Onkyo TX-NR656 Owner's Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 724Likes

post #781 of 1081 Old 07-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Question Does Xfinity have to be connected to hdcp 2.2?

Hey everyone,

I had a question while trying to free up one of my hdcp 2.2 hdmi ports for a UHD player.

I have an Onkyo tx-nr656 and I am using all three of the hdcp 2.2 inputs (Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Xfinity 4k box) and was
wondering if I can use my Xfinity box in one of the standard HDMI ports? I don't use the 4k res setting on the cable box as I let my 900e do
the upscaling and I don't use Netflix through the cable box either. I use my streamers for that.

I know the port on the back of my Onkyo says "Cable/Sat" but I believe that is only a label? Will the quality be the same?
I'd love to free up that 2.2 for a UHD player seeing as the 656 only has three.

Thanks for any help!
Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJ Onkyo.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	2425764  

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1081 Old 07-09-2018, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdel002 View Post
Hey everyone,

I had a question while trying to free up one of my hdcp 2.2 hdmi ports for a UHD player.

I have an Onkyo tx-nr656 and I am using all three of the hdcp 2.2 inputs (Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Xfinity 4k box) and was
wondering if I can use my Xfinity box in one of the standard HDMI ports? I don't use the 4k res setting on the cable box as I let my 900e do
the upscaling and I don't use Netflix through the cable box either. I use my streamers for that.

I know the port on the back of my Onkyo says "Cable/Sat" but I believe that is only a label? Will the quality be the same?
I'd love to free up that 2.2 for a UHD player seeing as the 656 only has three.

Thanks for any help!
Derek
Yes, that will be a fine solution. Only need HDCP 2.2 if your incoming signal is 4K.
post #783 of 1081 Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Yes, that will be a fine solution. Only need HDCP 2.2 if your incoming signal is 4K.
Thanks KSpan!!!

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1081 Old 07-09-2018, 01:27 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9654 Post(s)
Liked: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Not exactly. I have a couple of 4K boxes in my setup that do not need HDCP 2.2 to view the content.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #785 of 1081 Old 07-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Since I got mine last Summer I have been using HDMI switches on the HDCP 2.2 ports.
Currently I use two, 5 port, HDMI switches with two of the HDCP 2.2 ports. The switches are 18Gbps capable. So I've had no issues with them. The devices connected to the HDMI switches, act the same way as if they were connected directly to the receiver.

Connected to the HDMi switches I have a Shield TV, ATV 4K, FireTV 4K, Popcorn Hour ROckBox, a Roku Streaming Stick +, an Xbox One X, a PS4 Pro, and a TiVo Vox Mini. All are UHD devices. And when combined with my Harmony Elite remote, work great in my setup with the Onkyo and Sony UHD TV.. I just hit the touch screen on the remote, and all devices change to the proper input.

I've had no issues going through the switches and still streaming UHD/HDR10 content from apps with all the devices. That also require an HDCP 2.2 connection to stream the UHD content.

I am only using HDR10 though. So no idea how DV would affect things. My UHD BD player is connected directly to the receiver and doesn't go through one of the HDMi switches.
Which HDMI switches are you using with this receiver?
post #786 of 1081 Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone!

My first post on this forum, great info here!

I got the 5.1 HTIB Onkyo HT-S7805 which include the R695 AVR which is the European version of the NR656 I believe. My question is if it's normal to obtain a decent volume I have to set every Channel to minimum +10 dB ? The AccuEq dosen't help at all, I have it turned off.

Another problem is that my PS4 Pro says that my TV isn't HDR compatible when I connect it to AVR and the AVR to TV on MAIN OUT, if connected directly to TV everything is OK.

With the included speakers, can you tell me how to configure the crossover for every channel ? I want the bass to go to SUB and not the speakers... now I have the fronts set to 80hz, center to 80Hz, height speakers to 90 and rears to 90 but I really don't like the sound. Heck, the Logitech z906 was more powerfull then this, but I'm sure that I didn't tuned this system ok.

Thanks!
post #787 of 1081 Old 07-17-2018, 02:30 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwincy View Post
Which HDMI switches are you using with this receiver?
I'm using the sewell 18Gbps HDMI switches.

This is the one.
https://sewelldirect.com/switchdeck-...-22-444-chroma

I got it directly through Sewell since it was cheaper than Amazon plus I could get an extended warranty through them. They have a 3x1 and 5x1.
Kwincy likes this.

post #788 of 1081 Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm using the sewell 18Gbps HDMI switches.

This is the one.
https://sewelldirect.com/switchdeck-...-22-444-chroma

I got it directly through Sewell since it was cheaper than Amazon plus I could get an extended warranty through them. They have a 3x1 and 5x1.
Question for you on this switch as I'm looking at one myself. Does this part on the product info page mean that if I plug anything into the switch that isn't HDCP 2.2 that it will limit ALL devices to 1080p only? Basically, just use this for 2.2 devices only? From the product page:

HDCP 2.2 Compliance
The SwitchDeck is fully compliant with HDCP 2.2, but it is important to note that the new HDCP 2.2 standard is not backwards compatible with previous versions of HDCP.
This means that if one of the devices in your setup does not support HDCP 2.2, you will not be able to get a [email protected] signal on your display. You will only be able to get up to 1080p.
post #789 of 1081 Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evena View Post
Question for you on this switch as I'm looking at one myself. Does this part on the product info page mean that if I plug anything into the switch that isn't HDCP 2.2 that it will limit ALL devices to 1080p only? Basically, just use this for 2.2 devices only? From the product page:

HDCP 2.2 Compliance
The SwitchDeck is fully compliant with HDCP 2.2, but it is important to note that the new HDCP 2.2 standard is not backwards compatible with previous versions of HDCP.
This means that if one of the devices in your setup does not support HDCP 2.2, you will not be able to get a [email protected] signal on your display. You will only be able to get up to 1080p.
I had no issues. I used to have a Netgear 1080P media player attached to the switch. It had no effect on the capability of the UHD devices attached to the switch. Which was attached to one of the HDCP 2.2 inputs. But now I have it attached to one of the other inputs. And everything on the switches are UHD devices.

Although when I did have the Netgear attached, it would be powered off before using other devices. So I guess it's possible there could have been an issue if it was powered on?

post #790 of 1081 Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I picked up an amazon dot and a harmony hub that I want to use for some voice control over my set up. Is it possible to connect the dot via blue tooth to this receiver and then use the hub and Alexa to give it certain commands like play iheart radio. If not this way then using the 3.5 mm jack on the dot to an rca jack on receiver
post #791 of 1081 Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew64 View Post
I picked up an amazon dot and a harmony hub that I want to use for some voice control over my set up. Is it possible to connect the dot via blue tooth to this receiver and then use the hub and Alexa to give it certain commands like play iheart radio. If not this way then using the 3.5 mm jack on the dot to an rca jack on receiver
Ironically, I just ordered the Echo Dot and the Harmony Ultimate, and after doing some research the Dot does seem pair with AVR's via bluetooth for music playback, but you have to manually select the Bluetooth input. This is where I'm hoping that the Harmony Ultimate (also has voice command) will solve that issue.

As far as using the Echo for voice cammands, It should work by pairing it with the Harmony hub.

I'm still very curious as to how all of this will work together myself. I will receive my Harmony Ultimate tomorrow, and then the Echo on Friday....and hopefully, the option to operate everthing via voice command through the Echo/Harmony pairing works out like I hope it will.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #792 of 1081 Old 07-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovydiks View Post
Hello everyone!

My first post on this forum, great info here!

I got the 5.1 HTIB Onkyo HT-S7805 which include the R695 AVR which is the European version of the NR656 I believe. My question is if it's normal to obtain a decent volume I have to set every Channel to minimum +10 dB ? The AccuEq dosen't help at all, I have it turned off.

Another problem is that my PS4 Pro says that my TV isn't HDR compatible when I connect it to AVR and the AVR to TV on MAIN OUT, if connected directly to TV everything is OK.

With the included speakers, can you tell me how to configure the crossover for every channel ? I want the bass to go to SUB and not the speakers... now I have the fronts set to 80hz, center to 80Hz, height speakers to 90 and rears to 90 but I really don't like the sound. Heck, the Logitech z906 was more powerfull then this, but I'm sure that I didn't tuned this system ok.

Thanks!

Your Speaker's XO settings are generally set to 80hz for LCR, and your rear surrounds are usually set around 100-120hz with the Sub set to LFE. The LFE default is 120hz and there is no need to change this setting at all. Also, ensure that you have your speakers positioned properly...here is a link for that https://www.audioholics.com/home-the...theater-system. Sub placement is crucial as well. You can achieve this by doing a sub crawl (Google it). If you are limited on sub placement, then it is what it is, but you can wind up with nulls, and that'll deminish the bass response. This can be corrected (to an extent) with some tweaking of settings if your sub has a built in DSP. If not, then again...it is what it is. Lol

Now, with that being said, re-run your calibration with the mic set at your main listening position (ear level) on a tripod if possible. Otherwise, you can try to fashion something to place it on with whatever you can find around your house/garage/shop...you get the picture. Also note...whenever you're running the calibration, you need to make sure to be SILENT so that the software can fully detect the acoustics of your room.

NOTE: Whenever you're doing your calibration, you want to make sure that the sub trim on the AVR is landing in the negative db range (-10db to -7db is good on this AVR) once calibration has completed. Your sub provides it's own power, so there is no need to consume your AVR's power unnecessarily when it can be used for your speakers.

You can achieve this by making sure your sub gain is set at the one o'clock posistion (if it has a knob), or at -10db if you have the DSP. This can be adusted up or down to achieve your negative db trim setting on your AVR after calibration. Remember that this is just a starting point, and you can adjust this accordingly to reach your proper AVR trim setting.

Once this is done, you have room to bump your sub trim (AVR) up (or down...but who wants to do that??? ) a few db's hot and still be well in the -db range.

Once that's all complete, go into the settings and turn off AccuEQ (it's not needed at this point) and set your sound mode setting to either "Direct" or whatever your source material is playing, i.e., DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc.. I set mine to match the source material. It seems to have the best results. Also, make sure your BluRay player, XBox, MPC-HC, or whatever PC playback software using...if any...is set to bitstreaming. This also yields better results.

This is really just the basics to get started up. But I do suggest researching or even posting questions on a more appropriate thread, as there are plenty of knowledgable people here that can help you with issues concerning setup.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #793 of 1081 Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
Ironically, I just ordered the Echo Dot and the Harmony Ultimate, and after doing some research the Dot does seem pair with AVR's via bluetooth for music playback, but you have to manually select the Bluetooth input. This is where I'm hoping that the Harmony Ultimate (also has voice command) will solve that issue.

As far as using the Echo for voice cammands, It should work by pairing it with the Harmony hub.

I'm still very curious as to how all of this will work together myself. I will receive my Harmony Ultimate tomorrow, and then the Echo on Friday....and hopefully, the option to operate everthing via voice command through the Echo/Harmony pairing works out like I hope it will.
Let me know how yours goes. I’m getting my hub today. I was going to connect dot through the 3.5mm jack but then I read that it turns the internal speaker off and it can’t take the voice commands unless the receiver is on. That would mean unplugging the jack when don’t need the receiver. I basically want to control my tv with voice command but wanted option of playing music through the streaming services like tune in or I heart using the dot. Figure if can set up an activity for each it could turn on receiver and put it to station I ask it all by voice instead of fumbling through onkyo menu system.
post #794 of 1081 Old 07-19-2018, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let me know how yours goes. I’m getting my hub today. I was going to connect dot through the 3.5mm jack but then I read that it turns the internal speaker off and it can’t take the voice commands unless the receiver is on. That would mean unplugging the jack when don’t need the receiver. I basically want to control my tv with voice command but wanted option of playing music through the streaming services like tune in or I heart using the dot. Figure if can set up an activity for each it could turn on receiver and put it to station I ask it all by voice instead of fumbling through onkyo menu system.
Exactly! Lol...that’s what I’m most looking forward to as well.

Let me know how yours goes as well.

post #795 of 1081 Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I would go with the rca cable for the dot. I had very poor Bluetooth performance using the dot as a source. If you're open to the Google mini, it can cast to the receiver.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
post #796 of 1081 Old 07-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got my Echo & Harmony set up. I've been able to get everything paired up and responding to "most" commands. I think I need to change the names of my activities so that what I'm asking sounds more fluid, because sometimes Elexa is not able to understand my command. Other than that, everything is going pretty smooth.

P.S. The Echo paired up fine with the 656 via Bluetooth. Although, I had to place it where I have more of a line of site to keep it from cutting in and out. I think that was due to the AVR being placed inside my entertainment stand.

post #797 of 1081 Old 07-21-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
Got my Echo & Harmony set up. I've been able to get everything paired up and responding to "most" commands. I think I need to change the names of my activities so that what I'm asking sounds more fluid, because sometimes Elexa is not able to understand my command. Other than that, everything is going pretty smooth.

P.S. The Echo paired up fine with the 656 via Bluetooth. Although, I had to place it where I have more of a line of site to keep it from cutting in and out. I think that was due to the AVR being placed inside my entertainment stand.
Yes mine paired with the Bluetooth as well. Still working out some kinks in some of the commands for tv stuff. Or perfect but pretty cool.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #798 of 1081 Old 07-23-2018, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Receiver off but Z2 and HDMI light on... What have I done?
post #799 of 1081 Old 08-07-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm not missing a setting that would allow me to both keep my surround sound intact, as well as send audio to the TV right? (I run the audio from the TV back into an analog input of the receiver, which I then use for Zone 2.)
post #800 of 1081 Old 08-13-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
Test again with the center channel disconnected. If fault still occurs, then you have narrowed the issue to the two front channel speakers (sub is irrelevant as it is line level output not driven by receiver power amp).

If fault occurs with only two front speakers connected, try disconnecting one at a time to determine if the issue is with one or the other, in which case it must be an internal short, and can only be diagnosed if disassembled. If fault occurs with either one connected, then likely that these speakers actually do draw too much current by design and you should replace them both with another model.

Well, it's been a while. I have been going thru the tests but still get Chk Sp Wire error. Over the last month, I have bought a new set of banana plugs and new 16 gauge speaker wire. There's no fray on the lines. I plugged in each speaker one by one and let them play like from 30 minutes to a couple hours in some cases. There was no shut off to Amp Diag Mode. So I suspected all is well......I hooked up everything......and after a couple hours it goes off. I would disconnect the speakers and leave it with only two front/sub, it would shut off. It's almost like if you leave it off for a long period, it plays ok...but if it shuts off to Amp Diag Mode and put it on again.....even if you just do one speaker, it will shut off.
Should I try a factory reset as a last resort? I am now out of options.
post #801 of 1081 Old 08-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khidbz View Post
Well, it's been a while. I have been going thru the tests but still get Chk Sp Wire error. Over the last month, I have bought a new set of banana plugs and new 16 gauge speaker wire. There's no fray on the lines. I plugged in each speaker one by one and let them play like from 30 minutes to a couple hours in some cases. There was no shut off to Amp Diag Mode. So I suspected all is well......I hooked up everything......and after a couple hours it goes off. I would disconnect the speakers and leave it with only two front/sub, it would shut off. It's almost like if you leave it off for a long period, it plays ok...but if it shuts off to Amp Diag Mode and put it on again.....even if you just do one speaker, it will shut off.
Should I try a factory reset as a last resort? I am now out of options.
Perhaps it's a heat issue, since only occurs when running multiple speakers for several hours. How's your ventilation? Is there adequate space around the receiver with provision for air to flow in and out?
post #802 of 1081 Old 08-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it's a heat issue, since only occurs when running multiple speakers for several hours. How's your ventilation? Is there adequate space around the receiver with provision for air to flow in and out?
There is...it's in an open space. If it's a heat issue would it give a "Check Sp Wire" Error though?
post #803 of 1081 Old 08-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
There is...it's in an open space. If it's a heat issue would it give a "Check Sp Wire" Error though?
Wouldn't think so, but it's about the only theory I can offer, since you say the error only occurs with multiple speakers being driven for a relatively long time, and that scenario would increase heat if ventilation isn't adequate. Don't know what else to suggest other than testing with different speakers to eliminate possibility of an intermittent short in one of the current ones, which might also be more likely to occur as the speaker is driven for longer periods. If that's not it, then it sounds like a defect in the receiver.
post #804 of 1081 Old 08-19-2018, 10:53 AM

Hi Mate...(update)...yesterday I ran the receiver for a bit playing streaming audio (I would say about 6 hours) in stereo mode albeit all speakers were connected. It shut off. To assess the heat possibility, I had a small fan running on it for the entire time and the unit was not hot. But it still went into Amp Diag Mode...this was last night about 9pm it cut off. So I left it like that and turned it on this morning.....after about 5 minutes it went to Amp Diag Mode. I haven't done the factory reset as yet (should I do that), but I have a hunch this receiver is faulty and Onkyo support is not saying so.
post #805 of 1081 Old 08-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Hi Mate...(update)...yesterday I ran the receiver for a bit playing streaming audio (I would say about 6 hours) in stereo mode albeit all speakers were connected. It shut off. To assess the heat possibility, I had a small fan running on it for the entire time and the unit was not hot. But it still went into Amp Diag Mode...this was last night about 9pm it cut off. So I left it like that and turned it on this morning.....after about 5 minutes it went to Amp Diag Mode. I haven't done the factory reset as yet (should I do that), but I have a hunch this receiver is faulty and Onkyo support is not saying so.
My bet is that the amp is faulty. BUT, you've now completed a test where it failed while playing only the two stereo speakers. So, I would test again in stereo mode with two different speakers and no other speakers connected. If it goes into Amp Diag Mode again, then it's virtually certain the problem is with the receiver (provided you've absolutely eliminated the possibility of a short in your cables or connectors - which you say you have - but testing with another set of cables could confirm this). Finally a reset would make sense before testing one more time. If it fails again, with the second set of speakers, that would reconfirm it is the receiver.
post #806 of 1081 Old 08-21-2018, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
New firmware today. Not seen on the US site, but available for DL from International.
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/f.../tx-nr656.html

My system prompted me to update and didn't want to let me bypass without doing it. I disconnected the LAN and power cycled the AVR. I would rather update via USB than rely on Onkyo's servers or Comcast choking my modem halfway through. Might wait until the file appears on the US site, but the international site file is the same naming convention as the previous updates.

CORRECTION - The int'l file has an 'n' added to it. ONKAVR001F_E70000EAEAEOEO_N_119.zip
Though it's probably the same file used for the network update, I think I'll wait for the US file.

Latest Firmware Number (16 digits):2129-7050-7090-0010
As of 21 August 2018
Enhanced security.
Adds support for Deezer HiFi.
Depending on the Firmware version, update will be needed 2 times. (Their words, not mine)
aaronwt and Pennhaven like this.

Last edited by provels; 08-21-2018 at 03:24 AM.
post #807 of 1081 Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 PM
UHD Addict

My receiver is updating right now. Hopefully it goes ok. I forgot that I had updated from a USB drive in the past. But it's at 98% already.

post #808 of 1081 Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM
UHD Addict

Well it updated without any issues.

I just wish they would enable DTS processing from DD tracks. And DOlby processing from DTS tracks. Like it says you should be able to in the manual. I would prefer to use Dolby surround with all non ATMOS/DTS:X audio.

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-22-2018 at 04:44 PM.
post #809 of 1081 Old 08-26-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
My bet is that the amp is faulty. BUT, you've now completed a test where it failed while playing only the two stereo speakers. So, I would test again in stereo mode with two different speakers and no other speakers connected. If it goes into Amp Diag Mode again, then it's virtually certain the problem is with the receiver (provided you've absolutely eliminated the possibility of a short in your cables or connectors - which you say you have - but testing with another set of cables could confirm this). Finally a reset would make sense before testing one more time. If it fails again, with the second set of speakers, that would reconfirm it is the receiver.

Just by way of update,,,,,,Onkyo ask that I send in the receiver to a service center.
post #810 of 1081 Old 09-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey everyone, new NR656 owner here.

I have an Xbox One X plugged into one of the HDCP 2.2 HDMI ports, and I was able to enable Dolby Atmos on the Xbox, and playback UHD Blu-Rays and games in 5.1.2 (my selected speaker configuration). The Onkyo App and "Info button" show the input as ATMOS and output as 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos.

I got tired of the fact that Xbox One does not support HDMI-CEC (and thus I have to use the xbox controller to control the blu-ray) or Dolby Vision, so I purchased the Sony UBP-X700 UHD Blu-Ray player. It's advertised as supporting Dolby Atmos and Vision. It came in, and I applied the necessary firmware update to it to enable Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision now works, but I can't get the player to output Dolby Atmos (or DTS:X) to the Onkyo Receiver, no matter the settings. The receiver shows it's receiving Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or DTS Master Audio 7.1 only. That means it's receiving an HDMI audio bitstream - so it SHOULD be Atmos/DTS:X. I troubleshot this for hours, factory resetting it, trying all the different settings combinations, etc. Fact is, the player won't even TRY to send Atmos/DTS:X to the receiver. It defaults away from Atmos, and when FORCED to choose the Atmos track, even the Blu-Ray player shows the track as being DTS-MA or TrueHD, not DTS:X or Atmos. Almost like the player is asking the receiver "Do you support Atmos?" and the receiver is going "huh?", so the player says "guess not, here's TrueHD".

If I plug the Blu-Ray player directly into my TV, and let the audio go down to the receiver over HDMI ARC, I run into the other annoyance of this receiver - it always shows "UNKNOWN" as the input audio type for ARC. Even so, it shows that it's outputting 5.1 - not 5.1.2 - so I know Atmos is still not working.

I guess I'll return this blu-ray player, cause I don't know if Sony or Onkyo is to blame (maybe a bit of both), but it's annoying because I can't find ANYONE else who has this same issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.2 to 9.2 , apple tv , atmos , cox dvr , external amp , external amplifier , Onkyo , onkyo tx-656 , TX-NR656

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page