The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281289Likes

post #13591 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Correct. Only the "flagship" Denon AVR models feature multi ch inputs unlike all of the Marantz "SR" and "AV" series which all feature 7.1 multi ch inputs.

Since the OP specified "stereo" in Zone 2, couldn't he connect to any unused analog input and select that in Zone 2?
ahblaza likes this.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13592 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Since I recently went 4K with a LG C7 OLED and my Yamaha 1050 AVR is not getting the DV update, I am thinking of upgrading to either the 1070 or the X3400H.

They're both pretty similar but my main question is, am I really missing much HDR wise?

Also, has anyone gone from Yamaha to Denon or vice-versa with any regrets or glad they did the switch?
mttpalmer likes this.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
post #13593 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Since I recently went 4K with a LG C7 OLED and my Yamaha 1050 AVR is not getting the DV update, I am thinking of upgrading to either the 1070 or the X3400H.

They're both pretty similar but my main question is, am I really missing much HDR wise?

Also, has anyone gone from Yamaha to Denon or vice-versa with any regrets or glad they did the switch?
The quality of picture that HDR vs SDR is much greater than the jump from 1080p to 4K, it is well worth the investment.

I did not come from Yamaha but did upgrade from an Onkyo 609 to the X2300 and the addition of Atmos is spectacular. What also helps make the upgrade worth it was the increased fidelity that is gained by the better room correction. I went form 3 position Audyssey to 8 position, I can't remember the exact version names off hand, and it does make a noticable difference.
bbbobbb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13594 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
HDR is great, but Dolby Vision is better. It would be a shame not to be able to take advantage of it on that OLED.
post #13595 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22930 Post(s)
Liked: 12545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Since the OP specified "stereo" in Zone 2, couldn't he connect to any unused analog input and select that in Zone 2?
Yup. However, I took the "EXT IN" comment to be separate from his Zone 2 comment.
post #13596 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
The quality of picture that HDR vs SDR is much greater than the jump from 1080p to 4K, it is well worth the investment.

I did not come from Yamaha but did upgrade from an Onkyo 609 to the X2300 and the addition of Atmos is spectacular. What also helps make the upgrade worth it was the increased fidelity that is gained by the better room correction. I went form 3 position Audyssey to 8 position, I can't remember the exact version names off hand, and it does make a noticable difference.
Thanks. I had an Onkyo as well and like Audessy over YPAO. So maybe that's a good reason to switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
HDR is great, but Dolby Vision is better. It would be a shame not to be able to take advantage of it on that OLED.
Yeah especially since I got a sweet deal on a LG UP970 that was updated with DV. Have yet to buy a DV title though.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
post #13597 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
4k isn't worth an upgrade alone IMO, but I personally think Atmos is, and considerIng some studios don't release Atmos on BD, it is what it is...

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #13598 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Yeah especially since I got a sweet deal on a LG UP970 that was updated with DV. Have yet to buy a DV title though.
Netflix has DV titles as well. And its really amazing to me that just a few years ago I could not even watch Netflix streaming movie because the picture quality was so bad. Now, I'd take a Netflix DV/HDR title over any standard blu ray for picture quality all day, all night, all week.
post #13599 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:

I came to my 4300 from two previous Yamahas, the last a 7.1 AVR. I was fine with the Yamahas, but wanted more channels and couldn't resist the 9.2 base with 11.2 processing at the blowout pricing on the 4300 last fall.

The differences I've found: The Yamaha seemed a lot more stable electronically. There are more posts here than I'm used to seeing about this, that or the other feature locking up or not working, advice about reset this or that, and updates hanging or bricking units. To be fair, my 4300 has not had any of those issues, although every once in a while when I'm changing channels on my TiVo it will just lose its mind and push a full screen of very fine grained snow to my LG OLED which usually clears up in a few seconds, but every once in a while requires another channel change to fix. I am not a huge fan of the way my Denon handles video in general. I understand that the video needs to be processed to have the audio stripped off and then be fed to a luminance keyer to superimpose informational graphics, but I think they could do a better job of it than they do. And there really should be a way to locally recover from a botched upgrade that bricks the machine. "Ship it back at your expense, and be without it for weeks" is not even remotely customer friendly for an expensive device still under warranty.

The Yamaha on screen displays of things you see constantly, like volume, mute, and input/output status are a lot more aesthetically pleasing to me - I find the Denon's to be crude (and I'm being charitable here).

The Denon, on the other hand, has remarkably good speaker and room settings, and if you get some aftermarket app (which I haven't bothered to get), you can make a whole career of EQing your setup. I like the way they treat two subs as separate entities for setup. I do find that it tends to bury the center channel more than I'd like until I raise the volume past about 45-50.

I have mine set up in a 11.2 config with an external amp supplying the last two channels, and I make extensive use of the Dolby Surround upixer to drive all speakers with 5.1 (and less) sources. I'm happy with the way it sounds in general and would not want to go back to my 7.1 Yamaha. But I would be tempted by a Yamaha with similar specs at under $1K pricing.

And one other thing - there are a few highly knowledgeable posters here who help constantly, as well as a wizard named jdsmoothie who is insanely knowledgeable on all things Denon, and responds to questions and issues and gives terrific advice. He wrote the first few extensive FAQ posts on this thread. His support is like having a Denon tech posting. There wasn't anything even vaguely close on the Yamaha threads.
post #13600 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Quote:

It appears that the main thing that you're missing with the 1050 is Dolby Vision. I imagine that you won't be getting HLG (hybrid log gamma) either. I believe that the latter is mostly of interest for video streaming services.

I got tired of waiting for a UHD BluRay player that supported DV, and bought an Oppo UDP-203 to complement my LG B7. (My AVR is a Denon X4300H, which received a DV pass-through update last fall.) DV from disk is nice, but not life-altering compared to HDR10.

My previous AVR was a Yamaha TSR-5810 (= RX-V581). I prefer Audyssey XT32 to the version of YPAO that came with the 5810, but it's not clear how it would compare to the YPAO on higher-end Yamaha models. (The X3400H also comes with XT32.)
post #13601 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I came to my 4300 from two previous Yamahas, the last a 7.1 AVR. I was fine with the Yamahas, but wanted more channels and couldn't resist the 9.2 base with 11.2 processing at the blowout pricing on the 4300 last fall.

The differences I've found: The Yamaha seemed a lot more stable electronically. There are more posts here than I'm used to seeing about this, that or the other feature locking up or not working, advice about reset this or that, and updates hanging or bricking units. To be fair, my 4300 has not had any of those issues, although every once in a while when I'm changing channels on my TiVo it will just lose its mind and push a full screen of very fine grained snow to my LG OLED which usually clears up in a few seconds, but every once in a while requires another channel change to fix. I am not a huge fan of the way my Denon handles video in general. I understand that the video needs to be processed to have the audio stripped off and then be fed to a luminance keyer to superimpose informational graphics, but I think they could do a better job of it than they do. And there really should be a way to locally recover from a botched upgrade that bricks the machine. "Ship it back at your expense, and be without it for weeks" is not even remotely customer friendly for an expensive device still under warranty.

The Yamaha on screen displays of things you see constantly, like volume, mute, and input/output status are a lot more aesthetically pleasing to me - I find the Denon's to be crude (and I'm being charitable here).

The Denon, on the other hand, has remarkably good speaker and room settings, and if you get some aftermarket app (which I haven't bothered to get), you can make a whole career of EQing your setup. I like the way they treat two subs as separate entities for setup. I do find that it tends to bury the center channel more than I'd like until I raise the volume past about 45-50.

I have mine set up in a 11.2 config with an external amp supplying the last two channels, and I make extensive use of the Dolby Surround upixer to drive all speakers with 5.1 (and less) sources. I'm happy with the way it sounds in general and would not want to go back to my 7.1 Yamaha. But I would be tempted by a Yamaha with similar specs at under $1K pricing.

And one other thing - there are a few highly knowledgeable posters here who help constantly, as well as a wizard named jdsmoothie who is insanely knowledgeable on all things Denon, and responds to questions and issues and gives terrific advice. He wrote the first few extensive FAQ posts on this thread. His support is like having a Denon tech posting. There wasn't anything even vaguely close on the Yamaha threads.
Thanks for the info. The one glitch I get on my Yamaha is no audio when it comes off the standby mode. I have to turn it off/on again. I'm one that does not need to have the AVR on all the time. Just for movies and shows that are mixed for dolby surround.

post #13602 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Netflix has DV titles as well. And its really amazing to me that just a few years ago I could not even watch Netflix streaming movie because the picture quality was so bad. Now, I'd take a Netflix DV/HDR title over any standard blu ray for picture quality all day, all night, all week.
I don't know what to think about this....as I agree. I could not have ever seen this coming as someone who owns 850+ Blu-Rays and 56+ UHD discs. The PQ on Netflix streaming can be excellent. It can also suck like Punisher.

I have to now consider if it is worth it to keep paying for my 2 disc Blu-Ray Netflix sub as well as the 4K/HDR streaming sub. Happily many of my Blu-Rays were automatically updated when 4K streaming via iTunes as well. The iTunes PQ is as good as Netflix and most of the UHDs that I have purchased. It's a great time to have the internet. I pay Comcast for 250 down and have never had any "network" issues.

Sorry off topic: I do route all my sources through my Denon X1300W, definitely worth it as it passes 4K/HDR/Atmos, etc...
jjackkrash and blatz8 like this.
post #13603 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Hello all, just bought Denon AVRX4300H. Is this a smart buy today at 999$ in 2018? It seems to have everything I want. First Atmos venture. Tomorrow I'm buying speakers for 5.1.4 configuration. I figure I'd go a step above the basic Atmos config 5.1.2 since I read it's worth it. I hope so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I think that is fine.I paid $999 at BB for a AVRX3400H due to being the newest model. I returned and now have a refurb'ed AVRX4300H and I paid a good bit less that $999. I would be happy with your price for a new AVRX4300H.

Have you hooked up the 4300H yet? If so, what do you think?
camd5pt0 likes this.
post #13604 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
it will just lose its mind and push a full screen of very fine grained snow to my LG OLED which usually clears up in a few seconds, but every once in a while requires another channel change to fix

Ha! This happens to me as well. Haven’t tried it with channel changes—I also have a TiVo—but it happened with some frequency when switching between streaming video apps on my Xbox One S. Switching to another input and back would fix it there.
post #13605 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Just checked firmware on my X4300H and I also received a new one, after I received the previous around 3-4 weeks ago.
It's now running 6440-0096-8451-2544 and DTS Version 3.90.35.00.
So far I don't see/hear any difference.

Also checked http://firmware.denon.eu, but there is still the previous version available.

Update took around 5 minutes and went flawless.
post #13606 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I also can report a new firmware version which got pushed to my x4300H this morning. 6440-0096-8451-2544 and DTS Version 3.90.35.00. I already had the Dolby Vision update in a previous FW push. I was hoping this FW would update the HEOS module to implement Spotify via the Amazon Alexa Denon Skill but alas still is not supported under this new firmware.

So what exactly does it fix or implement?
post #13607 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldobson View Post
I also can report a new firmware version which got pushed to my x4300H this morning. 6440-0096-8451-2544 and DTS Version 3.90.35.00. I already had the Dolby Vision update in a previous FW push. I was hoping this FW would update the HEOS module to implement Spotify via the Amazon Alexa Denon Skill but alas still is not supported under this new firmware.

So what exactly does it fix or implement?
I've had 2 updates since I bought my X4300H in August. The first was the DV one in September and the second was the HEOS Alexa one several weeks ago(mine reads the same as your firmware currently.) Support for Spotify within that last upgrade is still upcoming from what JD has shared.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #13608 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I just had a weird issue with my Nvidia shield and x4300h after the firmware update. Kodi on the shield wouldn't recognize that my receiver was HD audio capable. I had to power cycle my avr. I was watching some Bitstream content with no issue earlier today. I switched to heos audio for a few hours then back to the shield. It wouldn't play any HD audio. Power cycle on the avr and it's recognizing HD audio capability again.
Hopefully this update didn't cause some hdcp handshake issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #13609 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 09:13 PM

Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post
I think that is fine.I paid $999 at BB for a AVRX3400H due to being the newest model. I returned and now have a refurb'ed AVRX4300H and I paid a good bit less that $999. I would be happy with your price for a new AVRX4300H.

Have you hooked up the 4300H yet? If so, what do you think?
Haven't yet, I'll receive it Tuesday. I had the chance to get a certified refurbished x4400h with 1 yr MFR warranty. But will all my research of AVR issues, I didn't want to chance it, and wanted the additional 2 yr.
Hopefully I won't miss the new features

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #13610 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Silly me, I didn't do enough homework.
I received the sub today, however I haven't opened it. I looked at pictures of the sub's connection and they are RCA, while I ordered and LFE cable, it won't work. Will getting an LFE to RCA cable allow the sub to function properly?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180216-221720.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2362460

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
post #13611 of 17409 Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I received the sub today, however I haven't opened it. I looked at pictures of the sub's connection and they are RCA, while I ordered and LFE cable, it won't work. Will getting an LFE to RCA cable allow the sub to function properly?Attachment 2362460

Sorry, I don't understand.

I expect a sub to accept L&R stereo line level signals into two RCA jacks, or a single input into one of those.

The attached is the back of a Hsu VTF2 Mk5. The white RCA jack is for either the left signal of a stereo pair (red is the right), or the LFE signal from a receiver's sub out port.

I don't know what sub you've bought, but I'd hope that it's similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V2MK5Amp-600.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	2362476  
post #13612 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I received the sub today, however I haven't opened it. I looked at pictures of the sub's connection and they are RCA, while I ordered and LFE cable, it won't work. Will getting an LFE to RCA cable allow the sub to function properly?Attachment 2362460

Huh? As Bob noted .. nothing wrong with using that cable.
post #13613 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Sorry, I don't understand.

I expect a sub to accept L&R stereo line level signals into two RCA jacks, or a single input into one of those.

The attached is the back of a Hsu VTF2 Mk5. The white RCA jack is for either the left signal of a stereo pair (red is the right), or the LFE signal from a receiver's sub out port.

I don't know what sub you've bought, but I'd hope that it's similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Huh? As Bob noted .. nothing wrong with using that cable.
Sorry for confusion. My receiver only has 2 LFE out, so I bought LFE to LFE cable. However, My sub only has L and R in.
Do I
A) use LFE to LFE cable to either L or R
B) get a LFE to RCA L and R cable

And if I do B) will I miss out on any LFE functions by doing so? I want to avoid returning the sub in favor of LFE in Port.

post #13614 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

A. Connect one end of the LFE to the Sub pre-out 1 and the other end to the L input on the sub.
blatz8 and camd5pt0 like this.
post #13615 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Sorry for confusion. My receiver only has 2 LFE out, so I bought LFE to LFE cable. However, My sub only has L and R in.
Do I

And if I do B) will I miss out on any LFE functions by doing so? I want to avoid returning the sub in favor of LFE in Port.

Since your sub only has L & R inputs, I assume they are speaker level inputs. You can wire these in parallel to Front L/R speakers either from receiver or from speakers.
You will need to set Front R/L speakers to Large and Subwoofer mode to +Main to allow LFE signals to be sent to Front L/R speaker terminals.
But then you would miss out on the low frequency control from Audessey.

For using the subwoofer outputs (pre outs) from receiver and to be able to fully utilize Audessey, you need a Subwoofer that accepts LFE via RCA ..
Usually the very basic subwoofers will only have speaker line inputs.
camd5pt0 likes this.
post #13616 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Complete Network Failure on Denon AVR-X3300W

After enjoying the AVR-X3300W for almost a year, the network interface has completely stopped working for absolutely no apparent reason. I have a network switch right next to the receiver, so I've been using a hard-wired connection, but I'm not even seeing a link light on the switch anymore.

Per the instructions in the manual, I performed a factory reset by holding the tuners + and - buttons while turning the power on. The receiver is now stuck in the network setup screen (I see the activity indicator and it says, "Please wait...", but absolutely nothing happens after several minutes).

I'm at a complete loss for what to do. I've tried multiple network cables I know work in other devices as well as various ports (that I also now work) on the network switch. I also checked the receivers network port to see if the wires managed to get crossed, but everything looks fine. I've searched the forum posts for anything related, but I haven't been able to find anything for the AVR-X3300W (just a similar one for the 3310, but the buttons are slightly different, so it didn't apply to me).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
post #13617 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do I

Please post the make and model of your sub. Since you mention the possibility of returning it, I assume that it's a new purchase.

That would make responses a lot more relevant.
post #13618 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 557
If the unit is still under warranty, taking it in for service may be your best bet.

post #13619 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
If the unit is still under warranty, taking it in for service may be your best bet.
This.
I believe the Denons have a 2 year warranty. Depending on where you purchased it, it may be as simple as returning it to the store and having them deal with shipping it to the repair center.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #13620 of 17409 Old 02-17-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Please post the make and model of your sub. Since you mention the possibility of returning it, I assume that it's a new purchase.

That would make responses a lot more relevant.
I did post my setup in here but I should've restated my model sub in my question.
It's a Pioneer SW-10
Everything is still boxed up so I downloaded a manual moments ago while I'm at work.
It does state to connect into the Left input for LFE. I should've read this first.

blatz8 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page