The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ - Page 595 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281486Likes

post #17821 of 18055 Old 04-27-2020, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24524 Post(s)
Liked: 13764
If you feel the X3300W is unable to power the speaker setup on its own, then yes, you can connect the X3300W pre-outs to the EXT INputs on the 4806 using the X3300W as a pre/pro only. Set the volume level of the 4806 to 80/0dB and select INPUT MODE = 7.1 and then run Audyssey from the X3300W. There is no setting on the X3300W that identifies that an external amp is being used.

Also, the X3300W is discussed in the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread (linked below). Review the first 8 posts in that thread for general helpful information and post in that thread with any additional questions regarding the X3300W.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...hread-faq.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17822 of 18055 Old 04-28-2020, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
Do you have the latest firmware installed?
Yes, it does have the latest firmware.
post #17823 of 18055 Old 04-28-2020, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input. I know I'm using a fraction of the maximum power of the x3300 for most listening/viewing, but for those times when I'm turning it up or watching an action flick with a big soundtrack, I'd like the headroom of the 4806. It's never let me down in the many years I've had it, and it costs me nothing to use it, besides a bit of electricity.

Appreciate the link, lots of info to digest, and I'm sure a lot of it will make more sense as I start to play with the new features. Really curious to see the difference between Audyssey XT and XT32, especially with two subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17824 of 18055 Old 04-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
6300-Switch from Atmos surround to 2 channel

I have the Denon 6300 for my home theater. How do I switch on the fly from surround to just 2 front channels for listening to music?
post #17825 of 18055 Old 04-29-2020, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
I have the Denon 6300 for my home theater. How do I switch on the fly from surround to just 2 front channels for listening to music?
Press the Music button (Sound Mode section at bottom of remote) until you find the setting you want. It will cycle through all the available sound modes.

Denon AVR-X4300H, Mains: ESS AMT 1b, Surrounds: Polk MC80, Samsung 65H7150, Panasonic DMP-BDT270
post #17826 of 18055 Old 04-29-2020, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
Select the "STEREO" surround mode by pressing either the MOVIE, MUSIC, or GAME button (doesn't matter which) on the remote.

The X6300H also features custom "2CH Playback" settings (p. 235 Owner's manual) whereby you could set up the Front L/R speakers as LARGE with sub = No which would only apply when the STEREO surround mode is selected and would revert back to SMALL with sub = Yes when using a multi channel surround mode (eg. movies/TV).
post #17827 of 18055 Old 04-30-2020, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I am losing my mind with trying to get Atmos through Netflix on my TV app, I know they are having trouble with the firmware in general but people are still able to get it until it drops out on the TV. Am I missing something? I had it running fine and then would drop out at times but at least at some points would have it. Now I am avoiding watching stuff that has Atmos until I can watch it with it, any way that it is the receiver causing the problem? I am able to get the Atmos from the Vudu internal app which leads me to believe it is the Netflix itself. Sorry for the rant, just want to confirm it isn't this because I know that will be Sony's first suggestion.

Budget 5.2.4 setup Sony 77A9G, Denon AVR-X4300H, KEF KHT3005BL 7.1, KEF Q-300, KEF Q600C, BIC America Formula F-12, and Sony X700 4K Player

Bedroom TV Sony 52XBR4
post #17828 of 18055 Old 04-30-2020, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclellan83 View Post
I am losing my mind with trying to get Atmos through Netflix on my TV app, I know they are having trouble with the firmware in general but people are still able to get it until it drops out on the TV. Am I missing something? I had it running fine and then would drop out at times but at least at some points would have it. Now I am avoiding watching stuff that has Atmos until I can watch it with it, any way that it is the receiver causing the problem? I am able to get the Atmos from the Vudu internal app which leads me to believe it is the Netflix itself. Sorry for the rant, just want to confirm it isn't this because I know that will be Sony's first suggestion.

I don't have Netflix, but have found that TV Apps are generally junk. I found that having a media player, such as a ROKU fed into my 4300, and using the ROKU Apps solve many problems. I have no problem with Atmos through Disney+, and multi-channel audio through HULU and others. None of the TV Apps provided acceptable audio in my experience.
JJ7 and mclellan83 like this.

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receivers: Denon AVR-X4300H - 5.1.4., JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2 - Studio 590 - L&R, ES250PBK Sub, 2 - ES90 Towers - L&R surround, 2 - Studio 230 - front height, 2 - ES20 - rear height. Video production: Resolve Studio 16.1, Win 10 Pro, CPU i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16) DDR4 3200, S1H camera, GH5 camera, Zhiyun Crane 2 Gimble
post #17829 of 18055 Old 04-30-2020, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclellan83 View Post
Use a third party device (eg. Roku, Firestick, Chromcast, AppleTV. etc.) and connect it to the AVR.
JJ7 and mclellan83 like this.
post #17830 of 18055 Old 04-30-2020, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there,

I cannot add my OP from another thread as I have not yet reached 5 posts so I'll repost here.

A few months ago I found an offer for the Denon AVR-X6300H below €1300, I read several reviews and it seemed that it was one of the best receivers that allow 7.1.4 at home (11 channels) even if said model is bit old now.

Well, the fact is that it was a temporary offer so I snagged it as I did not want to miss such opportunity.

I also bought the following speaker equipment from Magnat ->

Subwoofer: Magnat Monitor Supreme 202 A

Central: Monitor Supreme Center 252

Front / Surround / Surround Back: Supreme 802 Monitor

And the following ATMOS firing up ELAC pairs -> Elac Debut A4

I know the 6300 might be overkill for that set of speakers I really wanted to avoid the use of another amp and increase the cable salad at the back of my TV rack.

For the past 5 months I have had one hell of a ride with the receiver. It has a great set of features (especially HEOS support which I have found very convenient) and above all superb all-round performance (Brothers in Arms Hybrid SACD sounds terrific in 2ch mode).

Problem is, since a couple of weeks the front right speaker and the surround right speaker have started to distort and crack at not very loud levels (-34 to -25).
They don't distort or crack at the same time as when one does it the other does not and it always happens when the movie I'm watching has deep bass.

A good example would be when the protagonists storm the enemy compound in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as in that scene there's the sound of thundering drums that are bouncing all over the speakers but it has also happened when hell breaks loose in Deepwater Horizon.

When things get hectic I suddenly start to hear either the FR or SR speakers making cracking noises and even at times they suddenly have a drop in volume that you can clearly notice like if they had fainted.

I have exchanged the cables (I use banana plugs) and swapped the speakers with others from the setup on both the FR and SR and although at first it appears as if the problem has disappeared it comes back after a few days and it's always on the same speakers, all others sound just fine. The receiver itself does not get really hot, has never shut down itself even at louder than -20 and it's plugged directly to the wall.

For the receiver setup used all the recommendations stated in the first pages of this thread (including all the pre-Audyssey calibration preparations) and like I say, if it wasn't for that cracking it all sounds great.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Defective FR and SR amps after 5 months?

All help is welcomed as I'm lost.

Thanks!
post #17831 of 18055 Old 04-30-2020, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuskito View Post
Hi there,

I cannot add my OP from another thread as I have not yet reached 5 posts so I'll repost here.

A few months ago I found an offer for the Denon AVR-X6300H below €1300, I read several reviews and it seemed that it was one of the best receivers that allow 7.1.4 at home (11 channels) even if said model is bit old now.

Well, the fact is that it was a temporary offer so I snagged it as I did not want to miss such opportunity.

I also bought the following speaker equipment from Magnat ->

Subwoofer: Magnat Monitor Supreme 202 A

Central: Monitor Supreme Center 252

Front / Surround / Surround Back: Supreme 802 Monitor

And the following ATMOS firing up ELAC pairs -> Elac Debut A4

I know the 6300 might be overkill for that set of speakers I really wanted to avoid the use of another amp and increase the cable salad at the back of my TV rack.

For the past 5 months I have had one hell of a ride with the receiver. It has a great set of features (especially HEOS support which I have found very convenient) and above all superb all-round performance (Brothers in Arms Hybrid SACD sounds terrific in 2ch mode).

Problem is, since a couple of weeks the front right speaker and the surround right speaker have started to distort and crack at not very loud levels (-34 to -25).
They don't distort or crack at the same time as when one does it the other does not and it always happens when the movie I'm watching has deep bass.

A good example would be when the protagonists storm the enemy compound in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as in that scene there's the sound of thundering drums that are bouncing all over the speakers but it has also happened when hell breaks loose in Deepwater Horizon.

When things get hectic I suddenly start to hear either the FR or SR speakers making cracking noises and even at times they suddenly have a drop in volume that you can clearly notice like if they had fainted.

I have exchanged the cables (I use banana plugs) and swapped the speakers with others from the setup on both the FR and SR and although at first it appears as if the problem has disappeared it comes back after a few days and it's always on the same speakers, all others sound just fine. The receiver itself does not get really hot, has never shut down itself even at louder than -20 and it's plugged directly to the wall.

For the receiver setup used all the recommendations stated in the first pages of this thread (including all the pre-Audyssey calibration preparations) and like I say, if it wasn't for that cracking it all sounds great.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Defective FR and SR amps after 5 months?

All help is welcomed as I'm lost.

Thanks!
Considering this is a 4 year old model, is the unit "new" or "used"?

Are all speakers set to SMALL with no lower than 80Hz crossover, but if set higher than 80Hz after Audyssey, then left at that higher setting?
post #17832 of 18055 Old 04-30-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Considering this is a 4 year old model, is the unit "new" or "used"?

Are all speakers set to SMALL with no lower than 80Hz crossover, but if set higher than 80Hz after Audyssey, then left at that higher setting?
Thanks for the prompt reply jdsmoothie!

The unit was new and sealed, speakers are set to SMALL and all tower speakers have an 80Hz crossover as recommended in the thread starter.
post #17833 of 18055 Old 04-30-2020, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply jdsmoothie!

The unit was new and sealed, speakers are set to SMALL and all tower speakers have an 80Hz crossover as recommended in the thread starter.
The AVR should have more than enough power available for those speakers, especially at the listed volume levels.

Does this issue present from all sources or just one source?

Try using the STEREO surround mode during those instances where you might hear distortion from the Front R speaker. Do you still hear it?

Refer to post 5 and do a microprocessor reset.
post #17834 of 18055 Old 05-01-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
The AVR should have more than enough power available for those speakers, especially at the listed volume levels.

Does this issue present from all sources or just one source?

Try using the STEREO surround mode during those instances where you might hear distortion from the Front R speaker. Do you still hear it?

Refer to post 5 and do a microprocessor reset.
I'll do as you say and report back later today.

Thanks!
post #17835 of 18055 Old 05-01-2020, 04:41 PM

Ok, so I had a few minutes of time today (hectic day at home) but not enough to watch the movie to try the STEREO mode.

What I noticed is that going to "Speakers" > "Levels" > "Test tone" both the FL and FR speakers are set at -5,5 but once moving through them the right one (which usually fails) does not have even remotely the same volume level as the left one and I never touched these settings. I actually have to put my ear close to the speaker to actually hear the test tone ¿?.

I'll surely have time tomorrow so let's see what the STEREO surround mode brings. Just so that we are on the same page, that mode is set by pressing the "Movie" button on the remote, am I right?
post #17836 of 18055 Old 05-01-2020, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, so I had a few minutes of time today (hectic day at home) but not enough to watch the movie to try the STEREO mode.

What I noticed is that going to "Speakers" > "Levels" > "Test tone" both the FL and FR speakers are set at -5,5 but once moving through them the right one (which usually fails) does not have even remotely the same volume level as the left one and I never touched these settings. I actually have to put my ear close to the speaker to actually hear the test tone ¿?.

I'll surely have time tomorrow so let's see what the STEREO surround mode brings. Just so that we are on the same page, that mode is set by pressing the "Movie" button on the remote, am I right?
Correct.
post #17837 of 18055 Old 05-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Big Problem after viewing setting from web browser...

I was reviewing all my settings (X2300W) from my PC browser (still trying to figure out why 4K/60Hz/HDR won't pass thru)

I clicked the line to "web setup" (or something like that) and I got the screenshot attached. The denon is now "stuck" waiting for some input.

There is no "back" button on this page!
I've tried:
1) browser back button
2) reloading the page
3) re-navigating to the IP address at which the Denon sits ... it reloads same page
4) putting denon into standby mode (off, but not unplugged)

What do I try next? Quite frustrating. It's been about 30 mins ... I would have hoped it would have timed out by now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2720446  
post #17838 of 18055 Old 05-03-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCab View Post

I was reviewing all my settings (X2300W) from my PC browser (still trying to figure out why 4K/60Hz/HDR won't pass thru)

I clicked the line to "web setup" (or something like that) and I got the screenshot attached. The denon is now "stuck" waiting for some input.

I've tried:
1) browser back button
2) reloading the page
3) re-navigating to the IP address at which the Denon sits ... it reloads same page

What do I try next? Quite frustrating. It's been about 30 mins ... I would have hoped it would have timed out by now!
Never mind... unplugging solved the problem
post #17839 of 18055 Old 05-03-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCab View Post

I've tried:
1) browser back button
2) reloading the page

Never mind... unplugging solved the problem
post #17840 of 18055 Old 05-04-2020, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For those who have a 6300 - I'm installing the latest firmware update. About how long did it take to download and fully update? It looks like the download was pretty fast, but it's been a couple of hours at least where it's been at Download >>> 100%.

EDIT: Nevermind! Read some of the first posts and just followed JD's info. Just unplugged it and gave it a moment, then when I plugged it back in, it finished the update.

Last edited by trespoochies; 05-04-2020 at 12:45 PM.
post #17841 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Pulling apart the remote

Silly question. I've got an X3300W. Some of the buttons on the remote are sticking (mostly the volume buttons) and I'd like to take it apart and clean it. HOW?? lol. I took the screw out of the back, but I can't seem to pull the case apart without mangling it. I'm hoping there are some tricks or just something I'm overlooking. A good cleaning is just what it needs.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #17842 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Silly question. I've got an X3300W. Some of the buttons on the remote are sticking (mostly the volume buttons) and I'd like to take it apart and clean it. HOW?? lol. I took the screw out of the back, but I can't seem to pull the case apart without mangling it. I'm hoping there are some tricks or just something I'm overlooking. A good cleaning is just what it needs.
They are just pressed together. With whatever screws removed. It will come. A tool kit like this one comes in handy all the time around the house. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #17843 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
They are just pressed together. With whatever screws removed. It will come. A tool kit like this one comes in handy all the time around the house.
Like I said, silly question. I've opened many, many remotes throughout the years, but I don't see how to open this one without mangling the sides. The shell is pressed together very tightly, and I can't even get a knife in between. I tried forcing a very small jewelers screwdriver but all it did was knock a chunk out of the plastic without budging the two halves. I've tried pulling them apart with my hands but no love there either. If theres no trick to it, I'll just have to notch out more of the plastic with the jewellers screwdriver until I can fit a bigger flathead in there. It'll mangle the sides but if there's no way around it, what can ya do?

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #17844 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked: 9026
Quote:
Like I said, silly question. I've opened many, many remotes throughout the years, but I don't see how to open this one without mangling the sides. The shell is pressed together very tightly, and I can't even get a knife in between. I tried forcing a very small jewelers screwdriver but all it did was knock a chunk out of the plastic without budging the two halves. I've tried pulling them apart with my hands but no love there either. If theres no trick to it, I'll just have to notch out more of the plastic with the jewellers screwdriver until I can fit a bigger flathead in there. It'll mangle the sides but if there's no way around it, what can ya do?
It is frustrating because you really need to see where the fixing lugs are in advance to know where to put a screwdriver in and twist. I did this with my TiVo "peanut" remote and when I'd opened it, I marked on the sides where the lugs were to make it easier to open next time!

That's a really awful youtube video IMHO - considering the title is "how to open and repair a TV remote control", it doesn't show how to open, and it doesn't show how to repair! . It shows a "keystone cops", ham-fisted, speeded up attempt at someone doing a really bad job and wrecking their remote to get it open, along with really inappropriate music. Everything that should be done slowly and clearly is done artificially speeded up and very not clearly! But it's the sort of thing you do.

(Probably just an example that was found quickly, of course)

That kit linked to on Amazon is great - I'd want just the one or two plastic screwdriver-like curvy shims, but you never see them sold separately only in kits like that with hundreds of "bits" which I already have anyway
Lonewolf7002 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-06-2020 at 08:41 AM.
post #17845 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
It is frustrating because you really need to see where the fixing lugs are in advance to know where to put a screwdriver in and twist. I did this with my TiVo "peanut" remote and when I'd opened it, I marked on the sides where the lugs were to make it easier to open next time!
It's not even that I want to see where the fixing lugs are to best put a screwdriver in, I just can't get a screwdriver in, period! There's no space for it. I can't even fit an exacto knife in there. The seams are tight. I can't feel an edge running my fingers across it. It's as smooth as a babys bottom lol. I managed to get the tiniest jewellers screwdriver in when I forced it into the edge, but all it did was pit the plastic, can't get in far enough to try to pry. I'd have to dig chunks of plastic out to be able to get something bigger in there.

All I want to do is clean my remote haha! It should be such a simple thing!

EDIT: well, it's apart. Just, uh, don't look at the front corner. Ya, ignore that part, k?
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by Lonewolf7002; 05-06-2020 at 08:44 AM.
post #17846 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
EDIT: well, it's apart. Just, uh, don't look at the front corner. Ya, ignore that part, k?
ok! But (if it's not too late) try to take pictures of both halves with it open for future reference. May even help another user here if you shared them
Lonewolf7002 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17847 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I gotta say the Denon receiver app has the best remote control volume i have ever used, its the bomb!
post #17848 of 18055 Old 05-06-2020, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
post #17849 of 18055 Old 05-07-2020, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome, thanks! That doesn't ship to the UK but now that I have learned the wonderful word "spudger", and your search term "small pry tool" I've found a very nice equivalent here. Thanks
MRAYB likes this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-07-2020 at 04:21 AM.
post #17850 of 18055 Old 05-07-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Correct.
So, I finally got around to checking this.

When using the Multi-Ch STEREO mode I got no cracking or sudden drop of volume but oddly I played that scene back again in ATMOS and I did not get the cracking either (played it at about the same volume as last time). I did not mention it but the receiver ECO MODE is on and on auto atm, I'm not sure if that would have something to do with it.

I'll have another try this evening if I have time and if it comes back, I'll try changing sources.

Last edited by Chuskito; 05-07-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
6300h , 6400h , 6500h , arc , atmos , avr , avr-3300 , AVR-x2300W , avr-x3300w , connection , Denon , denon 3300 , denon avr x2300w , denon avr-x1300w , dlna , hdmi , issue , JS8500 , media player input , multi-zone , network , nexus player , OLED65E6P , pass-through , preamp , receiver problem , slingbox m1 , smart tv arc , spdif , speaker setup , video/audio , x4300h , x6300h , xbr-65x900e , zone 2 , zone 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page