"Official" Audyssey thread Part II - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44913Likes

post #7591 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
I don't think it is the ceiling beams. The total area of wood surface they provide is small, so their effect -- mostly a little extra beneficial diffusion -- wouldn't provide a big change, IMO.

Why do you think it has to do with the calibration?

If you like the sound of the old AVR better, maybe you should just get the buzzing fixed, and return the new one. If Denon is using a different design now, it is conceivable that it might make a difference in the sound. Who knows? Maybe the new AVR and the speakers/room have an inferior synergy. People have been fighting over whether different design types actually sound different since at least the 1960s.

On the buzzing: Is the buzzing present only when you use the old AVR? When the buzzing starts, if you immediately turn off Audyssey, but leave everything else on, does the buzz go away? I predict it will not. Are you saying that the buzz comes when either of two different receivers are used, the old and thee new? That's weird. Is the buzz a steady buzz once it starts? Or is it something that varies with the loudness of the music, or varies in its nature as it goes on? Could it be distortion when very loud passages are played? If your sound system lacked high frequencies before Audyssey, and Audyssey turned up your treble, it might make buzz show up more, but I doubt that is the problem. Since you say it comes out of all the speakers, it sounds like it may be coming from something all channels share, such as the receiver's power supply, including the power transformer, rectifier, reservoir capacitors, whatever. I'm not a tech, so I'm not sure whether there is total sharing, or what, but somebody here can probably shed more light. Did lightning strike nearby? The other thing all of your channels share is your house! But anything coming from your house's electrical system would be subtle, I'd think. But I've seen the following things blamed for buzzes in a system: noise coming over the power lines, fluorescent lights, refrigerators, sewing machines or other motors, improper grounding, including the main house grounding (A metal rod driven into the ground, or water pipes, etc., or corroded noncontinuous wires leading from the main to ground), or RF signals, or National Guard Radar ... you name it, and it's been blamed!

In any case, you ought to call or email either a good service tech (attached to a reputable stereo dealer, preferably not a chain) or the manufacturer of the receiver.

The buzzing only happens with the old receiver, I do believe the cause was a lightning strike. The new receiver has no buzz and everything sounds fine except voices on the tv. The center Chanel sounds very sharp and voices have a lot of echo to them.

When I hook the old receiver up the voices sound normal, but that is the receiver that starts buzzing once it starts getting warm.
garygarrison likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepndoogs View Post
The buzzing only happens with the old receiver, I do believe the cause was a lightning strike. The new receiver has no buzz and everything sounds fine except voices on the tv. The center Chanel sounds very sharp and voices have a lot of echo to them.

When I hook the old receiver up the voices sound normal, but that is the receiver that starts buzzing once it starts getting warm.
Ya know, I just noticed that the color scheme of your room is very similar to mine: kind of a brick red and greenish gray walls with bright white baseboards. Based just on that, it ought to sound perfect. 😄
post #7593 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 07:59 AM

So I moved the speakers a bit and ran another set up through the receiver and I was able to get the center Chanel sound a little better. I would like to play around a little more with mic placement and trying to also re position the sub. Is there a way to save the current set up file to go back to if I the new set up makes it worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7594 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I moved the speakers a bit and ran another set up through the receiver and I was able to get the center Chanel sound a little better. I would like to play around a little more with mic placement and trying to also re position the sub. Is there a way to save the current set up file to go back to if I the new set up makes it worse?

I think you can save it to a thumb drive but you may need the app to do it. I saw it mentioned here so someone else should know for sure. Good luck.

Bill
post #7595 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 2272
Quote:
Hi Jeepndoogs,

Yes you should be able to do a back up to a USB Drive/Thumb drive. Look in the "Setup menu", then "General" then "Save and Load".

If you want the speakers to sound natural they need to come out of that insert area. The Main Left and Right speakers probably have bass vents on the back. If so they are venting into an echo chamber. Just for experiment sake. Pull both speakers out of the cut out space and install then just outside on the front wall. Next pull the center out of the shelf hole and place on floor in front of the entertainment furniture. Angle the Center up to point at your head when seated. Use magazines or Blu Rays as wedges for now. Give each speaker a few inches from any wall surface behind them. Then run some demo Movies to see if there is any improvement. If there is as I expect there will be. You might want to run Audyssey again with the speakers pulled out of that cubby space.

I can't really make out where the Center is in the Pics you posted. So I am assuming it is tucked in the Entertainment furniture above the TV. That is why I am recommending you pull it out of there and place on the floor aiming up at the MLP.

Experimentation is the process of how we tune our rooms. It is not the speakers we hear, it is the room that derives the end result sound. Keep that in mind as you experiment.

Best of Luck Sir. And have fun, as that is the goal is it not?
mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #7596 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post
I think you can save it to a thumb drive but you may need the app to do it. I saw it mentioned here so someone else should know for sure. Good luck.

You can save calibration to usb/thumb drive without the app.
post #7597 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 10:32 AM

The front speakers actually have oval ports on the bottom facing forward. Do you think that will still cause issues? I have the, pulled out about 1-2 inches past the wall and entertainment center. I just noticed the pictures are upside down!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	437C70C2-4787-4876-A013-F395173A0C15.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	2669914   Click image for larger version

Name:	EED8CC9E-8F23-44DE-9905-A2E2FAD7EB05.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	2669916   Click image for larger version

Name:	31346E2E-D226-4315-B15C-CBEA4577B44A.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2669918  
post #7598 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 6710 Post(s)
Liked: 6266
Quote:

Voices on "the TV"? Is it only one source (cable box) that sounds bad, or is it all sources?

You could try using the Audyssey mic from your old receiver...worth a shot.
post #7599 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
1. I will give that a try in the morning. I do have the Audyssey app so I could I alternatively do the first 3 positions on a new cal to get the trim right, then just cancel out and apply it to my existing calibration I did with all positions measured, could I not?

2. I use the internal ones because it's easier to instantly adjust them. (Not that I am trying to be lazy or anything.) I actually didn't know the test tones mattered that much. I actually do have a disc with actual Test tones, its a Dolby Atmos disc. So I would be better off using that?

I honestly didn't know the levels Audyssey read are that good. What it gave me and what I found by using the AVR's test tone and my RS SPL Meter were exact is some cases and way off in others.

If you don't mind me sharing: (Numbers are Audyssey then my adjustment)

Front L -1.0 to same
Front R -1.0 to 0.0
Center -5.0 to -3.0
Surround L -1.5 to same
Surround R - 5.0 to same
Front Height L -0.5 to -2.5
Front Height R -0.5 to -3.0
Rear Height L -4.0 to same
Rear Height R -4.0 to -4.5

Typing those out I guess the difference isnt that drastic. Felt like more when I was adjusting them. My front heights are a good ways away. Actually surprised I would of turned them down so much. What causes these descrepencies? If I was to do mine adjustments again with proper test tones would I discover all the numbers are closer to Audyssey's findings?

Thanks for your input as well. I enjoy learning this stuff. Could you point me to where it mentions in the Audyssey thread about adjust (Or rather not adjusting) the levels? Likewise in the subwoofer thread?

Thank you both!

EDIT. I found the information about level adjusting in the Audyssey FAQ so nevermind that one. Very informative!
Are you using a "C" weighted SPL meter?

Yes, the SPL with/without the Audyssey EQ filters in place can vary that much. You can verify with the external tones, but Audyssey usually gets the trims pretty much spot-on. When using external test tones, make sure you turn off DEQ, DynVol and any "DSP" surround modes.
post #7600 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Voices on "the TV"? Is it only one source (cable box) that sounds bad, or is it all sources?

You could try using the Audyssey mic from your old receiver...worth a shot.
All sources, dvd or sat box. I did try the old mike last night and it was an improvement. I think I still need to play with speaker placement and mic placement some more. Also the camera tripod I was using isn’t the greatest so I am going to give it a shot using a mic stand.
Alan P likes this.
post #7601 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The front speakers actually have oval ports on the bottom facing forward. Do you think that will still cause issues? I have the, pulled out about 1-2 inches past the wall and entertainment center. I just noticed the pictures are upside down!
Only one way to find out. Pull them outside of the Cutout. It's just temporary and to determine how much of an impact that cubby is having on the sound. If it does not sound way better, then you put them right back. Nothing lost but a few mins of time and effort. But pulling the Center out and placing on floor aiming up at MLC will most likely improve vocal imaging and clarity.

You are getting a lot of advice all at the same time. So, I will pull back and just follow your progress. I don't want to muddy up the information your getting from others. Good luck. But my best guess is placing the speakers inside that cut out is causing all sorts of boundary and echo issues!
mthomas47 and Jeepndoogs like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.

Last edited by Adamg (Ret-Navy); 01-14-2020 at 12:04 PM.
post #7602 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 379 Post(s)
Quoted: 5665 Post(s)
Liked: 11242
Quote:

Hi,

I think that Adam's right about pulling your speakers out of the alcove. I have seen that cause problems before. There are really two problems. First, mid and high frequencies radiate outward from the drivers in a cone shape. So, some of those sound waves are hitting the side walls of the alcove creating distortion.

Second, mid-range and lower frequencies, especially below about 500Hz, radiate somewhat omnidirectionally, and most speaker cabinets are thinner in the back. So, frequencies radiate backward hitting back and side walls, of an alcove, and creating first reflection issues. Audyssey will try to EQ early reflections, but the results can be erratic sometimes.

I also like Adam's suggestion to try to find a way to get your center channel under the TV and pointing-up slightly. It isn't that you don't have it pointed toward your ears. It's also that sound from that speaker is reflecting off the table, and the floor, in front of your listening position. The table is another first reflection point. (You could try covering the table with something, and that would be a good idea anyway, but I don't think it will completely solve the problem.)

You would really like to have the speaker lower, in relation to your seated position if possible, and not angled quite as much. When you said that you could sometimes hear voices that sounded as if they were coming from the CC, rather than from the TV, that was another clue to that speaker location. Our brains are pretty good about creating audio illusions for us, but when a speaker is up high and pointed down, the illusion that voices are coming from the characters on the screen doesn't seem to work as well.

In addition to the other calibration recommendations you have gotten, I would suggest trying a relatively small microphone pattern. Audyssey usually achieves its best results when we give it a pretty uniform listening area to work with. The further away you get from the MLP (defined as mic position 1) the less uniform the listening area becomes. I think that is especially the case for higher frequencies.

You are really trying to control first reflection points, that are more or less on a line with your main listening position. The better job of that you do, the easier it will be for Audyssey to give you a good mid and high-frequency EQ response. Once you have gotten a calibration you like, it's a good idea to write down (or draw) your mic positions, so that you can repeat that calibration later. An example of a mic pattern that works well for some people can be found in Section I-B of the Guide linked in my signature.

Incidentally, I think you said you were listening with Dynamic volume on. That can help sometimes, when you are trying not to disturb sleeping children, or something along those lines, because it normalizes the volume within a specific loudness range. But, it does that via a form of compression. I believe that you are likely to get better sound quality if you turn that feature off, except when you really need to use it.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 01-14-2020 at 12:37 PM.
post #7603 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Are you using a "C" weighted SPL meter?

Yes, the SPL with/without the Audyssey EQ filters in place can vary that much. You can verify with the external tones, but Audyssey usually gets the trims pretty much spot-on. When using external test tones, make sure you turn off DEQ, DynVol and any "DSP" surround modes.
Yeah, it's C weighted. It's a Radio Shack One.

I made a copy of my Audyssey Calibration with the MultiEQ app and reverted back to Audyssey's levels. Going to give them a try for awhile. In looking at the FAQ, I had no idea how accurate it's level matching is. I'm happy to trust it now.
post #7604 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 150
After a little more fiddling around I’ve discovered that the inbuilt AVR Audyssey is giving me more legible dialogue from the centre ch. I’m not sure why but even my wife said the same tonight.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.
post #7605 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1. You must re-run Audyssey. You can do just the first 3 mic positions and "Calculate". Once you get the sub trim within the acceptable range, you can then run the full Audyssey calibration.
I re-ran it a short time ago using 3 calibrations just enough to get the sub trim better. I got it down to a -5.0 trim but boy did I have to turn my sub waaaay down. I had it at 12 o'clock, but now it's a hair below 9 o'clock. I know Audyssey is just trying to level match but the sub is close to off at this point. But at least I got the trim do a better number.

I noticed my 3 position results were quite different than my full 8 position results. For example, it read my surrounds as crossed over much lower than usual. Is that simply a result of only using 3 positions?
post #7606 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I re-ran it a short time ago using 3 calibrations just enough to get the sub trim better. I got it down to a -5.0 trim but boy did I have to turn my sub waaaay down. I had it at 12 o'clock, but now it's a hair below 9 o'clock. I know Audyssey is just trying to level match but the sub is close to off at this point. But at least I got the trim do a better number.

I noticed my 3 position results were quite different than my full 8 position results. For example, it read my surrounds as crossed over much lower than usual. Is that simply a result of only using 3 positions?
Hi zeonstar,

The really low sub gain for level matching is consistent for all of us. I almost have to turn my subs off. Weird right? But once the cal is complete just crank the sub gains back up to your preference. I go from 2of20 to achieve level matching to 10 or 11 of20 post cal adjustment. Inherent insanity of what we call attaining negative AVR sub trim numbers.
mthomas47 likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #7607 of 7630 Old 01-14-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I have seen Audyssey set different crossovers depending on sub trim and/or amount of subs.
post #7608 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi guys!
How do you proceed when doing match leveling using external sources (like a PC for instance)?

Do you run a 75/80db's signal and disconnect/connect the speakers? One by one?
Thanks

Last edited by Edi-MC; 01-15-2020 at 05:08 AM.
post #7609 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi-MC View Post
Hi guys!
How do you proceed when doing match leveling using external sources (like a PC for instance)?

Do you run a 75/80db's signal and disconnect/connect the speakers? One by one?
Thanks
You can download test tones from Dolby's website that cycles through all channels. They are recorded at 85dB so volume on the AVR at 0 would correlate. Your meter is likely not calibrated so it might read like 83 or 87 for example..I wouldn't worry about that, just as long as they are balanced.

Depending on your meter rating, the LFE/subwoofer is the most iffy. Most meters are rated for only like 40hz but the readings jump around more.
post #7610 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Quote:

Hi zeonstar,

The really low sub gain for level matching is consistent for all of us. I almost have to turn my subs off. Weird right? But once the cal is complete just crank the sub gains back up to your preference. I go from 2of20 to achieve level matching to 10 or 11 of20 post cal adjustment. Inherent insanity of what we call attaining negative AVR sub trim numbers.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
Good to know my sub having to be so low is normal. What is your technique to get your sub back how you like it? I know a lot of people use music but does that work even when 99% of ones usage is movies?
post #7611 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 379 Post(s)
Quoted: 5665 Post(s)
Liked: 11242
Quote:
Good to know my sub having to be so low is normal. What is your technique to get your sub back how you like it? I know a lot of people use music but does that work even when 99% of ones usage is movies?

Hi,

It might work, depending on the listener and on the type of music, but personally I would use a movie with a lot of low-bass content. One of the questions that people talk about a lot is whether one bass setting works best for all listening content. For some people, it does, for others, not so much. Unless you are certain that your low-bass preferences will be the same for both music and for movies, I would use movies to set my subwoofer gain and trim levels, post-calibration. And, where your use is 99% movies, I would definitely do that.

My personal method is to use a movie which sort of makes me want to push the envelope. Then, I will use a combination of sub gain and AVR trim to get to about -5 or -6, after the calibration. In theory, that should be about the highest I will ever want to go. Being at about -6 works well for me, because it still leaves me a decibel or two that I can go up, with my AVR remote, even on a movie with a lot of bass. And, it also leaves me plenty of room to go down, by several decibels, when I'm just not in the mood for that much bass. So, that's one approach.

The idea of using music to determine AVR settings works better for me, for everything except low-bass. We hear (and concentrate on what we hear) a little better, I think, when we are listening to music. So, I use some familiar music to determine whether I have a good calibration, and to experiment with Audyssey Flat versus Audyssey. The combination of DEQ and subwoofer boost, on the other hand, is probably easier to test with movies, due to its low-bass boost. But, there is some YMMV with all of this.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 01-15-2020 at 02:40 PM.
post #7612 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Quote:

Hi,

It might work, depending on the listener and on the type of music, but personally I would use a movie with a lot of low-bass content. One of the questions that people talk about a lot is whether one bass setting works best for all listening content. For some people, it does, for others, not so much. Unless you are certain that your low-bass preferences will be the same for both music and for movies, I would use movies to set my subwoofer gain and trim levels, post-calibration. And, where your use is 99% movies, I would definitely do that.

My personal method is to use a movie which sort of makes me want to push the envelope. Then, I will use a combination of sub gain and AVR trim to get to about -5 or -6, after the calibration. In theory, that should be about the highest I will ever want to go. Being at about -6 works well for me, because it still leaves me a decibel or two that I can go up, with my AVR remote, even on a movie with a lot of bass. And, it also leaves me plenty of room to go down, by several decibels, when I'm just not in the mood for that much bass. So, that's one approach.

The idea of using music to determine AVR settings works better for me, for everything except low-bass. We hear (and concentrate on what we hear) a little better, I think, when we are listening to music. So, I use some familiar music to determine whether I have a good calibration, and to experiment with Audyssey Flat versus Audyssey. The combination of DEQ and subwoofer boost, on the other hand, is probably easier to test with movies, due to its low-bass boost. But, there is some YMMV with all of this.

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike

Thank you for that. Very informative.

So I take it each full number up or down on an AVR trim is not equal to a dB. That is good to know.

I was debating having my trim at -5
Or -6 and just having the sub gain up a bit more. Currently my pb-2000 is exactly at 50%. I don’t know if that is typical or low or high. It had a good amp, I suppose I might as well use it.

Could you recommend some movies with good bass like you mentioned? Anything I can think of only has moments of bass, where I feel it would be hard to make adjustments.

Thanks.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #7613 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mike

So I take it each full number up or down on an AVR trim is not equal to a dB. That is good to know.

Or -6 and just having the sub gain up a bit more. Currently my pb-2000 is exactly at 50%. I don’t know if that is typical or low or high. It had a good amp, I suppose I might as well use it.

Could you recommend some movies with good bass like you mentioned? Anything I can think of only has moments of bass, where I feel it would be hard to make adjustments.

Thanks.
Aquaman, basically the entire movie...haha. But more specifically towards the end when he gets the trident and faces the huge monster, it's literally nothing but chest pounding bass (almost too much). Shortly after he is victorious and emerges from the waterfall to nicole kidman's character and the music is pumping, there's some reaaaaaallly low frequencies where the first time I watched it I didn't even know what it was but my body felt a little funny (beyond the typical subtle tactile feel I usually feel through the sofa) but I couldn't really hear anything.

The John Wick club scene has nice various types of bass too from the different guns, room environments (basement locker room with the bass digging deep at some points) and punches thrown etc. When he pulls out the big gun, and fires in slow-mo, there's nice impactful bass.

World War Z, during the Israel camp overrun. It starts slowly, but as the intensity and action pick up, there's various money shot styles of bass. From the swarm bundling up against the doors, the heavy machine gun fire from the helos, a grenade by suicide blasting the cage barrier, the bus overturning, the music thumping bass when the z's are pressed against the jail bars, assault rifles on the balcony, and the ultimate grenade in the stairwell (the second one) that shakes my windows and feels like an earthquake. This last one will strain your sub as it's like a full frequency sweep at volume!

Logan, when Pearce shows up to get Laura at the compound...after she tosses the decapitated head there's some gunfire returned with nice subtle low end thumps. The rest of the scene has various bass or LFE as they shoot or get thrown against the ground. There's a nice low end scene as the limo is racing away and crashes through the fence

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series

Last edited by pbz06; 01-15-2020 at 03:59 PM.
post #7614 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=zeonstar;59104810]So I take it each full number up or down on an AVR trim is not equal to a dB. That is good to know. /QUOTE]

Ummm, yes it is.
Alan P, mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.

Bill
post #7615 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=bluesky636;59105144]
Quote:
So I take it each full number up or down on an AVR trim is not equal to a dB. That is good to know. /QUOTE]

Ummm, yes it is.
Sorry my mistake then. By Mike’s wording I understood that each level up or down was not an actual decibel. If it is, then that is simpler.
garygarrison likes this.
post #7616 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Quote:
Hi Mike

Or -6 and just having the sub gain up a bit more. Currently my pb-2000 is exactly at 50%. I don’️t know if that is typical or low or high. It had a good amp, I suppose I might as well use it.

Thanks.
Aquaman, basically the entire movie...haha. But more specifically towards the end when he gets the trident and faces the huge monster, it's literally nothing but chest pounding bass (almost too much). Shortly after he is victorious and emerges from the waterfall to nicole kidman's character and the music is pumping, there's some reaaaaaallly low frequencies where the first time I watched it I didn't even know what it was but my body felt a little funny (beyond the typical subtle tactile feel I usually feel through the sofa) but I couldn't really hear anything.

The John Wick club scene has nice various types of bass too from the different guns, room environments (basement locker room with the bass digging deep at some points) and punches thrown etc. When he pulls out the big gun, and fires in slow-mo, there's nice impactful bass.

World War Z, during the Israel camp overrun. It starts slowly, but as the intensity and action pick up, there's various money shot styles of bass. From the swarm bundling up against the doors, the heavy machine gun fire from the helos, a grenade by suicide blasting the cage barrier, the bus overturning, the music thumping bass when the z's are pressed against the jail bars, assault rifles on the balcony, and the ultimate grenade in the stairwell (the second one) that shakes my windows and feels like an earthquake. This last one will strain your sub as it's like a full frequency sweep at volume!

Logan, when Pearce shows up to get Laura at the compound...after she tosses the decapitated head there's some gunfire returned with nice subtle low end thumps. The rest of the scene has various bass or LFE as they shoot or get thrown against the ground. There's a nice low end scene as the limo is racing away and crashes through the fence [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Awesome thank you. I have all those movies except World War Z. I’ll have to play around with Them. I only have Logan on Blu-Ray but I don't imagine that would matter for the sake of bass.

Do you have a favorite among those? (For bass testing that is.)
post #7617 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome thank you. I have all those movies except World War Z. I’ll have to play around with Them. I only have Logan on Blu-Ray but I don't imagine that would matter for the sake of bass.

As long as it's the disc, should be the same quality (between UHD and regular Blu-ray). Both are lossless.

Well I like those equally for bass testing, haha. They cover different types of bass and even bass that's part of music. Other movies like Overlord are fun too, but there's so much going on that it's almost overload. The demo scenes I usually test have enough room to breathe and listen for things. I actually use World War Z the most since it's longer scene. I also use the above to listen to vocals, music, general dynamics too. Logan is good to test the treble also, since the blades make a harsh sound and Laura screams a lot while fighting. It can get fatiguing (the movie is a little harsher in general as well).

I usually test in order: World War Z, John Wick, Logan, and Aquaman. Forgot to mention Fury too..the scene where the tanks are marching across the field to rescue pinned soldiers, you literally feel the couch vibrating with each machine gun bullet and tank shell firing.
Matt2026 likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #7618 of 7630 Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Quote:
Awesome thank you. I have all those movies except World War Z. I’️ll have to play around with Them. I only have Logan on Blu-Ray but I don't imagine that would matter for the sake of bass.

As long as it's the disc, should be the same quality (between UHD and regular Blu-ray). Both are lossless.

Well I like those equally for bass testing, haha. They cover different types of bass and even bass that's part of music. Other movies like Overlord are fun too, but there's so much going on that it's almost overload. The demo scenes I usually test have enough room to breathe and listen for things. I actually use World War Z the most since it's longer scene. I also use the above to listen to vocals, music, general dynamics too. Logan is good to test the treble also, since the blades make a harsh sound and Laura screams a lot while fighting. It can get fatiguing (the movie is a little harsher in general as well).

I usually test in order: World War Z, John Wick, Logan, and Aquaman. Forgot to mention Fury too..the scene where the tanks are marching across the field to rescue pinned soldiers, you literally feel the couch vibrating with each machine gun bullet and tank shell firing.
I forgot to ask are these scenes long enough where you can just play them and adjust or do you rewatch a bunch of times?
post #7619 of 7630 Old 01-16-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:

Quote:
I forgot to ask are these scenes long enough where you can just play them and adjust or do you rewatch a bunch of times?
Hi zeonstar,

For more than you may ever what to know about Movies with Bass and how they actually Measure. Go here and start reading this thread. All the information you could want or need. It's a great resource.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post51057089
mthomas47, pbz06 and garygarrison like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #7620 of 7630 Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:

Quote:
Hi zeonstar,

For more than you may ever what to know about Movies with Bass and how they actually Measure. Go here and start reading this thread. All the information you could want or need. It's a great resource.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post51057089
Thanks. I actually have seen that thread. Never occurred to me to use it for this though. Haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page