Yamaha Aventage 2016 Models - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 334Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 745 Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
Welp ECTV already has my money, or rather Amex's, so I'm pretty tied to them until and unless they completely fail to deliver. I do most definitely appreciate the support and feedback from you guys though.

Fingers crossed they come through so I don't have to prolong this process any further buttttt if they do end up dropping the ball and I do have to get Amex to refund the charge then I will absolutely reach out to JDS with AVS and give them a shot at my business.




Yup, the failure of due diligence fully rests at my feet. I did just check in on the order status and it does now include a FedEx tracking number. The number even appears valid but it is interesting that after telling me on Tuesday that the AVR had already shipped the tracking number indicates a pickup date of this afternoon. Lol sound familiar? It also lists an estimated weight of 30 lbs which should be a good 8 lbs light.

Anyway... we'll see what actually shows up and in what state. Obviously I will now be inspecting the tag and serial numbers closely for shenanigans.

"Buyer beware." It's not just for 20th century history lectures!

The good news is, I have not seen reports that ECTV outright steals, just very aggressive upselling and various BS/dishonest tactics designed to extract more money than the promised sales price. Their weakness appears to be that they really don't like negative feedback on the web, so use that threat liberally if necessary or actually leave bad feedback and then offer to retract in exchange for concessions. As I indicated before, some members actually got very good deals on TVs after going through some BS, so I would just keep my fingers crossed. Good luck.
jjackkrash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 745 Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Wiscane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
The good news is, I have not seen reports that ECTV outright steals, just very aggressive upselling and various BS/dishonest tactics designed to extract more money than the promised sales price. Their weakness appears to be that they really don't like negative feedback on the web, so use that threat liberally if necessary or actually leave bad feedback and then offer to retract in exchange for concessions. As I indicated before, some members actually got very good deals on TVs after going through some BS, so I would just keep my fingers crossed. Good luck.
Just so much aggravation ..... I am confused as to what the seller gets out of all this drama ! The credit card companies seem to work things out for the most part. Keep us informed. I like their published prices.... too bad their is so much extra curricular activity associated with the purchase,
Wiscane is offline  
post #363 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
I have been looking for a new receiver and was about to buy the 1050. Now the 1060 comes out next month.
I see literally no difference besides the possibility to auto configure the subwoofer at a lower freq.
In fact being the 1050 actually says it is using the Sabre DAC and the 1060 just states ESS. It would almost appear the 1050 could be better.


Is there really any difference between these two units?
shortyg83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djc11369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I have been looking for a new receiver and was about to buy the 1050. Now the 1060 comes out next month.
I see literally no difference besides the possibility to auto configure the subwoofer at a lower freq.
In fact being the 1050 actually says it is using the Sabre DAC and the 1060 just states ESS. It would almost appear the 1050 could be better.


Is there really any difference between these two units?
Yes, one is a 2015 model and the other is a 2016 model.

Seriously, for what little differences there are I would personally wait for the 1060 to release and buy the 1050 on closeout.
yanks1 likes this.
djc11369 is offline  
post #365 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Yes, one is a 2015 model and the other is a 2016 model.

Seriously, for what little differences there are I would personally wait for the 1060 to release and buy the 1050 on closeout.
That is what I was planning. I have store credit at a dealer that sells Yamaha. I am going to see if they will be able to get me better pricing on the 1050, but I know they have to order it so I don't know what they will be able to get it at cost wise. If they had one in stock it would be easier.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #366 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,626
Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22926 Post(s)
Liked: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I have been looking for a new receiver and was about to buy the 1050. Now the 1060 comes out next month.
I see literally no difference besides the possibility to auto configure the subwoofer at a lower freq.
In fact being the 1050 actually says it is using the Sabre DAC and the 1060 just states ESS. It would almost appear the 1050 could be better.


Is there really any difference between these two units?
Both models use the same DAC - ESS Tech ES9006A SABRE
Madmax67 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #367 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Member
 
BlueEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any news of new amp for separates? MX5100 or something?
BlueEarth is offline  
post #368 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Both models use the same DAC - ESS Tech ES9006A SABRE
So is there any actual change then besides the calibration software?


I mean the most important part to me is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a for hdr. Which they both have. But I literally see no difference.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #369 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
The local dealer called the Yamaha rep to see if there were lower prices available on the rx-a1050 yet. He said nothing until the actual release of the rx-a1060.
But he also said I would be better off with the new model because it apparently the video processor in it is much improved. I don't know if that is true or not though.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #370 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
raceredmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Yes, one is a 2015 model and the other is a 2016 model.

Seriously, for what little differences there are I would personally wait for the 1060 to release and buy the 1050 on closeout.
The more I look at the 2016 vs. 2015 models I agree that the 1050 on closeout would be the better deal. I am not sure that the sub eq to 15 hz will produce a noticeable difference. Everything else looks similar between the two models. The trick is to find the deals on the RX-A1050.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Bluesound Node 2i, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005,
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, Polk RTIA1 rears, RP-450C, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL
Office: Yamaha A-S701, Bluesound Node 2, Monitor Audio Silver 2, SVS SB12-NSD, Marantz CD6006
raceredmustang is offline  
post #371 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,032
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
But he also said I would be better off with the new model because it apparently the video processor in it is much improved.
Very interesting
New24K is online now  
post #372 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
raceredmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
The local dealer called the Yamaha rep to see if there were lower prices available on the rx-a1050 yet. He said nothing until the actual release of the rx-a1060.
But he also said I would be better off with the new model because it apparently the video processor in it is much improved. I don't know if that is true or not though.
I guess I posted too soon.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Bluesound Node 2i, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005,
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, Polk RTIA1 rears, RP-450C, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL
Office: Yamaha A-S701, Bluesound Node 2, Monitor Audio Silver 2, SVS SB12-NSD, Marantz CD6006
raceredmustang is offline  
post #373 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,858
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
But he also said I would be better off with the new model because it apparently the video processor in it is much improved. I don't know if that is true or not though.
First I heard that. Seems unlikely.
Most people dont even use the video processing in their avr. Do you have a specific need for it?
Bond 007 is offline  
post #374 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
First I heard that. Seems unlikely.
Most people dont even use the video processing in their avr. Do you have a specific need for it?
Well the video side is pretty important to me. I have a 4k hdr tv and would like the device to be able to pass that signal without any issues. But I would also like something that up scales. Not that my tv upscales bad but if it can do better than that would be great as well.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #375 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
First I heard that. Seems unlikely.
Most people dont even use the video processing in their avr. Do you have a specific need for it?
Some tvs, like the Vizio p65, have bad up scaling so maybe the avr option is good to have.
dwaleke and azz7686 like this.
adrenalin is offline  
post #376 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Member
 
Spartanjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I have been looking for a new receiver and was about to buy the 1050. Now the 1060 comes out next month.
I see literally no difference besides the possibility to auto configure the subwoofer at a lower freq.
In fact being the 1050 actually says it is using the Sabre DAC and the 1060 just states ESS. It would almost appear the 1050 could be better.


Is there really any difference between these two units?
One thing that stuck out to me is that the 1060 can now pair with Bluetooth headsets/speakers. Unless I misread the 1050 user manual or that feature was added in a firmware update the 1050 can only receive Bluetooth while the 1060 can pair and broadcast to Bluetooth speakers/headsets. I'm sure there are a few more things but that was one that I liked since this 1060 is going in the bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
The local dealer called the Yamaha rep to see if there were lower prices available on the rx-a1050 yet. He said nothing until the actual release of the rx-a1060.
But he also said I would be better off with the new model because it apparently the video processor in it is much improved. I don't know if that is true or not though.
I have a Vizio p55 in the bedroom and its upscaling from 1080i leaves a lot to be desired (imho). This is one of the reasons why I went with the Yamaha AVR it seems most of the 2016 AVR's are only upscaling 1080p->4K now but the Yamaha 1060 will also do less than 1080p scaling. I really hope that is true about the new x60's!

Last edited by Spartanjet; 05-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Spartanjet is offline  
post #377 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Deinterlacing content is very resource intensive. TVs do not have the processing capability to apply a good algorithm.

Upscaling is rather easy for pretty good results. But can also be intensive for great results.

1080i is the problem. I can't wait until all content distribution abandons interlaced content. Send it all down progressive. Either 1080p, 4k, or 8k.
Madmax67 likes this.
dwaleke is online now  
post #378 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
celticpride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
One thing i read on yamhas website is support for 21:9 aspect ratio,I dont know if older models had this ,but the new models do when watching films in the usual 16:9 ratio you see black bars on the top and bottom of the screen 21:9 eliminates these bars! By supporting 21:9 resoulution this model (RX-A760) will be able to pass it through so that movies and games feel much more immersive. i think tis will be avaiable on the 760 models on up to the 3060.

Last edited by celticpride; 05-20-2016 at 08:59 PM.
celticpride is offline  
post #379 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8551
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride View Post
One thing i read on yamhas website is support for 21:9 aspect ratio,I dont know if older models had this ,but the new models do when watching films in the usual 16:9 ratio you see black bars on the top and bottom of the screen 21:9 eliminates these bars! By supporting 21:9 resoulution this model (RX-A760) will be able to pass it through so that movies and games feel much more immersive. i think tis will be avaiable on the 760 models on up to the 3060.
I wish it was true, but it doesn't work that way.

ALL Bluray movies in 2.35:1 format still have black bars encoded onto the disc to fill a 16:9 screen
so your display will always play 16:9 even if the 2.35:1/21:9 pixels are the only ones with color and the rest is black.

Black Bars are not going away until someone makes a new format Bluray, sorry.
(or you use a CIH (constant image height) a scope screen and anamorphic lens sled system
and/or masking system)

The 21:9 mode is nothing new or exclusive to the 2016 models,
It's been advertised as a feature on last years models too

from the RX-A850 feature tab:



But try finding it in the setup menu or owners manual though




from the Yamaha CX-A5100 pre/pro thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
gotcha!

btw what do you make of this feature description of the 5100, found on most ads pitching the 5100?

--------------

21:9 Aspect Ratio - The 21:9 aspect ratio support is designed to show films recorded in the Cinema Scope format. When these films are viewed in the usual 16:9 ratio, you see black bars at the top and bottom of the screen; 21:9 eliminates these bars. By supporting 21:9 resolution, this model will be able to pass it through so that movies and games feel much more immersive.

---------------

it sounds like the 5100 has the ability to remove the black bars and fit the 2:35 image into a 2:35 screen, but it would have to do some sort of non-linear stretching to accomplish this, which i don't think it does, or at least i haven't seen anything like this going through the 5100's menu options...
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
I think it could mean only one of two things... Stretch the frame height to fill the display, or zoom the frame to fill the display and crop the edges, or I guess a third option would be some combination of the two. Doesn't really sound like a great feature to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I read that to mean that 21:9 is a supported video format, as in 2520x1080 resolutions. Don't ask me where you'd get that resolution input from, I guess a PC or media file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
I read it as support only. I don't think the AVP does anything actively. It's not the 5100 that eliminates the bars but it doesn't convert 21:9 to 16:9 but passes it through. That's what I think.
source: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...thread-36.html

Madmax67 likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-21-2016 at 11:37 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #380 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
ALL Bluray movies in 2.35:1 format still have black bars encoded onto the disc to fill a 16:9 screen
so your display will always play 16:9 even if the 21:9 pixels are the only ones with color.

Black Bars are not going away until someone makes a new format Bluray, sorry.
(or you use a scope screen and anamorphic lens or masking system)
My 21:9 ultrawide monitor doesnt display any blackbars with bluray movies.

Btw is yamaha warranty transferable?
ElBerryKM13 is offline  
post #381 of 745 Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
My 21:9 ultrawide monitor doesnt display any blackbars with bluray movies.

Btw is yamaha warranty transferable?
But how "big" is your ultra-wide 21:9 "monitor"... as in Computer monitor?
and is it as immersive as watching a bluray movie on a 9 foot wide screen?

Here's what I see at 9 feet wide, 10 foot viewing distance, with my projector and 16:9 screen

For regular TV viewing (50" Pioneer Kuro plasma)



Big screen down, Floor Lamps on, camera flash on



floor lamps on, camera flash off


lamps off, camera flash off, "black bars" *poof* gone!


The "Black Bars" are still present, its just that the room is so dark
they are barely visible to the human eye, and certainly wont be picked up by my camera.




The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-21-2016 at 10:17 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #382 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
 
adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 101
pio, we get it, you have an awesome 9ft screen but not all of us are that lucky! Us mere peasants have a paltry 65"-75" to deal with so we need every bit of space we can get.
adrenalin is offline  
post #383 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,626
Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22926 Post(s)
Liked: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanjet View Post
One thing that stuck out to me is that the 1060 can now pair with Bluetooth headsets/speakers. Unless I misread the 1050 user manual or that feature was added in a firmware update the 1050 can only receive Bluetooth while the 1060 can pair and broadcast to Bluetooth speakers/headsets. I'm sure there are a few more things but that was one that I liked since this 1060 is going in the bedroom.
MusicCast + Bluetooth audio transmitter were added as a firmware update in August 2015 so streaming to Wifi and Bluetooth speakers/headphones is possible with the 2015 models.

Quote:
I have a Vizio p55 in the bedroom and its upscaling from 1080i leaves a lot to be desired (imho). This is one of the reasons why I went with the Yamaha AVR it seems most of the 2016 AVR's are only upscaling 1080p->4K now but the Yamaha 1060 will also do less than 1080p scaling. I really hope that is true about the new x60's!
Denon and Marantz models can still upscale <1080p --> 4k.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-21-2016 at 03:12 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #384 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanjet View Post
One thing that stuck out to me is that the 1060 can now pair with Bluetooth headsets/speakers. Unless I misread the 1050 user manual or that feature was added in a firmware update the 1050 can only receive Bluetooth while the 1060 can pair and broadcast to Bluetooth speakers/headsets. I'm sure there are a few more things but that was one that I liked since this 1060 is going in the bedroom.
Bluetooth transmitting didn't make it into the 2015 manuals, but it is described in detail in the additional features pdf here.
This document does also explain musiccast, but imo they have little to do with each other. The 2014 models are bt receive only.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 05-21-2016 at 03:10 AM.
kikkenit2 is offline  
post #385 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8551
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
pio, we get it, you have an awesome 9ft screen but not all of us are that lucky! Us mere peasants have a paltry 65"-75" to deal with so we need every bit of space we can get.
I don't think you "get" my point at all, your 65"-75" TV is still a 16:9 display,
Just like my projector, exact same pixel count...1920 wide x 1080 vertical
The exact same pixels that match a Bluray EVEN if its a 2.35:1 movie with the top and bottom black bars.
The same pixel count that your bluray player sends to your AVR/TV, black bars are part of that signal.

...and as such the Black Bars will always be there.

If I zoomed my image large enough so the top and bottom "bars" where off screen,
then I would be missing all the content on the sides.

If you are talking about changing the aspect ratio to stretch a wide screen movie vertically
to fill your 16:9 screen because you think its an improvement to stretch an actors face out of proportion?
..well to me that's just wrong.




....and for the record, my projector is 8 years old and cost less than the 50" TV on the wall.
The motorized remote controlled screen was an ebay purchase for $250, shipped.
Shniks, postrokfan and Madmax67 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-21-2016 at 10:20 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #386 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm talking about ultra wide monitors and you talking about regular wide screen. No black bars while using ultra wide monitors
ElBerryKM13 is offline  
post #387 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
I'm talking about ultra wide monitors and you talking about regular wide screen. No black bars while using ultra wide monitors
A movie from a bluray displays 1920 x 1080 pixels
an ultra wide monitor has 2560×1080 resolution


The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-21-2016 at 09:23 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #388 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Shniks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
pio, we get it, you have an awesome 9ft screen but not all of us are that lucky! Us mere peasants have a paltry 65"-75" to deal with so we need every bit of space we can get.




Cheers,

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology Mythos ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
Shniks is offline  
post #389 of 745 Old 05-21-2016, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I don't think you "get" my point at all, your 65"-75" TV is still a 16:9 display,
Just like my projector, exact same pixel count...1920 wide x 1080 vertical
The exact same pixels that match a Bluray EVEN if its a 2.35:1 movie with the top and bottom black bars.
The same pixel count that your bluray player sends to your AVR/TV, black bars are part of that signal.

...and as such the Black Bars will always be there.

If I zoomed my image large enough so the top and bottom "bars" where off screen,
then I would be missing all the content on the sides.

If you are talking about changing the aspect ratio to stretch a wide screen movie vertically
to fill your 16:9 screen because you think its an improvement to stretch an actors face out of proportion?
..well to me that's just wrong.




....and for the record, my projector is 8 years old and cost less than the 50" TV on the wall.
The motorized remote controlled screen was an ebay purchase for $250, shipped.
I think they are getting rid of the black bars by zooming in on the picture or stretching picture to fit the screen. Obviously not the correct way.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #390 of 745 Old 05-22-2016, 02:02 AM
Senior Member
 
adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I don't think you "get" my point at all, your 65"-75" TV is still a 16:9 display,
I dont think you got my point either. Was just saying the black bars on a huge screen doesnt hurt your experience as much as it does on a 65"-75". Not sure how the 21:9 works on the new yamahas but Id like to regain as much screen real estate as possible (if at all possible).

Hell, Im on a 60" plasma right now!
adrenalin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off