Onkyo TX-NR656 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 721Likes

post #181 of 1067 Old 06-13-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I believe there is, but you can always turn off your display and watch on the AVR's display. I believe it showed update status. Though I doubt you'd get any burn-in in 10 minutes.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1067 Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I believe there is, but you can always turn off your display and watch on the AVR's display. I believe it showed update status. Though I doubt you'd get any burn-in in 10 minutes.
I didn't see anything...that's likely because it goes into standby while updating.

My front panel looked like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170612_164822.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	2187721  
post #183 of 1067 Old 06-13-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyBoy View Post
I have also heard the clicks, just like you've described. I've seen reports from other owners who have also heard it.

I haven't been able to pinpoint the click to any particular audio or video mode. It seems like whenever I turn the unit on, sooner or later there will always be a single click. There doesn't seem to be any repeated clicks or relay chattering. When it happens, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable change to the audio or video. I don't see any adverse effects.

It really hasn't bothered me, but it sure would be nice to know what's going on. Hopefully, a firmware update will come along and fix it.

I do have the most recent firmware installed.
The relay clicks thing I don't think is new to Onkyo. My old 2008 HT-R580 did this as well. The 656 does it too but it's not too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 1067 Old 06-14-2017, 11:26 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
The relay clicks thing I don't think is new to Onkyo. My old 2008 HT-R580 did this as well. The 656 does it too but it's not too bad.
My old onkyo did the same thing. Most of the time it's switching to process and accommodate the incoming sound sources i.e. Dolby, surround, stereo and so on. Not all tv stations broadcast the same sound or visual quality formats. The receiver is constantly trying to keep your listening/viewing experience seamless.
post #185 of 1067 Old 06-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
I hear the click too. I just assumed it was going into like a rest mode or something. 🤣
post #186 of 1067 Old 06-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
finally did the update today & the update progress was shown on the avr display & tv screen was blank, after 10mins the update was finished & showed completed, i was going to turn the receiver off as it was mentioned in the instruction but was doing some reading on the pc & after few mins the avr went to standby, any idea if the standby kicked in after few mins of completion of the firmware update? hope its that

Last edited by blackspider; 06-18-2017 at 03:17 PM.
post #187 of 1067 Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm also experiencing the click issue. I just picked up the 656 for a secondary system in a bedroom. I have it running 2.0 channel only with a pair of tower speakers. I've noticed that, after about a half-hour of use, I hear another "on" click again when listening to music, gaming or watching a film. I am not switching inputs or sound modes, and there is no audio or video distortion. Has anyone found out if this is something to worry about?

Last edited by wcladley; 06-18-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #188 of 1067 Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcladley View Post
I'm also experiencing the click issue. I just picked up the 656 for a secondary system in a bedroom. I have it running 2.0 channel only with a pair of tower speakers. I've noticed that, after about a half-hour of use, I hear another "on" click again when listening to music, gaming or watching a film. I am not switching inputs or sound modes, and there is no audio or video distortion. Has anyone found out if this is something to worry about?
no problem, the onkyo 656 just clicks randomly & after what i read, its the nature of the avr.
post #189 of 1067 Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
I just installed receiver. I have laptop hooked to pc input. The receiver will not disconnect from laptop when switch to another input. I dont want to have to unplug hdmi cable every time I want to use computer. My sony would disconnect when sat input selected. What can I do?
Well that other HDMI switch didn't work either. It turned off signal to receiver but did not release the laptop. Now have two switches that I don't need. Finally figured out that I need to use the duplicate screen setting and lock the computer after every use. After using the Onkyo for a couple weeks really was not much of an upgrade from my Sony.
post #190 of 1067 Old 06-20-2017, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

When I was watching "Guardians of the Galaxy" I heard rumbles from the sub during the explosion at the Collectors lair that I've never heard before. This thing is doing its job I must say. ☺️

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #191 of 1067 Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Noob Question on Configuring my TX-NR656 and Subwoofer

Looking for some advice on configuring my speaker settings on my NR656, mainly my subwoofer/front speakers. I have a Yamaha YST-SW45 sub and a pair of Sony SSB-1000 bookshelf speakers for my fronts. My old amp didn't have LFE, so I just ran the speaker terminals to the sub inputs and then from the sub outputs to the R and L speakers. Now that I upgraded to the NR656, I'm not sure if I should keep that setup or use the LFE output and hook it up to one of the Input 2 terminals.

I've read some comments that using the high pass feed to the sub is a better method, but I'm concerned is if I am missing out on some functionality of the receiver by not using the LFE, such as proper tuning with the AccuEQ (though from some of the comments on here I wonder if AccuEQ is even worth using). If I do keep the current config, how do I properly set it up? I noticed that it set the front crossover to Full Band as a default when no sub is active in the 5.1 setup. So do I then just set the high cut on the sub to 80hz so that it passes the higher frequency on to the R and L speakers?

Also, on a side note/question, my first attempt at the auto setup of the receiver ran the AccuEQ and the resulting sound was not very good, especially from my center channel which sounded thin and hollow, like it was coming from the crappy TV speakers. So I ended up turning it off. Then when I was playing with the settings tonight, I noticed when I brought up the quick menu, I didn't have the option to turn the AccuEQ on or off any more. A bit of fiddling revealed that it was due to being in Direct Mode, which turns off all the processing on the audio. So then I looked through all the available audio mode options and got a bit overwhelmed. Should I be using direct all the time and simply letting the source drive what format to use, or should I be setting it to one of the other modes based on what I know about the source audio format?

Thanks!
post #192 of 1067 Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM

got a new sub 2 days back & ran accu setup with the subwoofer on 12" clock volume settings, the placement of the sub is just where my earlier jamo sub250 was, this is a taga sw10 which has 10" driver & bigger in size, now after the auto setup, it makes my sub level to +7db, when the test is running i can feel the bass all over the room & its intense, what whats wrong & why is it giving such a high level? any idea on this? I have connected to sub through a y cable that came with the sub, 2rca to sub & 1rca to onkyo.

Thanks.
post #193 of 1067 Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure if you really need to split the LFE signal using the Y-adapter. Pretty sure you can just use a single RCA cable from the AVR to the left channel of the sub. (I could be wrong on this, not sure how they implemented the amp).

Though, using the Accu setup, a lot of us have noticed it sets the sub too high, need to bring it down 3-4dB.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #194 of 1067 Old 06-27-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you really need to split the LFE signal using the Y-adapter. Pretty sure you can just use a single RCA cable from the AVR to the left channel of the sub. (I could be wrong on this, not sure how they implemented the amp).

Though, using the Accu setup, a lot of us have noticed it sets the sub too high, need to bring it down 3-4dB.
thanks for the info, the sub came with the Y cable & also mentioned in the manual that it can be connected either ways so used the cable that came with it, its a relief to hear the AccuEQ is the culprit here as i was tensed about sub placement issues.
I moved around the sub & did the AccuEQ setup again & this time gave the subwoofer level +5db, so will just reduce it to 1-2db & give it a try first. So +5db subwoofer level from AccuEQ seems to be alright? was expecting something in minus db

CHeers.
post #195 of 1067 Old 06-27-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspider View Post
thanks for the info, the sub came with the Y cable & also mentioned in the manual that it can be connected either ways so used the cable that came with it, its a relief to hear the AccuEQ is the culprit here as i was tensed about sub placement issues.
I moved around the sub & did the AccuEQ setup again & this time gave the subwoofer level +5db, so will just reduce it to 1-2db & give it a try first. So +5db subwoofer level from AccuEQ seems to be alright? was expecting something in minus db

CHeers.
It really depends on your room acoustics, room size, and placement. I've always placed my sub in a corner, but at least 16" off from either wall.

Just listen to some stuff, if it sounds too boomy, lower the dB. IIRC, mine is set to 0dB right now.

You can always get a cheap SPL meter and check it out manually.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #196 of 1067 Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
So I have had this Onkyo TX-NR656 for just over 2 months now. I bought it brand new from Crutchfield.com and was happy with it until yesterday when I came home to watch a movie on my HT system and the projector couldn't get a HDMI signal from the Receiver. I confirmed the cable to the projector is good by plugging directly into several other source devices so basically the whole HDMI system board is dead. I still get sound, just no video throughput. Not sure what to do now. The receiver is still under warranty but I have a feeling Onkyo will complain and try to blame me for this happening.

Any suggestions? Should I source a replacement board and change it out myself? I looked around Onkyo's website and only saw replacement parts for remotes and couple of other simple things. No circuit boards to be found anywhere.

Help...
post #197 of 1067 Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frookster View Post
So I have had this Onkyo TX-NR656 for just over 2 months now. I bought it brand new from Crutchfield.com and was happy with it until yesterday when I came home to watch a movie on my HT system and the projector couldn't get a HDMI signal from the Receiver. I confirmed the cable to the projector is good by plugging directly into several other source devices so basically the whole HDMI system board is dead. I still get sound, just no video throughput. Not sure what to do now. The receiver is still under warranty but I have a feeling Onkyo will complain and try to blame me for this happening.

Any suggestions? Should I source a replacement board and change it out myself? I looked around Onkyo's website and only saw replacement parts for remotes and couple of other simple things. No circuit boards to be found anywhere.

Help...
I'm not sure why you're suspicious of Onkyo, but I would definitely start by having it serviced under the warranty. If you try to repair it yourself and things go badly, it will void the warranty.

Not sure how much trouble shooting you've done, but you could try connecting the 656 to a TV with a shorter HDMI cable. There can be problems with long HDMI cables that aren't quite up to snuff. You could also try connecting to the secondary HDMI output connector.

A trouble shooting suggestion from the 656 Manual is to just unplug the AC power cord for a moment. Simple enough and worth a try.

Another possibility is that the Main HDMI output was turned off. This again is from the manual.

Note: As you don't have any video, you will have to do this by viewing the 656 front panel display. I tried it, not difficult.

Press Q on the remote controller to display the
Quick Menu, and set "Other" – "HDMI Out" to
either "MAIN" or "SUB" or "MAIN+SUB".

Last edited by PokeyBoy; 06-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #198 of 1067 Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I am thinking about buying this receiver.

It has two HDMI outputs, how does this work, will it auto detect an ON device, or just push the same content to both outs?

I am possibly going to push one output to a 4K projector, and a 2nd output to a 3D projector, I am hoping everything can just auto detect etc. Any thoughts about this?
post #199 of 1067 Old 07-02-2017, 04:21 AM

Can we turn on ARC in the 656 without switching hdmi cec "On"? i got a LG 55B6 tv & seems without hdmi cec enabled on the onkyo it won't work ARC, is it that way?

Thanks.
post #200 of 1067 Old 07-11-2017, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone using the lip sync option? I have it on but I keep having syncing issues with my x800. Doesn't do it with anything else. ☹️

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #201 of 1067 Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can we turn on ARC in the 656 without switching hdmi cec "On"? i got a LG 55B6 tv & seems without hdmi cec enabled on the onkyo it won't work ARC, is it that way?

Thanks.
I don't believe so, which is unfortunate.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #202 of 1067 Old 07-11-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
I agree with taz291819; no you can not.

From Page 19 of the Basic Manual:

HDMI CEC
Make this setting to enable the control feature for devices
complying with the CEC standard. This is set to on
automatically if you have selected "Yes" in "5. Audio Return
Channel" in the Initial Setup.
post #203 of 1067 Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 PM

Liked: 3
I have noticed that since the last update the surround speakers are not as loud as they used to be. I re-calibrated with AutoEQ and I get the same db values as before, maybe it's my ears . When I watched a blu-ray, the surrounds do engage better but not as intensely as before.
post #204 of 1067 Old 07-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I don't believe so, which is unfortunate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyBoy View Post
I agree with taz291819; no you can not.

From Page 19 of the Basic Manual:

HDMI CEC
Make this setting to enable the control feature for devices
complying with the CEC standard. This is set to on
automatically if you have selected "Yes" in "5. Audio Return
Channel" in the Initial Setup.
yeah i guessed as much, well its tolerable.
post #205 of 1067 Old 07-20-2017, 12:13 PM

Ok noticing something strange with my 656 & my subwoofer, when watching Fargo(netflix) or playing games on xbox one s, my subwoofer goes to standby & only comes in play with heavy explosions,
i have tried both direct mode & dolby surround which plays as pcm surround with xbox one s, the issue is frustrating as it makes my sub goes in standby & only wakes sub for big bass moments, i have front tower speakers & bookshelves for surround,
got the fronts on 80hz crossover & surrounds on 100hz, i got the subwoofer volume on 0db in the avr, is the AccuEQ the problem here? when i ran auto setup when i got the avr it made my subwoofer level +7db. I since then make it 0db.
Can we switch off accueq from the quick menu & still preserve the distance & db levels of the speakers? dunno why its making my sub go to standby so often in few movies & games.

Thanks.
post #206 of 1067 Old 07-23-2017, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need repair advice on Onkyo Lightning strike 656

Hey,
sorry if covered elsewhere

So, second time in a year, BZZZZOOOT

actually got little blast thru the laptop touch pad, thought that was ok, dead the next day, while typing here......
killed the ONT and router, also home security dvr
spared TV and nvidia shield
anyway, the Q

Tampa boys chime in
I have an onkyo TX-NR656, very happy with it

tapping power does nothing, Press and hold yields a relay click, no lights

should I box and send to Onkyo, or have fixed local
2 places are close
proaudio electronics
the speaker exchange

both are rated 4.8/4.9 with 20 reviews on google

rough guess on reasonable repair fees welcome

THANKS
post #207 of 1067 Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mks100 View Post
I purchased the TX-NR656 last Sunday. Some initial impressions vs. the TX-NR646...

The Good:
- 4K Up-conversion works very well.
- No Handshake issues via Roku 4, Sony Blu-ray Player or xfinity One Cable Box.
- Improved OSD.
- FLAC and DSD Album Covers appear On Screen and on the Onkyo App. This is a first for any Receiver I have used previously (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.).
- Full resolution Album Covers on the Onkyo App (Nexus 7 2013).

The Bad:
- AccuEq is still a Dumpster Fire. Auto Setup still sets my Studio 60's (Full Range Towers) @ 200Hz.
- Less power than the TX-NR646. I am listening to Music (Stereo) and Movies (dts HD) @ 55 - 65 vs. 40 - 52 with the prior year Model. My perception is the TX-NR656 is much less dynamic than its predecessor.
- I have had to Reset the Receiver twice in the past Week. Both times it stopped recognizing my FAT 32 USB Drive. Both times the Reset solved my issue and it has had no issues since my last Reset.
- Onkyo Customer Service has yet to respond to my initial Email with regard to AccuEQ with the TX-NR646. When I called Customer Service, the Technician told me to "not worry about it" and set the Crossovers Manually. I am not the only one Reporting this issue. The Subwoofer Loudness issue manifested later and I did not bother to call. I simply returned the TX-NR646.

...overall, the TX-NR646 was the best $600 Receiver in my opinion with respect to Sound Quality. If not for the AccuEQ and Subwoofer Loudness issues, I would have kept it and would have happily ignored the poor OSD and lack of 4K Up-conversion. I was hoping the TX-NR656 would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, it's a big step backwards in sound quality with respect to its predecessor and peer group and still has the AccuEQ issues. I think I'm done playing the Onkyo Lottery so I will not be exchanging it for yet another unit. I most likely will look towards the new Denon's and Yamaha's. I would have been ecstatic if it simply would have retained the TX-NR646's sound quality and eliminated the AccuEQ/Sub issues. I still own it (for now) so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks for reading.
Hi Guys
I just bought a new NR656 last week.

Straight away I upgraded to the latest firmware and did a hard factory reset.

I cannot connect to my TV via HDMI OUT 'MAIN'

HDMI OUT 'SUB' is working

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this issue?
post #208 of 1067 Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd01 View Post
Hi Guys
I just bought a new NR656 last week.

Straight away I upgraded to the latest firmware and did a hard factory reset.

I cannot connect to my TV via HDMI OUT 'MAIN'

HDMI OUT 'SUB' is working

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this issue?
Give this a try.

Press Q on the remote controller to display the
Quick Menu, and set "Other" – "HDMI Out" to
either "MAIN" or "SUB" or "MAIN+SUB".

Note: This info came from page 20 of the basic manual. I did edit it bit for clarification.
post #209 of 1067 Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 AM

Liked: 1
Thanks but I have tried that.

If I have the unit set to:

HDMI OUT 'MAIN + SUB'

I can view the OSD on my TV via a HDMI cable connected to 'SUB'

As soon as I connect a second HDMI cable from my TV to HDMI OUT 'MAIN' I loose signal.
Nothing displayed through 'SUB' or 'MAIN'

disconnect cable from 'MAIN' and I can get a display from 'SUB' again.
post #210 of 1067 Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd01 View Post
Thanks but I have tried that.

If I have the unit set to:

HDMI OUT 'MAIN + SUB'

I can view the OSD on my TV via a HDMI cable connected to 'SUB'

As soon as I connect a second HDMI cable from my TV to HDMI OUT 'MAIN' I loose signal.
Nothing displayed through 'SUB' or 'MAIN'

disconnect cable from 'MAIN' and I can get a display from 'SUB' again.
did you update through wifi or lan network? i have read alot of cases on the onkyo forums where people have damaged their onkyo avrs when updating through wifi, best to update is by usb then Lan network,
any errors during your update? try factory reset again if that doesn't work afraid to say could be hardware issue.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.2 to 9.2 , apple tv , atmos , cox dvr , external amp , external amplifier , Onkyo , onkyo tx-656 , TX-NR656

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page