Panamax M5400-PM VS Furman Sound ELITE-15 PF - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Panamax M5400-PM VS Furman Sound ELITE-15 PF
Pnamax M5400-PM 16 47.06%
Furman Sound ELITE-15 PF 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just bought a panamax 5300. I probably won't use it for another week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 06-09-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
I think a poster before posted about the 5400 having 2 high cap outlets and the 5300 doesn't.
It does, there are 2 x Hi-Cap outlets on the M5300 as well, and they are on the switched bank - you can trigger them with 12V, or have them always active.

Quote:
Jonas, apart from noise which you mentioned might be a sales pitch, why would someone use a conditioner? steady power? protect from surges etc?
Yep, steady power - especially if you are in an area with known issues. I'm not; generally stable in my area, but I've experienced two brown outs, one with a corresponding surge as the power shifted back, and it destroyed a refrigerator where I work. A good surge protector will defend against this (though not sure how good any of these consumer ones would be in something like a direct lightning strike). That's the main thing.

But no, as far as "cleaner sound" or "video" - I don't see or hear any differences on my current gear if they are connected through the Panamax vs. the wall, and Ive tried them both - but I'd rather have the gear connected to the Panamax for the protection! Unfortunately, my subs and main amp are just into the wall, don't have much of a choice.

Of course all of the other small features and conveniences add up - I like having an ammeter, and the courtesy AC and USB outlets on the front panel, etc., etc. There's a lot to like if you can stomach the absurd prices!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #33 of 37 Old 06-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Quote:
I think a poster before posted about the 5400 having 2 high cap outlets and the 5300 doesn't.
It does, there are 2 x Hi-Cap outlets on the M5300 as well, and they are on the switched bank - you can trigger them with 12V, or have them always active.

Quote:
Jonas, apart from noise which you mentioned might be a sales pitch, why would someone use a conditioner? steady power? protect from surges etc?
Yep, steady power - especially if you are in an area with known issues. I'm not; generally stable in my area, but I've experienced two brown outs, one with a corresponding surge as the power shifted back, and it destroyed a refrigerator where I work. A good surge protector will defend against this (though not sure how good any of these consumer ones would be in something like a direct lightning strike). That's the main thing.

But no, as far as "cleaner sound" or "video" - I don't see or hear any differences on my current gear if they are connected through the Panamax vs. the wall, and Ive tried them both - but I'd rather have the gear connected to the Panamax for the protection! Unfortunately, my subs and main amp are just into the wall, don't have much of a choice.

Of course all of the other small features and conveniences add up - I like having an ammeter, and the courtesy AC and USB outlets on the front panel, etc., etc. There's a lot to like if you can stomach the absurd prices!
Why is your sub and amp not connected to the Panamax ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 06-11-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Why is your sub and amp not connected to the Panamax ?
The two subs are nowhere near the AV cabinet, I was super-limited with where I could place them in the room anyway, and I hate running cables everywhere, so had electrician install a 20A circuit for the subs, one outlet on either of opposing walls, and then I dropped XLR cable and added wall connectors for them, and then had the electrician do a separate 20A circuit for the main amplifier. I could actually plug the main amp into the Panamax, it's close enough, but I'm in the school of "plug the amp separately into the wall, preferably on its own circuit"....

Truly necessary? I don't know, probably not, but have read about doing this on numerous occasions, and I'm sure I will never push the amp to what it can do, I'm sure speakers would detonate, but I've got all of the AV gear other than main amp and subs on the Panamax, and that is on a 15A circuit that is shared with 8 other outlets around the house - and I just don't know how much amperage I'm drawing when the outlets (never all 8) are in use at the same time - I might end up popping the breaker. I'd rather not experiment......

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #35 of 37 Old 06-25-2017, 10:04 AM
S6A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can either of these units, which spec at 1,800 W in their literature handle this: http://www.ati-amp.com/AT6000.php, which says 2,400 watts at each outlet?
post #36 of 37 Old 12-07-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6A View Post
Can either of these units, which spec at 1,800 W in their literature handle this: http://www.ati-amp.com/AT6000.php, which says 2,400 watts at each outlet?
Here's the Panamax 5400-PM loaded up and its not even close to drawing at its max capacity on a 15amp circuit.. The 5400-PM is a beast.. To answer your question... It will handle the AT-6004 and below models that run on a 15amp circuit when plugged into either one of the two "High Current" Outlets.

Last edited by Sound & Vision; 12-07-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #37 of 37 Old 07-01-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
***From Furman Power - FYI:

I would go with the Elite-15 DMi.

Our Series Multi-Stage Protection is indeed 100% Series Mode. We use both parallel and series surge suppression. Essentially we tweaked the original series mode design from Bell Laboratories. We use the series mode to protect the parallel TVSS (MOV’s). The MOV’s are used for two reasons. The first is high voltage MOV to protect the relay contacts from oxidization over time. The other is to achieve our low clamping voltage. This is not possible with just series mode as the clamping is dictated primarily by the large capacitor.

The M5300-PM is a great design but it is parallel surge only. For mission critical application and Furman with SMP is where I start. Below is a link to our tech note. You can read the SMP white paper. In fact there is a photo of the SMP circuit which show the large series inductor, large cap and rectifier circuit. All major components for any series mode design.

https://www.furmanpower.com/support/tech-corner

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X6700H & Emotiva XPA-3, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides). Stereo 2 Channel Only - Dali Evidence 470 & MartinLogan Forte Amplifier/Streamer with ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page