Onkyo PR-RZ5100 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #91 of 111 Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need your opinion.
In my HT setup I would need tu use a double couple of side surrounds speakers for my two rows of seats.

To do this, can I use balanced and unbalanced surround outputs simultaneously on the PR-RZ5100?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 03-24-2019, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I am considering this pre-pro, just a queston to the owners, does this run hot?
post #93 of 111 Old 03-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
I am considering this pre-pro, just a queston to the owners, does this run hot?
Not at all...
DVDMike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 111 Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirado View Post
Not at all...
Thanks, and how is the 2 channel analogue audio quality? Is it on par with the Marantz or Anthem?(has anyone compared?) They say in their marketing material that they use high grade components. 2 channel sound quality is very important to me as I like to listen in "pure direct." There is not many reviews/impressions on this piece anywhere on the web, I am assuming they have fixed all of their HDMI issues, but are there any other issues with this piece? How is the room correction software, I'm sure it probably is not on par with either Dirac or Arc, but is it on par with Audyssey?
post #95 of 111 Old 03-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, and how is the 2 channel analogue audio quality? Is it on par with the Marantz or Anthem?(has anyone compared?) They say in their marketing material that they use high grade components. 2 channel sound quality is very important to me as I like to listen in "pure direct." There is not many reviews/impressions on this piece anywhere on the web, I am assuming they have fixed all of their HDMI issues, but are there any other issues with this piece? How is the room correction software, I'm sure it probably is not on par with either Dirac or Arc, but is it on par with Audyssey?
Long story short (I can give more detail per request) before I settled with the Onkyo I tried at home others including the Anthem (sorry, no Marantz). It was 2 years ago so I can't remember the exact details. My setup was/is a very simple 5.1 and I listen to 50% CD (2 channels) and 50% Movies. Back then I was looking for price/performance but like now I still focus on 2 channel audio quality. Among all these the best 2 channels was the Anthem, no doubt about it. The Onkyo was (well is) a very close second and was way cheaper and AccuEQ was/is good enough for me, back then 'almost' as good as the Audyssey. I'm very happy with my decision.

So far I have no issue with the Onkyo, I love it, for the price was/is the 'sweet spot'. HDMI works fine and switching input is fast enough for me. With latest firmware update I'm able to pass-through 4K 4:4:4 full UHD bandwidth, Dolby Vision, HDR10 & HDR10+ (before I couldn't) from my Amzon FireTV 4K and PC to my Vizio PQ65-F1. Also, to my surprise (it's not in the spec) I'm able to decode DD+ through ARC. I haven't try Dolby Atmos through ARC yet.
post #96 of 111 Old 03-25-2019, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Unhappy

Quote:
I’ve owned the 5100 for about 2.5 weeks. I got it with the intention replacing my denon 6300h which I was using as a preamp. I got a “good deal” on an open box (looked like it handnt been used as everything was still wrapped) The sound in 2 channel or 11 channel is poor. It almost makes my system sound like I was using a $99 receiver. Today, I put the denon back in place and everything sounds great again. The user interface is sub par on the 5100. It has limitations that the denon does not have. I’m sending my 5100 back. It just sounds “bad”.

Vizio M60-D1 | Denon 4300h | 7.3.4 | Oppo DDP-203
post #97 of 111 Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Long story short (I can give more detail per request) before I settled with the Onkyo I tried at home others including the Anthem (sorry, no Marantz). It was 2 years ago so I can't remember the exact details. My setup was/is a very simple 5.1 and I listen to 50% CD (2 channels) and 50% Movies. Back then I was looking for price/performance but like now I still focus on 2 channel audio quality. Among all these the best 2 channels was the Anthem, no doubt about it. The Onkyo was (well is) a very close second and was way cheaper and AccuEQ was/is good enough for me, back then 'almost' as good as the Audyssey. I'm very happy with my decision.

So far I have no issue with the Onkyo, I love it, for the price was/is the 'sweet spot'. HDMI works fine and switching input is fast enough for me. With latest firmware update I'm able to pass-through 4K 4:4:4 full UHD bandwidth, Dolby Vision, HDR10 & HDR10+ (before I couldn't) from my Amzon FireTV 4K and PC to my Vizio PQ65-F1. Also, to my surprise (it's not in the spec) I'm able to decode DD+ through ARC. I haven't try Dolby Atmos through ARC yet.
Thanks, I have the same listening habits. Also, I have a simple 5.2 setup but will be investing in a pair of atmos up firing speakers (I know it's not ideal, but I am in a condo and can't cut into the ceiling). The price/performance ratio is important, but I don't want the problem of "if I only spent a few dollars more" buyers remorse. Problem is that there are very little Onkyo retailers in the whole Toronto area to audition, let alone to take home and audition.
post #98 of 111 Old 03-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMike View Post
I’ve owned the 5100 for about 2.5 weeks. I got it with the intention replacing my denon 6300h which I was using as a preamp. I got a “good deal” on an open box (looked like it handnt been used as everything was still wrapped) The sound in 2 channel or 11 channel is poor. It almost makes my system sound like I was using a $99 receiver. Today, I put the denon back in place and everything sounds great again. The user interface is sub par on the 5100. It has limitations that the denon does not have. I’m sending my 5100 back. It just sounds “bad”.
Gee DVDMike, sorry to hear about that. Maybe there was a problem with that particular unit that's why somebody returned it? By all accounts from the few reviews and owners here, it's a pretty solid performing unit, certainly not as terrible as you've had. That's why I am very skeptical of open box or refurbished units, you just never know I guess, but the potential savings is enticing.
DVDMike likes this.
post #99 of 111 Old 03-25-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Gee DVDMike, sorry to hear about that. Maybe there was a problem with that particular unit that's why somebody returned it? By all accounts from the few reviews and owners here, it's a pretty solid performing unit, certainly not as terrible as you've had. That's why I am very skeptical of open box or refurbished units, you just never know I guess, but the potential savings is enticing.
It’s certainly possible that my individual unit is just defective. I cannot say with any certainty. But it doesn’t show any typical clear indicators of a defect which I might expect. I only played digital sources. Normally, digital conversations are usually perfect or dead or perhaps crackley/noisy. I tried both balanced and unbalanced connections. Both sounded basically the same with the unbalanced seemingly being a few dB’s louder (without measuring). I used 9 of the 11 outputs. The signal level out was fine.

There was no noise. Everything was completely “clean” sounding. The sound was just “dull” as if it had limited dynamics. My mains are a pair of 1992 klipschorns powered by an Adcom 555ii. I’ve never heard them with so little “life” before. Even after manually making eq adjustments at the speaker level, the speakers sounded better but at the same time both “shrill” on the mids/highs and too dull on the lows. And the eq GUI would limit the number of sliders I could change. Is that normal? I thought limiting the number of eq sliders might be a defect.

I knew going in that AirPlay is limited to AirPlay 1. I didn’t know that when you are using it, you have to go deep into the menu system to change the source video feed. This is very cumbersome. And then, there is no way to remove the on-screen block covering part of the screen. I often like to watch sports while listening to streaming music. But part of the screen gets covered up. For some sports, you can’t see the score due to this. When I purchased my denon, it only had AirPlay 1 with no promises of any upgrades, yet they updated it to AirPlay 2 with a free firmware upgrade. This would actually have been a pretty big takeaway for my uses.

There is only 1 trigger out. I knew this limitation going in and since I have some amps that auto sense a signal this was not a huge issue. But really, just 1 on a $2000 unit? I also knew that it was limited to 2 hdmi outputs. Even the mid range denon / marantz receivers have 3. This was another takeaway i used before but could learn to live without.

And then there is the issue of which individual speakers/channels you can adjust the (relative) volume on while listening to an actual source. (You can adjust them all with test tones). Is it operating properly if the only channels you can adjust while listen to an actual recording are the center and 2 subs while even playing 9.2 channels? On the very basic models of denon receivers you can adjust any channel’s volume with ease, yet on a $2000+ preamp I can only adjust the center channel? This would seem defective to me. Is it?

Then there is the fact that you have to actually change the listening mode by actually scrolling through each mode and changing it one by one in a one way circular loop. You can’t just arrow up and select what you want. This is like having a user interface from a 1981 computer before Apple introduced the mouse. And even then you could use a keyboard arrow in most programs.

And then I could never figure out how to engage subwoofer out when listening in stereo mode. All other modes sent signals to the sub except stereo. Perhaps this was my error but I couldn’t ever find out how to do it.

As poor as the GUI is, if the decoded sound was better, or at least as good as my receiver as a preamp, I probably would have been happy enough.

Are my issues with the GUI user error, defect, or normal? Is there a defect with my unit that limits the DR and makes it sound dull? I can’t say without getting my hands on another unit. But at this point, I’m not willing to try another one.

Vizio M60-D1 | Denon 4300h | 7.3.4 | Oppo DDP-203
post #100 of 111 Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I have the same listening habits. Also, I have a simple 5.2 setup but will be investing in a pair of atmos up firing speakers (I know it's not ideal, but I am in a condo and can't cut into the ceiling). The price/performance ratio is important, but I don't want the problem of "if I only spent a few dollars more" buyers remorse. Problem is that there are very little Onkyo retailers in the whole Toronto area to audition, let alone to take home and audition.
I understand very well 'buyer remorse' :-), pity you can't buy one, audition and return if you don't like it like here. I bought mine at https://www.accessories4less.com refurbished at $1,208.98 with 3 years warranty (had 30-money back warranty too). I had a bad experience with previous Denon 4520CI and later with Pioneer SC-81. So the extended warranty was paramount. The Anthem & Yamaha cost more than twice back then, and to my years & setting the Onkyo sounded as good (well, Anthem sounds a little better in 2 channel mode and Yamaha had some fancier DSP movie modes, none of them of my licking).

Again, without being able to audition one, buying one is a very tough call.
post #101 of 111 Old 03-26-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMike View Post
It’s certainly possible that my individual unit is just defective. I cannot say with any certainty. But it doesn’t show any typical clear indicators of a defect which I might expect. I only played digital sources. Normally, digital conversations are usually perfect or dead or perhaps crackley/noisy. I tried both balanced and unbalanced connections. Both sounded basically the same with the unbalanced seemingly being a few dB’s louder (without measuring). I used 9 of the 11 outputs. The signal level out was fine.

There was no noise. Everything was completely “clean” sounding. The sound was just “dull” as if it had limited dynamics. My mains are a pair of 1992 klipschorns powered by an Adcom 555ii. I’ve never heard them with so little “life” before. Even after manually making eq adjustments at the speaker level, the speakers sounded better but at the same time both “shrill” on the mids/highs and too dull on the lows. And the eq GUI would limit the number of sliders I could change. Is that normal? I thought limiting the number of eq sliders might be a defect.

I knew going in that AirPlay is limited to AirPlay 1. I didn’t know that when you are using it, you have to go deep into the menu system to change the source video feed. This is very cumbersome. And then, there is no way to remove the on-screen block covering part of the screen. I often like to watch sports while listening to streaming music. But part of the screen gets covered up. For some sports, you can’t see the score due to this. When I purchased my denon, it only had AirPlay 1 with no promises of any upgrades, yet they updated it to AirPlay 2 with a free firmware upgrade. This would actually have been a pretty big takeaway for my uses.

There is only 1 trigger out. I knew this limitation going in and since I have some amps that auto sense a signal this was not a huge issue. But really, just 1 on a $2000 unit? I also knew that it was limited to 2 hdmi outputs. Even the mid range denon / marantz receivers have 3. This was another takeaway i used before but could learn to live without.

And then there is the issue of which individual speakers/channels you can adjust the (relative) volume on while listening to an actual source. (You can adjust them all with test tones). Is it operating properly if the only channels you can adjust while listen to an actual recording are the center and 2 subs while even playing 9.2 channels? On the very basic models of denon receivers you can adjust any channel’s volume with ease, yet on a $2000+ preamp I can only adjust the center channel? This would seem defective to me. Is it?

Then there is the fact that you have to actually change the listening mode by actually scrolling through each mode and changing it one by one in a one way circular loop. You can’t just arrow up and select what you want. This is like having a user interface from a 1981 computer before Apple introduced the mouse. And even then you could use a keyboard arrow in most programs.

And then I could never figure out how to engage subwoofer out when listening in stereo mode. All other modes sent signals to the sub except stereo. Perhaps this was my error but I couldn’t ever find out how to do it.

As poor as the GUI is, if the decoded sound was better, or at least as good as my receiver as a preamp, I probably would have been happy enough.

Are my issues with the GUI user error, defect, or normal? Is there a defect with my unit that limits the DR and makes it sound dull? I can’t say without getting my hands on another unit. But at this point, I’m not willing to try another one.
Wow, seems like a lot of issues/hassle with this unit. Like you, I can forgive a few idiosyncrasies if there is good sound quality. I don't blame you for returning it.
post #102 of 111 Old 03-26-2019, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I understand very well 'buyer remorse' :-), pity you can't buy one, audition and return if you don't like it like here. I bought mine at https://www.accessories4less.com refurbished at $1,208.98 with 3 years warranty (had 30-money back warranty too). I had a bad experience with previous Denon 4520CI and later with Pioneer SC-81. So the extended warranty was paramount. The Anthem & Yamaha cost more than twice back then, and to my years & setting the Onkyo sounded as good (well, Anthem sounds a little better in 2 channel mode and Yamaha had some fancier DSP movie modes, none of them of my licking).

Again, without being able to audition one, buying one is a very tough call.
Onkyo, up here anyways, are mostly sold only in "big box" retailers that don't carry any of their high end products, only their cheap line of receivers and soundbars. Anthem, Yamaha, Marantz are all represented around town, just not the Onkyo. I would definitely like to audition in my own home before purchasing. Maybe I should scratch it off my list and pay a little more for one of the other units?
post #103 of 111 Old 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Onkyo, up here anyways, are mostly sold only in "big box" retailers that don't carry any of their high end products, only their cheap line of receivers and soundbars. Anthem, Yamaha, Marantz are all represented around town, just not the Onkyo. I would definitely like to audition in my own home before purchasing. Maybe I should scratch it off my list and pay a little more for one of the other units?
Without the chance of listening first, I would definitively do that. No 'buyers remorse" and 30 days to convince yourself that "this is the one/I'm happy". This sensation is the best!

I love my Onkyo, took me a while to tweak AccuEQ, several attempts but easier than Audyssey and simpler. I like the fact that doesn't touch EQ above 5000hz, my speakers are very good. In pure stereo sounds great (I did have to move my speakers around for best imaging, clarity, etc.). One question, I never bought a receiver/prepro in 'big box' retailers, only online. Don't you have online stores there with 30-days back? True, you might have to pay to ship back, but it worths the small $$$.
post #104 of 111 Old 03-27-2019, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Without the chance of listening first, I would definitively do that. No 'buyers remorse" and 30 days to convince yourself that "this is the one/I'm happy". This sensation is the best!

I love my Onkyo, took me a while to tweak AccuEQ, several attempts but easier than Audyssey and simpler. I like the fact that doesn't touch EQ above 5000hz, my speakers are very good. In pure stereo sounds great (I did have to move my speakers around for best imaging, clarity, etc.). One question, I never bought a receiver/prepro in 'big box' retailers, only online. Don't you have online stores there with 30-days back? True, you might have to pay to ship back, but it worths the small $$$.
Yes there are online stores, but I am not comfortable buying big ticket items online, I prefer a local dealer. Easier for potential warranty/service, usually the local dealer knows the rep for the product and can help if needed. You can also negotiate a price easier with the dealer.
post #105 of 111 Old 07-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am having a nasty problem that I believe is related to this processor.

My PS4 was having a tough time playing HDR game content. I purchased a brand new PS4 Pro today and discovered that I could only get an image on the screen if I switched from the main HDMI output to the sub output.

After everything looked like it was going to work I tested an HDR game and it worked. I then tasked the PS4 Pro to transfer all of my data from my old PS4. Now that it’s finished, I am back to being unable to get any kind of screen from the PS4 Pro through either HDMI output on the Onkyo. When connected through the Onkyo processor, my JVC RS540 projector Will not respond to any commands from the remote.

I am really at the end of my patience after having spent three hours on this already.

Hoping someone else here has seen or heard of this problem and has a solution.
post #106 of 111 Old 07-26-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiden View Post
I am having a nasty problem that I believe is related to this processor.

My PS4 was having a tough time playing HDR game content. I purchased a brand new PS4 Pro today and discovered that I could only get an image on the screen if I switched from the main HDMI output to the sub output.

After everything looked like it was going to work I tested an HDR game and it worked. I then tasked the PS4 Pro to transfer all of my data from my old PS4. Now that it’s finished, I am back to being unable to get any kind of screen from the PS4 Pro through either HDMI output on the Onkyo. When connected through the Onkyo processor, my JVC RS540 projector Will not respond to any commands from the remote.

I am really at the end of my patience after having spent three hours on this already.

Hoping someone else here has seen or heard of this problem and has a solution.
Bought a PS4 Pro and it solved the problem. I think the first generation PS4 isn't properly HDR compliant even thought it has HDR menus in the UI with the latest System Software.
post #107 of 111 Old 08-03-2019, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Single Surround Back System

Hi, I am new owner of PR-RZ5100.
Overall it is nice device, much better sound quality compared with my old Denon X4400H.
But there is very nasty and annoying problem which drives me crazy.

I am using just one surround back speaker, it is as known "single surround back" as other brand models.
But there is no menu whatsoever that I can select "Single Surround Back" during speaker configuration or AccuEQ setup.
My surround back speaker is connected "LEFT SB" connector as it is same as all other brand (e.g. Denon, Marantz, Yamaha)
During AccuEQ setup process, my system automatically detects there is right surround back speaker is missing, and it shows
warning or recommendation like: "If you want better experience, connect stereo surround back speaker", and that's all.
After finish AccuEQ setup, still my speaker configuration is showing that I use two surround back system, but right channel
is missing. (not showing that I intently using single SB)
When I play DTS-X or Dolby Atmos Demo Disc, definitely right surround back sound is missing.
With my old receivers, single surround back speakers work as monaural mode, so LEFT/RIGHT SB sounds are all played through
my single surround back speaker, but not with this new PR-RZ5100.
If sound is moving left to right from my behind, sounds are coming out from surround speakers like LEFT Surround -> LEFT Surround Back,
and sound disappear or muted promptly, and -> RIGHT Surround. It is bad and I am very frustrated.
Am I have to buy new speaker sets and install again? Of course that is "If you want..." recommendation from system but I don't want.

Is there any way to set my "Single Surround Back Speaker" on to this "Flagship" PR-RZ5100???
Denon 8500 can do it, Marantz 8805 can do it also, even lower grade models can do it, too.
Am I miss something? I can't find any explanation from Basic nor Advanced manual. Other brands, yes, they clearly describe how can
I set single surround back speaker.

Please help me if anybody know about it... thanks in advance!

Last edited by Stephen W. Park; 08-03-2019 at 01:02 AM. Reason: word correction
post #108 of 111 Old 08-03-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. Park View Post
Is there any way to set my "Single Surround Back Speaker" on to this "Flagship" PR-RZ5100???
Denon 8500 can do it, Marantz 8805 can do it also, even lower grade models can do it, too.
Am I miss something? I can't find any explanation from Basic nor Advanced manual. Other brands, yes, they clearly describe how can
I set single surround back speaker.

Please help me if anybody know about it... thanks in advance!
Hi Stephen.
Have you tried to set under "Configuration" >> "Speaker Channels" menu "6.1 ch" ?

Default configuration is 7.1.4 ch.
post #109 of 111 Old 08-03-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi TheFaster, thanks for your reply.
That 6.1 configuration eliminates center speaker, not for surround back. I read all manuals throughly but there is no mention about single surround back channel setup whatsoever.
I am almost give up to find a way...
Best way to buy new pair of speaker for stereo surround back...

For the sake of perfect surround system, it is good.
However it is sad for sake of my wallet.
post #110 of 111 Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 AM

I just tried with my 5100.
I'm afraid there are no possibility of configuring it as your needs. As you say yourself, the only solution is to install a pair of back surrounds.
post #111 of 111 Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 AM

The reason for this choice by Onkyo is perhaps to maintain compatibility with the dolby enabled speakers that if installed on the back surrounds must be in pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
accueq , drc , dynamic range control , PR-RZ5100 , rz-5100 , standing wave

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page