*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7309Likes

post #3721 of 5026 Old 01-11-2018, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Again .. no clue how they do things in Australia; however, opening a USA unit would invalidate the USA warranty.
So, should I take it that warranty repairs in the USA are carried out without opening the unit?

We in Australia (well, i'd like to believe) do not even think about that kind of warranty. The consumer determines how he/she wants to be compensated once the product has been determined to be faulty. In this particular case of "not fit for purpose" speaker binding posts - the unit has to be opened to be repaired.

Last edited by Fruit; 01-11-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 5026 Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22734 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit View Post
So, should I take it that warranty repairs in the USA are carried out without opening the unit?

We in Australia (we'll i'd like to believe) do not even think about that kind of warranty. The consumer determines how he/she wants to be compensated once the product has been determined to be faulty. In this particular case of "not fit for purpose" speaker binding posts - the unit has to be opened to be repaired.
As this thread focuses on the USA models, I'll thank you for your repair procedure and leave it to USA owners to determine how they want to proceed.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
post #3723 of 5026 Old 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
That's all it does ... simulates audio to the height speakers.
So the sound resolution is the same when set to DTS-HD +DS, as it is with straight DTS-MA ?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 5026 Old 01-11-2018, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit View Post
Yes, it is relatively common. It is intermittent LOOSE CONTACT INSIDE THE SPEAKER BINDING POSTs. It is a real issue that Marantz should address.
If you live or bought your unit in Australia, you can claim a full refund under consumer guarantee laws, that products or their parts should be fit for their purpose. This model has faulty speaker binding posts.

See post 3486.

There are real issues with the speaker binding posts - mechanically, and perhaps metallurgically.
The mechanical construction of each binding post is unsound. The electrical components of each binding post is made up of three metal parts:
1. metal A that is soldered to the output trace on the circuit board,
2. metal B that forms the female part of the binding post. This, metal B is simply in contact to but NOT SOLDERED to metal A. This flimsy contact would definitely fail over time - because the contact is due only to pressure by the plastic casing. Plastic casings, in my experience, harden and lose flexibility over time.
3. Metal C that forms the male part of the binding post.

Metal A and metal B are not soldered together. They are even made of different materials. I am not educated in chemistry but I am thinkng about galvanic corrosion. Even if the contact between A and B are now good, over time, with galvanic corrosion ...

I opened up my unit, pulled out all the binding posts, then reconstructed them - soldered together the appropriate metal parts (metal A and metal B) of each. With that, I no longer suffer the annoyance of loose-contacts every couple of days or so.

But not everyone can safely do that.
Thanks for the info Fruit. In these 3700+ post threads sometimes it is tough to find what you need

I guess I'll send it in and see if they fix it. The retailer sold it as open box and as compensation knocked the price down and included a 3rd party 5yr extended warranty. If Marantz cannot fix it I would go to that 3rd party warranty and try to "cash out" by getting the purchase price of the receiver back. But if it is a flaw in the design of Marantz receivers, presumably Denons have an identical problem? I guess I could go back to Yamaha if I'm sufficiently dissatisfied but I do like this unit.
post #3725 of 5026 Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe View Post
Thanks for the info Fruit. In these 3700+ post threads sometimes it is tough to find what you need

I guess I'll send it in and see if they fix it. The retailer sold it as open box and as compensation knocked the price down and included a 3rd party 5yr extended warranty. If Marantz cannot fix it I would go to that 3rd party warranty and try to "cash out" by getting the purchase price of the receiver back. But if it is a flaw in the design of Marantz receivers, presumably Denons have an identical problem? I guess I could go back to Yamaha if I'm sufficiently dissatisfied but I do like this unit.
I like the unit too, except for 2 things: 1. the internal amps have been dumbed-down but still relatively better than Denon's and 2. those faulty speaker binding posts. I woud not say a design flaw by Marantz but a "corporate action to save by using the cheapest parts" that they can get.

I am not even sure whether the authorised repair shops know the specifics or root causes of the symptoms. I have read a case in this thread that one repairer replaced the speaker relays to fix the problem. Without knowing the internal defect of the binding posts, an unaware technician would rightly conclude that the symptoms can be attributed to the relays. While testing and replacing the relays one can mechanically vibrate the faulty binding posts so they'lll work again, albeit, temporarily - then they give back the unit to the customer saying it is fixed.

I am not sure whether you could specifically ask them to repair the real problem, which is that of "intermittent loose contact inside the speaker binding posts".

Last edited by Fruit; 01-11-2018 at 11:58 PM.
post #3726 of 5026 Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snave8 View Post
So the sound resolution is the same when set to DTS-HD +DS, as it is with straight DTS-MA ?
The AVR isn't changing the source audio codec. Regardless of what is displayed on the AVR, if a DTS HD-MA signal is received, then a DTS HD-MA signal is played regardless of whether you are using the DS or DTS Neural:X simulator to add audio to the height speakers.
post #3727 of 5026 Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
The AVR isn't changing the source audio codec. Regardless of what is displayed on the AVR, if a DTS HD-MA signal is received, then a DTS HD-MA signal is played regardless of whether you are using the DS or DTS Neural:X simulator to add audio to the height speakers.
Thanks for the explanation!

Mark
post #3728 of 5026 Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
You'll be waiting awhile then as Marantz USA doesn't post the firmware change log info.
Thanks. I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago and all is well other than some audio sync issues with my new Sony xbr900e TV, which may be the TV.
post #3729 of 5026 Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I am French and I do not speak English very well. I apologize if the problem has already been dealt with.

I bought a Marantz NR1607 amp there is a minus. I had no problem for 15 days all the speakers were working properly.

Now I have random problems with the front speakers. Sometimes the left speaker, the right speaker and or the center (never the rear speakers).

I turn on the amp and one of the speakers does not produce sound. I go to the settings to hear the test tone and if I put the sound of the amp to over 70 I hear in his very weak. After a moment (10 min - 20min + or -) the speaker works normally.

If I turn off the amp for a while, 1h or more of the speakers will not work again. Currently, the problem comes back most often on the right speaker ...

speakers: Monitor audio mass 5.1

I tested a lot of things:
- Check cables (+ and - terminals)
- Microprocessor reset
- hard reset
- update manual new firmware
- update old firmware manual
- exchange of speakers (all speakers work) the problem comes from the amp
- amp check on 8 ohms

Have you ever had this problem? I do not know what to test
Should I return the amp?

thank you very much
post #3730 of 5026 Old 01-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlamen View Post
Hello,

I am French and I do not speak English very well. I apologize if the problem has already been dealt with.

I bought a Marantz NR1607 amp there is a minus. I had no problem for 15 days all the speakers were working properly.

Now I have random problems with the front speakers. Sometimes the left speaker, the right speaker and or the center (never the rear speakers).

I turn on the amp and one of the speakers does not produce sound. I go to the settings to hear the test tone and if I put the sound of the amp to over 70 I hear in his very weak. After a moment (10 min - 20min + or -) the speaker works normally.

If I turn off the amp for a while, 1h or more of the speakers will not work again. Currently, the problem comes back most often on the right speaker ...

speakers: Monitor audio mass 5.1

I tested a lot of things:
- Check cables (+ and - terminals)
- Microprocessor reset
- hard reset
- update manual new firmware
- update old firmware manual
- exchange of speakers (all speakers work) the problem comes from the amp
- amp check on 8 ohms

Should I return the amp?

thank you very much
Yes, return the NR1607.
post #3731 of 5026 Old 01-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just tried to use the Online radio to listen to some Pandora, and it doesn't seem like it works at all. Nothing is displayed.internet radio button works, as it plays default music, but again nothing is displayed. Any ideas?
post #3732 of 5026 Old 01-14-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSpectre View Post
I just tried to use the Online radio to listen to some Pandora, and it doesn't seem like it works at all. Nothing is displayed.internet radio button works, as it plays default music, but again nothing is displayed. Any ideas?
Have you signed up for a Pandora account? Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.
post #3733 of 5026 Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi.

[Edit:] Marantz NR1607

Anybody else seen issues with streaming after the last firmware update? (Previous to last could've introduced the issue, but not 100% sure).

All our music is stored on a NAS box in either FLAC or HD FLAC format. 90% of the time, the receiver is either streaming music from the NAS or internet radio. After the last firmware update, it's starting to behave somewhat erratic. Introducing static into the audio, weird green stuff happening on the TV. Cold reset rectifies the problem for a day, or a few hours. This time, I've done a factory reset and reloaded the configuration. No result. Started introducing static in less than an hour.

The NAS box and receiver are both wired with gigabit to the same Netgear (108T) gigabit switch. I've cold-started the entire apartment this time (except the freezer) and it started happening again in less than an hour. I've done some testing, and the higher the bitrate of music streamed from the NAS, the faster it happens. Have a couple of Warrant albums copied from vinyl in 24bit/192khz, and playing those, it happens much faster than when say streaming internet radio in 192kbit.

Nothing goes wrong if the signal comes from TVbox, Playstation or Chromecast.

Short clip of what happens when streaming music off the NAS box. You can hear the static in the clip as well (disregard the kitchen noises in the background please).

Now - if this, as I think, was introduced in the latest, or previous firmware - is there any way to get a copy of the old firmware and downgrade it?. Of course I didn't save those before upgrading.

Cheers, and thank you for listening to my ramblings.
post #3734 of 5026 Old 01-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
HELP I am a new member here although do frequent the UK forums.
I have an SR6011 and am having problems playing SACD discs via a Sony blu-ray player.
No matter what I do I cannot get any sound connecting the sony via HDMI to any of the HDMI inputs on the Marantz.
The one exception to this is if I connect it to the front HDMI Aux 1 on the Marantz then I can get sound.
I am guessing this is something quite simple but for the life of me I can not work it out.
Is it something to do with the fact that the AUX1 HDMI does not have any upmixing on it?
If that is the case how do I turn off the upmixing on one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the Marantz?
This is a common problem with these and almost caused me to return mine- some sources work with the back inputs but not the front, and vice versa. I had to order a box from Asia called "Dr. HDMI" which let me use my Toshiba HD-DVD player with the rear inputs, it would not work otherwise. I have a laptop computer that I want to use with the front but will have to buy another box to do that. The receiver can upmix from any input, that has nothing to do with it.
post #3735 of 5026 Old 01-15-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlamen View Post
Hello,

Should I return the amp?

thank you very much
I agree avec the previous response from JDSoothie. Return it. It is a year old model. (My NR1607 has worked perfectly for a year.) I wonder if this was a unit that was used by a previous owner who returned it because he had problems?
post #3736 of 5026 Old 01-15-2018, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
If you were in the market today for a new receiver with a budget of around $1100, which of the following would you choose:

- sr6011 - As far as I've been able to understand identical to the sr7012 except for output power and a phono in.
- sr7011
- sr6012 - New model of the sr6011 with HEOS, which I am not interested in.

PS. The $1100 mark is for a refurbished sr7011/sr6012, the sr6011 I've seen for about $750.
post #3737 of 5026 Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauraus View Post
If you were in the market today for a new receiver with a budget of around $1100, which of the following would you choose:

- sr6011 - As far as I've been able to understand identical to the sr7012 except for output power and a phono in.
- sr7011
- sr6012 - New model of the sr6011 with HEOS, which I am not interested in.

PS. The $1100 mark is for a refurbished sr7011/sr6012, the sr6011 I've seen for about $750.
The SR6011 is hardly identical to the SR7012 or SR7011 for that matter ...

The SR6011 ...
- uses a 24bit DAC vs. 32 bit DAC
- includes a PHONO input
- does not feature custom 2CH settings (eg. for music listening with a dedicated set of FL/FR speaker settings)
- does not feature a 2nd main zone HDMI monitor output (eg. for PJ and TV in the same room)
- does not feature Zone 3
- does not feature HD radio
- does not feature 2 line front panel display
- does not feature backlit/learning remote
- does not feature ability to add Auro 3D upgrade (SR7011) or include it on board (SR7012)
- does not feature HEOS which allows using HEOS app to stream currently 1 of 12 different music services to the AVR as well as streaming 2CH audio to up to 32 HEOS speakers set up around the home
post #3738 of 5026 Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The SR6011 is hardly identical to the SR7012 or SR7011 for that matter ...

The SR6011 ...
- uses a 24bit DAC vs. 32 bit DAC
- includes a PHONO input
- does not feature custom 2CH settings (eg. for music listening with a dedicated set of FL/FR speaker settings)
- does not feature a 2nd main zone HDMI monitor output (eg. for PJ and TV in the same room)
- does not feature Zone 3
- does not feature HD radio
- does not feature 2 line front panel display
- does not feature backlit/learning remote
- does not feature ability to add Auro 3D upgrade (SR7011) or include it on board (SR7012)
- does not feature HEOS which allows using HEOS app to stream currently 1 of 12 different music services to the AVR as well as streaming 2CH audio to up to 32 HEOS speakers set up around the home
I am so sorry, I should have double checked what I wrote, I meant to compare the sr6011 vs sr7011 (NOT sr7012).

Does the sr7011 have the custom 2CH setup as well?
post #3739 of 5026 Old 01-16-2018, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I am so sorry, I should have double checked what I wrote, I meant to compare the sr6011 vs sr7011 (NOT sr7012).

It does!

Video: Sony BRAVIA KD-49X8505B / Marantz SR7011 / Apple TV 4 / PS4
Audio: Music Hall MMF 9.1 / Pro-Ject Tube Box DS + FullMusic / F: Quadral Platinum M4 / C: Boston CS 225 /R:KEF KHT-3005 / SW: KEF HTB2
post #3740 of 5026 Old 01-16-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:

All of the items apply to the SR7011 as noted in my previous post.
post #3741 of 5026 Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flerbizky View Post
Hi.

[Edit:] Marantz NR1607

Anybody else seen issues with streaming after the last firmware update? (Previous to last could've introduced the issue, but not 100% sure).

<snip>
ok. Small update to my own question. Found the initial firmware. Downgraded. Initialized settings. Guy I spoke to from the dealer yesterday got a bit pissy on me, kept saying that it's my router servicing the network with DLNA and stuff (which is not correct) and that that was probably the culprit despite me trying to convince him that it was definitely not the issue. Only DLNA service on my network is the NAS box. Router does absolutely nothing except serve as gateway to the outside world. (Not even DHCP)

Anyway: To remove that factor from the equation: What I did: Took the GFs laptop. Put a simple DHCP server on it. Copied a few albums in FLAC format to it. Installed Universal Media Server on it. Gave it a static IP, shared the albums with UMS. Removed everything else from the switch so it's only the receiver and the laptop (with DPCH) server. The receiver finds the Universal Media Server, Lists the Albums and plays like this:

So I guess it's going back to the shop :/

Last edited by Flerbizky; 01-16-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling....
post #3742 of 5026 Old 01-16-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
All of the items apply to the SR7011 as noted in my previous post.
Ok then the only ‘fair’ comparison is a sr7011 vs sr6012... however reading the forum here more the Denon x4400h and Yamaha 2070 have made and entry into my list... this is so hard.

I don’t need a 2nd zone let alone a 3rd zone and I will not be able to do anything more than 5.1 with the space that I have so I don’t really need 7+ channels, maybe just maybe I could squeeze in front high, but no rear speakers or overhead, getting side speakers was already a challenge.

If I could do away with my Apple TV that I solely use to stream AirPlay music then I’d take that on a receiver. I also have a mm7025 that I used my old stereo setup that I would love to reuse on my fronts.

I tried a SONY STR-ZA3000ES with my setup and I liked its power but wasn’t happy with the sound it produced and had problems with HDMI inputs.

So what is one to do?
post #3743 of 5026 Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have a question about my SR6011. I'm considering buying an Oppo 203 Bluray player and in the Oppo 203 thread, there is a discussion about using HDMI vs. the 7.1 outputs on the Oppo. I was under the impression that if you use the 7.1 outputs on the Oppo connected to the receiver, you would be taking advantage of the DAC in the Oppo, which is one of the main reasons to buy one, I would think. A couple of people said you should leave the signal digital as long as possible by using the HDMI. I raised the question about the DAC in the Oppo. One person responded saying that the analog 7.1 inputs on the Marantz would redigitize the signal anyway. Is that the case?

Thanks for any input!
post #3744 of 5026 Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkinay View Post
I have a question about my SR6011. I'm considering buying an Oppo 203 Bluray player and in the Oppo 203 thread, there is a discussion about using HDMI vs. the 7.1 outputs on the Oppo. I was under the impression that if you use the 7.1 outputs on the Oppo connected to the receiver, you would be taking advantage of the DAC in the Oppo, which is one of the main reasons to buy one, I would think. A couple of people said you should leave the signal digital as long as possible by using the HDMI. I raised the question about the DAC in the Oppo. One person responded saying that the analog 7.1 inputs on the Marantz would redigitize the signal anyway. Is that the case?

Thanks for any input!
Nope, however, most Oppo owners likely prefer using HDMI as it allows use of Audyssey which trumps the Oppo DAC vs. using the multi analog inputs and no Audyssey.
Flerbizky likes this.
post #3745 of 5026 Old 01-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Took the plunged ordered an sr7011 from a seller on Amazon.
pbz06 likes this.
post #3746 of 5026 Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Nope, however, most Oppo owners likely prefer using HDMI as it allows use of Audyssey which trumps the Oppo DAC vs. using the multi analog inputs and no Audyssey.
In addition 7.1 analog means no ATMOS or DTS:X for movies that support them
post #3747 of 5026 Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
In addition 7.1 analog means no ATMOS or DTS:X for movies that support them
True, although I'm guessing most Oppo 205 owners using the multi analog outputs are doing so for music listening only.
post #3748 of 5026 Old 01-17-2018, 02:40 PM

Which of the 2 Marantz iOS apps is the right / better one for a sr7011?

The AppStore has:
- Marantz Remote App
- Marantz 2016 AVR Remote
post #3749 of 5026 Old 01-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

The AppStore has:
- Marantz Remote App
Marantz 2016 AVR Remote is the one you want.
post #3750 of 5026 Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:

The AppStore has:
- Marantz Remote App
The Marantz SR7011 is a 2016 model so you would use the 2016 AVR Remote app (the newer of the two apps), which should also be used on the 2017 models as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
analog or toslink headphones sr6011 , audio outputs , marantz receiver ethernet playback noise , NR-1607

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page