The Official Denon 2016 AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 157Likes

post #91 of 282 Old 11-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ah, yeah see, I basically want the TV to do as little as absolutely possible.

On the receiver settings, I just checked and I do in fact have those settings set exactly as described and it will not display the receiver's on screen menu as an overlay over a 4k picture. It works fine when the signal is 1080p, displays volume changes correctly and all, but the volume change overlay stops working and it turns off the picture and fullscreens the receiver menu over black when the signal is 4k. I was wrong about it cutting off audio, at least with a Shield TV, but I know it completely stops playback on 4k blu rays played from the Samsung UBD-K8500. It just gets paused and resumes where it was when the receiver menu was pressed.

Honestly I'd prefer a setup like the Vizio P series without all the built in app mess and the TV is as "dumb" as possible. Unfortunately I'm after a 55 inch panel because that's what fits in my space and works with the room and Vizio used an IPS panel for that size in that model line. So that kind of kills that one as an option for me. So the next best seemed to be the KS8000, but I've not been all that happy with the black levels on it so far. Seriously considering boxing it back up and trundling back to Best Buy for an OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 282 Old 11-02-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinJ View Post
Ah, yeah see, I basically want the TV to do as little as absolutely possible.

On the receiver settings, I just checked and I do in fact have those settings set exactly as described and it will not display the receiver's on screen menu as an overlay over a 4k picture. It works fine when the signal is 1080p, displays volume changes correctly and all, but the volume change overlay stops working and it turns off the picture and fullscreens the receiver menu over black when the signal is 4k. I was wrong about it cutting off audio, at least with a Shield TV, but I know it completely stops playback on 4k blu rays played from the Samsung UBD-K8500. It just gets paused and resumes where it was when the receiver menu was pressed.

Honestly I'd prefer a setup like the Vizio P series without all the built in app mess and the TV is as "dumb" as possible. Unfortunately I'm after a 55 inch panel because that's what fits in my space and works with the room and Vizio used an IPS panel for that size in that model line. So that kind of kills that one as an option for me. So the next best seemed to be the KS8000, but I've not been all that happy with the black levels on it so far. Seriously considering boxing it back up and trundling back to Best Buy for an OLED.
Check out this 10000+ thread for thoughts on black level (they are very good if picture setting are right and source cooperates): https://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2387466
post #93 of 282 Old 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is anyone able to get HDR through the 720w from an XBOX One S? I have a 2016 Vizio P65, and I can get 4K through the Denon, but not 4K and HDR. So using direct connection and ARC, and I can't get lossless audio from UHD discs.d

Thanks for any info.

Brian.

Fredericton, NB Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 282 Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
the 720w is on sale for 350 think of buying it, it has everything I need 6 2.0a( hear 2.0a dont have bandwidth to do 4k [email protected]:4:4 60fps)/2.2 hdmi ports HDR/4:4:4 Passthrew , Atmos/DTS-X no HDMI to HDMI conversion but HDTV/UHDTV will do that either way.

Only thing bad I really heard that worries me is the Headphone jack is tripping the switch to go to headphones and not speakers at random when turning unit on with headphones connected to it? and or the software is causing it.
post #95 of 282 Old 11-24-2016, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Worth upgrading from Yamaha RX-V675?

Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V675 currently. The Denon AVR-S720W is on sale and i was wondering if it's worth the upgrade? I don't have any 4K content (1080p projector) and have a 7.1 setup. From what I can tell there aren't many extra/better features other than 4K and Atmos on the Denon - both of which I couldn't use. Is that right? Would the sound quality be better? Thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited by jaydee77ca; 11-24-2016 at 05:49 AM.
post #96 of 282 Old 11-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Using an Onkyo TX-NR616, it was simple to map Subwoofer Volume Control (or any channel) LevelUp or LevelDown to my Harmony 900.

Considering buying an AVR-S720W this morning.
Is it possible to map the same sort of command(s)?

I want to adjust subwoofer volume (or any channel) during playback.
post #97 of 282 Old 12-05-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a problem hooking up "old" AV equipment such as a vcr. I get sound but no video when using the video inputs. I have gone into the input select screen and set the appropriate input there. No video.
I called Denon and they could not help.
post #98 of 282 Old 12-05-2016, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I have recently bought Denon S720W . I am using my Onkyo Speakers and found out that the Subwoofer has speaker wires and I cannot connect to the receiver which has RCA Pre out.

Can some one tell me what options do I have in using my existing sub woofer. I am not planning to upgrade the speakers right now.

Thank You
Vijay
post #99 of 282 Old 12-05-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by docvoigt View Post
Does anyone have a problem hooking up "old" AV equipment such as a vcr. I get sound but no video when using the video inputs. I have gone into the input select screen and set the appropriate input there. No video.
they dropped analog to HDMI conversion on the s920 so that's probably why you can't connect your VCR and get video thru the HDMI output. You'd need to connect a composite video cable from the yellow video out jack of the Denon to the TV. Denon support should know this.

From the Official 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ

Quote:
What was dropped from the 2015 models?
- Analog --> HDMI conversion (S920W and X2300W).

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 12-05-2016 at 05:19 PM.
post #100 of 282 Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
As a reminder ... there is a lot of very helpful information in posts 1-8 of the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread which covers all of the 2016 models to include the S720W and S920W.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...hread-faq.html
post #101 of 282 Old 12-06-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
they dropped analog to HDMI conversion on the s920 so that's probably why you can't connect your VCR and get video thru the HDMI output. You'd need to connect a composite video cable from the yellow video out jack of the Denon to the TV. Denon support should know this.

From the Official 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ
Thank for the info, I'll try it
post #102 of 282 Old 12-12-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anybody else experienced an issue with a "dead" HDMI input?

On my AVR-S720w, I had my HTPC connected to HDMI3 and linked that input to receive sound via digital optical 1. Everything worked pretty well. A couple of times, I had the video go to black, then come back, as if it was changing modes/resolution. That seemed to stabilize and go away.

Yesterday, I switched over to that input, and found a "no signal message". I tried unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable (which is basically brand new and a good brand). I got the Windows sound of hardware going away/coming back. But still no feed.

I went ahead and switched it to another HDMI input in the AVR, and poof, there's my video. I haven't tried switching it back to the original port again, but it's a bit worrisome. Are there any settings that could cause this?
post #103 of 282 Old 12-12-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohno View Post

On my AVR-S720w, I had my HTPC connected to HDMI3 and linked that input to receive sound via digital optical 1. Everything worked pretty well. A couple of times, I had the video go to black, then come back, as if it was changing modes/resolution. That seemed to stabilize and go away.

Yesterday, I switched over to that input, and found a "no signal message". I tried unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable (which is basically brand new and a good brand). I got the Windows sound of hardware going away/coming back. But still no feed.

I went ahead and switched it to another HDMI input in the AVR, and poof, there's my video. I haven't tried switching it back to the original port again, but it's a bit worrisome. Are there any settings that could cause this?
I haven't had that issue, how old is your AVR?
A little off topic but I was reading on Amazon of people saying sometimes there is no sound, and they need to blow compressed air into the headphone jack to get sound back. It sounds to me like the AVR thinks headphones are connected, even though none are. Has anyone experience this issue?

I've had my s720W for two weeks now, and I'm worried about these problems, I'm hoping these are isolated cases.
post #104 of 282 Old 12-12-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp-se View Post
A little off topic but I was reading on Amazon of people saying sometimes there is no sound, and they need to blow compressed air into the headphone jack to get sound back. It sounds to me like the AVR thinks headphones are connected, even though none are. Has anyone experience this issue?

I've had my s720W for two weeks now, and I'm worried about these problems, I'm hoping these are isolated cases.
This issue presents on 2009 models only for the most part.
post #105 of 282 Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I had the no sound issue with s920. I took it to best buy.. it happened 5 months after I got it. they were going to fix it but then the parts were on back order. so they let me exchange it for a new replacement of the s920. I got that one last week. its been working great.

Jacob
post #106 of 282 Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Brand new. Just got it a couple weeks ago.
post #107 of 282 Old 12-16-2016, 07:24 AM

Stereo only setup

My Denon AVR-S720W is arriving tomorrow, and initially I’m going to be pairing it with two of the cheap Pioneer Andrew Jones floorstanding speakers only. My question is since I’m only going to be running a stereo setup, what do I do re settings? Or should I just use the second room plugs, since that’s stereo only. Thanks! And do I skip the Audessey setup?
post #108 of 282 Old 12-16-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hi guys,

New S720W waiting for me under the tree. After ordering the receiver, a use case came to my mind that I hadn't researched when choosing the receiver. Can someone here tell me if the receiver supports this? I looked through the manual but didn't find exactly this use case covered.

I would love to connect a pair of Bluetooth earbuds and use that to listen to sound (downmixed to stereo of course) while exercising on a treadmill in my media area. I know the S720W supports INPUT via Bluetooth, like playing music from my smartphone, but can it use Bluetooth devices as speakers (and if so how do I tell it to do so)? Again, I tried to research this before asking silly questions, without an obvious result.

Basically, the treadmill makes a lot of noise, and rather than cranking up the home theater sound and driving my wife nuts, I'd rather just pair to a headset and work it that way.

If that's a no-go, I suppose I could figure a way to take the output of the phono jack and broadcast it... haven't looked into that, but it's probably not hard.

The source of AV is a computer running Emby Theater or similar apps, through the AVR, with video to the TV, or sometimes from the TVs smart apps like Netflix, back to the AVR.

Thanks folks. I'm looking forward to joining the S720W club!

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #109 of 282 Old 12-22-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:

I went ahead and exchanged it for a new one and that was the right choice. I was having a lot of flakey behavior, mostly tied to using the AVR phone app and playing back Pandora. Sometimes it worked, other times it just wouldn't respond. It didn't remember source specific settings (like sound mode or CH levels). Denon's support response was pathetic. No diagnostic help, just told me to ship the unit to a repair center at my expense for diagnosis/repair. Right.

There is a good chance that unit was just defective, but I did a few things differently on the setup. I just used wifi on the first one, since it's easy. With the new one, I hardwired the network connection, since it was so close to the router anyway. I did the firmware update before any other setup, also.

Things seem to be working much better so far. Fingers crossed!
post #110 of 282 Old 12-26-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I went ahead and exchanged it for a new one and that was the right choice. I was having a lot of flakey behavior, mostly tied to using the AVR phone app and playing back Pandora. Sometimes it worked, other times it just wouldn't respond. It didn't remember source specific settings (like sound mode or CH levels). Denon's support response was pathetic. No diagnostic help, just told me to ship the unit to a repair center at my expense for diagnosis/repair. Right.

There is a good chance that unit was just defective, but I did a few things differently on the setup. I just used wifi on the first one, since it's easy. With the new one, I hardwired the network connection, since it was so close to the router anyway. I did the firmware update before any other setup, also.

Things seem to be working much better so far. Fingers crossed!

Hmmm, after almost a week of everything working well, having the HTPC connected to HDMI2 has started acting weird again. Last night it was doing semi-regular periods of signal blacking out; maybe ~3 seconds. I tried moving it to HDMI4 again, and it seemed to work just fine. This morning I hooked up the Chromecast to HDMI2 and haven't noticed a single glitch so far. What the hell is going on here!
post #111 of 282 Old 12-26-2016, 08:49 AM

On a separate note, I just got a Google Home and want the cleanest integration to the Denon AVR.

It seems to be that letting the Chromecast be the conduit is the best way to go. My understanding is that with the entire system off, I can ask Google Home to play music via the Chromecast; and by way of HDMI control, it can power on the AVR and select the correct input. Yes? I have HDMI control enabled in the AVR, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. It is leaving the AVR in standby, turning on the TV, and passing A/V straight to the TV. This seems to be using HDMI passthrough mode (which is forced on with HDMI Control), instead of powering up the AVR.

Anyone know what I might do to fix this?
post #112 of 282 Old 12-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do either the s720w or the s920w allow the addition of an external power amp? I've decided to purchase the 720w over the 920w but I worry the 75W might not be enough to pound the 7.1 speakers I'm setting up. So if in the near future I decide I need something louder, am I able to add an external amp?
post #113 of 282 Old 12-30-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,
So I just installed and love my S720, Question..
How can I keep the volume the same from one input to another.. More importantly I have TV set @ 40.5 and I switch to Xbox on Game and the volume drops.. So when I return to TV the volume is LOUD due to the volume being so low on GAME input.

Any ideas how I can keep the volume the same across all inputs?
Thanks!
post #114 of 282 Old 12-30-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thornton View Post
Hello,
So I just installed and love my S720, Question..
How can I keep the volume the same from one input to another.. More importantly I have TV set @ 40.5 and I switch to Xbox on Game and the volume drops.. So when I return to TV the volume is LOUD due to the volume being so low on GAME input.

Any ideas how I can keep the volume the same across all inputs?
Thanks!

Try using the "source level adjust" to bump up the Xbox to match the TV.
post #115 of 282 Old 01-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
On a separate note, I just got a Google Home and want the cleanest integration to the Denon AVR.

It seems to be that letting the Chromecast be the conduit is the best way to go. My understanding is that with the entire system off, I can ask Google Home to play music via the Chromecast; and by way of HDMI control, it can power on the AVR and select the correct input. Yes? I have HDMI control enabled in the AVR, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. It is leaving the AVR in standby, turning on the TV, and passing A/V straight to the TV. This seems to be using HDMI passthrough mode (which is forced on with HDMI Control), instead of powering up the AVR.

Anyone know what I might do to fix this?

This owners thread is kind of a ghost town. I didn't want to create a separate thread, but am still having trouble with this.

The best I have gotten it to work involves using the TV as well:

Chromecast kicks on, but instead of the AVR powering up, it seems to just pass-trough to the TV. TV turns on, then through one of it's features it "checks connection to external speakers", sees that they aren't connected, then the TV turns on the AVR. The whole process works without my intervention, but it takes a bit long.

I really wish the AVR would just power up when it gets the signal from the Chromecast! Any ideas?
post #116 of 282 Old 01-03-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
This owners thread is kind of a ghost town. I didn't want to create a separate thread, but am still having trouble with this.

The best I have gotten it to work involves using the TV as well:

Chromecast kicks on, but instead of the AVR powering up, it seems to just pass-trough to the TV. TV turns on, then through one of it's features it "checks connection to external speakers", sees that they aren't connected, then the TV turns on the AVR. The whole process works without my intervention, but it takes a bit long.

I really wish the AVR would just power up when it gets the signal from the Chromecast! Any ideas?

Better to post in the more active 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread that responds to all 2016 model questions. Lots of helpful information is provided in the first 8 posts of that thread to include firmware change log information.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...hread-faq.html
post #117 of 282 Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
"Old" AV Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvoigt View Post
I have a similar problem. I think I know the answer, but you won't like it. My wife got a used Wii gaming system for Christmas. It has a composite video output. I have an HDMI cable connecting my AVR-S720W to my TV. I strongly suspect that the composite video input to the receiver will not output over the HDMI connection, only over the yellow RCA monitor connection. Did you check for video out on the monitor connection? I couldn't find any information about this in the owner's manual, but I'm going to do some checking.
post #118 of 282 Old 01-06-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
I have a similar problem. I think I know the answer, but you won't like it. My wife got a used Wii gaming system for Christmas. It has a composite video output. I have an HDMI cable connecting my AVR-S720W to my TV. I strongly suspect that the composite video input to the receiver will not output over the HDMI connection, only over the yellow RCA monitor connection. Did you check for video out on the monitor connection? I couldn't find any information about this in the owner's manual, but I'm going to do some checking.
did that, but have sound from vcr but no picture using the yellow monitor video out connedted to to tv. May be a tv issue at this point.
post #119 of 282 Old 01-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I returned my Denon AVR-S720W today. I couldn't deal with the awful OSD and lack of 4K overlay any more.

I replaced it with a Yamaha TSR-7810. Only a little more expensive and you get a lot for that little spent. The Yamaha is a much nicer (and way more powerful) unit.

I will be in the market for another receiver in the next 6-9 months for my basement. Unless Denon really gets their crap together for the next lineup release, they have lost my business for sure.
post #120 of 282 Old 01-13-2017, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
I returned my Denon AVR-S720W today. I couldn't deal with the awful OSD and lack of 4K overlay any more.

I replaced it with a Yamaha TSR-7810. Only a little more expensive and you get a lot for that little spent. The Yamaha is a much nicer (and way more powerful) unit.

I will be in the market for another receiver in the next 6-9 months for my basement. Unless Denon really gets their crap together for the next lineup release, they have lost my business for sure.
I did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago, returned my S720W for a Yamaha RX-V781. It's a much better unit, the only thing I miss is Audyssey dynamic EQ. I loved how at lower volume levels I would get good bass and my surrounds also got a boost. With the Yamaha I enabled YPAO volume and Adaptive DRC and it still doesn't come close to Dynamic EQ in terms of boosting the surrounds at lower volume levels for that immersive sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page