"Official" Audyssey thread Part II - Page 285 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45688Likes

post #8521 of 8585 Old 06-28-2020, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Or maybe there's nothing to change beyond the user interface and customization. Their proprietary tech is probably at its peak and the science is the same as 10 years ago so not sure what they would change at this point to stay within same price point of receivers which likely are the limiting factor.
I'm sure that improvements could be made. They could probably further increase filter resolution with our smartphones now at its disposal. I am sure there are diminishing returns there. They could continue to work on its interface, adding advanced functionality for curve editing.

Price is definitely a factor in sticking with it. When you get an XT32 capable AVR from Denon/Marantz, you are getting a lot more AVR for your money than for example an AVR running Dirac, because the Dirac license fee is considerable. Just look at the cost of Arcams.

what there is no right is that the mid-range and flagship have the same correction!

and the app is very improvable since what you modify you cannot see in real time if you have improved those peaks or valleys.

Is it so hard to make a PC program that competes with Dirac for the most demanding?

Even a regular user has created a PC program that improves the app since editing the curve in the app becomes insufferable ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 8585 Old 06-28-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteranz View Post
Another thing that I do not see fair is the users who pay more for the top of the range that incorporate the same room correction as their older brothers ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteranz View Post
what there is no right is that the mid-range and flagship have the same correction!
Pushing down the tech to the mid-tier models so that the masses can get good sound does not in any way diminish your experience.
drh3b likes this.

System 1: Samsung Plasma | Denon X4500H | Hypex Ncore NC252MP | Buchardt S400 | Polk LSiM 702 F/X | Heights TBD | Subs TBD Rythmik
System 2: Laptop | NAD T758 v3 | PSB Imagine B
System 3: PC | Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624
post #8523 of 8585 Old 06-28-2020, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have to agree that Denon has been pretty complacent with Audyssey, but so have others. Yamaha still doesn't touch the base in any meaningful way and is a bit hit and miss with many aspects of the RoomEQ in General. Onkyo and Pioneer cannot seem to get their act together either, so why should Denon really try.
And to be fair...Audyssey does do a good job, although it tends.to sound a bit thin and harsh right after measuring, and the Dynamic EQ Feature sadly still destroys the Surround Balance which you still can't turn off, even with the app. So...ses, there is plenty of room for improvement, but I fear Denon just doesn't see the need to invest right jow since the competition isn't really doing much either. Yamaha managed a surprise with their Surround:AI which is actually great, but they haven't updated it in any meaningful way since it was introduced in 2018...
JD23, Darvis and mik2h like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8524 of 8585 Old 06-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Hi

I think Denon/Marantz should stick with Audyssey since there is such a huge support community, plenty of users are very happy with Audyssey as it is, App or no App.
But there is some changes that I think would or could improve the system to another level.
As @Soulburner has pointed out, the App is in itself a upgrade over XT32 since it's opens up some much more possibilities to what can be done.
There are three changes I would like to see going forward.

1) The Tone control can only be used globally for left and right speaker, the center could be added to this. This would be a easy one to add.

2) The Curve editor on the App has huge potential that hasn't been taken fully utilized by the App or implemented badly, We have seen what can be done with this with the program Ratbuddy and hoe close one can get to Dirac with this tool.
A)So they could develop a Pc program to give users more control over this function.
B)Or In the the App have other preset target curves that the user can choose from rather than flat (Harman Curves or something similar). This could be a simpler approach and keeping it simple which is one of the goals I think of Audyssey.

3) Dynamic EQ. I think they could have more options on what DEQ does, for example turn off the boost in surrounds.

In the new 2020 Denon's I noticed that you can have two different calibrations saved on the AVR and can switch on the fly, like Daytime or Nighttime mode. So it looks like they are moving forward.

I think the core of XT32 is solid as a rock and appeals both to power users and new users alike. So the App for me is where it's at in terms of moving forward for Audyssey

So this my 2cents on what could be done to improve upon Audysseys system

Jim
MarkyM, JD23, mthomas47 and 1 others like this.
post #8525 of 8585 Old 06-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoes View Post
Hi

I think Denon/Marantz should stick with Audyssey since there is such a huge support community, plenty of users are very happy with Audyssey as it is, App or no App.
But there is some changes that I think would or could improve the system to another level.
As @Soulburner has pointed out, the App is in itself a upgrade over XT32 since it's opens up some much more possibilities to what can be done.
There are three changes I would like to see going forward.

1) The Tone control can only be used globally for left and right speaker, the center could be added to this. This would be a easy one to add.

2) The Curve editor on the App has huge potential that hasn't been taken fully utilized by the App or implemented badly, We have seen what can be done with this with the program Ratbuddy and hoe close one can get to Dirac with this tool.
A)So they could develop a Pc program to give users more control over this function.
B)Or In the the App have other preset target curves that the user can choose from rather than flat (Harman Curves or something similar). This could be a simpler approach and keeping it simple which is one of the goals I think of Audyssey.

3) Dynamic EQ. I think they could have more options on what DEQ does, for example turn off the boost in surrounds.

In the new 2020 Denon's I noticed that you can have two different calibrations saved on the AVR and can switch on the fly, like Daytime or Nighttime mode. So it looks like they are moving forward.

I think the core of XT32 is solid as a rock and appeals both to power users and new users alike. So the App for me is where it's at in terms of moving forward for Audyssey

So this my 2cents on what could be done to improve upon Audysseys system

Jim

totally agree with you in all those little arrangements audyseey could compete even more in what I do not agree is that the others have not done anything !!

Why look at yamaha, onkyo that I never valued for his eq and do not look at what arcam or nad are doing?

My usual question and that nobody solves me is when they talk about nad or arcam sound incredible in stereo and cinema with a clarity and cleanliness that they had never heard, that is caused thanks to dirac or the technology of both brands?

because internally in electronics I do not see better an arcam avr850 of a denon avc x8500h !!

that's why if the app were more like dirac, denon / marantz would gain even more fans since its users almost don't care about placing the mic and measuring since they have many whistles, options in a box ...

but we who seek perfection see that audyseey is limited and on the phone it costs god to edit something!

by the way I don't know why if I limit the eq to 500hz it sounds better to me than if I leave it at 20,000hz and I've done all kinds of tests as soon as I upload it to the reference level, the highs start to sound pretty bad and bright ..
post #8526 of 8585 Old 06-28-2020, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Same here. It really depends on your speakers and your room.
post #8527 of 8585 Old 06-28-2020, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I have to agree that Denon has been pretty complacent with Audyssey, but so have others. Yamaha still doesn't touch the base in any meaningful way and is a bit hit and miss with many aspects of the RoomEQ in General. Onkyo and Pioneer cannot seem to get their act together either, so why should Denon really try.
And to be fair...Audyssey does do a good job, although it tends.to sound a bit thin and harsh right after measuring, and the Dynamic EQ Feature sadly still destroys the Surround Balance which you still can't turn off, even with the app. So...ses, there is plenty of room for improvement, but I fear Denon just doesn't see the need to invest right jow since the competition isn't really doing much either. Yamaha managed a surprise with their Surround:AI which is actually great, but they haven't updated it in any meaningful way since it was introduced in 2018...
I disagree with the thin and harsh, and destroying surround balance parts it's strictly a YMMV scenario that depends on your preferences, tastes, equipment, and room.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #8528 of 8585 Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well, of course every room and every pair of ears is different. My room is a dedicated HT, with plenty of room treatment in place. I originally had the X4300 down there, and it was fine, but the sound was a bit "straining" to my ears. Also, I always had to adjust the Side Surrounds, Rears and Top Rears because they were too loud. I usually listen at around -20 to -25db, and that means DynEQ boosts the mentioned Speakers quite a bit. If some Speakers are suddenly 4-5db louder than the rest you will notice. This might be beneficial in Movies with very sparse effects coming from those Speakers, but with an active Surround Stage and even more so with Games, it just meant the rear portion of the Sound overpowered the Fronts.
I move to the Yamaha RX-A3080 then, and after I got an AntiMode to take care of Subwoofer EQ it was fine. I still miss the stronger Bass Boost Denon offers, and would love to go back to XT32, but the fact that it interferes far too strongly with Surround balance is keeping me away for now.
Of course I can manually lower the Volume on the boosted Speakers, hut applying a static offset to a dynamic system is never ideal...
pbz06 likes this.
post #8529 of 8585 Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That sucks. I just reduce the surrounds by about -2 to -3. It's not perfect, but it's close, and I do not think it's an issue worth changing to a completely different brand.
garygarrison likes this.

System 1: Samsung Plasma | Denon X4500H | Hypex Ncore NC252MP | Buchardt S400 | Polk LSiM 702 F/X | Heights TBD | Subs TBD Rythmik
post #8530 of 8585 Old 06-29-2020, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
See how much the system brings up the treble on these speakers? It makes my tonally neutral speakers sound really bright and harsh. The natural downward sloping in-room response (not speaker response) is very natural sounding in the typical home room. Without the app I would have no way of taking advantage of Audyssey's great bass EQ capabilities and still prevent it from ruining the rest of the range. "Flat" has even less HF roll-off.

Dirac has the same problem but to a slightly lesser degree. I have to tame its default target curve a bit, too.

Now, I do have experience with a pair of speakers that benefited from the "Flat" profile. Those are the RBH R5Bi's which are known for having a very rolled-off tweeter. They need the boost that Flat gives them. Note, the predicted graph does not show that Audyssey makes all speakers measure the same. It is just wishful thinking. In reality, the Flat profile on the R5Bi's help those tweeters just reach an acceptable level, while it utterly destroys your ears if you try it on the Buchardts. YMMV
You can like what you like, but I can't say I agree with some of your wording. Your Buchardt's look more rolled off than follow a Harman curve, at least in your room. They are down roughly 8 dB by 20 KHz. A Harman curve usually slopes gently down from bass to treble, not flat at the bass region then sloping down after that. Audyssey Reference still has some roll off, but maybe not as much as you prefer. That straight line is an approximation of expected results - don't take it as gospel. You'd have to measure with REW to how much Audyssey "boosted" your higher frequencies. Audyssey is doing exactly as it's intended to - give a relatively flat response across the spectrum. Of course your room, your speakers, your preference... but Audyssey isn't doing anything wrong. Fortunately the app exists so you can tailor the sound to your liking, but you have a number of posts making it sound like Audyssey makes every speaker harsh.
post #8531 of 8585 Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never said it makes every speaker harsh. In fact it's just the opposite if you've seen some recent posts either in this thread or the MultEQ app thread, I can't remember which. An example was shown of a system which wasn't affected nearly as much as mine.

Room size, especially the width and the speakers proximity to side walls plays a role in the high frequency roll-off. Why? Because imagine that in a very large room, all you're getting is direct sound. Direct, on-axis sound from most speakers tends to be the "brightest" in terms of frequency response.

In contrast, in a small room, if early reflections are a large component of what you're hearing, the in-room response will show that. Off-axis sound is lower in level. This is why Audyssey provides a "Flat" target for those who want it.

Another thing to consider is my above average hearing sensitivity. I can't handle a lot of treble, so many speakers sound bright to me.

All that said, I'm far from done tweaking. I plan to try different toe angles, including direct-facing, hoping I don't lose too much soundstage. I also plan to use Ratbuddsey to customize the target. It may end up in failure or I may end up liking it.
pbz06 likes this.
post #8532 of 8585 Old 07-01-2020, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just did a new calibration due to recently adding some acoustic panels and closing the door to my theatre. Everything went ok but my sub 1 level was set to -12 from approximately -2 on previous eq’s. Is it possible that the panels and closing the door affect the levels that much or should I run another eq? Maybe a dumb question but could I just set it higher later to my liking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8533 of 8585 Old 07-01-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 7115 Post(s)
Liked: 6987
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy632 View Post
Just did a new calibration due to recently adding some acoustic panels and closing the door to my theatre. Everything went ok but my sub 1 level was set to -12 from approximately -2 on previous eq’s. Is it possible that the panels and closing the door affect the levels that much or should I run another eq? Maybe a dumb question but could I just set it higher later to my liking

How close is the subwoofer to the door opening? A gain of over +10dB would be unusual from just closing a door, but I suppose it is possible. Are you sure you did not adjust the gain on the sub between the two calibrations?

The panels will cause the dB level to drop, not rise.

Yes, you need to reduce the gain on your sub and re-run Audyssey. -12dB is the lower limit of the adjustment range so you do not know if it wanted to set it at exactly -12, or -15, or -20, etc.

Ideally, you want it to return a level of -11.5dB to allow for maximum headroom in case you like running your sub "hot", but anything in the -11.5 to -9.0 range should be acceptable.
garygarrison and Matt2026 like this.

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
post #8534 of 8585 Old 07-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
How close is the subwoofer to the door opening? A gain of over +10dB would be unusual from just closing a door, but I suppose it is possible. Are you sure you did not adjust the gain on the sub between the two calibrations?

The panels will cause the dB level to drop, not rise.

Yes, you need to reduce the gain on your sub and re-run Audyssey. -12dB is the lower limit of the adjustment range so you do not know if it wanted to set it at exactly -12, or -15, or -20, etc.

Ideally, you want it to return a level of -11.5dB to allow for maximum headroom in case you like running your sub "hot", but anything in the -11.5 to -9.0 range should be acceptable.

Yes it is as you walk in the doorway in right rear corner of room. Weird thing is I used the app and it asks to adjust the volume which it is in the green area and i did use a meter which read 73db. I will re run again and see what happens. Thanks for the tips

post #8535 of 8585 Old 07-02-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy632 View Post

The fact that the sub is near the door means that you were losing a lot of pressure very close to the sub. That would have a significant effect on the level of measurements taken at the listening position.

Alan P said that he thought the panels would cause the levels at the listening position to drop, not rise. Since we're talking bass levels, I'm not so certain. You didn't say where the panels were placed but If they were placed in locations where they act to minimise room modes they might actually increase the level of measurements of the sub taken at the listening position. When panels reduce the level of bass modes they certainly do reduce the severity of the pressurisation peak of the sound wave so if you measure in a high pressure area the measurement will be lower, but they also increase the level of pressure at the low point of the sound wave by the same amount as they reduce the pressure at the maximum point of the wave. When you damp resonances, which is what acoustic treatments do with room modes, you reduce the pressure at the top of the pressurisation half of the wave cycle and increase the pressure at the peak of the rarefaction half of the pressure cycle equally. That means that if you're sitting in a low pressure area in the room the sound pressure level/meter reading will actually increase with the installation of the acoustic treatment. How much it will increase will depend on just where you're sitting because there is a pressure gradient involved. If you play a test tone at a modal frequency and move around your room while the tone is playing you should see the meter showing an increase and decrease in level as you move around different parts of the room.

So, being able to close the door will definitely produce an increase in the sub's level compared to it's level with the door open. If your acoustic panels are having an effect at bass frequencies they could also have an effect on measurements taken at the listening position with the measurements reducing if the listening position is in a high pressure zone within the room and increasing if it is in a low pressure part of the room where you are effectively sitting in a partial null zone.
Alan P likes this.
post #8536 of 8585 Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I just had the family leave the house for a bit so decided to run a new calibration! I've been having issues with hearing my centre channel properly, even after increasing volume so just wedged it up to further to point towards my ears. Thought a new calibration was in order.

Dual Subs (SVS PB2000) - When I plugged in the mic (Denon X3500H) and Audyssey kicked off, I didn't get the 2 individual subwoofer level matching screen that I recall the first time. It just did the speaker level test for all speakers. Is there a way to get this subwoofer level screen to launch again? It was really handy to get each sub gain-matched before the setup. I had actually had my 2nd sub (rear) set to 180 phase as I recall doing some SPL tests and it was much higher volume on 180. This seemed to throw the Audy level tests off and kept asking me to check phase of other speakers. Once I put this back to 0 phase it all passed fine.

Final calibration set the subs to -10 & -9.5. I've boosted them 5db and turned on DEQ to -5. Will give this a run for a while but so far sounds good and the centre channel seems much more prominent and easier to hear now. I'll leave the rear sub phase at 0 for now. I really need a proper mic to test SPL individually and play with the phase again.

From memory, I was playing the intro scene to Ghost in Shell when she shoots through the windows and when I moved the phase from 0, I started to 'feel' the bass in my chest - but SPL dropped slightly. I'll try this scene again with the new settings as a comparison.
post #8537 of 8585 Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As you found, Audyssey XT32 needs your subs to be set to 0 phase/delay before proceeding to get the best result.

It probably didn't do the level matching because they were already good to go.

I don't recommend changing independent sub phase/delay after the subs are aligned, though. You can adjust both delays ("distances") in the AVR together by the same amount to get a better alignment to the speakers, though.
Brettmckinney likes this.

post #8538 of 8585 Old 07-03-2020, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
As you found, Audyssey XT32 needs your subs to be set to 0 phase/delay before proceeding to get the best result.

It probably didn't do the level matching because they were already good to go.

I don't recommend changing independent sub phase/delay after the subs are aligned, though. You can adjust both delays ("distances") in the AVR together by the same amount to get a better alignment to the speakers, though.
Awesome, thanks for confirming! Yep, I'll tweak the distance from 1-4 feet and see what works best. Then should be all good!
post #8539 of 8585 Old 07-04-2020, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just run MultEQ Editor on my Denon X1500H (7.1 system).
Results look very good using REW.
Listened to some music, and the sound was great (default sound mode was Multi Ch Stereo).
However when I changed to other modes such as DTS Neural:X or any of the Dolby Digial modes, it sounded like I had thrown a heavy blanket over my whole system.

Tried some movies with the same result.
Over the years I've heard of other people with this problem, but it's the first time I have experienced such a dramatic difference in the various sound modes.

Any ideas why this is happening?

I mostly watch movies and, as many don't have enhanced sound (DTS, etc.), I usually use Neural:X.
But now that's not an option.
post #8540 of 8585 Old 07-04-2020, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should use the default mode for the format. So that's usually Stereo for 2.0 music and whatever format the movie used: Dolby Digital, True HD, DTS-HD, etc. Do you watch a lot of older movies? If so, try the Dolby Surround mode if you have it.
post #8541 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo
Just run MultEQ Editor on my Denon X1500H (7.1 system).
Results look very good using REW.
Listened to some music, and the sound was great (default sound mode was Multi Ch Stereo).
However when I changed to other modes such as DTS Neural:X or any of the Dolby Digial modes, it sounded like I had thrown a heavy blanket over my whole system.

Tried some movies with the same result.

Over the years I've heard of other people with this problem, but it's the first time I have experienced such a dramatic difference in the various sound modes.

Any ideas why this is happening?

I mostly watch movies and, as many don't have enhanced sound (DTS, etc.), I usually use Neural:X.
But now that's not an option.

Quote:
You should use the default mode for the format. So that's usually Stereo for 2.0 music and whatever format the movie used: Dolby Digital, True HD, DTS-HD, etc. Do you watch a lot of older movies? If so, try the Dolby Surround mode if you have it.

Mike (mthomas47) convinced me to try PL II Music (on Marantz; I don't know what sister company Denon calls it) on some 2 channel music. It works really well on some 2 channel (making it into a simulated 5.1 on my 5.1 system), much better than I would have thought, and on other 2 channel music, Stereo seems to work best. So I try both with a music disk.

... I think Dolby Surround for older movies has been updated into (Dolby) PL II Movie (Pro Logic II Movie), at least on Marantz; I'm not sure what Denon calls it. For two channel stereo sources on movies and TV it works well on my setup. It puts the dialog in the center channel where it belongs, but feeds a variable amount of the music and sound effects to the other channels, with some films and not others. It worked well on Downton Abby, which wouldn't have had the dialogue in the center channel otherwise (our soundstage is 14 feet wide, tweeter center to tweeter center, so a phantom center for dialogue is too broad). Some older movies made 1953 and later have 4 or 6 channel sound, so when we run them we let our equipment pick the mode, which is often DTS Master HD, or Dolby True HD, since they have been remastered to Blu-ray.

Mono older movies are, well, mono. Criterion and others put the dialog in the center (sometimes). I think Denon has a special mode for this, so check manual.

Multi Channel Stereo, page 118 of your manual, (as opposed to Multi Channel In) tends to be exciting, complex and a few dB louder than the other choices (is that what you are hearing?) because it puts a nearly equal amount of the 2 channels of sound in all 5 or 7 channels -- left into all left speakers, right into all right speakers, and the center an equal mix + sub -- good for a party ... a sonic high.

If your player will do SCAD or DVD-A, try multichannel music from these formats. Your AVR or pre-pro will select Multi Channel In (or whatever Denon calls it) for these, with 5 to 7 discrete channels + sub(s). It can be fantastic!
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 07-05-2020 at 01:51 AM.
post #8542 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dolby Surround is the name of the latest (current) Dolby upmixer. It replaced Pro-Logic (those are gone from my X4500H and NAD T758).
garygarrison likes this.
post #8543 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hi All,

I have two sets of Front speakers in my 7.4.4 system that consists of Kef Q900, Q600, Q150 with 4x monoprice 10inch subs and Magnepan LRS for 2.4 that I also use the subs for. AVR is a Marantz AV7702MK2 and I am considering upgrading so I can use the Audyssey app. Currently only the 7.4.4 system is calibrated As I can only have one calibration saved. The Magnepan LRS and subs are slightly equalized but timing issues with the subs exist.

1. Can the Audyssey App allow Storing of two different calibration? One for the KEFs in Atmos and another for the Magnepan in Stereo. Currently I switch the speakers manually by switching the speaker wires via banana plugs.
2. How well can Audyssey calibrate 4 Subs compared to other products? I only have two sub outputs to work with. Currently running 2x backs 2x front subs.
3. In the newer Marantz is everything still downsampled for Audyssey?

I have a very flat response with Audyssey in the atmos side of my system. Would like to kill Audyssey above the transition Frequency For both sets of speakers.

Thanks for any recommendations.
post #8544 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

1. Yes, the app can store many calibrations.
2. Audyssey calibrates two sub channels. If you have more than 2, you may need a MiniDSP to combine them into 2 channels of 2 subs each.
3. The core of Audyssey hasn't changed as far as we know, so yes.
jamesyates likes this.

post #8545 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Dolby Surround is the name of the latest (current) Dolby upmixer. It replaced Pro-Logic (those are gone from my X4500H and NAD T758).

Sorry, I'm out of date!
Soulburner likes this.
post #8546 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Mike (mthomas47) convinced me to try PL II Music (on Marantz; I don't know what sister company Denon calls it) on some 2 channel music. It works really well on some 2 channel (making it into a simulated 5.1 on my 5.1 system), much better than I would have thought, and on other 2 channel music, Stereo seems to work best. So I try both with a music disk.

... I think Dolby Surround for older movies has been updated into (Dolby) PL II Movie (Pro Logic II Movie), at least on Marantz; I'm not sure what Denon calls it. For two channel stereo sources on movies and TV it works well on my setup. It puts the dialog in the center channel where it belongs, but feeds a variable amount of the music and sound effects to the other channels, with some films and not others. It worked well on Downton Abby, which wouldn't have had the dialogue in the center channel otherwise (our soundstage is 14 feet wide, tweeter center to tweeter center, so a phantom center for dialogue is too broad). Some older movies made 1953 and later have 4 or 6 channel sound, so when we run them we let our equipment pick the mode, which is often DTS Master HD, or Dolby True HD, since they have been remastered to Blu-ray.

Mono older movies are, well, mono. Criterion and others put the dialog in the center (sometimes). I think Denon has a special mode for this, so check manual.

Multi Channel Stereo, page 118 of your manual, (as opposed to Multi Channel In) tends to be exciting, complex and a few dB louder than the other choices (is that what you are hearing?) because it puts a nearly equal amount of the 2 channels of sound in all 5 or 7 channels -- left into all left speakers, right into all right speakers, and the center an equal mix + sub -- good for a party ... a sonic high.

If your player will do SCAD or DVD-A, try multichannel music from these formats. Your AVR or pre-pro will select Multi Channel In (or whatever Denon calls it) for these, with 5 to 7 discrete channels + sub(s). It can be fantastic!
Hi Gary, thanks for all the useful info. I'll have to try some of the modes you have suggested.
However, my Denon is the 2019 model, and as Soulburner said, it doesn't have any of the Pro Logic or other older sound modes (my old Onkyo used to have the Pro Logic modes, which I used a lot).
The music I was listening to was a Steve Wilson remix of Chicago II. I inadvertently thought it was multi-track (5.1 or 7.1) and was trying to hear all the channels. I now realise I was wrong - it is stereo.
Looking at my Denon manual (p241), I think my best Sound Modes are:-
"Stereo" for stereo (It will include my sub)
and "Dolby Surround" for my older or downloaded movies. Although, as you said, "Mono" is also an upmixer which can utilise all available speakers.
Obviously my Blu-Ray discs can use their correct sound mode (Dolby, DTS, etc.)
Most of my movies, music, home videos, etc. I have on my HT computer and using Kodi.
Anything I play through my old Blu-Ray player, I just pass straight through and let the AVR do all the processing.
Cheers
Soulburner and garygarrison like this.

Last edited by Nordo; 07-05-2020 at 05:55 PM.
post #8547 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Another question:
After using MultEQ Editor, I have my Centre's trim level set at +6dB. Everything else is 0 or less.
Does this setting effect the power usage in the AVR?
Why I am asking is that I know is not a good thing to try to boost dips, but try to eq your SPL by reducing peaks.
At normal listening I have plenty in reserve in the volume setting, so I am thinking it might be better to reduce all the speaker trims by 6dB. That would get rid of the +6dB trim, but I would have to increase gain with the AVR's volume control.

Any thoughts?
post #8548 of 8585 Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It will not because the speakers are calibrated to produce the same SPL (Sound Pressure Level) at any given volume. So that is your indication of power usage.

What you are thinking of doing will result in a net 0. And, your Master Volume will be off from its calibrated level to reference: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...ference-level/

post #8549 of 8585 Old 07-06-2020, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It will not because the speakers are calibrated to produce the same SPL (Sound Pressure Level) at any given volume. So that is your indication of power usage.

What you are thinking of doing will result in a net 0. And, your Master Volume will be off from its calibrated level to reference: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...ference-level/
Great article. Explains a lot.
I know you can set each channel at 75dB manually, but does Audyssey EQ to reference?
post #8550 of 8585 Old 07-06-2020, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

By calibrating to 75 dB at -30 MV with test tones that are -30 dB from reference (105 db).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , receiver setup , speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page