The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 482 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281262Likes

post #14431 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazeroth View Post
EDIT: The six subs are equivalent to 2 18's so nothing this forum hasn't seen many times. Though, I do have 6'2" line arrays I built for fronts dirt-cheap. Yes, it gets loud in my 11.5 x 17 ft room
Wouldn't six 12" subs move the same amount of air as 4 18's?

And yeah, I bet it gets LOUD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14432 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Well my car audio would suggest otherwise
That's the boundary effect kicking in big time in your car with all that closed in space and hard glass. Take your whole setup into your closet and seal it tight like a car cabin and your bass would probably change dramatically( I was in the auto industry for 22 years.) I agree you should bump up your sub levels though for music.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #14433 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
I just wanted to update you guys. I tried all of your suggestions and it did improve my situation a little. I am satisfied with the way it currently sounds but I feel as if I am still missing something.

I tried JDsmoothie's suggestions to set Audessey Offset to 10db and Dynamic Volume to Medium. I then bumped the center level to +5.0 DB. I left center dialogue levels alone (off). Dialogue has definitely improved where I was able to turn the master volume up to hear dialogue clearly but action scenes were not overpowering.

I also messed around in the Audessey app, the curve for the center channel. I still feel the center sounds sort of "muddy" with a bit too much low and mid range in it. I could not dial this out (I may have to spend more time with it). At higher volumes at times I also noticed a slight distortion/static in voices. It is very intermittent. I am thinking maybe my center is on its way out or it just cannot handle the level I listen to movies at.
Thanks for the update. Glad things at least got better.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14434 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazeroth View Post
I wanted to avoid that since the sub outs are going to have EQ already applied to them. I guess I can give it a shot and see how it sounds. Worst case, I can see how much boost/cut is applied and do the reverse with an external EQ. Maybe even tweak it from there. Thanks.

EDIT: The six subs are equivalent to 2 18's so nothing this forum hasn't seen many times. Though, I do have 6'2" line arrays I built for fronts dirt-cheap. Yes, it gets loud in my 11.5 x 17 ft room
Oh, my God ! That's a lot of drivers.

post #14435 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 750 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22757 Post(s)
Liked: 12407
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I am new to HT and just set up it up for the first time today. I am using the 3300w with Apple tv4k and ran through Audessey and twice it could not detect the center and the sub.

Again, I am very new and learning. Do i have the dynamic equalizer on or not. All the files that i am playing is showing PCM,
Also, do I use dolby+ surround or dolby+neural or just direct.

Any pointer to help me get my system come alive.

I am using Q100 as front L/R and center a nd sony cores as surround.
1. Check for a loose speaker wire connection for the Center speaker and loose RCA connection for the sub cable. On the sub, set it to "ON" (not "Auto") while running Audyssey. Set it back to "Auto" when finished running Audyssey.
2. Most will want Dynamic EQ set to ON all the time. It will boost the bass/surround audio at lower volume levels.
3. PCM input means the source is set to PCM and not "bitstream" which would show DD/DTS and generally the preferred setting.
4. Use either Dolby + Surround or Dolby + Neural, whichever you prefer. You will generally NOT want to use DIRECT as doing so disables Audyssey and bass management (ie. no sub with stereo 2.0 audio like music).
Madmax67 likes this.
post #14436 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Welp my new (to me, Refurbished from AC4L) just took a poop after less than a week.

Wife was listening to music and it just stopped. No signs, no warning, no nothing just no sound all of a sudden.

Tried everything, swicthes to different HDMI sources, tried an RCA source, tried internet radio, unplugged it 30 mins and tried it again, tried with only 1 speaker hooked up. Messed with settings, everything I could think of.

Even factory reset it and tried running Audessy Test tones, nothing.

On interesting thing was that after the sound went, the subwoofer volume control, dialog Adjustment ECT, all said not supported in this Audio mode. However the audio mode was surround, I also tried 5.1 sources still that was all greyed out.

So do you guys think it was the amp? Or something else? I out in a Exchange request hopefully they are fast with this exchange 😞.

This is not a common problem right? Please tell me no lol.
post #14437 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
I am new to HT and just set up it up for the first time today. I am using the 3300w with Apple tv4k and ran through Audessey and twice it could not detect the center and the sub.

Again, I am very new and learning. Do i have the dynamic equalizer on or not. All the files that i am playing is showing PCM,
Also, do I use dolby+ surround or dolby+neural or just direct.

Any pointer to help me get my system come alive.

I am using Q100 as front L/R and center a nd sony cores as surround.
1. Check for a loose speaker wire connection for the Center speaker and loose RCA connection for the sub cable. On the sub, set it to "ON" (not "Auto") while running Audyssey. Set it back to "Auto" when finished running Audyssey.
2. Most will want Dynamic EQ set to ON all the time. It will boost the bass/surround audio at lower volume levels.
3. PCM input means the source is set to PCM and not "bitstream" which would show DD/DTS and generally the preferred setting.
4. Use either Dolby + Surround or Dolby + Neural, whichever you prefer. You will generally NOT want to use DIRECT as doing so disables Audyssey and bass management (ie. no sub with stereo 2.0 audio like music).
Hmm I'm interested now. So are you saying Direct (Bitstreaming?) Will disable Audyssey?

That's not cool, because nothing I own will play Atmos any possible way but Bitstreaming.

Can you get Atmos any way other than Bitstreaming afaik you cannot with any device I have ever seen.

Edit: I was thinking maybe Oppos? I checked and ya no, if you use Atmos Bitstreaming is the ONLY option. Nothing can decode Atmos but AVRs.

Last edited by cyberlocc; 04-08-2018 at 04:49 PM.
post #14438 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 7394
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
Hmm I'm interested now. So are you saying Direct (Bitstreaming?) Will disable Audyssey?
No, not "Direct (Bitstreaming)". There is a Denon audio mode called "Direct" which is designed for purists to listen to their 2-channel stereo vinyl LPs with no processing whatsoever whilst smoking a pipe wearing slippers. It is that mode which disables Audyssey, it's nothing to do with bitstreaming. Repeatedly press the yellow button on the remote to get this mode and cycle it. Repeatedly press the other three colours to set presets for your choice (labelled as Movie, Music and Game, but think of them as preset1, preset2, preset3). But you need to press the button repeatedly to cycle through the possible audio processing options.

So answer 4 was saying you don't want to use the "Direct" audio mode. But don't worry, it's not what you thought.
Madmax67 and drh3b like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 04-08-2018 at 05:07 PM.
post #14439 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVR-X4300H Firmware Downgrade

Hi - I foolishly upgraded to the latest firmware for AVR-X4300H and ended up regretting it, Airplay does not work anymore.

Anyway, does anyone have link to download the firmware from November 2017? On Denon USA site there is no way to download the firmware from November 2017, they only let you download the September firmware and then the unit upgrades you to the latest February 2018 version.

I'm looking to get the USB firmware for AVR-X4300H from November 2017, Version: 6340-8976-8461-0534

Thanks!

Last edited by enkay18; 04-08-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: gave wrong version of firmware
post #14440 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 4189
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkay18 View Post
Hi - I foolishly upgraded to the latest firmware for AVR-X4300H and ended up regretting it, Airplay does not work anymore.

Anyway, does anyone have link to download the firmware from November 2017? On Denon USA site there is no way to download the firmware from November 2017, they only let you download the September firmware and then the unit upgrades you to the latest February 2018 version.

I'm looking to get the USB firmware for AVR-X4300H from November 2017, Version: 6340-8976-8461-0534

Thanks!
Try doing a microprocessor reset as detailed in post 5 first, or even just unplug the receiver overnight to see if that fixes the issue.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #14441 of 17358 Old 04-08-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
No, not "Direct (Bitstreaming)". There is a Denon audio mode called "Direct" which is designed for purists to listen to their 2-channel stereo vinyl LPs with no processing whatsoever whilst smoking a pipe wearing slippers. It is that mode which disables Audyssey, it's nothing to do with bitstreaming. Repeatedly press the yellow button on the remote to get this mode and cycle it. Repeatedly press the other three colours to set presets for your choice (labelled as Movie, Music and Game, but think of them as preset1, preset2, preset3). But you need to press the button repeatedly to cycle through the possible audio processing options.

So answer 4 was saying you don't want to use the "Direct" audio mode. But don't worry, it's not what you thought.

Ahh okay thanks for explaining that 🙂. Scared me for a second lol.

Last edited by cyberlocc; 04-08-2018 at 10:24 PM.
post #14442 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
I had the Sub on but it was set to Auto, so I changed it to "On", but when going through calibration it says too high volume and set to SW leveling or something and then it never sets at 75db as shown on the screen, the numbers keep moving and i could get close to 75db and the I hit continue. Is it supposed to calibrate to 75db, after a few minutes I give up and continue.

Is there an "Auto" setting, so that I can use it and the receiver will detect the audio source and play it. Like I said before if I set Appletv 4k to "best setting available" and play netflix which is 5.1 it still shows as PCM.

And what sound mode do people mostly use?
post #14443 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Is there an "Auto" setting, so that I can use it and the receiver will detect the audio source and play it. Like I said before if I set Appletv 4k to "best setting available" and play netflix which is 5.1 it still shows as PCM.

Easy way to answer this question. Do you have 5.1.2?

If you do turn it to Bitstreaming and forget about PCM as you can't use Atmos.

The downside to Bitstreaming also is that it has problems with secondary audio like Blu-ray commentary.

Basically, from what I read about it when trying to get my Atmos to work. Bitstreaming sends the compressed audio track to the receiver. The receiver in turn decodes the sound and converts it ECT all in the receiver.

With PCM, the device decodes the sound and sends the receiver either the digital sounds to be converted to analog or sends it the analog.

The advantage to PCM, is that the source can manipulate the sound where it cannot with Bitstreaming. So like on my PC I use Jriver, Jriver can do alot of sound modifactions, however most don't apply when Bitstreaming is on.

For the Apple, I'd set it to Bitstreaming, as it doesn't have any changes to the sound settings?

As far as apple saying that's the better sound mode. I don't think so, if you have a decent Reciever it's going to have much better decoder than that apple.

When you talk about Jriver that starts to change.
All just from my reading over the last little while. I tried it with a few different devices I notice no difference between PCM and BSing, except that my Atmos works, and that my receiver doesn't just "Multi Ch In" and actually tells me the source material (Dolby Surround, DD+, Atmos ECT.)
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by cyberlocc; 04-09-2018 at 09:13 AM.
post #14444 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hooked up my x4300 last night to my 2 front towers and center channel and it worked great for about 10 minutes. Then all of the sudden it shut off and the red light was blinking fast. It will turn back on for about 5 seconds and then turns right back off. I have a directv receiver, xbox one x, and a playsation 4 hooked up to it. I felt it and it wasn't real hot or anything. During the time it did work when I would switch inputs between devices I noticed a distorted and mis colored part of the image either at the bottom or right side. I got it as a refurb from accessories4less. Am I doing something wrong or does this sound like simply a bad unit that I should return? Thanks!
post #14445 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
I hooked up my x4300 last night to my 2 front towers and center channel and it worked great for about 10 minutes. Then all of the sudden it shut off and the red light was blinking fast. It will turn back on for about 5 seconds and then turns right back off. I have a directv receiver, xbox one x, and a playsation 4 hooked up to it. I felt it and it wasn't real hot or anything. During the time it did work when I would switch inputs between devices I noticed a distorted and mis colored part of the image either at the bottom or right side. I got it as a refurb from accessories4less. Am I doing something wrong or does this sound like simply a bad unit that I should return? Thanks!

Are all your speaker wires fully insulated or not touching each other or touching red to black?
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #14446 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
Are all your speaker wires fully insulated or not touching each other or touching red to black?
They should be. They are all in banana plugs. Would that cause the video issues also though?
post #14447 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
They should be. They are all in banana plugs. Would that cause the video issues also though?
If the speaker wiring is good at both ends of the wire, the unit is defective - ask for a replacement.

Since it's usually doing some video processing, a speaker wire short would cause the power supply to momentarily buckle, which could cause momentary video issues.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #14448 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Apple TV (and other sources like a UHD DVD player) should be set to 'bitstream' or whatever its equivalent is on the device. That allows the AVR to do the decoding, not the source. You do NOT want the source (Apple TV, UHD player, etc.) doing the decoding - this sends PCM audio to the AVR, and you're missing a bunch of sound content then.

The AVR is always on 'auto' setting unless you specifically change that - it looks at the input and tells you what it is. If you send it Dolby Digital, that's what it will say unless you force some other mode. I don't remember which model AVR you have, but for most, the "Info' button on the remote will put up a graphic that tells you the format of the source, what the AVR is doing with it, and how many speakers are active.

As for which sound mode, if you let the AVR do the decoding as I suggested, you are left with 'upmixer' choices like Dolby Surround or Neural:X. Those are mostly for if you have more speakers than the source has channels. So for example, I have 11 speakers, and when I listen to Dolby Digital 5 channel sources, I use the Dolby Surround 'upmixer' to distribute some of that sound to all 11 speaker channels, despite it only being 5 channels of source audio. It makes for a more immersive experience, but as most things, what's important is how those 'upmixers' sound to YOU.

Once you get past the basic setup, the choice of modes is to your taste. Play around. Try various sources, modes, upmixers. You can't break anything, and can always do a factory reset and start over.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #14449 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
If the speaker wiring is good at both ends of the wire, the unit is defective - ask for a replacement.

Since it's usually doing some video processing, a speaker wire short would cause the power supply to momentarily buckle, which could cause momentary video issues.
Ok thanks. I'll check it out tonight!
post #14450 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkay18 View Post
I'm on the latest firmware and use AirPlay all the time without any issues.
post #14451 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Apple TV (and other sources like a UHD DVD player) should be set to 'bitstream' or whatever its equivalent is on the device. That allows the AVR to do the decoding, not the source. You do NOT want the source (Apple TV, UHD player, etc.) doing the decoding - this sends PCM audio to the AVR, and you're missing a bunch of sound content then.

The AVR is always on 'auto' setting unless you specifically change that - it looks at the input and tells you what it is. If you send it Dolby Digital, that's what it will say unless you force some other mode. I don't remember which model AVR you have, but for most, the "Info' button on the remote will put up a graphic that tells you the format of the source, what the AVR is doing with it, and how many speakers are active.

As for which sound mode, if you let the AVR do the decoding as I suggested, you are left with 'upmixer' choices like Dolby Surround or Neural:X. Those are mostly for if you have more speakers than the source has channels. So for example, I have 11 speakers, and when I listen to Dolby Digital 5 channel sources, I use the Dolby Surround 'upmixer' to distribute some of that sound to all 11 speaker channels, despite it only being 5 channels of source audio. It makes for a more immersive experience, but as most things, what's important is how those 'upmixers' sound to YOU.

Once you get past the basic setup, the choice of modes is to your taste. Play around. Try various sources, modes, upmixers. You can't break anything, and can always do a factory reset and start over.
The apple tv 4k does not have bitstream, only best setting available, dolby 5.1 and stereo, and if i select best settings available which is recommended it send everything as PCM

Last edited by sid369; 04-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
post #14452 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The apple tv 4k doesnt npot have bitstream, only best setting available, dolby 5.1 and stereo, and if i select best settings available which is recommended it send everything as PCM
This has come up here before, and there were recommendations on how to set the Apple up to feed an AVR properly. Use the search function on this thread to find those posts if you want to see how others have done it.

Also, it's possible that an update to the Apple TV enabled those functions. There were quite a few issues with the first release of the 4K Apple TV that were partially solved by the first update. Make sure you're running the current firmware on it.
post #14453 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The apple tv 4k doesnt npot have bitstream, only best setting available, dolby 5.1 and stereo, and if i select best settings available which is recommended it send everything as PCM
With the Apple TV you can use either or, it really doesn't matter because apple is going to decode either way.

You can't Bitstream with Apple TV, nor can you use Atmos with Apple TV. It's typical Apple properitary lock down old tech methodology.

It's just the way Apple is, it's the way they have always been. Most of their fan base prefers that simplicity and locked down but stable eco system. You don't tell Apple what you want to do, Apples tells you what you want to do.

Before I get flamed, I am not knocking Apple, just stating the facts. Apple is good at alot of things. Being flexible and adaptable is not one of them lol, nor is being up to date with tech. Stability with Apple is great though 🙂.

Also, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069.

So the scoop is you can either use PCM, or you can can use Dolby Digital. In the latter case, Apple will decode the signal and then reencode it to send it to the AVR will it will be decoded again. Pointless, so just use PCM, Apple isn't going to let your AVR take control, because that's there motto lol. Apple is in Control, of everything ALWAYS!
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by cyberlocc; 04-09-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #14454 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I finally took the time to fish an optical cable through my wall and began using optical out from my TV to my x3300 instead of relying on ARC. It seems all my audio issues have been resolved lol
post #14455 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With the Apple TV you can use either or, it really doesn't matter because apple is going to decode either way.

You can't Bitstream with Apple TV, nor can you use Atmos with Apple TV. It's typical Apple properitary lock down old tech methodology.

It's just the way Apple is, it's the way they have always been. Most of their fan base prefers that simplicity and locked down but stable eco system. You don't tell Apple what you want to do, Apples tells you what you want to do.

Before I get flamed, I am not knocking Apple, just stating the facts. Apple is good at alot of things. Being flexible and adaptable is not one of them lol, nor is being up to date with tech. Stability with Apple is great though 🙂.

So the scoop is you can either use PCM, or you can can use Dolby Digital. In the latter case, Apple will decode the signal and then reencode it to send it to the AVR will it will be decoded again. Pointless, so just use PCM, Apple isn't going to let your AVR take control, because that's there motto lol. Apple is in Control, of everything ALWAYS!

So using ATV4k with a AV receive is useless, as my $500 receiver wont be doing any processing right?
post #14456 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

So using ATV4k with a AV receive is useless, as my $500 receiver wont be doing any processing right?
I mean I wouldn't say it's "Useless" it's still an Amp, and still gives EQ and room correction and all the other reciever benefits. You just lose decoding may it be better or worse than the Apple. And you lose anything past 7.1 surround.

Your reciever can still modify the sound it recieves it just doesn't allow decoding with the Reciever.

If you just want 5.1 or 7.1 the ATV is just fine, if you want Atmos/DTS X/Auro 3d. Then the ATV is useless however.

They do that for a reason FYI 😛. AppleTV4k 2 will have Atmos Decoding but not DTS X, you will need AppleTV4k 3.0 for that 😛.

Last edited by cyberlocc; 04-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.
post #14457 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Thoughts on how to organize or hide this mess?

Is there an issue with this rats nest aside from the aesthetics?
Thanks!

Sony XBR65X900E
Xbox X
Denon X4300H
5.1.4- Klipsch RC-62 ii, R-26F, R-15M, R-10SW, Monoprice 8" Black Back Ceiling Speakers
post #14458 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I mean I wouldn't say it's "Useless" it's still an Amp, and still gives EQ and room correction and all the other reciever benefits. You just lose decoding may it be better or worse than the Apple. And you lose anything past 7.1 surround.

Your reciever can still modify the sound it recieves it just doesn't allow decoding with the Reciever.

If you just want 5.1 or 7.1 the ATV is just fine, if you want Atmos/DTS X/Auro 3d. Then the ATV is useless however.

They do that for a reason FYI 😛. AppleTV4k 2 will have Atmos Decoding but not DTS X, you will need AppleTV4k 3.0 for that 😛.
Sorry, but what’s Apple’s reason for not outputting bitstream like most other players such as Blu-ray etc.?
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #14459 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mons0160 View Post
Thoughts on how to organize or hide this mess?

Is there an issue with this rats nest aside from the aesthetics?
Thanks!
It looks like you have a lot more wire back there than you need. Maybe try cutting some of those speaker wires down so they are just long enough to plug into the receiver.
mons0160 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

Last edited by RodChester; 04-09-2018 at 08:41 PM.
post #14460 of 17358 Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasmo_Q View Post
Sorry, but what’s Apple’s reason for not outputting bitstream like most other players such as Blu-ray etc.?
Same reasoning they used when the first version they shipped converted everything they output, including their menus, to Dolby Vision. And not very well, since footage can't just be 'converted' in a box, it has to originate as HDR, then get the Dolby special sauce applied.

It seems they assume their customers lack any technical knowledge , and Apple knows what's best for them. And to cut down on support calls, they limit the configuration options.

I really wanted to like the thing. I've been looking for the 'holy grail' streaming box, the one that supports UHD, HDR10, HLG and DolbyVision in video, and 5.1, 7.1, Atmos, and DTS:X in audio with a pure bitstream output so the AVR can decode.

It took them 4 years to come out with the thing and the feature set is sooooo disappointing.

Last edited by DougDingle; 04-09-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page