Verastarr SSA 644 6-channel amplifier - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Verastarr SSA 644 6-channel amplifier

Does anyone own one of these amps? Hard to find much information on this model. I know its based on a Cinepro design but with upgraded components. Was wondering how it compares with the AB Cinema 6500 amp or is it closer to the 6500SE?

Last edited by lewis; 03-29-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis View Post
Does anyone own one of these amps? Hard to find much information on this model. I know its based on a Cinepro design but with upgraded components. Was wondering how it compares with the AB Cinema 6500 amp or is it closer to the 6500SE?
I would almost agree with that, but its more like the SSA-644 "learned" from the Cinepro design rather then based off of it. The SSA-644 really doesn't compare to other amps as it is more like the standard that the other amps are judged by. What I mean by that is its the Audiophile's 6 channel Home Theater Amp. In my opinion it is the amp that can used to listen to an audiophile 2 channel system while being part of the HT system at the same time whether the speakers are easy to drive or something hard like Appogee Acoustics IE the Class A backed by 440 watts of high current AB when called for. I have several Verastarr Amps.

The 6500SE info I was able to find seems to be designed with the same idea in mind with Class A then pure grunt AB following. Without seeing inside one to see the attention to detail and quality of the parts then listening to one, I can't make a direct comparison. One can't go only by specs IE total watts. A 200 watt amp with massive transformer, power supply capacitive reserve, and loads of available high current to drive hard loads and challenging passages beats a 500 watt per channel Kenwood Amp with only 5 amps of current anyday. Yes one needs watts, but just as music is built on bass, speaker available power is built on available current.

I think it might be hard to find somebody that has listened to both amps much less A-B'd them.

HOME HT: NAD M17 Processor, M27 Amp, Mains Ayre Acoustics MX-R monoblocks, Oppo BDP-105DE, ModWright Transporter, VPI HR-X w/ VTL TP-2.5 II Phono Pre-Amp, Sony VPL600ES, 200" screen Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7, VCC-5, VSM-1, Model 2 rears, 2 subs. BEACH HT: Marantz AV-8802a Processor, Verastarr SSA-644 Amp (mains/center), Studio 6.4 Amp, Oppo BDP-103D, Transporter, VPI Scoutmaster, Runco VX-3000i, 166" screen Speakers: Vandersteen Model 5A Carbon, VCC-5, VSM-1, Model 1 rears, 2 subs
post #3 of 4 Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a photo showing the interior of the 6500SE

[/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW-Transporter View Post
I would almost agree with that, but its more like the SSA-644 "learned" from the Cinepro design rather then based off of it. The SSA-644 really doesn't compare to other amps as it is more like the standard that the other amps are judged by. What I mean by that is its the Audiophile's 6 channel Home Theater Amp. In my opinion it is the amp that can used to listen to an audiophile 2 channel system while being part of the HT system at the same time whether the speakers are easy to drive or something hard like Appogee Acoustics IE the Class A backed by 440 watts of high current AB when called for. I have several Verastarr Amps.

The 6500SE info I was able to find seems to be designed with the same idea in mind with Class A then pure grunt AB following. Without seeing inside one to see the attention to detail and quality of the parts then listening to one, I can't make a direct comparison. One can't go only by specs IE total watts. A 200 watt amp with massive transformer, power supply capacitive reserve, and loads of available high current to drive hard loads and challenging passages beats a 500 watt per channel Kenwood Amp with only 5 amps of current anyday. Yes one needs watts, but just as music is built on bass, speaker available power is built on available current.

I think it might be hard to find somebody that has listened to both amps much less A-B'd them.
My impression is that the 6500SE was designed and built a few years ago while the Verastarr amps were produced almost a decade ago, so it makes sense the 6500 borrowed from the SSA amps. I have seen inside a 644 and it does appear to have some greater attention to detail with respect to internal wiring, which obviously is Verastarr's forte. The toroidal transformer is an absolute beast.

I agree that these amps rarely come on the market for a good reason. People love them.

Last edited by lewis; 03-30-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page