The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281392Likes

post #3931 of 17652 Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
When you select "TV Audio" on the remote, yes, just as would be the case when you select any other source as well.
This right here is exactly why I keep coming back to this thread lol. I am probably going to hook everything up tonight, shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 to run speaker cables as my room isn't massive. And I was working up what HDMI port I was going to hook what up to since I have cable box, UHD Blu-ray, PS4, Wii U, Raspberry Pi, and soon to be Nintendo Switch, so I was laying things out and I knew about the CEC issues that can happen so I was going to bypass that with an optical audio cable and that above is exactly what I was going to ask. I know the HDMI ports are assignable so does that mean I can rename them in the OSD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 17652 Old 01-25-2017, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 785 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23459 Post(s)
Liked: 12899
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
This right here is exactly why I keep coming back to this thread lol. I am probably going to hook everything up tonight, shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 to run speaker cables as my room isn't massive. And I was working up what HDMI port I was going to hook what up to since I have cable box, UHD Blu-ray, PS4, Wii U, Raspberry Pi, and soon to be Nintendo Switch, so I was laying things out and I knew about the CEC issues that can happen so I was going to bypass that with an optical audio cable and that above is exactly what I was going to ask. I know the HDMI ports are assignable so does that mean I can rename them in the OSD?
Yup.
post #3933 of 17652 Old 01-25-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post
hey all... great info as always.

I have a couple questions...

I grabbed the AVR-X3300W for use with a new Sony XBR-75X940D....

Regarding up-scaling... which is better at getting SD and HD sources pushed to 4K? I've heard generally good things about both, but wondering if one is the definitive choice especially when it comes to the video compression used in streaming, OTA or Satellite.

Another question related to scaling and gaming... Gamecube 480p over component cables.. Should I directly connect to the XRB or use the x3300w to push through HDMI?

secondly... I currently have Polk Audio Monitor 70s (8 ohm) , a CS2 (8 ohm) center and PSW505 in a 5.1 setup. I assume I should keep the x3300w at 8 ohm.... is there anything else I should do or consider for properly powering that setup?

thank you.
1. Your own eyes would be the best judge.
2. Regardless of the speaker impedance, don't change the setting from factory default of 8-ohm, as doing so simply limits the power going to the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3934 of 17652 Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Yup.
Perfect as always JD your a fountain of excellent information and help.
post #3935 of 17652 Old 01-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Unhappy Denon AVR-X6300H overheating issues

Is Denon receivers known for overheating issues?

Last time I visited the US I purchased the AVR-X6300H, today was actually the first time using it, but I did have pretty bad luck. After calibration I started to play a movie in a 7.1 speaker setup (at medium volume levels) and then the receiver went to protection mode (blinking red led light). It was extremely hot, so my first guess was overheating, and noticed it has three internal fans, but they don't work, they never spin up (Internal fan/cool system seems defective?)

I upgraded from a Denon S910W, which I've been using for almost two years now without any issues at high volume levels. So I ran exactly the same speaker setup on the X6300H.

I've tried multiple hard resets and updated it to latest firmware, also I tried disconnecting every speaker as Internet forums suggested. Still no luck, it will eventually overheat and turn off.

Everything looks fine (Power 110v, 60hz, speakers), except the fan/cooler system does not turn on, looks like it's a defective unit.

Should I handle this issue directly with the dealer I purchased the unit or Denon?

I'm super disappointed as I don't live in the US, and shipping costs are going to be expensive
post #3936 of 17652 Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroman View Post
Is Denon receivers known for overheating issues?

Last time I visited the US I purchased the AVR-X6300H, today was actually the first time using it, but I did have pretty bad luck. After calibration I started to play a movie in a 7.1 speaker setup (at medium volume levels) and then the receiver went to protection mode (blinking red led light). It was extremely hot, so my first guess was overheating, and noticed it has three internal fans, but they don't work, they never spin up (Internal fan/cool system seems defective?)

I upgraded from a Denon S910W, which I've been using for almost two years now without any issues at high volume levels. So I ran exactly the same speaker setup on the X6300H.

I've tried multiple hard resets and updated it to latest firmware, also I tried disconnecting every speaker as Internet forums suggested. Still no luck, it will eventually overheat and turn off.

Everything looks fine (Power 110v, 60hz, speakers), except the fan/cooler system does not turn on, looks like it's a defective unit.

Should I handle this issue directly with the dealer I purchased the unit or Denon?

I'm super disappointed as I don't live in the US, and shipping costs are going to be expensive

Not at all.

Does the unit have proper ventilation (ie. at least 3-4" above and on the sides with open front and back)? If not, then take the unit out of the cabinet and place it in the open to see if the AVR still shuts down.

Otherwise, it could also be a defective speaker. Disconnect all speakers and power up the AVR. If it still overheats, then you've got a defective AVR. Otherwise, if not, then connect one speaker at a time until the AVR shuts down in protection mode.

Otherwise, if you do have to ship it back and if still within the dealer's exchange period (normally 30 days), you could work directly with the dealer to just exchange it; otherwise, you'll have to ship it back to the USA (United Radio, Syracuse, NY) if you want in-warranty repair.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-26-2017 at 05:20 AM.
post #3937 of 17652 Old 01-26-2017, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have the X4300H arriving soon. Can I set it for 11.1 (with the height2 speakers not powered) and then use a 4 channel amp to drive both the front and rear height speakers? I assume all the pre-outs are hot? Will the X4300H still send power to the height2 speaker posts and any issues with not connecting the speakers. Would it be better to just externally power either the F/L or the height2 using a 2 channel amp for any reason? I was thinking I want all four height speakers to have the same amp. Thanks for any help.
post #3938 of 17652 Old 01-26-2017, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
I have the X4300H arriving soon. Can I set it for 11.1 (with the height2 speakers not powered) and then use a 4 channel amp to drive both the front and rear height speakers? I assume all the pre-outs are hot? Will the X4300H still send power to the height2 speaker posts and any issues with not connecting the speakers. Would it be better to just externally power either the F/L or the height2 using a 2 channel amp for any reason? I was thinking I want all four height speakers to have the same amp. Thanks for any help.
Which two speakers you externally power to expand to 11CH depends on your budget. A 2/3/4CH amp providing 200W+ (@ $500-$1000) would be better served powering at least the FL/FR speakers while a 2CH 50W amp (@$100 - $200) would be better served powering the HT2 L/R speakers. There's no reason for all 4 height speakers to be powered by the same amp.
post #3939 of 17652 Old 01-26-2017, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Which two speakers you externally power to expand to 11CH depends on your budget. A 2/3/4CH amp providing 200W+ (@ $500-$1000) would be better served powering at least the FL/FR speakers while a 2CH 50W amp (@$100 - $200) would be better served powering the HT2 L/R speakers. There's no reason for all 4 height speakers to be powered by the same amp.
Thanks. I will use the easy button then and go with a 2 channel amp.
post #3940 of 17652 Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
The AKM 4458, same one that's in the Oppo 203 I believe.
Thank you
post #3941 of 17652 Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am planning to use X4300H to run a 7.1.2 configuration. I am using SVS Ultra towers for FL / FR and planning to bi-amp them using with 7 channel bi-amp setting on X4300H. Denon x4300H manual depicts this speaker connection in their 7.1 bi-amp setting page using up all 11 speaker posts (2 Height speakers + 7.1 bi-amp connection) without any external amplifier.

I am confused how this will work because it uses up all 11 speaker posts, but X4300H only has 9 onboard amplifiers. Does it mean that when the Atmos speakers are firing it will take away power from other channels? Do I require an external 2 CH amplifier if I want to bi-amp FL / FR and also power the two Atmos height speakers continuously? Will it be better if I do not bi-amp for FL / FR channels and use all the 9 onboard amplifiers for 7.1.2 setup? Is there real perceivable benefit of bi-amping?
post #3942 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakash Asokan View Post
I am planning to use X4300H to run a 7.1.2 configuration. I am using SVS Ultra towers for FL / FR and planning to bi-amp them using with 7 channel bi-amp setting on X4300H. Denon x4300H manual depicts this speaker connection in their 7.1 bi-amp setting page using up all 11 speaker posts (2 Height speakers + 7.1 bi-amp connection) without any external amplifier.

I am confused how this will work because it uses up all 11 speaker posts, but X4300H only has 9 onboard amplifiers. Does it mean that when the Atmos speakers are firing it will take away power from other channels? Do I require an external 2 CH amplifier if I want to bi-amp FL / FR and also power the two Atmos height speakers continuously? Will it be better if I do not bi-amp for FL / FR channels and use all the 9 onboard amplifiers for 7.1.2 setup? Is there real perceivable benefit of bi-amping?
It means that depending on the surround mode selected either the SB or FH speakers will be active, but not both at the same time (ie. 7.1 + 2CH Bi-amp); however, no benefit to bi-amp, so best to just use AMP ASSIGN = 9.1.
post #3943 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Got my 6300 setup today. A couple of issues/questions....

Am I right in saying (and based some posts above I think I am) that ARC is not all it's cracked up to be? Using my LGOLEDB6 it seems I have to have CEC enabled which is typically a pain. I use aharmony remote and every time I turn it on the 6300 goes to TV Input. Should I just give up and use an optical digital cable or is there some way of making this work?

Also have a satellite STB Foxtel IQ3 (Australian model - manufactured by Pace I think). Connected via HDMI I can get video but no sound. Again, using an optical cable for audio resolves the problem. Does anybody know why HDMI does not work for this STB? I have had the same issue trying to run it through an Oppo BDP-203.

On my TV I am able to adjust the picture mode settings. However since I have connected all sources through my new 6300 this option I snow greyed out. Which means I basically cannot make any adjustments and it seems to have opted for settings other than this I want to use. Any suggestions as to how to get around this.

Cheers
blairy
post #3944 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
Got my 6300 setup today. A couple of issues/questions....

Am I right in saying (and based some posts above I think I am) that ARC is not all it's cracked up to be? Using my LGOLEDB6 it seems I have to have CEC enabled which is typically a pain. I use aharmony remote and every time I turn it on the 6300 goes to TV Input. Should I just give up and use an optical digital cable or is there some way of making this work?

Also have a satellite STB Foxtel IQ3 (Australian model - manufactured by Pace I think). Connected via HDMI I can get video but no sound. Again, using an optical cable for audio resolves the problem. Does anybody know why HDMI does not work for this STB? I have had the same issue trying to run it through an Oppo BDP-203.

On my TV I am able to adjust the picture mode settings. However since I have connected all sources through my new 6300 this option I snow greyed out. Which means I basically cannot make any adjustments and it seems to have opted for settings other than this I want to use. Any suggestions as to how to get around this.

Cheers
blairy

1. Set "TV Audio Switching" to OFF (p. 195 USA Owner's manual, likely near that page in yours as well).
2. To mitigate HDMI handshake issues, sometimes a specific power on sequence will work, generally: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source. Also try using other HDMI inputs on the AVR.
3. The AVR is still a source input to the TV, so you should be able to make adjustments using the TV.
post #3945 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

You'll find that most people on this forum will tell you that the bi-amping using one receiver is usually pointless. I have never bothered trying it but I understand the urge to do it just because you can. If you don't feel like you are getting everything out of your speakers then look into getting a nice 2-ch amp for them.
post #3946 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Does anyone use Zone to send a signal to the same device, but a different input?

I'm haven't received my LG B6 OLED yet, but when playing games, the TV needs to be put into game mode and I think certain options are disabled. So I want to avoid having to set the Game mode every time I played. I looked at the manual online, but wasn't clear on exactly what would happen to the audio if I used Zone 2 and didn't want the audio and still wanted to control Zone 1. I would manage this all with a Logitech Harmony.

The scenario I'm talking about.
TV Input 1+x4300 HDMI Output 1: DirecTV, Bluray, etc.
TV Input 2+x4300 HDMI Output 2: Xbox, Playstation

I wasn't sure it any additional lag or processing would occur by outputting a 2nd HDMI signal.
post #3947 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
Does anyone use Zone to send a signal to the same device, but a different input?

I'm haven't received my LG B6 OLED yet, but when playing games, the TV needs to be put into game mode and I think certain options are disabled. So I want to avoid having to set the Game mode every time I played. I looked at the manual online, but wasn't clear on exactly what would happen to the audio if I used Zone 2 and didn't want the audio and still wanted to control Zone 1. I would manage this all with a Logitech Harmony.

I wasn't sure it any additional lag or processing would occur by outputting a 2nd HDMI signal.

If you want to use the surround sound speakers for all sources, use Monitor 2 out not Zone 2 HDMI out.
post #3948 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you want to use the surround sound speakers for all sources, use Monitor 2 out not Zone 2 HDMI out.
Thanks. That sounds even easier. Does the x4300 have the ability to drive two displays at once? Or is the Monitor 1/2 just to determine which output to use?
post #3949 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. That sounds even easier. Does the x4300 have the ability to drive two displays at once? Or is the Monitor 1/2 just to determine which output to use?
It will send the same source out of both outputs when HDMI Video Output = Auto (Dual), p. 194 Owner's manual.
post #3950 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I would manage this all with a Logitech Harmony.

Couldn't you just setup the Harmony to choose Game setting on the OLED when you start the Xbox or PlayStation activity?

-Mike
post #3951 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It means that depending on the surround mode selected either the SB or FH speakers will be active, but not both at the same time (ie. 7.1 + 2CH Bi-amp); however, no benefit to bi-amp, so best to just use AMP ASSIGN = 9.1.
Thank you. When using down firing speakers for height channels for Atmos, should we set them up as "Height sp" or "Dolby sp" in X4300H speaker settings? I assume "Dolby sp" is only to be used when using up firing speakers which reflect off of the ceiling. Is that correct?
post #3952 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS24 View Post
Couldn't you just setup the Harmony to choose Game setting on the OLED when you start the Xbox or PlayStation activity?
I'll have to see what the TV has for discrete commands. I believe that you have to put the TV into Game mode and also select a Game Icon. I'm not sure if it's a toggle or you have to send multiple steps in order to activate it.

I'll ask in the dedicated B6 thread.
post #3953 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you. When using down firing speakers for height channels for Atmos, should we set them up as "Height sp" or "Dolby sp" in X4300H speaker settings? I assume "Dolby sp" is only to be used when using up firing speakers which reflect off of the ceiling. Is that correct?
Correct.
post #3954 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi Guys - I need Audyssey Platinum.

I was going to get the 3300 until I realized it didnt have it.

What would be the best Denon model to get under say 7 or $800.00?
4200W?

Thanks.
post #3955 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down Will Wide be supported in Denon Flagship Refresh?

I am seriously disappointed that Denon decided to remove support for wide channels in its AVR-X6300H. I have throughly enjoyed the experience of wide channels on my Denon 4311. I am in the market to buy a new AVR (since my 4311 stopped working) and the 6300 looks nearly perfect except for the fact that it doesn't support wide channels through Audyssey DSX or Dolby Atmos. What am I suppose to do with my wide channels now? Hang them from the ceiling? Why is there support for a bunch of height channels that don't add as much to the experience, but no wide channels? What is going to fill the enormous spatial gap between my front and surround speakers now? Should I get the older 6200 or 7200 model just to maintain the wide channels? I normally would but I don't see all the same support for HDR, WCG, etc. video support in those models that is claimed by the 6300. I want to make sure I have the best video and audio from my AVR, but that doesn't seem possible with Denon's line-up
post #3956 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Buy the X4200/6200 instead?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #3957 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hi jd and all,

Well I've had a week or so to assimilate myself with the X4300H, it's a very nice unit with a ton to offer an end user..

That being said, there are a couple of things that I miss about using my Emo UMC-1.
The UMC had buttons on the remote to change the levels of Center, Sub, Surround, and Back ...on the fly ..very useful with different content.

I experimented with the Denon, but found when I change something, it turns the auto cal'ed settings off.
Is there a way to switch things up and not lose Audyssey settings? Are they found in the Setup, under dialog enhance etc settings?

Sure would like to be able to change volumes of specific channels/speakers without losing calibration..

Bear with me, I'm still new to this BTW..

ALSO, I have found that Audyssey categorizes everything (except the center) as Full/Large.
Now... I listen to content at very high levels sometimes, and have 2 Rythmik 15" subs, rated at 400 watts ea.
I'd like to set all but my main LR speakers to 'small' and let the subs handle everything from 70-50Hz on down ...
Is there a way to do that without losing cal'ed EQ, distance, time alignment, etc. settings?

Scuze me, it's Friday and I've had a couple..HICCUP!

Actually, I love tube amps..
I play guitars through them.
post #3958 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ALSO, I have found that Audyssey categorizes everything (except the center) as Full/Large.
Now... I listen to content at very high levels sometimes, and have 2 Rythmik 15" subs, rated at 400 watts ea.
I'd like to set all but my main LR speakers to 'small' and let the subs handle everything from 70-50Hz on down ...
Is there a way to do that without losing cal'ed EQ, distance, time alignment, etc. settings?
You can change the speaker sizes and keep all Audyssey calibrations. I set all of mine to small and set the crossover at 80Hz.
post #3959 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
You can change the speaker sizes and keep all Audyssey calibrations. I set all of mine to small and set the crossover at 80Hz.
Ok, great...
Tread through manual, or you gotta shortcut,?
Guess a manual page will do as well

Thanks Again

Actually, I love tube amps..
I play guitars through them.
post #3960 of 17652 Old 01-27-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, great...
Tread through manual, or you gotta shortcut,?
Guess a manual page will do as well

Thanks Again
Setup > Speakers > Manual > Setup > Speaker Config
Setup > Speakers > Manual > Setup > Crossovers
wreckingball likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page