AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   The "OFFICIAL" 2016 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2444306-official-2016-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owners-thread-faq.html)

rsonnens 08-31-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsonnens (Post 58495180)
OK for some unknown reason audio is now coming via optical and not ARC. I can’t figure our why. I’ve tried playing from the TV side. At least I’m glad I was dual wired for audio (arc and optical.)

I guess I’m going to give up on ARC for now and just use optical. I only used are for the volume indicator on the TV anyway! Just tell my wife to always look at the AVR when using the volume. I ‘ve reprogrammed the two remotes.

Nothing’s changed in my system other than firmware updates. If I have more time I’ll try unplugging/replugging devices and various resets but it’s probably not worth the hassle.

Ok. So now I need help here. I’ve finally tracked down that the volume commands are going from the TV to re AVR but the are controlling the volume in “zone 2”. But I down have a “zone 2” set up. I noticed this after doing a microprocessor reset and somehow zone two got turned on.

So how can I make the volume command over Hdmi-CEC go to zone 1? If I turn off zone two it does not send the command to Zone 1?

rsonnens 08-31-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsonnens (Post 58496600)
Ok. So now I need help here. I’ve finally tracked down that the volume commands are going from the TV to re AVR but the are controlling the volume in “zone 2”. But I down have a “zone 2” set up. I noticed this after doing a microprocessor reset and somehow zone two got turned on. .......

Ok, I fixed the zone 2 thing but I am back where I started. Somehow zone 2 audio got turned on from the TV thru the Remote for the TV that was able to control the options menu—I did this by mistake probably at some point. Then all commands were sent as if only to zone 2 (volume and input switching!). I disabled zone 2 via the options menu on the remote, unplugged all the devices from the TV. Reset the microprocessor on the denon 3 times in a row..... plugged everything back in, re-added the Denon to my TV UI and configured for CEC and hdmi/optical audio and....

The remote from the TV/harmony acts again as it did in my first post. It does not control the denon but it thinks it is.

The only thing I have not done is a full reset on the TV. That is very painful because I can’t save/restore those settings and it remains settings per input*video mode (DV/sdr/HDR10). It is a ton of setting to have to reset. I guess that is next.

Edit: I’ve now done a full TV reset. No change in symptoms. I guess i’ll Just forgo ARC—which as mentioned I only use to control volume on my ATV to get me an onscreen volume indicator for DV material...I don’t really use it for passing audio. Really at this point all I can point to is the firmware update. So I would be interested if people see any CEC/arc changes with the new firmware.

jhachey 09-03-2019 07:52 PM

AVR-4300 Not Responding to Remote Controls

My AVR-4300 is not responding to any of my remote controls (Denon, Harmony, Xfinity). This is a new problem as of tonight. I have had the AVR for nearly two years and it has been flawless. I cleaned the area that is the target for the remotes (it seemed clean, but hey, gotta try something) and also did three microprocessor resets. Still nothing.

Happily, the AVR still responds to the Denon app on my Android phone, so I can control it that way. And the configuration save/load works, so I'm thankful for that.

Anyone else ever had a similar problem? Suggestions? I guess, if nothing else, it's under warranty.

There used to be an authorized Denon repair store in our area, but it went out of business a few years ago, so I imagine repairs means shipping the AVR somewhere and losing it for a few weeks.

Agent 7100 09-03-2019 09:02 PM

X1300w

no longer loads internet radio... just falls back to Favorites after some time - I did a full Denon reset but still same!
All else is working fine like loading Netflix..

is there a known problem with radio?

jdsmoothie 09-04-2019 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent 7100 (Post 58510258)
X1300w

no longer loads internet radio... just falls back to Favorites after some time - I did a full Denon reset but still same!
All else is working fine like loading Netflix..

is there a known problem with radio?

Refer to post 5 and do a "Network reset."

jdsmoothie 09-04-2019 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhachey (Post 58510052)
My AVR-4300 is not responding to any of my remote controls (Denon, Harmony, Xfinity). This is a new problem as of tonight. I have had the AVR for nearly two years and it has been flawless. I cleaned the area that is the target for the remotes (it seemed clean, but hey, gotta try something) and also did three microprocessor resets. Still nothing.

Happily, the AVR still responds to the Denon app on my Android phone, so I can control it that way. And the configuration save/load works, so I'm thankful for that.

Anyone else ever had a similar problem? Suggestions? I guess, if nothing else, it's under warranty.

There used to be an authorized Denon repair store in our area, but it went out of business a few years ago, so I imagine repairs means shipping the AVR somewhere and losing it for a few weeks.

Ensure the main zone is selected on the remote. Try replacing the batteries.

As a microprocessor reset has not resolved the issue, warranty repair is your next option.

Note that although costing more to ship it across the country, shipping to the factory repair facility, United Radio, Syracuse, NY will generally result in a much quicker turn around time.

jhachey 09-04-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58510824)
Ensure the main zone is selected on the remote. Try replacing the batteries.

As a microprocessor reset has not resolved the issue, warranty repair is your next option.

Note that although costing more to ship it across the country, shipping to the factory repair facility, United Radio, Syracuse, NY will generally result in a much quicker turn around time.

The remote is set to Main and the batteries are fine. And it's not just one remote, it's failing with three different remotes (Denon, Harmony, and Comcast/Xfinity).

The AVR will occasionally respond to the volume commands of the Xfinity remote if I just press and hold the volume button. I think the Xfinity remote resends commands very frequently, as it has always had an annoying habit of shooting the volume up or down way too fast. Now when I squeeze and hold the button, it goes up a half-step at a time, if it goes up at all.

The AVR does not respond at all to the Denon or Harmony remotes.

Anyway, I left the receiver unplugged overnight and then did three more microprocessor resets this morning, so I guess calling Denon for warranty service is the next step.

Sigh...

Pip 09-04-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhachey (Post 58511912)
The remote is set to Main and the batteries are fine. And it's not just one remote, it's failing with three different remotes (Denon, Harmony, and Comcast/Xfinity).

The AVR will occasionally respond to the volume commands of the Xfinity remote if I just press and hold the volume button. I think the Xfinity remote resends commands very frequently, as it has always had an annoying habit of shooting the volume up or down way too fast. Now when I squeeze and hold the button, it goes up a half-step at a time, if it goes up at all.

The AVR does not respond at all to the Denon or Harmony remotes.

Anyway, I left the receiver unplugged overnight and then did three more microprocessor resets this morning, so I guess calling Denon for warranty service is the next step.

Sigh...

If it’s responding to the Denon app on your phone, that indicates IP control is working, but there’s a problem with the IR sensor in the Denon.

I don’t know which harmony remote you have, but if you have any of the hub based remotes, they may be able to control the Denon over IP.

Good luck,

Pip

Agent 7100 09-04-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58510812)
Refer to post 5 and do a "Network reset."

Just tried again this morning and internet radio sound is back after 2 days being mute!
Okay, thanks!

mmcxiad 09-04-2019 07:47 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before.... searching through 573 pages isn’t always easy.

I have a denon x3300w. It has worked well and never had any issue. Lately i upgraded my speakers to Kef Q350 (L&R), Q650 (Cen) and Q150 (rear). Since doing so, sometimes the audio will cut out for about one second then comes back in. It is annoying at best.

Prior to upgrading the speakers, this has never happened before.

I have noticed that i need the volume up a little higher then before upgrading to get the same relative sound level. I am assuming that these speakers need a little more power to perform.

Any advice on what can I do to prevent the audio dropping out?

Agent 7100 09-04-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcxiad (Post 58514674)

IF you use a TOSlink cable to the AV/TV make sure you clean the optical plugs when this happens - this usually fix the issue for me. I do this when seasons change hence room temperatures changes significantly.

mmcxiad 09-04-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent 7100 (Post 58514728)
IF you use a TOSlink cable to the AV/TV make sure you clean the optical plugs when this happens - this usually fix the issue for me. I do this when seasons change hence room temperatures changes significantly.

No toslink. I have a HDMI 2.0 cable from my LG OLED 4K tv to the denon x3300w

jdsmoothie 09-04-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcxiad (Post 58514674)
Sorry if this has been asked before.... searching through 573 pages isn’t always easy.

I have a denon x3300w. It has worked well and never had any issue. Lately i upgraded my speakers to Kef Q350 (L&R), Q650 (Cen) and Q150 (rear). Since doing so, sometimes the audio will cut out for about one second then comes back in. It is annoying at best.

Prior to upgrading the speakers, this has never happened before.

I have noticed that i need the volume up a little higher then before upgrading to get the same relative sound level. I am assuming that these speakers need a little more power to perform.

Did you run Audyssey again as required? Try disconnecting and reconnecting the speaker wire at both ends.

mmcxiad 09-04-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58514742)
Did you run Audyssey again as required? Try disconnecting and reconnecting the speaker wire at both ends.

Yes I reran audyssey. I also checked all the speaker wires... i will check that again tomorrow when my wife isn’t asleep. Assuming it isn’t either of those, anything else it could be?

jdsmoothie 09-04-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcxiad (Post 58514756)
Yes I reran audyssey. I also checked all the speaker wires... i will check that again tomorrow when my wife isn’t asleep. Assuming it isn’t either of those, anything else it could be?

Defective amp.

mmcxiad 09-04-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58514784)
Defective amp.

I am hoping that isn’t the case. :(

Could it be that at higher power output it is clipping? I don’t think I am pushing it that hard... typically only up to 65 on the volume level. (Not the negative one)

jdsmoothie 09-04-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcxiad (Post 58514802)
I am hoping that isn’t the case. :(

Could it be that at higher power output it is clipping? I don’t think I am pushing it that hard... typically only up to 65 on the volume level. (Not the negative one)

Nope.

mmcxiad 09-04-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58514814)
Nope.

Well, I’ll check the speaker wire tomorrow. So i am checking correctly, i need to verify that the positive and negative are not getting reversed somewhere in the connection and that the wires all have a good connection. Anything else I am missing?

jdsmoothie 09-04-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcxiad (Post 58514842)
Well, I’ll check the speaker wire tomorrow. So i am checking correctly, i need to verify that the positive and negative are not getting reversed somewhere in the connection and that the wires all have a good connection. Anything else I am missing?

+/- crossing wouldn't cause the issue. Does the issue present with every source or just one source (eg. cable TV)? If just cable TV, could be a problem with the channel transmission. Does the issue present in every speaker or just one speaker? Could be a defective speaker.

drh3b 09-04-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcxiad (Post 58514842)

If it's cutting out, it may have a strand of speaker wire touching the case, causing to short out occasionally, but it sounds like you checked for that. Or even one strand touching the wrong terminal at the speaker or receiver.
It won't affect the amp if you have the wires crossed as far as plus minus, that will only affect the sound of the speakers.
Good connection, no random wire strands possibly touching things are what you are looking for. If all of that checks out, I'd be suspicious of the speakers since that is when it started. Do you still have the old speakers, and are able to double check to see if it happens with them?

mmcxiad 09-04-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58514862)
+/- crossing wouldn't cause the issue. Does the issue present with every source or just one source (eg. cable TV)? If just cable TV, could be a problem with the channel transmission. Does the issue present in every speaker or just one speaker? Could be a defective speaker.

All speakers seem to go out. And it affects all sources. I have another set of speakers I can try to see about ruling things out

Nathan_R 09-06-2019 01:15 PM

I moved this summer and lost the box that contains my Audyssey mic for the x6300. Sigh. Can someone tell me what part number that mic is?

MRAYB 09-06-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan_r (Post 58522882)
i moved this summer and lost the box that contains my audyssey mic for the x6300. Sigh. Can someone tell me what part number that mic is?

ACM-1HB...Search this thread. Took two seconds:). Like JD said "same since 2010"

jdsmoothie 09-06-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan_R (Post 58522882)
I moved this summer and lost the box that contains my Audyssey mic for the x6300. Sigh. Can someone tell me what part number that mic is?

Lots of very helpful information has been provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include a section on Audyssey in post 3 item 1(a) which specifically lists the mic model that MRAYB just listed.

Agent 7100 09-14-2019 07:05 PM

Internet Radio unreliable!

... frequently down due to not loading at all like one day radio loads, next day nothing hence falling back to Favorites.
I read Yamaha has changed firmware to drop vTuner.. what is Denon offering to their customers?

Just printing in the manual 'radio service can discontinue any time' is a little too easy when people paid big bux for the receiver especially in Australia. Perhaps we can get a firmware update too?!

I know in the USA vTuner wants $3 for continuing service but what's about Ostraya? left hanging in the lurch?

whadaya gunna do?

jdsmoothie 09-14-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent 7100 (Post 58558852)
Internet Radio unreliable!

... frequently down due to not loading at all like one day radio loads, next day nothing hence falling back to Favorites.
I read Yamaha has changed firmware to drop vTuner.. what is Denon offering to their customers?

Just printing in the manual 'radio service can discontinue any time' is a little too easy when people paid big bux for the receiver especially in Australia. Perhaps we can get a firmware update too?!

I know in the USA vTuner wants $3 for continuing service but what's about Ostraya? left hanging in the lurch?

whadaya gunna do?

Beginning with the release of the newer HEOS models, vTuner has been replaced with TuneIn.

Agent 7100 09-14-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58559314)
Beginning with the release of the newer HEOS models, vTuner has been replaced with TuneIn.

you suggest me to buy a newer Denon AV?! I do but not a Denon any more :wink:

whitehat20 09-15-2019 11:26 PM

I attempted to update my X1300W's firmware yesterday. The update dialog got stuck on "Authenticating..." for almost an hour so I power cycled the receiver. Unfortunately it now appears to be stuck in an update loop I can't break out of. I've tried various reset methods with different button sequences, to no avail. Even tried a USB firmware recovery using firmware I found on the firmware.denon.eu, but the receiver always throws an error saying the firmware wasn't found (the receiver was bought in the US, if that matters). Any thoughts on how to recover or reset my receiver?

jdsmoothie 09-16-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitehat20 (Post 58563512)
I attempted to update my X1300W's firmware yesterday. The update dialog got stuck on "Authenticating..." for almost an hour so I power cycled the receiver. Unfortunately it now appears to be stuck in an update loop I can't break out of. I've tried various reset methods with different button sequences, to no avail. Even tried a USB firmware recovery using firmware I found on the firmware.denon.eu, but the receiver always throws an error saying the firmware wasn't found (the receiver was bought in the US, if that matters). Any thoughts on how to recover or reset my receiver?

There's a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread, to include information on firmware updates in post 6 and what to do when stuck on "authenticating".

mappetti 09-19-2019 10:01 AM

Is there a way to increase the volume of the center channel speaker on the Denon AVR-X3200W?
Tanks in advance.
Vhs