Smyth Realiser A16 - 3D headphone processor - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 62 Old 04-26-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez176 View Post
I believe all ports are 2.0a which gives full HDR support

Nice!! It was only planned to have one HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 and the rest were HDMI 1.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Yes, the reason is they didn't design the digital board - the HDMI board comes from MDS and until recently they didn't have a hdmi2.0a compatible board. They only had ones handling HDMI 1.4 (and thus hdmi2.0 via a hack).

I was inquiring about hdmi2.0a support a few months ago so that's how I know the HDMI board is a separate product. I had wondered since HDMI 1.4 would seem quite backwards for a product released today.
Stevez176 and Woof Woof like this.
post #33 of 62 Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
The purpose of this technology is to allow playing any new content through it and have it duplicate how this new content would have sounded to you had you actually been back in that very room and in that very same chair and listening to this new content through those very same real speakers, instead of now listening to this new content through the Realiser and headphones and the Realiser's ability to use a digital PRIR/HPEQ set of filters to magically make this happen.

The optimal PRIR is measured through your own ears, and describes the room as heard by your ear/brain hearing system, which was affected by your seating location, speaker placement around you, equipment and electronics being used, floor/wall/ceiling baffles and treatments, etc.. The calibration microphones allow precise capturing of how your own unique ears and brain and skull process sound, as heard uniquely by you. The separately measured HPEQ (for a given headphone/amp) similarly describes how that particular headphone setup sounds to your ear/brain hearing system for all frequencies.

By combining the measurements digitally captured in both the PRIR and HPEQ and using them "in reverse", the Realiser can now play any new content back through those headphones and PRIR/HPEQ combination to produce the illusion for your ear/brain hearing system as if you were listening to that new content in the very original room described by the PRIR. This is the purpose and goal of the technology, to DUPLICATE the sound of a real room as it was heard by you through real speakers, but instead now using headphones, for any new content played back through the technology. That room can be good or bad or great or average, and the Realiser will DUPLICATE it. That's its job.

There really is only one right way for the digital representation of any particular unique listening environment to be properly created for your particular unique hearing system, and that is to have YOU go to THAT ROOM and sit for a "measurement" and come away with a unique PRIR file that digitally describes how that room sounded to your hearing system.

If you use somebody else's PRIR that was measured uniquely for them in some listening environment, by definition this really has to be less than optimal ideal. We all hear slightly differently, same as we get uniquely measured for prescription eyeglasses. You want to borrow somebody else's prescription eyeglasses? Can you even have an expectation that your seeing will be helped? It's probably not going to be as good as having your own custom-measured prescription eyeglasses, I think you'll agree.

Is borrowing a PRIR really the same as borrowing someone else's prescription eyeglasses? I can't really say. Does it "work"? Probably. Does it sound "great"? Probably not. And yet there is a sharing mentality in this user community suggesting it can really be done, although I myself don't participate and personally don't buy into the whole premise.

Trust me, you will never obtain maximum optimal results and enjoyment from this Realiser technology unless you are using a PRIR/HPEQ that has genuinely been custom measured for you and your own ears at a real listening environment. Same as with prescription eyeglasses. Anything else is bound to be sub-par, although "who knows how it will sound to you" and whether you will feel it to be "acceptable"?

And again, if you create a PRIR in an ordinary room with ordinary equipment that sounds pretty ordinary to you when sitting in that room, the Realiser will do nothing more than "duplicate" that same original true ordinary sound through headphones. It does not "improve" or "optimize" or magically produce the sound of a million dollar recording studio. It's job is to DUPLICATE the listening environment in which that PRIR was captured, and if it does that then it is working 100% perfectly.
It seems like there are two sets of data at play.

The first is the measurement of how you hear, which is obtained from sticking the microphones in your ears. This is the personalized part.

The second is the measurement of how a particular room and set of speakers sound, this seems like it should not have to be personalized, it could be obtained through a mic at a set position in that room.

By taking the data from the room/speaker measurements and filtering it through the lens of the personalized ear measurements, why wouldn't it be possible to recreate what it would sound like if you had actually been measured in that room? From reading on the Kickstarter page, it sounds like that's something they're going for as an option with this.

Taking it a step further it seems like it could be possible to even split it up into three parts: your own ear measurements, measurements of particular sets of speakers captured anechoically, and measurements of various rooms.

That would really be the ultimate application for this tech - an automated calibration that measures your own ears/head-related-transfer-function, and can then apply that to any set of virtual speaker and rooms you want to lay on top of it.

For example, you could measure your own hearing/head response, then download speaker data files to create a virtual surround system of B&W 802 D3s, Focal Utopias, Magnepan 20.7s, JL Gothams, or whatever other speakers/subs were in the database, then download the room response file for Skywalker Ranch's Stag Theater, the El Capitan, or whatever other room/theater you wanted, and have the Smyth unit apply the proper algorithms to make it sound like you're there listening to those speakers in that setting.

It doesn't sound like it's quite there yet, but possibly moving in that direction, and certainly pretty cool even where it is right now.
Stevez176 and theoldhenk like this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 62 Old 04-27-2017, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
The first is the measurement of how you hear, which is obtained from sticking the microphones in your ears. This is the personalized part.

The second is the measurement of how a particular room and set of speakers sound, this seems like it should not have to be personalized, it could be obtained through a mic at a set position in that room.

By taking the data from the room/speaker measurements and filtering it through the lens of the personalized ear measurements, why wouldn't it be possible to recreate what it would sound like if you had actually been measured in that room? From reading on the Kickstarter page, it sounds like that's something they're going for as an option with this.

Taking it a step further it seems like it could be possible to even split it up into three parts: your own ear measurements, measurements of particular sets of speakers captured anechoically, and measurements of various rooms.

That would really be the ultimate application for this tech - an automated calibration that measures your own ears/head-related-transfer-function, and can then apply that to any set of virtual speaker and rooms you want to lay on top of it.

For example, you could measure your own hearing/head response, then download speaker data files to create a virtual surround system of B&W 802 D3s, Focal Utopias, Magnepan 20.7s, JL Gothams, or whatever other speakers/subs were in the database, then download the room response file for Skywalker Ranch's Stag Theater, the El Capitan, or whatever other room/theater you wanted, and have the Smyth unit apply the proper algorithms to make it sound like you're there listening to those speakers in that setting.

It doesn't sound like it's quite there yet, but possibly moving in that direction, and certainly pretty cool even where it is right now.
I believe your thoughts here are absolutely on target, as to how the math behind all of this really works and what the true potential is for creation of a PRIR from its underlying fundamental raw elements.

While the current "analog" method of PRIR creation is derived from the sum total of how the calibration microphones "hear" the sound of the room and speakers and equipment, as interpreted by your own head and ears, in truth there really are those three separate and discrete components working together for what makes up this single "analog" result:

(a) your own hearing/head response to any sound, which is truly unique to you (i.e. your hearing "corrective prescription ear-glasses", giving you "20-20 reference hearing" no matter what your auditory characteristics are)

(b) the "pure" anechoic characteristics of the electronics, cabling and speakers which are reproducing the sounds you are hearing, and

(c) the "colored" characteristics of the listening environment room/theater/auditorium, its size and shape, floor, wall and ceiling materials and treatments, sound baffles, horizontal/vertical speaker placement around the listening chair location position, etc.

I think you're absolutely right, that the above three "independent tracks" obtained separately and uniquely can be "mixed together" digitally, producing a PRIR that reflects precisely how you and your own head/ears WOULD HAVE HEARD sound from those electronics and speakers, in that listening room environment, if you had actually been there with calibration microphones in your ears and created a PRIR the old fashioned "analog" way.

Seems completely plausible that (b) and (c) can be "acquired" or bought, independently, and then "mixed" together with (a) your own "prescription ear-glasses lens filter" that is the precise description of your own personal auditory hearing system. Voila! A PRIR is born for you.

The math involved in a PRIR clearly makes this possible. I had Smyth correct my AIX 7.1 PRIR, because Lorr had mistakenly set one of the speaker angles incorrectly in the A8 Realiser setup prior to my calibration session. He keeps his own personal copy of the PRIR's he measures for people, and in reviewing it noticed that one of the speakers was set wrong. In theory, the "playback" through this PRIR would have simulated that speaker at the incorrect virtual location. Smyth was able to "reverse out" the mathematical effect of the incorrect speaker angle setting in the PRIR, accomplishing a "virtual relocation" of the speaker over to where it really was relative to where I was sitting. So now sound coming from that "virtual speaker" in my headphones appeared to be coming at me from the proper angle. Amazing! PRIR post-processing.

It's completely reasonable that the above three "tracks" could similarly be captured separately, mixed together, and even manipulated as desired or required (e.g. as is already possible playing back through a given PRIR, to add or remove "room reverb" as desired or required).
Stevez176 likes this.
post #35 of 62 Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Does it measure the frequency response from user's headphone? Reason I'm asking if I'm using HifiMan headphone instead of Stax, will it sound the same?
post #36 of 62 Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, you also use the in ear microphones for headphone calibration
post #37 of 62 Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1917399

HDMI 2.0b

Dolby Vision HLG HDR passthrough

On all inputs

NICE
Stevez176 likes this.
post #38 of 62 Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And the ability to do 7.1.6 and possibly 9.1.2 for the Atmos/DTS:X decoding. Selectable, if you want wides over heights or more heights.
Stevez176 and WiseOwlFinds like this.
post #39 of 62 Old 06-21-2017, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
And the ability to do 7.1.6 and possibly 9.1.2 for the Atmos/DTS:X decoding. Selectable, if you want wides over heights or more heights.
As a Kickstarter backer I can't wait for its release, this is going to be so awesome.
Stevez176 likes this.

Projector: Epson LS10000 + Elite Screens 135 Inch AVR: Yamaha RX-A3050 Media Players: Oppo 103D / Dune HD SOLO 4K NAS: Synology 3615xs (106TB) 7.2.4 Speakers: JTR Triple 8 (x3) (FL, FR, Center) / JTR Slanted 8 (x4) (SL, SR, SBL, SBR) / Polk Audio OWM3 (x4) (Front & Rear Heights) / Sony MDR-HW700DS Headphones (x4) / Rythmik FV15HP Powered Subwoofer (x2) / Crowson Shadow-8 Dual Motion Actuator (T108SS) (x4) + ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amplifier (x2) / Emotiva Amplifier/ D-Box System
post #40 of 62 Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just wish it had the option to do full balanced outs
post #41 of 62 Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
Couldn't that be done via an adapter or something?

Projector: Epson LS10000 + Elite Screens 135 Inch AVR: Yamaha RX-A3050 Media Players: Oppo 103D / Dune HD SOLO 4K NAS: Synology 3615xs (106TB) 7.2.4 Speakers: JTR Triple 8 (x3) (FL, FR, Center) / JTR Slanted 8 (x4) (SL, SR, SBL, SBR) / Polk Audio OWM3 (x4) (Front & Rear Heights) / Sony MDR-HW700DS Headphones (x4) / Rythmik FV15HP Powered Subwoofer (x2) / Crowson Shadow-8 Dual Motion Actuator (T108SS) (x4) + ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amplifier (x2) / Emotiva Amplifier/ D-Box System
post #42 of 62 Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
Optical out of A16 feeding external DAC (of my own choice) with balanced outputs, which feeds the headphone amp. Perfectly acceptable cost-effective decision. For example, the Oppo 05 vs. 03 player options differ by $700, with or without high-end DAC and XLR.

Given potential A16 cost impact and overall flexibility and options, I'd rather avoid the likely price of an audiophile DAC and increased physical size for the XLR components in the A16. With my A8 today I feed my own external Audio-GD NFB9 DAC via optical, which then feeds XLR to my Stax SRM-007Tii amp. With my upcoming new second location A16 I will be using a new Oppo Sonica DAC (SDAC-3), again fed via optical from the A16.
post #43 of 62 Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not for the headphone out

But as an alternative for my Marantz AV8802A
post #44 of 62 Old 06-21-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are I think 16 analog inputs and 16 analog outputs... I wonder if they can be used for Atmos out. If you don't want to use the headphones ...
post #45 of 62 Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 PM
S00

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
There are I think 16 analog inputs and 16 analog outputs... I wonder if they can be used for Atmos out. If you don't want to use the headphones ...
I'm new here. I saw your question just now. Since you posted it 3 months ago chances are you know the answer by now but I'll give the answer anyway:
The Realiser A16 will have an AV amp mode in which it can function as a surround processor pre-amp.
You will be able to set 32 band parametric EQ (PEQ), level and delay for all channels, and assign one of the 2 headphone volume knobs to do the master volume.
The only thing missing (I think, although I hope not) will be automatic setting of PEQs, levels and delays, so you will have to figure out a way to set them yourself.
post #46 of 62 Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
Are these available for purchase or pre order?
post #47 of 62 Old 02-21-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Are these available for purchase or pre order?
Nope, still waiting on my Kickstarter unit.
nathan_h likes this.

post #48 of 62 Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlFinds View Post
Nope, still waiting on my Kickstarter unit.
A friend forwarded this to me:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smyth.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	2364906  
nathan_h likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #49 of 62 Old 12-08-2018, 12:39 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Just wondering if there was any further information on pre-ordering after the kick start program ended. Also any further information on using other’s listening environments.
post #50 of 62 Old 12-08-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Just wondering if there was any further information on pre-ordering after the kick start program ended. Also any further information on using other’s listening environments.
???? Is there any further information on anything?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #51 of 62 Old 12-08-2018, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
???? Is there any further information on anything?
The last update from Smyth was in November. Still no shipping date. They haven’t even submitted for Dolby certification yet. If I had to guess best case is that it’s at least March until they ship anything.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro
Displays: LG OLED55C6,
Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Sold Off: Apple TV 4K, TCL P605 55", Amazon Fire TV 4k
post #52 of 62 Old 05-30-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 639
post #53 of 62 Old 05-31-2019, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The last update was earlier this week - they are submitting new firmware that fixes issues Dolby found during certification.
mikela likes this.
post #54 of 62 Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting news... Dolby Atmos certification passed, so they're going to be shipping like that.

DTS X support to be added as a future firmware update once certified.

But an interesting thing that was never mentioned. - Auro 3D support, once certified as well! Would be interesting to try, I suppose.
mikela likes this.
post #55 of 62 Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey boys and gals. Wake up! I hope you’ve behaved yourselves over the last 2 ½ years. Santa Smyth is preparing to deliver your new Realiser A16 toys. Try to learn a nice song or poem.

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Marantz SR7013; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; M9702; LG 55SJ850V
Meze 99 Classics; FiiO X5 III
Yarra 3DX
post #56 of 62 Old 08-22-2019, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gactm View Post
Hey boys and gals. Wake up! I hope you’ve behaved yourselves over the last 2 ½ years. Santa Smyth is preparing to deliver your new Realiser A16 toys. Try to learn a nice song or poem.
Santa Smyth actually delivered mine on Monday.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro
Displays: LG OLED55C6,
Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Sold Off: Apple TV 4K, TCL P605 55", Amazon Fire TV 4k
post #57 of 62 Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Lucky you. Congratulations for your new toy.

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Marantz SR7013; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; M9702; LG 55SJ850V
Meze 99 Classics; FiiO X5 III
Yarra 3DX
post #58 of 62 Old 08-22-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
Santa Smyth actually delivered mine on Monday.
Thoughts / review of the unit? I'm interested in one but is frankly sounds too good to be true.
post #59 of 62 Old 08-22-2019, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Was there an email to show tracking information? I haven't received anything
post #60 of 62 Old 08-23-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder if they're sending it in kickstarter backer order or who gets theirs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page