Onkyo TX-NR656 Owner's Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 717Likes

post #301 of 1039 Old 08-24-2017, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspider View Post
Hmmn, will these work with the onkyo 656?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QUF6Y...d=Y2G3QAZQFSFI

Thanks.
Yes, I think so

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk
blackspider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1039 Old 08-24-2017, 01:34 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 9124 Post(s)
Liked: 5855
Quote:
Hmmn, will these work with the onkyo 656?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QUF6Y...d=Y2G3QAZQFSFI

Thanks.
Those look just like the ones I purchased from Monoprice, only more expensive. I have the Onkyo HT-R695. Which is the bundled receiver with speakers and is the same as the Onkyo TX-NR656. And the Banana Plugs fit perfectly in my Onkyo.
blackspider likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #303 of 1039 Old 08-24-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokia01 View Post
Yes, I think so

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Those look just like the ones I purchased from Monoprice, only more expensive. I have the Onkyo HT-R695. Which is the bundled receiver with speakers and is the same as the Onkyo TX-NR656. And the Banana Plugs fit perfectly in my Onkyo.
Thanks for the info guys
Snokia01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 1039 Old 08-26-2017, 12:43 AM

ok guys my onkyo 656 is going into standby & giving error to check speaker wire, i feel my surround back speaker wires are the issue, so can i just try using the avr in basic 5.1 setup instead of 7.1 by going & choosing 5.1 in speaker layout in the avr setup options?
want to give it a try that way or should i disconnect the surround backs from the reciever itself?

Thanks.
post #305 of 1039 Old 08-26-2017, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
ok guys my onkyo 656 is going into standby & giving error to check speaker wire, i feel my surround back speaker wires are the issue, so can i just try using the avr in basic 5.1 setup instead of 7.1 by going & choosing 5.1 in speaker layout in the avr setup options?
want to give it a try that way or should i disconnect the surround backs from the reciever itself?

Thanks.
If you have easy access to the back of the Onkyo, I would temporarily disconnect the speakers right at the AVR. If the wiring or speaker is truly shorting out, it would be best to disconnect the suspected culprit. Re-configure the AVR to 5.1 and see how things go for awhile. If you continue to have the problem, it most likely isn't the surrounds.

It's certainly possible the problem is with the AVR itself. You may need to disconnect each pair of speakers in your system, one by one, to identify the real problem.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
post #306 of 1039 Old 08-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyBoy View Post
If you have easy access to the back of the Onkyo, I would temporarily disconnect the speakers right at the AVR. If the wiring or speaker is truly shorting out, it would be best to disconnect the suspected culprit. Re-configure the AVR to 5.1 and see how things go for awhile. If you continue to have the problem, it most likely isn't the surrounds.

It's certainly possible the problem is with the AVR itself. You may need to disconnect each pair of speakers in your system, one by one, to identify the real problem.

well have disconnected the back surrounds for now & trying traditional 5.1 setup, nobody else has reported this issue with the 656 so i guess its my speaker wires which are 9 years old :-/
will update here soon.

Thanks.
post #307 of 1039 Old 08-27-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2013 Panasonic Plasma 1080p TV (TC-P50ST50). I also have a 2013 Panasonic Blu-ray player 480p. I'm strongly considering purchasing the Onkyo TX-NR646. My Onkyo TX-NR515 needs to be replaced. I want the receiver to handle all the HDMI devices (Blu-ray player, Roku etc.).

I've done a lot of reading on the Onkyo TX-NR646. Bottom line question: Will the TX-NR646 upscale to 1080p or 4K?

Thanks!
post #308 of 1039 Old 08-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistoga View Post
I have a 2013 Panasonic Plasma 1080p TV (TC-P50ST50). I also have a 2013 Panasonic Blu-ray player 480p. I'm strongly considering purchasing the Onkyo TX-NR646. My Onkyo TX-NR515 needs to be replaced. I want the receiver to handle all the HDMI devices (Blu-ray player, Roku etc.).

I've done a lot of reading on the Onkyo TX-NR646. Bottom line question: Will the TX-NR646 upscale to 1080p or 4K?

Thanks!
this is the 656 owner's thread, never had the 646 so can't help you there.

Cheers.
post #309 of 1039 Old 08-27-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
this is the 656 owner's thread, never had the 646 so can't help you there.
Cheers.
Dyslexia strikes again! Perhaps a Mod or a SysAdmin can put my post in Removed topics.
post #310 of 1039 Old 08-29-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Ok i checked the wires behind the avr yesterday & feel this is the culprit, the center speaker cable behind the avr, have attached the pic, now fingers crossed my issue is solved.

https://ibb.co/dzKqMk
post #311 of 1039 Old 08-29-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Ok i checked the wires behind the avr yesterday & feel this is the culprit, the center speaker cable behind the avr, have attached the pic, now fingers crossed my issue is solved.

https://ibb.co/dzKqMk
From the picture, it's not real obvious what the problem is. I can see something is frayed but not sure if it's the copper wires or the plastic insulation. You're probably seeing more than what the picture is revealing.

Anyway, hopefully you've found the problem and all will be well.

I like to use banana plugs for connections. It's a real bugger to access the back of my AVR. So it's nice to connect the banana plug and wire out in the open where I can see what I'm doing. Then it's not quite so hard to just plug into the AVR.

Good Luck!
post #312 of 1039 Old 08-29-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quick question about AccueEQ. If I use it to set up my speakers automatically (5.2.1) for distance and levels, what happens when I turn it off? Does it keep the distance the same, but reset the levels, or what? Just curious.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #313 of 1039 Old 08-29-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Quick question about AccueEQ. If I use it to set up my speakers automatically (5.2.1) for distance and levels, what happens when I turn it off? Does it keep the distance the same, but reset the levels, or what? Just curious.
it keeps the distance for sure, i think even the levels are saved.
post #314 of 1039 Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
From the picture, it's not real obvious what the problem is. I can see something is frayed but not sure if it's the copper wires or the plastic insulation. You're probably seeing more than what the picture is revealing.

Anyway, hopefully you've found the problem and all will be well.

I like to use banana plugs for connections. It's a real bugger to access the back of my AVR. So it's nice to connect the banana plug and wire out in the open where I can see what I'm doing. Then it's not quite so hard to just plug into the AVR.

Good Luck!
its not plastic but thats the speaker wire frayed, hope it solves my issue as the next suspect if the "Check sp wire" comes again will be my speaker wires(9 years old) hmmn, i have ediited the pic to highlight which wire i am talking about.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 3.02.31 PM.png
Views:	84
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	2275116  
post #315 of 1039 Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
its not plastic but thats the speaker wire frayed, hope it solves my issue as the next suspect if the "Check sp wire" comes again will be my speaker wires(9 years old) hmmn, i have ediited the pic to highlight which wire i am talking about.

Thanks.
I doubt that your problem is the speaker wire itself. Unless the wire somehow got damaged and is shorting out, it most likely would have to be a problem at the connection points. The other possibilities are an intermittently bad speaker or the AVR itself.

My brother-in-law, who lives in Arizona, has a hardwired computer network in his home. He lost connectivity to one of his computers. After much trouble shooting, he discovered some rodents had chewed up the Cat5 cable running through his attic.
aaronwt likes this.
post #316 of 1039 Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I doubt that your problem is the speaker wire itself. Unless the wire somehow got damaged and is shorting out, it most likely would have to be a problem at the connection points. The other possibilities are an intermittently bad speaker or the AVR itself.

My brother-in-law, who lives in Arizona, has a hardwired computer network in his home. He lost connectivity to one of his computers. After much trouble shooting, he discovered some rodents had chewed up the Cat5 cable running through his attic.
Hi,
The issue has happened again today, i have rechecked the wires of the surrounds speakers, as before it switched off the avr & went to diag mode again, i was getting a distorting type of sound from the Surround left speaker, so re trimmed the wire for that speaker & tried it again & still the avr went to protection mode after few minutes though the distortion sound this appear this time, i have almost given up now & think it could be the onkyo 656 that has the issue, i read on the official onkyo forums that best thing to do is remove the speaker wires from the avr & play an input source on hight vol to see if the avr goes to diag mode then, also one think, my speakers are jamo s606 speaker package & are almost 10 years old, so could be my left or roght surround speaker is bad & causing this issue?

Cheers.
post #317 of 1039 Old 08-31-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Hi,
The issue has happened again today, i have rechecked the wires of the surrounds speakers, as before it switched off the avr & went to diag mode again, i was getting a distorting type of sound from the Surround left speaker, so re trimmed the wire for that speaker & tried it again & still the avr went to protection mode after few minutes though the distortion sound this appear this time, i have almost given up now & think it could be the onkyo 656 that has the issue, i read on the official onkyo forums that best thing to do is remove the speaker wires from the avr & play an input source on hight vol to see if the avr goes to diag mode then, also one think, my speakers are jamo s606 speaker package & are almost 10 years old, so could be my left or roght surround speaker is bad & causing this issue?

Cheers.
It sounds like the problem is with the left surround speaker or channel. Try swapping the left and right speakers. If the distortion goes to the right, it's a pretty good bet it's a speaker problem.

If the problem stays with the left channel, then swap the two channels at the AVR. It the distortion now goes to the right, it's probably a problem with the speaker wire.

If you totally disconnect those two surround speakers, do you still have a problem?
post #318 of 1039 Old 09-02-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just noticed a firmware update for the 656. Not sure if this is the DV update or not, but updating it now.
mr b and aaronwt like this.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #319 of 1039 Old 09-02-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It sounds like the problem is with the left surround speaker or channel. Try swapping the left and right speakers. If the distortion goes to the right, it's a pretty good bet it's a speaker problem.

If the problem stays with the left channel, then swap the two channels at the AVR. It the distortion now goes to the right, it's probably a problem with the speaker wire.

If you totally disconnect those two surround speakers, do you still have a problem?
Update-
Been running the onkyo avr with no speaker wires connected since couple of days & today played the xbox one s Dolby Atmos app that has the Atmos demo & the avr switched off & went to Diagnose mode & said check speaker wire So its not the speaker wire nor the speakers that is the issue but the avr itself. Almost bought new speakers yesterday in impulse pheew.

Thanks.
post #320 of 1039 Old 09-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Just noticed a firmware update for the 656. Not sure if this is the DV update or not, but updating it now.
Does anyone have an issue updating to the latest firmware? I keep receiving error messages.
post #321 of 1039 Old 09-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslo View Post
Does anyone have an issue updating to the latest firmware? I keep receiving error messages.
Hey there, I don't, but my receiver just displays "See TV," which I don't have. I'm not sure how to get rid of it, and the Onkyo support was of no help.

Did you download the update via net or upload it directly to your receiver via USB?
post #322 of 1039 Old 09-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentAgent View Post
Hey there, I don't, but my receiver just displays "See TV," which I don't have. I'm not sure how to get rid of it, and the Onkyo support was of no help.

Did you download the update via net or upload it directly to your receiver via USB?
Tried updating via net.
post #323 of 1039 Old 09-02-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I updated via Net no problem.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #324 of 1039 Old 09-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Found this:

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/fi.../tx-nr656.html

Latest Firmware Number (16 digits):2079-2040-5050-0008

As of 31 August 2017

• Expand playable content of DTS:X.
  • Adds ‘’Play Queue’’ function.
    For detail about updated function, please refer to the link below.
    http://www.onkyo.com/manual/sup/upd/queue_onk.pdf
  • Adds ‘’Search/ Sort’’ function on Music server.
  • Adds "Display WAV file information ( album art, artist, album ) via USB" function.For detail about updated function, please refer to the link below.
    http://www.onkyo.com/manual/sup/upd/audio1709_na_onk.pdf
    *Additional functions depend on model.
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.
aaronwt likes this.

My Gear:
Spoiler!
post #325 of 1039 Old 09-03-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Update-
Been running the onkyo avr with no speaker wires connected since couple of days & today played the xbox one s Dolby Atmos app that has the Atmos demo & the avr switched off & went to Diagnose mode & said check speaker wire So its not the speaker wire nor the speakers that is the issue but the avr itself. Almost bought new speakers yesterday in impulse pheew.

Thanks.
Sadly, it's looking like you do have a problem with the AVR. As it is such a hassle to get these repaired, it might be worth trying a little more troubleshooting.

At this point, I don't know what you have for a speaker configuration. As a test, it might be worth trying to use just one pair of known good speakers at a time. It sounds like your surrounds are probably OK. So use only those to test each AVR channel pair, one at a time. You could start with the front mains. If you're satisfied that they are working, then move the speakers to the other channels one at time.

Unfortunately, it's possible the problem may only show up when multiple channels are being used. That makes troubleshooting a bit more complicated.

Good Luck

Last edited by PokeyBoy; 09-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.
post #326 of 1039 Old 09-03-2017, 11:01 AM

+1 Successful Net (over the air) firmware update!

The firmware update went just fine and didn't "brick" my unit. I have speedy internet and it took about 15 minutes. I haven't taken the time to check every function or new feature. It still basically works though and sounds great.
post #327 of 1039 Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Weirdest Issue ever: DD+ sources don't work through ARC in LGB6-NR656 Combo.

Hi all,

New user here, brand new owner of an ONKYO TX-NR656 AV Receiver.

I was experiencing a weird issue when trying to pass through ARC any source with Dolby Digital Plus content. This issue affected sources such as:
  • TDT Channels with DD+2.0 audio tracks. Other channels with MPEG sound worked fine.
  • NetFlix and Amazon Apps from the LG App store when selecting 5.1 sources or Dolby Atmos.

The issue was that I got not sound at all, with the exception of some sounds for 2 or 3 tenths of a second and then silence again. The Info on the Receiver would say unknown source format in that instances.

I played with every option both in the receiver and the tv until I finally figured out what was causing the issue.

When I turn on the lights in my living room the sound will break. If I turn of the lights, I get back the sound instantly.

It's worth noting that the issue didn't affected at all the image quality or any other kind of sound source (PCM and Dolby Digital Standard sources like youtube worked fine under all circumstances).

The lights in my living room are regulable Halogen MR16 12V lights. I have 2 separated sets of 6 lights and both of them cause the issue. Even more. There are 2 rooms with the same lights that don't affect the receiver but a third (and farther away) room that also does affect the receiver.

As I said, weirdest issue ever.

I have video evidence of the issue, but I won't be able to share the link until my next (5th) post.

I still have to try some things to try and solve the issue for good (not having to turn off the lights to be able to listen to DD+ audio) such as:
  • Changing the HDMI cable for a better quality Hispeed one.
  • Connecting the receiver to a UPS Power Unit to see if that isolates the noise produced by the lights to the power grid of the house.

I'll update when I try those things.

Thanks for your time.
post #328 of 1039 Old 09-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrabi View Post
Hi all,

New user here, brand new owner of an ONKYO TX-NR656 AV Receiver.

I was experiencing a weird issue when trying to pass through ARC any source with Dolby Digital Plus content. This issue affected sources such as:
  • TDT Channels with DD+2.0 audio tracks. Other channels with MPEG sound worked fine.
  • NetFlix and Amazon Apps from the LG App store when selecting 5.1 sources or Dolby Atmos.

The issue was that I got not sound at all, with the exception of some sounds for 2 or 3 tenths of a second and then silence again. The Info on the Receiver would say unknown source format in that instances.

I played with every option both in the receiver and the tv until I finally figured out what was causing the issue.

When I turn on the lights in my living room the sound will break. If I turn of the lights, I get back the sound instantly.

It's worth noting that the issue didn't affected at all the image quality or any other kind of sound source (PCM and Dolby Digital Standard sources like youtube worked fine under all circumstances).

The lights in my living room are regulable Halogen MR16 12V lights. I have 2 separated sets of 6 lights and both of them cause the issue. Even more. There are 2 rooms with the same lights that don't affect the receiver but a third (and farther away) room that also does affect the receiver.

As I said, weirdest issue ever.

I have video evidence of the issue, but I won't be able to share the link until my next (5th) post.

I still have to try some things to try and solve the issue for good (not having to turn off the lights to be able to listen to DD+ audio) such as:
  • Changing the HDMI cable for a better quality Hispeed one.
  • Connecting the receiver to a UPS Power Unit to see if that isolates the noise produced by the lights to the power grid of the house.

I'll update when I try those things.

Thanks for your time.
Very interesting problem! I'm guessing it's noise on your power line. For your internet connection, are you using wireless or a network cable?
post #329 of 1039 Old 09-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Very interesting problem! I'm guessing it's noise on your power line. For your internet connection, are you using wireless or a network cable?
I'm using ethernet cable for both the TV and the receiver.

PS. The issue went away when I changed the HDMI cable for a quality high-speed one.
post #330 of 1039 Old 09-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrabi View Post
I'm using ethernet cable for both the TV and the receiver.

PS. The issue went away when I changed the HDMI cable for a quality high-speed one.
Glad to hear you got it figured out so quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.2 to 9.2 , atmos , external amp , external amplifier , Onkyo , TX-NR656

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page