Small, and the XOs to 80Hz for all speakers (possibly higher for the ceiling speakers, but leave them as-is if >80Hz). This is a good starting position to make sonic judgments. You can most likely just leave it like that too. The app may or may not do a better job. The built-in Audyssey will do a good job, judge using that. When you're comfortable, you can try tuning it with the app. I don't think it's a good idea to "start" with the app.

Edit: since you may be new to the Marantz setup menus, you need to go into the Speakers/Manual Setup menu to make these changes after you run Audyssey. The settings Audyssey determined are perhaps "best case" info on how Audyssey saw your speakers, and how it could make corrections.

You may always use your speakers in a "lesser" way than Audyssey saw them: i.e. choose Small when Audyssey saw Large, choose XO=80Hz when Audyssey saw 40Hz, etc. If you choose to use your speakers in a "greater" way than Audyssey saw them, understand that built-in Audyssey won't correct below the XO freq it determined.
garygarrison likes this.

Last edited by cfraser; 09-07-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 7078 Old 09-07-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
Thanks for the input. This whole system is new top to bottom, and my first Atmos. My last system was 7.1. I finally found the results in the Marantz settings are some things I believe are strange: I set my fronts as small (although they are physically large towers I want my sub doing the low end duty and understand “small” doesn’t mean physically small from Audyssey) but after calibration they were set to large. The crossovers were full range for the fronts, 60 for the surrounds, and 40 for the rear surrounds and heights. I am going to download the app and try it that way.

Unless they have changed their policy, Marantz, not Audyssey, set your fronts to LARGE. AFAIK, most AVRs do this, if the speakers have decent bass response. Audyssey transmits the results to the AVR, and AVR "decides" what to do with that info. As one reviewer (who is a member of this forum -- I hope I remember his comment correctly) put it, it's as though the manufacturers are congratulating you on your speakers ("Excellent choice, sir!"). IMO, it would be far better to help you set up your equipment in the best, data based, way. The CTO and co-founder of Audyssey, Chris K., complained about this to one AVR company, and they indicated they didn't want the customers to feel they had wasted their money on speakers that reached far into the bass. Continue to set your fronts (and all speakers) to SMALL, but do it after you run the Audyssey calibration.

If you haven't already, check these out:
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Aud
yssey FAQ Linked Here

mthomas47, avman09 and coneslayer like this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 09-07-2018 at 05:52 PM.
post #5223 of 7078 Old 09-07-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Unless they have changed their policy, Marantz, not Audyssey, set your fronts to LARGE. AFAIK, most AVRs do this, if the speakers have decent bass response.
I don't think the manufacturers have changed their policy, based on the results I got from running XT32 on my newly purchased Denon x4400; its predecessor (x4000) also wanted some speakers set to LARGE, including my center channel with its 6" woofer. I set the crossover for everything to 80 Hz.

My front mains have decent bass response, but when I tried the crossover for them at 60 Hz for 2-channel playback (which uses the subwoofers), the impact of bass was much less.
garygarrison likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5224 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post
I am having so many newbie problems with my Marantz SR 6011 and a Klipsch speaker setup in my home theater kinda room. I have two rows of seating and the rear row on a 12” riser. I’ve had numerous recommendations of where to do the mic placements using Audyssey and it just seems I’m always lacking midrange and decent punch or clarity with the speakers. Subs seem fine. There isn’t really any sweet spot or MLP due to the two rows of seating. I know my room probably has a lot of acoustic issues but we’re stuck with them. I am a newbie and really wish I had a pro local that could help but I don’t. I’m using a tripod to hold the mic at position. Is it better to not use Audyssey or its DEQ and at Reference or Flat or....
It just seems for the equipment I have it should sound a lot better.. more presence and punch throughout the channels. It seems flat or without punch.
I do go into the settings after I run Audyssey and change all speakers to small and xo at 80 but now wondering if this is smart or sticking with the original Audyssey settings and not going with the THX thing. I did buy the Audyssey app as well but heck I don’t know what I’m going to do with that without any knowledge or expertise.
My equipment is:
Marantz SR6011
Klipsch RF 82 and RC 62 up front
Klipsch RS 42 x 4 for surrounds
HSU VTF2 MK3 x2 for subs

First row is about 10’ from front speakers and second is about 16’

I’ll try to enclose a pic of seating and of channel levels after Audyssey. I just would like to get the best sound for our HT system.

Hi,

I haven't checked on this thread recently, and you may already have solved some of the issues you were having since posting here. But, I do have a few observations to make. First, clarity and punch are two different things. I think that I can offer some suggestions to improve both, but it is important to distinguish between them.

Mid-range clarity would be most evident with dialogue in movies, where you want to be able to hear every vowel and consonant. "Punch", or "slam", are words most people use to describe a tactile sensation created by a percussive mid-bass sound (typically in the 50Hz to 100Hz range). Kick drums, kettle drums, bass guitar chords, and gunshots in movies, would all be examples of percussive mid-bass sounds where we might experience "punch".

To enhance mid-range clarity, the first thing you need to do is to pull your center channel forward so that it is overhanging the subwoofer it sits on by about an inch. You are almost certainly getting some comb-filtering from the top of that subwoofer, as mid and high frequencies are leaving the speaker in a cone shape. You would also probably benefit from some softening influences in the room--perhaps some acoustic panels. If you stand near your front row and clap your hands sharply, I think that you will hear some ringing (also called slap echo). That will interfere with your mid-range and treble clarity.

The next thing to work on is your Audyssey calibration technique. Pick out one chair--presumably in the middle of your first row, as your main listening position (MLP) and then follow the directions shown in the subsection linked below. That will walk you through a process which will enable you to achieve more clarity in your system. Once you have done that, I would encourage you to follow Gary's advice to experiment with turning off DEQ. That may be reducing your clarity, as well, and you can always add back more independent subwoofer boost if you want to. You can also try Audyssey Flat to determine whether you can hear a difference, and whether or not you like it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...rences.html#IB

Once you believe that you have a good Audyssey calibration and have experimented a bit with DEQ off, and with some corresponding subwoofer boosts if necessary, there is a more advanced technique you can try to achieve both better mid-range clarity and more punch. It is called cascading crossovers, and there is a detailed explanation of what it does, and how to implement it, in the subsection linked below.

Chest punch is essentially the product of SPL reproducing percussive mid-bass frequencies with sufficient volume to be felt. Cascading crossovers concentrate more SPL below about 80Hz or so (depending on the crossovers you pick) and it enhances both mid-range clarity and mid-bass punch in the process. I called it a slightly more advanced technique, so I would work on the other things I mentioned first. But, I'm pretty sure that this will help as well.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...nces.html#IIIC

It really wouldn't be a bad idea to read through all of at least Section I and Section III of the Guide. But, the specific subsections I linked for you should provide some immediate assistance. Let us know how things work out.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #5225 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Unless they have changed their policy, Marantz, not Audyssey, set your fronts to LARGE. AFAIK, most AVRs do this, if the speakers have decent bass response. Audyssey transmits the results to the AVR, and AVR "decides" what to do with that info. As one reviewer (who is a member of this forum -- I hope I remember his comment correctly) put it, it's as though the manufacturers are congratulating you on your speakers ("Excellent choice, sir!"). IMO, it would be far better to help you set up your equipment in the best, data based, way. The CTO and co-founder of Audyssey, Chris K., complained about this to one AVR company, and they indicated they didn't want the customers to feel they had wasted their money on speakers that reached far into the bass. Continue to set your fronts (and all speakers) to SMALL, but do it after you run the Audyssey calibration.

If you haven't already, check these out:
Aud
yssey FAQ Linked Here

Hi Gary,

I agree that the way that most AVR's set crossovers is confusing to most new HT owners. But, FWIW, there are a lot of things that we all have to learn about the operation of our audio and video systems, so I tend to treat learning about bass-management and crossovers as just one more thing that most of us need to understand. I also agree that for most audio applications, setting speakers to Small, with at least 80Hz crossovers, is best practice. That idea is expressed throughout the Guide.

But speaking personally, I would not like to have my AVR setting crossovers for me in a way that I wouldn't be able to adjust in almost any form I wanted. The way that virtually all companies (not just Denon/Marantz) chose to implement this may be slightly clumsy, but it at least tells an informed user approximately where the F3 point of a speaker or speaker pair measured. And then, it gives us setting choices.

Chris lobbied against ever being able to set speakers to "Large" if there were subwoofers in an HT system, but I like having those choices. For instance, I don't use subwoofers at all when I listen to music, and I know others with really capable speakers who do the same. So, for music, my speakers are always set to Large, with no subwoofers. I only add in my subwoofers, and bass-manage my speakers with "Small" settings and crossovers, for 5.1 movies.

I know that you also generally prefer having more not fewer choices in our audio systems, so I am really just preaching to the choir here. But, it is so easy for all of us to get caught-up in the HT, bass-management, aspect of our systems, that we forget that not everyone prefers to even use subwoofers for every audio application.

I decided to add that I think it would be very difficult for Audyssey (much less the AVR) to pick the best crossover for a speaker pair. (I remember that Audyssey Pro made recommendations for crossovers, but people often used the second or third choice listed.) That is because the room correction system can't hear the entire audio system, including subwoofers, playing in conjunction. It can only measure the individual components, one-at-a-time. So, the AVR can set an initial crossover, based on the reported F3 point, and its own algorithm, but it's still going to be up to the individual user to determine what sounds and/or measures the best overall.

Regards,
Mike
meegwell and garygarrison like this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 09-09-2018 at 08:33 AM.
post #5226 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 164
^ True, we all want options. But I think our consensus (if I may make it for everybody ) is that we should get away from the marketing-speak and go for the useful and the correct: i.e. instead of having Speaker Size: Small/Large we should have Bass Management: On/Off. I think this would lead to more newbies making the correct decision, because who doesn't want their "bass managed", it at least sounds like a good idea, even if you don't know exactly what it is. Look at all the much more "complicated" decisions they expect AVR/pre-pro users to make...I think they could handle this one.
post #5227 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

Chris lobbied against ever being able to set speakers to "Large" if there were subwoofers in an HT system, but I like having those choices. For instance, I don't use subwoofers at all when I listen to music, and I know others with really capable speakers who do the same. So, for music, my speakers are always set to Large, with no subwoofers. I only add in my subwoofers, and bass-manage my speakers with "Small" settings and crossovers, for 5.1 movies.

I know that you also generally prefer having more not fewer choices in our audio systems, so I am really just preaching to the choir here. But, it is so easy for all of us to get caught-up in the HT, bass-management, aspect of our systems, that we forget that not everyone prefers to even use subwoofers for every audio application.

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike, is there a reason why you do not use the sub for music?
post #5228 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee6 View Post
Hi Mike, is there a reason why you do not use the sub for music?

Hi,

We are really getting into the realm of personal preference when we start talking about this sort of thing. But, for the types of music which I mostly enjoy--classical, jazz, and some world music--I honestly can't improve on the bass sound quality and seamless integration of my six large, sealed, vintage speakers. Without wishing to go into detail, I will say that I have those speakers arranged in a way that maximizes the music performance.

Then, for 5.1 movies, I add in my center channel, which is a very close timbre match, and my large ported subwoofers, and I am ready to rock in a completely different way. Now, I am interested in getting powerful tactile ULF sensations, which are harder to achieve in a large room, on a concrete pad. And, my subwoofers take things to a different level. It took me quite a while to put my room and my system together in the way I wanted them, but I really feel that, for me, I have the best of both worlds with the way I have things arranged.

Regards,
Mike

post #5229 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Hi,

We are really getting into the realm of personal preference when we start talking about this sort of thing. But, for the types of music which I mostly enjoy--classical, jazz, and some world music--I honestly can't improve on the bass sound quality and seamless integration of my six large, sealed, vintage speakers. Without wishing to go into detail, I will say that I have those speakers arranged in a way that maximizes the music performance.

Then, for 5.1 movies, I add in my center channel, which is a very close timbre match, and my large ported subwoofers, and I am ready to rock in a completely different way. Now, I am interested in getting powerful tactile ULF sensations, which are harder to achieve in a large room, on a concrete pad. And, my subwoofers take things to a different level. It took me quite a while to put my room and my system together in the way I wanted them, but I really feel that, for me, I have the best of both worlds with the way I have things arranged.

Regards,
Mike
Nice! Must be sounding great for both music and movies.
mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.
post #5230 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:
I am having so many newbie problems with my Marantz SR 6011 and a Klipsch speaker setup in my home theater kinda room. I have two rows of seating and the rear row on a 12” riser. I’ve had numerous recommendations of where to do the mic placements using Audyssey and it just seems I’m always lacking midrange and decent punch or clarity with the speakers. Subs seem fine. There isn’t really any sweet spot or MLP due to the two rows of seating. I know my room probably has a lot of acoustic issues but we’re stuck with them. I am a newbie and really wish I had a pro local that could help but I don’t. I’m using a tripod to hold the mic at position. Is it better to not use Audyssey or its DEQ and at Reference or Flat or....
It just seems for the equipment I have it should sound a lot better.. more presence and punch throughout the channels. It seems flat or without punch.
I do go into the settings after I run Audyssey and change all speakers to small and xo at 80 but now wondering if this is smart or sticking with the original Audyssey settings and not going with the THX thing. I did buy the Audyssey app as well but heck I don’t know what I’m going to do with that without any knowledge or expertise.
My equipment is:
Marantz SR6011
Klipsch RF 82 and RC 62 up front
Klipsch RS 42 x 4 for surrounds
HSU VTF2 MK3 x2 for subs

First row is about 10’ from front speakers and second is about 16’

I’ll try to enclose a pic of seating and of channel levels after Audyssey. I just would like to get the best sound for our HT system.

Hi,

I haven't checked on this thread recently, and you may already have solved some of the issues you were having since posting here. But, I do have a few observations to make. First, clarity and punch are two different things. I think that I can offer some suggestions to improve both, but it is important to distinguish between them.

Mid-range clarity would be most evident with dialogue in movies, where you want to be able to hear every vowel and consonant. "Punch", or "slam", are words most people use to describe a tactile sensation created by a percussive mid-bass sound (typically in the 50Hz to 100Hz range). Kick drums, kettle drums, bass guitar chords, and gunshots in movies, would all be examples of percussive mid-bass sounds where we might experience "punch".

To enhance mid-range clarity, the first thing you need to do is to pull your center channel forward so that it is overhanging the subwoofer it sits on by about an inch. You are almost certainly getting some comb-filtering from the top of that subwoofer, as mid and high frequencies are leaving the speaker in a cone shape. You would also probably benefit from some softening influences in the room--perhaps some acoustic panels. If you stand near your front row and clap your hands sharply, I think that you will hear some ringing (also called slap echo). That will interfere with your mid-range and treble clarity.

The next thing to work on is your Audyssey calibration technique. Pick out one chair--presumably in the middle of your first row, as your main listening position (MLP) and then follow the directions shown in the subsection linked below. That will walk you through a process which will enable you to achieve more clarity in your system. Once you have done that, I would encourage you to follow Gary's advice to experiment with turning off DEQ. That may be reducing your clarity, as well, and you can always add back more independent subwoofer boost if you want to. You can also try Audyssey Flat to determine whether you can hear a difference, and whether or not you like it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...rences.html#IB

Once you believe that you have a good Audyssey calibration and have experimented a bit with DEQ off, and with some corresponding subwoofer boosts if necessary, there is a more advanced technique you can try to achieve both better mid-range clarity and more punch. It is called cascading crossovers, and there is a detailed explanation of what it does, and how to implement it, in the subsection linked below.

Chest punch is essentially the product of SPL reproducing percussive mid-bass frequencies with sufficient volume to be felt. Cascading crossovers concentrate more SPL below about 80Hz or so (depending on the crossovers you pick) and it enhances both mid-range clarity and mid-bass punch in the process. I called it a slightly more advanced technique, so I would work on the other things I mentioned first. But, I'm pretty sure that this will help as well.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...nces.html#IIIC

It really wouldn't be a bad idea to read through all of at least Section I and Section III of the Guide. But, the specific subsections I linked for you should provide some immediate assistance. Let us know how things work out. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Regards,
Mike

AVS Forum Special Member
Join: Jun 2009
Southeastern Illinois

2 minutes ago · #5230
Mike, thanks for all that info and guidance. My center channel is actually on a wall bracket just above the sub. I have a question concerning your comment on placement. With my space constrictions between both front speakers if I place the sub to either side between the fronts and center could I leave the center as is then without worrying that the sub sits further out or should I use the bracket that it’s sitting on now and just make a couple support legs for the front of a longer shelf to hold it above the sun and a 1” front clearance? I would turn the sub sideways but then you’d see the little green led power light. I enclosed a couple close up and remember the front and center are pretty close to the front seats if that matters and that brings one more question up.. since the space is small and the fronts are close to the first row would it be okay to move the fronts even closer to get close to the front of the center?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	583161CA-1EDB-445C-B603-3E08774E6F44_1536546419712.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	2453432   Click image for larger version

Name:	617DF6EE-F76E-418B-8CC3-CA5F66FBE8E9_1536546439104.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2453434  
mthomas47 likes this.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #5231 of 7078 Old 09-09-2018, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Gary,

I agree that the way that most AVR's set crossovers is confusing to most new HT owners. But, FWIW, there are a lot of things that we all have to learn about the operation of our audio and video systems, so I tend to treat learning about bass-management and crossovers as just one more thing that most of us need to understand. I also agree that for most audio applications, setting speakers to Small, with at least 80Hz crossovers, is best practice. That idea is expressed throughout the Guide.

But speaking personally, I would not like to have my AVR setting crossovers for me in a way that I wouldn't be able to adjust in almost any form I wanted. The way that virtually all companies (not just Denon/Marantz) chose to implement this may be slightly clumsy, but it at least tells an informed user approximately where the F3 point of a speaker or speaker pair measured. And then, it gives us setting choices.

I decided to add that I think it would be very difficult for Audyssey (much less the AVR) to pick the best crossover for a speaker pair. (I remember that Audyssey Pro made recommendations for crossovers, but people often used the second or third choice listed.) That is because the room correction system can't hear the entire audio system, including subwoofers, playing in conjunction. It can only measure the individual components, one-at-a-time. So, the AVR can set an initial crossover, based on the reported F3 point, and its own algorithm, but it's still going to be up to the individual user to determine what sounds and/or measures the best overall.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I agree. You were preaching to at least one choir member, as you know. I want all possible options, but I wish they would use better labeling.

I sometimes play music without the sub, so I, too, need the LARGE setting to be available for those occasions.

Maybe the next generation of Audyssey should add a final step to it's routine -- to "listen" to the subwoofer(s) in concert (pun intended) with each satellite speaker.

I don't want to muddy the waters, so I would think that anyone who feels swamped might want to stop reading here.

As you know, I find that a very few -- three, so far -- moviesbenefit from LARGE, with the subwoofer, using the verboten LFE + Main to send the deep bass channeled to speakers set on LARGE also to the subwoofer. That gives me more impact, and additional bass centered at about 130 Hz, as I remember. The movies involved are all from the magnetic era; I believe the disk mixers went back to the original music, effects and dialog elements (a good thing) but failed to restore the bass the filmmakers habitually pushed into the final mix (in those days, with mag tracks). Those movies need all the bass they can get to sound like they did in the theater. When I tried comparing LARGE/LFE + Main to SMALL on other movies and on music disks over a period of weeks, SMALL had a little more bass detail and clarity.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #5232 of 7078 Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
AVS Forum Special Member
Southeastern Illinois

2 minutes ago · #5230
Mike, thanks for all that info and guidance. My center channel is actually on a wall bracket just above the sub. I have a question concerning your comment on placement. With my space constrictions between both front speakers if I place the sub to either side between the fronts and center could I leave the center as is then without worrying that the sub sits further out or should I use the bracket that it’s sitting on now and just make a couple support legs for the front of a longer shelf to hold it above the sun and a 1” front clearance? I would turn the sub sideways but then you’d see the little green led power light. I enclosed a couple close up and remember the front and center are pretty close to the front seats if that matters and that brings one more question up.. since the space is small and the fronts are close to the first row would it be okay to move the fronts even closer to get close to the front of the center?

Hi Stu,

You are very welcome! I just noticed your signature. I like it!

You have a number of different options with your subwoofer, including laying it on it's side, in the same position that it's in now. If it works well in that location, placing it on it's side won't change anything, except to get it further away from the center channel. I would just pick the option you like best.

As a general rule, I would try to locate the front speakers where they sound the best. Getting the speakers closer to the front of the CC won't make a difference, but getting them further away from the wall might. Experimenting with them pulled a little further away from the wall won't hurt a thing and might increase your overall sound quality. Although most of the sound from a direct-firing speaker is forward, some of the mid-range frequencies, especially, will go through the back of the speaker cabinets and reflect off the wall behind the speakers. Having a little more distance from the wall might actually enhance their sound quality.

Don't worry about getting everything perfect all at once. If you are interested, just give yourself some time to experiment. It took me a while to get my front speakers positioned exactly the way I wanted them--just so far from the wall; just so much toe-in. When I made an improvement in the speaker placements I could hear a subtle change in the sound.

Those incremental improvements add-up, and Audyssey may actually penalize us for poor speaker placement by exacerbating issues that are pre-existing, but which may be below the threshold of audibility to us, or which we simply aren't equipped to notice. The Audyssey microphone will hear things that we can't, and will then try to fix them. So, Audyssey can actually help us to perfect speaker placement, and toe-in, by giving us a harsher sound when they aren't quite right. I hope that makes sense.

Regards,
Mike
garygarrison likes this.

post #5233 of 7078 Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
AVS Forum Special Member
Southeastern Illinois

2 minutes ago · #5230

Hi Stu,

You are very welcome! I just noticed your signature. I like it! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]

You have a number of different options with your subwoofer, including laying it on it's side, in the same position that it's in now. If it works well in that location, placing it on it's side won't change anything, except to get it further away from the center channel. I would just pick the option you like best.

As a general rule, I would try to locate the front speakers where they sound the best. Getting the speakers closer to the front of the CC won't make a difference, but getting them further away from the wall might. Experimenting with them pulled a little further away from the wall won't hurt a thing and might increase your overall sound quality. Although most of the sound from a direct-firing speaker is forward, some of the mid-range frequencies, especially, will go through the back of the speaker cabinets and reflect off the wall behind the speakers. Having a little more distance from the wall might actually enhance their sound quality.

Don't worry about getting everything perfect all at once. If you are interested, just give yourself some time to experiment. It took me a while to get my front speakers positioned exactly the way I wanted them--just so far from the wall; just so much toe-in. When I made an improvement in the speaker placements I could hear a subtle change in the sound.

Those incremental improvements add-up, and Audyssey may actually penalize us for poor speaker placement by exacerbating issues that are pre-existing, but which may be below the threshold of audibility to us, or which we simply aren't equipped to notice. The Audyssey microphone will hear things that we can't, and will then try to fix them. So, Audyssey can actually help us to perfect speaker placement, and toe-in, by giving us a harsher sound when they aren't quite right. I hope that makes sense. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike... it suits me. LOL

So it would be okay to place the sub to either left or right of the center between the sub? I had a thought, the wall that the TV and front speakers are at on the other side is where the stereo equipment is. Could I possibly put the sub behind that wall and not mess things up or would it throw off Audyssey and the sound from it? I do have another same sub but older amp on it since I had to replace one, behind the second row of seating. You said on its side, wouldn’t that take easy from HSU’s idea of down firing?
The front speakers are about where they can be since we got that walkway on the wall going toward the back of the room.

Last edited by StuBerger; 09-10-2018 at 09:15 AM.
post #5234 of 7078 Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So glad I stumbled upon this thread....

After spending some time reading through the plethora of information throughout this thread I decided to give my system a retune using all of the advice contained herein.

I'd just like to give a big thank you to everyone who's contributed in this thread, most especially around how to setup the menu configurations in the post measurement portion of the process.

One of my biggest mistakes was having my mains set incorrectly to large and crossed over at 40Hz. I really never thought it was an issue given the Triton 2s have a built-in, powered sub and are fully capable of "full range" reproduction.

After rerunning the calibration routine I set mains to small and crossed everything over at 80Hz with the exception of my satellites which Audyssey set to 150Hz therefore I left them alone. The end result is a much richer sound from the front stage and much cleaner bass with quite a bit more "pop".

Now I'll need to test it out with a good action movie and see how I like it. I recently picked up Fury UHD which should be wonderful for testing out the new calibration a little more thoroughly.

Receiver - Denon AVRX6400H configured in 7.2.4
Mains: GoldenEar Triton Two / Center: GoldenEar Super Center XL / Surrounds: GoldenEar SuperSat 3 X 4 (surround L/R & BL/BR) / In Ceiling: GoldenEar Invisa HTR 7000 X 4
Subs: Dual SVS PB13 Ultras
Sony VPL-VW285ES / OPPO UDP-203 / Screen Innovations 110" 4K 1.3
post #5235 of 7078 Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:

So it would be okay to place the sub to either left or right of the center between the sub? I had a thought, the wall that the TV and front speakers are at on the other side is where the stereo equipment is. Could I possibly put the sub behind that wall and not mess things up or would it throw off Audyssey and the sound from it? I do have another same sub but older amp on it since I had to replace one, behind the second row of seating. You said on its side, wouldn’t that take easy from HSU’s idea of down firing?
The front speakers are about where they can be since we got that walkway on the wall going toward the back of the room.

I would definitely not put the subwoofer in a different room, but otherwise just put it where you think it looks/sounds the best, whether that's left/right or on its side. The fact that the subwoofer is down-firing won't have any material bearing on its performance, if you lay it on its side. In fact, if you lay it on its side, you may get slightly more boundary gain than you would with it upright. That is often the experience with the down-firing cylinder subs. Just try some different positions to decide where you like it.

post #5236 of 7078 Old 09-10-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I would definitely not put the subwoofer in a different room, but otherwise just put it where you think it looks/sounds the best, whether that's left/right or on its side. The fact that the subwoofer is down-firing won't have any material bearing on its performance, if you lay it on its side. In fact, if you lay it on its side, you may get slightly more boundary gain than you would with it upright. That is often the experience with the down-firing cylinder subs. Just try some different positions to decide where you like it.
Mike, the only way I can see placing the sub is turning it lengthwise on the wall and just cover the led power light with elec tape. When you say lay it on it’s side does that mean I can then have the sub further out than the center because it’s sitting low enough from the bottom of the center speaker? Also, it’s too bad I couldn’t place he sub behind the half wall where the stereo equipment sits. It’s just a separating wall that is open at one end about 3.5 feet. That would be a perfect solution at least for our room and cosmetic value. I tried placing the sub to either left or right from center and it’s still close by a few inches and looks odd and still sits farther out like it has been. The way it is now I’m just going to have to make a longer piece of wood to hold the center
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0D72B9B6-ECEF-482D-BB7B-0C38448D8C82_1536624159443.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2453806   Click image for larger version

Name:	95FF6E44-8D3C-4298-A5A9-53DEA2FD2790_1536624213800.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2453808   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8E79522-003F-45DB-B0AF-0DF2BF30FC6A_1536624228438.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2453810  
garygarrison likes this.

post #5237 of 7078 Old 09-10-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Mike, the only way I can see placing the sub is turning it lengthwise on the wall and just cover the led power light with elec tape. When you say lay it on it’s side does that mean I can then have the sub further out than the center because it’s sitting low enough from the bottom of the center speaker? Also, it’s too bad I couldn’t place he sub behind the half wall where the stereo equipment sits. It’s just a separating wall that is open at one end about 3.5 feet. That would be a perfect solution at least for our room and cosmetic value. I tried placing the sub to either left or right from center and it’s still close by a few inches and looks odd and still sits farther out like it has been. The way it is now I’m just going to have to make a longer piece of wood to hold the center

That might end-up being the best solution. If you put the subwoofer on the other side of that dividing wall, I believe that you will lose a lot of bass. But, nothing says you can't try it, it if you want to.

Yes, if you lay the subwoofer on its side, it will be about 7" lower, and that may be enough. Since the higher frequency sound waves will be leaving the speaker in a cone shape (typically with about a 15 degree vertical dispersion) I believe that the subwoofer might be low enough that sound waves from the CC will hit the carpet in front of the subwoofer and be absorbed. But, that's just speculation.

As with any of these suggestions, you will just have to try them to see how they work, visually and audibly. If you try it, with good calibration technique, and your sound quality and overall clarity improves, then you will know. I would probably try laying the subwoofer on its side before I would go to the trouble of building a longer wood platform, but you may get to that anyway in the end. If you do try laying the sub on its side, I would still rerun Audyssey, following the calibration advice in the subsection of the Guide I linked for you.
garygarrison likes this.

post #5238 of 7078 Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

That might end-up being the best solution. If you put the subwoofer on the other side of that dividing wall, I believe that you will lose a lot of bass. But, nothing says you can't try it, it if you want to.

Yes, if you lay the subwoofer on its side, it will be about 7" lower, and that may be enough. Since the higher frequency sound waves will be leaving the speaker in a cone shape (typically with about a 15 degree vertical dispersion) I believe that the subwoofer might be low enough that sound waves from the CC will hit the carpet in front of the subwoofer and be absorbed. But, that's just speculation.

As with any of these suggestions, you will just have to try them to see how they work, visually and audibly. If you try it, with good calibration technique, and your sound quality and overall clarity improves, then you will know. I would probably try laying the subwoofer on its side before I would go to the trouble of building a longer wood platform, but you may get to that anyway in the end. If you do try laying the sub on its side, I would still rerun Audyssey, following the calibration advice in the subsection of the Guide I linked for you.
I took two more pics.. I set the sub horizontal and pulled the wood shelf forward. I think there should be enough clearance now? One thing I had to do and I hope it’s okay. The shelf was a little wobbly so I took a few rubber floor protectors that was suppose to go on the feet of the theater seating if we had hard floors and put them together and am using them as a kinda shim to keep the center and shelf from wobbling but there resting on the sub. Those subs are heavy and never felt any movement before when they are giving audio. And it’s only about a inch in circumference. Do you think that’s okay because it would be a pain to do something different.
Also, if I have two of the same subs and if I can turn the one that would be behind the dividing wall would I still loose a lot of bass and in bass you mean the mid bass or over all?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A97A8763-3CD3-4DEE-AAC0-28AB6A2E9CEA_1536630426319.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2453870   Click image for larger version

Name:	98DEAF79-ED61-444C-AC4B-D61C7FACCDE5_1536630446086.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2453872  
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by StuBerger; 09-10-2018 at 06:59 PM.
post #5239 of 7078 Old 09-13-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Sorry because I know this has probably already been asked a million times, but can someone tell me how to interpret this? Is this response before or after calibration? Is my center speaker deficient in the low end or is Audyssey cutting the low end?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	2455012  
post #5240 of 7078 Old 09-13-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The shelf was a little wobbly so I took a few rubber floor protectors that was suppose to go on the feet of the theater seating if we had hard floors and put them together and am using them as a kinda shim to keep the center and shelf from wobbling but there resting on the sub. Those subs are heavy and never felt any movement before when they are giving audio. And it’s only about a inch in circumference. Do you think that’s okay because it would be a pain to do something different.
Also, if I have two of the same subs and if I can turn the one that would be behind the dividing wall would I still loose a lot of bass and in bass you mean the mid bass or over all?

RE: your center:
  • There is an old dictum in Hi Fi; I don't know if it is BS. A speaker should not wobble, especially not wobble back and forth in the direction of cone movement. Some of the High End Golden Ears insist on spikes that go through a carpet (if any) and rest on the floor, partly to prevent the speakers from rocking back and forth on the cushion of the rug. My guess is that there would not be an audible effect, but who knows? That a center speaker does not put out a lot of bass, because the earth moving bass goes to the subwoofer, may render this not a problem for your center.
  • IMO, the center should be aimed right at someone sitting in MLP, or if you want to treat all seats equally, see what Mike says in the Guide.

RE: One sub being put behind the dividing wall:

• What is the wall made out of? Is it solid (rigid)? High mass may be better than low. Is it fastened to floor?
  • Is it a "pony wall?" Does it just go up a few feet, or all the way to the ceiling? I assume there is a gap somewhere, but a sketch might help us visualize how the bass from the second sub would get into the room. I apologize if you have already posted a sketch.
  • You could always try the second sub both behind the wall v.s. and out in the main room, and see what happens. I would think it would not be advisable, but when in doubt, be empirical. Take notes. Use your ears and a meter, both from the Main Listening Position. I'd use both music and a series of test tones from maybe 16 Hz on up to above both the regular crossover and the LPF for LFE. If you have REW and a calibrated mic, that sweep will work. If not, a test disc with tones along with a cheap meter will be O.K. You are merely comparing the overall effect of two positions of the second sub in combination with the first sub from the MLP, not trying to determine the actual "absolute" smoothness of the subs. You could make three graphs, overlayed:
  1. a sub behind the wall, with one out front,
  2. both subs out in front.
  3. a single sub out front.
You will see how they track, and whether there are any dips or peaks that vanish with any given position.

Pay attention to any other differences. Does one configuration have more "punch" or sound "deeper?"

I guess you should run all these tests with Audyssey OFF, because the Audyssey curve you have now favors one of the three set-ups, right? After you determine the best place for each subwoofer, you can run Audyssey anew. See Mike's guide for how to fine tune (increase) bass response after running Audyssey.

Best of luck!
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 09-13-2018 at 04:25 PM.
post #5241 of 7078 Old 09-13-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

The shelf was a little wobbly so I took a few rubber floor protectors that was suppose to go on the feet of the theater seating if we had hard floors and put them together and am using them as a kinda shim to keep the center and shelf from wobbling but there resting on the sub. Those subs are heavy and never felt any movement before when they are giving audio. And it’s only about a inch in circumference. Do you think that’s okay because it would be a pain to do something different.

RE: your center:
  • There is an old dictum in Hi Fi; I don't know if it is BS. A speaker should not wobble, especially not wobble back and forth in the direction of cone movement. Some of the High End Golden Ears insist on spikes that go through a carpet (if any) and rest on the floor, partly to prevent the speakers from rocking back and forth on the cushion of the rug. My guess is that there would not be an audible effect, but who knows? That a center speaker does not put out a lot of bass, because the earth moving bass goes to the subwoofer, may render this not a problem for your center.
  • IMO, the center should be aimed right at someone sitting in MLP, or if you want to treat all seats equally, see what Mike says in the Guide.

RE: One sub being put behind the dividing wall:

• What is the wall made out of? Is it solid (rigid)? High mass may be better than low. Is it fastened to floor?
  • Is it a "pony wall?" Does it just go up a few feet, or all the way to the ceiling? I assume there is a gap somewhere, but a sketch might help us visualize how the bass from the second sub would get into the room. I apologize if you have already posted a sketch.
  • You could always try the second sub both behind the wall v.s. and out in the main room, and see what happens. I would think it would not be advisable, but when in doubt, be empirical. Take notes. Use your ears and a meter, both from the Main Listening Position. I'd use both music and a series of test tones from maybe 16 Hz on up to above both the regular crossover and the LPF for LFE. If you have REW and a calibrated mic, that sweep will work. If not, a test disc with tones along with a cheap meter will be O.K. You are merely comparing the overall effect of two positions of the second sub in combination with the first sub from the MLP, not trying to determine the actual "absolute" smoothness of the subs. You could make three graphs, overlayed:
  1. a sub behind the wall, with one out front,
  2. both subs out in front.
  3. a single sub out front.
You will see how they track, and whether there are any dips or peaks that vanish with any given position.

Pay attention to any other differences. Does one configuration have more "punch" or sound "deeper?"

Best of luck!
Well, I’m going to try and have the sub up front sit parallel with the wall and I’m having a heavy duty pair of brackets made and going to paint them black. That will hold the center firmly and won’t have to support it like I did using the sub. I’ll leave the other sub behind the secretary nd row. I take the it from the few posts back the center is fine sitting over the sub as long as sitting at least a inch past the sub and shelf correct?
The wall that has the opening which is about 3’ opening is made of studs, 5/8 plywood on each side and then 1/2” drywall.
I do have the center aiming at ear level first row center. What guide are your talking about?

post #5242 of 7078 Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
Sorry because I know this has probably already been asked a million times, but can someone tell me how to interpret this? Is this response before or after calibration?
Neither. It is the correction being applied by Audyssey.

Quote:
Is my center speaker deficient in the low end or is Audyssey cutting the low end?
It is rolling off the bass end. Probably because of bass management.
legierk and garygarrison like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5243 of 7078 Old 09-13-2018, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
What THX thing?

Your AVR accepts info from Audyssey then makes recommendations based on the AVR manufacturer's point of view, not necessarily Audyssey's. If it was recommended that any speaker be set for "Large," it would probably be best to ignore that. The Audyssey people are dead set against any speaker being set to "Large."

Try using Audyssey FLAT, rather than Audyssey when you play movies or music. You don't need to re-run the calibration, just switch back and forth between Audyssey and Audyssey Flat on the screen. Plain old Audyssey (often the default choice), AKA Audyssey Reference, puts a very slight dip in the midrange, and rolls off the highs a bit. Audyssey FLAT does neither. Using Audyssey Flat should increase the clarity and the midrange.

If you are using DEQ, you may want to try switching it out. Some of us think it can muddy up the sound. If you turn DEQ off, the tone controls become available to you. Unfortunately, they only affect the Front Left and Front Right speakers, but I find them helpful anyway. Most people here turn up their subwoofer a bit. The sub trim in the AVR should be at or below - 5 or the line driver on the AVR's sub output might overload and cause distortion, so for added "punch" turn up the sub at the gain knob that is on the sub itself, and turn up the bass tone control for your LF & RF speakers.

You may have done all of the following already. Try to "toe-in" your Front Left and Front Right speakers a little more so that they are aimed at the center seats, not aimed so nearly straight ahead. Aim the center channel speaker at the center of the seating area, and perhaps tilt it up a little so people can look down the throat of the mid/tweeter horn.

Maximum clarity is most likely when all regular speakers are set for "Small" in the AVR, regardless of what size they really are, and the main crossover for the sub(s) is set for 80 Hz.
Some extra clarity might be had if the LPF for LFE in the AVR is set for 80 rather than the 120 Hz that is usually recommended. I really didn't want to do this, so I resisted it for a period of years. Since a respected manufacturer of subwoofers, and some people here on the forum recommended it, I tried switching back and forth for a couple of months, and guess what, more clarity in the 80 Hz position!

Check to see if all your speakers are wired for the same polarity ("in phase"). The speaker cable should be marked in some way so you can put + to + and - to - at both ends of each cable, and have the same polarity for all speakers. If you have a test disk, double check it with that.

Read these; they are clearer than any manual since life was simple, technology did not double cross us, and 2 channels were a lot.

Aud
yssey FAQ Linked Here

Wow. Just tried all of these tips.....immediately noticed a huge difference in clarity (watching TV). Been battling a "muddy", 100-200hz thickness that makes dialogue difficult sometimes. Thanks!
mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.
post #5244 of 7078 Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... I’m having a heavy duty pair of brackets made and going to paint them black. That will hold the center firmly and won’t have to support it like I did using the sub. I’ll leave the other sub behind the secretary nd row. I take the it from the few posts back the center is fine sitting over the sub as long as sitting at least a inch past the sub and shelf correct?
The wall that has the opening which is about 3’ opening is made of studs, 5/8 plywood on each side and then 1/2” drywall.
I do have the center aiming at ear level first row center. What guide are your talking about?
Home Depot probably has some ready made brackets that are very heavy duty. Painting them black is an excellent idea.

I believe 1" forward of the sub is fine for your center. Don't use drywall screws -- go well into one layer of plywood.

This is Mike's Guide:
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 09-14-2018 at 12:38 AM.
post #5245 of 7078 Old 09-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Audyssey editor app info?

So I recently downloaded the editor app on my phone, and I've been playing with it. From what i can tell there really isn't any "Instructions" or any kind of tips or a tutorial anywhere? I know and understand the different aspects of it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to save different settings. Can I use one measurement and save several different settings from that one measurement? For instance, I'd like to have one saved that EQ's from 20-20,000 and one saved that only EQ's below 500 etc. Is that possible or would I have to do a whole new measurement in order to save different ones? Also, once I name a measurement, can I go in and change the name? Thanks for any help.
post #5246 of 7078 Old 09-14-2018, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post
So I recently downloaded the editor app on my phone, and I've been playing with it. From what i can tell there really isn't any "Instructions" or any kind of tips or a tutorial anywhere? I know and understand the different aspects of it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to save different settings. Can I use one measurement and save several different settings from that one measurement? For instance, I'd like to have one saved that EQ's from 20-20,000 and one saved that only EQ's below 500 etc. Is that possible or would I have to do a whole new measurement in order to save different ones? Also, once I name a measurement, can I go in and change the name? Thanks for any help.

If you click the Edit button in the upper right corner of the home page, where the file is saved, you can select a file and then click a button in the upper left. This button in the upper left looks a bit like two overlapping pages. Clicking this will duplicate your original file. If you then click Edit and double click on the copy, you will be able to rename the copy. Let me know if this is clear enough. If not I can put up some screen shots.

Ed... I so value the resources and knowledge of AVSForum!
LG C8, Denon AVR-X4500H, Apple 4K TV, Sony UBP-X1000ES, 7.1.2 audio, (speakers = LCR-750 MKII for LCR with K-4 surrounds, V8 Movie sub, M&K K-7 rear surrounds, ELAC Debut 2.0 for FH)
post #5247 of 7078 Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erudolph View Post
If you click the Edit button in the upper right corner of the home page, where the file is saved, you can select a file and then click a button in the upper left. This button in the upper left looks a bit like two overlapping pages. Clicking this will duplicate your original file. If you then click Edit and double click on the copy, you will be able to rename the copy. Let me know if this is clear enough. If not I can put up some screen shots.
Yes! I think I have it down now. I appreciate the reply. On another note, what have most people been doing as far as what frequency for Audyssey to EQ up to? I had read somehwere to try up to 500 and allow the rest to stay as is and let your speakers keep their sound as intended by the manufacturer. I have copied my original audyysey reading and now have 4 saved. I have one from 20-20 with the Midrange comp on, one with it off. Then I have two the same way, but they are both 500 and below only. I've been switching back and forth, and I think I'm liking the below 500 with the Midrange compensation turned off. Keep in mind that most of my watching is of Bluray concerts with some movies sprinkled in.
I'm curious to know what other members have tried and what the results were.
post #5248 of 7078 Old 09-15-2018, 08:06 PM

I’ve found another thing that I can’t figure out how to edit. I like to lower all of my surround channels by about 2db after running audyssey. Every time I load one of my saved setting it reverts back to the original settings and I have to go back in manually with the remote and change them all. I see that there is a page in the app to adjust these settings, but when I try, I can only delete the current setting and I can’t raise or lower it. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated! I’ve included a screen shot of the page.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	49111FE1-45F8-415D-A8DA-D866E90ED947_1537067161092.png
Views:	26
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2455792  
post #5249 of 7078 Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
I’ve found another thing that I can’t figure out how to edit. I like to lower all of my surround channels by about 2db after running audyssey. Every time I load one of my saved setting it reverts back to the original settings and I have to go back in manually with the remote and change them all. I see that there is a page in the app to adjust these settings, but when I try, I can only delete the current setting and I can’t raise or lower it. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated! I’ve included a screen shot of the page.

Hi,

If I were you, I would post your question on the thread linked below. Perhaps someone there knows if there is a way to save those settings:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-pre-pros.html

Approaching the issue from another direction, I would assume that you have DEQ engaged. Audyssey defaults to the Audyssey Reference curve, which has mid-range compensation, and to DEQ whenever a calibration is run. Among other things DEQ boosts the surround channels--by 1db for each -5 MV (master volume).

Rather than manually adjusting your surround channels to defeat what DEQ is doing, you might want to experiment with turning DEQ off, or with using one of the RLO (reference level offset) settings. Those options are available in the Audyssey portion of your Audio menu. If you do try turning DEQ off, or using one of the RLO settings (which will have the effect of attenuating DEQ), then you might find that you need to add some subwoofer boost to compensate for that.

If you want to understand more about how DEQ (and its RLO settings) work, there is a thorough explanation of both here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...erences.html#V

Regards,
Mike
jj-34, smfins and garygarrison like this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 09-16-2018 at 05:54 AM.
post #5250 of 7078 Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Yes! I think I have it down now. I appreciate the reply. On another note, what have most people been doing as far as what frequency for Audyssey to EQ up to? I had read somehwere to try up to 500 and allow the rest to stay as is and let your speakers keep their sound as intended by the manufacturer. I have copied my original audyysey reading and now have 4 saved. I have one from 20-20 with the Midrange comp on, one with it off. Then I have two the same way, but they are both 500 and below only. I've been switching back and forth, and I think I'm liking the below 500 with the Midrange compensation turned off. Keep in mind that most of my watching is of Bluray concerts with some movies sprinkled in.
I'm curious to know what other members have tried and what the results were.
I have tried just audy below 500hz but decided to keep at 20-20. Reason is I want mid-range compensation on, reference curve to roll of at 10Khz as I'm averse to bright sounding equipment. And I also find that I get better phantom center and instruments localization with full audy. With refernce curve and DEQ RLO ar 5dB is the sweet spot of a good sound for 2 channels for me. Movie no doubt should stay at 20-20 as I believe the cohesion between all speakers will be better with full audy.
smfins and garygarrison like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page