The Official Denon 2016 AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 157Likes

post #31 of 282 Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSynergy View Post
Oddity I noticed. Sometimes my Samsung UHD player will come up as 2400?2160p on the TV input, and a black screen, it didn't do this direct connected so I assume it has to be the receiver. I did just set my x940d HDMI port to enhanced because it was onpy comimg through in 1080p. So maybe a power cycle is in order. Ran out of troubleshooting time (mothers day activities).

Is there any firmware updates I need out of box? Need to setup networking then.
Fixed, reboot. Next issue, how do I pass HDR though? Things aren't popping like they were when direct connected, pretty sure HDR isn't being passed. Firmware is on latest. I see HDMI Pass-through enabled and Pass Source set to the UHD player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 282 Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hi All,

Set up my 920. My noob impressions. Please take it with a grain of salt as I come from a Sony AVR world and still learning the Denon device:

- 920 device appears to have less handshaking issues than my Sony STR DN 1060 (good news).
- I went through audyssey and that seemed comprehensive, unfortunately, I did not like the result of the sound. Sounded not very crisp, like the treble was turned off. I realize this is probably due to my incompetence. As a result I turned off audyssey and tried experimenting with my own sound. Still searching for that sweet spot.
- Overall, the sound did not seem as powerful. While watching a TV broadcast, I was actually able to turn the sound full blast, conversely, I could never do that with my sony AVR without it getting too loud.
- The unit does not come with a full instruction guide. However, one can easily download the guide...but a little annoying.

Overall a mixed bag for me thus far. I am excited for Atmos. Wish I could kidnap one of you to help me out!

Thanks for listening.

Freddie
post #33 of 282 Old 05-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Harb View Post
Hi All,

Set up my 920. My noob impressions. Please take it with a grain of salt as I come from a Sony AVR world and still learning the Denon device:

- 920 device appears to have less handshaking issues than my Sony STR DN 1060 (good news).
- I went through audyssey and that seemed comprehensive, unfortunately, I did not like the result of the sound. Sounded not very crisp, like the treble was turned off. I realize this is probably due to my incompetence. As a result I turned off audyssey and tried experimenting with my own sound. Still searching for that sweet spot.
- Overall, the sound did not seem as powerful. While watching a TV broadcast, I was actually able to turn the sound full blast, conversely, I could never do that with my sony AVR without it getting too loud.
- The unit does not come with a full instruction guide. However, one can easily download the guide...but a little annoying.

Overall a mixed bag for me thus far. I am excited for Atmos. Wish I could kidnap one of you to help me out!

Thanks for listening.

Freddie
I have the 720 and that's coming from a Denon AVR 1909 and not having a full manual like I got with the 1909 is really a bad one, and like you the volume I get out of this unit isn't that wonderful....Audyessey is fine but like I have about 75% of the power of my 1909... Its fine but not that impressed...the only reason for the 720 is for 4K....
Freddie Harb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 282 Old 05-10-2016, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for listening.

Freddie

I thought the same thing about the treble when I first set my Denon receiver up. Try turning Audyssey back on and change the setting from Reference to Flat. This made it sound much better to me.
fvbounty and Freddie Harb like this.

Last edited by vipergts2207; 05-10-2016 at 05:06 AM.
post #35 of 282 Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts2207 View Post
I thought the same thing about the treble when I first set my Denon receiver up. Try turning Audyssey back on and change the setting from Reference to Flat. This made it sound much better to me.
Will do - Thank you Viper!
post #36 of 282 Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts2207 View Post
Dido for me too...thanks!
post #37 of 282 Old 05-13-2016, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for listening.

Freddie
I am looking at purchasing the s920w, and I guess my primary concern is the volume, based on some of the reviews here. (especially the sound at full blast and not be too loud). Other than that it appears the handshake issues, build issues seem to be good. Anyone have any late information on your experiences?
post #38 of 282 Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

I have the 720 and except that the fact my average listening on the volume is 75 out of 99, everything is working Great, I have a Samsung BR and a Fire TV (just got it) and my LG 65EF9500 on it and it works has advertised....like the Denon app on my Samsung 12" tablet and it replaces the remote for me...very happy so far!
post #39 of 282 Old 05-13-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I have the 720 and except that the fact my average listening on the volume is 75 out of 99, everything is working Great, I have a Samsung BR and a Fire TV (just got it) and my LG 65EF9500 on it and it works has advertised....like the Denon app on my Samsung 12" tablet and it replaces the remote for me...very happy so far!
So it looks like you still have some room left on volume setting. I currently have a Yamaha V663, and have a ton of additional volume, but have never had any experiences with Denon. I really want to like the Denon, it certainly checks all my requirements including cost! I am just a bit gunshy on the volume, but maybe I am just being a little to anal.

Edit: just recieved this response in another thread with regard to my volume question: Different models of HDMI player devices (including different models of cable TV decoders and DVRs) often output different levels of audio signals. Denon receivers let you set a different amount of gain on each of their HDMI inputs which normally are enough to compensate for those differences.[/QUOTE]

So, what that is telling me, you can adjust each of your HDMI inputs to adjust the level of audio inputs from your different sources. This may be the information I need to move on.

Just curious, did you adjust any of the HDMI inputs on your 720 , where you are now averaging 75 on a scale of 99?

Last edited by twssas; 05-13-2016 at 08:11 AM.
post #40 of 282 Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have noticed the volume on the Fire TV is louder than my Comcast box at the same settings....I have plenty of volume when I crank it....
post #41 of 282 Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I have noticed the volume on the Fire TV is louder than my Comcast box at the same settings....I have plenty of volume when I crank it....
I think I will be fine with the Denon. Thanks for your info.
post #42 of 282 Old 05-18-2016, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Is there anything I have to do configuration wise to enable enhanced HDMI on the receiver, as I have to do that on the TV to pass 4k HDR. Also, does this model do any up scaling, and if so, how do we disable that to let the TV handle it. Basically I want this unit to pass through everything and let the TV handle everything.
chaos215bar2 likes this.
post #43 of 282 Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendo View Post
The network issue was a fluke due to a finicky cable. All is good.

I have 4 hdmi input setup:
- Tivo mini: hdmi scaler to 1080p, because the Vizio M70 gives a warming about 1080i on HDMI 5
- Roku 3: hdmi auto (1080p)
- PC with GTX 980: hdmi pass through (to avoid additional input lag) [email protected] 4:2:0. I was also able to create and use a [email protected] custom resolution.
- Xbox One: hdmi pass through (1080p)

I have currently the receiver send the sound over hdmi to the TV, as the soundbar is connected to the TV. I am going to play a little with that, see if I can get the receiver to handle that, because the Vizio has been flaky passing "Bitstream" over. I am not sure how to have the receiver handle the sound from the TV apps (youtube, netflix). I have to figure that out.
Rendo,
I am thinking about getting a new vizio 2016 P-series 75" TV and had a few questions about your setup. I plan on primarily using it for gaming at 1080p 120Hz and 4K 60hz. Do you know if this receiver will pass this through without problems? The HDMI 5 on the new tv says it supports 1080p 120hz. Since you are doing something similar with the gtx 980 (although i'm getting the new 1080 are they any problems I should expect? Any simple workarounds for the problems?

Anyone else using this AVR for gaming have any advice? I'll probably get the 900 series avr for the 8 inputs.

Thanks
post #44 of 282 Old 05-21-2016, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post
Rendo,
I am thinking about getting a new vizio 2016 P-series 75" TV and had a few questions about your setup. I plan on primarily using it for gaming at 1080p 120Hz and 4K 60hz. Do you know if this receiver will pass this through without problems? The HDMI 5 on the new tv says it supports 1080p 120hz. Since you are doing something similar with the gtx 980 (although i'm getting the new 1080 are they any problems I should expect? Any simple workarounds for the problems?

Anyone else using this AVR for gaming have any advice? I'll probably get the 900 series avr for the 8 inputs.

Thanks
I had no problem with 1080p 120hz, the receiver passes it through to the TV. The only issue I had with the GTX 980 is that I had no signal when going into the BIOS. I found a workaround by using the DVI port of the graphics card (using the DVI => HDMI cable). I now use the DVI output port for everything ([email protected], [email protected], etc.), sound works fine too. I think this is a bug in the GTX 980, so you may not have that problem with the GTX 1080.
post #45 of 282 Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I am currently running a GTX 470 using a dvi to hdmi cable as well. I don't remember why I did this now since it was 5 yrs ago when I set this up, but probably for the same reason.

Do you know if the DVI output allows 4k60 @ 4:4:4? I have heard a lot of people have problems finding good HDMI cables to support 4k60 so DVI may be a better option if you don't lose anything. I have heard before that an HDMI was the same as DVI but it included audio, but the video card outputs audio over the DVI also, perhaps it does it over some unused pins from the dvi standard and then connects them to the right pins on the hdmi.
post #46 of 282 Old 05-22-2016, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post
I am currently running a GTX 470 using a dvi to hdmi cable as well. I don't remember why I did this now since it was 5 yrs ago when I set this up, but probably for the same reason.

Do you know if the DVI output allows 4k60 @ 4:4:4? I have heard a lot of people have problems finding good HDMI cables to support 4k60 so DVI may be a better option if you don't lose anything. I have heard before that an HDMI was the same as DVI but it included audio, but the video card outputs audio over the DVI also, perhaps it does it over some unused pins from the dvi standard and then connects them to the right pins on the hdmi.
I am not sure if the GTX 470 supports 4k60 @ 4:4:4, but I know that the DVI port of the GTX 980 does support it. My computer in the office has a GTX 980ti connected to a Samsung JU7100 (that I use as monitor) via the DVI port. I verified that this setup can pass a 4k60 @ 4:4:4 signal (with sound) to the JU7100. Of course, there is no AVR in between in this setup.

EDIT: By "Of course", I mean that I have not directly tested 4:4:4 with the Denon AVR, but I would be surprised if there are issues, as the S920W is spec'ed to support 4:4:4.

Last edited by rendo; 05-22-2016 at 09:24 AM.
post #47 of 282 Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Just set mine up and I'm loving the new (to me at least) interface. The old Denon's were not fun to navigate through.

One weird thing I noticed is there is no "Input" button on the remote and no apparent way to control your TV. I know you can select the TV Audio button to listen to TV audio but is there not a way to switch inputs from HDMI to TV or power off the TV with the receiver anymore?
post #48 of 282 Old 07-12-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just pickedup the S920W today haveing it install by the geek squad on friday.
post #49 of 282 Old 07-24-2016, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First time Denon owner (I had Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz... coming from Marantz 1605 as a matter of fact). Updating for the Atmos. Got the S720W today alors with some Elite Atmos bookshelf speakers (SP-EBS73-LR).

My first huge disappointment: don't plan on using anything but mint banana plugs. 15 minutes after I started Mission:Impossible Rogue Nation, my AVR shut off completely with the blinking red light every .5 seconds. I disconnected a few speakers and it seems to be ok but that's wild... I've had a buttload of AVRs and never has this happened.

It also doesn't seem to be very easy to make sure you're getting the Atmos signal (player is a PS4). Every time I checked INFO on the signal, the FDR FDL icons were not lighting up.

Update tomorrow or Monday after I get some more banana plugs.
post #50 of 282 Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys quick question: I am going to setup a new room where I use a TV and a Projector so I need 2 outputs. All using the same speakers. Which of these receives will work for me? The projector won't be 4k but the TV's will although my sources won't be... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Neil
post #51 of 282 Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi folks,
I have an interesting problem that I hope someone can help me with. My setup is as follows:

Denon AVR-S920W
Samsung UN60JU7100
Tivo Bolt
Bose Acoustimass 10 (old system from 1999)

Got everything hooked up and all seems to work great except the sound will randomly increase and switch from say Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround to Stereo. The Denon display panel will not change but clearly the sound changes. In other words, the main center channel sounds switches to front left and right sound.
This happens when watching live TV, steaming Netflix (through Tivo app) or even watching a recorded Tivo show. If i adjust the volume, it sometimes will start making a loud buzzing sound from all speakers. The way to fix it is to change the sound setting to Pure Auto from the remote. The weird thing is that the display says its already in that mode (Auto) but i have to cycle through and reset it.
I have tried changing HDMI ports for Tivo to AVR. It's very frustrating because it is so random. I can go for hours without a problem then it will happen multiple time within a few minutes. I am now wondering if my old Bose speaker setup is the culprit. I don't have any other surround speakers to switch out and test this theory though.
Hoping someone might point me in the right directions for a solution.
Thank you for your time.
Keith
post #52 of 282 Old 08-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had an AVR-S920W for a little while now and I've recently noticed that the AVR is turned on by itself; I'll come home from work and see the receiver is on, when I know I turned it off the night before.

I am pretty sure this issue started when I replaced my Xbox One with an Xbox One S two days ago.
I don't have HDMI Control/CEC enable on my TV (Vizio M55-C2), or on my receiver, though I have ARC setup on both. I also checked the Xbox One S, and it is not set to send any commands to any of my components during power on or power off activities.

I spoke to Denon and though they tried to help, weren't able to provide me with an answer as to how to prevent this from happening. While speaking to them I also noticed that the received turned on when I turned the TV on; I don't usually experience this as I use my Harmony for all my activities, but used the original remotes when speaking to Denon to simply use the receiver on screen setup menu more easily.

Would appreciate if anyone could give me some idea as to what may be triggering the received to turn on by itself, and also when my TV turns on if HDMI CEC is off.

Thanks.
post #53 of 282 Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick review: I like the AVR-S920W, which sounds pretty good (for it's low price). But I HATE the selection of "Internet Radio" classical presets, and there's an awful programming mistake in working with music Media Servers.

THE BAD:

The wireless antennas are also built-in on the unit, and cannot be easily replaced with higher-gain antennas (for use in large houses). I had no problem with the Internet setup, but the S/N ratio on this connection is relatively low. I note that it's doing both 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz, but seems to have better reception on the 2.4 -- in spite of using only a "narrow" 20 Mhz signal. They SHOULD implement the capability of running 40 Mhz bandwidth, and prove for antenna replacement by using RP-SMA connectors.

THE UGLY:

"Internet Radio" doesn't allow you to enter or save any URL for a station you want to listen to. You must choose from a Denon-defined list. For the case of "Classical, High Quality", the list includes less than 10 stations. And, at least one of those is "dead", and another one has a man bellowing something about "enjoy fine music" every two minutes. (Bellowing much louder than the music content.) For the critical Classical listener, the finest stations in the World are run out of Athens, by "Psychomed.org". It is impossible to add any of these stations. Why on earth did they implement "Internet" with no URLs?

THE WORST THING:

My entire CD collection is stored on a computer. But, when I turn to the Denon "Media Server" Track selector, it DOES NOT! Allow for the playing of an Entire Album or Folder. Instead, you get options to "Repeat" the same track forever, OR to select tracks from the Media Server at random. Suppose that I want to listen to a Mahler Symphony, 4 or 5 movements, in sequence. They're all stored within in a Folder, e.g. "Mahler-5-Berlin-Abbado". The Denon forces me to repeat the first movement forever, or jump to "Random" order. Media Server music is therefore USELESS for the Denon: It can only play movies, where the entire show consists of a single file. Every 5 or ten minutes, you have to walk back to the Denon and awkwardly choose the next track.

I wonder if Yamaha Receivers have these issues. D-M's low end Receivers seem to sound a bit better than Yamaha's, but these Internet Functions are implemented very badly, WRT music.
chaos215bar2 likes this.
post #54 of 282 Old 08-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I am trying to help a buddy out with his setup that includes a 65" Sony X850D (which supports 5.1 audio over ARC) and the AVR-S920W. We spent all weekend trying to troubleshoot this problem. The TV is hooked up and ARC is turned on. However if we play a surround sound test audio track. The AVR says it is receiving a 5.1 signal but is only playing stereo when playing the surround sound test track. This was tested with both Kodi that is installed on the TV and when played from a Mac Mini running Kodi that is also hooked up to the TV through HDMI.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to where the issue could be at. The ARC is hooked up from the correct HDMI on the TV and is connected to the TV input on the AVR. Thoughts?
post #55 of 282 Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Talking Too excited

Just purchased 720w and it sits in-box as I await LG 65E6 arrival Tuesday and the Samsung UHD player. 1st upgrade of the living room system since a 10 yr Pioneer Elite TV and AVR...Like a kid before xmas day having to stare at the wrapped presents...
digitalfusions likes this.

Adam
Our Home Theater
The Bunker
post #56 of 282 Old 08-21-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnorwood View Post
Okay, so I am trying to help a buddy out with his setup that includes a 65" Sony X850D (which supports 5.1 audio over ARC) and the AVR-S920W. We spent all weekend trying to troubleshoot this problem. The TV is hooked up and ARC is turned on. However if we play a surround sound test audio track. The AVR says it is receiving a 5.1 signal but is only playing stereo when playing the surround sound test track. This was tested with both Kodi that is installed on the TV and when played from a Mac Mini running Kodi that is also hooked up to the TV through HDMI.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to where the issue could be at. The ARC is hooked up from the correct HDMI on the TV and is connected to the TV input on the AVR. Thoughts?
Same problem I have with Samsung KS8000 and S720W. Replacing my HDMI 1.3 cable from TV to ARC with latest HDMI 2 this week but concerned that's not the fix....
post #57 of 282 Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Same problem I have with Samsung KS8000 and S720W. Replacing my HDMI 1.3 cable from TV to ARC with latest HDMI 2 this week but concerned that's not the fix....
I found that YouTube videos stating 5.1 only playback in stereo. I went to this site (http://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/) and downloaded some 5.1 to my phone. I streamed them from my phone to my Samsung UHD TV and they play 5.1 perfectly.

So your issue may be the source?
post #58 of 282 Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I found that YouTube videos stating 5.1 only playback in stereo. I went to this site (http://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/) and downloaded some 5.1 to my phone. I streamed them from my phone to my Samsung UHD TV and they play 5.1 perfectly.

Also put Denon sound mode to Pure...auto
post #59 of 282 Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6523 Post(s)
Liked: 6238
The Official Denon 2016 AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnorwood View Post

Did you make sure to update the setting in Kodi to allow passthru via HDMI? Did you also make sure to update the settings after enabling HDMI passthru? Have you tested that track outside of the setup or with something other than Kodi?

Quote:

YouTube doesn't do 5.1 only stereo (people still put up surround sound test files). I would say it's the source, but the app being used (Kodi) has "a few" settings that need to be set up correctly in order to ensure that the correct audio gets sent out.

Sent from nowhere
Terminader likes this.
post #60 of 282 Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabcad View Post
Hi folks,
I have an interesting problem that I hope someone can help me with. My setup is as follows:

Denon AVR-S920W
Samsung UN60JU7100
Tivo Bolt
Bose Acoustimass 10 (old system from 1999)

Got everything hooked up and all seems to work great except the sound will randomly increase and switch from say Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround to Stereo. The Denon display panel will not change but clearly the sound changes. In other words, the main center channel sounds switches to front left and right sound.
This happens when watching live TV, steaming Netflix (through Tivo app) or even watching a recorded Tivo show. If i adjust the volume, it sometimes will start making a loud buzzing sound from all speakers. The way to fix it is to change the sound setting to Pure Auto from the remote. The weird thing is that the display says its already in that mode (Auto) but i have to cycle through and reset it.
I have tried changing HDMI ports for Tivo to AVR. It's very frustrating because it is so random. I can go for hours without a problem then it will happen multiple time within a few minutes. I am now wondering if my old Bose speaker setup is the culprit. I don't have any other surround speakers to switch out and test this theory though.
Hoping someone might point me in the right directions for a solution.
Thank you for your time.
Keith
SOLVED:
Bad unit. Had to return through Amazon. New one works perfectly now.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page