The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 273 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281229Likes

post #8161 of 17255 Old 07-23-2017, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

Thanks for the step by step instructions. I followed them exactly however I saw no change. After the above steps failed, I also attempted turning of Dolby Digital on the Sat box along with "HDMI Control". I saw no improvement from those steps.
As soon as I turn off HDR, the TV restarts and sound from the Sat box comes back.
Firmware is up to date on Denon And Samsung TV
Very frustrating.

Last edited by dangerfish; 07-23-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8162 of 17255 Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking for help with what seems a very simple problem connecting a turntable with a built in preamp (Audio Technica AT-LP60) to an X3300W. The turntable is set to line, not phono, and I plugged the RCA into the CD audio inuput. The issue is that the receiver will not let me select the CD input. I've tried other inputs as well but the same issue. Is there something I have to do to activate the input? I've looked through the receiver settings but don't see anything. The only other connection is a smart TV via ARC.
post #8163 of 17255 Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfish View Post
Hello,

Thanks for the step by step instructions. I followed them exactly however I saw no change. After the above steps failed, I also attempted turning of Dolby Digital on the Sat box along with "HDMI Control". I saw no improvement from those steps.
As soon as I turn off HDR, the TV restarts and sound from the Sat box comes back.
Very frustrating.
This has been mentioned a lot in the Samsung KS8000 owners thread. If I recall correctly the only "fix" was to disable the UHD Color for the input that you have the DirecTV connected to. Since you're running through the Denon, that's not an option for you, so your only option for now is to toggle it as you mentioned.

Just curious, what do you have the TV sound set to under Select Speaker?

For what it's worth, I have a DirecTV Genie connected through my 6300 and do not have this issue.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8164 of 17255 Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Hello,

Very frustrating.

It's funny but when I had directv and an hr24, I had fits with audio with it connected to my old Denon X2000. So much so, I had to swap it with my Yamaha 675. The X2000 did play nice with an HR34.

Anyway, a suggestion would be to run the HR24 through an HDMI switch or splitter, then to the receiver to see if that will stabilize the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8165 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Hello,

Very frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
This has been mentioned a lot in the Samsung KS8000 owners thread. If I recall correctly the only "fix" was to disable the UHD Color for the input that you have the DirecTV connected to. Since you're running through the Denon, that's not an option for you, so your only option for now is to toggle it as you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Anyway, a suggestion would be to run the HR24 through an HDMI switch or splitter, then to the receiver to see if that will stabilize the signal.
Or another option you can use both HDMI and digital output from HR24 to AVR. Connect a coaxial cable from the HR24 to the AVR and set the Input Mode for the CBL/SAT source to "Digital" (or use digital optical cable and assign the OPT input to CBL/SAT and then set the Input Mode for the CBL/SAT source to "Digital").
post #8166 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22582 Post(s)
Liked: 12290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthemoonicp6 View Post
I'm looking for help with what seems a very simple problem connecting a turntable with a built in preamp (Audio Technica AT-LP60) to an X3300W. The turntable is set to line, not phono, and I plugged the RCA into the CD audio inuput. The issue is that the receiver will not let me select the CD input. I've tried other inputs as well but the same issue. Is there something I have to do to activate the input? I've looked through the receiver settings but don't see anything. The only other connection is a smart TV via ARC.
Are you able to select the analog inputs when the turntable is not plugged in to them? Did you perhaps purchase a "used" unit which has the inputs "hidden"? If yes, the first step to do when purchasing an other than new unit is to reset the microprocessor (see post 5 of this thread) to ensure all settings are restored to factory defaults.
Underthemoonicp6 likes this.
post #8167 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Just curious, what do you have the TV sound set to under Select Speaker?

For what it's worth, I have a DirecTV Genie connected through my 6300 and do not have this issue.
I'm looking to upgrade to the new Genie 2 (HS 17) next month and I'll be connecting a Genie Mini to the TV so hopefully that will fix the problem.

If you are asking about Select Speaker in the TV Menu setting, right now, its set to "TV Speakers". IIRC, when I had ARC turned on, one of the options was AV Receiver but that option isn't there now.
post #8168 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Or another option you can use both HDMI and digital output from HR24 to AVR. Connect a coaxial cable from the HR24 to the AVR and set the Input Mode for the CBL/SAT source to "Digital" (or use digital optical cable and assign the OPT input to CBL/SAT and then set the Input Mode for the CBL/SAT source to "Digital").
OK, you are saying that I could run both HDMI and optical or coax audio from the Sat box to the Denon. Doing that gets the audio to the Denon another way which in theory would allow me to leave HDR toggled on at all times. Still annoying because it takes away the simplicity of a single cable solution but oh well.

I may wait till I upgrade my Sat boxes next month (assuming they launch on time) and if that doesn't work, I'll do this work around. I can see how it will work well.
post #8169 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Re: X4300H ?

I'm still not sure what eARC is or how it's different from ARC. I have my DirecTv, Bluray player, and PS4 going into my Pioneer Elite VSX-90 AVR then an HDMI going from the AVR to the ARC on the 4k tv. Everything seems to work fine, looks fine, and sounds fine. What difference will eARC make? Is it worth waiting for or should I get the 4300 if I can get it at a good discount?

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #8170 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Re: X4300H ?

I'm still not sure what eARC is or how it's different from ARC. I have my DirecTv, Bluray player, and PS4 going into my Pioneer Elite VSX-90 AVR then an HDMI going from the AVR to the ARC on the 4k tv. Everything seems to work fine, looks fine, and sounds fine. What difference will eARC make? Is it worth waiting for or should I get the 4300 if I can get it at a good discount?

Scroll down to the eARC section of this S&V article.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...dmi-next-level

For now the primary benefit is that it allows HD audio from TV sources to be passed to AVR. Right now ARC is limited to basic Dolby Digital and DTS or in some cases Dolby Digital Plus (which can carry Atmos metadata) but no lossless HD audio. However you would also need a TV that supported eARC. Streaming sources for HD audio and Atmos are highly limited right now but will probably start growing over the next couple years. This all only applies if you are using your TV as the streaming source rather than a separate media box of some sort.
Madmax67 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2

Last edited by confinoj; 07-24-2017 at 07:00 AM.
post #8171 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by clash1 View Post
I'm looking at picking up a X1300W soon. The features and price drop seem to fit right in my budget since I'm looking to get into 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision soon. Parts of my current system are well over 10 years old (too many kids and not enough money to upgrade over the years). I've currently got a Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro and a really old Carver AV-806X amp. They both still sound great but I'm at a point where I don't have space for two separates and I need some simplicity with some hdmi switching for the family. I'm probably going to sell those two and stick with my current 5.1 speaker setup which are all from the Infinity reference series from 10 or so years ago.

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be disappointed with the sound compared to my old separates. I realize I won't know for sure until I get it home and listen to it. Anyone with any experience with old separates and moving to one of the Denon receivers that could let me know how it went for them?
I don't know the difference in sound quality between an X1300W and an X3300W. I have an X3300W after having had an EAD Theatremaster and a seperate amp for the last 17 years. The Theatremaster was a well regarded high end preamp and one of the best sounding DACs at the time according to most reviewers. I don't feel like I've stepped down in quality by using the X3300W, and now have the option of using lossless which I didn't have before so likely have better sound quality. This is all without using Adudyssey XT32, of course. With it on it improves the bass a lot, so overall I have come away with better sound quality.

If the X1300W and X3300W are comparable in sound with Audyssey off, then I don't expect you to be disappointed with the sound compared to your separates. Although someone else will have to chime in on the 1300>3300 comparison since I haven't heard the 1300.

Quote:
On my TV, HDMI 4 is the ARC port so I initially plugged the new Denon in there. The old one had been using HDMI 1 and that's where I moved it back to when I couldn't get it to work. I did enable HDMI CEC on the Denon and the Samsung (Anynet +).
There were so many funny things going on that I couldn't even begin to diagnosis the problem. I may try again later.

I don't understand the Sat box either. I was initially trying to get the HDR and the ARC all working at the same time so that's probably why it was so hard to trouble shoot. I eventually turned off ARC and HDR and finally got everything playing through the Denon. When everything was working, I went back and turned on HDR (HDMI UDH Color) on HDMI 1 and everything worked except the DirecTV box. The only audio setting I have on the Sat box to adjust is whether or not I want Dolby Digital on and I presume that needs to stay on. Toggling HDR off on the TV and everything works again. Weird.

I'm planning on upgrading my DirecTV box next month so I may wait and see if switching the box out works. I don't have many 4K DVD's so I can just toggle HDR on whenever I want to watch a DVD for now. I don't ever use the TV speakers. I only use my surround setup.
On your Samsumg TV ARC is only available on HDMI4. Any troubleshooting you try will be irrelevant if you are plugged into HDMI1. FWIW, I gave up on using ARC on my Samsung as well since it didn't work most of the time. It's worked once, most of the time it doesn't. I don't even know how to "change" to ARC on my AVR since I just gave up using it.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #8172 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4873 Post(s)
Liked: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I don't even know how to "change" to ARC on my AVR since I just gave up using it.
Press the "TV audio" button on the remote control handset.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #8173 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FWIW, I gave up on using ARC on my Samsung as well since it didn't work most of the time. It's worked once, most of the time it doesn't. I don't even know how to "change" to ARC on my AVR since I just gave up using it.

Interesting, other than the initial forced change to the TV audio source when powered on(I handle that within a matter ro on my remote control), ARC works great for me between my Samsung KS8000 and X3300.

It triggers when its supposed to and when I leave an app, the X3300 is smart enough to return me to the same video feed I was on, before I opened a TV app(returning to the previous video feed was a PITA issue on my old X2000)

post #8174 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Ummm maybe I'm just not searching the first page right but I can't find the current FW versions listed only the change log. Same with the link to Denon's site.
post #8175 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughan View Post
Ok, that's very strange. I've never heard of a TV's HDMI setting causing a source to stop sending audio to an AVR that's placed between the source and the TV. The link between AVR and TV by default doesn't even carry audio when the AVR is on, although now that I think about it, I seem to remember that being configurable. I'm not at home and can't check the manual now, but see if you can find a setting in the AVR's Setup Menu for whether to send audio to the TV while the AVR is on, and if so make sure that's disabled. My only other guess would be that maybe that setting on the TV allows it to use HDCP 2.2 when it otherwise would use an older version and maybe that messes up the handshake because the entire chain has to be verified, but even that seems like a long shot. Hopefully the new box solves things!
Under sound/speaker list setup, the Samsung's allow choice of "receiver" or the "TV speakers". My HDMI goes from DTV receiver (HR44) to Denon X3300 to Samsung JS9500. If I select "receiver" on the JS9500, sound comes from my external speakers. If I choose "TV speakers" it comes from the Samsung organic speakers. Presume the Samsung via HDMI CEC control tells the Denon to either support external sound or to "mute" its' own sound and pass audio via HDMI to the Samsung.
Terminader likes this.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #8176 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Under sound/speaker list setup, the Samsung's allow choice of "receiver" or the "TV speakers". My HDMI goes from DTV receiver (HR44) to Denon X3300 to Samsung JS9500. If I select "receiver" on the JS9500, sound comes from my external speakers. If I choose "TV speakers" it comes from the Samsung organic speakers. Presume the Samsung via HDMI CEC control tells the Denon to either support external sound or to "mute" its' own sound and pass audio via HDMI to the Samsung.
Interesting, I have that option on my own TV, but I assumed it only determined whether audio generated by the TV's built-in apps and maybe audio from other sources directly connected to the TV would be played back on the TV's speakers or passed down to the AVR via ARC. It never occurred to me that it could be used to tell the AVR to stop processing audio from sources that were directly connected to it and instead pass that audio up to the TV. I guess that could be useful in some cases, although given that the Denons support passthrough on standby and even changing the passed-through source while staying on standby, that would seem to be preferable for Denon owners. Anyway, actually looking through my X4300's Setup Menu I can't find the "AVR+TV audio output" option that I had in mind, so I may have been thinking of something else.

Sony 75" Z9D (bye Kuro PDP-5020FD!) | Denon X4300H AVR | Pioneer Elite Atmos 5.1.4 speaker set w/ SVS PC-2000 sub | Oppo UDP-203 | PS3 Slim
post #8177 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4873 Post(s)
Liked: 7168
Quote:
Interesting, I have that option on my own TV, but I assumed it only determined whether audio generated by the TV's built-in apps and maybe audio from other sources directly connected to the TV would be played back on the TV's speakers or passed down to the AVR via ARC. It never occurred to me that it could be used to tell the AVR to stop processing audio from sources that were directly connected to it and instead pass that audio up to the TV.
Yes, just tried it. It works. When you select "TV Speaker" on the TV, the Denon AVR turns off! Then a black screen and another HDMI handshake. Then a few seconds later, the TV's speakers are playing the audio (in this case, from the satellite input of the Denon) which was previously being handled by the Denon.
Terminader likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #8178 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Press the "TV audio" button on the remote control handset.
Good to know! That's what I had assume but since it never works, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do something else. It worked once, all others times I couldn't get sound, so I just gave up and started using my Samsung 4K bluray for everything I would've used the TV for. I finally have a use for that thing lol!

Quote:
Interesting, other than the initial forced change to the TV audio source when powered on(I handle that within a matter ro on my remote control), ARC works great for me between my Samsung KS8000 and X3300.

It triggers when its supposed to and when I leave an app, the X3300 is smart enough to return me to the same video feed I was on, before I opened a TV app(returning to the previous video feed was a PITA issue on my old X2000)
What's the initial forced change to TV audio? I've never had my X3300 "switch" to anything other than the input I selected. That sounds annoying

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #8179 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know! That's what I had assume but since it never works, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do something else. It worked once, all others times I couldn't get sound, so I just gave up and started using my Samsung 4K bluray for everything I would've used the TV for. I finally have a use for that thing lol!

What's the initial forced change to TV audio? I've never had my X3300 "switch" to anything other than the input I selected. That sounds annoying

The initial sync between the X3300 and the Samsung TV is what causes it. It only occurs when you initially power on the TV/receiver. Once they are synced, it doesn't happen again. It common. My Yamaha and previous Denon receivers both do this too.

So I have my remote programmed to send an extra Tivo input change a couple/few seconds after power up.

post #8180 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The initial sync between the X3300 and the Samsung TV is what causes it. It only occurs when you initially power on the TV/receiver. Once they are synced, it doesn't happen again. It common. My Yamaha and previous Denon receivers both do this too.

So I have my remote programmed to send an extra Tivo input change a couple/few seconds after power up.

Or you could simply set the "TV Audio Switching" setting to OFF.
rlb and Terminader like this.
post #8181 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Or you could simply set the "TV Audio Switching" setting to OFF.

Yes but then I would have to manually force the change to TV audio before using a TV app and then manually force it back when done. It's all automatic now.

post #8182 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Are you able to select the analog inputs when the turntable is not plugged in to them? Did you perhaps purchase a "used" unit which has the inputs "hidden"? If yes, the first step to do when purchasing an other than new unit is to reset the microprocessor (see post 5 of this thread) to ensure all settings are restored to factory defaults.
I did purchase a refurbished unit so it seems all other inputs were hidden. The reset worked. Thanks for the help!
post #8183 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthemoonicp6 View Post
I did purchase a refurbished unit so it seems all other inputs were hidden. The reset worked. Thanks for the help!
Yup .... been around the block a few times.
jconjason likes this.
post #8184 of 17255 Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question AVR-X3300W digital and analog audio outputs?

I am upgrading from my ancient Sony STRV444ES receiver to a Denon AVR-X3300W (due to arrive tomorrow). One of the primary reasons for selecting the Denon is that it offers pre-outs and is in my affordable price range. I use a separate power amp for the front L & R speakers. The Sony was notorious for running hot, and using the separate amp let it run much cooler. I plan to do the same with the Denon receiver.

Besides my old receiver I also have the following old components: DAT deck, Minidisk deck, Cassette deck, Reel-to-Reel tape deck. The Sony receiver had a huge number of optical audio inputs and outputs as well as offering multiple tape loop capabilities. I could connect all my components that could record either with optical digital or analog outputs.

It seems that the number of audio outputs on today's receivers has really diminished. I am wondering what, if any, audio outputs (digital or analog) are available on the AVR-X3300W. I have been reading through the owners manual, and the only possible solution for analog audio output looks like the Zone 2 pre-outs. But, the manual indicates that these pre-outs are post-master volume so I couldn't really use them to feed a tape recorder.

After submitting this post I realized I should have posted it in the Denon 2016 S and X series thread. My apologies.

Last edited by VinceL; 07-24-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
post #8185 of 17255 Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
I am upgrading from my ancient Sony STRV444ES receiver to a Denon AVR-X3300W (due to arrive tomorrow). One of the primary reasons for selecting the Denon is that it offers pre-outs and is in my affordable price range. I use a separate power amp for the front L & R speakers. The Sony was notorious for running hot, and using the separate amp let it run much cooler. I plan to do the same with the Denon receiver.

Besides my old receiver I also have the following old components: DAT deck, Minidisk deck, Cassette deck, Reel-to-Reel tape deck. The Sony receiver had a huge number of optical audio inputs and outputs as well as offering multiple tape loop capabilities. I could connect all my components that could record either with optical digital or analog outputs.

It seems that the number of audio outputs on today's receivers has really diminished. I am wondering what, if any, audio outputs (digital or analog) are available on the AVR-X3300W. I have been reading through the owners manual, and the only possible solution for analog audio output looks like the Zone 2 pre-outs. But, the manual indicates that these pre-outs are post-master volume so I couldn't really use them to feed a tape recorder.

After submitting this post I realized I should have posted it in the Denon 2016 S and X series thread. My apologies.
Correct. HDMI is quickly replacing all legacy inputs/outputs.
post #8186 of 17255 Old 07-25-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
The temperature of these AVRs doesn't depend on how many channels are being amplified or even whether any audio at all is being amplified at the time because all amps are always running, so just connecting certain channels to pre-outs won't change running temperature at all. There is however an Eco Mode you can enable to significantly reduce running temperature, again regardless of what the AVR is doing. Several users here use that setting for at least some of their listening, and at least some (most?) have been unable to detect a difference in sound quality even at near-reference volume levels. If you won't be using ANY of the built-in amps because you have a 2.1 setup, then there's absolutely no reason not to set Eco Mode On to be the power-on default state. If you'll still be using them for other channels, I'd argue that defaulting Eco to On would still be a sensible decision since the other channels tend not to consume as much power to begin with. I have all 9 of my channels driven by the AVR and still use Eco On as the default, and only switch it off when watching action films at near-reference volume, although I admit this is more out of "fear of missing out" than having noticed any discernible difference. Good luck and enjoy your new AVR!
bmcn likes this.

Sony 75" Z9D (bye Kuro PDP-5020FD!) | Denon X4300H AVR | Pioneer Elite Atmos 5.1.4 speaker set w/ SVS PC-2000 sub | Oppo UDP-203 | PS3 Slim
post #8187 of 17255 Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The temperature of these AVRs doesn't depend on how many channels are being amplified or even whether any audio at all is being amplified at the time because all amps are always running, so just connecting certain channels to pre-outs won't change running temperature at all. There is however an Eco Mode you can enable to significantly reduce running temperature, again regardless of what the AVR is doing. Several users here use that setting for at least some of their listening, and at least some (most?) have been unable to detect a difference in sound quality even at near-reference volume levels. If you won't be using ANY of the built-in amps because you have a 2.1 setup, then there's absolutely no reason not to set Eco Mode On to be the power-on default state. If you'll still be using them for other channels, I'd argue that defaulting Eco to On would still be a sensible decision since the other channels tend not to consume as much power to begin with. I have all 9 of my channels driven by the AVR and still use Eco On as the default, and only switch it off when watching action films at near-reference volume, although I admit this is more out of "fear of missing out" than having noticed any discernible difference. Good luck and enjoy your new AVR!
Actually it does. The more channels being powered and the higher the master volume .. the hotter the AVR temp.
post #8188 of 17255 Old 07-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Actually it does. The more channels being powered and the higher the master volume .. the hotter the AVR temp.
I admittedly haven't taken formal measurements, but if I power my AVR on and immediately set it to full mute and turn Eco Mode off, it gets at least approximately as warm as it does when I play multi-channel audio at near-reference levels, so even if there's technically a difference, I doubt it would be appreciable to someone concerned about AVR running temps.

post #8189 of 17255 Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I admittedly haven't taken formal measurements, but if I power my AVR on and immediately set it to full mute and turn Eco Mode off, it gets at least approximately as warm as it does when I play multi-channel audio at near-reference levels, so even if there's technically a difference, I doubt it would be appreciable to someone concerned about AVR running temps.
It can be as much as 20-30 degrees F which at least for me is appreciable.
post #8190 of 17255 Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Absolutely doesn??t with mine...there is a huge difference!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page