The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281428Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4531 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Member
 
abit late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvipster View Post
So after playing around with my 4300h today I started noticing hiss when listening to tidal through Heos.
Is this normal? I usually have to turn it up to at least -15db and sometimes -10db for it to be audible.
It's also there when no music is playing, but then I have to turn it up to around 0 before it can be heard.
It's both here when using Audyssey and in direct mode.
Hiss as in a badly tuned in radio/TV or electrical noise like a buzzing/whine?
abit late is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4532 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Member
 
zvipster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abit late View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvipster View Post
So after playing around with my 4300h today I started noticing hiss when listening to tidal through Heos.
Is this normal? I usually have to turn it up to at least -15db and sometimes -10db for it to be audible.
It's also there when no music is playing, but then I have to turn it up to around 0 before it can be heard.
It's both here when using Audyssey and in direct mode.
Hiss as in a badly tuned in radio/TV or electrical noise like a buzzing/whine?
Like noise. Like static noise. If this makes sense?
Not a whine as in coil whine frame PSU and such.
zvipster is offline  
post #4533 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Member
 
quick2k3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.Archer View Post
The hum/noise issue has been reported all over this thread. Some have reported here that they have no noise but other sources(avforums) report the noise develops over time. So far Denon has not acknowledged the issue publicly but will concede on a individual basis. Seems unprincipled to me. Onkyo acted similarly a few years back but public clamor finally forced them to acknowledge their issue and extend warranties until December 2018. I am surprised and disappointed that dealers(especially those who continually monitor this thread) have not supported their customers in this matter by interceding with Denon.
My particular 6300H is still unboxed which is why I asked what serial numbers are affected. Since Denon is aware of the required fix, I hope the issue has been rectified in newer production.
I was one of the first people in this forum to bring this issue up with my 6300H. Both my original and replacement AVRs had the issue.

I don't think it's fair to call out the dealers. I didn't purchase my 6300 from JD but if I remember correctly, he called Denon to report on the issue and I think he got it kicked up beyond the first layer of support after a couple of us started posting about the hum/noise. Last I heard, he was waiting on word from Denon. (Admittedly, I lost track of the thread because I moved on from the 6300H to the Marantz 7011.)

Lets keep the focus of this issue where it belongs--with Denon.

As for the serial numbers affected, all I can offer is I had two different build months and both of my units had the same issue.
quick2k3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4534 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Member
 
D.R.Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ancaster,Ontario and Fort Myers,FL
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick2k3 View Post
I was one of the first people in this forum to bring this issue up with my 6300H. Both my original and replacement AVRs had the issue.

I don't think it's fair to call out the dealers. I didn't purchase my 6300 from JD but if I remember correctly, he called Denon to report on the issue and I think he got it kicked up beyond the first layer of support after a couple of us started posting about the hum/noise. Last I heard, he was waiting on word from Denon. (Admittedly, I lost track of the thread because I moved on from the 6300H to the Marantz 7011.)

Lets keep the focus of this issue where it belongs--with Denon.

As for the serial numbers affected, all I can offer is I had two different build months and both of my units had the same issue.


You are right and I apologise to anyone who might have taken this personally, but it is business. If I were a dealer, I'd be pretty p.o.'d with the factory if I had to get my updates from offshore sources, for example the forthcoming DolbyVision firmware update and now this hardware fix. It's pretty sad when a dealer or registered customer only gets a tech bulletin/recall when a product exhibits a history of exploding and starting fires. Speaking of fires, we should all try to set one under Denon

Vizio P75, Denon AVR-X6300H, OPPO 203, Paradigm Studio Atmos setup, dual subs
Sony 65X900F, Denon X940H, Paradigm 5.1.2 setup with single sub
D.R.Archer is offline  
post #4535 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
ingramba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas, East of the Pecos!
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Denon X3300 Fry's

I was checking local Dallas Fry's last night and no stock. I checked again around 12 midnight and viola all local Fry's showing X3300 in stock. Needless to say I reserved one and picked it up this morning for $499.00 + tax! While I was there this morning the other 3 were pulled for hold. I saw 4 on the shelf when I got there at 9:30 this morning.

Sales guy said they are coming in almost daily at around 4 at a time and website around midnite updates to show stock.

Whats ironic is I purchased the X2300 at BestBuy two nites ago for $749.99 and thought I got a great deal!

Good Luck to all hunting the elusive X3300 down, shes worth it!
Ted99 likes this.

Last edited by ingramba; 02-21-2017 at 01:01 PM.
ingramba is offline  
post #4536 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
I hope you get this figured out! I too have a 45es and just ordered a 4300h, if I have any problems your solution might help me. Ill be paying attention.

What converters are you looking at? I have heard of the "HDFury linker" for HDCP 2.2 issues, but they run about $200
Didn't know if you were still following this but the HDCP converter (Blackbird 2.2 to 1.4) worked just fine. I also set my Roku unit to not turn off and to only go to sleep. Between the two my problem was fixed. Hope you get yours.
Duece7 is offline  
post #4537 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
layzzzee8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
All quick select buttons act the same. Everything on the Audyssey setting screen reverts to off when I push quick select.
That is indeed strange. A "soft reset" (as described a few posts back) would be your first troubleshooting step, followed by a microprocessor reset (refer to my post 4 item 3 on the SAVE/LOAD procedure so as not to have to run Audyssey again).
Well, I tried a soft reset. Problem persisted. Saved my config. Ran the microprocessor reset. Attempted to load my config. The browser says load completed but the AVR still displays loading. I let it sit for another 5 minutes for a total of 15 minutes and reset the AVR only to find my settings didn't load. Now I have to wait until I find some quiet time when my 2 year old is out of the house to run the set up again. So frustrating. Any no way of knowing if the reset worked until I can use Audyssey. Grrr!
layzzzee8 is offline  
post #4538 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post
ok a few things. so i ordered online for store pick up , frys said they will have it at the cashier for me for pickup but i couldnt make it today will they still hold it for me tomorrow or cancel my order and restock it?

number 2 my denon 4300 came in for my main room ran audyssesy it keeps telling me i have polarity issues with my front speakers. is it because there is something in front not real close? it says sometimes room acoustics could sometimes make it trip an error. i just skipped it and it sounds fine just thought it was weird.

third it also sets my front speakers to large and my subwoofers to 120. ive always changed them to small and crossover the subs at 80. am i missing something here should i leave it at 120? also is it better to do all 8 poisitions on auddyssy or just the 3 what added benefit wil i get out of it?

thanks for your time
My 6300H flagged me also for a polarity issue awhile back while running Audyssey. Come to find out I was using an incorrect sub LFE RCA cord.
timc1475 is offline  
post #4539 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick2k3 View Post
I was one of the first people in this forum to bring this issue up with my 6300H. Both my original and replacement AVRs had the issue.

I don't think it's fair to call out the dealers. I didn't purchase my 6300 from JD but if I remember correctly, he called Denon to report on the issue and I think he got it kicked up beyond the first layer of support after a couple of us started posting about the hum/noise. Last I heard, he was waiting on word from Denon. (Admittedly, I lost track of the thread because I moved on from the 6300H to the Marantz 7011.)

Lets keep the focus of this issue where it belongs--with Denon.

As for the serial numbers affected, all I can offer is I had two different build months and both of my units had the same issue.
This is exactly why I did not want to ship my 6300H unit off as I aforementioned in my prior few posts. The hum issue could still persist and / or be worse. Not to say I won't let them swap the board in question out at some point that they wanted to do, but I am leaning towards upgrading to the December flagship they offered me.

I would assume I would pay any difference in cost, although not 100% sure how their upgrade process works since I've never been though it before.
timc1475 is offline  
post #4540 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey all,
Tried searching on here and emailed Denon about it. Awaiting response. My set up is x3300 to LG 65e6p. I am test driving both the oppo 203 and panny ub900 4k players. No issues with disc playback, but when on the main player menu with both players or running Netflix through the panny I get a flashing white digital static that takes up the bottom of the screen. Any advice or can you refer me to an earlier post? Thank you in advance!
ingramba likes this.
foahfoahfoah is offline  
post #4541 of 17735 Old 02-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by balpers View Post
Nope. I meant Barney Frank.

Got email from Crutchfield (Fast response). Was told to do a system reset and turn off a lot of the processing. Was also told to try running without Audyssey. Seems to have helped, although although I am running with Audyssey bsck on. I'll see if I can live with it for a few weeks.
Did you ever get a resolution to your issue? I have an x4200w with what seems to be a similar issue, Center channel is distorted when using Audyssey calibration and dynamic volume, most noticeable on voices or dialog. Issue goes completely away with Audyssey disabled, issue almost completely goes away when decoding Dolby content with dts neural x. I have to use dynamic volume a lot due to night listing and having a kid.

Really strange to say the least, I've sent it away twice, they have replaced the processor boards both times and still have the issue, I'm trying to get a replacement now, not sure if it will be a 4200 or 4300, but if you are having a similar issue I might just have the worst luck if I get a 4300 with the same issue.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
Mrjmc99 is offline  
post #4542 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,893
Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23644 Post(s)
Liked: 13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by foahfoahfoah View Post
Hey all,
Tried searching on here and emailed Denon about it. Awaiting response. My set up is x3300 to LG 65e6p. I am test driving both the oppo 203 and panny ub900 4k players. No issues with disc playback, but when on the main player menu with both players or running Netflix through the panny I get a flashing white digital static that takes up the bottom of the screen. Any advice or can you refer me to an earlier post? Thank you in advance!
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread, to include a Troubleshooting section in post 3. Item 11.w specifically discusses the "white sparkles" issue.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4543 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 AM
Member
 
WildBoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glacier Park
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
X6300H and headphones

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a headphones just for music (not for movies) with my Denon AVR-X6300H.

I'll probably take the choice of the BeyerDynamic DT880 EDITION headphones with 250 ohms impedance.

How good is the headphones amplifier of the X6300H? I don't have headphones currently so I'm unable to test.


Regards
WildBoar is offline  
post #4544 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,893
Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23644 Post(s)
Liked: 13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
Hi,

I'm planning on buying a headphones just for music (not for movies) with my Denon AVR-X6300H.

I'll probably take the choice of the BeyerDynamic DT880 EDITION headphones with 250 ohms impedance.

How good is the headphones amplifier of the X6300H? I don't have headphones currently so I'm unable to test.


Regards
Should work just fine.
WildBoar likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4545 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by foahfoahfoah View Post
Hey all,
Tried searching on here and emailed Denon about it. Awaiting response. My set up is x3300 to LG 65e6p. I am test driving both the oppo 203 and panny ub900 4k players. No issues with disc playback, but when on the main player menu with both players or running Netflix through the panny I get a flashing white digital static that takes up the bottom of the screen. Any advice or can you refer me to an earlier post? Thank you in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread, to include a Troubleshooting section in post 3. Item 11.w specifically discusses the "white sparkles" issue.
As JD's referenced guidance suggests, your issue is probably related to your cables. When conveying a UHD video signal you'll want to make sure to use certified premium high-speed HDMI cables, such as the one that came with your Oppo UDP-203 or these ones from Monoprice.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #4546 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 AM
Member
 
rn865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[/quote]

Using analog audio cables instead of optical will resolve your issue.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Solved using toslink splitter/amplifier to run second optical input assigned to aux and select that for zone 2. Seems like this shouldn't be necessary, i.e. if you have a source with hdmi video and optical audio it should play the audio in zone 2. Sounds like a bug or a design limitation.
rn865 is offline  
post #4547 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,893
Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23644 Post(s)
Liked: 13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn865 View Post

Thanks. Solved using toslink splitter/amplifier to run second optical input assigned to aux and select that for zone 2. Seems like this shouldn't be necessary, i.e. if you have a source with hdmi video and optical audio it should play the audio in zone 2. Sounds like a bug or a design limitation.
As long as the source is passing PCM 2.0 over optical, you're good to go, but if DD/DTS 5.1 is passed, then no go. Only mid/upper level models of all major brand AVRs can pass digital audio to Zone 2.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4548 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 07:04 AM
Member
 
rn865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
As long as the source is passing PCM 2.0 over optical, you're good to go, but if DD/DTS 5.1 is passed, then no go. Only mid/upper level models of all major brand AVRs can pass digital audio to Zone 2.
Yes, sorry, I messed up the quotes and lost the context trying to post from my tablet.

I have the X3300. Supports digital audio for zone 2. Works fine for HDMI and optical inputs.

The problem was that when I have a source with HDMI and OPT inputs assigned (to play HDMI video and OPT audio), it doesn't pass the OPT audio to zone 2. If I unassign the HDMI input it plays the OPT audio in zone 2. The OPT audio source is all 2 channel PCM.

So the workaround was to get a toslink splitter/amplifier and use both OPT inputs and select the second one for zone 2. This works. I get HDMI video and OPT audio in the main zone and the same OPT audio in zone 2.

Seems like a source with HDMI and OPT (digital) input assignments should pass the OPT audio to zone 2. In the zone 2 settings I have PCM audio selected (not HDMI passthru). That's what I was referring to as a bug or a design limitation.

Denon wasn't much help. They suggested trying a different source. I may do that to play along if I get bored. I'm guessing the end result will be "sorry, you can't do that" even though they advertise the X3300 as capable of playing digital sources on zone 2.

No big deal now that I have a workaround, and as long as I never need the second OPT port for something else.
rn865 is offline  
post #4549 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,893
Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23644 Post(s)
Liked: 13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn865 View Post
Yes, sorry, I messed up the quotes and lost the context trying to post from my tablet.

I have the X3300. Supports digital audio for zone 2. Works fine for HDMI and optical inputs.

The problem was that when I have a source with HDMI and OPT inputs assigned (to play HDMI video and OPT audio), it doesn't pass the OPT audio to zone 2. If I unassign the HDMI input it plays the OPT audio in zone 2. The OPT audio source is all 2 channel PCM.

So the workaround was to get a toslink splitter/amplifier and use both OPT inputs and select the second one for zone 2. This works. I get HDMI video and OPT audio in the main zone and the same OPT audio in zone 2.

Seems like a source with HDMI and OPT (digital) input assignments should pass the OPT audio to zone 2. In the zone 2 settings I have PCM audio selected (not HDMI passthru). That's what I was referring to as a bug or a design limitation.

Denon wasn't much help. They suggested trying a different source. I may do that to play along if I get bored. I'm guessing the end result will be "sorry, you can't do that" even though they advertise the X3300 as capable of playing digital sources on zone 2.

No big deal now that I have a workaround, and as long as I never need the second OPT port for something else.
Ah .. misunderstood. Agreed, it should pass if PCM 2.0, but apparently does not when INPUT SELECT is used. Either your work around or connecting an analog cable as I suggested are your best options.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 02-22-2017 at 09:09 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4550 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,330
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Hi, I have a 2015 7702II but am trying to sort out this banding issue since I am just really getting into UHD with HDR.

Do I understand correctly that the key is 422 output, 10 and 12 bit does not matter? Meaning 444 10 and 444 12 are OK, just 422 10 and 422 12 that are the issue? I currently have the Panny 900 that sends out 422 12 bit.

TIA

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #4551 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,893
Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23644 Post(s)
Liked: 13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Hi, I have a 2015 7702II but am trying to sort out this banding issue since I am just really getting into UHD with HDR.

Do I understand correctly that the key is 422 output, 10 and 12 bit does not matter? Meaning 444 10 and 444 12 are OK, just 422 10 and 422 12 that are the issue? I currently have the Panny 900 that sends out 422 12 bit.

TIA
Oops! Wrong thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4552 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
balpers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjmc99 View Post
Did you ever get a resolution to your issue? I have an x4200w with what seems to be a similar issue, Center channel is distorted when using Audyssey calibration and dynamic volume, most noticeable on voices or dialog. Issue goes completely away with Audyssey disabled, issue almost completely goes away when decoding Dolby content with dts neural x. I have to use dynamic volume a lot due to night listing and having a kid.

Really strange to say the least, I've sent it away twice, they have replaced the processor boards both times and still have the issue, I'm trying to get a replacement now, not sure if it will be a 4200 or 4300, but if you are having a similar issue I might just have the worst luck if I get a 4300 with the same issue.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
I got a very rapid response from Crutchfield. (I'm impressed and I appreciate the speed of response.) This is the response:

-------

I'm sorry that you're having problems with the Denon receiver. It sounds like most of the problems you're having can be traced back to the Audyssey setup process. At this point, I'd recommend resetting the receiver, and NOT running the Audyssey setup and trying it for awhile to get an idea of what the "default" sound is like. Then if you'd like, you can re-run the Audyssey and turn off the features that are causing you problems: primarily Dynamic Volume. To reset the receiver, turn it off and press and hold the Tuner Preset Ch - and + buttons on the front panel (NOT the remote), then press and release the power button (again, on the front panel not the remote), continue holding those two buttons until the display says "Initialized".



In regards to the rear speakers, when listening to 5.1 content the rear speakers will only play when there is something that is supposed to play out of them. If you want them to play more consistently and at a higher level, try the multi-channel stereo sound field. That will cause them to play the same as the front speakers. Personally, I prefer multi-channel stereo when watching anything on TV other than perhaps a movie or show on a premium channel that is actually broadcast in Dolby Digital.

------

I tried all the Crutchfield suggestion. My issues have been partially resolved. The biggest single improvement was produced by the system reset. It changed my status from "unlistenable" to "adequate." (Sorry for the technical talk.) The sound is better with Audyssey calibration than without it. Surround speakers are still distorted.

I have a new symptom. Frequently, but unpredictably, the system volume will drop dramatically. Then, without any intervention by me, over a period of 10-20 seconds, volume will climb back to the previous listening level.

This is not the kind of performance I expect from a brand new unit. Wife is getting on my case to send it back. She may be right.


Please post if you have any luck with your unit.

Burt

The Consultant's Creed:
I can do it right.
I can do it cheap.
I can do it fast.
You get to choose any two.
balpers is offline  
post #4553 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,330
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No, posting here as well because from what I can find it is a 2015 AND 2016 problem, so trying to get some recommendations.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #4554 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Spidacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I have a 2016 X4300H and am starting to read about banding issues from passing 4K (Oppo 203 for me) through some/all? of Denon newest receiver(s). There are tons of posts everyday in that forum so it's hard to keep up with or search properly, but heard about some potential issues already reported to Denon about banding. I remember The Martian in particular had a lot of banding to me, but have also made some changes (new firmware for the Oppo, changing out to premium certified cables...) and haven't watched it since. Are there any "known" banding issues that Denon is working on, and would it be better to talk about them here, or report them directly to Denon? I'm certainly no expert when it comes to video artifacts, so I tend to defer to those more knowledgeable.
Spidacat is offline  
post #4555 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Member
 
clouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chromecast Ultra support?

I recently purchased a X1300 receiver, and was using it with a chromecast without issue. I upgraded to a Chromecast Ultra for 4k viewing, and have been having a lot of problems when it is connected to the receiver. 4K youtube videos are playing in only HD, but play in 4K fine when bypassing the receiver. I found a way to force 4k content with Netflix and plex, and in both cases it forced the receiver to do a hard shutdown! Power would just cut, and the red light would blink on and off. Do I have a bad receiver?
clouser is offline  
post #4556 of 17735 Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by foahfoahfoah View Post
Hey all,
Tried searching on here and emailed Denon about it. Awaiting response. My set up is x3300 to LG 65e6p. I am test driving both the oppo 203 and panny ub900 4k players. No issues with disc playback, but when on the main player menu with both players or running Netflix through the panny I get a flashing white digital static that takes up the bottom of the screen. Any advice or can you refer me to an earlier post? Thank you in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread, to include a Troubleshooting section in post 3. Item 11.w specifically discusses the "white sparkles" issue.
As JD's referenced guidance suggests, your issue is probably related to your cables. When conveying a UHD video signal you'll want to make sure to use certified premium high-speed HDMI cables, such as the one that came with your Oppo UDP-203 or these ones from Monoprice.
Thank you for the reference to the troubleshooting faq here! Unfortunately, turning off deep color on player did not work. Denon got back to me and suggested turning off i/p upscaler, which I already have as off.

I am using the hdmi cord provided by oppo that came from the 203. If cord is faulty, why would I have no problems with the white flashing static on the disc main menu or in playback of the disc? It's only on the player main menu or when trying to Netflix through the Panny. Any othet advice? Thank you again! You folks are awesome!
foahfoahfoah is offline  
post #4557 of 17735 Old 02-23-2017, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,893
Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23644 Post(s)
Liked: 13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by foahfoahfoah View Post
Thank you for the reference to the troubleshooting faq here! Unfortunately, turning off deep color on player did not work. Denon got back to me and suggested turning off i/p upscaler, which I already have as off.

I am using the hdmi cord provided by oppo that came from the 203. If cord is faulty, why would I have no problems with the white flashing static on the disc main menu or in playback of the disc? It's only on the player main menu or when trying to Netflix through the Panny. Any othet advice? Thank you again! You folks are awesome!
In addition to setting "Deep Color Output" on the BDPs to OFF, also ensure that on the LG TV you set “HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color” to ON.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4558 of 17735 Old 02-23-2017, 04:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone know if the X7200WA have the same problem with 4:4:2 10-bit (banding) as the X3300W and X4300H has?
abrasive01 is offline  
post #4559 of 17735 Old 02-23-2017, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,893
Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23644 Post(s)
Liked: 13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasive01 View Post
Does anyone know if the X7200WA have the same problem with 4:4:2 10-bit (banding) as the X3300W and X4300H has?
Not that I am aware of but best to ask in the X7200WA Owner's thread as it's not covered in this thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...r-details.html
abrasive01 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4560 of 17735 Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 AM
Newbie
 
Necidemos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Why can a Fry's not be close to me! I need this deal.
Necidemos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off