GTD Audio Q3000 Power Amp - questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By kikkenit2
  • 1 Post By kikkenit2
  • 1 Post By MountainMichael

post #1 of 5 Old 05-03-2016, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Question GTD Audio Q3000 Power Amp - questions

I'm obviously no AVR expert so I'd appreciate it if ya' take it easy on me here.

My setup is 7 Fluance XL speakers (towers plus surrounds) and 2 Yamaha powered 10" subs. Previous AVR was a Yamaha RX-A820 but the power xformer started buzzing at 3 years so Newegg refunded. I waited until sales season and just found Yamaha RX-V779 at 300 off so I ordered one.

With the 820, sound was very good - but sounded strained or maybe not quite as clean as it should be at higher output. Could be the budget speakers, but it's been reported that this lower level of Yamahas is a bit limited, too.

So I see the GTD Audio Q3000 2 channel power amp in Amazon and ebay for 110 shipped. Yeah, I know. I figured for supposedly 200 watts RMS for a 2 channel amp at that price, it is probably junk.

But Amazon & ebay feedback and a relative few Google hits indicates that may not be the case. I thought I might try it.

Questions: Has anyone tried these amps hooked up to preamp out on a late model lower line AVR similar to the 779?

Next, if I decide to chance this admittedly risky experiment, can anyone tell me what adapters or patch cables I would need? I can figure that out if needed but to put it another way: Which inputs would I use on this amp? Balanced, unbalanced, imbalanced, psychopathic it's all greek to me.

I know they look like mic and what I consider older inputs but quite a few people claim to be using them to good effect with later model home stereos.

My plan is to use it for the 4 ohm mains speakers and use the Yamaha's onboard amp for the surround speakers. Is that at all likely to work with the YPAO or just drive it barking mad?

Here is a link to the product in Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-Chan...ct_top?ie=UTF8I

I found and downloaded the owner's manual for the amp but it is of no help with the above questions.

Thank you,

Michael

Last edited by MountainMichael; 05-03-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-04-2016, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
All you need is 2 single pin rca to xlr cables (male both ends). Monoprice has them for cheap.
Probably only manual on so either a smart power strip or flip the switch each time.
Set the gain on each channel the same and they probably need to be 90% max for
the low voltage receiver output. Rerun the setup software and the receiver will calibrate
each speaker to match volume. Check speaker levels set by software after completed.
Any speaker level pegged at full or minimum is bad. Chinese clone?
MountainMichael likes this.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 05-04-2016 at 03:27 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-04-2016, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
All you need is 2 single pin rca to xlr cables (male both ends). Monoprice has them for cheap.
Probably only manual on so either a smart power strip or flip the switch each time.
Set the gain on each channel the same and they probably need to be 90% max for
the low voltage receiver output. Rerun the setup software and the receiver will calibrate
each speaker to match volume. Check speaker levels set by software after completed.
Any speaker level pegged at full or minimum is bad. Chinese clone?
Thank you very much for the detailed info. I really appreciate it!

I don't know if it is a Chinese clone of something else or not. I'm reasonably certain it is made in China at that price point.

It appears about 1 in 20 fail outright and will have to be swapped out. I suppose that's not as bad as typical AVR's and other consumer electronics at present.

You are right that it is manually switched for on and off. I have a power strip working correctly so this should be ok as long as it doesn't present with a pop or something. I can work around that if so.

Thank you for the quick reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post
Thank you very much for the detailed info. I really appreciate it!
I don't know if it is a Chinese clone of something else or not. I'm reasonably certain it is made in China at that price point.
It appears about 1 in 20 fail outright and will have to be swapped out. I suppose that's not as bad as typical AVR's and other consumer electronics at present. You are right that it is manually switched for on and off. I have a power strip working correctly so this should be ok as long as it doesn't present with a pop or something. I can work around that if so. Thank you for the quick reply.
I would give it a try. Maybe check the mentioned settings and any hiss, amplified
noise, fan noise or hum you hear and report findings back here.
MountainMichael likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Kikkenit2,

Thanks again for your input!

As it happens, I ended up buying an older B&K Sonata Series Video 5 amp in ebay this evening. Look forward to giving it a try as, although it is an older amp, it is supposedly in good condition.

fwiw,

Michael
kikkenit2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page