The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 438 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281195Likes

post #13111 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
Most BD-Players that have HDMI-CEC will have the option to turn it off. It may be named Anynet+ (Samsung), or something similar-ish in the settings menu. Just go through all of them and look for something that describes control over HDMI.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look into that tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13112 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hclmed View Post
Just curious if this issue was addressed by replacing both the HDMI board and if the something else was a DSP board. Still can't tell which 6300 systems are at risk. Do you know, from your serial no., if your's was built before or after March 2017?
Hi hclmed, I've owned my 6300 since January 2017 so definitely built before March 2017.
post #13113 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
Well it's taken the best part of three months (mostly waiting delivery of parts). Both the HDMI PCB and the AV PCB were replaced.

I got my AVR back week before last; set it all up and did some quick tests of discs where hiss is known to happen. All good.

Subsequently played quite a few movies without issue....mind you the sound is great, especially Atmos movies.
Replaced both HDMI and AV PCBs in mine to fix hiss issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13114 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an X4300h. About a month ago, no matter what input I selected, it kept switching to Blu Ray. I had just installed a new Sony X800, so I assumed it was a problem. I unplugged the HDMI cable and unplugged the AVR for a while and things returned to normal. I then made sure all HDMI control was off on TV, BD, Denon. I use a harmony remote, so I don't want HDMI to choose inputs or power up/down anything.

I ran a month OK...but admit to little usage.

Then today,,,,,same symptoms....altho today, it kept switching to TV-Audio... Not BluRay. I could try Blu Ray input but it would always switch to TV-Audio. Sometimes it took 2 sec. Sometimes 30 seconds, but it switched to TV-audio all by itself.

I took the BD player out of the loop by removing the HDMI cable to the AVR....did not help. I even tried playing CD player (has no HDMI output) and the AVR flipped over to TV-audio before I could get any audio.

Finally, I was going to do a processor reset and was backing up settings and decided to test the reload of settings before doing a reset. After the Reload, everything worked again without actually doing the reset. (Maybe the reload forces a reset??)

Any ideas on what causes this "Stuck in a specific input" problem.
post #13115 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmax1 View Post
I have an X4300h. About a month ago, no matter what input I selected, it kept switching to Blu Ray. I had just installed a new Sony X800, so I assumed it was a problem. I unplugged the HDMI cable and unplugged the AVR for a while and things returned to normal. I then made sure all HDMI control was off on TV, BD, Denon. I use a harmony remote, so I don't want HDMI to choose inputs or power up/down anything.

I ran a month OK...but admit to little usage.

Then today,,,,,same symptoms....altho today, it kept switching to TV-Audio... Not BluRay. I could try Blu Ray input but it would always switch to TV-Audio. Sometimes it took 2 sec. Sometimes 30 seconds, but it switched to TV-audio all by itself.

I took the BD player out of the loop by removing the HDMI cable to the AVR....did not help. I even tried playing CD player (has no HDMI output) and the AVR flipped over to TV-audio before I could get any audio.

Finally, I was going to do a processor reset and was backing up settings and decided to test the reload of settings before doing a reset. After the Reload, everything worked again without actually doing the reset. (Maybe the reload forces a reset??)

Any ideas on what causes this "Stuck in a specific input" problem.
That specific input is usually selected by a CEC (or HDMI Control, or whatever your TV calls it) signal coming down the ARC HDMI cable between the 4300 and your TV.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13116 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
Are you watching CBS programming, specifically sports? They've been adding a cricket chirp intentionally to programming, and it's exceedingly annoying.
Hi, No...or yes but it occurs on everything, all inputs, Amazon Fire, Oppo-203 in BR and UHD, and both DISH and previous Frontier FiOS. And it is not a consistent sound. Soon I will call Denon support. Or just shoot it and replace it....I just ordered a S930h for a bedroom system, if it does not do it, I will trust them again, if not...Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. ??

Partying my new XBR75-X940D, soon new Denon X4200 AVR
post #13117 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
Are you watching CBS programming, specifically sports? They've been adding a cricket chirp intentionally to programming, and it's exceedingly annoying.
Say what? I haven't heard it on NFL football (so far, anyway), which is all the sports I watch, and not much of that.

That would be INCREDIBLY annoying on a regular basis. Is it some kind of copyright enforcement thing?

Had a flashback to the early sixties, when a Montreal radio station got an exclusive to a new Beatles release for about two weeks, and they inserted the sound of distant church bells (in rhythm) in several places in the song so other stations wouldn't steal it. When it went into wide release, they stopped and the song sounded a bit more thin.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13118 of 17076 Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-bartel View Post
BTW, I also updated the firmware on the receiver last time it notified me there was an update a month or 2 ago.
All of my devices are connected by cables but I have to power cycle them and turn All-Zone-Stereo off/on several times before I get lucky and it works. Did this start happening after the update?

Denon finally got back to me. They said, "Firmware cannot be rolled back unfortunately.", which *really* means they won't give it to me/us.

I haven't tried resetting the processor yet. jdsmoothie gives tips for that in post-5. You might start with his soft-reset suggestion and move on from there. Not having auto-connect might be an as-designed feature though for all I know...
post #13119 of 17076 Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Say what? I haven't heard it on NFL football (so far, anyway), which is all the sports I watch, and not much of that.

That would be INCREDIBLY annoying on a regular basis. Is it some kind of copyright enforcement thing?

Had a flashback to the early sixties, when a Montreal radio station got an exclusive to a new Beatles release for about two weeks, and they inserted the sound of distant church bells (in rhythm) in several places in the song so other stations wouldn't steal it. When it went into wide release, they stopped and the song sounded a bit more thin.
I hope i didn't ruin your football Sunday. It's one of those things that once you notice it, it will drive you nuts.

They even inserted it on Boomer and Gio on CBSSN.
post #13120 of 17076 Old 01-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Has anyone else has issues with the 2016 Denon App? Mine worked fine since I got the AVR in December but started to screw up last night. The app opens and finds the receiver and turns it on but the app continues to show the main zone as powered off. Anyone have a clue?
post #13121 of 17076 Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Has anyone else has issues with the 2016 Denon App? Mine worked fine since I got the AVR in December but started to screw up last night. The app opens and finds the receiver and turns it on but the app continues to show the main zone as powered off. Anyone have a clue?
Mine did that after the update also. I had to unplug the reciever for a minute or two. Works fine now. This is from the app store page. Please update the firmware via the system setup menu. (General > Firmware) If the App doesn't work properly, please try to reboot your mobile device, unplug the power cord of the main unit and reinsert into the power outlet or check your home network.
*Please set "Network Control" to "ON / Always ON" in your product via the system setup menu to use this app.
Terminader likes this.
post #13122 of 17076 Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Hmm.... I never updated my AVR tho. But if it’s as simple as that I’ll try it. I know my Marantz would periodically lose its connection and I would have to turn the IP address on and then back off again and it would work, but when that would happen on the Marantz nothing worked.
post #13123 of 17076 Old 01-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an S920. Since last update I have a weird problem. When using Pandora, if I wake up my Android phone, the sound gets static for a few seconds and I lose the tv picture of the Denon Pandora screen. I've tried everything. Switching from Ethernet to wifi, switch routers even. Only thing that stops it is to turn off wifi on my phone. Any ideas?
post #13124 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21990 Post(s)
Liked: 11926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekirstein View Post
I have an S920. Since last update I have a weird problem. When using Pandora, if I wake up my Android phone, the sound gets static for a few seconds and I lose the tv picture of the Denon Pandora screen. I've tried everything. Switching from Ethernet to wifi, switch routers even. Only thing that stops it is to turn off wifi on my phone. Any ideas?
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include how to do a "Discrete Network chip only" reset in post 5.
post #13125 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include how to do a "Discrete Network chip only" reset in post 5.
I have been dealing with this annoying situation since mid-November 17. My NR-1506 drops its network connectivity each time a Samsung S7 wakes up. I looked for the problem everywhere in my network settings all over the house (I have several routers and expanders) with no results.

Last week I noticed a new entry in the Marantz support FAQ that (at last) informs about this issue. Google this: AVR HANGS WHEN ANDROID DEVICE IS UNLOCKED / STARTED

Resolution: what I did is to add a new entry in my home firewall - I am using an ASUS RT-N66U but it should work with any firewall - BLOCK UDP 5353 for all addresses (inbound and outbound).
Port UDP 5353 is used for Multicast DNS and these android phones are sending a lot of garbage through it when they wake up. It is probable that the Marantz network module is quite weak (not to say...crappy) and can't handle this sudden burst of data. I believe is is the same for Denon network modules and maybe other companies like Onkyio.

Google is aware of this issue with Chromecast and promise to roll-out a fix starting January 18. Google this: Known Issue: Slow Wi-Fi performance with Android and Chromecast built-in devices

Since I added the block in the firewall, the problem is gone and both my sons can use their phones without stopping my Airplay streaming and driving me crazy. I haven't seen any problems caused by blocking this port anywhere in the network and all devices are working perfectly.

Hope it helps others too

Cheers
muzz, Mrjmc99 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #13126 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Liked: 11
Cec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
That specific input is usually selected by a CEC (or HDMI Control, or whatever your TV calls it) signal coming down the ARC HDMI cable between the 4300 and your TV.

I ran thru all the CEC type settings on the AVR and Panny Plasma...which is called Viera Link on their stuff. I had one switch turned on that could be an offender. Will watch closely. Don' think that one would explain the similar problem I had last month when it switched to Blu Ray by itself. (rather than TV-Audio this time). I also made sure my Remote was not firing IR commands off. Also funny...this problem went away for a month...then returned. Could it be static...kinda dry in the basement this time of year with heat running.

I'll also look around back. Since I installed...cannot remember for sure if ARC cable is used. (due to my cabinetry, getting to Cables is a last resort...but I'll get there if the soft changes don't help me)

Thanks.
post #13127 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmax1 View Post
I ran thru all the CEC type settings on the AVR and Panny Plasma...which is called Viera Link on their stuff. I had one switch turned on that could be an offender. Will watch closely. Don' think that one would explain the similar problem I had last month when it switched to Blu Ray by itself. (rather than TV-Audio this time). I also made sure my Remote was not firing IR commands off. Also funny...this problem went away for a month...then returned. Could it be static...kinda dry in the basement this time of year with heat running.

I'll also look around back. Since I installed...cannot remember for sure if ARC cable is used. (due to my cabinetry, getting to Cables is a last resort...but I'll get there if the soft changes don't help me)

Thanks.
ARC/CEC comes back down the same HDMI cable that sends video from the AVR up to the Panny - it's not a separate interface.
post #13128 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

How much space above, to the sides, and/or behind the receiver is typically required for adequate ventilation? I have the 4300. I'm looking at low TV Tables and trying to figure out which ones will allow me to place the receiver on one of the internal shelves. I'm targeting ones that have open backs.

Also can anyone recommend a low, wide media table that can handle a 65" TV? I typically like the middle of the TV to be below eye level, but I'm having a hard time finding a table that is low enough while still having enough space on it's shelves to leave good ventilation for the receiver.

Thanks!
post #13129 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

How much space above, to the sides, and/or behind the receiver is typically required for adequate ventilation? I have the 4300. I'm looking at low TV Tables and trying to figure out which ones will allow me to place the receiver on one of the internal shelves. I'm targeting ones that have open backs.

Also can anyone recommend a low, wide media table that can handle a 65" TV? I typically like the middle of the TV to be below eye level, but I'm having a hard time finding a table that is low enough while still having enough space on it's shelves to leave good ventilation for the receiver.

Thanks!
Generally at least 3-4" clearance on the sides and above the AVR with an open front/back is suggested. Although better for the side space to take a hit rather than space above the AVR.
post #13130 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Generally at least 3-4" clearance on the sides and above the AVR with an open front/back is suggested. Although better for the side space to take a hit rather than space above the AVR.
Ugh. That top clearance is gonna be tough. I can have the front and back open, and several inches on both sides, but it's rare to find a cabinet that has shelves that are more than 8" tall. That only leaves about 1.5" of space on top of the receiver. On the plus side, it's a basement that is always colder than the rest of the house.
post #13131 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ugh. That top clearance is gonna be tough. I can have the front and back open, and several inches on both sides, but it's rare to find a cabinet that has shelves that are more than 8" tall. That only leaves about 1.5" of space on top of the receiver. On the plus side, it's a basement that is always colder than the rest of the house.
Then you'll want to consider adding an external cooler (eg. Infinity Aircom T8) as a cold basement is only going to keep the AVR cool a few minutes longer than if in a heated room.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...ar-exhaust-17/
post #13132 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked: 6691
Quote:

How much space above, to the sides, and/or behind the receiver is typically required for adequate ventilation?
I could have sworn Denon has a diagram in their manual or setup guide giving "recommended minimum" air ventilation measurements.

I know that I am not going mad, but I can't for the life of me find it!

Can anyone find it please?
ahblaza likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #13133 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I could have sworn Denon has a diagram in their manual or setup guide giving "recommended minimum" air ventilation measurements.

This has worked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #13134 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post

The older diagrams indicate 12" above the unit, however, a more recent note is the following:

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...recommendation
post #13135 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 84
For what it's worth, I have the AC Infinity Aircom S8 sitting on top of a 4300 and the total height is 8.25 inches. For a tight height situation that is open to the rear, the S8 is better because exits the air to the rear, whereas the S9 exits air out the top.
asabrag likes this.

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receivers: Denon AVR-X4300H - 5.1.4., JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2 - Studio 590 - L&R, ES250PBK Sub, 2 - ES90 Towers - L&R surround, 2 - Studio 230 - front height, 2 - ES20 - rear height. Video production: Resolve Studio 15, Windows 10 Pro, CPU i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 64GB (4x16)Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200, GH5 camera, Zhiyun Crane 2 Gimble
post #13136 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm migrating from an onkyo 707 and thought a Denon X2300 would be a great reciever to migrate to. I only have a Kef 3.1 setup and I just wanted something with some fun airplay functionality and hdcp 2.2. Well I got two units from accessories for less and both have generated a lot of static in my speakers for some reason. Maybe interference with the wifi or blue tooth, i can't figure it out. What's another good option to power K iQ70s and an iq60c center?

I'm guessing Yamaha?
post #13137 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 10:47 PM

Liked: 10
X3300W connection BT, Airplay, Inetrnet radio issues

It’ll probably be my last Denon model ever.
1. There are always connection issues with Internet radio, sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn’t
2. Bluetooth doesn’t work (it used to for a little while) with my iPad or iPhone
3. Nor does Airplay; when I choose that in the remote app, the receiver switches to internet radio.
The Denon is connected through a cabled cat6 giga network connection, which works fine.

I’ve been in touch with Denon help in NL, but the only thing they can say is; try a reset, so i keep resetting and getting sick of it.
On the bright side: All new HD audio codecs incl. Dolby Atmos work great, as does 4k pass through
Still I’m open to suggestions about what I may be doing wrong....
post #13138 of 17076 Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Figured it out. Apparently my powerline adapter which is plugged into another outlet completely is affecting my new Denon receiver issuing static into my Kef speakers. When I drive internet traffic from my cable modem to my powerline switch through my electrical circuit to my other switch and then to my roku I get lots of static. I'm not sure if there's a fix for this.

I may just have to go with another vendor which isn't as sensitive. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of anyone who has?
blatz8 likes this.
post #13139 of 17076 Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttext View Post
1. There are always connection issues with Internet radio, sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn’t
2. Bluetooth doesn’t work (it used to for a little while) with my iPad or iPhone
3. Nor does Airplay; when I choose that in the remote app, the receiver switches to internet radio.
The Denon is connected through a cabled cat6 giga network connection, which works fine.

I’ve been in touch with Denon help in NL, but the only thing they can say is; try a reset, so i keep resetting and getting sick of it.
On the bright side: All new HD audio codecs incl. Dolby Atmos work great, as does 4k pass through
Try doing a "Network" reset as noted in post 5 of this thread, otherwise, for WiFi issues, try changing to a different brand of modem and ensure you have the most current firmware update to the 2016 Denon Remote app.
post #13140 of 17076 Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by arttext View Post

Sorry your having problems with your Denon. I have had my 4300h for awhile now and honestly had zero problems with it. My last reciever was a 3808ci that did have network issues but I don't think I was the only one. It was clunky to say the least. Both of these were/are hard wired to my network fwiw. I'm using Samsung galaxy devices and Google Wi-Fi. Hope you get your issues worked out and enjoy your reciever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page