Onkyo TX-NR656 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 714Likes

post #991 of 1019 Old 05-24-2019, 07:19 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8956 Post(s)
Liked: 5734
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2006 View Post
What input on The Onkyo are you using? I had to put mine on BD/DVD to get sound. I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You need it on one of the three HDCP 2.2 HDMI inputs. The buttons can be assigned to any of the inputs.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1019 Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah it didn't work.

I'm just going to return it and use my Samsung 4K player. It worked great I just wanted a player that does DV. OH wellll.
post #993 of 1019 Old 05-24-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just bought the same player and works fine with 1 hdmi the receiver. May be you got a dud?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1019 Old 05-24-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Angry

I just updated to 2140-0050-7090-0010 from 2139-9050-7090-0010 and my Chromecast built-in seems to have become more broken that it was before.

Originally, the Chromecast built-in worked great! Audio seemed to be perfectly in sync with other Chromecast / Google Home devices when playing in a group. After updating to 2139-9050-7090-0010 (or maybe the firmware before that..), Chromecast built-in still worked well, but I found that if the AVR lost power, the Chromecast built-in was completely gone until a factory reset of the AVR was performed. Incredibly annoying, but it's rare for me to lose power, so not the end of the world. This same behavior was present on my SBT-A500 after updating the firmware, so definitely a bug Onkyo introduced.

After updating to 2140-0050-7090-0010, that Chromecast bug seems to be gone--CC comes back after power loss. Hooray....ish. There's now a new bug for the 656 that's worse (in my opinion). There's also a new bug for the SBT-A500, but it's different (no audio when playing in a group). The new 656 bug plays music about half-second ahead of the rest of the audio group. Since the Google Home app only allows you to adjust 200ms, I can't fix this on my own. Not being able to use audio groups breaks the entire reason I went Onkyo to begin with--Chromecast / Google Home is my whole home audio solution.

Anyone else experiencing this or similar? By the few hits I get when searching these Chromecast built-in problems, it feels like I'm either the only person having issues or the only person that actually uses the built-in Chromecast. I'm definitely out of warranty now, so I doubt Onkyo support would do anything for me. To be honest, I wish I could downgrade my firmware back to mid-last year.

Last edited by xenokira; 05-25-2019 at 05:49 AM.
post #995 of 1019 Old 06-01-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokira View Post
To be honest, I wish I could downgrade my firmware back to mid-last year.
I have copies of the old FW, going back to 115 (Dec 2017) if interested, but it would be up to you to figure out the downgrade.

post #996 of 1019 Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have my 656 hooked up to my LG oled via HDMI2, using arc.
Over the time i`ve had it, occasionally the LG will show "No Signal Detected" "Please Check Connections". I just change inputs and back to what i want to watch and everything is fine.....until last night. It happened again, but nothing happens when i try and change inputs.
No visuals, but i have audio. I can hear Sky Tv. I hear X box/Playstation turn on etc. When i plug those consoles straight into the Tv, all work fine, so i know they and the HDMI cables aren't the problem. I have used 3 different HDMI`s from HDMI Out Main (Arc), to the TV HDMI IN, 2 (Arc), and none work, (apart from audio).
Nothing has changed, no settings touched.
When i go to the LG settings-All Inputs-HDMI2, the preview box in the centre is black with "No Signal"and underneath, the Connected Device Info is empty, with "No Information", where it used to say "Onkyo AV Receiver Connected".
I decided to see if there was a system update available, using the menu on the Receiver, and there was. I updated it, and the LG preview box realized and showed it was connected to the Receiver, (getting my hopes up), but after the update, it disappeared and i still have no picture.
So...has anyone any info on this, is it a big issue, can it be repaired cheaply, (its not even 2 years old), have i any chance of Onkyo fixing it for free??
post #997 of 1019 Old 06-19-2019, 01:50 PM

Just FYI, it looks like we may no longer need to be concerned about firmware updates. They have redesigned the downloads page at https://www.onkyousa.com/downloads/ and no longer include links to firmware for the 656. And the international page https://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/f.../tx-nr656.html is stuck back on December's 121 update.

EDIT - Disregard. Maybe the onkyousa page was still under construction. There are now FW updates shown for the 656.

Last edited by provels; 06-21-2019 at 05:01 AM.
post #998 of 1019 Old 06-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Haggar View Post
I decided to see if there was a system update available, using the menu on the Receiver, and there was. I updated it, and the LG preview box realized and showed it was connected to the Receiver, (getting my hopes up), but after the update, it disappeared and i still have no picture.
So...has anyone any info on this, is it a big issue, can it be repaired cheaply, (its not even 2 years old), have i any chance of Onkyo fixing it for free??
Before involving Onkyo, I would try resetting the Onkyo to defaults and setting it up again. Hold the CABLE/SAT input button on the front of the receiver along with the POWER button until you see CLEAR on the display. If that doesn't work, try resetting the LG. HTH

post #999 of 1019 Old 06-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provels View Post
Before involving Onkyo, I would try resetting the Onkyo to defaults and setting it up again. Hold the CABLE/SAT input button on the front of the receiver along with the POWER button until you see CLEAR on the display. If that doesn't work, try resetting the LG. HTH
Thanx Provels.
I did the reset, and it all works fine again.
Any idea why it does that, and i have read that reset will only work a few times, if its a problem with the HDMI board. It will eventually die for good, and reset will not work.
Cheers again.
post #1000 of 1019 Old 06-21-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Haggar View Post
Thanx Provels.
I did the reset, and it all works fine again.
Any idea why it does that, and i have read that reset will only work a few times, if its a problem with the HDMI board. It will eventually die for good, and reset will not work.
Cheers again.
Why? That's software. After dealing with Microsoft and a quadrillion possible combinations of hardware and software for the last 30 years, I am always amazed that anything works as well as it does. You should be able to reset far more times than you will need to. The Onkyo HDMI problems from the past were mostly the result of components (caps and voltage regulators) on the HDMI board that were overheated by components on the main board below. I had a 606 (2008) that ran like a space heater (and I mean after it ran for a while you could barely keep your hand on it), and when the caps/regs failed after about 18 months (it was a refurb so only had 1 year warranty) , I replaced them and added a 120mm cooling fan to the case. It still runs today, but I bought my 656 when the price dropped in 2017. Comparatively, the 656 runs extremely cool. I wouldn't sweat it. OOnly thing I would recommend is that you run any firmware updates from a USB flash-drive and not over the Internet. No telling when your connection might crap out or somewhere in between you and Asia. I would much rather have the update file local. At any rate, you're fixed now (err, FOR now...).

post #1001 of 1019 Old 07-02-2019, 12:00 AM

Onkyo TX-NR656 doesn't recognise my speakers

Hi All,

I lost power to the house last week whilst I was overseas and when I finally had power reconnected my receiver had reset itself. I can get picture on my TV from my apple tv, sat box but when I do the initial setup it fails to recognise my speakers. It does not "see" my subwoofer or any of the connected speakers. I have done a factory reset and this still failed to work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
post #1002 of 1019 Old 07-02-2019, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr67 View Post
Hi All,

I lost power to the house last week whilst I was overseas and when I finally had power reconnected my receiver had reset itself. I can get picture on my TV from my apple tv, sat box but when I do the initial setup it fails to recognise my speakers. It does not "see" my subwoofer or any of the connected speakers. I have done a factory reset and this still failed to work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
Do you have the calibration mic plugged in? I assume you mean when it's trying to do a calibration?

Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000.
post #1003 of 1019 Old 07-03-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr67 View Post
It does not "see" my subwoofer or any of the connected speakers. I have done a factory reset and this still failed to work.
If you haven't already, try unplugging the receiver from the AC for about 30 seconds.

post #1004 of 1019 Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
HDCP 2.2 error on Onkyo TX-NR656

I'm getting an HDCP error. Here are the details. I have a Windows 10 PC plugged into the Onkyo HDMI input 2 (one of the three HDCP 2.2 inputs). The output is configured for MAIN and plugged into HDMI input 1 on my Vizio M801d. If I navigate to Netflix I get an HDCP 2.2 error as soon as the page starts to render. If I plug the PC straight into the Vizio (same HDMI input 1), all works just fine - no HDCP error.

To test the Onkyo, I have tried plugging the PC into each of the first three HDMI inputs with no change. I even did a full factory reset without any changes. Additionally I have confirmed both HDMI cables in use work directly when plugging the PC straight into the Vizio.

So... anyone have any ideas why the Onkyo isn't handshaking the HDCP connection
post #1005 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsis View Post
So... anyone have any ideas why the Onkyo isn't handshaking the HDCP connection
Well, no, but there is new firmware out again if interested. Might help, might hurt.
https://www.onkyousa.com/downloads/

On another note, this is the only thread I subscribe to here, but I am seldom notified of new posts. I have to un/resubscribe. Is this a common complaint?

Last edited by provels; 07-10-2019 at 05:59 AM.
post #1006 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Well, no, but there is new firmware out again if interested. Might help, might hurt.

On another note, this is the only thread I subscribe to here, but I am seldom notified of new posts. I have to un/resubscribe. Is this a common complaint?

You will only see notifications for new posts if you visit the thread while signed in after each post.

Recommend the app “Tapatalk” to get around that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1007 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Well, updated the firmware last night (that was a good thought by the way) but nothing related to the issue changed.

For the record, the HDCP error is being created by the receiver, not Netflix directly. I know this because I do not get the Netflix error but a blue screen with the the HDCP 2.2 connection error and an OK button. The Onkyo remote 'Enter' button acknowledges the OK. I then just get a blue screen, with audio. The error basically kills all video from that input, the issue is insidious. To 'fix' it, I need to kill Netflix in the browser by hitting the cheesy 'Home' button on the keyboard THEN unplug/plug the HDMI back into the receiver - just switching inputs does nothing.

For the time being, I've replaced the PC with one running Windows 7 and that runs fine but with Windows 7 ending support next year, I'd like very much to have a Windows 10 solution. I'd like to blame Windows 10 for the issue but since it works wonderfully if plugged directly into the Vizio, I have to think the problem is the receiver.
post #1008 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
You will only see notifications for new posts if you visit the thread while signed in after each post.

Recommend the app “Tapatalk” to get around that issue.
Not sure that's it but will monitor. I resubscribed this AM and got 3 notifications (2 replies/1 quote). When I went to reply to you, I had to login. Are you saying if I get a notification and visit the thread (after my previous login has probably expired), I won't get any more updates?

post #1009 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well, updated the firmware last night (that was a good thought by the way) but nothing related to the issue changed.

For the record, the HDCP error is being created by the receiver, not Netflix directly. I know this because I do not get the Netflix error but a blue screen with the the HDCP 2.2 connection error and an OK button. The Onkyo remote 'Enter' button acknowledges the OK. I then just get a blue screen, with audio. The error basically kills all video from that input, the issue is insidious. To 'fix' it, I need to kill Netflix in the browser by hitting the cheesy 'Home' button on the keyboard THEN unplug/plug the HDMI back into the receiver - just switching inputs does nothing.

For the time being, I've replaced the PC with one running Windows 7 and that runs fine but with Windows 7 ending support next year, I'd like very much to have a Windows 10 solution. I'd like to blame Windows 10 for the issue but since it works wonderfully if plugged directly into the Vizio, I have to think the problem is the receiver.
So this has never worked with the Win10 PC? Or works after your juggling procedure? Dunno, but if the Onk understands Win7 but not Win10, maybe the Win10 is speaking Klingon. Maybe a driver update/rollback on the Win10 box would help? Using stock MS drivers or manufacturers?

post #1010 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Yeah, the Windows 10 thing is new. Its been running with a Win 7 PC all along. Like I said, I'd jump to blame Win 10 if it didn't work so well with the PC directing into the Vizio.

Geezie, if ARC actually worked between the Vizio and the Onk, I'd just do that but ARC (or CEC in general) between the TV and Onkyo just doesn't want to link up (and that's not a new problem).
post #1011 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Are you saying if I get a notification and visit the thread (after my previous login has probably expired), I won't get any more updates?

If you visit the thread without being logged into the forum that will not count as you checking the thread and all subsequent posts will not be notified to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
provels likes this.
post #1012 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the Windows 10 thing is new. Its been running with a Win 7 PC all along. Like I said, I'd jump to blame Win 10 if it didn't work so well with the PC directing into the Vizio.

Geezie, if ARC actually worked between the Vizio and the Onk, I'd just do that but ARC (or CEC in general) between the TV and Onkyo just doesn't want to link up (and that's not a new problem).
FWIW, ARC works fine with my Samsung, but is only supported on the Samsung's HDMI2 input. And it's the Onk that returns the error, not the TV? Dunno, sorry.

post #1013 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
If you visit the thread without being logged into the forum that will not count as you checking the thread and all subsequent posts will not be notified to you.
Hmm, OK, thanks.

post #1014 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the Windows 10 thing is new.
Is it an Edge thing? Tried IE? Or are you using the Win10 Netflix PC app?

Last edited by provels; 07-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #1015 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM

I've tried both the original Edge and the new chromium based Edge, even Firefox. Bottom line however is that when Win 10 plugged into the Vizio handshakes just fine in all three browsers. The Win 10 PC only fails the handshake if routed through the Onkyo.

And while it really feels like the Onk is the issue (and I'd replace the receiver in a heartbeat if I was sure that would address it) I just can't be sure.
post #1016 of 1019 Old 07-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I've tried both the original Edge and the new chromium based Edge, even Firefox. Bottom line however is that when Win 10 plugged into the Vizio handshakes just fine in all three browsers. The Win 10 PC only fails the handshake if routed through the Onkyo.

And while it really feels like the Onk is the issue (and I'd replace the receiver in a heartbeat if I was sure that would address it) I just can't be sure.
Maybe try the app (I just downloaded it to my laptop, pretty slick), but if no go, i'd look at maybe video drivers on the PC. That's about all I got.

post #1017 of 1019 Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I just updated to 2140-0050-7090-0010 from 2139-9050-7090-0010 and my Chromecast built-in seems to have become more broken that it was before.
Just a quick update on this--Applying the latest firmware to both my TX-NR656 and SBT-A500 seems to have resolved all Chromecast issues I've seen over the last couple firmware firmware versions.
post #1018 of 1019 Old Today, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Just a quick update on this--Applying the latest firmware to both my TX-NR656 and SBT-A500 seems to have resolved all Chromecast issues I've seen over the last couple firmware firmware versions.
Did everything work OK this time without a factory reset?
post #1019 of 1019 Old Today, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
Did everything work OK this time without a factory reset?
Yup! No factory reset necessary. Still working great after a few days

It's probably worth mentioning that I did not test for one of the bugs I saw previously--In the ~December 2018 firmware, Chromecast would be lost forever (until a factory reset) if the unit lost power. As that was fixed in the ~April 2019 update, I'm assuming that particular bug has not returned. I'll test for it later, but don't have time at the moment to reconfigure everything if I need to do a factory reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.2 to 9.2 , atmos , external amp , external amplifier , Onkyo , TX-NR656