"Official" Audyssey thread Part II - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44220Likes

post #5551 of 7078 Old 11-14-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 4061
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
I think Chris K. said it was 9 dB, as far as boost is concerned, with a bigger cut also available.

So are you saying Audyssey has a function that causes it to do nothing if response in a given part of the frequency spectrum is too far off, i.e., more than can be corrected for, rather than providing a partial correction, such as the 9 dB boost limit?

I know it won't provide compensation below the F3 in the bass, but is that true at the high end too? But not in the middle?

It seems to be ear to the tweeter time. He should use an old paper towel tube if the signal is too faint. The test noise in an AVR is not suitable, because most of them are band limited to 500 to 2K. Music with a lot of treble, or unlimited pink or white noise would be O.K., but keep the volume down to avoid blowing out the tweeter, if it is working.
It's been a couple years, but yeah, that's the way I remember it when I blew a tweeter. Audyssey did nothing above the crossover. It's an easy enough experiment, disconnect the tweeter, run Audyssey, and see what happens.
garygarrison likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 7078 Old 11-14-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Hey Audyssey guru’s....

I have a 5.1 disc from OmniMic, to check my subs audyssey response run the sweeps without dynamic eq ???

Is that it ?
Pretty much. You can run both with and without dynamic EQ so you can see the difference. You measure LFE channel separately, or measurement the main channels with sub included via bass management to see how well things integrate at the crossover.
Cool, i’ll check that out. Anything else i can check

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 11-14-2018 at 05:46 PM.
post #5553 of 7078 Old 11-14-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Anyone know what the audible threshold is when running Audyssey (XT32) is without disrupting the chirps? I've never gotten an warnings.

I have an open floor plan and never realized how loud my fridge is. A constant humming/buzzing sound and it's about 35-40dB when I'm testing the MLP. There also seems to be a car driving by every time it gets to my subwoofer, argh. Loud swoosh sound as it drives by. The world is against me!

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5554 of 7078 Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Hallelujah!

Now, do you remember any time when you really blasted the music, or pulled out a RCA plug, or turned up a test disk, or otherwise ran a very loud sound through the speakers that took out those tweeters? If you recall such a time, whatever it was, don't do that!

The sensitivity of the RC 70 is on the low side at 87.5 dB and Energy recommends 250 watt maximum amplifier power. It would take all of that to reach the brief peak Reference level of 105 dB at 3 meters from the speaker in an average room, if my calculations are correct. I'd think it would be safest to keep the volume at a somewhat lower level, to protect your tweeters. Most people do run movies and music at a lower level; I get the impression that most on the forum keep their peaks to about 95 dB, 10 dB below reference, or somewhere around 25 watts, in your case.
Thanks for the help.

I don't remember when they were blown on, but how sound now I can tell you that maybe we're long time ago, what difference my friend.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jsgrise, mogorf and garygarrison like this.
post #5555 of 7078 Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 10489
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Anyone know what the audible threshold is when running Audyssey (XT32) is without disrupting the chirps? I've never gotten an warnings.

I have an open floor plan and never realized how loud my fridge is. A constant humming/buzzing sound and it's about 35-40dB when I'm testing the MLP. There also seems to be a car driving by every time it gets to my subwoofer, argh. Loud swoosh sound as it drives by. The world is against me!

Hi,

I have never heard anyone cite a specific threshold, but noise floors in rooms probably range from about 35db to as high as 45 or 50db, so I suspect that the threshold is pretty high. There has always been some disagreement about whether it is better to turn everything in a room off, such as the HVAC system, or a refrigerator, or whatever, or to just calibrate with the room as it would normally be during playback. Personally, I have tried it both ways and felt that the audible differences were too insignificant to notice. So, I typically allow the noise floor in my room, which is already fairly low, to be whatever it is. YMMV, but I suspect that it is more a matter of personal degrees of OCD than it is a matter of tangible audible differences.

The issue of cars driving by at inopportune moments is a little different, because that represents a momentary (or longer) change in the normal noise floor. The loud "swoosh" sound as a car drives by may be at too high a frequency to affect your subwoofers. If a loud truck slowly rumbled by, I think that I would want to stop and repeat the process. My own OCD would probably require at least that much. In practical terms, though, the earlier discussion of clustering and centroids is applicable to this situation as well.

It takes some time to move microphones between each of the calibration positions. So, it's unlikely that a random noise would persist for more than one mic position. And, some random sound during a single mic position, which isn't even loud enough to make Audyssey stop the test, is probably not going to make any difference in the final result. That is because the fuzzy-weighted averaging is going to treat that specific ping as an outlier anyway, if it even changes the overall frequency response to start with, and is not going to give it any weight. Instead, it's going to average based on more uniform clusters. That's not an ironclad guarantee, but I think its a reasonable conclusion.

I think that microphone positions can matter, and once we find a good calibration pattern, it's a good idea to stick with it. But, exactitude to the millimeter is probably a little over the top, as is an excessive focus on the noise floor, and on random short-term noises during calibration. It's certainly a YMMV question, which people can test for themselves either by listening, or by measuring. But, I suspect that the calibration process is actually a little more flexible, and more forgiving, than some of us who are implementing it.

Regards,
Mike
pbz06 and garygarrison like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-15-2018 at 07:11 AM.
post #5556 of 7078 Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I have never heard anyone cite a specific threshold, but noise floors in rooms probably range from about 35db to as high as 45 or 50db, so I suspect that the threshold is pretty high. There has always been some disagreement about whether it is better to turn everything in a room off, such as the HVAC system, or a refrigerator, or whatever, or to just calibrate with the room as it would normally be during playback. Personally, I have tried it both ways and felt that the audible differences were too insignificant to notice. So, I typically allow the noise floor in my room, which is already fairly low, to be whatever it is. YMMV, but I suspect that it is more a matter of personal degrees of OCD than it is a matter of tangible audible differences.

The issue of cars driving by at inopportune moments is a little different, because that represents a momentary (or longer) change in the normal noise floor. The loud "swoosh" sound as a car drives by may be at too high a frequency to affect your subwoofers. If a loud truck slowly rumbled by, I think that I would want to stop and repeat the process. My own OCD would probably require at least that much. In practical terms, though, the earlier discussion of clustering and centroids is applicable to this situation as well.

It takes some time to move microphones between each of the calibration positions. So, it's unlikely that a random noise would persist for more than one mic position. And, some random sound during a single mic position, which isn't even loud enough to make Audyssey stop the test, is probably not going to make any difference in the final result. That is because the fuzzy-weighted averaging is going to treat that specific ping as an outlier anyway, if it even changes the overall frequency response to start with, and is not going to give it any weight. Instead, it's going to average based on more uniform clusters. That's not an ironclad guarantee, but I think its a reasonable conclusion.

I think that microphone positions can matter, and once we find a good calibration pattern, it's a good idea to stick with it. But, exactitude to the millimeter is probably a little over the top, as is an excessive focus on the noise floor, and on random short-term noises during calibration. It's certainly a YMMV question, which people can test for themselves either by listening, or by measuring. But, I suspect that the calibration process is actually a little more flexible, and more forgiving, than some of us who are implementing it.

Regards,
Mike

I've heard that the noise floor of a concert hall or theater hovers around 30 dB. Quite fortunately, my SPL meter only reads down to 50 dB.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #5557 of 7078 Old 11-16-2018, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
"Official" Audyssey thread Part II

my HT noise floor is about 30db, target for HT is around 24db in my memory .

If I’m in open first floor family room I’ve simple turned off items when running Audyssey...
hvac, fridge, etc. just 15 minutes no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garygarrison likes this.
post #5558 of 7078 Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I'm revisiting my (MultiXT32) Dynamic EQ settings vs speakers trims, as the surrounds sometimes sound too loud...can someone give me a rough guide to how much DEQ boosts the surrounds? CUrrently using a DEQ ORL of -10. I presume the DEQ surround (and subwoofer) boost changes with MV level (.i.e becoming zero at MV -10, but rising as master volume is lowered below that).? I'm interested in what the maximum surround channel level boost is, and if known, what its rate of change is.
post #5559 of 7078 Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Hard to answer without measuring the system, but you are correct about the way it works.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #5560 of 7078 Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it OK if I adjust my speaker distance after Audyssey?

I've been testing around a ton, and it got it correct every time, but now that I ran it for reals, it had my front Left speaker at 7' instead of 10.5'.

post #5561 of 7078 Old 11-17-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post
I'm revisiting my (MultiXT32) Dynamic EQ settings vs speakers trims, as the surrounds sometimes sound too loud...can someone give me a rough guide to how much DEQ boosts the surrounds? CUrrently using a DEQ ORL of -10. I presume the DEQ surround (and subwoofer) boost changes with MV level (.i.e becoming zero at MV -10, but rising as master volume is lowered below that).? I'm interested in what the maximum surround channel level boost is, and if known, what its rate of change is.
Quote:
Is it OK if I adjust my speaker distance after Audyssey?

I've been testing around a ton, and it got it correct every time, but now that I ran it for reals, it had my front Left speaker at 7' instead of 10.5'.

Hi,

* With respect to the questions about DEQ, there is an in-depth discussion of how DEQ works, linked below:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...rences.html#VA

* With respect to the distance setting for the FL speaker, I'm surprised that Audyssey didn't get that right. It usually does. But, if you want to change the distance setting, either because the actual distance is different from the setting, or because things sound unbalanced to you, there is nothing wrong with doing that. Changing levels, distances, crossovers, or turning-off DEQ, using Flat, etc., won't affect the room EQ that Audyssey performed.

Regards,
Mike
garygarrison likes this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #5562 of 7078 Old 11-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure. Will MultEQ XT32 dynamically use dual subs? It's been a couple years since I was deep into the setup of my HT. I'm troubleshooting a potential issue with one of my SVS subs (in the back of my setup), and want to make sure that signals only get sent to the rear if the media source/Audyssey setup config would call for it. It seems like more times than not, especially lately, my rear sub is in standby.

I have a splitter on the RCA wall plate to feed a plate amp for my couch's bass shakers, and the other half of the splitter feeds the SVS. The SVS X-over is set wide open, but I can't get it to come out of standby despite the bass shakers rumbling.

Denon X6200W | Klipsch RP-450CA Center | Klipsch RP-280FA Towers | Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos Heights | Klipsch RP-240S Surrounds | 2 x SVS PB2000 | Epson 5030 | Oppo BDP-103
post #5563 of 7078 Old 11-18-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 361
^^Audyssey crosses over the signal to your sub at whatever frequency you choose. If the sub is staying in standby, either the incoming sub signal is too low in level to trigger the sub into ON or there is something wrong with the sub. Try contacting SVS--their support was excellent when I owned their EQ device.
kars85 likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #5564 of 7078 Old 11-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
^^Audyssey crosses over the signal to your sub at whatever frequency you choose. If the sub is staying in standby, either the incoming sub signal is too low in level to trigger the sub into ON or there is something wrong with the sub. Try contacting SVS--their support was excellent when I owned their EQ device.

I can't remember if my Audyssey setup had a separate test tone for the second sub preout, I was 99.9% sure it did. Sounds like I'll be giving SVS a call.

I wish there were a way to run a test sweep/tone through a designated speaker through the Denon menu - unless I missed it?

Denon X6200W | Klipsch RP-450CA Center | Klipsch RP-280FA Towers | Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos Heights | Klipsch RP-240S Surrounds | 2 x SVS PB2000 | Epson 5030 | Oppo BDP-103
post #5565 of 7078 Old 11-18-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kars85 View Post
I can't remember if my Audyssey setup had a separate test tone for the second sub preout, I was 99.9% sure it did. Sounds like I'll be giving SVS a call.

I wish there were a way to run a test sweep/tone through a designated speaker through the Denon menu - unless I missed it?
If your AVR has 2 pre-outs, you should be able to navigate into the settings and find the internal test tones which should have a subwoofer 1 and 2 (and 1+2).

With XT32, the first position will set the delay and level match separately for each sub individually, but the next 7 positions will be run as 1 subwoofer.

post #5566 of 7078 Old 11-18-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
If your AVR has 2 pre-outs, you should be able to navigate into the settings and find the internal test tones which should have a subwoofer 1 and 2 (and 1+2).

With XT32, the first position will set the delay and level match separately for each sub individually, but the next 7 positions will be run as 1 subwoofer.
Small addition to the above: The AVR's internal test tones bypass Audyssey, which does not prevent you from checking what you want to look for.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #5567 of 7078 Old 11-18-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I have a large mixture of DTS:X and Atmos discs. From everything I've read, you want to use F/R Heights on DTS:X and F/R Tops on Atmos. Same positions, just called different things.

It seems Audyssey will only store one calibration with these settings at a time. My current calibration is setup with Tops. So, that works great for Atmos, but not so great for DTS:X. I've been told when I change my current Audyssey Calibration that has them as Tops - to Heights - this either turns off Audyssey or something else negative occurs.

So..I'm using the app...why don't I just run one calibration with my ceiling speakers as Tops and call it Atmos Tops - and another with my ceiling speakers as Heights, and call it DTS:X Heights. I can save them both on my app, and then load the one I want to use depending on the content I'm watching.

Anything wrong with that? Or do I have an assumption wrong or a step out of place?
post #5568 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I have a large mixture of DTS:X and Atmos discs. From everything I've read, you want to use F/R Heights on DTS:X and F/R Tops on Atmos. Same positions, just called different things.

It seems Audyssey will only store one calibration with these settings at a time. My current calibration is setup with Tops. So, that works great for Atmos, but not so great for DTS:X. I've been told when I change my current Audyssey Calibration that has them as Tops - to Heights - this either turns off Audyssey or something else negative occurs.

So..I'm using the app...why don't I just run one calibration with my ceiling speakers as Tops and call it Atmos Tops - and another with my ceiling speakers as Heights, and call it DTS:X Heights. I can save them both on my app, and then load the one I want to use depending on the content I'm watching.

Anything wrong with that? Or do I have an assumption wrong or a step out of place?
I thought I read that Atmos will work correctly setting them to Heights and that will also allow DTS:X to work properly. Using Tops works for Atmos but not ideal for DTS:X as you said. Have you tried the Height configuration with Atmos tracks to compare to how they sounded with Tops? I haven't finished my installation but my research notes were to set the in ceiling speakers as Heights for this purpose. I could be wrong.
post #5569 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsv510 View Post
I thought I read that Atmos will work correctly setting them to Heights and that will also allow DTS:X to work properly. Using Tops works for Atmos but not ideal for DTS:X as you said. Have you tried the Height configuration with Atmos tracks to compare to how they sounded with Tops? I haven't finished my installation but my research notes were to set the in ceiling speakers as Heights for this purpose. I could be wrong.
No you're correct. My question surrounds the fact that once I have a loaded Audyssey calibration where I've set them at Tops....what does changing them to heights do since they weren't calibrated that way with Audyssey?
post #5570 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6396 Post(s)
Liked: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by kars85 View Post
I think I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure. Will MultEQ XT32 dynamically use dual subs? It's been a couple years since I was deep into the setup of my HT. I'm troubleshooting a potential issue with one of my SVS subs (in the back of my setup), and want to make sure that signals only get sent to the rear if the media source/Audyssey setup config would call for it. It seems like more times than not, especially lately, my rear sub is in standby.

I have a splitter on the RCA wall plate to feed a plate amp for my couch's bass shakers, and the other half of the splitter feeds the SVS. The SVS X-over is set wide open, but I can't get it to come out of standby despite the bass shakers rumbling.

If by "dynamically" you mean that the rear sub will only be used for sound from the rear surround speakers, the answer is no. The subwoofers receive their signal from the combined signal of the satellite speakers below their respective crossovers. Audyssey knows not where you have placed your subwoofers, only that you have subwoofers.

As has been mentioned, the reason the auto-on function is not working correctly is because you have too low of voltage going to that subwoofer. You have two choices; increase the sub trim to that sub while decreasing the sub gain at the sub amp accordingly (also decreasing the gain on the amp for your shakers), or (what I do) just leave the sub on.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #5571 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post

This is exactly what I do. Alternatively, you can run audyssey from the avr and save the 2 different configurations to a usb drive and load the one you want depending on content.
post #5572 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
This is exactly what I do. Alternatively, you can run audyssey from the avr and save the 2 different configurations to a usb drive and load the one you want depending on content.
Awesome. I'm going to do this. I'm assuming there in NO way around NOT running Audyssey again with them labeled as heights? LOL.
post #5573 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
... or (what I do) just leave the sub on.
... or (what I do) with my sub, which is inaccessible behind an acoustically transparent fiber wall, use a 20 amp wall switch (leading to a single 20 amp outlet, connected by 10 gauge wire) to turn off and on the subwoofer(s), which itself/themselves remain(s) set to "on." The only downside I have run into is OCD, "Did you turn off the subwoofer?"
Alan P and mthomas47 like this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 11-19-2018 at 03:53 PM.
post #5574 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6396 Post(s)
Liked: 5712
post #5575 of 7078 Old 11-19-2018, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
^^^

There are also "smart" power strips.

My sub is also hidden so the power switch is hard to access. I have a "wireless remote controlled power socket" which has a red LED showing on/off status.

Something like this.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #5576 of 7078 Old 11-22-2018, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Do most of you run with DEQ on (with zero ref. offset) for movies? What about TV? Is a 10 dB offset recommended? This seems to work well, but even then, some content sounds a bit bass heavy. I tried turning off DEQ totally for movies and TV, but the sound kind of weak, especially in action movies with gunfire, explosions, etc.
post #5577 of 7078 Old 11-22-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overrid3 View Post
Do most of you run with DEQ on (with zero ref. offset) for movies? What about TV? Is a 10 dB offset recommended? This seems to work well, but even then, some content sounds a bit bass heavy. I tried turning off DEQ totally for movies and TV, but the sound kind of weak, especially in action movies with gunfire, explosions, etc.
I use DEQ with Reference. No offset and no dynamic volume. Sounds great.
Overrid3 likes this.

post #5578 of 7078 Old 11-22-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:

Hi,

I would suspect that "most" people probably prefer using DEQ, especially for movies. It's already on by default, and I think most people just leave it on. TV can be a little tougher for DEQ, because some network programs already boost the surround channels, and that can make DEQ less appealing. But, I know that some people prefer not to use DEQ at all. It's strictly a matter of personal preference.

I would definitely say that most people who choose not to use DEQ need to adjust for that with some independent subwoofer boost. If you haven't done that, I'm not surprised that your bass sounds relatively weak without DEQ. DEQ was specifically designed to compensate for the fact that we don't hear bass frequencies as well as the frequencies in our normal hearing range. As volume levels drop, most people need to add more bass SPL to compensate. DEQ does that automatically, but not everyone likes the effect.

If you want to better understand how DEQ works, and at what volumes and frequencies it is adding SPL, the article linked below will explain DEQ's actions in detail. You can calculate how much DEQ is boosting the bass at a particular listening level, and that may help you to know how much subwoofer boost to add in order to compensate for turning DEQ off. But, ultimately, subwoofer boosts, either with or without DEQ engaged, are a YMMV issue. You will just need to experiment, and your preferences may change somewhat, based on the specific program, or on your mood that day. Here's the link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...erences.html#V

Regards,
Mike

post #5579 of 7078 Old 11-22-2018, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I would suspect that "most" people probably prefer using DEQ, especially for movies. It's already on by default, and I think most people just leave it on. TV can be a little tougher for DEQ, because some network programs already boost the surround channels, and that can make DEQ less appealing. But, I know that some people prefer not to use DEQ at all. It's strictly a matter of personal preference.

I would definitely say that most people who choose not to use DEQ need to adjust for that with some independent subwoofer boost. If you haven't done that, I'm not surprised that your bass sounds relatively weak without DEQ. DEQ was specifically designed to compensate for the fact that we don't hear bass frequencies as well as the frequencies in our normal hearing range. As volume levels drop, most people need to add more bass SPL to compensate. DEQ does that automatically, but not everyone likes the effect.

If you want to better understand how DEQ works, and at what volumes and frequencies it is adding SPL, the article linked below will explain DEQ's actions in detail. You can calculate how much DEQ is boosting the bass at a particular listening level, and that may help you to know how much subwoofer boost to add in order to compensate for turning DEQ off. But, ultimately, subwoofer boosts, either with or without DEQ engaged, are a YMMV issue. You will just need to experiment, and your preferences may change somewhat, based on the specific program, or on your mood that day. Here's the link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...erences.html#V

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I find TV is a bit difficult to get correct with DEQ, especially since it varies by channel. Music is the most difficult, IMO. I run that with DEQ off, a boosted sub and some tone control tweaks.
post #5580 of 7078 Old 11-22-2018, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We very rarely use DEQ, because, to us, it sounds a little less clear than without it.

Recently, however, we had a guest coming over who is allergic to loud sound, and we usually play movies at 5 dB below reference level. We knew we would have to turn it down, and didn't want to lose perceived bass. So, we tried DEQ, As usual, DEQ seemed to interfere with clarity just a little, but the extra bass seemed to be the right choice. We heard just a sliver of treble boost.
mthomas47 and bigzee3 like this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 11-22-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page