*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7305Likes

post #4171 of 4937 Old 04-06-2018, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21990 Post(s)
Liked: 11927
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post
I made an interesting discovery tonight on my 7011. I'd previously posted that when passing a HDR signal from my appletv that I would get color banding when passing through the 7011. The same signal direct to the my LG B6 OLED without the 7011 would not display banding.

I was moving somethings around tonight and tested this again. When using the Blu-ray hdmi input the Marantz does not introduce banding. When switching to the DVD hdmi input, I get banding.

I'm really happy with this discovery as I love the sound of the receiver but having to bypass for HDR was frustrating. See attached photos one with banding is DVD the other is Blu-ray (inputs both sources are the same apple 4ktv), all settings are the same.

@jdsmoothie - are you aware of any difference between the two HDMI inputs?
Yup. It's long been known that some HDMI inputs will react different from others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4937 Old 04-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup. It's long been known that some HDMI inputs will react different from others.
Not sure I phrased the question correct. Are the hdmi inputs on the Marantz all rated the same? i.e. do they only rate specific inputs for HDR compatibility.

LG 65B6P - Marantz 7011
Sierra 2 (L/C/R/SR) - HSU VTF-15H MK2
post #4173 of 4937 Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 71
As far as I know only the front one in some low/mid entry are NON 4k hdr compliant, regardless the rear ones farthest from the output ones are prone to banding, in some cases.
My two cents
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 4937 Old 04-07-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Not sure I phrased the question correct. Are the hdmi inputs on the Marantz all rated the same? i.e. do they only rate specific inputs for HDR compatibility.
Although the front HDMI has some limited video processing, AFAIK, all are HDR capable.
post #4175 of 4937 Old 04-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
As far as I know only the front one in some low/mid entry are NON 4k hdr compliant, regardless the rear ones farthest from the output ones are prone to banding, in some cases.
My two cents
Regards
Alessandro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Although the front HDMI has some limited video processing, AFAIK, all are HDR capable.
Thanks for the replies. Interesting, I've never encountered a specific input in my other receivers in the past that couldn't pass through at the same quality (that wasn't noted as not being able to). Not a big deal as I don't have enough 4k HDR sources for it to matter. Just happy to be able to pass HDR through the AVR again. Cheers.

LG 65B6P - Marantz 7011

Last edited by chef jer; 04-07-2018 at 12:06 PM.
post #4176 of 4937 Old 04-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Here we are, Denon customer help, I found it because someone else posted it recently here in another thread :
https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...gh-not-working
chef jer likes this.

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #4177 of 4937 Old 04-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
Here we are, Denon customer help, I found it because someone else posted it recently here in another thread :
https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...gh-not-working
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I'll test out even closer to the out and see if it makes any additional difference.

LG 65B6P - Marantz 7011
post #4178 of 4937 Old 04-11-2018, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Has there ever been talk of the IR Flasher IN being finicky on the 7011? I have a Harmony Ultimate and I am not a novice at setting these things up. Here's the situation, I have the 3.5mm cable running from the hub to the FLASHER IN on the 7011 and it is a mess. Sometimes it works but more than usually it doesn't. The hub blinks, so it's getting the commands but the receiver NEVER powers on with an activity. Everything else triggers perfectly, I have all the the hub assignments correct and if I just use the hub over IR, not wired, everything works perfectly. Another thing is, if I manually power on the 7011, wired IR from the hub, I can then control it no problem. I've tried a million different power on sequences and a million different delays and it just isn't solid. Has this come up before?
post #4179 of 4937 Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I'll test out even closer to the out and see if it makes any additional difference.
It's normal to construct a 7-input receiver from a pair of 4x1 HDMI transceiver chips, with AVR inputs 1-4 going to the first chip and the output daisy chained to input 1 on the second chip, which also handles AVR inputs 5-7 using the remaining three input slots.

In theory, all of the inputs should still behave the same. In practice, well, the inputs right next to the HDMI output tend to be a little more robust than the other HDMI inputs or an HDMI input on the front panel.
chef jer likes this.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #4180 of 4937 Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I recently picked up Elac B6 and since I already have Dali doing the fronts & center duty, I have no other choice than to use it as for Surrounds.

Would like to know the detailed settings where I can use only Elac B6 while listening to music (online music/Bluetooth etc) and it works as surrounds while watching movies (bluray/tv audio etc.)

Thanks.

HT 5.2.4 - Marantz SR6011 -> Elac B6.2 + Elac C5.2 + Elac B6 (surround) + JBL Control 1 (TM) + JBL B15 (RH) + Two SVS PB1000
Samsung Bluray Player
post #4181 of 4937 Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidher View Post
I recently picked up Elac B6 and since I already have Dali doing the fronts & center duty, I have no other choice than to use it as for Surrounds.

Would like to know the detailed settings where I can use only Elac B6 while listening to music (online music/Bluetooth etc) and it works as surrounds while watching movies (bluray/tv audio etc.)

Thanks.
Unfortunately, the 6011 is not designed to provide output only on the 5.1 surround speaker connections with the others silenced.

I think the easiest workaround is to physically change where they're connected, perhaps using banana plugs or an external speaker switch.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #4182 of 4937 Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Unfortunately, the 6011 is not designed to provide output only on the 5.1 surround speaker connections with the others silenced.

I think the easiest workaround is to physically change where they're connected, perhaps using banana plugs or an external speaker switch.
Thanks, actually when I was using sr6009, @jdsmoothie gave me a workaround which worked. I am not able to find that old Post...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

HT 5.2.4 - Marantz SR6011 -> Elac B6.2 + Elac C5.2 + Elac B6 (surround) + JBL Control 1 (TM) + JBL B15 (RH) + Two SVS PB1000
Samsung Bluray Player
post #4183 of 4937 Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I made an interesting discovery tonight on my 7011. I'd previously posted that when passing a HDR signal from my appletv that I would get color banding when passing through the 7011. The same signal direct to the my LG B6 OLED without the 7011 would not display banding.

I was moving somethings around tonight and tested this again. When using the Blu-ray hdmi input the Marantz does not introduce banding. When switching to the DVD hdmi input, I get banding.

I'm really happy with this discovery as I love the sound of the receiver but having to bypass for HDR was frustrating. See attached photos one with banding is DVD the other is Blu-ray (inputs both sources are the same apple 4ktv), all settings are the same.

@jdsmoothie - are you aware of any difference between the two HDMI inputs?
Video settings are per-input, are there *any* differences in your settings for the DVD input vs the others? Does the banding occur both with video set to passthrough vs processed? It would be interesting to determine if it really is a hardware issue with the DVD input, or some setting that causes the problem you are seeing.
post #4184 of 4937 Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
Video settings are per-input, are there *any* differences in your settings for the DVD input vs the others? Does the banding occur both with video set to passthrough vs processed? It would be interesting to determine if it really is a hardware issue with the DVD input, or some setting that causes the problem you are seeing.
No difference in settings between input. Occurs with Marantz processing on and off. There are a few other reports of this if you search the internet and forums. Moving away from DVD input or removing the Marantz from the chain results in no banding for me.

LG 65B6P - Marantz 7011
post #4185 of 4937 Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have SR6011. When I was deciding for the receiver in 2016, I discounted my need for HEOS as I thought it was mainly for setting up wireless speakers.

Lately I have found myself listening to music streaming services like Apple Music, Amazon Music, et al (Spotify is not available in my country). Although I have a good collection of high resolution music files but I still find myself on the music streaming services more often. And so here's my dilemma - I have to use Bluetooth if I want to stream to the receiver for my music streaming needs. Of course I am an android user and have no apple devices to boast.

The problem statement: music over bluetooth is lossy. Especially with streaming services it is even worse. I need to improve the quality of music when using streaming services... I need help with selecting best option...

Option 1: Buy an apple device - an iPad or iPod touch. I can then use airplay. My understanding is that unlike bluetooth, airplay doesn't compresses music. Not too keen to buy an apple device just so that I can airplay

Option 2: Buy Denon's HEOS link. But then I am not using the pre-amp section of my receiver at all. I had chosen Marantz over Denon by fantasizing better music quality of Marantz

Option 3: Use a third party app for my android device that can airplay to the receiver? Does anyone on this forum has any experience with airplay from android device to SR6011 (or other Marantz receivers)? For example an app like Allcast...

Option 4: Are there any other options that are not listed above and can improve sound quality for my streaming needs?

I hope airplay will give better quality music than bluetooth for my streaming needs. It is also possible that I am only fretting over something
post #4186 of 4937 Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I have SR6011. When I was deciding for the receiver in 2016, I discounted my need for HEOS as I thought it was mainly for setting up wireless speakers.

Lately I have found myself listening to music streaming services like Apple Music, Amazon Music, et al (Spotify is not available in my country). Although I have a good collection of high resolution music files but I still find myself on the music streaming services more often. And so here's my dilemma - I have to use Bluetooth if I want to stream to the receiver for my music streaming needs. Of course I am an android user and have no apple devices to boast.

The problem statement: music over bluetooth is lossy. Especially with streaming services it is even worse. I need to improve the quality of music when using streaming services... I need help with selecting best option...

Option 1: Buy an apple device - an iPad or iPod touch. I can then use airplay. My understanding is that unlike bluetooth, airplay doesn't compresses music. Not too keen to buy an apple device just so that I can airplay

Option 2: Buy Denon's HEOS link. But then I am not using the pre-amp section of my receiver at all. I had chosen Marantz over Denon by fantasizing better music quality of Marantz

Option 3: Use a third party app for my android device that can airplay to the receiver? Does anyone on this forum has any experience with airplay from android device to SR6011 (or other Marantz receivers)? For example an app like Allcast...

Option 4: Are there any other options that are not listed above and can improve sound quality for my streaming needs?

I hope airplay will give better quality music than bluetooth for my streaming needs. It is also possible that I am only fretting over something
Chromecast Audio with an optical cable and BubbleUPNP for your Android phone are a great combo and super cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
akbaree and vn800art like this.
post #4187 of 4937 Old 04-13-2018, 11:33 PM

Chromecast ultra if you would want some Uhd AND Hdr video to show in the near future; not downsizing, this time.
I personally have Nvidia Satv, but Tidal, for example, is internally converted from AAC to Pcm, an this sonically sounds different (worst) from Tidal through Heos app in my Sr7011.
You better investigate a bit this quirkiness before deciding.
Sound from Hdmi (Chr. Ultra), would always be good and multichannel if needed, I believe.
Regards
Alessandro
akbaree likes this.

post #4188 of 4937 Old 04-14-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post
Chromecast Audio with an optical cable and BubbleUPNP for your Android phone are a great combo and super cheap.

I just checked the Chromecast Audio specs and it only has 3.5mm jack. Although I will explore this a little more. Also Chromecast Ultra.

Last edited by akbaree; 04-14-2018 at 12:39 AM.
post #4189 of 4937 Old 04-14-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Thanks, actually when I was using sr6009, @jdsmoothie gave me a workaround which worked. I am not able to find that old Post...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
IIRC, back then you asked about a 7.1 setup in which case the Surround Back speakers are assignable and can double as Zone 2 speakers; however, not possible with only a 5.1 setup as the Surround speaker posts are not assignable.
murlidher likes this.
post #4190 of 4937 Old 04-14-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
I just checked the Chromecast Audio specs and it only has 3.5mm jack. Although I will explore this a little more. Also Chromecast Ultra.
My apologies. You are correct. I ended up using a 3.5 mm mini to TOSLINK connector.

akbaree likes this.
post #4191 of 4937 Old 04-14-2018, 04:57 AM

I should also mention that the Chromecast Audio supports up to 96KHz/24bit lossless audio playback. Additionally, you can create a group of devices and cast to them so you can be playing the same tunes in various areas. This is nice to blanket your house with music.

Did I mention that it's only $35? I realize it's not a high end set-up but it's hard to beat the price.

akbaree likes this.
post #4192 of 4937 Old 04-14-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I should also mention that the Chromecast Audio supports up to 96KHz/24bit lossless audio playback. Additionally, you can create a group of devices and cast to them so you can be playing the same tunes in various areas. This is nice to blanket your house with music.

Did I mention that it's only $35? I realize it's not a high end set-up but it's hard to beat the price.

Thanks. It is definitely compelling. However it natively supports only Google Play Music. It doesn't has support for Apple Music and Amazon Music - the two services I am currently using. But then I can switch to Google Play Music. That way I also get ad free YouTube Red.

I am still not sure what is the role of BubbleUPNP in all this? I am also considering a Plex Pass for my recently bought QNAP NAS.
post #4193 of 4937 Old 04-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It is definitely compelling. However it natively supports only Google Play Music. It doesn't has support for Apple Music and Amazon Music - the two services I am currently using. But then I can switch to Google Play Music. That way I also get ad free YouTube Red.

I am still not sure what is the role of BubbleUPNP in all this? I am also considering a Plex Pass for my recently bought QNAP NAS.
BubbleUPnP acts as a remote for me to play music on my NAS to my Chromecast Audio. It can actually send various media types to various media players.

There a pretty active thread on XDA.

post #4194 of 4937 Old 04-14-2018, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
6011 Stereo question

Hi guys. I am looking to get an SR6011 for my theater room. I also have turntables set up in the same space and I would like to use the Front L/R speakers as monitors for the turntables. It looks like in direct mode the 6011 strictly plays 2 channel stereo. Is there a way to get 2 channel stereo plus the sub(s)? The front left and right speakers I'm looking to run for theater are notably smaller than the powered monitors I currently have dedicated to the turntables but I think if I can get the subs in play with the L/R fronts without getting the center, surrounds and height channels in the act I will be ok with it and I'll be able to ditch the powered monitors for the sake of space. Thanks in advance.
post #4195 of 4937 Old 04-15-2018, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative459 View Post
Hi guys. I am looking to get an SR6011 for my theater room. I also have turntables set up in the same space and I would like to use the Front L/R speakers as monitors for the turntables. It looks like in direct mode the 6011 strictly plays 2 channel stereo. Is there a way to get 2 channel stereo plus the sub(s)? The front left and right speakers I'm looking to run for theater are notably smaller than the powered monitors I currently have dedicated to the turntables but I think if I can get the subs in play with the L/R fronts without getting the center, surrounds and height channels in the act I will be ok with it and I'll be able to ditch the powered monitors for the sake of space. Thanks in advance.
look here http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7011/EU...SYlqlymuqz.php

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #4196 of 4937 Old 04-15-2018, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Also look here - http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7011/EU...SYgntxjrhm.php

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #4197 of 4937 Old 04-15-2018, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Thanks, Bob. I think I found my answer.

Marantz SR-6011, Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR, Pioneer SP-EBS73-LR, Pioneer SPC-22 (Philharmonic Audio edition), Monoprice Monolith 10 THX subwoofer, Xbox One, BenQ HT-2050A, 100" Silver Ticket
post #4198 of 4937 Old 04-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Yup. When using DIRECT or PURE DIRECT, you can set the sub to "LFE + MAIN" and the FL/FR will play as LARGE and the sub will also play the lower frequencies below the FL/FR crossover (aka "double bass"), although note that Audyssey will be disabled. Most likely prefer using the STEREO surround mode with the FL/FR set to SMALL/80Hz which will keep Audyssey enabled and pass the lower frequencies just to the sub.
post #4199 of 4937 Old 04-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

The Amazon Music android app has Chromecast ability now. I use it all the time. Works great.
akbaree likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #4200 of 4937 Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

We have our home set up w. a CCA (Ccastaudio) being an input on our NR-1607. it is part of a Google Home Group consisting of 2 other CCAs feeding speakers in other rooms along with 3 Google Homes acting as speakers in other places. Flawless whole home music with our wifi mesh system. Before getting the Google wfi mesh, wifi was too unstable.
gpzbc and akbaree like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
analog or toslink headphones sr6011 , audio outputs , marantz receiver ethernet playback noise , NR-1607

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page