Onkyo TX-NR656 Owner's Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 719Likes

post #961 of 1054 Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick this receiver up used specifically because it has 2 HDMI output ports, but I would like to confirm my use since the manual isn't specific.

I currently have a 1080p TV and upgrading my projector to 4K (currently have 1080p projector)
current receiver outputs to HDMI splitter and 1 HDMI to TV and other to projector

I want to use 1 HDMI on NR656 to TV (1080p) and HDMI SUB output to 4K projector (4K HDR)

will this work? I can't confirm anywhere how the 2 outputs work, are they mirrored? do they output at the same time? or can you select one or the other? what resolutions can the HDMI sub output at?

for me its between the Onkyo TX-NR656 (because of the 2 outputs) or the Denon AVR-720 (but only has 1 HDMI output)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1054 Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick this receiver up used specifically because it has 2 HDMI output ports, but I would like to confirm my use since the manual isn't specific.

I currently have a 1080p TV and upgrading my projector to 4K (currently have 1080p projector)
current receiver outputs to HDMI splitter and 1 HDMI to TV and other to projector

I want to use 1 HDMI on NR656 to TV (1080p) and HDMI SUB output to 4K projector (4K HDR)

will this work? I can't confirm anywhere how the 2 outputs work, are they mirrored? do they output at the same time? or can you select one or the other? what resolutions can the HDMI sub output at?

for me its between the Onkyo TX-NR656 (because of the 2 outputs) or the Denon AVR-720 (but only has 1 HDMI output)

Thanks
If you go to the advanced manual here https://www.onkyo.com/manual/txnr656/adv/en/003.html and then click on 1, TV Out/OSD then HDMI you will see you can do either, which is MAIN or SUB, or both which is MAIN+SUB and even though the manual is not specific about it, i suspect it would be mirrored if you use both. Note that if you do use both you will need to select MAIN+SUB for the HDMI out to get both though.
post #963 of 1054 Old 02-19-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
Hi all,

Thanks
If you are streaming, I would see if both ports will accept ARC, or only the main port which is marked ARC.

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1054 Old 02-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post
If you are streaming, I would see if both ports will accept ARC, or only the main port which is marked ARC.
One thing to note is when I've had mine on main+sub before, the picture seems to get kind of flickery, like it is splitting the refresh rate between the two ports or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimmy View Post
If you go to the advanced manual here https://www.onkyo.com/manual/txnr656/adv/en/003.html and then click on 1, TV Out/OSD then HDMI you will see you can do either, which is MAIN or SUB, or both which is MAIN+SUB and even though the manual is not specific about it, i suspect it would be mirrored if you use both. Note that if you do use both you will need to select MAIN+SUB for the HDMI out to get both though.
Pretty sure only main will support arc.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
post #965 of 1054 Old 03-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Well, it looks like I'm finally experiencing my issues with this one.

I've had 2 shutdowns in the last couple of days, and whenever I power it back on, it runs an amp diagnostic testing each channel. Luckily they've all passed both times, but I think it just may be the beginning of the end.

With that said, it looks like I may be replacing this one sooner than I had planned to. Oh well...at least I've gotten my $250 worth out of it. Lol

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #966 of 1054 Old 03-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Last night I bought an SACD and also downloaded a 24 bit CD. I can get either to play. I did get the 24bit cd to play but it said it was playing at 16. I’m running it through JRiver media center from my pc through DLNA. Is it the receiver or JRiver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #967 of 1054 Old 03-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
anyone using apple tv 4k on this and able to get dolby vision after the 12.2 update?
post #968 of 1054 Old 04-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Unhappy Onkyo TX-NR656 Shuts Off randomly

Hello,
I am facing the same problem described in this forum for Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver.
After 6 months working fine it starts writting "Thermal Error" on display upon powering up.
Two months later it stars shutting down randomly during a movie play. It could happen the first minutes, could happen after 1h play, 2h play, at a random manner.
Every time it shuts off when trying powering up again, it says "AMP Diag Mode", and then say "CHECK SP WIRE". You turns it off and on again and it continuous playing some minutes or hours up to the next shut off.
I manage to get a service manual in internet and could check that it always shuts off because current protection.
After several tests, using many different volumes, speakers and speakers wires I finally understand that the problem is complete random and happens even if the system has nothing connected to it, not even speakers wires, you just turns it on and waits for a while and the unit will shuts off.
When you turn it on again, after it completes it's Amp Diag test, you are able to checl the protection counters and the current protection counter has been increased by one.
Some times this happen even when you are powering up the unit.
I have updated the system firmware to the latest, dated on 18 December 2018 and did not fix.
I took it to an Onkyo authorized repair service and they told me the problem was the HDMI board. Well I replace the HDMI board and the problem still remains.
Some how the current protection circuit is being triggered, out of nothing being played or plugged to the receiver.
But how can I find out which of the 7 channel is tripping the current protection? Is there any hidden service menu to show that? Is there any one facing this same trouble?
Any idea is welcome.
post #969 of 1054 Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminger View Post
Hello,
I am facing the same problem described in this forum for Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver.
After 6 months working fine it starts writting "Thermal Error" on display upon powering up.
Two months later it stars shutting down randomly during a movie play. It could happen the first minutes, could happen after 1h play, 2h play, at a random manner.
Every time it shuts off when trying powering up again, it says "AMP Diag Mode", and then say "CHECK SP WIRE". You turns it off and on again and it continuous playing some minutes or hours up to the next shut off.
I manage to get a service manual in internet and could check that it always shuts off because current protection.
After several tests, using many different volumes, speakers and speakers wires I finally understand that the problem is complete random and happens even if the system has nothing connected to it, not even speakers wires, you just turns it on and waits for a while and the unit will shuts off.
When you turn it on again, after it completes it's Amp Diag test, you are able to checl the protection counters and the current protection counter has been increased by one.
Some times this happen even when you are powering up the unit.
I have updated the system firmware to the latest, dated on 18 December 2018 and did not fix.
I took it to an Onkyo authorized repair service and they told me the problem was the HDMI board. Well I replace the HDMI board and the problem still remains.
Some how the current protection circuit is being triggered, out of nothing being played or plugged to the receiver.
But how can I find out which of the 7 channel is tripping the current protection? Is there any hidden service menu to show that? Is there any one facing this same trouble?
Any idea is welcome.
The latest firmware is 2140-0050-7090-0010 dated 4-18-2019.

Once you are sure the speaker wire is not touching the back panel of the unit then you can be sure your issue is caused by something else. Heat is also an issue, have you tried using the dimmer to lower the brightness of the display? You can also try to clear the units memory and start fresh. There is a specific order of buttons to press on the unit used for clearing the memory of the unit, i can't remember nor find it at the moment of posting this but it is somewhere in the manual or quick start guide which tends to work too.
post #970 of 1054 Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 PM

Thanks Brimmy for trying to help.
Mine TX-NR656 is acting the same as the other older post for TX-NR636.
Where have you download this 2140-0050-7090-0010 dated 4-18-2019 firmware?
The one I got was on an international Onkyo site and was dated from last December, this one you got have been released 4 days ago.
I am sure about the shuts off random mode because I started to notice it has nothing to to do with volume level and type o surround you are decoding, specially because sometimes it was happening upon powering up. So I decide to remove all cables from the unit, including the speakers cables. And for my surprise the unit went off several times due to protect current action. And I am sure about it because when powering up again there comes the “Amp Diag Mode” and later I can check the increase on the current counter protection.
I have some videos on that, some times it takes only about 5min to happen and some almost 15min, but it can take hours or may shuts off upon waking up the unit. If the shuts off was due to inactivity timers then it will not go into Amp Diag Mode on the next power up.
I will try the clear all reset but I am most sure it will not fix my problem.
post #971 of 1054 Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 PM

There are different Onkyo sites that posts information about firmware and i have found that some sites take longer than others to update the information. Check this page https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/articles...56-130558.html

I have not downloaded this firmware yet as i have been a it busy lately. I have always used the ethernet jack on my Onkyo 656 to update firmware as i have my receiver hooked up to an uninterruptible power supply, the Onkyo site suggests using USB, you can read about that in the firmware instructions on this site https://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php, just scroll to TX-NR656 the new firmware is also hosted there. If you find it a bit to difficult for you then you can use the ethernet jack on the receiver to check for new firmware.

I hope you get your receiver working properly.
post #972 of 1054 Old 05-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unable to update firmware not passing 9%

Hi All

My TXNR656 is now bricked, i attempted to update the firmware using WIFI and never passed 9% and its showing "1-83" error on the display, i have tried everything and tried all the firmares i have found, do you know what i can do? Also factory reset does not work, as soon as i turn it onn the display says PLEASe UPDATE.

Thanks
post #973 of 1054 Old 05-01-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipiri2001 View Post
Hi All

My TXNR656 is now bricked, i attempted to update the firmware using WIFI and never passed 9% and its showing "1-83" error on the display, i have tried everything and tried all the firmares i have found, do you know what i can do? Also factory reset does not work, as soon as i turn it onn the display says PLEASe UPDATE.

Thanks
I'd contact Onkyo, I believe they still have the extended replacement plan running.
post #974 of 1054 Old 05-02-2019, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hi All

Thanks
Try the file from here. https://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php
Here's a procedure I bookmarked from another site. No guarantees.

"Anyway, firmware files must be extracted to the root of USB drive.

Disconnect Ethernet/Wifi, just in case.

Insert USB drive. Hold 'USB' button and press 'ON/Standby'.

Message "[Enter] USB update" shall appear. Hit 'Enter' to start flashing.. wait and pray there is no electricity cut-off. "

Good luck. I updated over wired Ethernet this time, but I think I'll go back to USB as Onkyo recommends.

Last edited by provels; 05-02-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #975 of 1054 Old 05-02-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Updated over internet, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #976 of 1054 Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Hi All

Thanks
Provels is correct, read and understand the method for flashing via USB and then do it, it should flash with ease. NEVER use WIFI to flash the firmware..
post #977 of 1054 Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimmy View Post
Provels is correct, read and understand the method for flashing via USB and then do it, it should flash with ease. NEVER use WIFI to flash the firmware..
Thank but this is not about how to flash it, i´ve done it several times succesfully, in this case the the receiver is bricked, i just took it today to service and they confirm it.

Thanks
post #978 of 1054 Old 05-02-2019, 05:05 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9299 Post(s)
Liked: 5984
What does the new firmware, 2140-0050-7090-0010 from 4-18-2019 add?

I just updated my receiver to it.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #979 of 1054 Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What does the new firmware, 2140-0050-7090-0010 from 4-18-2019 add?

I just updated my receiver to it.
Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.

Read about it here - http://redirect.onkyousa.com/redirec..._4-18-2019.pdf
aaronwt likes this.
post #980 of 1054 Old 05-09-2019, 07:27 AM

Is anyone actually using the 4k upscaling on the 656? I just bought my first 4k TV (Samsung NU6950 55") and find the picture from my Comcast 1080p XG1-P simply excellent with the Onkyo's 4k turned off letting the Samsung upscale. Also, I enabled ARC and am simply amazed that it Just Works with streaming apps.

post #981 of 1054 Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by provels View Post
Is anyone actually using the 4k upscaling on the 656? I just bought my first 4k TV (Samsung NU6950 55") and find the picture from my Comcast 1080p XG1-P simply excellent with the Onkyo's 4k turned off letting the Samsung upscale. Also, I enabled ARC and am simply amazed that it Just Works with streaming apps.
Yes. I've tried it on TX-RZ710 (similar to TX-NR757). The generally accepted wisdom is that most, if not all, 4k displays do a better job of up-scaling than can be accomplished by the digital processor in an AVR at this price point.
provels likes this.
post #982 of 1054 Old 05-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by provels View Post
Until the day that it just mysteriously doesn't In the meantime, enjoy the new setup!
Sorax likes this.
post #983 of 1054 Old 05-13-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherSteel View Post
Couple of questions.

My 656 (at least I thought) was acting wonky two days ago. Never had an issue. Went to play a blu-ray and no sound. Info showed ANALOG. Checked the player, everything seemed fine. Switched HDMI ports on the back, same issue. Plugged it directly into the tv, no issue. So I did a firmware update that said successful. Went to bed and did troubleshooting the next day. Well, the next day, no video was out put from the receiver on any HDMI port. Turning OFF the receiver, allowed video to pass through to the tv just fine. Called Onkyo and in the end, they had me factory reset. This got video and audio working again. At least for my Apple TV. However the blu-ray player still has no audio on any HDMI port. Apple TV works on all ports audio and video. So either my blu-ray player is bad or there is an audio issue/setting not right. The info on the screen for when I am playing a blu-ray - says - ANALOG.

Another odd thing, if the receiver is on before I turn the blu-ray player on, then turn the player on, the receiver switches input to TV??? It doesn't stay on BD/DVD. I have to switch it back. Am I missing something?
Found this post while searching for a solution to my newfound "no audio from Samsung Bluray player" challenge . Mine was plugged into one one the HDCP 2.2 ports (#1) but also displayed "Analog" in audio info. Cable box was in #2 , so I tried #3 , no good. Changed cables, nothing. Added a Toslink cable and assigned the optical port to it and got sound. Already had latest firmware, and had reset after installing it. Happened to try one of the non-HDCP 2.2 ports and sound worked fine without Toslink. Not sure if it's a glitch in the firmware or that HDCP 2.2 ports aren't backward compatible. I play disks so infrequently that it may have been this way for a while.

For the other problem, sounds like CEC is turned on his 656 and BR player. AFAIK, CEC is only needed on the 656 if you're doing ARC and the BR if you want to use the same remote for both.

post #984 of 1054 Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

The end has finally come, and I've replacd the 656 with the Denon X2400H.

I hope you all continue to get plenty more enjoyment from your 656's. It's a great AVR for it's price point.

Now, I suppose I'll be moving over to the Denon threads to bug those guys. Lol

Happy listening!

Darrell
aaronwt likes this.

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #985 of 1054 Old 05-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
The end has finally come, and I've replacd the 656 with the Denon X2400H.

I hope you all continue to get plenty more enjoyment from your 656's. It's a great AVR for it's price point.

Now, I suppose I'll be moving over to the Denon threads to bug those guys. Lol

Happy listening!

Darrell
Congrats on the switch - hope the 2400 brings you good times. If you have the inclination I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on a comparison between the two.
post #986 of 1054 Old 05-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Congrats on the switch - hope the 2400 brings you good times. If you have the inclination I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on a comparison between the two.
Thanks for the response.

I'm actually enjoying the sound differences, for both movies & music. The sound is a bit more lively/detailed for both, but for music, that's where it's really shining for me. For both, the bass is a bit more punchy as well. Which means I'm going to be at it for awhile gettting things tweaked and dialed back in to where I've got the low end to match the mid-bass...but that's pretty much going to happen anytime you add a new component into the mix I suppose. Lol

I don't really want to get off topic on this thread regarding another product, so once I have more time with it I'll post on the other thread.

On another note...

Can somebody help me figure out why I'm unable to edit my signature? I've searched the forums and have to get an answer.

Last edited by d-rail34; 05-18-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #987 of 1054 Old 05-23-2019, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just got the LG UBK90 and I'd like to use the audio out to the Onkyo and connect video directly to the TV (Vizio M50-E1).

Whenever I do this, I get zero audio through the receiver just picture on the TV. But if I change the source of the receiver to where the player is plugged in, I get audio only.

Is there any way I can do this?
post #988 of 1054 Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 PM

What input on The Onkyo are you using? I had to put mine on BD/DVD to get sound. I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #989 of 1054 Old 05-24-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Cable/Sat. I'll try that too.
post #990 of 1054 Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post
Cable/Sat. I'll try that too.

I take it back, input is set to tv, and I had to unplug the tv and the arc hdmi on the receiver then one I turned everything back on I got sound from the apps through the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.2 to 9.2 , apple tv , atmos , cox dvr , external amp , external amplifier , Onkyo , onkyo tx-656 , TX-NR656

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page