The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 568 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281228Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17011 of 17255 Old 07-04-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,992
Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Last night my X6300-H made a loud pop and then some sparks came out the top.
I had just watched a documentary at low volume, the receiver has about 8 inches of clearance at the top and it was on Auto-ECO mode.
I smelled a "burnt electronic" type smell. The top cover was barely warm.

I turned it off right away and unplugged it.

This morning I opened up the cover and couldn't see anything unusual (charred bug/moth, burnt daughterboards...).

I plugged it in and everything seems to work (FM radio, watched movie files from HTPC). I increased the volume and checked out all the loudspeakers and surprisingly everything works well.

Anything else I should do or watch out for?
Most likely the AVR just wanted to celebrate July 4th a little early.
simplepinoi177 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17012 of 17255 Old 07-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
patoberli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
If you're extremely lucky, it was just an insect getting fried.
patoberli is offline  
post #17013 of 17255 Old 07-04-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Last night my X6300-H made a loud pop and then some sparks came out the top.

I had just watched a documentary at low volume, the receiver has about 8 inches of clearance at the top and it was on Auto-ECO mode.

I smelled a "burnt electronic" type smell. The top cover was barely warm.



I turned it off right away and unplugged it.



This morning I opened up the cover and couldn't see anything unusual (charred bug/moth, burnt daughterboards...).



I plugged it in and everything seems to work (FM radio, watched movie files from HTPC). I increased the volume and checked out all the loudspeakers and surprisingly everything works well.



Anything else I should do or watch out for?
Just FYI. You technically void your factory warranty when you open the receivers enclosure. I would not want a piece of electronics that previously shot sparks out of the top left plugged into a wall outlet unattended. If still under warranty I'd contact Denon ASAP.
tbass2k likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17014 of 17255 Old 07-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
It would be best to describe how everything is set up. Hdmi Inputs connected to on tv and avr (are the arc inputs and have you confirmed this) audio outsetting on tv or optical out to avr. input assignment on Avr... and any other config info to make it easier to provide assistance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


HDMI is on arc port on receiver and tv. Tv says audio hmdi arc. HDMI control is on receiver.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #17015 of 17255 Old 07-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Member
 
sgunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Just FYI. You technically void your factory warranty when you open the receivers enclosure. I would not want a piece of electronics that previously shot sparks out of the top left plugged into a wall outlet unattended. If still under warranty I'd contact Denon ASAP.
Is that correct that just opening the receiver voids the factory warranty? Do other brands have the same policy? I may look at another brand when it comes to upgrading to HDMI 2.1 for a future 8K TV.
It is a 2016 model, so I probably don't have any warranty on it.

At this point everything works.
sgunes is offline  
post #17016 of 17255 Old 07-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Member
 
sgunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
If you're extremely lucky, it was just an insect getting fried.
That's what I think happened.
An hour later a scorpion came crawling from the same general direction.
sgunes is offline  
post #17017 of 17255 Old 07-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
simplepinoi177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
I tried that. The tv audio button does nothing on my remote


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
HDMI is on arc port on receiver and tv. Tv says audio hmdi arc. HDMI control is on receiver.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since you stated that the button doesn't do anything, have you tried manually turning the "Tuner/Input" dial to manually get to TV Audio input?

In my experience, I was wondering why I wasn't getting any sound from my TV apps out to my speakers, and foolishly realized that there was a special input to be chosen; i.e. nothing will come out unless the proper input is selected...

I know this might be rather obvious advice, but just covering all bases and hopefully this helps...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
simplepinoi177 is offline  
post #17018 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Is that correct that just opening the receiver voids the factory warranty? Do other brands have the same policy? I may look at another brand when it comes to upgrading to HDMI 2.1 for a future 8K TV.
That's true with all electronics manufacturers. Removing drivers from speakers, enclosure top's from blu ray players , amp's, AV receivers and removing the back of a laptop to swap out the factory HDD for a SSD etc.. They'll all tell you if you ask them but just don't ever ask them. First thing I do with any of my brand new laptops is clone and swap out the main drive for a SSD. Warranty technically voided but I could care less because I've never used a laptop's 1 year warranty. AV receiver's on the other hand new have a 3 year warranty in the higher models. I'm just telling you so you don't tell a manufacture that you opened it up while under warranty.



Quote:
It is a 2016 model, so I probably don't have any warranty on it.
My 2016 X4300 is still under warranty.



Quote:
At this point everything works.
I understand that but everything worked before it released the magic smoke and sparks as well. Electronics work until they don't. I would not keep something with power amp's, capacitors and a transformer in my setup If it had thrown sparks and smoke at some point. The fact you can't see anything on the surface of the boards that might have triggered it is even more disturbing. I'm not an electrician(my old man was) or an engineer but I've seen everything from battery chargers to cars catch on fire before. All it takes is the wrong thing to catch a spark. I was at a bar once after work where their coffee maker shorted and quickly caught the wiring and insulation inside the wall on fire behind the bartop. Luckily the fire dept was on a call close by and got there in time. Not saying it's going to happen in your case. Just saying it could happen because I've seen it happen.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #17019 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post

That's what I think happened.

An hour later a scorpion came crawling from the same general direction.
Lord ! I thought seeing brown recluse spiders in my house in Texas was bad. You in New Mexico or Arizona?

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #17020 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Not necessarily. I opened my nad receiver to upgrade the MDC cards. I had a warranty issue a year later. NAD did not have any problems servicing my receiver. Also computers can be opened without voiding warranty. I don’t think the denon has screws that have a seal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bommai is offline  
post #17021 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
Since you stated that the button doesn't do anything, have you tried manually turning the "Tuner/Input" dial to manually get to TV Audio input?



In my experience, I was wondering why I wasn't getting any sound from my TV apps out to my speakers, and foolishly realized that there was a special input to be chosen; i.e. nothing will come out unless the proper input is selected...



I know this might be rather obvious advice, but just covering all bases and hopefully this helps...


I did try turning the dial and tv audio never showed up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #17022 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Member
 
sgunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Lord ! I thought seeing brown recluse spiders in my house in Texas was bad. You in New Mexico or Arizona?
Texas: I sucked up 6 scorpions into the central vac system over the last 2 weeks.
sgunes is offline  
post #17023 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Member
 
sgunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Not necessarily. I opened my nad receiver to upgrade the MDC cards. I had a warranty issue a year later. NAD did not have any problems servicing my receiver. Also computers can be opened without voiding warranty. I don’t think the denon has screws that have a seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Correct, I could remove the screws (3 on each side and 3 in the back) without leaving a mark and there was no "Warranty voided" type seal on them.
sgunes is offline  
post #17024 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Texas: I sucked up 6 scorpions into the central vac system over the last 2 weeks.
See, this is why I live with earthquakes here in California . The hair on my arms is still standing up thinking about finding scorpions in the house.

EDIT: And fire ant colonies in the pool pump! Holy cow! I try not to think of myself as a wimp, but sheesh!

Last edited by DougDingle; 07-05-2019 at 09:58 AM.
DougDingle is offline  
post #17025 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Member
 
sgunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
That's true with all electronics manufacturers. Removing drivers from speakers, enclosure top's from blu ray players , amp's, AV receivers and removing the back of a laptop to swap out the factory HDD for a SSD etc.. They'll all tell you if you ask them but just don't ever ask them. First thing I do with any of my brand new laptops is clone and swap out the main drive for a SSD. Warranty technically voided but I could care less because I've never used a laptop's 1 year warranty. AV receiver's on the other hand new have a 3 year warranty in the higher models. I'm just telling you so you don't tell a manufacture that you opened it up while under warranty.

My 2016 X4300 is still under warranty.

I understand that but everything worked before it released the magic smoke and sparks as well. Electronics work until they don't. I would not keep something with power amp's, capacitors and a transformer in my setup If it had thrown sparks and smoke at some point. The fact you can't see anything on the surface of the boards that might have triggered it is even more disturbing. I'm not an electrician(my old man was) or an engineer but I've seen everything from battery chargers to cars catch on fire before. All it takes is the wrong thing to catch a spark. I was at a bar once after work where their coffee maker shorted and quickly caught the wiring and insulation inside the wall on fire behind the bartop. Luckily the fire dept was on a call close by and got there in time. Not saying it's going to happen in your case. Just saying it could happen because I've seen it happen.
I know some states have enacted "Right to repair laws" due to some manufacturers forbidding consumers to repair their own products. How does that play into this situation (potential warranty voided for opening the receiver)?

Would a Denon warranty cover fried bugs/moths/scorpions? I thought they only cover manufacturer-related issues, not external or "Acts of God" issues. My swimming pool pump did not cover fire-ants building a nest in it and destroying it twice. Just wondering.

I have the Denon plugged in, it is working well and I have a smoke detectors close by. I hope I don't have to report about buying a new one if this one blows up. At least, it cannot burn down the house as I have no structural wood in it.
sgunes is offline  
post #17026 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
patoberli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Very weird (little detail) thing with my Denon X4300.
I've got an 7.1.4 setup, where the rear-high are powered with an external amp.

Attached to the Denon is a PC which has "Dolby Atmos for Hometheater" as speaker configuration. Unless there actually is an Atmos signal playing, the PC is sending a 7.1 signal to the Denon (shown like that in the Info menu).
Weird thing though, I've set my Denon to PURE mode for testing and it plays the stereo source with a correct stereo sound from the front L/R. But, now the weird part, my Atmos Rear speakers are also playing the signal (at much lower volume)?!? But none of the other surround speakers, only the Rear Atmos ones. I would expect that with some upmixer active on the Denon, but not in Pure mode.
How come?
patoberli is offline  
post #17027 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Member
 
sgunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
See, this is why I live with earthquakes here in California . The hair on my arms is still standing up thinking about finding scorpions in the house.
I'll take our scorpions any day over the earthquakes, mudslides, infernos, riots and taxes in California.
I was once stung by a scorpion (6-7 years ago) while sleeping in my bed upstairs. Like a cartoon character jumped straight up from the bed. The sting was not as bad as from hornets (who had built a nest behind the driver side rearview mirror).
While vacationing in St. John I felt something crawl on my neck (while asleep). I swiped it away, turned on the lights and it was a scorpion. I'll take a scorpion over our copperheads and rattlesnakes.
sgunes is offline  
post #17028 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
I did try turning the dial and tv audio never showed up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Well you’ve narrowed down the problem. Input has to be set to tv audio to hear the TV. What happens when you press TV audio on the remote?

What you need to do is check both the input assignments and make sure ARC is on in the video/hdmi settings.
rsonnens is offline  
post #17029 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Texas: I sucked up 6 scorpions into the central vac system over the last 2 weeks.
Wow ! I'm in North Texas myself. More family near Houston. I hate scorpions.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 07-05-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Madmax67 is offline  
post #17030 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Correct, I could remove the screws (3 on each side and 3 in the back) without leaving a mark and there was no "Warranty voided" type seal on them.


I never said there was a seal. I'm just saying don't ever tell a manufacture you removed the enclosure while under warranty. This is something they sometimes expect testers/reviewers to do and they either approve it or tell them specifically not to do it up front.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #17031 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Not necessarily. I opened my nad receiver to upgrade the MDC cards. I had a warranty issue a year later. NAD did not have any problems servicing my receiver. Also computers can be opened without voiding warranty. I don’t think the denon has screws that have a seal.
That's a modular replacement offered by NAD itself or through an authorized service center for their receiver line. They even say on their website if you do it yourself and there's an issue you're on your own. I think there's some confusion on what I was actually trying to say. All manufacturers of electronics reserve the right to refuse warranty service due to unauthorized work done by the owner. Acer told me straight out that removing the back cover and replacing the hard drive technically voided the warranty. Could I have replaced the original HDD and sent it in for a warranty claim at a later date? Probably but I wouldn't give them any indication that I had removed the thing in the first place. Loose lips sink ships and The less said the better were basically my main points.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #17032 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
Well you’ve narrowed down the problem. Input has to be set to tv audio to hear the TV. What happens when you press TV audio on the remote?

What you need to do is check both the input assignments and make sure ARC is on in the video/hdmi settings.


Nothing happens when tv audio is pressed.
Arc is on in the avr settings. What is input assignments?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #17033 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
Nothing happens when tv audio is pressed.
Arc is on in the avr settings. What is input assignments?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I’m not home right now but within settings somewhere you can check your input assignments and check to see if you’re hiding any inputs. Perhaps someone else can point you to exactly where to look.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rsonnens is offline  
post #17034 of 17255 Old 07-05-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
I know some states have enacted "Right to repair laws" due to some manufacturers forbidding consumers to repair their own products. How does that play into this situation (potential warranty voided for opening the receiver)?
As far as I'm aware that's for independent repair centers to have access to technical manuals and parts not regular consumers to make use of.



Quote:
Would a Denon warranty cover fried bugs/moths/scorpions? I thought they only cover manufacturer-related issues, not external or "Acts of God" issues. My swimming pool pump did not cover fire-ants building a nest in it and destroying it twice. Just wondering.
Probably not but you said there wasn't any sign of that when you removed the cover. You just saw the scorpion a bit later. From what you describe you see them quite often so it might just be a coincidence.



Quote:
I have the Denon plugged in, it is working well and I have a smoke detectors close by. I hope I don't have to report about buying a new one if this one blows up. At least, it cannot burn down the house as I have no structural wood in it.
I understand but wallboard and insulation can fuel an electric spark as well. Smoke detectors are meant to get you out of the house before you asphyxiate and an in wall fire might not even set them off. The last thing I'll say is main circuit breakers in a house are not instantaneously triggered. Your wall wiring has to reach a certain temperature before they kick. Their main purpose is to prevent an overload not a fire. Seems like everything is working ok now for you though and if you're not worried then that's basically the end of it. Hopefully it was a one off.
sgunes likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #17035 of 17255 Old 07-06-2019, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,992
Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
I did try turning the dial and tv audio never showed up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most likely when you first set up your X1300 you used the "HIDE" feature to hide the inputs you weren't going to use, the "TV Audio" input being one of them.

Go to INPUTS - HIDE SOURCES and select "SHOW" for the TV Audio source.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #17036 of 17255 Old 07-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Most likely when you first set up your X1300 you used the "HIDE" feature to hide the inputs you weren't going to use, the "TV Audio" input being one of them.



Go to INPUTS - HIDE SOURCES and select "SHOW" for the TV Audio source.


Thank you. This was the problem


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #17037 of 17255 Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
RobertPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Last night my X6300-H made a loud pop and then some sparks came out the top.
I had just watched a documentary at low volume, the receiver has about 8 inches of clearance at the top and it was on Auto-ECO mode.
I smelled a "burnt electronic" type smell. The top cover was barely warm.

I turned it off right away and unplugged it.

This morning I opened up the cover and couldn't see anything unusual (charred bug/moth, burnt daughterboards...).

I plugged it in and everything seems to work (FM radio, watched movie files from HTPC). I increased the volume and checked out all the loudspeakers and surprisingly everything works well.

Anything else I should do or watch out for?
(Net) filter capacitor? Check in the area of the power supply for evidence of a blown filter capacitor. These are the small capacitors, Type X2 or Y2.
sgunes likes this.
RobertPS is offline  
post #17038 of 17255 Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPS View Post
(Net) filter capacitor? Check in the area of the power supply for evidence of a blown filter capacitor. These are the small capacitors, Type X2 or Y2.
I was thinking that as well. About five years ago, I had the side of my computer tower open because I had been replacing some cards, and suddenly had the identical symptoms (loud pop followed by some smoke), and then a small capacitor that had exploded flew across the room and hit the dog in the head. All that was left on the circuit board were the two pins from it, still soldered in. The dog, being a dog, sniffed the capacitor and then ate it.
sgunes and allisonok like this.
DougDingle is offline  
post #17039 of 17255 Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Member
 
sgunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPS View Post
(Net) filter capacitor? Check in the area of the power supply for evidence of a blown filter capacitor. These are the small capacitors, Type X2 or Y2.
I couldn't see anything like that with the cover off. I looked in the vicinity of the power supply. To see everything, I would have to take off some of the daughterboards which would have definitely voided any warranty I have.
What would the consequences of blown net capacitors be?

I have been using the receiver daily since the incident and didn't notice anything different.
sgunes is offline  
post #17040 of 17255 Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Just FYI. You technically void your factory warranty when you open the receivers enclosure.
Citation needed, because the Denon warranty says no such thing.
mike.s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off