The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 576 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281256Likes

post #17251 of 17339 Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If you have selected MUSIC - STEREO, then audio should only come from the Front L/R speakers (and sub if the speakers are set to SMALL).

I set to Stereo and plays front L-R-C source is HDMI from a NVIDIA Shield or USB stick direct to the AVR, seems like anything common to L&R gets sent to Center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17252 of 17339 Old 10-17-2019, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22737 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAbby View Post
I set to Stereo and plays front L-R-C source is HDMI from a NVIDIA Shield or USB stick direct to the AVR, seems like anything common to L&R gets sent to Center.
How are you selecting the STEREO surround mode? What speakers are displayed when you select the INFO button on the remote?

Refer to post 5 and do a "soft reset". If the issue still presents, do a microprocessor reset.
post #17253 of 17339 Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
How are you selecting the STEREO surround mode? What speakers are displayed when you select the INFO button on the remote?

Refer to post 5 and do a "soft reset". If the issue still presents, do a microprocessor reset.

Wow OK, I did the info and it was showing L+R when I got on top of the speakers it really is just L+R when I'm back in the room it sounds like just the center. So are my L+R too close to each other? They are 7Ft apart and I sit about 11Ft back. Thanks for the help. Speakers are KEF Q900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17254 of 17339 Old 10-17-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAbby View Post
Wow OK, I did the info and it was showing L+R when I got on top of the speakers it really is just L+R when I'm back in the room it sounds like just the center. So are my L+R too close to each other? They are 7Ft apart and I sit about 11Ft back. Thanks for the help. Speakers are KEF Q900
Generally speaking you should be sitting in the triangle at the same distance that your left and right speakers are apart from each other.

If possible I would try putting the speakers ten feet apart and angling them in a little towards your listening position. Here is a God article on speaker placement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
AlanAbby likes this.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 10-17-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #17255 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon X4300H - chirping from speakers

This problem has been going on for awhile. Over a year now. Maybe longer. I’ve owned the receiver for 2 years. There is a chirping sound coming from 1 speaker at a time when watching anything from cable TV to PS4 movies.
It only happens when the volume is about 59. So louder volumes. And only from great sound quality movies, shows, etc. At first I thought it was my ceiling speaker & related to Dolby Atmos since the sound usually comes from the left ceiling speaker. But then I noticed it on different sound fields & with different sources.
Then I unplugged that speaker from the receiver during a scene with the chirping & it moved to another random speaker. I unplugged that speaker & it jumped to another speaker. It’s a weird chirping noise that seems to be the receiver passing on a signal it cannot handle properly. Maybe an issue with the sound processing board. The closest thing I can describe the sound as is the chirping that is output during Audyssey set up. But not exactly like that.
A few things to note:
- I’ve done factory resets & it comes back every time.
- Some movies are worse than others. Most newer blu rays are terrible with the chirping noise. Most notably Spider-Man Multiverse animated movie. Anything with a good sound track.
- It only happens at higher volumes (59+). I usually watch movies around 75.
- It happens in any sound field (Atmos, Dolby X, Pure Direct); doesn’t matter
- Does not happen with older movies or TV shows that have poor sound quality or older blu ray movies.
- Happens no matter if I’m using the PS4 for games, blu rays or watching cable TV.
I am running 7.2 surround with a fan on top of the Denon amp & I also have the front 2 speakers hooked up to an external amp.

Some speakers: Klipsch R5650 in wall, Klipsch Ref RP 450CA (center), Klipsch surround, Def Tech Di 6.5R in ceiling, towers are EmpTek 55's, 2 subs are 12". I forget the brands but common. No nicks in speaker wires.
Am I overpowering this amp? I would have never thought so.

I sent in this in to United Radio & they currently have it but cannot duplicate the issue & are ready to send it back. This is so frustrating!
Your help is so appreciated!
post #17256 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Sorry, running 9.2.
7.2 through amp & 2 channels are output to external amp.
post #17257 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix64015 View Post
This problem has been going on for awhile. Over a year now. Maybe longer. I’ve owned the receiver for 2 years. There is a chirping sound coming from 1 speaker at a time when watching anything from cable TV to PS4 movies.
It only happens when the volume is about 59. So louder volumes. And only from great sound quality movies, shows, etc. At first I thought it was my ceiling speaker & related to Dolby Atmos since the sound usually comes from the left ceiling speaker. But then I noticed it on different sound fields & with different sources.
Then I unplugged that speaker from the receiver during a scene with the chirping & it moved to another random speaker. I unplugged that speaker & it jumped to another speaker. It’s a weird chirping noise that seems to be the receiver passing on a signal it cannot handle properly. Maybe an issue with the sound processing board. The closest thing I can describe the sound as is the chirping that is output during Audyssey set up. But not exactly like that.
A few things to note:
- I’ve done factory resets & it comes back every time.
- Some movies are worse than others. Most newer blu rays are terrible with the chirping noise. Most notably Spider-Man Multiverse animated movie. Anything with a good sound track.
- It only happens at higher volumes (59+). I usually watch movies around 75.
- It happens in any sound field (Atmos, Dolby X, Pure Direct); doesn’t matter
- Does not happen with older movies or TV shows that have poor sound quality or older blu ray movies.
- Happens no matter if I’m using the PS4 for games, blu rays or watching cable TV.
I am running 7.2 surround with a fan on top of the Denon amp & I also have the front 2 speakers hooked up to an external amp.

Some speakers: Klipsch R5650 in wall, Klipsch Ref RP 450CA (center), Klipsch surround, Def Tech Di 6.5R in ceiling, towers are EmpTek 55's, 2 subs are 12". I forget the brands but common. No nicks in speaker wires.
Am I overpowering this amp? I would have never thought so.

I sent in this in to United Radio & they currently have it but cannot duplicate the issue & are ready to send it back. This is so frustrating!
Your help is so appreciated!
If the factory repair facility (ie. United Radio) tech was unable to duplicate the issue, then perhaps it's an electrical issue in your home. Are you using a UPS or power strip? If yes, take it out of the mix and plug directly to a wall outlet.
simplepinoi177 and Madmax67 like this.
post #17258 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
If the factory repair facility (ie. United Radio) tech was unable to duplicate the issue, then perhaps it's an electrical issue in your home. Are you using a UPS or power strip? If yes, take it out of the mix and plug directly to a wall outlet.
Actually yes, it is plugged into a Furman power conditioner. Rated 1800W. I also have my PS4, satelitte box and a 2 channel external amp plugged into it.
Also a powered sub plugged into it.
post #17259 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Actually yes, it is plugged into a Furman power conditioner. Rated 1800W. I also have my PS4, satelitte box and a 2 channel external amp plugged into it.
The thing I find interesting is that if you disconnect the speaker making the noise, the noise moves to another speaker. That's definitely a clue, but I have no idea what it means.

I would start by eliminating stuff: Unplug everything from the Furman, go straight into a power strip then the wall. Then unplug the powered sub, then unplug the external amp, then unplug the cable box (all one at a time). The item causing the problem does not necessarily have to be the currently selected source to cause the problem.

It sounds like some kind of oscillation, almost a feedback loop of some sort, but the source remains elusive.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by DougDingle; 10-22-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #17260 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
The thing I find interesting is that if you disconnect the speaker making the noise, the noise moves to another speaker. That's definitely a clue, but I have no idea what it means.
Agreed. I thought for the longest time it was the Def Tech speaker. It moved to a completely different speaker though. Side surround. It seems like it has to do with processing a sound/signal since its always during high quality audio. Like it cant process the signal correctly. Makes me think its whatever processes the sound in the Denon. Its a shame because I had a 988 before this and had to send it back a total of 3 times to replace 2 sound boards and something else. Gave me a bad taste for Denons even though Ive owned them for over 10 yrs now. But I bought another one and here we go again.
post #17261 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 2546
Quote:

When you get it back you'll want to hook up the fewest amount of devices as possible initially then test. A single source device to the receiver and leave out the power conditioner and the external power amp. Then add another source device and retest. Add back the external amp etc..

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #17262 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM

Good stuff here. Anything you can buy for ground noise loop isolation? The chirping happened with my old PS4 and then a new one a year ago. Ive made tons of adjustments in the Denons settings to try to avoid it but nothing has helped. Like messing around with speaker Hertz changes, Audyssey settings like MultiEq changes, putting it into Direct sound mode, PCM vs bitstream. It is in ECO mode from screen shots I have and it only starts kicking in at medium to high volumes too.
post #17263 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 PM

I will definitely try the elimination of devices. All other suggestions are appreciated as well
post #17264 of 17339 Old 10-22-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 2546
Quote:
Good stuff here. Anything you can buy for ground noise loop isolation? The chirping happened with my old PS4 and then a new one a year ago. Ive made tons of adjustments in the Denons settings to try to avoid it but nothing has helped. Like messing around with speaker Hertz changes, Audyssey settings like MultiEq changes, putting it into Direct sound mode, PCM vs bitstream. It is in ECO mode from screen shots I have and it only starts kicking in at medium to high volumes too.
The fact that it's only kicking in at higher listening levels with more lossless content and moving channels makes me think its not a 60HZ ground loop issue.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #17265 of 17339 Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The fact that it's only kicking in at higher listening levels with more lossless content and moving channels makes me think its not a 60HZ ground loop issue.
I ordered a nice Belkin power strip to replace the Furman. I see lots of bad reviews with Furman now that I'm digging deeper. They say a nice power strip is possibly better.
I'm also going to upgrade to a different stereo amp. Currently I have a Behringer A500. Any suggestions for one in the $300 range to power 2 front towers? They are empTek 55Ti speakers. Noticed a Yamaha A-S301 & Onkyo A-9110 in that range. Or a little bit more for the Denon PMA-600NE. Maybe that should be a separate thread.
Still plan on trying the process of elimination when I get it back. I asked them to do one more set of tests first.
post #17266 of 17339 Old 10-23-2019, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi, I may have a rare problem with my 6300, perhaps there is still a chance that someone in this form has an idea.
When I am performing a soft reset (unplug for a moment) the AVR partly loses its config and starts with the setup assistant (asking for language etc). Why am I doing a soft reset in the first place? After a couple days/weeks it starts to „act up“ - some HDMI sources show picture, but no sound; Spotify doesn’t work properly or the sound is strange in general. This is usually fixed by a soft reset - with the outcome described before.
I performed a factory reset and I had it in the repair shop, but they were not able to find any issue. So I guess it is most likely an interoperability issue with one of my other devices (not that the 6300 should behave like that under any circumstance).
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this or how to narrow it down?
post #17267 of 17339 Old 10-23-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermib View Post
Hi, I may have a rare problem with my 6300, perhaps there is still a chance that someone in this form has an idea.
When I am performing a soft reset (unplug for a moment) the AVR partly loses its config and starts with the setup assistant (asking for language etc). Why am I doing a soft reset in the first place? After a couple days/weeks it starts to „act up“ - some HDMI sources show picture, but no sound; Spotify doesn’t work properly or the sound is strange in general. This is usually fixed by a soft reset - with the outcome described before.
I performed a factory reset and I had it in the repair shop, but they were not able to find any issue. So I guess it is most likely an interoperability issue with one of my other devices (not that the 6300 should behave like that under any circumstance).
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this or how to narrow it down?
The most recommended way to power on the HDMI components in order to mitigate HDMI handshake issues is: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source device.

If still no joy, then sometimes doing a few (eg. 3-4) microprocessor resets in a row will resolve an issue.
simplepinoi177 likes this.
post #17268 of 17339 Old 10-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
The most recommended way to power on the HDMI components in order to mitigate HDMI handshake issues is: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source device.

If still no joy, then sometimes doing a few (eg. 3-4) microprocessor resets in a row will resolve an issue.

Thanks a lot. These are two good recommendations that I haven‘t tried yet.
I had noticed that the AVR reproducibly looses its config if its getting two PowerOn shortly in a row, when I had a config error in my Harmony. So power on sequence may be indeed something to experiment with. I have turned off all HDMI control on all devices, but wo knows...
post #17269 of 17339 Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermib View Post
Thanks a lot. These are two good recommendations that I haven‘t tried yet.
I had noticed that the AVR reproducibly looses its config if its getting two PowerOn shortly in a row, when I had a config error in my Harmony. So power on sequence may be indeed something to experiment with. I have turned off all HDMI control on all devices, but wo knows...
Also note that if working correctly, the AVR should retain any settings for at least 1-2 weeks when removed from power.
simplepinoi177 likes this.
post #17270 of 17339 Old 10-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I picked up a Monolith 200x7 power amp for a great price the other day, what would be the best pre-out setup to use with my Denon 4300?

I have a 5.1.4 setup with the Denons’ internal amps now.

Besides the LCR obviously going to the monolith, and how would I configure that in the Denon amp assign?
2 of the channels will still be powered by the Denon of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #17271 of 17339 Old 10-24-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2378 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
I picked up a Monolith 200x7 power amp for a great price the other day, what would be the best pre-out setup to use with my Denon 4300?

Besides the LCR obviously going to the monolith, and how would I configure that in the Denon amp assign?

I have a 4300. (I'm using it with an Emotiva XPA3 Gen3 to power the LCR speakers.)

You have two choices as to which pair of speakers do not use the onboard amps: the LR fronts or the rear heights. The manual isn't the clearest on that, but see page 223 of the downloadable manual ("pre-out").

Your major challenge will be deciding whether to power the front or rear Atmos speakers from the 4300.
post #17272 of 17339 Old 10-24-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post

The X4300H is a 9CH model. Unless you plan on expanding to an 11CH setup (ie. 7.2.4), you need not change the current AMP ASSIGN setting to simply add an external amp to power some of the existing speakers in your current 5.1.4 setup. With the Monolith connected, run Audyssey again to account for the difference in gain between the two models.
slapshot and Madmax67 like this.
post #17273 of 17339 Old 10-24-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I like to listen to stereo sources, i upmix em with dolby surround and
DTS neural-x. My system is 7.1.4 i mounted ceiling Atmos spkrs

Do both of these use the atmos channels ?

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #17274 of 17339 Old 10-24-2019, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

Yes; however, Dolby Surround favors the "Top XXX" speaker settings, DTS Neural:X favors the "XXX Height" speaker settings.

Although most owners will simply select one speaker configuration for both simulators, one nice feature of the new MultEQ Editor app ($20, iOS/Android) is you can use it to store a separate EQ for each configuration on your phone/tablet. Then streaming the desired configuration to the AVR takes only about 1 minute.
post #17275 of 17339 Old 10-25-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yes; however, Dolby Surround favors the "Top XXX" speaker settings, DTS Neural:X favors the "XXX Height" speaker settings.

Although most owners will simply select one speaker configuration for both simulators, one nice feature of the new MultEQ Editor app ($20, iOS/Android) is you can use it to store a separate EQ for each configuration on your phone/tablet. Then streaming the desired configuration to the AVR takes only about 1 minute.
Is there a thread with info on this app and settings.....

I found one.... i have the Denon App which is great, much easier to tweak

Last edited by kgveteran; 10-25-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #17276 of 17339 Old 10-25-2019, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a thread with info on this app and settings.....

I found one.... i have the Denon App which is great, much easier to tweak
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-pre-pros.html
post #17277 of 17339 Old 10-26-2019, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I live in the UK and I bought a couple of watt meters which arrived today. If anyone is curious as to how much power the Denon AVR-X3300W uses when on but not playing any content, it's ~42W in Eco Mode and ~75W with Eco Mode turned off. On the Denon website they mention 45W and 80W, respectively. But they're probably being a little safe with their stated figures so that nobody complains.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #17278 of 17339 Old 10-27-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Does this mean i will only be utilizing the Atmos speakers if they are setup as “Tops”
And i select DolbySurround for music, rather than “Height”

post #17279 of 17339 Old 10-27-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5025 Post(s)
Liked: 7348
Quote:
Does this mean i will only be utilizing the Atmos speakers if they are setup as “Tops”
No, it's just that there's a bit of a mess with the nomenclature of speakers with Dolby Atmos vs DTS:X . Given that there is vastly more Atmos material, most people compromise on DTS:X and designate the speakers as "Tops". The result is that DTS:X wants "Heights", which it thinks are a position between your Tops and your Fronts, so the DTS:X Height "channel" is phantom'd in to a location between your physical Top and your physical Front.

NB: This is nothing to do with the physical positions of the speakers which is very similar between both systems.

Whichever designation you choose, both systems work, but one of them get phantom'd speaker locations, and the other one gets exact speaker locations.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 10-27-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #17280 of 17339 Old 10-27-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
No, it's just that there's a bit of a mess with the nomenclature of speakers with Dolby Atmos vs DTS:X . Given that there is vastly more Atmos material, most people compromise on DTS:X and designate the speakers as "Tops". The result is that DTS:X wants "Heights", which it thinks are a position between your Tops and your Fronts, so the DTS:X Height "channel" is phantom'd in to a location between your physical Top and your physical Front.

NB: This is nothing to do with the physical positions of the speakers which is very similar between both systems.

Whichever designation you choose, both systems work, but one of them get phantom'd speaker locations, and the other one gets exact speaker locations.
Great explanation !!!!!!

Kudos
mrtickleuk likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page