"Official" Audyssey thread Part II - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44170Likes

post #6781 of 7029 Old 07-21-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
If i buy a 200Hz sub and it will (try to) do the 200Hz x-over, think i will hear it play.
If i buy the SPL 150 it will be less placeable du to it will play max 125Hz and start to lose bass much sooner then a 200Hz sub, or am i wrong ?

And thank you for trying to get me on the right track
The SVS PB1000 is 19-270 Hz +/- 3 dB, so should work well. It should be better than most Klipsch subwoofers,and is available in the EU.

https://www.hificorner.nl/search/PB1000/
galonzo and garygarrison like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 7029 Old 07-21-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Part of what you are encountering is Hofmann's Iron Law of speaker design, which states that among the following three desirable properties of a speaker, you can only have two:

Small speaker box (enclosure)

High sensitivity (sometimes called "efficiency")

Good, deep bass

Your main speakers have extremely small enclosures (and the speaker diaphragms themselves are very small, as Mike pointed out). At 90 dB/1w/1m, they have slightly high efficiency in the midrange (usually 500 to 2,000Hz) -- so that's two -- so, according to Hofmann, you can't have deep bass. Audyssey is telling you that in your room, with your speaker placement, and in your listening position, they don't reach down to the 68 dB Gallo specifies without more of a bass decline than 3 dB.

The Klipsch subwoofer is probably pretty good (some others might be better for the $$), but I really don't know what would happen above 120 Hz ... some subwoofers roll off at 38 dB/octave above their upper limit.
Ok, clear about the very low bass speakers i have but i do like them a lot

The "worry" i have is that i can (could) hear the subwoofer, where its placed.
Should i buy a sub that can do the "needit" 150-200 Hz like SVS PB1000 is 19-270 Hz +/- 3 dB, or will it be better to get one that will do something like 19-125 Hz so it will roll off sooner and i will not hear the mid/upper bass ?
post #6783 of 7029 Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:

Should i buy a sub that can do the "needit" 150-200 Hz like SVS PB1000 is 19-270 Hz +/- 3 dB, or will it be better to get one that will do something like 19-125 Hz so it will roll off sooner and i will not hear the mid/upper bass ?
Try placing your current sub in the front of the room between your L/R speakers. That will greatly reduce localization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6784 of 7029 Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Try placing your current sub in the front of the room between your L/R speakers. That will greatly reduce localization.
Not possible, sub needs to be on the left of the left front speaker, no other options
So i need some info on what sub to get, a higher playing sub or lower playing, 19-125 or 19-250
post #6785 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:

Now I think I'm beginning to understand that you are worried that if you cross-over as high as 150 Hz or 200 Hz you will be able to clearly locate where the subwoofer is, instead of all of the bass coming from wherever in the soundstage its point of origin is supposed to be, i.e., where it was placed by the filmmakers.

It is true this can be a problem. "Experts" can't seem to agree on exactly what frequency (and below) bass becomes non-directional, it could be as low as 80/90/100 Hz, or as high as 150/200 Hz. A great deal may depend on individual differences, including, but not limited to, how far apart your ears are, compared to the wavelength of the sound being played! Somewhere on AVS there is a thread on this.

I'd be inclined to get the SVS PB1000, set the crossovers to the Gallos where Audyssey recommends, and minimize the problem by:
  • Placing the SVS PB1000 midway between your Right Front and Left Front speakers, right below your center channel. [Edit: written before I saw your response above. If the SVS MUST be off center, can you disguise it (see below)?]
  • If there is a way to disguise the subwoofer with some acoustically transparent cloth (a grille cloth, if the SVS comes with it) so that listeners can't see it, or it is less obvious, that might help. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • I think the SVS PB1000 has a port on the front of the box. If this is true, aim it straight forward, and place its rear side against (or almost against) the wall. [Or if it must be off center, could you try it in a front corner?]
  • Make sure there is nothing that vibrates near the subwoofer that could give away its location.
  • If and when you eventually replace the Gallo main speakers, get some that go down to about 40 Hz, and try crossing them over at about 80 Hz.
With all of the above, experiment, experiment, experiment.

With music that is mostly midrange and treble, like solo violin or viola, speakers like your Gallos might be fine. I was fooled by some about their size, that were hidden in a store -- with no subwoofer -- playing ethereal Hildegard von Bingen music with great clarity (I bought the CD, "Voice of the Blood."). But full orchestra, pipe organ, drums, bass guitar or modern movies are maximally demanding.
galonzo and CBdicX like this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 07-22-2019 at 12:25 AM.
post #6786 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Thanks for the help :-)
As i am not able to put the sub midway between front L/R will it help to get a second sub on the right ?
Or will a second sub increase the location problem ?

Is a lower then 20Hz sub a must or will 30-35 Hz sub be also enough for HT stuff.

I like this one, small and easy to place, tiny footprint, but is it a help for the Gallo's and HT ?

https://www.teufelaudio.com/uk/acces...sw-p13341.html

Last edited by CBdicX; 07-22-2019 at 12:28 AM.
post #6787 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 4019
Quote:
As i am not able to put the sub midway between front L/R will it help to get a second sub on the right ?

Is a lower then 20Hz sub a must or will 30-35 Hz sub be also enough for HT stuff.

I like this one, small and easy to place, tiny footprint, but is it a help for the Gallo's and HT ?

Yes, if you are able to put a subwoofer on either side, it will decrease, and probably completely stop any localization.

The SVS can go almost an octave lower, and has much more power(not a guarantee of more output, other design choices affect that as well), so is going probably going to be able to play louder as well.
If you don't mind losing the bottom octave, these will definitely help your Gallos out. I know Teufel is a reasonably respected German brand, and it is THX certified, so I'm sure it sounds great within its limitations. (low power, small size negatively affects it's low end ability and it's output ability.)

If you can make 2 SVS work for you, that would be the way to go.

I noticed Teufel has similar policies to SVS, 8 week trial, free returns. You could try them, and if you don't think they're enough, try the PB1000.
galonzo and CBdicX like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!

Last edited by drh3b; 07-22-2019 at 05:43 AM.
post #6788 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

SVS SB 1000

ok, pulled the trigger for 2x SB 1000, one on the Left and Right side :-)
I wanted the SB over the PB as i do not have to much space on the right side, the SB is only 33 x 33 x 33cm !
Hope the 2 SVS subs will give my Gallo Strada setup a
B O O S T ……….

Thanks for all the help !!
garygarrison and drh3b like this.

Last edited by CBdicX; 07-22-2019 at 07:41 AM.
post #6789 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Does anyone know what frequencies does the Audyssey dialog enhancer boost in Denon 6500x and 8500x?

What other settings does Audyssey or Denon change in when dialog enhancer is selected?

I am trying to implement many of those settings in Denon 3500 Audyssey to improve dialog clarity I'm a 4.1 setup.

Thanks
CBdicX likes this.
post #6790 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:

Your AVR may have 2 sub outputs but Audyssey and the AVR don't treat them as left and right subs, they treat them as 2 mono subs so the same signal gets sent to each. That means that if you place them in mirror image positions relative to your L and R speakers, the sound will appear to come from dead centre between them, the same place a sound which appears in the centre speaker comes from so yes, it should eliminate the localisation problem. It may introduce another problem. Audyssey measures the 2 subs separately but it creates one correction filter for the combination of the 2 subs. If the subs aren't identical and one of them has better bass performance than the other, Audyssey has a problem. If it creates a filter based on the bass extension of the sub which goes lower, it can create problems for the sub which doesn't go as low. If it creates a filter based on the sub with weaker performance, the better sub won't go as low. I can't remember for certain which way Audyssey goes but I think it takes the safe option and bases it's filter on the weaker sub so the better sub will end up not delivering what it could deliver. My advice would be to to get a second Gallo sub or to replace the Gallo with either a single better sub or with 2 better identical subs rather than using 2 different subs.

You can certainly add a different sub along with your Gallo sub if you wish, it's your choice., but there's no guarantee that the combination will work as well as you hope. It's pointless asking if anyone has tried such and such a sub with your Gallo sub because the odds are that you won't find anyone who has done so. Even if by some fluke you found someone who had, they have a different room to you and they may have placed the subs in different locations where each worked differently to the way they work in your room. Their results are going to be different and the kind of result they were chasing may also be different to what you want so their opinion won't be valid for you. Sometimes the only way to find out if something will work well is just to try it for yourself and this is going to be one of those times. If you are going to try adding a different sub, either borrow one to try first or choose one you can return if you don't like the result.
CBdicX likes this.
post #6791 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Does anyone know what frequencies does the Audyssey dialog enhancer boost in Denon 6500x and 8500x?

What other settings does Audyssey or Denon change in when dialog enhancer is selected?

I am trying to implement many of those settings in Denon 3500 Audyssey to improve dialog clarity I'm a 4.1 setup.

Thanks
Every sound from human vocal cords has a fundamental frequency and a harmonic series of overtones, just as other strings on a piano will resonate if you hold down the sustaining pedal and strike a single note. The fundamental note of male speech is generally between 85-180 Hz; for an adult female, it's between 165 and 255 Hz. However, the overtones of speech can go as high as 8 kHz, and it's the higher-pitched consonants and sibilants that require the higher frequencies to be audible. So there will be a wide range of frequencies higher than the fundamental that would have to be emphasized to make speech clearer.

Does your receiver let you do that with the center-channel audio that's getting distributed to both of your front speakers? If you can't do that without affecting rqualization on the front L and R channels, you're going to end up with a really shrill system.
galonzo likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #6792 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 899
If I use the app to limit the correction frequency (300hz), it doesn't matter then what I do with MRC or Target Rolloff 1 or 2, right?

But I can then just engage CinemaEQ which will still work?
post #6793 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Every sound from human vocal cords has a fundamental frequency and a harmonic series of overtones, just as other strings on a piano will resonate if you hold down the sustaining pedal and strike a single note. The fundamental note of male speech is generally between 85-180 Hz; for an adult female, it's between 165 and 255 Hz. However, the overtones of speech can go as high as 8 kHz, and it's the higher-pitched consonants and sibilants that require the higher frequencies to be audible. So there will be a wide range of frequencies higher than the fundamental that would have to be emphasized to make speech clearer.

Does your receiver let you do that with the center-channel audio that's getting distributed to both of your front speakers? If you can't do that without affecting rqualization on the front L and R channels, you're going to end up with a really shrill system.
Think what SouthernCA and i want to know is, what is the receiver doing when Dialog Enhancer is used ?
Its a 3 step option so they are 3 fixed steps to "improve" the dialog of the Center speaker.
And it works only on the Center speaker, not the fronts.
Its a great option, to bad Denon has this option on only 2 AVR's, and Marantz has not
post #6794 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
Maybe a question for the Denon X...H forum.
In the past i asked the same question, then (something like 2 years ago) never got an answer.
As it is a 3 step fixed enhancer someone must know what these steps are doing.
post #6795 of 7029 Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Your AVR may have 2 sub outputs but Audyssey and the AVR don't treat them as left and right subs, they treat them as 2 mono subs so the same signal gets sent to each. That means that if you place them in mirror image positions relative to your L and R speakers, the sound will appear to come from dead centre between them, the same place a sound which appears in the centre speaker comes from so yes, it should eliminate the localisation problem. It may introduce another problem. Audyssey measures the 2 subs separately but it creates one correction filter for the combination of the 2 subs. If the subs aren't identical and one of them has better bass performance than the other, Audyssey has a problem. If it creates a filter based on the bass extension of the sub which goes lower, it can create problems for the sub which doesn't go as low. If it creates a filter based on the sub with weaker performance, the better sub won't go as low. I can't remember for certain which way Audyssey goes but I think it takes the safe option and bases it's filter on the weaker sub so the better sub will end up not delivering what it could deliver. My advice would be to to get a second Gallo sub or to replace the Gallo with either a single better sub or with 2 better identical subs rather than using 2 different subs.

You can certainly add a different sub along with your Gallo sub if you wish, it's your choice., but there's no guarantee that the combination will work as well as you hope. It's pointless asking if anyone has tried such and such a sub with your Gallo sub because the odds are that you won't find anyone who has done so. Even if by some fluke you found someone who had, they have a different room to you and they may have placed the subs in different locations where each worked differently to the way they work in your room. Their results are going to be different and the kind of result they were chasing may also be different to what you want so their opinion won't be valid for you. Sometimes the only way to find out if something will work well is just to try it for yourself and this is going to be one of those times. If you are going to try adding a different sub, either borrow one to try first or choose one you can return if you don't like the result.
Thank you,
yes i will get 2 same subs, the Gallo sub is returned, nice to look at but not very good, more a bigger woofer instade of a subwoofer.
I know Audyssey has a hard time with 2 different subs, i personal would never do 2 different subs, i do not even like the look of 2 different subs
post #6796 of 7029 Old 07-23-2019, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Maybe a question for the Denon X...H forum.

In the past i asked the same question, then (something like 2 years ago) never got an answer.

As it is a 3 step fixed enhancer someone must know what these steps are doing.
Here is what I got from the Denon forum if you are curious.

The dialog enhancer has three positions: low, medium, and high with the following frequency enhancement curves.
shae likes this.
post #6797 of 7029 Old 07-23-2019, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is what I got from the Denon forum if you are curious.

The dialog enhancer has three positions: low, medium, and high with the following frequency enhancement curves.
Clear, now you know what to do with the Audyssey app...…….
post #6798 of 7029 Old 07-23-2019, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Think what SouthernCA and i want to know is, what is the receiver doing when Dialog Enhancer is used ?
Its a 3 step option so they are 3 fixed steps to "improve" the dialog of the Center speaker.
And it works only on the Center speaker, not the fronts.
Its a great option, to bad Denon has this option on only 2 AVR's, and Marantz has not
I understood the question, but I have no direct information to answer it, such as REW charts with/without the enhancer circuit in use. The point I was trying to make is that the OP has a 4.1 system, i.e., no center channel speaker. The AVR will send the center channel signal in that setup to both L and R fronts.

If there is some way to improve dialogue clarity by altering the response curve ONLY on the center channel signal before it goes to the speakers, fine. But altering the L and R front channel response curves to improve dialogue clarity will obviously have big effects on the signals intended for those channels as well.
galonzo likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #6799 of 7029 Old 07-23-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understood the question, but I have no direct information to answer it, such as REW charts with/without the enhancer circuit in use. The point I was trying to make is that the OP has a 4.1 system, i.e., no center channel speaker. The AVR will send the center channel signal in that setup to both L and R fronts.

If there is some way to improve dialogue clarity by altering the response curve ONLY on the center channel signal before it goes to the speakers, fine. But altering the L and R front channel response curves to improve dialogue clarity will obviously have big effects on the signals intended for those channels as well.
Indeed, with a 4.1 setup this will effect the fronts, i missed the 4.1 and was thinking of a 3.1 setup
post #6800 of 7029 Old 07-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question: Does anyone know why Audyssey cannot be used with Dolby Height Virtualizer or DTS Virtual:X?
post #6801 of 7029 Old 07-25-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyW View Post
Question: Does anyone know why Audyssey cannot be used with Dolby Height Virtualizer or DTS Virtual:X?

What's your AVR's brand and model number? Does the Manual say Audyssey can not be used in the above listed cases?
post #6802 of 7029 Old 07-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does Audessey have yearly (or any other frequency) revisions of each of its standards? E.g., Is the Audyssey MultEQ XT in SR 6007 (from 2013) same as MultEQ XT in NR 1609 (from 2019)? Or is it different where they have the same name but have gone through revisions of its algorithms?
post #6803 of 7029 Old 07-30-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codwapeace View Post
Does Audessey have yearly (or any other frequency) revisions of each of its standards? E.g., Is the Audyssey MultEQ XT in SR 6007 (from 2013) same as MultEQ XT in NR 1609 (from 2019)? Or is it different where they have the same name but have gone through revisions of its algorithms?
Each named variety of Audyssey has remained the same. XT has always been the same.

post #6804 of 7029 Old 07-31-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is it normal that Audyssey wants my subwoofer's gain set to 1~1.5 before it begins mic readings? In the testing phase the subs are not audible to me at the MLP or very, very slight if I put my head right next to them.

AVR: Marantz sr6011 for subs, center, and surrounds/Atmos, Denon 3805 for the fronts
Subs: dual Klipsch R-115SW

I've had 2 totally different room setups and a few sub placements and it's always the same. Crossover in the 6011 is 80 Hz., crossover on the subs set to max. The room is 30' x 40' with 10' ceilings. Subs are 12' from the MLP. The LFE is very weak after just using Audyssey settings, only audible at the most extreme, peak moments. Bumping the gain to 3.5 or bumping output in the 6011 +7 makes it seem 'normal', which I know is subjective, but a car crash gives a couple of 'good' thuds, and "Bladerunner 2049" or "Madmax Fury Road" seems as intense as it should be without clipping or bottoming out.
post #6805 of 7029 Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked: 5682
^^^

A 3-6dB bump in sub level post-Audyssey is the average...some of us prefer (way) more.
post #6806 of 7029 Old 08-02-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
[Bizarre bolding and freakish font inflation is mine - GG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Is it normal that Audyssey wants my subwoofer's gain set to 1~1.5 before it begins mic readings? In the testing phase the subs are not audible to me ...

I've had 2 totally different room setups and a few sub placements and it's always the same. ... The LFE is very weak after just using Audyssey settings, only audible at the most extreme, peak moments. Bumping the gain to 3.5 or bumping output in the 6011 +7 makes it seem 'normal', which I know is subjective, but a car crash gives a couple of 'good' thuds, and "Bladerunner 2049" or "Madmax Fury Road" seems as intense as it should be without clipping or bottoming out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
^^^

A 3-6dB bump in sub level post-Audyssey is the average...some of us prefer (way) more.

I'd try turning the gain on the back of subwoofers themselves up even higher than +3.5. This may allow you to keep the "sub out" trim setting in the 6011 at a lower level, where its internal line driver is less likely to clip (I know you aren't hearing clipping yet, but a receiver trim of +7 is awfully high, and may invite trouble; I'm assuming that, by referring to the "output of the 6011" you are indicating the internal trim level for the subwoofers only in the receiver, rather than a setting of + 7 on the Main Volume Control. The ideal receiver trim level is more like -5 or lower (but I don't get clipping at higher levels), with the dual subs turned up with the knob on each sub, to provide "normal" bass, or several dB up to provide the bass boost many of us like, as Alan says. I don't know if there is any circuitry in the sub before the gain knob, or not. If it is just a big variable resistor or "pot," I don't think it will overload in any position, high or low. The trim in the receiver will, possibly.

This is all covered in the Guide of Mike Thomas; I'll get you a link for it in a few minutes. Look at his "Cliff Notes" first and it will tell you where in the main body it is discussed.

Here it is. GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES
galonzo, mthomas47 and cathodeRay like this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 08-02-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #6807 of 7029 Old 08-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Is there a Receiver and/oor Pre/Pro in 2019 that doesn’t downsamples high-res playback when Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is enabled?

My understanding is that most Audyssey processors will process the signal at 24/48 internally before the D/A conversion.

--
Spoiler!
post #6808 of 7029 Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Is there a Receiver and/oor Pre/Pro in 2019 that doesn’t downsamples high-res playback when Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is enabled?

My understanding is that most Audyssey processors will process the signal at 24/48 internally before the D/A conversion.
NO Audyssey processors operate at sample rates higher than 48 kHz. Any source with higher res is downsampled. The limitation stems from the processing power in current AVRs, although a Audyssey could operate at a higher sample rate if the AVR manufacturers wanted to increase the processing power of their hardware:
https://www.audioholics.com/room-aco...m-eq-interview

In my system, the benefits of Audyssey outweigh the effects of downsampling hi-res files. It's easy enough to test this for yourself by listening to a 96 kHz or 192 kHz file with and then without Audyssey.

post #6809 of 7029 Old 08-05-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
NO Audyssey processors operate at sample rates higher than 48 kHz. Any source with higher res is downsampled. The limitation stems from the processing power in current AVRs, although a Audyssey could operate at a higher sample rate if the AVR manufacturers wanted to increase the processing power of their hardware:
https://www.audioholics.com/room-aco...m-eq-interview

In my system, the benefits of Audyssey outweigh the effects of downsampling hi-res files. It's easy enough to test this for yourself by listening to a 96 kHz or 192 kHz file with and then without Audyssey.
I pasted the appropriate text from you link below. I’m confused, as this is the first time I have heard of down sampling of high res music sources. I’m using a Denon 3500 AVR, Audyssey is always on, playing back via USB stick, a 192kHz FLAC music file. Info on AVR screen shows rate as 192kHz. Is that just showing the source rate, and in reality all higher rates are down sampled to 48kHz, and you just don’t see it reflected in any AVR info screens?
Confused.....
Thanks.

PASTE:
“Audioholics: The top frequency for correction is 24kHz, implying that Audyssey is functioning at a 48kHz sample rate. Does this mean that high resolution content (for example 192kHz or 96kHz sample rate PCM) will be downmixed?

Chris Kyriakakis: There are two parts to this answer. A loudspeaker does not reproduce acoustic energy above about 24-30 kHz even if it was in the content (with the exception of super-super tweeters), and a microphone cannot capture acoustic energy above that range. So if there is no information captured then, there is nothing for the filter to do up there.

Now, there is content encoded at higher sampling rates of course. We offer MultEQ at 96 kHz and even higher if needed so that the content can be processed without downsampling, even though the MultEQ filters above 24-30 kHz (adjustable) would be doing absolutely nothing. The issue is that doubling the sampling rate also doubles (roughly) the processing requirements needed. This is true for any kind of digital processing not just MultEQ. The AVR makers would have to add significant cost for more DSP processing and they have chosen not to do that. So they decided to use Audyssey at a max of 48 kHz. From an acoustic point of view this makes perfect sense for the reason I explained above.”

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #6810 of 7029 Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post
I pasted the appropriate text from you link below. I’m confused, as this is the first time I have heard of down sampling of high res music sources. I’m using a Denon 3500 AVR, Audyssey is always on, playing back via USB stick, a 192kHz FLAC music file. Info on AVR screen shows rate as 192kHz. Is that just showing the source rate, and in reality all higher rates are down sampled to 48kHz, and you just don’t see it reflected in any AVR info screens?
Confused.....
The AVR companies have hidden this for years but, when questioned directly, will respond with the same argument that Chris offers. They all down-sample but there would be no requirement to do so if marketing decided that the consumer was willing to pay more for it. I suspect they have good business reasons to do what they do, annoying as it is for many of us.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors