Quadraphonic decoder/preamp for modern receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-22-2016, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quadraphonic decoder/preamp for modern receiver?

I would like to find a modern device that decodes an analog quadraphonic signal from old source equipment (8-track, phono, etc.) and sends it into my modern receiver through the multichannel analog audio inputs so that I get the correct soundstage. Now then, I may be naive in thinking that my receiver's logic won't try to redistribute the input according to a modern multichannel algorithm, so tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I'm currently using a Sony STR-DA1000ES (not so modern anymore, I know), but I will upgrade eventually. When I upgrade, I plan to transition to a fully separate system with independent preamps/source selectors, signal processors, and amps. So perhaps there is a component signal processor that includes quad decoding alongside DTS, Dolby, etc.?

I'm surprised I couldn't find anything in my web searches. All I see is vintage gear, which I don't want. One would think this is not a difficult device to engineer and build. Perhaps the only people who listen to old quad media are also vintage hi-fi junkies, and my desire is anathema to the whole scene; while the users of modern gear just buy rereleased/remastered quad albums on CD?

I know about the various quad encoding formats, so I don't suppose it is too much to ask for this magical device to be capable of handling most (if not all) of them? I don't expect it to be able to autodetect the format; I'm okay with setting a switch on the device to tell it which format the recording uses.

If no one knows of such a preamp/decoder, could you at least give me some search tips or links to sites that would point me in the right direction? I searched the forums at www.quadraphonicquad.com, but I haven't created an account there yet because I get the vibe that those folks are pretty staunchly in the vintage-gear-or-die camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-22-2016, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I had a quadrophonic 8 track home stereo 40 years ago. It witnessed some great parties.
Find something old to play it because like you found that format was dropped long ago.
Personally I would digitize it so I could eq it properly. And maybe edit out the hiss?
Not like it is lossless quality.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 187
After a quick search I found this. Hopefully it offers you some ideas.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/q...c/quadplay.htm

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-22-2016, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
After a quick search I found this. Hopefully it offers you some ideas.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/q...c/quadplay.htm
Thanks, but I already read it before posting. The "solutions" he offers are rather unsatisfactory. Namely, either buy old equipment with terrible technology and SQ, or pretend it's quad by running it through your Dolby x.y system that does a half-assed approximation of decoding it.

What I'm looking for is a true quad decoder built from modern circuitry, with the end result being the same soundstage the mastering engineers heard and intended (minus the losses due to not hearing it off the original master tapes). With my limited and fading knowledge of college physics and ham radio, it's obvious to me that this can be done quite easily without resorting to analog-digital-analog conversion by exploiting multichannel analog inputs on the preamp.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Talk to @Kal Rubinson at Stereophile. He specializes in the hi resolution multichannel
audio that has replaced quadraphonic. He probably knows a bunch about quad too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
decoder , preamp , quad , quadraphonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page