The Official Denon 2016 AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 157Likes

post #121 of 282 Old 01-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just purchased the 920 at Best Buy $499.99. I am trying to play a Blu-Ray disc, input HDMI #3 , output Component Out to my projector. The sound is ok (have to turn it WAY up). The real problem is no video. What am I missing?
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 282 Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 180
So I just hooked up a chromecast audio, thinking it would act like a regular chromecast and auto switch inputs, it does not. I realize now thinking through it, the reason a chromecast video is able to auto switch inputs is HDMI CEC flag. Chromecast audio is connected via a mini toslink to toslink, which doesnt have the ability to auto switch. Any ideas to get that functionality with our receiver? Any harmony features that would allow this? My goal is to tell google home to cast audio to home theater and have it auto switch without having to mess with inputs on the remote (easier for wife this way too).
post #123 of 282 Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 282 Old 01-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goke313 View Post
Yes it does for the Xbox one s
post #125 of 282 Old 01-28-2017, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sauer View Post
I just purchased the 920 at Best Buy $499.99. I am trying to play a Blu-Ray disc, input HDMI #3 , output Component Out to my projector. The sound is ok (have to turn it WAY up). The real problem is no video. What am I missing?
I am wondering if you can go that way. I know you can go component in to HDMI out but not sure about the other way around. Make sure video processing is on though that might help.
post #126 of 282 Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, new member, former lurker. Just picked up the S920 and have had it a little over a week. It replaces a really nice Harmon Kardon that was only "digital ready" long ago. So this is the first time I am running everything through a receiver.

Pretty sure at this point that when the AVR is ON, I want it to always be the sound output to the speakers connected. What I haven't figured out is this. If I'm playing a CD in DVD player through the speakers, then turn on the TV, it defaults to speaker TV. I either want to A: be able to change this real time, or B: change the settings so that the receiver will default away from the TV speakers whenever the receiver is on. Can I do this?
post #127 of 282 Old 02-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
"Internet Radio" doesn't allow you to enter or save any URL for a station you want to listen to. You must choose from a Denon-defined list. For the case of "Classical, High Quality", the list includes less than 10 stations. And, at least one of those is "dead", and another one has a man bellowing something about "enjoy fine music" every two minutes. (Bellowing much louder than the music content.) For the critical Classical listener, the finest stations in the World are run out of Athens, by "Psychomed.org". It is impossible to add any of these stations. Why on earth did they implement "Internet" with no URLs?
Page 89 of the manual. You need the MAC address of your unit, then go to www(dot)radiodenon(dot)com to create more stations.

(I realize your post is old, but didn't find a newer one which indicated you figured this out)
rickst29 likes this.
post #128 of 282 Old 02-03-2017, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 742 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked: 12299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
THE UGLY:

"Internet Radio" doesn't allow you to enter or save any URL for a station you want to listen to. You must choose from a Denon-defined list. For the case of "Classical, High Quality", the list includes less than 10 stations. And, at least one of those is "dead", and another one has a man bellowing something about "enjoy fine music" every two minutes. (Bellowing much louder than the music content.) For the critical Classical listener, the finest stations in the World are run out of Athens, by "Psychomed.org". It is impossible to add any of these stations. Why on earth did they implement "Internet" with no URLs?
Lot's of very helpful information is provided in the first 8 posts of the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread to include information on how to add additional stations by setting up a vTuner account in Post 4 (item 4).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post43790674
post #129 of 282 Old 02-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Hey everyone,

First post here on the forum. I've got issues with my brand new avr720 I bought to replace an aging Yamaha rxv596.

I've dealt with certain things already, Bluetooth connections, handshaking issues, low power compared to the Yamaha. I am stuck with one issue which may result in a return.

My ps4 is my primary input it does everything for me. It is hooked up using HDMI, linear PCM out of the ps4 on a 5.1 system. Netflix seems fine but last night I loaded up fallout 4 and initially thought what great surround I'm getting, that quickly turned to, the rear channels are outputting way too much innacurate sound and it's unplayable. I tried a different game and it was spmewhat better, primarily due to that game having surround options. I am going to try disabling dynamic EQ, but the extent of my fiddling only goes so far. I did the audyssey setup twice. The Yamaha's setup was plug and play and all inputs sound the same. My setup is basic and I don't expect more then I had quality wise. I'm just used to not fiddling or surpises with the output.

Thanks!
post #130 of 282 Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just purchased S920 - help me justify this to the wife!

Arriving tomorrow is my S920. $499 from Neweggg. This replaces my old (2007) Denon AVR 2307CI
It is driving a 5.1 setup of Klipsch Reference R 52 series fronts, center and rear. I have high hopes I will notice an upgrade in sound and picture quality from the old receiver. Partly due to the change from component and optical cables to all HDMI, bust mostly due to the new receiver. AVS group will I be justified?
Either way the purchase was motivated by wanting a wireless/streaming radio/i pod compatible one. So I wont be dissapointed in that area.
Any general tips on setup/configuration? Are the higher end HDMI cables worth it or should I save my money and get the $10 -$15 ones?

Help out a newb.
post #131 of 282 Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The Official Denon 2016 AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Cosby View Post
Hey everyone,

First post here on the forum. I've got issues with my brand new avr720 I bought to replace an aging Yamaha rxv596.

I've dealt with certain things already, Bluetooth connections, handshaking issues, low power compared to the Yamaha. I am stuck with one issue which may result in a return.

My ps4 is my primary input it does everything for me. It is hooked up using HDMI, linear PCM out of the ps4 on a 5.1 system. Netflix seems fine but last night I loaded up fallout 4 and initially thought what great surround I'm getting, that quickly turned to, the rear channels are outputting way too much innacurate sound and it's unplayable. I tried a different game and it was spmewhat better, primarily due to that game having surround options. I am going to try disabling dynamic EQ, but the extent of my fiddling only goes so far. I did the audyssey setup twice. The Yamaha's setup was plug and play and all inputs sound the same. My setup is basic and I don't expect more then I had quality wise. I'm just used to not fiddling or surpises with the output.

Thanks!

I have has problems with surround panning ( tested in destiny, go to the tower spin and see whether the Npc dialogue is in the correct place) in Ps4 and Xbox one ( games) while using Pcm and Dts, dolby digital works fine. My receiver is not a yamaha though.
I believe the pcm output in both consoles is bugged. So is dts.

TV-Sony Bravia KD-65"A1, Pioneer SC-LX901 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X, Polk DSW 660*2, Polk RTi A7*2, Pol Csi A6, Polk RtiA5*2, Polk Tsi300*2, Polk TSX 220B *2, Polk OWM 3*2, Zappiti-4kHDROne, Oppo UDP-203, XboxOneX, PS4, Oppo BDP-83, Darbee DVP-500s, ZidooX10, Sony Bravia HX925 55"
post #132 of 282 Old 03-31-2017, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did the mic setup with my 720 but unsure of results.

It put the speakers in the -db zone. Shouldn't they be in the + db?

AVR S720W and polk sub 10 . Samsung KS8500 . Apple TV 3 . Harmony 650 remote
Bell Fibe TV 4k PVR . Playstation 3 .MacBook Pro . Iphone 6S and 7
post #133 of 282 Old 04-07-2017, 07:44 AM

Liked: 10
I just cannot seem to find out how to get 2.1 out of this? Front w sub?

I have a 5.1 with two additional speakers I will be connecting soon for 7.1.

I just bought this to replace an older Sony receiver.

Is there a way to play music through the front two speakers and the sub? It sounds good with the front two but the sub is not triggered. It does trigger if I go to 5.1 but I don't want the surround on to do music.

Am I missing this option somewhere?
post #134 of 282 Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello, is it possible to plug a WD MyCloud 4To into the front socket of the Denon avr-s720w (via the back socket of the WD obviously)?

This connection is preferable (quality / speed) has access via Wi-Fi (Ethernet not available) ...? And if so what are the capacities of this take (up to 96Khz ?? in 2 channels?)

The 4K pass-through ... is there a possibility of quality losses (considering I have high-end devices) to favor this option rather than direct to the TV (Samsung UN65JS9000 and Oppo UDP-205)

Thank you for your reply.

UN65JS9000,UN55F7500, UN46D7000, PT-AE4000, Da-Lite hi-power, Sony XBR7 55'', Simaudio 4150se (2x), Simaudio HT3, Simaudio P-5002, Integra 80.2, Oppo 105 & 93, Jamo Concert (all series), Jamo 707i, Jamo sub 600e (3x), Bose 901 ser. VI, Harman-Kardon 3490, Technics SATX-50, Rotel RDP+RDD 980, Technics SL-1800...
post #135 of 282 Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm talking about USB sockets of course...

UN65JS9000,UN55F7500, UN46D7000, PT-AE4000, Da-Lite hi-power, Sony XBR7 55'', Simaudio 4150se (2x), Simaudio HT3, Simaudio P-5002, Integra 80.2, Oppo 105 & 93, Jamo Concert (all series), Jamo 707i, Jamo sub 600e (3x), Bose 901 ser. VI, Harman-Kardon 3490, Technics SATX-50, Rotel RDP+RDD 980, Technics SL-1800...
post #136 of 282 Old 05-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Atmos not working on AVR-S920w

Hello, new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the right section.

I recently purchased the s920w and am having a problem with getting it to play in atmos mode. I have a 7.1 speaker setup with "top middle" ceiling speakers with amp mode set to drive those. Samsung Blu-ray player connected via hdmi to blu-ray input on receiver. Verified samsung is set to output in bitstream not pcm. When I check info / it shows "dolby digital + dolby surround". It does show that all speakers (7.1) are playing however it does not show or allow me to select dolby atmos. I've tried 2 different atmos blu-ray titles and 2 different blu-ray players. I've tried manual setup of speakers as well as audyssey.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
post #137 of 282 Old 05-06-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Blu-ray disk probably has audio several tracks. The default one may not be the 7.1 track. Go into audio setup on the Blu-ray and see if you can select the Atmos track.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #138 of 282 Old 05-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
The Blu-ray disk probably has audio several tracks. The default one may not be the 7.1 track. Go into audio setup on the Blu-ray and see if you can select the Atmos track.

Thanks Marc,

So the 2 blu-rays are deepwater horizon and hunger games mockingjay pt2. Both give the options of "English Dolby Digital" (as well as spanish dolby digital and descriptive audio options) ...but nothing else. No 7.1 option.
post #139 of 282 Old 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Lots of rental discs are stripped down and don't have the HD audio track. Sucks

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #140 of 282 Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
Lots of rental discs are stripped down and don't have the HD audio track. Sucks

Yeah, these are not rentals...purchased new copies in store...both have dolby atmos logos on case.
post #141 of 282 Old 05-20-2017, 02:19 PM

AVR-S920W Online Music Menu Freezes

Hi,

I purchased an AVR-S920W. As a matter of fact the one I have now is an exchange for the original. I sent the original back because the Online Music menu would periodically freeze such that I couldn't make a selection of any of the 5 different options on that menu. I could back out of it and everything else would function properly however the only way to resolve the issue was to unplug it.

The second receiver is doing the same thing except that the last online music channel that was used will continue to play while I can't navigate the menu. I can navigate around the rest of the remote options. When I go back to online music menu, the last selection will continue to play but I still can't navigate to other music options. The last time it froze I let the music play for 1.5 hours and the behavior never changed. The seller referred me to Denon support. Denon said "it's the network" but can't provide any more information about what on the network may be causing the behavior. The receiver will work fine for 3-5 days after I've unplugged it.

I've done the following:
- Performed a processor reset as instructed by Denon and then uploaded my original configuration file
- Updated to the latest firmware
- Tried both the 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz bands. The online music menu froze on both.
- Used a wifi analyzer. The signal strength was the same no matter how the menu functioned.
- No other device on the network (wired or wireless) have any issues operating
- There aren't other networks in the neighborhood that are recognized by the receiver or any analyzer that may be in conflict.

I now have two options I can send a 2 week old receiver to Denon to review and see if they can discover what the issue is or I can also return this one to the seller. I'd prefer to do neither as I like the receiver but I'd also like to get this resolved.

As of now, I've only got a few more days before I have to return it to the seller. I would appreciate any input that might help me resolve this.

Thanks in advance.
post #142 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Is this normal behaviour, because it can be pretty bad sometimes.

I'll just give an example of my setup.

PS4 to Blu-Ray port of AVR -> AVR HDMI out to Samsung HDTV.

While I'm playing Persona 5 for example, the screen will either briefly black out or just lose the signal completely, and nothing restores the signal until I turn the TV off then on.

Sometimes I can see the picture get squished towards the side before it blacks out, then the picture comes back.

Is there anyway to fix this?

This occurs even on something like Netflix.
post #143 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSynergy View Post
So I just hooked up a chromecast audio, thinking it would act like a regular chromecast and auto switch inputs, it does not. I realize now thinking through it, the reason a chromecast video is able to auto switch inputs is HDMI CEC flag. Chromecast audio is connected via a mini toslink to toslink, which doesnt have the ability to auto switch. Any ideas to get that functionality with our receiver? Any harmony features that would allow this? My goal is to tell google home to cast audio to home theater and have it auto switch without having to mess with inputs on the remote (easier for wife this way too).
I have posted similar question in the Marantz forums. Answer: no. Can't be done...a real shame AV companies don't wake up and either include Chromecast (like Airplay) or allow auto-sense on an input!

post #144 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bluetooth streaming dropouts!

I have an Echo Dot driving my S920W. Keeps dropping out audio! I've changed wife to 5ghz, no luck, moved Dot to within 2 feet, no luck...I suspect it's the Denon since all my Denon/Marantz units have online streaming issue. All hard-wired, no wifi. It's possible it's the Dot, but I would think there would be more I'd find online about it...

Any ideas?

post #145 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearse View Post
I have posted similar question in the Marantz forums. Answer: no. Can't be done...a real shame AV companies don't wake up and either include Chromecast (like Airplay) or allow auto-sense on an input!
I believe Onkyo and Pioneer feature Chromecast/Google cast audio on their newer receivers.

Afro GT
post #146 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Audyssey xt32 sub level matching screen

Have a x4300h on the way. Will be running dual subs. I run them hot so like to have audyssey trim come back well into the negative range (-10 to -11) so I have room to bump trim by about 8db. So that would mean aiming for a a sub level on each sub probably around 82db I'm guessing. I have an older avr-1912 so not familiar with the modern audyssey xt32 setup. In looking through the manual it looks like you can only get to the sub level matching screen if sub level falls outside of Audysseys expected range. So I could certainly just intentionally do that. Is there any other way to directly activate the sub level matching part of setup? Thanks.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #147 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
The level for each channel goes from -12 to +12 so there is no reason you need to have it calibrated well back in the negative range at -10 or -11. I think -5 should be sufficient. Then if you bump it up 8db its only at +3.

Sub EQ HT calibrates each sub separately then together after that. So the channel volume control affects both subs simultaneously.

You'll figure it out once your new AVR comes in.

Afro GT
post #148 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
The level for each channel goes from -12 to +12 so there is no reason you need to have it calibrated well back in the negative range at -10 or -11. I think -5 should be sufficient. Then if you bump it up 8db its only at +3.

Sub EQ HT calibrates each sub separately then together after that. So the channel volume control affects both subs simultaneously.

You'll figure it out once your new AVR comes in.
Thanks. Over in the sub forums many share the opinion (including some sub manufacturers like SVS) that you should avoid going into the positive sub trim range and up gain on sub if needed to ensure a clean signal with ample headroom if you run it hot. This gets mentioned in the AVS Audyssey faq too recommending aiming for a sub level of ~83-85db although there they do say up to +3.5 sub trim is ok.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...a-1726.html#f4

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #149 of 282 Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 742 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked: 12299
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Have a x4300h on the way. Will be running dual subs. I run them hot so like to have audyssey trim come back well into the negative range (-10 to -11) so I have room to bump trim by about 8db. So that would mean aiming for a a sub level on each sub probably around 82db I'm guessing. I have an older avr-1912 so not familiar with the modern audyssey xt32 setup. In looking through the manual it looks like you can only get to the sub level matching screen if sub level falls outside of Audysseys expected range. So I could certainly just intentionally do that. Is there any other way to directly activate the sub level matching part of setup? Thanks.
Oops! Wrong thread. Please repost in the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread which discusses all of the 2016 Denon AVRs.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...hread-faq.html
post #150 of 282 Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Cannot Connect to Network

Has anyone had this issue? Wireless network, 2.5/5.0 Asus router.

Everything else works, signal is strong. Tried the Scan for networks and it rejects the password (yes, tested and verified). WPS setup just hangs (over 10 minutes)

What is the best way to connect?

Latest firmware to router, not using WEP....WPA

Kind of frustrating as I love the rest of the unit.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
AVR-S720W/AVR-S920W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page