The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281390Likes

post #4891 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbgator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn865 View Post
Check the input source level on your AVR. Increase it for your movie source.
Thanks for the advice. But would I risk any clipping by doing that?
Good question. Don't know. I have one adjusted to +9 dB and it doesn't seem to cause any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
Whoo hoo...The AVR-X3300W is on sale (again) at Amazon!!!
Thanks for posting this! I ordered my X3300W from Crutchfield on Thursday for $999.99. Still haven't received it, just emailed them regarding dropping my price by $200. Sweet...
Squirrel! likes this.
post #4893 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 785 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23448 Post(s)
Liked: 12896
Quote:
Hey guys- So i went through the set-up process and Audyssey calibration on the Denon s720 receiver and have noticed that when I playback movies I have to get to near 0db reference level for decent loudness. Whereas, if I play music I can get plenty loud at -15db.

For example, streaming Captain America Civil War on Netflix, I have to raise to about 0db to get decent level sound (Dolby Digital). Whereas, if I stream music on Spotify I get incredible sound between -15 and -10db (stereo).

Is this normal for movies / TV to require to get to around reference level to get the same level of loudness while music can be played about 10db to 15db below it for the same level? Or is there a setting that I'm missing out on?

I have a 3.1 setup with two Polk S-15 bookshelf speakers, one S-35 center channel speaker, and a sub.

Yup. Different sources can have different volume levels. The "Source Level" setting can be used to normalize the volume such that each source is at the same level for a given master volume setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4894 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpr View Post
Hello, I'm seriously looking at the X3300W and I have a small question before I jump in.

I would have a spare pair of Paradigm ADP-190 dipole speakers than my room setup would only allow me to only install as front height left and right . The rest of my setup is a traditional 5.1 with side dipole surrounds (I have no space on the back wall, ceiling or for stands). I am sitting at 10 feet from the screen.

My question is:

Would these be dipole speakers be "usefull" for an Atmos setup as FHL and FHR?

Thanks for your time.
Not really no, rather direct firing would be more ideal.
post #4895 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I completed hooking up my X4300H today, but have not calibrated the speakers yet. I was pleased by the new setup process (previously had the 2809CI). In just a couple of minutes I had verified all my speakers were correctly connected. I liked that it didn't play white noise to test the connections but a musical chime or sorts.

I've been watching TV on my LG 65UH8500 LCD and I'd sear the picture is a little darker. Does this receiver process the video?
post #4896 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post
I completed hooking up my X4300H today, but have not calibrated the speakers yet. I was pleased by the new setup process (previously had the 2809CI). In just a couple of minutes I had verified all my speakers were correctly connected. I liked that it didn't play white noise to test the connections but a musical chime or sorts.

I've been watching TV on my LG 65UH8500 LCD and I'd sear the picture is a little darker. Does this receiver process the video?
Well crap, I see that it does process the video. My LG has processing options. How do the receiver and TV processing options effect each other?
post #4897 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Is I/P scaler shut off?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #4898 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
hi guys......im thinking of purchasing the x6300h...not so sure now...as reading this forums there seems to be issues with the above 6300 receiver regarding noise...hissing from speakers.........(wonder is anyone using the same speakers i have which i have listed below....and are they working fine with the 6300?.....do you guys think this it is a good idea to buy now or should i hold back and wait for the new denon avr models next year which will probably have 2.1 hdmi built in as well

the reason i want to buy this particular avr is because of the 11 built in channels it can do.........i have my theatre room wired for an11.2 setup....as i want to do a dolby atmos 7.1.4 setup.......i am currently using just a 7.1 setup with a yamaha 7.1 receiver....my set up is below.....

if i do decide to go ahead and purchase the 6300.......what speakers (in ceiling) would you guys recommend for dolby atmos that would work well with my tannoys speakers i currently have.....any suggestions would be great thanks

this is my equipment i am using

avr. = yamaha rxv673
http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v673/review

speakers = tannoy hts 201 package which includes 2 tower speakers, 3 satellite speakers and a sub woofer........(i have also purchased 2 extra satellite speakers...the exact same ones as in package for a 7.1 setup
https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...eaker-package/
post #4899 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Is I/P scaler shut off?
Yes.
post #4900 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
Hey Guys. Quick question for any 2016 x300H owners. I notice on the new (2016)Denon app that Tidal is included as one of the streaming options. Is Tidal software built into the AVR itself like Spotify and Pandora has been in other Denon Receivers or does it just stream wirelessly from the App itself. Also, if it is built in, how would you rate the quality of the stream? Is it the HiFi version of Tidal at full rez?

Being a Tidal subscriber, this is of interest to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
None of the streaming services are built in to the X4300H and X6300H, rather they must be streamed using the HEOS app.
Hi cwglideman, I came at this the opposite way to you. I had never subscribed to any streaming music services. Purchased the 6300 as well as a HEOS 7 late January. Using the HEOS app on my phone I'm streaming music from my phone, form my NAS, form the USB port on the AVR. This is a great way to play music.

Having said that, I thought I'd give the streaming apps a go; 30 day free trail I can't really go wrong can I. Signed up for TIDAL as it plays HiRez audio and I am loving it. TIDAL on my AVR (controlled either by Samsung Galaxy S7 or Pioneer XDP-100). TIDAL on my HEOS 7 HS2 speaker. TIDAL on my PC through my Oppo HA1!!! I may never buy music again

Back to your point, no the software isn't built in to the AVR, you install the HEOS app on your phone (you can download it and trial it in demo mode). This gives you direct access to, inert alia, music on your phone, music on your network, music on storage attached to your HEOS or AVR and a range of streaming services (varies by location). I am signed up for the HiRez audio with TIDAL and it sounds great. If you want to play the new masters MQA HiRez tracks you'll need to attach your PC to the AVR via HDMI.

In short, loving the streaming and it sounds great on the AVR. Now we just need Denon to add MQA functionality :-)
post #4901 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Works fine on my x3300.
Quote:
Mine is hooked up to HDMI 6 which is assigned to AUX2. I have the original Chromecast, not the Ultra, if that makes any difference.
Nope...not working via HDMI6/AUX2. Can you please give me specifics on how you connected Chromecast to your X3300. Did you simply plug into AUX2, select AUX2 as the input and cast away? My initial install on my iPad and iPhone required me to install Google Home. Upon powering up the Chromecast device 1st time it generated a wireless 'hot spot' which I had to connect to from my iPxxx and once connected a code was generated and displayed on my iPxxx which enabled Chromecast once I entered the code. I completed all that with the Chromecast connected to HDMI7 on my X6300 and as I've said...casting didn't work. I then unplugged the Chromecast unit from my X6300, plugged into TV directly and casting was enabled.

Seems something other than treating the Chromecast Ultra as a 'Plug and Play' device is needed. Can you please give me step-by-step how you were successful with your connection to the X3300?

Thanks in advance!
post #4902 of 17641 Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 2077
Quote:
Originally Posted by kematt View Post
Seems something other than treating the Chromecast Ultra as a 'Plug and Play' device is needed. Can you please give me step-by-step how you were successful with your connection to the X3300?

The regular Chromecast works fine. The Ultra has some issues.
post #4903 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Nope...not working via HDMI6/AUX2. Can you please give me specifics on how you connected Chromecast to your X3300. Did you simply plug into AUX2, select AUX2 as the input and cast away? My initial install on my iPad and iPhone required me to install Google Home. Upon powering up the Chromecast device 1st time it generated a wireless 'hot spot' which I had to connect to from my iPxxx and once connected a code was generated and displayed on my iPxxx which enabled Chromecast once I entered the code. I completed all that with the Chromecast connected to HDMI7 on my X6300 and as I've said...casting didn't work. I then unplugged the Chromecast unit from my X6300, plugged into TV directly and casting was enabled.

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Yep...the CCU has some issues. @rn865 ...I would like to hear from you the steps you went thru hooking up your Chromecast to the X3300. Thanks

Last edited by kematt; 03-13-2017 at 03:04 AM.
post #4904 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Works fine on my x3300.
Quote:
Mine is hooked up to HDMI 6 which is assigned to AUX2. I have the original Chromecast, not the Ultra, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!
As I recall, the setup was similar, but it's been a while. I used the Android app on a tablet, so that's one difference. I don't recall having to connect to a temporary hotspot. It just found the device, and proceded from there similar to what you describe.

Looking at the setup instructions, for Ultra and iOS it mentions using a bluetooth connection as an alternate for setup. Maybe you could try that?

https://support.google.com/chromecas..._topic=7215248
post #4905 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Works fine on my x3300.
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
As I recall, the setup was similar, but it's been a while. I used the Android app on a tablet, so that's one difference. I don't recall having to connect to a temporary hotspot. It just found the device, and proceded from there similar to what you describe.

Looking at the setup instructions, for Ultra and iOS it mentions using a bluetooth connection as an alternate for setup. Maybe you could try that?

https://support.google.com/chromecas..._topic=7215248
Thinking on it some more, it doesn't sound like you have a problem with setup. If you can set it up on the TV you should be able to plug it in to the receiver and it should work with the same settings.

I notice the Ultra uses 5g only? Mine uses 2.4g and is about 2 feet away from the wifi router behind the equipment cabinet.

Wondering how far away your setup is from your wifi router/access point? Also, 5g is not as good at penetrating walls and other objects. Maybe the AVR itself is shielding it, and using it on the tv gets it more out in the open where it can better see the wifi signal?

If that's the problem, maybe you could use a short HDMI extender cable of some sort to get the CCU positioned better? Or somehow boost your wifi signal by repositioning the router or putting in a wifi repeater/range extender.

Maybe as a test, you could plug it in to the front HDMI port?
post #4906 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I have the Ultra and the 6300. I don't remember the HDMI port number, but we have ours plugged into the Media Player one. We also had the Series 2 plugged in there as well.

For us it was as simple as plugging it in, powering it up, selecting that port and following the on screen steps to connect it to the wifi in the house and away we went.

I have since switched it to be hardwired. Didn't seem to make much difference.

There is a CCU thread, which I've put below. Just beware the children that had a back and forth for a while on there...

Just one thought though, would plugging it into an audio only port (CD) kind of preclude it being able to pass visuals as well? Just wondering.

Seggers

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...-s-thread.html

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #4907 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Greetings all, could someone confirm the procedure to access the ISF calibration menu on the Denon X7200W/WA. I've searched the thread here to see to confirm the information. I'm going to be working on an X7200WA and doing some source-by-source adjustments using CalMan.

The procedure I was given is the following and want to confirm that it's accurate:
To access ISF Day/Night custom settings, press/hold the INFO button for 5 seconds with the Setup—> Video—>Picture Adjust —> ON. You should then see the ISF Day setting displayed. The ISF Day settings should are followed by the ISF Night settings.

Thanks a million!

post #4908 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimala View Post
Thanks for posting this! I ordered my X3300W from Crutchfield on Thursday for $999.99. Still haven't received it, just emailed them regarding dropping my price by $200. Sweet...
Good luck with your purchase. I should have bought mine from Crutchfield or Best Buy, bought mine last week at Amazon and they no longer offer refunds on price drops - lesson learned, no more expensive purchases from Amazon.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #4909 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpr View Post
Hello, I'm seriously looking at the X3300W and I have a small question before I jump in.

I would have a spare pair of Paradigm ADP-190 dipole speakers than my room setup would only allow me to only install as front height left and right . The rest of my setup is a traditional 5.1 with side dipole surrounds (I have no space on the back wall, ceiling or for stands). I am sitting at 10 feet from the screen.

My question is:

Would these be dipole speakers be "usefull" for an Atmos setup as FHL and FHR?

Thanks for your time.
They could be used as FHL or FHR Atmos speakers but in a 5.1.2 setup it is generally preferable to have in ceiling or upward firing Atmos modules (FDL/FDR) rather than front height speakers. Installing 2 ceiling speakers would be ideal for a 5.1.2 but the easiest thing would be to get some upward firing speakers like the Pioneer SP-T22A-LR or Elac A4 that you can just put on top of your front left and right speakers.
post #4910 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-man_man View Post
Good luck with your purchase. I should have bought mine from Crutchfield or Best Buy, bought mine last week at Amazon and they no longer offer refunds on price drops - lesson learned, no more expensive purchases from Amazon.
If you are within 30 days you could simply return it to Amazon and repurchase it at the new price. Up to you if its worth the hassle.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #4911 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Greetings all, could someone confirm the procedure to access the ISF calibration menu on the Denon X7200W/WA. I've searched the thread here to see to confirm the information. I'm going to be working on an X7200WA and doing some source-by-source adjustments using CalMan.

The procedure I was given is the following and want to confirm that it's accurate:
To access ISF Day/Night custom settings, press/hold the INFO button for 5 seconds with the Setup—> Video—>Picture Adjust —> ON. You should then see the ISF Day setting displayed. The ISF Day settings should are followed by the ISF Night settings.

Thanks a million!
Yes, that is correct as copied from my post.
post #4912 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
If you are within 30 days you could simply return it to Amazon and repurchase it at the new price. Up to you if its worth the hassle.
Correct, I did just that with 4 NHT Atmos Mini modules when I discovered right after ordering from Amazon that NHT (direct) had them on sale for nearly 30% less. I contacted Amazon CS and gave them the chance to price match, but the person I spoke to couldn't offer any consideration at all so I initiated a return. Surprisingly Amazon didn't wait to receive the package back, they issued the return credit as soon as the tracking info showed that UPS had the package in their possession.
post #4913 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Yes, that is correct as copied from my post.
Ha that's fantastic. Then I guess it comes from an authoritative source! Thanks a ton.

post #4914 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 300
X3300 Zone 2 PCM

From Post #1 in this thread:

Quote:
HDMI/digital PCM 2.0 audio to Zone 2 speaker posts/pre-outs
Unfortunately my boss (who does the actual installations) insists that no matter what combination of X3300 receiver and Roku audio settings he tries, he can get no Roku audio from the Zone 2 preamp outputs. Can you confirm that he should be able to do this? Can you summarize the settings he will need to make?

Many thanks!

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #4915 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Official Denon iOS AVR Remote App - Its Garbage...Please Help

Does anyone have any luck with the Denon iOS app? It's very hit-or-miss...more miss than anything else. I've deleted and reinstalled it multiple times...used static IPs and manually input them into the app...still tells me no receivers found. Then a day or two later, it decides to work...then again later in the day, it can't find the receiver. It has a mind of its own and almost always doesn't work when I need it to. I'm beginning to think it's not the app but my Denon X3300.

Any clue how to get the app and receiver to work together consistently?
post #4916 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenkod View Post
Official Denon iOS AVR Remote App - Its Garbage...Please Help

Does anyone have any luck with the Denon iOS app? It's very hit-or-miss...more miss than anything else. I've deleted and reinstalled it multiple times...used static IPs and manually input them into the app...still tells me no receivers found. Then a day or two later, it decides to work...then again later in the day, it can't find the receiver. It has a mind of its own and almost always doesn't work when I need it to. I'm beginning to think it's not the app but my Denon X3300.

Any clue how to get the app and receiver to work together consistently?
If you have multiple networks or bandwidths being used, ensure both the app and AVR are on the same network/bandwidth.
post #4917 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

To use the streaming apps do I have to have the HEOS module?
post #4918 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
From Post #1 in this thread:

Unfortunately my boss (who does the actual installations) insists that no matter what combination of X3300 receiver and Roku audio settings he tries, he can get no Roku audio from the Zone 2 preamp outputs. Can you confirm that he should be able to do this? Can you summarize the settings he will need to make?

Many thanks!
The source audio must be PCM 2.0 and the Zone 2 Setup - HDMI Audio must be set to "PCM" (p. 220 Owner's manual).
post #4919 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post
To use the streaming apps do I have to have the HEOS module?
To stream to the AVR using the HEOS app, yes, otherwise, you can also stream HEOS app audio directly to the HEOS speakers as well.
post #4920 of 17641 Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Newbie here. Does anyone know how well the Denon AVR-s720w receiver will drive two Polk S-15 bookshelf speakers and one Polk S-35 center channel speaker?

It seems that the receiver is rated for 75W per channel at 8ohms.

The two s-15 speakers are 8ohms and a recommended amplifier rating of 20-100wpc.

The s-35 center channel speaker is also 8ohms and a recommended amplifier rating of 20-150wpc.

I get confused by the large recommended range of those speakers and not sure if the 75wpc of the denon will work efficiently on them.

Any help is appreciated.
You should be fine unless your trying to run them really loud. Really the more important number is the sensitivity. With 1 watt of power at 1 meter you can get 88db of sound which would equate to a garbage disposal or a telephone dial tone. Those are both about 85db not super loud but not quite either. And for what its worth you have to add a LOT of additional watts to get a measurable increase in volume. Like the difference between 1 watt and 100 watts might get you 2 additional DB of perceived volume. I am running a 5.1 on a Denon X2300 and my towers have the same sensitivity and can handle between 90 and 150 and they run just fine and plenty loud enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page