The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 283 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281267Likes

post #8461 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I just re-ran Audyssey on my x4300h as I moved speaker positions a bit. I have dual subs with one wireless. Audyssey set the wireless sub at 31.1 feet which it had before. Post Audyssey I wanted to tweak my atmos module distance as it was incorrectly measuring directly to speaker and not taking into account ceiling bounce. When I make the changes and back out of the menu it tells me speaker distance is invalid and changes the wireless sub distance from 31.1 to 28.5. I can not change it back to 31.1 (or anything more than 28.5) without restoring audyssey settings but then I can't fix my atmos distances. Does the Denon have a max manual subwoofer distance setting of 28.5? Why the discrepancy between what Audyssey sets and what I can set manually? I don't get it.
Also wanted to add that after my prior Audyssey calibration I had also gone in and changed my atmos speaker distances. I don't recall getting that invalid speaker distance message and I know distance was set the same - 31.3ft. Now I don't know if it changed to 28.5 without me realizing it though.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlu View Post
For music I strongly prefer multi-channel stereo; it makes the music surround you, without any gimmicky processing. This also can make any video with a stereo soundtrack easier to understand.

Ultimately, though, what sounds best will depend on your hardware, your media, and your ears. Try different settings, and find out what works for you.
I started using multi-channel stereo last night for a movie. It utilized the 2 front, center, and 2 rear speakers. So I was quite pleased.

I had been watching movies in Dolby (which are Dolby enabled movies) and the sound was okay. I did not like how most of the dialogue came through the center speakers while the sound effects came through the front left and right. I barely noticed the rear speakers being used.

I may remove the rear speakers as they seem to provide very little sound and the wiring is currently burried under the carpet which doesn't look so nice.
post #8463 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Also wanted to add that after my prior Audyssey calibration I had also gone in and changed my atmos speaker distances. I don't recall getting that invalid speaker distance message and I know distance was set the same - 31.3ft. Now I don't know if it changed to 28.5 without me realizing it though.
Apparently I need to run Audysesey again as I updated the firmware. What sound settings are you listening to music and movie? i.e. dobly, multi Chanel stereo...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8464 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I currently have a x1300w, but I'm kind of having buyers remorse, thinking I should have gone with the x3300w instead. I wasn't planning on it at first, but I am now running dual subs, and have been reading about multeq xt32 and the benefits it has with dual subs. Also, I don't know if its just my setup, but I have an Nvidia Shield plugged into the receiver, and I don't get any on screen display, which i heard might be a limitation with the x1300w and my LG OLED being 4k? Would the x3300w correct this? Also, would the increase from 80w to 105w per channel make much of a difference with my Chance bookshelf's & center?

Unfortunately, I did more research too late and am past my return period for acc4less, so I'd have to sell the x1300w. Any insight appreciated!!
post #8465 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I started using multi-channel stereo last night for a movie. It utilized the 2 front, center, and 2 rear speakers. So I was quite pleased.

I had been watching movies in Dolby (which are Dolby enabled movies) and the sound was okay. I did not like how most of the dialogue came through the center speakers while the sound effects came through the front left and right. I barely noticed the rear speakers being used.

I may remove the rear speakers as they seem to provide very little sound and the wiring is currently burried under the carpet which doesn't look so nice.
I frequently do this too for Netflix streamed through my Apple TV, but bear in mind that the soundtracks you're getting this way are lossy. For lossless soundtracks coming off a Blu-Ray the audio contains far more information, and the directional components of a good 5.1 (or better) mix can add dramatically to the movie's presentation.

Also remember that movies are designed with a front-centric soundtrack, and the majority of the dialog is supposed to come from the center speaker.

In short, I always choose a lossless format if available, but if not I go to multi-channel stereo. Still, it's your system and your ears; the important thing is to enjoy what you're listening to.

LG OLED 65C7P <- Oppo UDP-203 -> Denon AVR-X4300H; Dish Hopper; Apple TV 4K; Paradigm speakers
post #8466 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I frequently do this too for Netflix streamed through my Apple TV, but bear in mind that the soundtracks you're getting this way are lossy. For lossless soundtracks coming off a Blu-Ray the audio contains far more information, and the directional components of a good 5.1 (or better) mix can add dramatically to the movie's presentation.

Also remember that movies are designed with a front-centric soundtrack, and the majority of the dialog is supposed to come from the center speaker.

In short, I always choose a lossless format if available, but if not I go to multi-channel stereo. Still, it's your system and your ears; the important thing is to enjoy what you're listening to.
So even movies that say Dolby enabled on Apple TV are not producing true Dolby sound? What listening mode do you chose for Apple TV? I'm not sure what you mean by lossless format.

Also, I am using Amazon music most of the time and streaming through Airplay. I thought the receiver was supposed to improve the sound quality. What setting do you suggest?

Thanks!
post #8467 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just re-ran Audyssey on my x4300h as I moved speaker positions a bit. I have dual subs with one wireless. Audyssey set the wireless sub at 31.1 feet which it had before. Post Audyssey I wanted to tweak my atmos module distance as it was incorrectly measuring directly to speaker and not taking into account ceiling bounce. When I make the changes and back out of the menu it tells me speaker distance is invalid and changes the wireless sub distance from 31.1 to 28.5. I can not change it back to 31.1 (or anything more than 28.5) without restoring audyssey settings but then I can't fix my atmos distances. Does the Denon have a max manual subwoofer distance setting of 28.5? Why the discrepancy between what Audyssey sets and what I can set manually? I don't get it.
I looked at the manual for maximum distances which it did not list. However it does say the following:

"Set the difference in the distance between the speakers to less than 6.00 m (20.0 ft)."

This would match up with the max distance I can manually set for the wireless sub relative to the closes speaker which is one of the surrounds (~8ft) so maybe that's the issue? Annoying. I wonder if I leave it untouched at the Audyssey setting of 31.1ft if it is really using that or really using 28.5?

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #8468 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
So even movies that say Dolby enabled on Apple TV are not producing true Dolby sound? What listening mode do you chose for Apple TV? I'm not sure what you mean by lossless format.

Also, I am using Amazon music most of the time and streaming through Airplay. I thought the receiver was supposed to improve the sound quality. What setting do you suggest?

Thanks!
Here's the deal, not all content was originally created with Dolby Digital using multiple microphones and some variant of surround sound. I have e.g. hundreds, maybe thousands, of 1960 & 1970 TV episodes that were all originally recorded in Mono, but when the digital transfer took place to create DVDs or Streaming source media, Dolby Digital was used. It's the same with a lot of old movies that are now Dolby Digital, but with a little research you find the original recording was Mono, basic Stereo or some other format. The issue of course is then, one can't expect a fully-immersive 5.1 surround experience if the original content wasn't recorded and mastered that way to begin with. What we get with the digital transfer and use of Dolby Digital with some of this lesser audio content, is some clean-up of the original source material and a consistent format, but many times not a lot more.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #8469 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I just placed the order for a new X2300W, it is due to arrive at my house tomorrow and I can hardly wait.

I am coming from a onkyo TX-NR609 that after 5 years finally had the HDMI board fail with numerous handshake errors, crackling and popping over any HDMI source and finally full audio failure. Oh well it allowed me to upgrade. I recently upgraded my TV to an OLED and got a UHD player, so even though I got a great price on the X2300W it is an unfortunate expense.

So here I am reading and learning everything there is to know about Denon and how it differs from onkyo. I am looking forward to Audyssey XT as it will be a huge upgrade from Audyssey 2-EQ. The main reason I went with Denon was that it had Audyssey since Onkyo seems to have dropped it on all their 4K models. Are they are other fun surprises that I am in for?
post #8470 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22761 Post(s)
Liked: 12417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkobangz View Post
I currently have a x1300w, but I'm kind of having buyers remorse, thinking I should have gone with the x3300w instead. I wasn't planning on it at first, but I am now running dual subs, and have been reading about multeq xt32 and the benefits it has with dual subs. Also, I don't know if its just my setup, but I have an Nvidia Shield plugged into the receiver, and I don't get any on screen display, which i heard might be a limitation with the x1300w and my LG OLED being 4k? Would the x3300w correct this? Also, would the increase from 80w to 105w per channel make much of a difference with my Chance bookshelf's & center?

Unfortunately, I did more research too late and am past my return period for acc4less, so I'd have to sell the x1300w. Any insight appreciated!!
1. MultEQ XT32 does a much better job on EQing both the speakers and subs. Sub EQ HT is the feature that will set the level/delay of 2 subs independently.
2. Nope. No 2016 (or 2017 model for that matter) can display the GUI over 4k video.
3. Nope.

Upgrade for the much better Audyssey as well as Sub EQ HT and other features not found on the X1300W to include Zone 2 HDMI output and HDMI/digital audio to Zone 2, although if you have any interest in the new HEOS module built in to the 2017 models, you may also want to consider the newer X3400H instead which uses the same 32bit DAC as the X4300H.
post #8471 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Trying to save my audyssey config (X4300H), I go to setup -> general -> save and load. When I hit OK on save and load it takes me to HEOS Favorites with text TuneIn Internet Radio scrolling across?? The picture out goes blank as well. Have tried with and without a USB stick inserted and get the same thing...

Edit:
Nevermind, full power off and restart seems to have fixed it. It says saving now.

Last edited by grendelrt; 08-09-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #8472 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Thanks!
There are many flavors of "Dolby". Dolby Digital is lossy, which means that during compression, some information that is considered less important is thrown away, to save on bandwidth. The majority of streaming services, as well as broadcast TV and DVDs, use Dolby Digital for 5.1 audio (if they aren't using stereo or even mono).

Dolby TruHD is lossless, meaning that the compressed audio can be unpacked and be identical to the original recording. This format is typically found on BluRay discs.

Dolby Atmos is an add-on which adds height via ceiling speakers or reflected sound, and is not possible with a 5.1 setup (which I share with you). And Dolby Vision isn't even an audio format.

(And before anybody yells at me, DTS is a competitor to Dolby, and has equivalents to all of Dolby's audio formats, but these are typically found on shiny discs and not broadcast or streaming.)

When you watch movies on your Apple TV are you watching through the Apple Movies app, or Netflix, or some other app? Each may do something different with audio. In any case, unless it specifically says "Dolby TruHD" you are almost certainly getting Dolby Digital, which is lossy. This can sound quite nice, and a Denon receiver will certainly make the most of it -- but it can do even more with a higher-quality source.

As I write this I'm listening to the first disc in the Chicago Quadio Box, which is an audio-only BluRay set of the original quad versions of the first 10 or so Chicago albums, remastered in DTS-HD (the DTS equivalent of Dolby TruHD), and I wouldn't dream of listening to it in any other format. However, I also stream a lot of music through my Apple TV, and watch a lot of Netflix; for these I tend to prefer multi-channel stereo, because IMHO it makes stereo music sound richer and dialog easier to hear. Others here will certainly have other opinions.

I would urge you to keep your rear speakers, pay closer attention to exactly what audio formats you are getting, and experiment.
BertL likes this.

LG OLED 65C7P <- Oppo UDP-203 -> Denon AVR-X4300H; Dish Hopper; Apple TV 4K; Paradigm speakers
post #8473 of 17361 Old 08-09-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked at the manual for maximum distances which it did not list. However it does say the following:

"Set the difference in the distance between the speakers to less than 6.00 m (20.0 ft)."

This would match up with the max distance I can manually set for the wireless sub relative to the closes speaker which is one of the surrounds (~8ft) so maybe that's the issue? Annoying. I wonder if I leave it untouched at the Audyssey setting of 31.1ft if it is really using that or really using 28.5?
I called Denon support that was of no help. The person didn't seem to truly understand my problem and just suggest I do an unplug reset which did nothing. So to sum up post Audyssey I try to correct my upfiring Atmos speaker distance but can't do it without my sub #2 distance being reduced from Audyssey measured 31.1ft to 28.5ft automatically. Only thing I can figure is that in manual it states difference between speaker distances has to be less than 20 feet. I have a surround at 8.5 ft so that would correlate with a max sub distance of 28.5. So it seeems I can either leave it as is post Audyssey and have upfiring Atmos about 2 ft short or fix that and have sub #2 short by 2.6 ft. Anyone else run into this limitation? Any thoughts on which way to leave it? My bias is to leave the sub correct as it could have more of an impact on the dual sub setup.

post #8474 of 17361 Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
FYI - Amazon currently has the x4300H marked down. Brand new direct from Amazon. Its not as good as the price from IQ Home Entertainment earlier this week and might not be as good as JD can do but it's not bad.
Wait another month and it will more than likely be an even better price.
rmerlano likes this.
post #8475 of 17361 Old 08-10-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
There are many flavors of "Dolby". Dolby Digital is lossy, which means that during compression, some information that is considered less important is thrown away, to save on bandwidth. The majority of streaming services, as well as broadcast TV and DVDs, use Dolby Digital for 5.1 audio (if they aren't using stereo or even mono).

Dolby TruHD is lossless, meaning that the compressed audio can be unpacked and be identical to the original recording. This format is typically found on BluRay discs.

Dolby Atmos is an add-on which adds height via ceiling speakers or reflected sound, and is not possible with a 5.1 setup (which I share with you). And Dolby Vision isn't even an audio format.

(And before anybody yells at me, DTS is a competitor to Dolby, and has equivalents to all of Dolby's audio formats, but these are typically found on shiny discs and not broadcast or streaming.)

When you watch movies on your Apple TV are you watching through the Apple Movies app, or Netflix, or some other app? Each may do something different with audio. In any case, unless it specifically says "Dolby TruHD" you are almost certainly getting Dolby Digital, which is lossy. This can sound quite nice, and a Denon receiver will certainly make the most of it -- but it can do even more with a higher-quality source.

As I write this I'm listening to the first disc in the Chicago Quadio Box, which is an audio-only BluRay set of the original quad versions of the first 10 or so Chicago albums, remastered in DTS-HD (the DTS equivalent of Dolby TruHD), and I wouldn't dream of listening to it in any other format. However, I also stream a lot of music through my Apple TV, and watch a lot of Netflix; for these I tend to prefer multi-channel stereo, because IMHO it makes stereo music sound richer and dialog easier to hear. Others here will certainly have other opinions.

I would urge you to keep your rear speakers, pay closer attention to exactly what audio formats you are getting, and experiment.
We normally watch movies through Apple TV on HBO or Netflix. I'll try multi-channel stereo next time! Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, did you use Audyssey?
post #8476 of 17361 Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The x3300w is $499 on acc4less, is it the "best" receiver at this price range, not counting buying used? The Marantz SR5011 on acc4less priced out at $550, but it looks like it only have MultEQ XT and not XT32. I understand it's hard to classify "best", but assistance is appreciated.
Buying from AC4L "is" buying used. Select the model that best meets your feature/input/output/budget requirements.
post #8477 of 17361 Old 08-10-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2075 Post(s)
Liked: 4190
Right now, I wouldn't think it is worth getting a refurb x3300 since new ones with proper warrantees are on clearance at a good price all over the internet from authorized dealers.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #8478 of 17361 Old 08-11-2017, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
x6300h zone 2 hdmi woes

Hi,

I have two x6300h's. One in my living room and one driving the Home Theater. I am trying to get the Living Room to send HDMI via Zone 2 to the Home Theater x6300H.

I have two HDMI related issues.
1. Whenever I try and send anything via Zone 2 HDMI, it fails. If I send the same input to both Main and Zone 2, both screens receive no signal and there is no audio. If I send different hdmi input signals to Main and Zone 2, Main works but Zone 2 gets nothing. I have direct connected the source devices (xbox, cable) to the long hdmi (4k optical) cable that feeds the Home Theater x6300H and it works fine (which rules out the cable and the source device). I have bypassed the Home Theater x6300h and used a Gefen EXT-UHD600-12 to essentially bridge the feed between the Living Room x6300h and the projector. Same result - no signal. I have reset the Living Room x6300h. No change in result.
I can only think that it's an issue with either the Zone 2 hdmi out of my receiver or a signalling mismatch with the Epson projector.

Interestingly, another issue, which may or may not be related, is that the Home Theater Main HDMI out refuses to work with the Epson projector, while it works fine on Monitor 2. Driving me crazy.
Thoughts?

Here's the connection map:

Living Room x6300h:
INPUTS:
  1. xbox One set to 4k
  2. Cable TV hdmi (usually 1080i or 720p signal)
  3. Sonos (optical input)

OUTPUTS:
  1. Vizio M75 4K TV
  2. 5.1 QAcoustics Speakers + HSU Sub
  3. Zone 2 HDMI to Home Theater x6300H
  4. Zone 3 Speaker outputs to Speaker Selector driving outdoor speakers

Home Theater x6300H

INPUTS:
  1. 4k BluRay player
  2. Feed from x6300H in Living Room

OUTPUTS:
  1. 4K HDMI to Epson 5040UB Projector
  2. 11.1 Q Acoustics Speakets + HSU Sub
post #8479 of 17361 Old 08-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Sub EQ is a really nice thing to have. I currently have a Pioneer receiver that does no sub EQ, so I added a DSPeaker-Anti-Mode 8033 whose sole purpose is to EQ your sub(s). You can simple add this to your existing setup and it will improve the bass Frequency response better than even xt32 likely would. There are several threads on this forum dedicated this product.

This might be an easier option than selling then x1300 and buying the x3300.

the x1300 will handle 4k with no issues including dolby vision (after firmware update) the same as the x3300
bigapp and Kirkobangz like this.
post #8480 of 17361 Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skavan View Post
Hi,

I have two x6300h's. One in my living room and one driving the Home Theater. I am trying to get the Living Room to send HDMI via Zone 2 to the Home Theater x6300H.

I have two HDMI related issues.
1. Whenever I try and send anything via Zone 2 HDMI, it fails. If I send the same input to both Main and Zone 2, both screens receive no signal and there is no audio. If I send different hdmi input signals to Main and Zone 2, Main works but Zone 2 gets nothing. I have direct connected the source devices (xbox, cable) to the long hdmi (4k optical) cable that feeds the Home Theater x6300H and it works fine (which rules out the cable and the source device). I have bypassed the Home Theater x6300h and used a Gefen EXT-UHD600-12 to essentially bridge the feed between the Living Room x6300h and the projector. Same result - no signal. I have reset the Living Room x6300h. No change in result.
I can only think that it's an issue with either the Zone 2 hdmi out of my receiver or a signalling mismatch with the Epson projector.

Interestingly, another issue, which may or may not be related, is that the Home Theater Main HDMI out refuses to work with the Epson projector, while it works fine on Monitor 2. Driving me crazy.
Thoughts?
Rules out the source device, yes, but not necessarily the cable. What is the length and make of the AVR --> AVR HDMI cable? Is it "Premium" certified (4k/18gpbs)? Also, passing the signal from the source through the AVR will weaken the signal such that you may need to add an HDMI extender to that signal to pass it to the 2nd AVR. Try passing the Zone 2 HDMI signal from the Living Room AVR to the Vizio TV as a test of signal strength.

Unless an Epson owner chimes in, the Epson owner's thread is likely a better resource.
bigapp likes this.
post #8481 of 17361 Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 449
I got my X3300W set up and ran Audyssey. It sounds great. My question is when watching cable or Netflix through ARC, it takes quite a lot of volume setting, anywhere from -10 to 0 to have decent volume. Netflix at 0 (reference) sounds great, but compared to my old Sony it replaced, it's no where near as loud (doesn't sound as loud as I would expect reference to be). Am I missing something some where? I have Audyssey on reference, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume both off. Eco mode is off. Is this normal or do I have something on I should have off, or vice versa. Thanks, new to Audyssey, I have read the FAQ a few times and don't remember reading about this.
bigapp likes this.
post #8482 of 17361 Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
I got my X3300W set up and ran Audyssey. It sounds great. My question is when watching cable or Netflix through ARC, it takes quite a lot of volume setting, anywhere from -10 to 0 to have decent volume. Netflix at 0 (reference) sounds great, but compared to my old Sony it replaced, it's no where near as loud (doesn't sound as loud as I would expect reference to be). Am I missing something some where? I have Audyssey on reference, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume both off. Eco mode is off. Is this normal or do I have something on I should have off, or vice versa. Thanks, new to Audyssey, I have read the FAQ a few times and don't remember reading about this.
You wouldn't be listening to cable using ARC unless of course for some reason you have the cable box connected to the TV, then the question would be why?

Different sources will have different source volume levels. You can use the SOURCE LEVEL setting to adjust each source +/- to suit your preference, however, as long as the AVR can provide the volume you prefer and you're not having to go over 0db, don't worry about it.
post #8483 of 17361 Old 08-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
You wouldn't be listening to cable using ARC unless of course for some reason you have the cable box connected to the TV, then the question would be why?

Different sources will have different source volume levels. You can use the SOURCE LEVEL setting to adjust each source +/- to suit your preference, however, as long as the AVR can provide the volume you prefer and you're not having to go over 0db, don't worry about it.
For now, I do have the Dish box going to the TV. When I had it connected to my Sony, it caused issues, so for now I left it connected to the TV. I had surgery yesterday and wouldn't be able change or correct anything if it started acting up for a few days. Netflix sounds really good at 0, I am just used to the loudness of the Sony. I figured it'd be a lot louder than it is, all my speakers are Klipsch, except my sub.
post #8484 of 17361 Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I got my x3300w. Initially I ran the Audessy Multeq32 caliberation with my Creative 7.1 speaker system connected through Pre Outs and Amp Assigned to Rear Surround mode. Later, after upgrading my speakers and connecting them through the dedicated amplified channels, I ran the caliberation again, this time with Amp assigned to Top Middle mode. This time the caliberation stay stuck at 84%. This was not resolved even after soft reset. But after I did a factory reset and ran the caliberation again in Top Middle mode from beginning, it completed immediately. Is this normal?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
post #8485 of 17361 Old 08-12-2017, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioctor View Post
I got my x3300w. Initially I ran the Audessy Multeq32 caliberation with my Creative 7.1 speaker system connected through Pre Outs and Amp Assigned to Rear Surround mode. Later, after upgrading my speakers and connecting them through the dedicated amplified channels, I ran the caliberation again, this time with Amp assigned to Top Middle mode. This time the caliberation stay stuck at 84%. This was not resolved even after soft reset. But after I did a factory reset and ran the caliberation again in Top Middle mode from beginning, it completed immediately. Is this normal?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
No.
post #8486 of 17361 Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My questions probably reflect my lack of understanding of the various surround sound capabilities and HDMI control.

I just bought a Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray player. I do not have a 4K TV...just an old Mitsubishi WD-73837 DLP. I received my 2 free 4K Blu-Rays from Sony, and just to see whether it would show up on my TV, I decided to play one of them. All inputs go to my X3300W and then just a single HDMI cable to the TV.

The first thing that surprised me is that as soon as I turned on the Sony Blu-Ray my TV turned on, but my receiver did not. I have HDMI control turned off on the receiver. The only HDMI control type of option for the TV is to either enable or disable Mitsubishi's own brand of HDMI control (I forget what they call it). I have it disabled. So, I'm puzzled how the HDMI signal was able to turn on the TV.

The 4K Blu-Ray did play on my TV. Either the receiver or Blu-Ray player is smart enough to downscale the image. I have a 5.1 setup. The audio defaulted to the 5.1, but it also played the secondary audio track (the one where someone says things like "he walked into the room, turned to his right, and saw himself in the mirror"). If I switched the audio to 7.1, it did not play the secondary audio track. I tried both bitstream and PCM on the Blu-Ray player with the same results. I don't understand why the secondary audio was playing while set for 5.1, but changing the audio to 7.1 turned it off.
post #8487 of 17361 Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Rules out the source device, yes, but not necessarily the cable. What is the length and make of the AVR --> AVR HDMI cable? Is it "Premium" certified (4k/18gpbs)? Also, passing the signal from the source through the AVR will weaken the signal such that you may need to add an HDMI extender to that signal to pass it to the 2nd AVR. Try passing the Zone 2 HDMI signal from the Living Room AVR to the Vizio TV as a test of signal strength.

Unless an Epson owner chimes in, the Epson owner's thread is likely a better resource.
The cable is :RUIPRO HDMI Fiber 50 Feet 18.2Gbps 4K @ 60Hz

Both the feed from the Main Zone to the Vizio and Zone 2 to the Home Theater Room, use this cable. I will try what you suggest -- and see if putting the Vizio on Zone 2 works...
post #8488 of 17361 Old 08-12-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
My questions probably reflect my lack of understanding of the various surround sound capabilities and HDMI control.

I just bought a Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray player. I do not have a 4K TV...just an old Mitsubishi WD-73837 DLP. I received my 2 free 4K Blu-Rays from Sony, and just to see whether it would show up on my TV, I decided to play one of them. All inputs go to my X3300W and then just a single HDMI cable to the TV.

The first thing that surprised me is that as soon as I turned on the Sony Blu-Ray my TV turned on, but my receiver did not. I have HDMI control turned off on the receiver. The only HDMI control type of option for the TV is to either enable or disable Mitsubishi's own brand of HDMI control (I forget what they call it). I have it disabled. So, I'm puzzled how the HDMI signal was able to turn on the TV.

The 4K Blu-Ray did play on my TV. Either the receiver or Blu-Ray player is smart enough to downscale the image. I have a 5.1 setup. The audio defaulted to the 5.1, but it also played the secondary audio track (the one where someone says things like "he walked into the room, turned to his right, and saw himself in the mirror"). If I switched the audio to 7.1, it did not play the secondary audio track. I tried both bitstream and PCM on the Blu-Ray player with the same results. I don't understand why the secondary audio was playing while set for 5.1, but changing the audio to 7.1 turned it off.
1. This would be a question more appropriately asked in your TV's Owner's thread.
2. Secondary audio requires more processing.
post #8489 of 17361 Old 08-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Something odd is happening...

I have a Denon 4300 and a Philips UHD player thats worked fine for months with terrific Dolby Atmos playback.

This morning I suddenly find that my Atmos UHD discs are only playing back in DTS-HD. No idea why this has happened. I've tried various setting on both the Denon and the Philips but no Atmos...

Anyone have any idea what's happening?

Thanks!
post #8490 of 17361 Old 08-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My Personal Review

Denon X2300W is a remarkable AVR for a good price. Not only is it loaded with features such as 4k support and many HDMI ports but also it screams of great quality for the given price. This AVR supports HD audio formats such as DTS- HD MA , Dolby True Surround etc

This avr is good at both the Movies and Music after calibration. You can hear the dialogues of the movie clearly with appropriate setting no matter the source. You can even further fine tune it to your liking through audyssey's settings in Menu to match the dialogue volume to the sounds of explosions in the movie to the same volume so that you don't have to turn up or reduce the volume in various scenes.

This AVR comes with an Audyssey XT Calibration tool and mic to Calibrate to your room environment. Audyssey recommends using the 8 Calibration seats to get the most out of the Denon AVR X2300W.

Here is a Sound Test :
Playing ED Sheeran - Shape Of You on my Denon X2300W
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page