The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 524 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281228Likes

post #15691 of 17252 Old 09-05-2018, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Check to make sure you are entering the serial number as noted on the back panel of the AVR, otherwise, you can also simply use "0123456789."
thanks the serial worked . i have been able to download the may firmware. i noticed my serial number has letters maybe that why it didnt work.

Thanks again

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15692 of 17252 Old 09-05-2018, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Check to make sure you are entering the serial number as noted on the back panel of the AVR, otherwise, you can also simply use "0123456789."
I also got the error message when I tried. I looked at the sample image and it showed a serial number WITHOUT the preceding letters, so I tried just entering the number part of my serial number and it worked. Denon's web script should be able to parse out the letters, but it doesn't. So if you're having a problem getting the firmware, try by just using the numbers.
post #15693 of 17252 Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for some troubleshooting advice!

Setup is:

Sources --(HDMI)--> Denon x2300 --(HDMI)--> Vizio

- All video processing is switched off in the AVR.
- TV settings are from rtings.com
- Fire TV is set to support 4k (auto), and Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI (auto)
- All firmware is up to date
- Cables are premium certified from Monoprice.

My audio is lagging the video. The AVR only has positive delay, so I have no way to delay video. If I set to 0ms, it's allllmost there on the LG Blu-Ray player. The FireTV it seems that some content is better than others, but none is perfect. I was trying to watch Star Wars this weekend and it looked like an overdub, the sync was awful. I always see mouths move, and then hear the words after.

Settings I have tried changing:
- Adding video processing features on the TV to add video delay (didn't help)
- Auto lip-sync on/off
- Enabling CEC on the TV and AVR
- Using ARC to return the Fire TV audio to the AVR (when connected this way and playing out from the TV speakers the sync was good)

From my understanding there should be some amount of delay in the video processing, necessitating some audio delay. I would not expect 0ms to be right on.

I don't really know what to do next... maybe completely reset everything and see if that fixes it. I'm open to suggestions!

Vizio E 75"
Denon X2300 -- > 5.1 Overnight Sensation + Anarchy TH sub
LG UHD Blu Ray, Amazon Fire TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15694 of 17252 Old 09-05-2018, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22578 Post(s)
Liked: 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmcenroe View Post

Setup is:

My audio is lagging the video. The AVR only has positive delay, so I have no way to delay video. If I set to 0ms, it's allllmost there on the LG Blu-Ray player. The FireTV it seems that some content is better than others, but none is perfect. I was trying to watch Star Wars this weekend and it looked like an overdub, the sync was awful. I always see mouths move, and then hear the words after.

- Auto lip-sync on/off
- Using ARC to return the Fire TV audio to the AVR (when connected this way and playing out from the TV speakers the sync was good)

From my understanding there should be some amount of delay in the video processing, necessitating some audio delay. I would not expect 0ms to be right on.

I don't really know what to do next... maybe completely reset everything and see if that fixes it. I'm open to suggestions!
You can try doing a "soft reset" by powering off all components, unplugging their power cables and any HDMI cables connecting them for 10 minutes. Connect all and try again, powering on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, then lastly the source,

If still no joy, you're only option is to replace either the source, TV, or AVR.
post #15695 of 17252 Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:

Setup is:

- Auto lip-sync on/off

Start with the soft reset that JD recommended. (Unplug all devices from wall power for about 10 minutes. Then plugin/turn on TV, wait 5sec, then receiver, wait 5sec, then player device.)

FWIW, Auto lip sync now seems to work to appropriately delay the video for at least one 2015 D&M hardware configuration: Amazon/Netflix LG TV <--ARC--> Marantz SR5010. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56756552
DougDingle likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #15696 of 17252 Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

Setup is:

- Auto lip-sync on/off

I would start by bypassing the AVR with an HDMI Female-Female barrel connector for each source, one at a time, keeping cables and everything else the same, see if the problem persists. I ordered a couple of those from Amazon a while back, and keep them handy as a way of bypassing HDMI based components for troubleshooting issues like this. This is not the same as just feeding each source directly to the Vizio - you are testing the entire signal path except for the one component being bypassed.

Here's a good choice at two for $7: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...qid=1536170424

If the problems stops, you know it's not the sources or cables or display - it's the AVR. If it doesn't, if it's still there as you try each source, it's the Vizio.
post #15697 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, I was visiting my local Bargain Hunt and came across a boxed up AVR-S720 minus remote. With the Labor Day coupon of $50 off anything over $199, I decided this was a good time to replace the Pioneer 921 on the second TV as the power could no longer be shut off via remote or button. While unboxing, discovered something different in the box as in a X2300. Thinking someone pulled a switcheroo and returned their defective receiver while keeping what was in the box, I tested all I/O ports, speaker jacks, and networking to determine if there were any defects. Used Airplay to download Wi-Fi settings from iPhone and updated to latest firmware. To my surprise, everything tested, works. I'm set up for 5.1 (Klipsch Synergy) + height (JBL). Only issue is that at Run 4 of Audyssey setup, it can no longer find the speakers. Punted and did a manual set up for distances. TV is a 1080p Panasonic Plasma. therefore, 4K upconversion not tested. One week in and no other issues. Using remote from the 4300 for the moment. If my luck holds out, got a much better bargain than expected.

Brettwf
sources: Apple TV4, FireTV stick, Toshiba HD-XA1 (untested), PS4 Pro
post #15698 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

post #15699 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Update: Denon will be releasing a firmware update later in 2016 that will allow cross format mixing (ie. DSU on DTS audio and DTS Neural:X on DD audio) for all Atmos models.

This is from the first page of this thread. I looked up post # 6 (overview of firmware updates), but was unable to find it.

As I do have tomorrow the choice between an X6300 and an X6400 and since I consider that an important feature, I need to know.

Thanks for listening.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #15700 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
This is from the first page of this thread. I looked up post # 6 (overview of firmware updates), but was unable to find it.

As I do have tomorrow the choice between an X6300 and an X6400 and since I consider that an important feature, I need to know.

Thanks for listening.
I don't know about the first item, but the second (DTS Neural:X on DD audio) is available as a choice on my 4300. I don't use it, preferring the Dolby Surround upmixer, but was able to select it and have it run.
Frank714 likes this.
post #15701 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks for listening.
The Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X and Auromatic upmixers have worked on Dolby, DTS and PCM soundtracks since D&M's second update to the DTS firmware in the ...200W AVR models. This functionality is included in Denon's 6300 and 6400 AVRs.

Unfortunately, Dolby recently decided to no longer allow DTS Neural:X and Auromatic to be applied to any Dolby soundtracks. My understanding is that this restriction will be implemented starting with the 2019 models of D&M equipment. It won't affect the X6300 or X6400 AVRs.

Selden

post #15702 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Unfortunately, Dolby recently decided to no longer allow DTS Neural:X and Auromatic to be applied to any Dolby soundtracks. My understanding is that this restriction will be implemented starting with the 2019 models of D&M equipment. It won't affect the X6300 or X6400 AVRs.
I didn't know that. That's pretty cheesy of them.

Although I must admit, I only use Neural:X when the source is two channel stereo, which for me is increasingly rare. And in any case, I plan on keeping my 4300 until it disintegrates or I win the lottery.
Jive Turkey and Madmax67 like this.
post #15703 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
=Selden Ball;56765742
And speaking of Auro, I would think now that Auro3D is standard on most of the high end line, and probably anyone willing to pay the $200 to upgrade would have done so long ago, Denon/Auro would make special end-of-life pricing for the older line, like the X4300.

I would never even consider paying $200 for it (One quarter the price I paid for the X4300 for an upmixer? Get serious!), but for $49 I would likely give it a shot.
post #15704 of 17252 Old 09-06-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
And speaking of Auro, I would think now that Auro3D is standard on most of the high end line, and probably anyone willing to pay the $200 to upgrade would have done so long ago, Denon/Auro would make special end-of-life pricing for the older line, like the X4300.

I would never even consider paying $200 for it (One quarter the price I paid for the X4300 for an upmixer? Get serious!), but for $49 I would likely give it a shot.
This makes too much common sense to ever actually happen .
DougDingle and Bytehoven like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #15705 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

...and the AVC-X6500 as I understand it is a "2018" model? My dealer talked to his Denon product manager according to whom "no unit brought into retail prior to January 2019" is supposed to be restricted or retro-restricted via a firmware update.

I'm currently torn between the X6500 (will "IMAX enhanced" program content really be a useful feature???) or an older X6300 and will use it for my home theater and front projector.

As there are currently no Dolby Vision capable front projectors on the horizon, I'm mostly interested whether the X6300 will display GUI menus when playing 4K UHD Blu-ray content or not (since I'll probably cross-upmix I'd like to see what I get from the UHD Blu-ray to understand what eventually arrives on my 7.1.4 speaker setup).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #15706 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
...and the AVC-X6500 as I understand it is a "2018" model?
Correct.
Quote:
My dealer talked to his Denon product manager according to whom "no unit brought into retail prior to January 2019" is supposed to be restricted or retro-restricted via a firmware update.
That's consistent with my understanding.
Quote:

I'm currently torn between the X6500 (will "IMAX enhanced" program content really be a useful feature???)
That's currently unknown. It seems to include a calibration standard along with both audio and video decoding options. Pessimists suspect that the video portion might apply some unwanted edge enhancement.
Quote:
or an older X6300 and will use it for my home theater and front projector.

As there are currently no Dolby Vision capable front projectors on the horizon,
Nor "IMAX enhanced."
Quote:
I'm mostly interested whether the X6300 will display GUI menus when playing 4K UHD Blu-ray content or not (since I'll probably cross-upmix I'd like to see what I get from the UHD Blu-ray to understand what eventually arrives on my 7.1.4 speaker setup).
Sorry, I dunno since I'm still running 1080p. However, my understanding is that most of the restrictions are on overlaying the GUI on a 4K video signal. The receivers which can't do the overlay black out the 4K video and change screen resolutions in order to show the GUI. Someone else will have to comment on what actually happens on the models that interest you.
Frank714 and Madmax67 like this.

Selden

post #15707 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Do I need to run Audyssey setup again?

I have a 5.1 system,
recently I removed my center speaker,
do I need to run Audyssey setup again?
or I could just go to receiver speaker setting and choose the speaker "center" from "on" to "off"?

Thanks!
post #15708 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei Wu View Post
I have a 5.1 system,
or I could just go to receiver speaker setting and choose the speaker "center" from "on" to "off"?

Thanks!
You will need to run Audyssey again because the EQ is based on having that speaker in place and has adjusted levels of all other speakers with that in mind.
post #15709 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 4038
Quote:
I have a 5.1 system,

Thanks!
Just turn the center speaker off.

Since you got conflicting answers, you can ask here, where you will get a definitive answer, although I am confidant in mine.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56767942
ahblaza likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #15710 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4865 Post(s)
Liked: 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I didn't know that. That's pretty cheesy of them.

Although I must admit, I only use Neural:X when the source is two channel stereo, which for me is increasingly rare. And in any case, I plan on keeping my 4300 until it disintegrates or I win the lottery.
It's pretty cheesy of DOLBY. For anyone reading this we must always be very clear every time it's mentioned that none of the AVR manufacturers wants this. DOLBY, not Denon, is the company being hostile to the users and restricting what can be done with your own equipment in your own home. I know you were clear enough because of "Dolby" in the post you quoted, but didn't want it to be lost.
JJ7 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #15711 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
It's pretty cheesy of DOLBY. For anyone reading this we must always be very clear every time it's mentioned that none of the AVR manufacturers wants this. DOLBY, not Denon, is the company being hostile to the users and restricting what can be done with your own equipment in your own home. I know you were clear enough because of "Dolby" in the post you quoted, but didn't want it to be lost.
"So what you're reeeeaaly trying to say is..." (bonus to you if you get this reference)
It's Denon's fault, right?
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #15712 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a 5.1 system,

Thanks!
No. Simply set the Center speaker to "None".
ccotenj and ahblaza like this.
post #15713 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4865 Post(s)
Liked: 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
"So what you're reeeeaaly trying to say is..." (bonus to you if you get this reference)
"There's a chance?"
Madmax67 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #15714 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
The Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X and Auromatic upmixers have worked on Dolby, DTS and PCM soundtracks since D&M's second update to the DTS firmware in the ...200W AVR models. This functionality is included in Denon's 6300 and 6400 AVRs.

I had the impression this applied to the forthcoming DTS: Virtual X only, but that may be incorrect.

Either way, it's a little petty.
post #15715 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I had the impression this applied to the forthcoming DTS: Virtual X only, but that may be incorrect.
The restriction has been in DTS Virtual:X since it started shipping.
It'll be in DTS Neural:X and Auromatic starting with D&M's 2019 AVR and pre/pro models.
The restriction was first discussed in an article on Audioholics at https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...upmixing-atmos
They claimed that it'd be enforced in firmware updates to older receivers, but apparently that won't be happening.

Quote:
I agree.

Selden

post #15716 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

DTS Virtual:X was first introduced on the 2017 models and can only be enabled on DTS and PCM audio.

Dolby's restriction not allowing the DTS Neural:X or AuroMatic simulators on DD audio should only apply on the 2019 and newer D+M models, while Yamaha has implemented it already on their 2018 models (no longer being able to use DTS Neural:X on DD+ and Dolby TrueHD audio).
Madmax67 likes this.
post #15717 of 17252 Old 09-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
"There's a chance?"
Negative ghost writer.
post #15718 of 17252 Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I set up my AVR-W1300W yesterday for the first time and Pandora is working just fine. I never had Pandora and the Denon gave me a code to use when i went to the Pandora site to create a new account in order to recognize my Denon device. All is good....

Then, the Denon does a FW update and now it cannot connect to Pandora. What's most confusing, in the Pandora section of the Denon - if you click on "Don't have a Pandora account"...it points you to go to Sirius to log in!!!!

wtf Denon - your FW update is flawed and you have now cut me out of Pandora!!!
post #15719 of 17252 Old 09-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryny View Post
wtf Denon - your FW update is flawed and you have now cut me out of Pandora!!!

Nope it's not flawed - Pandora etc. has been removed from the X1300w firmware since quite a while

Denon AVR-X1300w / Yamaha 7.1 Speaker System

Last edited by Agent 7100; 09-08-2018 at 04:14 PM.
post #15720 of 17252 Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 7100 View Post
Nope it's not flawed - Pandora/Spotify has been removed from the X1300w firmware since quite a while
Spotify - removed (as Spotify Connect from a phone/tablet is now used instead)
Pandora - not removed which is why there is a firmware update forthcoming to resolve the latest SSL certificate changes that prevent logging in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page