"Official" Audyssey thread Part II - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43971Likes

post #6631 of 6765 Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Have you tried switching the Audio on the Verizon box to audio-pass through. You have to get into the white setup menu. Access menu turn the tv one box off by pressing the big button on the setup box. turn the box back on and immediately press the ok button on the remote control twice. It is not easy to do it takes some patients. once the screen appears press the back arrow on the remote control which brings you to the main page of the white screen. Goto user settings and goto additional HDMI settings. highlight audio which is set auto and switch it to audio-passthrough. that should give you what you are looking for. The cable box will no longer do the audio processing your AVR will. when exiting the menu of the setup screen press the menu button o the remote or the changes will not save, that is important

Dave-t
Yep, know all about the Fios Service menu. Problem is with the newer boxes,(VMS4100) the pass-through doesnt work anymore. Further Verizon is using Dolby Volume compression on all sources, and is converting all sources to Dolby 5.1 in the boxes. I'm currently working with several Fios reps to get the pass-through re-enabled, and have Dolby Volume as an option, as I think that is the source of the over compressed sound I hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 6765 Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemC View Post
Yep, know all about the Fios Service menu. Problem is with the newer boxes,(VMS4100) the pass-through doesnt work anymore. Further Verizon is using Dolby Volume compression on all sources, and is converting all sources to Dolby 5.1 in the boxes. I'm currently working with several Fios reps to get the pass-through re-enabled, and have Dolby Volume as an option, as I think that is the source of the over compressed sound I hear.
I would love to know when you find out when Audio Passthrough has been reinstated because right now that is what I have set on my box on the VMS 4100 or thought I did. cid you get a time frame on the firmware update?

thanks

Dave-t
post #6633 of 6765 Old 06-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I would love to know when you find out when Audio Passthrough has been reinstated because right now that is what I have set on my box on the VMS 4100 or thought I did. cid you get a time frame on the firmware update?

thanks

Dave-t

I'll let you know if and when they get the issues fixed. As far as firmware goes, go to dslreports.com, Verizon TV forum. There is a guy there named Branch that seems to have an inside track on firmware. I know 6.6 is coming, not when or what has been changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6634 of 6765 Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hello everyone,

Since a couple weeks back I had to increase the volume to watch TV or movie using the Marantz SR6012 were normally I watch TV or movie between -25 and -20, but since a couple weeks I had to increase to -10 and sometimes even lower of that. Then if I change to chromecast in the pass at -25 was ok was feeling the same volume, but know if I change to chromecast with -10 it's to higher, so I need to go back to -25 to feel comfortable, but if I go back to TV, then I need to go back to -10 or higher.

I took my sound meter to document the difference, I have attached some pictures so you can see the difference, I can said it's around 20db difference what I thing it's to much.

Anyone have any idea in maybe what is happening, I didn't change anything in the receiver recently.

Ohhh, wait, the only new it's a new 4k Projector, but not sure if that have anything to do with the lower sound.

Thanks in advance
jb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #6635 of 6765 Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
well i turned the sub on and during audyssey process i said yes to is sub connected.
tried 2 different cables, one from my other sub in use.
using a denon 1712

what i mean by not detect is when it starts calibrating with the sounds, it skips the subwoofer and even the subwoofer icon is not on the on screen image.
Have you tested the sub to confirm it works properly?

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #6636 of 6765 Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Have you tested the sub to confirm it works properly?

no but i just plugged its power cord into a random spot in my bedroom. plugged in sub cable.
touched the other en of the sub cable and the sub makes sounds. so im thinking it may be a problem with the denon 1712. its pretty old. but i will try a reset on the avr
post #6637 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How to emphasis voice

Using MultiEQ can I adjust the Audyssey room EQ graphs to emphasis voice just for the center channel?
If so, what would be the parameters for changing the graph? for example push 3khz up at the center?
thanks for the input.
post #6638 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 86
(Hope this is the right place to ask this)

Good morning. I've been wondering about something so I need some input.

Quick situation. My wife and I and our 2 kids live in a 2 bedroom townhouse. Space is limited and my "Home theater" is in the living room, which is an open room with the kitchen table on one end (with the kitchen past that) and the living room on the other end. It more or less looks like an apartment. In the evenings when I watch a movie, you'll often find my wife at the kitchen table area working on her crafts and to do this, she needs light so she has a light on which of course lights up the whole living room.

I recently had the idea of adding a divider to the room. I figured she would think i was crazy, but she actually liked the idea and helped me make it better. The end result is a wire strung up and 2 patio door size curtains being used as a divider. It works really well and it's one of my favorite things in recent memory. (It's the little things in life you end up loving the most!) It benefits us both as well. She can now have her light as bright as she wants and I have a much darker "room" to get more enjoyment out of my OLED.

So there you have it.

(I should mention the curtain on the right is a more recent addition to block the light from the windows. I am still working to make that darken them a bit more.)

So getting to why I posted. It occurred to me the other day...shouldn't I run Audyssey again with the curtain up and closed? Because that curtain will affect the sound, will it not? When I ran Audyssey last, it was for the open room.

I have the MultiEQ app. (and I am using a Denon X4400H if it matters) but I find it's not very easy to switch between profiles quickly. Plus it seems it doesn't save all settings. Things like RLO don't seem to save, Unless I am setting it wrong. If there is a way to have it save ALL settings, please let me know.

I don't always have the curtains on the right drawn. If its night, I don't need them. So if I can only have one Audyssey profile active, which is the "lesser of 2 evils" one I should default to?

Audyssey with the right curtain drawn (even when listening when it isn't) or run Audyssey with the right curtain open?

The left curtain is pretty much used at all times these days.

Basically my room may have different configurations of the curtains depending on when I am watching a movie. I'd like to know in which config I should run Audyssey, even if the room isn't always in that configuration.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtains.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	2582742  
galonzo likes this.
post #6639 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post

Quick situation. My wife and I and our 2 kids live in a 2 bedroom townhouse. Space is limited and my "Home theater" is in the living room, which is an open room with the kitchen table on one end (with the kitchen past that) and the living room on the other end. It more or less looks like an apartment. In the evenings when I watch a movie, you'll often find my wife at the kitchen table area working on her crafts and to do this, she needs light so she has a light on which of course lights up the whole living room.

I recently had the idea of adding a divider to the room. I figured she would think i was crazy, but she actually liked the idea and helped me make it better. The end result is a wire strung up and 2 patio door size curtains being used as a divider. It works really well and it's one of my favorite things in recent memory. (It's the little things in life you end up loving the most!) It benefits us both as well. She can now have her light as bright as she wants and I have a much darker "room" to get more enjoyment out of my OLED.

So there you have it.

(I should mention the curtain on the right is a more recent addition to block the light from the windows. I am still working to make that darken them a bit more.)

So getting to why I posted. It occurred to me the other day...shouldn't I run Audyssey again with the curtain up and closed? Because that curtain will affect the sound, will it not? When I ran Audyssey last, it was for the open room.

I have the MultiEQ app. (and I am using a Denon X4400H if it matters) but I find it's not very easy to switch between profiles quickly. Plus it seems it doesn't save all settings. Things like RLO don't seem to save, Unless I am setting it wrong. If there is a way to have it save ALL settings, please let me know.

I don't always have the curtains on the right drawn. If its night, I don't need them. So if I can only have one Audyssey profile active, which is the "lesser of 2 evils" one I should default to?

Audyssey with the right curtain drawn (even when listening when it isn't) or run Audyssey with the right curtain open?

Basically my room may have different configurations of the curtains depending on when I am watching a movie. I'd like to know in which config I should run Audyssey, even if the room isn't always in that configuration.

Thanks!
Yes, you should run Audyssey again...with the room set up the way it is when you usually watch movies and want them to be the most "critical". It doesn't really matter in other scenarios, it will be a compromise. For example, sometimes I use my recliner and watch a movie just to chill.
galonzo and garygarrison like this.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #6640 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post

So there you have it.

Thanks!
I've got a slightly similar situation with a large window and glass sliding door to a patio on my right wall. The window has a roman blind covering it which is always down when viewing anything while the door is covered by a curtain which is sometimes drawn, sometimes closed, and the door to the patio is open or closed depending on the weather. My left wall is bare with pictures, low bookshelves, and a large open archway in it.

I always do my calibration with the door to the patio closed and the curtain drawn but I never change my Audyssey profile. I use the same profile whether the curtain is drawn or not and the door is open or not. Perhaps it's because my listening position is in front of where the curtain begins and we're less sensitive to sound coming from behind us but that one profile works fine for me whether or not I have the curtains drawn and /or the door open.

I'd experiment. Start with your original profile from before you installed the curtain and see how it works for you with the curtain covering the whole wall or just that part of the wall from level with your listening position, or even with the curtain pulled back as far as it will go. See just how much a difference it makes. If it makes a big enough difference to bother you, then do a new calibration with the curtain covering the windows entirely and see how it works when you adjust the curtains again as above. You may well be able to find that one profile works reasonably well for most situations but better for one and be prepared to live with it rather than having to change calibrations for different curtain positions.

If you do have to change calibrations for different curtain positions you may want to try the MultEQ app if your AVR is compatible with it. It allows you to store several calibration results and upload them relatively quickly to your AVR and you may find it a more efficient means to do that than relying on the USB stick method the AVR provides.

I'm not saying you will find one calibration that works for you in your room but I did with mine so it's worth a try.
post #6641 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1649
@Zenos tar , I definitely agree with @pbz06 , and if it were me, I would run Audy with all drapes/window coverings closed, which should be fine for casual viewing when either or all are open. Do let us know how it goes

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #6642 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
The only entrance to my audio room is on the side wall just behind the right front speaker. Since I usually listen with the door open, the door is open when I calibrate.

I tried in the past to calibrate with the door closed, but the volume level and response curve pf that right speaker were off when the door was open for listening. Maybe this would not have occurred in a larger room...
galonzo likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #6643 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Yes, you should run Audyssey again...with the room set up the way it is when you usually watch movies and want them to be the most "critical". It doesn't really matter in other scenarios, it will be a compromise. For example, sometimes I use my recliner and watch a movie just to chill.
Yeah that is basically what I figured I would do. Choose the setting for the most "Vital" viewing configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
I've got a slightly similar situation with a large window and glass sliding door to a patio on my right wall. The window has a roman blind covering it which is always down when viewing anything while the door is covered by a curtain which is sometimes drawn, sometimes closed, and the door to the patio is open or closed depending on the weather. My left wall is bare with pictures, low bookshelves, and a large open archway in it.

I always do my calibration with the door to the patio closed and the curtain drawn but I never change my Audyssey profile. I use the same profile whether the curtain is drawn or not and the door is open or not. Perhaps it's because my listening position is in front of where the curtain begins and we're less sensitive to sound coming from behind us but that one profile works fine for me whether or not I have the curtains drawn and /or the door open.

I'd experiment. Start with your original profile from before you installed the curtain and see how it works for you with the curtain covering the whole wall or just that part of the wall from level with your listening position, or even with the curtain pulled back as far as it will go. See just how much a difference it makes. If it makes a big enough difference to bother you, then do a new calibration with the curtain covering the windows entirely and see how it works when you adjust the curtains again as above. You may well be able to find that one profile works reasonably well for most situations but better for one and be prepared to live with it rather than having to change calibrations for different curtain positions.

If you do have to change calibrations for different curtain positions you may want to try the MultEQ app if your AVR is compatible with it. It allows you to store several calibration results and upload them relatively quickly to your AVR and you may find it a more efficient means to do that than relying on the USB stick method the AVR provides.

I'm not saying you will find one calibration that works for you in your room but I did with mine so it's worth a try.
Just a quick note that I actually do have the MultiEQ App. I mentioned it during my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@Zenos tar , I definitely agree with @pbz06 , and if it were me, I would run Audy with all drapes/window coverings closed, which should be fine for casual viewing when either or all are open. Do let us know how it goes
To all of you - I appreciate the replies. I will let you know how it turns out. I probably wont have a chance to run Audyssey for a few days. I will probably do it Monday.
galonzo likes this.
post #6644 of 6765 Old 06-21-2019, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 50
There really should be the option for multiple profiles with Audyssey. It's available for the Anthem and DIRAC.
I wonder why this is still not implemented in the D&M AVRs in 2019.
post #6645 of 6765 Old 06-22-2019, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee6 View Post
There really should be the option for multiple profiles with Audyssey. It's available for the Anthem and DIRAC.
You can do it, you need to buy the app for $20, and it takes about a minute to change profiles.
galonzo and audiofan1 like this.

Spoiler!
post #6646 of 6765 Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
You can do it, you need to buy the app for $20, and it takes about a minute to change profiles.
I have the app but the 1 minute is a minute too long.
post #6647 of 6765 Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 3404
Quote:
I have the app but the 1 minute is a minute too long.
It doesn't change the fact that you actually can have multiple profiles, unlike what you said, even if you don't like the way it is implemented.
audiofan1 and SouthernCA like this.

Spoiler!
post #6648 of 6765 Old 06-22-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
It doesn't change the fact that you actually can have multiple profiles, unlike what you said, even if you don't like the way it is implemented.
You are correct. It should be said "There really should be the option for multiple Audyssey profiles saved in the hardware. It's available for the Anthem and DIRAC. I wonder why this is still not implemented in the D&M AVRs in 2019".
post #6649 of 6765 Old 06-22-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 99
[quote=shoeboo;52027345]Does anyone have feedback on why the default target curve in the new app rolls off the low end? Did a quick search and have only seen discussion on reference curve rolling off high end. Can edit the curve to remove roll-off but was wondering why it is there in first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

problem solved, ran Audyssey again and the curve went back to flat

Last edited by Macroblocker; 06-24-2019 at 12:49 AM.
post #6650 of 6765 Old 06-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
OK...another setup question for you guys. I recently moved to CT and while our stuff is in transit I am trying to plan my new setup. I will be in half of an open lower level. Large window with a full blind on the left (facing the TV) and a waist high ledge/half wall three feet behind the couch. I have a 7.2 system and am planning the subs next to the TV stand with my towers outside. Surrounds a foot or so above ear level (one will hang below part of the window). The rears however will be lower than the side surrounds and just clear the back of the couch. Is this going to be a problem?

I'm open to suggestions to get them higher, and while in a couple years I'm going to build a full custom theater in an unfinished space upstairs, this is going to have to do for the near term. Any thing I should try and do before the movers arrive and I start setting up?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #6651 of 6765 Old 06-23-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
I wish there was, too... However, you can accomplish the same thing, either by saving multiple configurations on separate flash drives or on the MultiEQ phone app.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #6652 of 6765 Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
whats the cheapest AVR with Audessy that has a Zone 2?
post #6653 of 6765 Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi All,

Quick question: I just re-ran Audyssey calibration (XT32) due to a change in my environment (display upgrade), and it is identifying the main speakers differently than before. In other words, where the main channel was previously identified as "large," the current calibration IDs them as "small." The weird thing is that the crossover was set the same either way, at 40hz. I always set everybody to "small" and raise each crossover setting to 80hz (if they are lower) anyway, but I find this curious. I ran the setup twice with the same results. Levels and distances are spot-on. What does Audyssey use to ID the speaker as large or small (I would have thought it was the c/o, but it was set the same either way)? Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #6654 of 6765 Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Hi All,

Quick question: I just re-ran Audyssey calibration (XT32) due to a change in my environment (display upgrade), and it is identifying the main speakers differently than before. In other words, where the main channel was previously identified as "large," the current calibration IDs them as "small." The weird thing is that the crossover was set the same either way, at 40hz. I always set everybody to "small" and raise each crossover setting to 80hz (if they are lower) anyway, but I find this curious. I ran the setup twice with the same results. Levels and distances are spot-on. What does Audyssey use to ID the speaker as large or small (I would have thought it was the c/o, but it was set the same either way)? Thanks!

Did you move the speakers at all? Are they the same number of inches from the wall or other sources of boundary gain? Maybe the response was "on the cusp" so to speak, and the AVR decided one way one time, and the other way the other. Were the microphone positions near identical (I assume you used all 8). I am at a loss to explain the crossover staying the same, while the "size" assigned changes unless in one case the F3 (the point at which a given speaker's bass response is down 3 dB) is at the end of a gradual decline in bass response (LARGE) and in the other case, the bass falls by almost 3 dB at a higher point (say at - 2.75 dB at 55Hz, due to less boundary support -- SMALL) and then stays almost level until falling to - 3 dB at the same 40 Hz as before. Obviously just guessing.

Last edited by garygarrison; 06-25-2019 at 10:54 PM.
post #6655 of 6765 Old 06-26-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Did you move the speakers at all? Are they the same number of inches from the wall or other sources of boundary gain? Maybe the response was "on the cusp" so to speak, and the AVR decided one way one time, and the other way the other. Were the microphone positions near identical (I assume you used all 8). I am at a loss to explain the crossover staying the same, while the "size" assigned changes unless in one case the F3 (the point at which a given speaker's bass response is down 3 dB) is at the end of a gradual decline in bass response (LARGE) and in the other case, the bass falls by almost 3 dB at a higher point (say at - 2.75 dB at 55Hz, due to less boundary support -- SMALL) and then stays almost level until falling to - 3 dB at the same 40 Hz as before. Obviously just guessing.

Hi Gary,

The only thing that changed was the display (Panny 65V10 --> LG C965AUA). All the speaker/sub locations remained the same, as did the mic positions (yes, I did use all 8). The only thing that really changed was the fact that the Panny had a bezel around the screen, and the LG does not, but I have no idea why that would make a difference (unless it has to do with reflections, or boundary support from the bezel? - the display is only a couple of inches away on either side). I really need to get the MultEQ app...
garygarrison likes this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by Vader424242; 06-26-2019 at 05:30 AM.
post #6656 of 6765 Old 06-26-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Quote:
Hi Gary,

The only thing that changed was the display (Panny 65V10 --> LG C965AUA). All the speaker/sub locations remained the same, as did the mic positions (yes, I did use all 8). The only thing that really changed was the fact that the Panny had a bezel around the screen, and the LG does not, but I have no idea why that would make a difference (unless it has to do with reflections, or boundary support from the bezel? - the display is only a couple of inches away on either side). I really need to get the MultEQ app...

I would think that a bezel of likely size would be roundly ignored by bass frequencies. Even with a bezel this size ... but the scaffolding might make a good diffusor.
Vader424242 likes this.
post #6657 of 6765 Old 06-26-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would think that a bezel of likely size would be roundly ignored by bass frequencies. Even with a bezel this size ... but the scaffolding might make a good diffusor.

LOL... Good point. Your explanation sounds good to me
garygarrison likes this.

Peace... Vader

post #6658 of 6765 Old 06-27-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Hi Gary,

Quote:
Photo removed.

I'm going to give a "maybe" to the display being responsible.

The crossover is set based on where the rolloff in the bass reaches 3 dB down from the level at some reference frequency. The change in display is unlikely to affect bass response but it may well change the level of the mids and higher frequencies due to greater reflection from the bezel. If it raises the level of the reference frequency slightly then that is going to affect the frequency identified as 3 dB down which will also rise slightly and that may be the reason for the change in your results.

Consistent with that is the idea that if you make a change which lowers the level of the mids and higher frequencies in the measurement then the frequency identified as being 3 dB down will also be identified as a lower frequency, even though the bass response of the speaker hasn't changed.

The obvious test, which you probably aren't going to make, is to swap the display back to the previous display and see if you now get your original result when you do a calibration. That would be a pretty good indicator that it is the display making the difference but short of doing that it's going to be pretty difficult to come up with a reliable indication of what produced the change. All I can say is that I think the display is a possibility, bizarre as that sounds. What's important to recognise here is that whether your speaker gets set to large/small may not depend only on the speaker's bass response in the room but also on its response at a higher frequency.
Vader424242 likes this.
post #6659 of 6765 Old 06-27-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Thank you, David! Someday, I might understand this stuff sufficiently to be a little dangerous (and all of you are teaching me loads)...

Unfortunately, my old display has moved on to greener pastures (I gifted it to a friend), so I can't switch stuff back. Whatever the cause, it still sounds great!

Peace... Vader

post #6660 of 6765 Old 06-29-2019, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon AA View Post
When you put it in the curve like this:

The Audyssey app won't give me a graph that looks like that. It still rolls off the bottom, no matter how much I try to drag the 20 Hz point up. It *says* +6 dB at 20 Hz, but the graph still looks like it's rolling off to -8 dB at 20Hz. Does that mean Audyssey found my sub unable to support higher volumes at that level? It's an Outlaw Ultra-X12. Not the most amazing sub, but certainly not a cheap piece of junk. And I have 2 of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors